Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Multiplay Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (PBEM) - Game 1

Hellraiser

Arcane
The Great Retaliation of 2217:

iCeodG0c3hFfl.png

:flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw:

Gaians tried to sneak to Blast Rifle Crag through fungus again. They killed the two defenders but got short of marching into the city. Retaliation team was dispatched. Demon* mature boil killed, 2 other boils as well. Lost only a unity rover defender and a scout defender.

Also killed that fucking Elite Peacemaker rover finally and a shady Eco Terrorist squad as well.

*That damn thing is still somewhere out there plotting my demise. Better bring extra flame saw fuel just in case.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
:negative:

All Gaians are special and unique little soyflowers, but some are more special than others.

(Also, that should be Lindly! Voki is the Spartan talent ffs! So yeah, quirky indeed)

Hellraiser

Arcane
Judging from those pics, it seems as if Mindworms are the only thing that can hurt your spartans. :M

It's because Milnet Cyberwarfare Trainees and Operatives are under strict orders not to divulge information on most casualties, under punishment of scouting xenofungus sectors, with only the company of other "privileged" soldiers, until the rest of their lives. :M

Casualties like the 3 or so rovers murdered by the Peacemaker (that's how it became elite, Kalin spoiled that he had deep radar on that thing, hence he saw through my attempts to trail it and killed them). :M

Also I figured out the best course of action and it seems to have worked. Though I did get lucky. Will say more soon(tm).

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
SmvmjVV.jpg

While Camp Joy is set to fall, the struggle is far from over. Gaian Eco Rangers blow up the Pressure Dome in Bunker 118, negating its protection from submersion.

A small victory, but reduced productivity means less Spartans out in the field, and every wasted enemy mineral is a step closer to peace!

SEwsLas.jpg

Further south, Gaian Unity Rovers roll into an undefended, recently constructed base. With immediate defensive readiness being hampered by Spartan experiments in democracy, even the antiquated shredder carbines of the scout party is enough to butcher the dumbstruck inhabitants, and send any survivors packing. Perhaps not the most glorious of conquests, but definitely efficient.

U76E8iN.png

In the colonies, meanwile, infiltrators from the University are hunted down and eliminated by the Garden Eco Police. Having long refused to mend their vendetta with the Peacekeepers due to ”contractual obligations”, the supposedly peaceful researchers became subject to Gaian vendetta in M.Y. 2215, when the Council opted to join their allies.

Being the chief trading partnes and allies of the Spartan Federation, and given their aggressive attitude against smaller factions, not least the Morganites in the north, the Gaian populace has quickly come to accept "proactive defence" against Zakharov and his minions to be a perfectly justified means to facilitate global peace, love and understanding.

Hellraiser

Arcane
izqQXFzmAbb4.png

DEBRIEFING: OPERATION EXCALIBUR

For use by trainees and officer school students. Vital classified information redacted according to secrecy protocols established by Spartan High Command.

ibkmWEDMSbRNMb.png

Summary: successful counteroffensive to liberate Defiance Freehold from jingoistic Gaian occupier. Destruction of most Gaian forces on Terra Sparta. Example of successful use of mobility for a proactive defense.

Preparations: mobilization of combat forces at Ironholm, plan called for offensive to begin on M.Y. 117. All forces were deployed and ready to move as the plan dictated.

Major Events:

M.Y. 117 - Retaliation at Blast Rifle Crag - Gaian forces controlling mindworms spotted near Blast Rifle Crag perimeter. Defending gendarmes and unity rover, which just returned for an upgrade, lost in the assault. Base left defenseless. Colonel Corazon Santiago makes the decision to move necessary forces to aid Blast Rifle Crag, splitting army stationed in Ironholm into two groups. Relief force response aided by completion of the last segment of the new road to Blast Rifle Crag by Engineering Corps Terraformer unit just a week earlier. Two lucky coincidences fully utilized by Commanders in the field. The result: complete victory, minimal losses. All enemy empath teams terminated, mindworms terminated, Blast Rifle Crag defended successfully for the second time.

M.Y. 117 - 4th Battle of Monolith 02 - Forces remaining at Ironholm departed as scheduled launching Operation Excalibur. Encountered enemy Eco Terrorist detachment trying to use Spartan roads for travel and sabotage. Second Heracles Rover unit encountered enemy "Peacemaker" rover unit, responsible for the destruction of 3 Spartan Rover units in earlier phases of the conflict. Said rover was known to act as a mobile radar and reconnaissance outpost. For the fourth time impact cannon fire roared near Monolith 02. Once again Spartan forces were victorious and reclaimed the monolith, dealing a vital blow to enemy intel by terminating their primary recon unit.

M.Y. 119 - Gate to Joy - Enemy decided to slow advance by entrenching in rocky terrain at grid 172-893 nicknamed "the gate to joy" by [redacted - Chi Level Security Clearance Required] unit which spotted them. Furthermore the road at grid 172-893 has been destroyed to further slow down Spartan offensive. With the support of Vulcan Artillery, Heracles Rover squads moved in to drive back the foe. While moderate losses were suffered the battle was victorious for Spartan forces.

M.Y. 120* - Liberation of Defiance Freehold - finding themselves at the "Gate to Joy" the final assault and liberation attempt began. Gaian hostiles have erected a significant defensive perimeter around the Base. Followed by an artillery barrage the assault began. Once again the Gaian occupier took advantage of a major defensive position. However losses suffered were once again moderate. [redacted - Chi Level Security Clearance Required] unit moved in and seized control of the occupied Spartan Base, liberating it once and for all. It also caught another enemy Eco Terrorist detachment trying to flee the city into the fungal fields in the east, possibly to attempt evacuation by sea. Enemy saboteurs have been captured and terminated after interrogation.

*typo on the image, too lazy to fix.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
VX2tnK2.png

Mission Year 2221

As the Spartans celebrated their recent liberation of Camp Joy - now once more labelled Defiance Freehold on planetary maps - the citizens of Parade Ground, who had until now remained relatively isolated from the conflict, were in for a mighty unpleasant surprise. With no prior warning, scanners suddenly flared up reporting massive worm activity in the nearby Xenofungus fields, far greater than anything ever recorded during the undirected, and as of late, quite common little raids by the local wild life. The reformed remnants of the 2nd Broodmaster Taskforce, led by the infamous host of Broodmaster Starfruit - commonly known as the "demon-boil" among Spartan netizens - had now resurfaced at long last, alarmingly close to the perimeter and with a burning fury for vengeance.

Much like before, Spartan High Command surmised that the best defence would be an active offence, and they accordingly seized the initiative by launching rapid strikes with their mobile rovers. This time, however, the tide would not be so easily repelled. Strengthened by their vast numbers, natural affinity with the Xenofungus and greatly amplified psionic ability (even Broodmaster Yuna, one of the most vehement adversaries of cyber-enhancement, had grudgingly accepted the PSI-amplifying implant for the greater good) the Gaians now managed to hold their ground, suffering the rain of impact autocannon-fire as they directed their boils in a brutal counter-charge, ruthlessly overwhelming and destroying their attackers.

QQ7p5ao.png

"Pacification of Parade Ground" - Gaian artistic rendition, Datalinks

The base was left entirely at the mercy of the Mind Worm host, and in light of the numerous crimes perpetuated by the Spartans against the colonies, the Task Force and Mother Planet herself, suffice it to say that none was given. Local gendarmes, citizens, terraformers and even children scrambled to withstand the approaching avalanche, but they were far too few and too ill-equipped to resist the telepathic onslaught. One by one the manfools succumbed to psionics-induced terror and madness, fighting among themselves just as much as against their attackers, causing wide-spread, chaotic bloodshed to engulf the once-so-orderly streets. Come nightfall, resistance had died down to a minimum, and the host had chewed through steel and flesh alike - not a single installation remained operational, whereas paralysed and fallen Spartans now served as hatching grounds for the Mind Worm larvae.

Parade Ground had been thoroughly pacified, and having learnt well from the incident at Camp Joy, the Broodmasters would make no serious attempt to hold it. Aside from some traumatised survivors, nothing really remained, and it would not do to get entangled and easily pinned down by the Spartan rovers. The host would move on, hunting, feeding, growing stronger, and hopefully, like today, ravage the enemy where they would least expect it.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
a2jT8ut.png

8sww3lg.jpg

First and hopefully last Hive acquisition. Note the trance unit, basic staple of the Hive Guard since M.Y. 2167.

usOdH9p.png

Observed Hive defiler, sucking the life out of Planet.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Parade ground ended up defenseless but I had a rover in range to murder the worms next to it. Sadly it got the hasty penalty, but had superior odds despite it since the worms were at 20% health. What happened? One unlucky dice roll after another, rover goes boom. This is what I get for not removing fungus right next to my bases.

In other news...

Godless communists versus brainless zealots, which is better and why? DISCUSS!*

Also I look forward to putting down the abomination that is the Demon Boil. I have my flame-saws fueled up and ready.

:flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw:

NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT!

*it's pretty obvious I'm rooting for the commies, Miriam tries to beg for tech for peace. :lol: Guess I should send a couple of Krakens to remind her that you don't fuck with Sparta.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Yeah, about that Kraken of yours... :smug:

7I9BqXe.png

:yeah:

pgueKYd.gif

:lol:

(Almost missed it too, if I hadn't gone through that exact spot, it would have made it just fine)

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Alas poor SNV Kraken, you served me well.

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Though I expected it to get sunk. Was hoping I would kill at least one Gaian Isle of the ITZ before that happened though. Then again I should have expected a proper warship to appear once again, hungry for revenge. Fitting it met its end in a proper naval artillery battle* and not due to popamole psionics, a twisted invention of an alien mind bestowed upon the obviously Nazi (just ask Cassidy's Black Jews of Morgan Industries) Planetmind.

Also I really need to purge all that seafungus at the coastline. Though probably after I regain control of it.

*or the Isle of the ITZ got it at second glance. Not sure from the screenshot. Oh well, The Kraken Class needed an upgrade anyway.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Nah bro, you give me too much credit. Warship didn't even fire, this was all worm-work: +50% from fungus, +30% from Planet. Man, it feels good to be a nazi. :)

Gaian crews just sat on deck enjoying the publicly mandated rec-time, chewing xeno-granola and going all "woo man!", totally taken by surprise that the Kraken was even there. :lol:

Hellraiser

Arcane
ibpcOe1V1EF7Dr.png

Kalin just killed one of these, though the worms nearly died in the process and it did its job of protecting my assault force from counterattack.

Oh and almost forgot, liberated Parade Ground from the mindworm menace.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Godless communists versus brainless zealots, which is better and why? DISCUSS!*
I always get happy when they fight each other, but then always get sad when I realise that in the end one of them, probably Yang, would end up twice larger than he was before, so I'd have to take twice the amount of bases and fight twice the amount of chaos jets

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
8rdDUU0.png

Mission Year 2234

In the aftermath of the brutal pacification of Parade Ground, Spartan High Command had anticipated a number of similar assaults to take place within their territory. As a precautionary measure, they had dispatched large numbers of state-of-the-art rovers to patrol and engage in extensive "worm hunting" missions, determined both to keep their remaining settlements safe and unmolested, and to seek out and punish the Gaian Broodmasters for their brazen attack. As it turned out, however, the Xenofungus of Terra Sparta was surprisingly quiet. Not a single Gaian raid was reported in the months following the Spartan liberation of Parade Ground, and though puzzling at first, the reason for the sudden inactivity became painstakingly clear when distress calls poured in from the University of Planet.

Carried safely by their aquatic cousins forming the massive Isles of the Deep, the Mind Worms under command of the reformed 2nd Broodmaster Taskforce had been extracted by the Gaian Defence Force in great secrecy for reassignment to the Great Northern theatre. At their arrival in University territory, they had been utilised to work in close conjunction with the recently formed amphibious elite forces of the garden colonies. Vastly superior in discipline and performance to your average Gaian soldier, these heavily augmented, bio-engineered Eco Warriors employed brand new "chaos" cannons, electromagnetic contraptions firing shaped-charge HEAT rounds at unrivalled speed and accuracy. Nearly twice as potent as ordinary Impact Cannons, and superior even to the new Gatling Lasers of the Hive and the experimental missile weapons of Morgan Industries, these new tools of destruction completely demolished the University forces. Together with the swarming boils of Mother Planet, the Gaians secured victory after victory against the ill-prepared enemy.

One by one, the bases of Mir Lab, Monitoring Station, Zoloto-Gold and Otkrietia-Discovery fell to the Gaian advance, culminating with the capture of University Base, faction headquarters and home to Zakharov's most prized project: the Hunter-Seeker Algorithm. Due to its strategic value, the base was quickly fortified, spared from destruction and renamed in honour of its new purpose. As per the Council-mandated policies known under the name "Project Purity", the entire Isle of Deianira - henceforth known as Annwvyn - would be purified from harmful infrastructure and turned into a vast ecological preserve, a true paradise of peace, happiness and longevity for the talents of the colonies to enjoy at their leisure. The University citizens, meanwhile, would be relocated to Terra Monsunia following a careful indoctrination process, so as to ensure that any future citizen would possess sufficient eco-mindedness to successfully harmonise with the goals of the greater race.

IgakFWS.jpg

Hellraiser

Arcane
The Politics and Culture of Foreigners, part 3.
NOTE: This publication has been archived for history recording purposes, reflecting Sparta's relations and contacts as in the 2180s, prior to the beginning of the War of Gaian Aggression. Advice within this guide while still in large parts accurate should not be used as it is in certain parts outdated. Please download the latest up to date version of the guide from here.

University

The University of Planet is an academical state, devoted to the pursuit of knowledge, no matter the price. The structure of government and power resembles a military chain of command, only with ranks determined by academical achievement rather than leadership and combat prowess, making the University a true meritocracy, at least as far as ones skill as a scholar is concerned. Discussion is the basis of University society, which often leads to arguments or protests in the streets, Drone Riots are an as often sight in University bases as Impact Rifles on the Streets of Sparta Command.

For years the University has been an ally and trading partner of Sparta, wonderful technologies without which life in modern day Sparta would be unimaginable such as Plasma Steel, Optical Computing and Planetary Networks have their origins in University Labs. University bases are by far the ones in which a Spartan citizen can feel the safest, at least as long as you do not participate or witness any potentially dangerous experiment. While University culture, heavily-laden with technobabble and academical protocol may seem bizarre, behind it hide men and women of great hospitality, loyalty and respect for order.

Both Sparta and the University share a common vision of improving humanity. Where as other factions step backwards, either going back to the age of witch hunts and fanaticism (Believers), climbing trees and living like apes (Gaians), reckless corporatism and plutocracy of the XXIst century (Morganites), totalitarian hells of the XXth century (Hive) or the impotent intuitions that doomed Earth that was (Peacekeepers), Sparta and the University build a better tomorrow. United we will stand with our University brothers and sisters, today, in 20 years, in a century. We will stand united or we will perish, facing the threats of yesteryear from Earth that was, resurfacing once again under the guise of Hive, Peacekeeper, Believer or other "philosophy".

How to survive in University territory: become familiar with University protest Drone Riot customs and culture, do not agree to participate in any experiments even if you would merely be an "observer"

How to impress and make friends with a University Scholar: ask about the physics of Particle Impactors, mock the ignorance of the Believers, inquire into the substructure of the universe, praise the freedom of information within the University Datalinks.

What not to say or do near a University Scholar: touch his or her network node without permission, ask when was the last time he or she engaged in sexual activity or sports, debate "intelligent design", insultl Carl Sagan or Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Gaians

On the outside the Gaian is a hippie, an environmentalist battling for world peace, utterly harmless. But in reality the Gaians are hardly harmless. Engaged in various passive-aggressive actions directed at their neighbors, as well as suspected of acts of espionage, ecoterrorism and warfare utilizing mindworms, the Gaians most certainly have a hidden agenda. Some even go as far as to say that the Gaians are in reality surviving agents of the NWO, with Lady Deidre Skye being actually a rank Bishop member of the Illuminati. Records in the datalinks from Earth that was show that Deidre Skye was assigned the role of Xenobioligist aboard the Unity at the request of Kevin MacKay, grandmaster of the Glasgow Freemason lodge. Her great-great-great grandfather was also supposedly the member of the Thule Society, an organization from Nazi Germany interested in the occult itself. The Human Genome Project, as well as various rumors of eugenics happening within Gaian bases, further hint that such a link might not be simply superficial.

Gaian territory is enormous, covering the majority of Terra Monsunia including Monsoon Jungle itself. A mostly wild and untamed land, xenofungus fields cover much of it and mindworm attacks are likely. With all weapons apart from those in the hands of the mostly undisciplined rabble known as the gaian army being illegal, you cannot expect to bring your Impact Rifle with you on this journey making survival much more difficult. Luckily, should you get into a fight with a Gaian citizen himself, you should be able to knock him out with one punch easily, as even the military is a woefully under-trained and martially incompetent lot.

One should be careful not to attempt to kill "domesticated" mindworms in Gaian territory, wormloving is practically mandated by the Gaian state. Rather than risk a fight, retreat and contact the authorities who will dispatch a taming team. Gaian cuisine is a mix of granola, soy and xenofungus rich in estrogen, which further makes Gaian men and women physically weaker and passive, it is best to avoid their cooking altogether or to take special steps to purge the harmful hormone from your food.

How to survive in Gaian territory: never eat any meal you have not prepared yourself, drink only purified water, don't agree to walking barefoot in a xenofungal field not matter how much the natives insist, never agree to smoking xenofungus.

How to impress and make friends with a Gaian: praise his or hers treatment of native wildlife, ask him about xenofungus horticulture, debate the merits of Spartan recycling tank technology.

What not to say or do near a Gaian: tell him his red eyes or xenofungal growths on his skin look unhealthy, boast about your skill at hunting and cooking wild razorbeak, attempt to borrow fungicide from him.

IN OTHER NEWS:

After the University got nearly wiped out by the Gaians, it seems mindworms and other Gaian forces are once again lurking around in the fungal fields of Terra Sparta. Killed one enemy boil as it attacked one of my bases.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Alas poor Zakharov, I knew him well.

DoItForScience.jpg

You did it for Science bro!

:salute: :salute: :salute:

He was about to finish researching something I really wanted. Bah, if the Gaian invasion came 5 turns later.

Also Training Camp taken by Gaians? Well, it is called Training Camp for a reason, might as well train conscripts to shoot hippies with live ammo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom