Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's meta-game ADOM

empi

Augur
One of my favourite games, and one of the greatest roguelikes: Ancient Domains of Mystery. Let's play (and eventually win) it! If there's anything you don't understand/want to know more about then feel free to, same with any feedback. Also, if you're scared about getting spoiled, fuck off please!

Table of Contents:

Episode 1: Introductions and the Adventures Of Brave Codex1
Episode 2: Rat Diplomacy
Episode 3: Down the Caverns of Chaos
Episode 4: Becoming a Champion
Episode 5: Making Some Small People Very Angry

Epsiode 6: The Quest for the Water Orb
The sad memorial file for Andhaira

Episode 1: Introductions and the Adventures Of Brave Codex1

MWSnap129.jpg

The majestic bloom-tastic title screen

MWSnap130.jpg

Upon creating our first character, we're randomly given this starsign, looks like it would best fit a melee character. (For those who don't know, the tactics settings are a sliding scale of how agressive/defensive you are, which you can change every turn, ranging from beserk to coward. They affect your to hit, to damage, and your DV, which is the chance you have to dodge an attack.)

MWSnap131.jpg

Here's the various races we can choose, and we go for Drakeling, a type of lizardman (Jaesede's favourite?), a good alround race with a cool special ability to spit acid.

MWSnap132.jpg

For class we choose monk, barehand/low armored fighters with a really nice skillset.

MWSnap133.jpg

A lonely sad childhood, how very codexian.

MWSnap134.jpg

We then can choose a talent from 3 pages of crap, and we go for Alert, which lets us eventually take one of the best talents.

MWSnap135.jpg

And now our adventure starts, with some pretty average stats, time to explore the ASCII world, first a little look at our skillset.

MWSnap137.jpg

This is really good, one of the best you can get. Athletics makes you faster and increases the rate at which your strength and other stats increase. Alertness helps you to dodge mobs, traps and special attacks mainly from bosses. Concentration increases the rate at which you regen MP. Dodge is pretty self explanatory and find weakness increases your critical rate dramatically. Healing is pretty essential, massively increases your HP regen. Food preservation increases the chance for mobs to drop corpses and lets you keep them for longer before they rot away, which is useful both for not starving to death and to get the special bonuses some corpses give.

MWSnap136.jpg

We stumble upon a little hamlet, not like I already knew it was there or anything.

MWSnap140.jpg

In the middle of town we find a nice druid giving us a quest!
NCERNDM.jpg
:"Recently we have been plagued by the attacks of an evil sorceror. He was once a brother of my order but has now fallen for the dark powers. He is a black druid using the powers of nature and twisting them to suit his darker needs. His name is 'Keethrax'. Find him and defeat him. He has set up his headquarters in a sinister cave to the southeast. If ye return with success i'll reward ye"

TNO.jpg
:UPDATED MY JOURNAL

We then walk around town talking to small children as you do:

MWSnap148.jpg

She tells us that she lost her dog in a cave to the northeast, apparently we're meant to save it. Instead, we venture to the south east to find this evil druid.

MWSnap154.jpg

Here we are!

MWSnap156.jpg

We battle our first mobs, a kobold and an orc, we beat the shit out of both of them easily, and explore the level, punching some other stuff too

MWSnap157.jpg

Yay!!! As your weapon skills increase so does your to hit, damage and DV while using that weapons.

MWSnap158.jpg

We then gain our first level, which increases our hp/mp and allows us to improve some skills. Our strength also randomly increases thanks to the athletics skill probably. We soon advance to level 3, improve our skills some more and also take another talent, as we can do wit every multiple of 3, very fallout-esque.

MWSnap164.jpg

Long stride means we can move slightly faster, and running away is a useful skill.

MWSnap166.jpg

There's a river running through the next level, but thankfully we have the swimming skill. And for those of you who don't know what a bugbear is:

MWSnap167.jpg

Pretty scary. As you can see it's already hurt poor Codex1 pretty badly, so we run away.

MWSnap174.jpg

After waiting for our health to regen on the other side of the river, we take revenge!

MWSnap175.jpg

On our way to the down staircase (The ">" sign btw) we encounter a hot female warerat. Who unfortunately blows her rape whistle.

MWSnap176.jpg

Obviously we can beat the shit out of all these stupid rats, until we contract the plague, which is seriously bad at low levels. It reduces our stats and is generally pretty shitty. A retreat is necessary.

We hide out in an empty room and try to wait for the plague to fade away, but that doesn't quite work out as planned :(

MWSnap177.jpg

MWSnap178.jpg

:rage:

Well the first of many has fallen, join us next time when the next challenger decides to tackle the terrifying rats!
(Sorry bout the bit of crap in the screenshots btw, won't be there next time)

laclongquan

Arcane
ASCII art is for fags!

Any game people dont feel interested enough to put a minimal art in but just ascii alone is no game worth considering.
For fuck's sake at least try these
thumb_character.jpg
urw-screenthumb-5.png
urw-screenthumb-8.png

There, I've said it! Problem, Codex? :troll:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
It's quite obvious it's you who has a problem.

ADOM was the first RL I tried and, being bed-ridden at the time, one I violated mercilessly into the wee hours of the eve. Looking forward to this. :salute:

lightbane

Arcane
It seems cool, but the lack of emotionally challenging graphics are :decline:

empi

Augur
Episode 2: Rat Diplomacy

Still bitter about Codex1's sad demise, we launch up a new character, and after getting a nice starsign, we go for a very OP race/class combo, a high elf wizard. If I can't get far with this I pretty much suck.

MWSnap283.jpg

MWSnap285.jpg

Here's our mages inventory, two spellbooks of frost bolt which we will soon read. A decent low level spell, could be better but still.

MWSnap287.jpg

We head straight to Terinyo to read some books and gain some quests. Oh also, look at his name :troll:

MWSnap288.jpg

Firstly we stock up on food at the local shop, as well as accepting the druid's quest and the little girl's. This time, learning from our previous failures we start at the puppy dungeon.

MWSnap289.jpg

MWSnap290.jpg

We quickly stumble into a rat tension room. (A tension room is a dungeon feature where lots of mobs are packed into a small space)

2h38ox4.png
: I know what to do!

MWSnap291.jpg

MWSnap292.jpg

Ok, shitty joke out of the way, let's carry on and hopefully not die the way our first hero did. Through a mixture of bashing and frost bolting this one tension room gets us up to level 6.

MWSnap295.jpg

This means we can take the treasure hunter talent, which means we should find more cool stuff. Immediately it pays off and we find a spellbook, which we subsequently read. Can't wait to have another bolt spell, or maybe something cool like invisibility or teleport or

MWSnap296.jpg

Oh. It's a fucking useless spell. Nice.

MWSnap298.jpg

Clearing this level takes us up another level, and here's a look at our skills now. Working on raising alchemy, herbalism and healing mainly.

MWSnap299.jpg

On the second level we run into an ant hill, which is always here (depicted by the *). After some time unsuccesfully trying to get one of them to drop a useful corpse, one of them drops another spellbook. We dive down to the next floor and read it. I've a good feeling about this, maybe a magic missile or burning hands or a ball spell or

MWSnap301.jpg

Oh, it's a pretty fucking useless spell. Nice.

MWSnap303.jpg

Here we encounter two terrifying eyes, one succumbs to a frost bolt but the other seems to be immune, and hits pretty fucking hard. It's time to run.

MWSnap304.jpg

On the way we dropped off some useless books and corpses, letting us run faster, we were pretty close to dieing there. Once back in the wilderness we head for the evil druid's dungeon

MWSnap306.jpg

A little pro-tip, kick doors from diagonals and some traps won't be able to hurt you ;)
We continue to dive, find a spellbook, eat a spider (which gives poison resistance) and then hit level 9. We choose the hardy talent, which opens up a few later talents to increase PV (which reduces damage). Now time to read that spellbook, I bet it's gonna be shit.

MWSnap312.jpg

It was shit.

After descending another floor I make a costly mistake, putting on some unidentified gauntlets:

MWSnap316.jpg

-15 to hit and to damage, +3 DV/PV, and they autocurse (can't be removed yet). If I was a melee fighter this would really suck.

MWSnap318.jpg

On the upside, a spellbook turned out to not be shit.
Then it goes from good to better

MWSnap319.jpg

A neutral altar, awsome. Firstly we convert by repeatedly donating small amounts of gold (being spolied ftw)

MWSnap320.jpg

After donating all our golds to curry more favour with the gods we get really really lucky.

MWSnap322.jpg

A tension room of chaotic mobs (orcs) righ next to this altar :thumbsup: Time to sacrifice a lot of mobs

MWSnap325.jpg

We end up at the "spiritually invincible" level of worship, meaning we've gained the lucky intrinsic (helps a bit in various ways), our god will answer more of our prayers and will also bless our water.

MWSnap326.jpg

Dropping our stuff on the altar let's its blessed/uncursed/cursed status be visible. We can't do this for our rings because they're stuck underneath the cursed gauntlets.

MWSnap327.jpg

We descend to the final level, where the evil druid has his army of twisted animals.

MWSnap329.jpg

After bolt spamming the slug standing next to us, we advance a level and our Mana stat goes up randomly by one. Also we get another spellbook, which turns out to be a spellbook of darkness. Thanks to the fact that many mobs can't see in the dark, it's a pretty useful spell.

MWSnap331.jpg

We stumble on to our enemy, Keethrax, and it's time to screw him over. We bravely fire frost bolts him, but he shrugs it off, unhurt. To add insult to injury, he starts to attack us with his euphemisms

MWSnap338.jpg

Andhaira, thoroughly freaked out runs for safety off the the outlaw town.

MWSnap341.jpg

2h38ox4.png
: That's an anagram for "whole in the wall", how witty harhar

After checking out the crappy overpriced shop, we explore the town:

MWSnap343.jpg

ELDOTHM.jpg
: "Well met! Me thinks that ye should prove yer skill and valor before we talk business. You nontheless could use some training to be prepared for the future"

MWSnap348.jpg

We now have 1 skillpoint in pickpocketing :incline:

MWSnap349.jpg

gizmo.png
:"Ye could do me a favour, bub! Kill da damned sheriff in Terinyo. Such an annoying guy. I'll do ye a favor if ye succeed"

Time to go talk to talk to Killian the sheriff, who tells us to kill the crime lord. THE CHOICES, SO MANY SHADES OF GRAY.

MWSnap358.jpg

We go back and ice bolt Hotzenpoltz and his bouncers, before collecting a useless amulet from the sheriff as our reward. THE CONSEQUENCES.

Seeing as we're out of dungeons to do, and I don't feel like revisiting the puppy or the druid, we travel across the land to the entrance to the main dungeon in the game:

MWSnap362.jpg

That's it for this episode, join next time to see Andhaira ventures down the dark foreboding tunnel!

Stabwound

Arcane
ASCII graphics are functional. I sure hope that people are just trolling and don't actually think the game is shit because of the graphics.

ADOM was the first roguelike I ever played extensively, but never did finish. I remember almost nothing about strategy and what to do/not to do, but I wouldn't mind actually finishing the game some time.

A roguelike seems like a pretty tough thing to LP unless you know you can reliably win. I foresee this one dying after page 3 but I'd like to be proven wrong. :smug:

Johannes

Arcane
Keethrax isn't vulnerable to elemental magic (fire/ice/lightning) so it's pointless to try him with a wizard unless you have acid or magic missile, or just strong enough physical damage.

The eye of destruction on the other hand, can be killed with ice bolt. It just shrugs them off sometimes, but enough bolts and you'll get enough ones that connect too.

Btw, why not play on the online server? http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Jaakkos'_server

empi

Augur
Keethrax isn't vulnerable to elemental magic (fire/ice/lightning) so it's pointless to try him with a wizard unless you have acid or magic missile, or just strong enough physical damage.

The eye of destruction on the other hand, can be killed with ice bolt. It just shrugs them off sometimes, but enough bolts and you'll get enough ones that connect too.

Btw, why not play on the online server? http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Jaakkos'_server

I know keethrax was invulvnerable, but thought I should at least go down to his level for the sake of the LP (and also to generate him while i'm low level, otherwise if i come back later he'd be much stronger. He once almost killed a promising mid level char of mine because of that

The eye of the destruction just must have been very lucky then, and after being almost killed i felt it was time to run.

And I have played on the server before, even got my first win there a while back, but seeing as I very rarely experience crashes, I didn't for this.

Stabwound

Arcane
Dammit, this has inspired me to install ADOM again. I haven't played it in, wow, probably 10 years. The farthest I ever got was getting killed by one of the orb guardians and I moved onto Nethack after that.

ADOM is a great game, but from what I remember it's one of the most unforgiving and spoiler-requiring roguelikes unless you have zen-like patience for restarting. It's awesome if you enjoy discovering tactics and stuff on your own though, because it's not quite as mechanical and straight forward as something like Crawl or Angband. The time limit was always something that bothered me, however.

empi

Augur
Dammit, this has inspired me to install ADOM again. I haven't played it in, wow, probably 10 years. The farthest I ever got was getting killed by one of the orb guardians and I moved onto Nethack after that.

ADOM is a great game, but from what I remember it's one of the most unforgiving and spoiler-requiring roguelikes unless you have zen-like patience for restarting. It's awesome if you enjoy discovering tactics and stuff on your own though. The time limit was always something that bothered me, too.

Yeah, unless you're willing to die millions of times, you need to get somewhat spoiled. Even then, you'll still die a lot :p Despite this, i've had great fun with it since being "spoiled". It's the only game i've played almost every week for a couple of years. Bloody love it.

Stabwound

Arcane
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, it's been a while. I generally hate time limits on games. I like being able to take as much time as I want, especially on a roguelike. I guess the corruptions themselves are cool, but feeling forced to do things in a certain timeframe annoys me.

Stabwound

Arcane
What's your point? If the game had a time limit I wouldn't have been able to do that. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here.

Anyway I just tried to play on that ADOM server but it's way too laggy to be enjoyable. That's too bad because it has a bunch of patches and stuff to make it more user-friendly, like being able to pick your own sign and stats. Not to mention the Windows build of ADOM can't be resized and almost needs a magnifying glass to see on my monitor.

Johannes

Arcane
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, it's been a while. I generally hate time limits on games. I like being able to take as much time as I want, especially on a roguelike. I guess the corruptions themselves are cool, but feeling forced to do things in a certain timeframe annoys me.
It doesn't really force you to do anything, just encourages you to move quickly in the select few areas where background radiation is properly noticeable. Probably I take more corruption from monster hits than the background effect anyway.
The game is still totally playable and finishable even after day 90 in any case.

Then again, my perspective might be a little skewed considering I've completed the game in under 19000 turns with a barbarian.

empi

Augur
IMO the problem with the adom corruption is that there is too much guaranteed scrolls of corruption resistance available if you're spoiled enough.

Btw Stabwound , if you're in the usa there's (or at least was) an American server, called something like ancardiaUS

desocupado

Magister
Keep up, I tried ADOM a bit some time ago, but for some reason stopped playing.

Palikka

Arcane
Very nice to see another try at ADOM lp.

Btw, Knock isnt useless spell at all, it's very good since you can unlock doors without activating the traps in them. No need to kick the doors and ruin your eq with a fireball trap etc.

desocupado

Magister
What's the deal with killing cats in this game? Also, I remember something about a first kill being important.

Shit, now I remember why I stopped playing this shit, I need a fucking encyclopedia of non-sensical bullshit I gotta know to win.

EDIT: Also, herbs, should I pick them up until the bush wither and dies? I'm at the 4th level of the puppy cave. And where do I find those potions to mix with the herbs and make new potions?

EDIT2: Also, I'm playing a High Elf Wizard, currently wielding a dagger. Should I just pick whatever weapon gives me more damage, or there's a penalty for wielding battle axes while being an elf?

EDIT3: Can I sell loot in this game, or just throw away shit that's not usefull to me?

EDIT4: What half of those skills do? Can any of you link me to a guide or something?

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, I've been playing again and forgot the absurd amount of stuff you have to remember. You honestly do have to play with the guidebook open at all times unless you want to be screwed over and over. The game is second only to Nethack in being an absolute pain in the ass without "cheating". It reminds me why I dislike this type of roguelike and much prefer the straight-forward type like Crawl.

I do remember the cat thing, though. Later in the game there is a cat lord. If you've avoided killing any felines, he will give you the ring of the cat (or some shit like that) which is the best ring in the game. However, he becomes hostile if you kill a single cat, and gets stronger with every cat you kill. He'll end up a killing machine if you slaughter every cat you come across, and you don't get the ring obviously.

THe "first monster" thing is a quest you have to do to proceed. The guy will tell you to kill "x amount of the first monster you killed" to proceed. Why he has to be that cryptic and not tell you what that monster is, is just shitty design. But yeah, that's how that works.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
God ... nethack... *horrible flashbacks to 10,000 deaths*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom