Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Multiplay Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (PBEM) Game 3

Hellraiser

Arcane
You're already going for the merchant exchange? Or did a pod bestow upon you terraforming/bio-engineering?

Establishing a second base already is not surprising. You're Morgan, second base=more Yehzah=more EVERYTHING (as Morgan). And the -3 pop cap means you can live with less space per base so overlapping is less of an issue.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I never did like the concept of ICSing (so ugly and micro-heavy)
You do what you have to do. My two bases are 1 tile away from each other because I only have 1 nutrient resourse and no guarantee of finding anything better for miles around. Might as well settle right where I started.

And unless I find any other nutrients around, that's probably where my third base is going to be as well. :P

Cassidy

Arcane

vNBy2Nr.png

Nevill

Arcane
I can't into fancy pictures, so I'll just leave it here.
First.jpg

I'll let you guess what it is.

Hellraiser

Arcane

EX-CATHEDRA: THE VOICE OF REASON
A scholar's weekly intellectual news nodecast with Eva Petrenko, PhD

Season 01 Episode 01 - Upload Date: Sol 09/07/2117

Ex%20Cathedra%201.png~original

Salutations, my name is Eva Petrenko, although you may have already heard of me due to my revolutionary doctoral thesis "Applied Social Psychology in the frontier colonial environment of Chiron". Thanks to the wonders of the new University backbone, we are now able to deliver broadband-intensive content between all current and future University Colonial Bases. Therefore, with the full support of the faculty, I have been tasked with delivering you this weekly nodecast, available both in live streaming and archived episodes on the datalinks.

The aim of this show will be to promote ideas of reason and scientific progress. Ideas which will turn us all into better human beings, unhindered by the superstitions of the past. Ideas such as scepticism, atheism, empiricism, creativity and of course the pursuit of knowledge.

Ex%20Cathedra%201b.png~original

First of all, the latest news. Terraforming projects are already bearing fruit, quite literary at that. The crop yields of Zoloto-Gold have nearly quadrupled thanks to the farming infrastructure development of the terraforming crews. With ad-hoc greenhouses replaced with proper irrigation and new agri-machines deployed, Zoloto-Gold can produce much more food than it needs at this stage. Christopher Peyson and his team now focus on other vital infrastructure and development, as the threat of famine has been eliminated for years to come.

The UNV Curiositas, the sole oceanic exploration vessel of the University, has located a floating Unity supply pod. Within the pod a number of rovers has been located. Our explorers have secured the rovers transporting them aboard the Curiositas back to Continent Alpha. They will be used to further explore the continent.

In further exploration news, there are still no signs of other human survivors. Many views this as a blessing, as unfortunate as such reference to supernatural beliefs which we should indeed cast aside is. With no potentially hostile and barbaric elements, possibly lead by the same group of saboteurs who have killed Captain Garland, the University is free from potential aggression and tyranny of the ignoramuses.

Contact with the Homeworld has not been established. It is presumed the Lascomm relay aboard the Unity has been destroyed before entering orbit around Chiron, so such news is not unexpected. However the radiotelescopes of University Base have failed to detect any artificial radio signals coming from Sol. Industrial civilization on Earth is thus presumed to have been annihilated by the forces of greed, ignorance and zeal.

Ex%20Cathedra%201a.png~original

Which brings us to the next important piece of building a better world and a better mankind on Chiron. Our Children. The first Generation of Chironborn Humans is slowly approaching adulthood. Their minds are a true Tabula Rasa, for they are untainted by the anti-intellectual horrors that plagued the Homeworld. Horrors which have no doubt doomed humanity.

One such Horror was "Social" Media, actually an effective medium for the spread of narcissism, egoism and anti-intelectual behaviour such as selfies. The Internet, in all its potential to spread knowledge and create a technological singularity, was turned into petri dish for ignorance, by making the populace mentally lazy, self-centered and focused on funny pictures of kittens. This tragedy cannot come to pass on planet, keep our datalinks safe, report all attempts of social media software and content development to your local Scienta Custos.

Then there were commercial media: television, the radio and the dreaded film industry, all of it dedicated to lobotomising mankind. They fed us images of celebrities, sexual arousal and flashy action devoid of intellectual thought. They promoted a lifestyle of decadence, passive behaviour of an obedient "receiver" and willing ignorance. They put the anti-science politicians in power, for the benefit of the Corporate overlords.

Sports, circus for the rabble. A time-waster achieving exactly nothing to further the cause of uncovering the mysteries of the Universe. There can be no place for this vile, wasteful activity in the borders of the University. Only faculty-sanctioned competition is permitted or our children shall become intellectual zombies incapable of creativity and rational thought.

Religion is the last and most obvious threat. It is what turned the once scholarly cultures of the Middle-East into rabble. It is what destroyed the ancient artefacts of Constantinople. It is what turned America from the spearhead of scientific progress into a paradise for christian impersonators of Boko Haram. Report anyone found praying or otherwise at suspicion of having belief in the supernatural including, but not limited to: organised religion, god or gods, ghosts, visitors, melonheads, astrology, interest in old homeworld celebrities, weather forecasts and vaccines causing autism. Those people need help in the form of deprogramming or sterilization so the gene pool remains pro-intelectual. The Scienta Custos must intervene in such cases!

That will be all for this week. Stream-in next week or download. This was Eva Petrenko, live long and prosper.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
"What the fuck did you just fucking did about my bases, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on the Christian States of America, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire Spartan Forces. Your faction and you are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Planet, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with mass murdering Spartans? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the Planet and your geolocation is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggots. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little faction you call Gaians. You’re fucking dead, hippie. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Spartan Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the Planet, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” aggression with mind worms was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking inhumanity. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you Gaians and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, pinkos."

-- Hastily written message found in the ruins of the first Sparta Command.

(More detailed fluff about this early near annihilation of the Spartans coming later. Almost looks like this is a cursed faction considering its fate in the previous 2 games.

:M )

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
We need more Ph D's in science, I approve. :salute:

Not much to report on our front. The pods that landed on our continent have all fallen from our part of the ship, which means half of the landmass is covered by a forest already (seriously, three pods with forests are a bit too much, all the money probably landed with Morgan or something). For a while now we've been seeing traces of human activity near our borders, but we didn't ruin our fungal cover just to check them out. Once we got all three mind worms in strategic positions, we poked our head out of xenofungus to politely greet our neighbours.

They turned out to be Spartans and called us hippies and libruls. 'Dem were fighting words. They left us no choice.

First_combat.jpg

Bunker.jpg

Sparta_relocated.jpg
Santiago.jpg

Mood: quarrelsome. Personality: erratic. Sounds like the Colonel I know. :salute:

And now, back to spreading Love and Peace again.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Right click on the faction in the Council menu (left-click opens negotiations, right-click offers the info). That's how I knew Cassidy had two bases (and a Colony Pod somewhere) - his pop went down from 3 to 2. I figured I won't find a better time to settle this.

Almost looks like this is a cursed faction considering its fate in the previous 2 games.
This is the hardest faction to play, by far.

I remember the difficulty going like this:
University - Gaians & Hive - Peacekeepers & Believers - Spartans.
Morganites difficulty varies wildly depending on starting conditions, but they are tough to master.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
(As you can no doubt tell from "empathic" intelligence reports, yours truly is already running Free Market)
Yep. A very early adopter, too. I don't know if I agree, but then again, I am not used to playing with Pods. You are going for a RecTanks rush start, I assume?

The Hive is running Police State and I am running Planned. Uni didn't adopt anything yet, I think.

disk failure

Educated
Well put me in the kitchen and call me Carol. You sure know how to run a smooth operation, Cassidy. How many dicks must I watch Santiago suck? I barely started reading this shit for heaven's sake. This genocide must be avenged.

Nevill

Arcane
[...] one year after destroying our homes and in many cases our families [...]
Santiago is just salty that Deirdre is hotter than the Colonel and that her boyfriend dumped her survivalist antics for forest picnics and barbeques. Deirdre is a real homewrecker like that. :roll:

That probably means an undying, murderous grudge that only a jealous woman is capable of. The Power of Friendship seems to be wasted on that one. :(

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Miriam is still the ultimate babe.

Meanwhile:

cjGx1zK.png

Morgan Industries - mankind's greatest and possibly only mega-corporation - shines brightly as the first and foremost beacon of prosperity on Planet. We Morganites have a long and proud history, tracing our roots to the vast financial empire of humanity's most shrewd businessman: Nwabudike Morgan himself. Having built a world-spanning agrotech, diamond, comfort service and mercenary enterprise entirely from the ground up, he is uniquely qualified to guide us through this century and beyond. Indeed, were it not for CEO Morgan's differentiating, value-added strategy of transformational change, none of us shareholders, nor anyone else for that matter, would likely be here on Planet today. How come? Why, it was Morgan Industries that successfully funded and managed the Unity project in the first place, competently guiding us through space with brilliant, cutting-edge success!

We at Morgan Industries encapsulate this quality-assured get-it-done attitude of our professional visionary, and the proven tradition of not merely securing fiscal alliances and forming cutting-edge partnerships but also dynamically reinventing the very rules of the game will inevitably elevate us to a new-generation major player. Already a first-class paradigm shift has been initiated by the signing of our first commercial treaty, set to revitalize our mining sector, level the playing field in energy production and seriously kickstart optimized fungal extermination. With superior products comes superior customer relations, and customer synergy brings win-win opportunities. Execution of our enterprise-wide, outside-the-box growth strategy will fiscally secure and reconceptualize every single market on Chiron, bringing wealth, prosperity and luxury to shareholders and customers alike! Morgan Industries - Because Success has a Name!

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane

Faction Power Ratings 2124

game03ranking2124.png~original

Gaians in the lead following the conquest of Sparta. Here's hoping they don't snowball. I still have a huge trauma when it comes to Gaians snowballing after that first PBEM game (although I learned a shitload during all that rape, which is half of the reason why I am doing so well as the Hive in game 2).

My University is in second place and in the tech lead, mostly boosted by all that tech. Unsurprisingly Morgan is close third, for the same reason that he has better early game teching than nearly everybody else.

The current ratings are largely influenced by tech, this is best shown by the Believers who are no doubt expanding in peace but have jack shit when it comes to tech (at least nobody admitted to encountering and murdering them yet). The Spartans are not that far behind them despite ITZ (Spartan-Gaian hatred is universal across games at this stage it seems).

Hive is seemingly doing not so good as well, but then again the Hive's early game teching is also known to be atrocious as it loses out on a major chunk of early game energy due to the -2 Econ penalty (if the Believers did not have the no lab points for 10 turns penalty they could nearly always out-tech the Hive early game IMO). Then again the Chairman's strength is in blobbing and spamming units not teching.

We'll see how the ratings will look after the conquerors find some victims.

In other news:

curiositasdoomed.png~original

:rage:

There goes the Curiositas. At least I got those rovers safely to shore before popping more sea pods. The sea is a harsh mistress.

Also I located a neighbour, but who it is and where shall remain a secret, for now.

Nevill

Arcane
The update on Gaian situation is ~2 years late, but that's to be expected. Who has time for this stuff when there are new sorts of weed to grow?

It appears that our scouting efforts hit a brickwalll.
Scouting.jpg

We were already hurting a bit from a skirmish with the Spartans, and a series of encounters with wild life didn't make our situation much better. The rovers are in need of repairs, they can't even disengage properly from the worms anymore. And the worms need a vacation, too. Last time I tried to get a wounded worm away from a pod-spawned one, I found yet another. And for some reason they resist our attempts to capture them. These encounters have provided us with a steady supply of credits so far, but it appears we will have to take a break from constant worm trawling. BTW, did anyone read and successfully implement this?

We have found a lot of nutrient resourses, and combined with the Planned Economy we are looking at a fast population growth. Mineral income is a bit lackluster, however, even though the pod-spawned forests help a bit. The biggest mineral deposits lie where Cleve's Bunker used to be, which served as one of the primary reasons for its annihilation.
Nutrients.jpg
I am experimenting a bit with the values on the SE screen each turn. Econ and Labs need to be in balance unless your EFFIC setting is high enough to avoid energy losses due to inefficiency. By putting 10% of energy to Psych you can sometimes narrow that gap and squeeze a bit of extra for your research (if you put Labs at 100% and Econ to 0% the gap would be so large that the inefficiency would eat all of the benefits).
SE_settings.jpg
The Spartans continue being the harbringers of Decline and refuse all contact. :(
Diplomacy.jpg
jealous-countries.jpg

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane

EX-CATHEDRA: THE VOICE OF REASON

A scholar's weekly intellectual news nodecast with Eva Petrenko, PhD

Season 11 Episode 17 - Upload Date: Sol 25/04/2128

Ex%20Cathedra%202.png~original

Salutations, my name is Eva Petrenko, welcome to this week's episode of Ex-Cathedra.

EXPLORATION NEWS

The Badlands, poorly charted, poor in resources, arid and about as boring to most researchers as going to Mars using a chemical rocket, launching from Chiron. Scouts report that this region lacks any useful materials originating from the Unity wreckage, possibly picked clean by the scouts of our neighbours. Nevertheless our brave Decempatador Explorator squads continue, fighting and purging various kinds of vermin discovered along the way.

VERMIN NEWS

Ex%20Cathedra%202a.png~original

Vermin, the planet is crawling with it. While the first wave of university expansion has successfully crossed Fungal Zone Prime, many feared this indigenous barrier would lure mindworms which might have killed thousands and devoured our equipment with their corrosive secretions. Indeed many still remember last year's tragic sinking of the Curiositas, which fell victim to a new species dubbed Exteritta Profunda. A species which seems to posses the same communal-psionic characteristics of the mindworms. Some within the xenobiology faculty believe that with proper mental training and large doses of neuro-stimulants, an able mind might be able to not just resist the psionic signals of the mindworm boil, but actually force it to submit to his will.

The faculty of Biology is now in deadlock over the issue of what is more important to the future development of their field. Should the study of native psionics, dismissed by some as nonsense about as real as progenitor artefacts and monolithic universal constructors, be next on the agenda? Or should the focus be on the creation and breeding of artificial lifeforms, such as the proposed Greasel or Karkian? Should we revive the Velociraptor and engineer it to adapt to Chiron's atmosphere to warn us of mindworms? Can mindworms be used as domesticated pets or as a delicacy in the University cafeteria? This debate has already claimed a dozen casualties including two fatalities after the last meeting of the faculty of Biology in Zoloto-Gold.

POWER NEWS

Ex%20Cathedra%202b.png~original

Energy, the lifeblood of our labs and of our lifesupport systems. Thanks to a variety of measures including, but not limited to, solar farm construction, forest planting, development paradigm shifting and of course commercial trade, the University's power production capacity has now exceeded 1.21 Jiggawatts. This announcement has been made following the Provosts decision to standardize the pronunciation and spelling of all SI units.

With Zoloto-Gold at the forefront of Energy production, thanks to its high elevation and positions amongst vital trade routes, the faculty is convinced the current model of Energy grid expansion can be applied to other bases. Mir-Lab, the newest and first base established beyond Fungal Zone Prime, is already benefiting from the extra energy brought into the grid. The labs of the University are fed massive amounts of energy, allowing us to no doubt lead the charge against ignorance into the bold new frontiers of science.

SCIENCE NEWS

With the advent of advanced network infrastructure cybernetics enthusiasts demand holographic waifu theatres, MMOs and robots. The faculty is debating whether there is some reason in their demands or if the Custodes Rationis should just Nerve Staple the lot of them. Sterilization was also considered, but the faculty believes it would be redundant giving the breeding potential of the people in question.

We can now use differential equations to answer important questions such as: "Is nerve gas bombing of religious fanatics ethical?". The answer may seem obvious, but knowing how to reach that answer is more important than knowing the answer. As a result drones now demand democracy and a say in government, the Provost tells them to increase their IQ first. Many wonder if developing the Ethical Calculus was worth it.

I would also like to take a moment to announce the start of a new nodecast series, University Sceptics. In the pilot episode the two Sceptics will debunk many silly myths, such as "progenitors", "monoliths", "artefacts", the murder of Captain Garland, the supposed "launch" of an escape pod from Chiron years after Planetfall and of course the "planetmind" theory.

LESS RELEVANT NEWS

The Custodes Rationis report far less incidents and unrest ever since the University Base "Den of Dungeons" boardgaming and PnP lounge opened. The lounge, a project in which my own research was involved, has channelled the heated debate and ethical outrage present in our frontier society into harmless competition with low risk of physical injury. The smooth round-edged 20-sided dice and no-paper-cut cards of the lounge help in keeping things that way.

One positive side effect of this was the fact the the Orbital Society of Chiron, which scheduled massive riots over the fact that the University is not launching rockets into space, had to cancel its demonstration citing low interest and estimated attendance. Seemingly everybody previously interested decided they rather play the classic boardgame adaptation of Dune, because the spice must flow.

This has been all for this week, stream in next week. Live long and prosper.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Turn 2130 was a good one for the Gaians.
Secret.jpg
An interesting tidbit - Morgan learned Planetary Networks in 2124 and learned Industrial Automation the very next turn. Must have found one of those in a pod somewhere. At first I thought they traded with the University, but now I realize the Russians only learned it in 2128 themselves.

Morgan might outtech the rest of the factions now.

I also encountered a bug that makes my life more difficult than it has to be. I don't know if it is kyrub's/scient's patch messing things up or just general SMAC bugginess, though I haven't encountered it in vanilla. It affects the retooling penalty.

Generally, it works like this: if you change production, you lose half of the accumulated minerals above a certain number, except when you switch one secret project for another one. The first 10 minerals are exempt from this exchange (so if you have accumulated 20 minerals and switch production, you only lose 5). The game will ask you if you want to lose the extra minerals if you switch, just to make sure. Even if you do switch, you can revert the action and switch back without losing anything if you do it immediately.

Well, for me it does not work that way. If I change anything at any time*, I get penalized. I noticed this when I tried to switch from a colony pod that had accumulated its first mineral row (8 minerals) to a scout to defend a base. The scout only had 4 minerals accumulated and was unable to complete on the next turn. The game didn't ask me about it, and neither did it allow me to switch back to the Colony Pod. I have lost those minerals forever (and a working turn with them). That happened several times until I finally understood what happened.

I suppose from here now on I will have to carefully plan my building queue, but I wanted to ask if anyone is experiencing the same thing.

Wonder if building Skunkworks will make it go away. It makes retooling a completely free action as one of its undocumented features. :roll:

* However, the first 10 minerals I get when founding a new base are unaffected by this. Go figure.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Let me guess, you had it building since planetfall and just relied on free worms to do shit?
Wrong. :M

Well, except for the worms part. I did rely on them to do shit, since they won us the first war and collected a fair bit of extra money by trawling fungus.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Hive engineers build first prototype on planet! Woohoo! If popped pods weren't so mediocre it wouldn't have been necessary.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
An interesting tidbit - Morgan learned Planetary Networks in 2124 and learned Industrial Automation the very next turn. Must have found one of those in a pod somewhere. At first I thought they traded with the University, but now I realize the Russians only learned it in 2128 themselves.

How would you know that?

Also, not sure if it is a feature of the patch, but retooling penalty work like that for all the factions (well, player factions anyway, not sure about the AI).

Nevill

Arcane
How would you know that?
Emphatic intelligence. :M

Seriously, though, I can track which technologies we both know via a diplomatic window. It's probably an oversight from the programmers, just like population tracking and SE settings awareness, but since no actual contact takes place, it's not against the rules. ;)

Also, not sure if it is a feature of the patch, but retooling penalty work like that for all the factions (well, player factions anyway, not sure about the AI).
So I am not the only one shafted. Good... uh, sort of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom