Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play Hammer & Sickle

Cholo

Arcane
Chapter 17: Ambushed Again

The squad heads out. On they way back, they'll pass through Gaffburg, which is fortuitous. Fidel and The Captain could use some patching up from the town's doctor. Hopefully there won't be any more attacks.

ebDjA89.jpg

Speak of the devil.

eT2UtkR.jpg

A local villager is defenestrated.

2TxElTL.jpg

Above Conrad's workshop, more glass shatters.

c7EWDIr.jpg

A sniper takes a shot at the squad.

9iyikGG.jpg

Well, broad daylight. We're right in his line of fire, better get out of the way.

vVMwJjm.jpg

The squad rushes left behind the building, while Larry prones out and covers the rear with his newly acquired MG34.

HfVxWdy.jpg

The Captain makes it around the corner of the house, and spots a shooter on the roof. Two shots subdue him.

bgcXjgX.jpg

He and his rifle tumble on to the grass bellow. If the bullets didn't kill him, the fall sure did.

La3N9Fu.jpg

Sanders and Fidel take control of the first floor of the building they had fled behind. Facing the same direction as Larry, they take cover by the windows.

ahHEXtA.jpg

Moshe makes his way to a bedroom on the second floor, just above Fidel.

MKSfD0l.jpg

The Captain and Sigmund run as fast as they can across the open field hoping to flank the sniper.

Qymgzgn.jpg

The enemies across the road from our building take notice and start to return fire. Sigmund is nicked by the sniper, although it's not a serious wound.

bWk4xpL.jpg

The Captain makes it to the rear of the sniper's building, where he notices a pair of graves dug for the men who gave their lives the first time he fought at Gaffburg.

uRpNx7k.jpg

The Captain and Siegfried enter the rear of the garage, surprising a pair of Hammer soldiers. Meanwhile, Moshe has taken a pretty bad hit from a neighboring building. He's backed away from the window and bandaging his wound.

The sniper hears our shooting right beneath him, and decides to run.
M38wnaf.jpg

wUmGP46.jpg

aYfYvbI.jpg

vqdMNQI.jpg

kymceSb.jpg

More shooters are inside the building across from Sanders and company, the fight's not over yet. At this point though, Larry has moved up a little and has a clear line of sight on their firing positions. He starts to go to work with the MG, and clears out the house pretty quickly.

1Vy4TC8.jpg

The Captain and Siegfried get inside Conrad's house, and clear it of any stragglers.

Once the enemies are all dead, the squad collects all the weapons they can. It's a good haul- StG44s, FG42s, even a Thompson, with one of those gigantic drum magazines! Nothing else to do here, so the squad heads off to Zeizenburg.

As the squad enters Zeizenburg

7RTtdT2.jpg

ywLC51O.jpg
Of course.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Did you fight in the war?

ywLC51O.jpg
Yes, indeed.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
How did you get into the military?

ywLC51O.jpg
You had female soldiers in Russia, too. Who was that famous sniper I read about? Lyudmila something...

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Lyudmila Pavlichenko. They thought she could only be a nurse. Three hundred confirmed kills changed their minds. But how did you end up on the front lines?

ywLC51O.jpg
I got tired of waiting for the US to stop pretending that the war in Europe was none of our business. My family was very upset about the rise of the Nazis. So I quit medical school, sailed to England, and joined the British Auxiliary Territorial Service.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
An American woman in the British army?

XDHpGVx.jpg

ywLC51O.jpg
I finally arranged for a transfer to the British Armed Forces so I could see some action. They sent me to Africa. That was the first time I saw men die.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
You don't have to talk about it.

ywLC51O.jpg
I was tending wounded soldiers in an ambulance speeding toward Alexandria. The red cross on the side of the truck should have kept us safe. German raiders ambushed us. The ambulance flew into the air and I blacked out. As I came to, I saw five Nazis pouring gas on the wounded men. They were going to burn us alive. I quietly drew my service revolver and shot each one.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
You're lucky you didn't blow up the whole ambulance. Good shot, though.

ywLC51O.jpg
Not good enough. I took a bullet in the shoulder.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
The right shoulder? That scar above the collar-bone?

TTB2YPE.jpg

ywLC51O.jpg
The medals I won gave me the clout to join the Commandos. During the run-up to D-Day, the US Army finally accepted me into the Rangers. And you know what? I don't regret any of it.

The squad heads into the sewers.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
The red cross on the side of the truck should have kept us safe. German raiders ambushed us. The ambulance flew into the air and I blacked out. As I came to, I saw five Nazis pouring gas on the wounded men. They were going to burn us alive. I quietly drew my service revolver and shot each one.

:roll:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really looking forward to the next few fights.

Also I was checking out reviews and impressions around the interwebz, and it's pretty funny how people complain that stealth doesn't work properly because it arbitrarily deactivates on its own. :lol:

laclongquan

Arcane
The red cross on the side of the truck should have kept us safe. German raiders ambushed us. The ambulance flew into the air and I blacked out. As I came to, I saw five Nazis pouring gas on the wounded men. They were going to burn us alive. I quietly drew my service revolver and shot each one.

:roll:
It's an old war sentiment and a faraway place.

Beside, the wench is saucy.

Cholo

Arcane
oscar Yeah the Russian writing gets a little silly, but it is excusable because

Elizabeth's full of shit

ERYFKRAD
You're automatically put out of stealth if there's a light source nearby (although I'm positive you already knew that), but the stealth is pretty funny sometimes. High level named enemies just appear in the middle of a room literally feet from your shooters sometimes because they were in stealth mode. Perhaps distance should have played a greater part in that algorithm than spot or hide do.

Glad you folks are enjoying, hope the shooting is detailed enough. Looking through the screens I'm worried I didn't catch enough highlights from some of these battles. Once you get a scoped rifle and a decent machine gunner though, fights get pretty one sided after the first few rounds. That MG34 we found is just deadly and Larry has a real talent with it.

It's funny, but after getting a few hours into S^3 again you realize how well H&S balanced weapons (although I have to give the game credit, the encounter design and progression is very good). In JA2 1.13 it was nice because you could just adjust stats (or anything really), but S^3 requires sql server and an xp machine for editing? Anyway, props to H&S for the increased crits when you hit vitals, and increased damage. Pouring a full turn's worth of AP / subgun fire into a bad guy at point blank and watching them shoot back the next turn is making me want to throw my computer into a wall.

laclongquan , you wrote a guide for S^3 as well? I'm seeing your name pop up everywhere! How the heck did you get through Sentinels with just pistols???

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I did know that. Just makes me wonder if this was not documented right or if it's just idiots unable to RTFM.
I suspect that those high level guys just spawn out of nowhere, case in point-
Once I wised up to the guy calling an air strike at the airfield, I parked all my troops at the building and fought from there. I think Sanders walk through and past the spot where the guy turned up, seems like scripted spawning to me.
laclongquan's guide is pretty good too. And no, it wasn't just pistols, if you read it.

Cholo

Arcane
Yeah, I did know that. Just makes me wonder if this was not documented right or if it's just idiots unable to RTFM.
I suspect that those high level guys just spawn out of nowhere, case in point-
Once I wised up to the guy calling an air strike at the airfield, I parked all my troops at the building and fought from there. I think Sanders walk through and past the spot where the guy turned up, seems like scripted spawning to me.
laclongquan's guide is pretty good too. And no, it wasn't just pistols, if you read it.
There are airstrikes at the airfield??? I always fight my way through the buildings first.

laclongquan

Arcane
laclongquan , you wrote a guide for S^3 as well? I'm seeing your name pop up everywhere! How the heck did you get through Sentinels with just pistols???

We can get through Sentinels with just pistols because after you play the entire series TOO MANY times it just asking for the challenge. Beside, as i stated elsewhere, pistols have their use tactically and within limit. namely skill degradation with wounds, ruining aiming stance, critical hits. And if you max durability degradation rate in HS, the cheap soviet pistols has their use, as lightweight replaceable guns, no worry about repair those piece of junks.

It's been quite long before my last HS play. perhaps I shall reinstall it one of these days.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
There are airstrikes at the airfield??? I always fight my way through the buildings first.
Yeah, if you take too long to clear it out, maybe ten turns, one guy spawns/unhides in the ground floor of the building nearest the entry point, and then runs all the way up to radio for an airstrike. Airstrike=game over.
It's entirely possible to shoot him beforehand and prevent the airstrike, but it's very easy to miss him if you rush through the buildings.

Cholo

Arcane
Chapter 18: The Bunker

sPjx3ei.jpg

Pretty quickly, the squad spots a suspiciously discolored patch of wall, with rubble all around it.

QbM8PDM.jpg

Siegfried recognizes it, and starts to go to work destroying the brick wall.

evGCHKb.jpg

The Captain crawls through the small hole in the wall, and discovers a sturdy looking door, a skeleton with a rifle and some trinkets, and a code lock bolted onto the wall. We're not sure what to make of it.

KONG3wW.jpg

ywLC51O.jpg
A code lock is a lock with a code. Now, a code would be...

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Will someone please shut her up? Siegfried, do you know the code?

xgSNMos.jpg
No.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Then it all ends here.

The Captain inspects the skeletal remains, and discovers a ripped piece of paper.

E5hbBEe.jpg

xgSNMos.jpg
Hmm... If this really is the start of the code, I think I know the other three numbers. 401201.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Ah... OK, let's try it.

We do just that, and the door swings open.

oVMOqp9.jpg

xgSNMos.jpg
Easy. See this emblem on the body? The sign of the SS Viking division. One of them transferred here. He was crazy about all this stuff. The SS Viking division was started on December first, 1940. I simply decided to try that date.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Oh really...

W3qoWTC.jpg
I don't believe in coincidences like that.

Inside, the bunker has some cots, a large weapons locker with mines and rifles, smaller personal lockers, a file cabinet with some scattered documents, and a radio sitting on a desk.

Ga7hSdv.jpg

xgSNMos.jpg
There's a hidden outlet to the antenna. It's on one of the houses.

AcSlNhi.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Thor's Hammer is a part of a larger terrorist organization currently preparing terrorist attacks in Soviet and US occupied zones. The terrorists plan to wear Soviet uniforms in the US zone and American uniforms in the Soviet zone. The goals are unclear. Request instructions. Rook over.

wjhcJ54.jpg
Gambit to Rook. Roger. Continue investigating the Hammer. Due to the escalating nature of the threat, you are ordered to contact our agent in Wenzburg. Find him in the Wenzburg railroad station. Meet him alone. Repeat. You are to be alone. Over and out.

xgSNMos.jpg
Herr Captain?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
There's a light at the end of the tunnel. I have a chance to get us some help. But you have to wait here.

xgSNMos.jpg
As you say, Herr Captain.

vFs9YWj.jpg

The Captain is by himself now. He takes a FG 42 from the locker, a pair of magazines, a roll of bandages and a grenade. The Fallschirmjägergewehr 42 was a pretty capable battle rifle, well ahead of it's time. Firing the full sized 7.92 cartridge, the rifle used a rotating bolt, and could fire single shots from the closed bolt position, or full auto from the open bolt allowing the weapon to cool more quickly. Because of the barrel length and the cartridge, the weapon was capable of 3-5 MOA, the expected accuracy of a battle rifle. Unfortunately, the hefty bolt and operating rod flying forward and back every time the trigger is pulled doesn't do the shooter any favors in terms of accuracy.
We also see an odd document on the desk... No time to look at this now though, maybe we'll inspect it later...

utp3jVY.jpg

The Captain emerges from the sewers in the train station, and pays off the engineer for a trip to Wenzburg.

TLkdbDk.jpg

In the Wenzburg courtyard, there is a two story structure. We approach it, and find a man in a black trenchcoat.

mswzOfw.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
You won't need it. Greetings from the Wolf of Fergana.

V31B1Z8.jpg
So old Ivanov is still alive?

hHzRWvL.jpg

V31B1Z8.jpg
Well done. Only Mikhalev and I knew that joke about Fergana.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
It's a joke?

V31B1Z8.jpg
In the late 1920's a friend of ours was fighting bandits in Turkistan. He sent me a papakha hat from Fergana, but it was full of fleas! Huge fleas, with a very painful bite. So we called the fleas wolves... the Wolves of Fergana.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
I see.

V31B1Z8.jpg
So what can I do for you?

r2Np8Ut.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Have you heard of Thor's Hammer?

V31B1Z8.jpg
I've heard a little, but Command said not to go near them. After all, I'm just a transportation analyst.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
The Hammer is a terrorist cell committing acts of sabotage against our troops. And against the US. It looks like they're trying to provoke a war.

V31B1Z8.jpg
That's a serious charge. No offense, but you don't seem like an intelligence analyst. Those desk guys are hardly quick and stealthy. From the way you drew your gun, I'd say you were a commando.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Good eye. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong about Thor's Hammer. I prevented one of their terrorist attacks. Did you hear about what happened at the water scoop? They tried to poison the town and plant evidence implicating us.

V31B1Z8.jpg
how do you know it was Thor's Hammer?

kEa5xco.jpg

V31B1Z8.jpg
Where?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
At the scene of the crime – the water scoop.

V31B1Z8.jpg
That is serious. This area is a powder keg. The Americans are clearly anti-Soviet. And more than a little brash and overconfident – due to their nuclear advantage, I suspect. I wish I could help you, but I'm really just a transportation analyst. Sabotage is a little outside my expertise.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
You might be able to help me. My group recently took over the headquarters of a the local Hammer cell, looking for their plans. We also wanted special archives from the SS and maybe even Ahnenerbe.

V31B1Z8.jpg
Young man, Ahnenerbe was a pack of frauds, suitable for scaring recruits. What could they possibly have in their archives?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Plans for sabotaging the local infrastructure. The identities of Hammer agents. And possibly the names of their secret patrons. Unfortunately, all this material was smuggled out right before our attack. American servicemen in uniforms with no insignia.

V31B1Z8.jpg
I see. How big was this archive?

M8fpTIg.jpg

V31B1Z8.jpg
How can I help you?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
I need to know all about their transportation options.

V31B1Z8.jpg
They could move a few dozen kilograms with nothing more than a jeep!

Wd6rhp4.jpg
I don't think they would risk taking it out yet. At least, I'm hoping they havent.

V31B1Z8.jpg
In that case, their best bet is an airplane. Hmm... I have an idea! There's a landing strip in the forest about thirty kilometers from here – paved about two months ago. It's small, but good for light craft and medium transport planes. It's the only airbase within seventy kilometers, and it's not registered with the Allied Air Force. I'll find out if a shipment went out in the last few days or if they're expecting one soon.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Great plan, Pavel.

V31B1Z8.jpg
It may take a few hours. You can wait here.

0T9ZKwd.jpg

We wait by the window. Later...

GBzeT5s.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Ah... I don't think so.

V31B1Z8.jpg
You ARE a commando, and not a spy. I think they were watching me. And why didn't I meet a single American on the way here? Let's get out of here.

8zsmG6S.jpg

A truck comes screeching to a halt just outside the house. The Captain can hear men clamoring out.

6AhCfqD.jpg

Pavel spots the Hammer soldiers first.

fgVsbrE.jpg

The Captain and Pavel take up firing positions behind the house. Pavel's revolver won't do much good at this range, so The Captain does most of the shooting.

Z4CpL8W.jpg

Pavel moves up to the corner of the house, and squeezes .357 rounds into the attackers as they advance.

gwYD5k2.jpg

Pavel then moves inside the house while The Captain covers him, and kills a few more enemies at close range.

mEspO2N.jpg

American soldiers start to respond, we don't need that kind of heat. Time to bug out.

stoSOTB.jpg

9z4Vbob.jpg

4B2wdEO.jpg

rTy3tTv.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Additionally, some thoughts on a few missions:

Zeizenburg and transportation:

Two more squadmates, some backstory on everybody, and a little hinting at the game's most dangerous antagonist. I really like how the game feeds you little bits at a time, much of it not relevant to the conspiracy at hand. With each character, the game tries to give a separate glance at the culture of postwar Germany. The fact that you're revisiting certain areas, getting to know the locals and feeling safe where you go is important too. It's not simply a linear progression of stages with one central hub. It feels like good, well thought out game design.

The breaking and entering in Smith's apartment was fun, if a little simple. I like that while Larry and Fidel are both engineers, although only Fidel is really competent enough to pull off the mine disarming and safe cracking. On the other story path, you get Larry well before Fidel, and putting your newest squadmate to work immediately made him seem like an important addition. Again, the use of disguises and ID's was great, having to worry about concealing weapons was a good touch, having to be mindful of the day / night cycle and having a sense of urgency when you find the attack plans all added to the experience. I wish the game had featured more non violent spying, maybe with very small scale and covert fights.

Getting to the train is a little muddled, I believe you have to trek through the sewers for some reason. Once you're at the train yard, you bribe the engineer and you're off. Like the prison, it seemed like they spent a lot of time on the trainyard, and it's a shame because you never really get to see any of it. Have to wonder if some kind of small exploration challenge or reward here would have improved the experience.

Wenzburg and Water Scoop Part 1

Exploring the Allied office at Wenzburg gets you some pretty good gear, and the patrolling Sgt. Hawkins will force you into a dialogue intelligence check. If you chose to shoot up the place, the sprawling office and reinforcements make it a fun challenge.

The Water Scoop fight itself is guilty of a recurring sin in H&S, and that is creating artificial challenge by spawning you right next to a whole bunch of enemies. It works better here than it does in most other spots, because the it gives a sense of surprise and urgency, but at this point I've seen this enough to recognize lazy design. Mercifully, there is a burned out truck off to one side which can provide some cover to the onslaught of lead that is the opfor's first turn.

Once you get past the first turn, the mission gets pretty fun. You have to collect guns, poison and cigarettes which takes up a lot of inventory room and weighs down your characters (sapping their AP). You're forced to explore for more planted evidence, and assault the shed where the rest of the Hammer agents are. They've mined the place and are waiting for you, so a dynamic entry or some kind of explosive breach can save you a real headache. All of this goes on while an invisible timer ticks down, and once you're aware of this it creates a real sense of urgency. If US reinforcements show up, it could mean a shootout which means WWIII. Overall, it's a well thought out mission.

Water Scoop Escape:

FUCK. THIS. MISSION.

I've played through the game about four times now, and on each playthrough this is always the low point of the experience. You're weighed down, but you still need to move and shoot so you end up using your squad as pack mules while one or two scout out ahead and do all the killing. That's fine, but the game doesn't really allow for any creativity here. You walk down a series of linear corridors, with no dead ends, and kill enemies as they come. Some of them patrol, others just wait for you, but they never really do anything interesting. There is a section full of mines, which are easily spotted. Once they are seen, friendly AI will just pathfind around them, so there's no challenge at all to avoiding them. Again, it reeks of lazy design and artificial challenge. Then you have to walk through a chokepoint guarded by half a dozen Hammer soldiers and a tripod mounted MG. Of course you can get through it, but it feels gamey and contrived. More artificial challenge.

There is a way to flank and skip a lot of this, but it doesn't always work out. Early on, if you have enough explosives, you can blow up a wall which leads you down a shaft to the bottom floor of the sewers, bypassing the mines and the machine gun. This sounds great, but about every other time I try it, the bottom floor ladder gets swarmed with about a dozen guards who will patiently wait for you to try and descend. Of course when you do, you'll get shot up so there's not much point to going down there. Now you're probably thinking, drop a grenade down the hatch! You'd think that would work right? Just hold a live grenade over the hole in the ground and release- let gravity do the work. Not that easy. I suspect that every grenade throw needs to register some kind of arc in it's flight, which means you can savescum all you want but the grenade will always get caught on one of the other floors before it reaches the bottom.

If you're quick, and the AI is merciful, then you can push through the level easily but it's not always the case. At the machine gun nest, you find a pair of Hammer uniforms, but I don't believe you can ever actually disguise yourself as one of them. Was this cut content? Once you get through this hellish corridor, you're left with some great explosives, machine guns and sniper rifles- so at least there's a silver lining. Once you see the exit ladder, it's a terrific feeling of relief. The choice at the end to kill, capture, or abandon Siegfried was great, and I like how the shack on the top of the hill has some great gear in it but you've got very little time to explore because of more American patrols.

I want to say that sewer levels in video games are universally not enjoyable, but the original Silent Storm actually had a great one. You're forced to drag an unconscious body down a long narrow path while getting harassed from the rear by constantly respawning enemies. If you brought a medic, and they have the right skill, this mission is much easier because they can run instead of walk while carrying a limp body. The game rewards you for taking an otherwise useless skill which is great. The enemies are clumped up, and follow you down a predictable path, so you can use mines which are mostly useless as well. Machine guns and rocket launchers are great down here, because they chew through the unarmored clumps of hammer soldiers. You're always focused on moving steadily down the corridor, while protecting your troops which gives you the chance to use the classic bounding and peel maneuver. Great set piece, wish it was mimicked in H&S.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
The meeting Pavel stage. If I remember correctly, after Pavel leave and you have some hour to spare, you can take the train back to get your troops and return in time for the meeting. You will have enough firepower to eliminate the hammer operatives, though not enough time to loot. Stay to loot will lead to shootout with American forces and can potentially lead to bad end if too many of them get killed.

That is the true use of paying for train fares, I think.

Cholo

Arcane
Chapter 19: The Airfield

Back at the bunker, Pavel is a little miffed.

fwlOoJK.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
It's worth a lot more than fifteen years. But I'll let you judge that for yourself when I intercept it.

V31B1Z8.jpg
Enough. They sent a fuel truck to the airstrip today. They are waiting for a Dakota to arrive in six hours. It's the first plane to land there in the last two months. If your load is going by plane, that's it.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
On my way. Hey, what should I call you?

V31B1Z8.jpg
Hmmm... How about Pavel Petrovich?

J4yLLsT.jpg

V31B1Z8.jpg
Of course not.

ywLC51O.jpg
Thought so.

Let's take a look at the squad before we head out to the airfield.

faEz2U4.jpg

The Captain has the FG 42 from the previous mission, with 40 rounds of ammo, a grenade, and bandages.

iU4rrNA.jpg

Sanders has a 1928 Thompson with a drum magazine, a pair of grenades and all the medical equipment she can carry without being overburdened.

bEgwb2f.jpg

Moshe brings a scoped 33/40 with 35 rounds of 7.92, a lightweight grenade and some bandages.

FbaagqE.jpg

Fidel has one of the StG44s with two extra magazines, medium body armor, lock-picks, a mine probe and a grenade.

8YZ2W0B.jpg

Larry has one of the MG 34s with an extra drum of ammo which is about half full, a lightweight grenade and bandages.

a05nDIg.jpg

Siegfried has his StG44, two extra mags, five grenades and a roll of bandages.

dHdHYCN.jpg

Pavel gets into one of the extra US uniforms, grabs a shabby 9mm submachine-gun, a few magazines, a pair of grenades and bandages.

Z6AnMbf.jpg

The squad sets out for the airfield.

hvV0pYm.jpg

The squad approaches the airfield from behind, and takes a knee when they get close.

K9zsw6S.jpg

oxQrnKA.jpg

ywLC51O.jpg
Compared to the earlier plans, this one shows deliberation and complexity.

jO8sBxZ.jpg
And you still have all your limbs?

ywLC51O.jpg
No one is more surprised than me.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
I'd love to take time to get a better grasp of the situation, but the plane looks ready to leave.\

jO8sBxZ.jpg
I think everything is clear. No sense in waiting. Besides, I've got pins and needles in my leg.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Let's go.

3lu4UuT.jpg

The squad starts out on a lane behind a trio of large structures. On the other side, lays the airfield.

Zn8Yizw.jpg

The plane looks ready to take off, and has a truck loaded with all kinds of goods parked next to it.

tAbXoAb.jpg

The far end of the airfield has a fenced off generator, and a large garage or hangar.

w3iR5O4.jpg

Larry advances a few yards and then goes prone. He'll be blocking any advancing hammer troops. Moshe climbs up the ladder of the closest building, in order to get a better look at the airfield

awhtxOk.jpg

He spots an enemy patrol on the far side of the airfield. Out of range, for now.

pUU5pIw.jpg

Fidel and The Captain take up positions at the close end of the airfield, and engage a nearby threat.

Yc0pGe8.jpg

The soldier is killed, and clips through the doorway. On the left, Sanders and Siegfried move down the alleyway between the two closest structures.

XbFvV3l.jpg

Pavel gets into the second building, and hears some people on the other side of a doorway. He mines the door and runs behind a table for cover...

ytuPoW5.jpg

Siegfried fires into the mined door, the resulting explosion shatters the door and injures the men behind it.

ZMADGKf.jpg

The explosion also forces a hidden enemy, apparently named Fridrich, out into the open.

tfbrEtQ.jpg

Siegfried has a pretty clear shot on him, and he fires a few bursts into the man's torso.

mQlBW0W.jpg

Fidel pushes down the airfield, and hops on top of the truck's hood. Objective has been spotted.

HBxz7AA.jpg

The Captain climbs on top of a tower, and starts firing down on to enemies hiding behind the plane. Moshe continues to engage targets as well.

Ngx11i1.jpg

Pavel climbs up to the second floor of the central building, and spots a man outside a window on the roof. Fires, and kills the man.

VDAjBAA.jpg

PO32hWD.jpg

Wow! That's heavy.

The squad mops up any resistance, which was pretty easy since we brought some good long range weapons and the airfield is open and for the most part lacks cover. Weapons and ammo are collected, and with that, the squad leaves.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're getting close, only two more updates to go!
Here's some bonus content from the bunker in the last update: what if we had inspected those papers more closely?
jAHgRFV.jpg

k0sox30.jpg

bIzWIME.jpg

LCXagmK.jpg

XhgRqFp.jpg

goHzeN8.jpg

6sw3Wfh.jpg

rIkUSF0.jpg

2X0X4kh.jpg

1kmJ6kR.jpg

lR3mhbt.jpg

2349Jfb.jpg

wJdBV0b.jpg

pDq06zP.jpg

9hVrfxq.jpg

wXsW3g7.jpg

3bPR8rV.jpg

eR3WITs.jpg

x085a16.jpg

BIWmaRC.jpg

gyQufQx.jpg

2I06zGH.jpg

q74OiVd.jpg

nwxlDZO.jpg

CkyClGL.jpg

xfc4Uqx.jpg

h2n3ZNl.jpg

7wx9tnI.jpg

TQSU2MI.jpg

JFBgpch.jpg

QhtLbtm.jpg

EGIrrPu.jpg

ka4xM3d.jpg

9K8Cjdb.jpg

BXmbGle.jpg

Yk5diZP.jpg

mqZZsR5.jpg

qVOncDB.jpg

Last edited:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Out of interest, I noticed 'sentinels' got a mention. Does this take place in the same universe as the SS games? Did they retcon PKs?

Cholo

Arcane
Did the PK's not get retconed? There's no sight or mention of them anywhere. Glad they're gone...

Chapter 20: Worm's Lair

7OupOg1.jpg

The squad stops in a clearing.

b6mhUBZ.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Where are the others?

ywLC51O.jpg
I sent them to the base in Zeizenburg. I said it was your order.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Why the hell did you giver orders to my team?

ywLC51O.jpg
Please listen!

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Make it fast. We need to go before they sweep the forest. Can it wait?

ywLC51O.jpg
Not after what I read in the archive.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
I don't care if it's a global fascist conspiracy.

zZC54wg.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Elizabeth...

ywLC51O.jpg
I found out where Thor's Hammer is getting its support.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
I know. From some big-shot secret-society neo-fascists. Where are they? Berlin?

ywLC51O.jpg
The CIA. The Pentagon. And the Department of State.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
What?

ywLC51O.jpg
It is a conspiracy within the US government. The CIA has imported Nazi war criminals and installed them in positions of power. They are building a shadow government to get rid of Truman.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
How?

ywLC51O.jpg
By sparking a hot war between the US and the USSR. Then they can install a pro-war government in the US.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
How could you be so stupid as to let neo-fascists create your foreign policy? Why would the Americans want war?

RTZTpI2.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Then who?

ywLC51O.jpg
Some tycoons made a fortune in the war. Those military contracts have been trying up. More money than most people can imagine. A war with the USSR would be good for business.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Oh...

ywLC51O.jpg
Operation: Tornado begins in three days. They'll cut communication lines to isolate the US and Soviet occupational forces along the border. Neo-fascist terrorists will attack the Russian zone wearing US uniforms, and hit the US zone in Russian uniforms. The isolated forces will strike back. And then no one will be able to stop the avalanche.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Damn...

ywLC51O.jpg
What do we do?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
I've got to get back to my command. I've got to warn them, and stop them from retaliating against the US.

ywLC51O.jpg
How are we gonna stop the US from retaliating against Russia?

ywLC51O.jpg
My command will warn the US. There's barely enough time for you to reach your command, let alone convince anyone!

Wd6rhp4.jpg
What else can we do?

ywLC51O.jpg
We need to inform BOTH sides.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
How? The Americans are not going to trust an AWOL paratrooper.

ywLC51O.jpg
No. But they'll trust a CIA agent.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Where are you going to find a... Oh God!

ywLC51O.jpg
I'm really sorry.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
I trusted you!

E4JQ2ym.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Then tell me the truth! What are you doing here?

ywLC51O.jpg
The CIA sent me to Vaclav so I could investigate Thor's Hammer. After the Hammer killed Vaclav, you were my best hope to track them down. The enemy of my enemy... The US command is near here. I can get the papers to my commander today!

Wd6rhp4.jpg
To the CIA? You just said the CIA is full of neo-fascists! What if they find out? Maybe they arranged to have you shot with Vaclav! Maybe your CIA commander is a neo-fascist!

ywLC51O.jpg
He's my father's best friend! I've known him since I was a child! He hates the fascists! Maybe it was your commander that tipped off the Hammer! What were YOU planning?

HC8O3Z9.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
We weren’t planning anything. Vaclav contacted us, and I was sent to investigate. That's all.

ywLC51O.jpg
OK. So will you give me the papers?

9XOBAbc.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Very well. But I'll need to meet your commander.

ywLC51O.jpg
Are you crazy?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Crazy to trust you. I'll give the papers to him only after I talk to him. Where do we need to go?

ywLC51O.jpg
You're the most infuriating man I've ever met!

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Yeah. But I'm also the only man with these papers. What do you say?

ywLC51O.jpg
Look, we have no Ids. I can simply walk onto a US base and call for a CIA representative. But what about you?

wqUxUNW.jpg

ywLC51O.jpg
It will take long enough for me to convince him of my story. And then you want me to convince him to come meet with a mysterious Russian in the forest? Why would he believe me?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
What other option do we have?

ywLC51O.jpg
Give me some of the papers about the conspiracy. I'll go to the US command at Wenzburg and you go to the Soviets.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
I'm just supposed to trust you?

ywLC51O.jpg
Is it that difficult?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Could you do it?

ywLC51O.jpg
I'm glad it's not my decision.

QJz0oqk.jpg

ywLC51O.jpg
Really?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Don't make me regret this. I'm trusting you, Elizabeth. I'm trusting you with a lot more than my life.

ywLC51O.jpg
I'll prove worthy of your trust. I promise. I feel... I mean... I don't want to say goodbye...

Wd6rhp4.jpg
We Russians have an omen. We don't bid farewell before a mission.

ywLC51O.jpg
Hmm... You know, if we had met in a different time and place...

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Yes?

ywLC51O.jpg
Forget it. I've got to go. I'll go without bidding farewell...

tO6EAHM.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
while wearing American uniforms and attack the Americans while wearing Russian uniforms. Looks like the neo-fascists want to trick the US and Soviet field commanders into launching counter-strikes at each other. It says, “after we deploy Merry Man, the Soviets will have no doubts the US intends to wipe them off the face of the earth...” What's Merry Man? “Casualty radius: ten kilometers?” Must be a misprint... “Radio communications irregularity?” But that can only be... an atomic bomb. Only the US has the A-bomb, so when Americans deny the bombing, no one will believe them. World War Three... I've got to stop them! The “Worm's Lair” tunnel leads from here to the soviet side. If I can get through the tunnel, I can report this to our command.

asSOh2s.jpg

With that, we head back to Zeizenburg to pick up our squad.

We get back to the bunker, and put the squad back together.

VAdEfaN.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
She's gone.

W3qoWTC.jpg
What do you mean, gone?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
I let her go. She's CIA. I gave her the part of the archive that describes the attack on the Americans.

W3qoWTC.jpg
You what? Well... you're the boss.

We go to check in with HQ over the Radio

LJyJqx0.jpg

Looks like we'll need to make contact in person. That means through the “Worm's Lair” tunnel network.

Let's take one last look at the squad's loadouts.

xoH7Hh9.jpg

The Captain takes the Thompson, though it needs some repairs. 100 rounds of .45 ACP should be enough, three hand grenades, stimulants and a roll of bandages.

T3fg6bI.jpg

Pavel brings a Sterling Mk. 7 machine pistol, a newer open bolt blow-back operated weapon in 9mm with a four inch (!) barrel. 128 rounds should be plenty. Three grenades, and bandages.

WCW4cvo.jpg

Moshe takes a brand new M1 Charlie we liberated from the airfield. A bandoleer with eight extra clips, a lightweight grenade, stimulants and some first aid equipment should be sufficient.

k3t01R1.jpg

Fidel has left the armor in his locker, and instead brings a MG 34, with a few extra belts, a lightweight grenade, bandages, stimulants and some engineering equipment like lock-picks and a mine probe.

ARbuinN.jpg

Larry has another MG 34 with an extra belt, another lightweight grenade, stimulants and another roll of bandages.

F5na8f8.jpg

Siegfried has a FG 42, three extra magazines, three grenades, and first aid equipment.

4air9Nc.jpg

Time to get going.

uw8Xv3A.jpg

qNofRGL.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
They're hauling an atomic bomb through the tunnel to the Soviet occupational zone. When the bomb goes off, our troops will be completely sure the US has begun World War Three, and will retaliate with everything they have. Our objective: make our way to the Soviet side and destroy the bomb. We have no other way and no margin for error. If we die, hope dies with us. Any questions?

xgSNMos.jpg
I am not hopeful about surviving the missions. But suppose we can destroy the bomb and escape to Soviet territory? What will they do to me?

TGGpFTl.jpg
And to me?

W3qoWTC.jpg
To all of us.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
I can't promise you a million dollars and a cottage by the sea. But you will be able to start life over. Though I suspect our intelligence service will most likely be interested in you.

xgSNMos.jpg
I'm too young to have Soviet intelligence interested in me...

Wd6rhp4.jpg
We'll have no way back. They'll know when we enter the tunnel and they'll send reinforcements. We'll have to fight them all.

LB2cJFL.jpg

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Shoot it to pieces of blow it up.

xgSNMos.jpg
Blow up an A-bomb? Isn't that what they want?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
It's not that easy to prepare its detonation sequence. It will likely be in safety mode in the tunnel. But if it detonates, I'll jump on it like a grenade.

xgSNMos.jpg
I hope you're right.

Wd6rhp4.jpg
One last thing... the bomb's components are toxic. As soon as it's destroyed, run! If I get killed, take the papers in my knapsack. Demand to see Lieutenant Colonel Mikhalev. Tell him my final words were “greetings from the Wolf of Fergana.”

M1sCjlT.jpg

uziZRWk.jpg

WbN0rde.jpg

7Ry79Y7.jpg

There's a bunker by the mouth of the tunnel, with some crates inside. One is mined, so Fidel investigates.

LfvBVNU.jpg

Lots of good stuff: Stimulants, a rocket launcher, a scoped battle rifle and lots of medical equipment.

5xfYdBT.jpg

Fidel's a tough guy, so he'll take the Panzerschrek with it's accompanying rockets.

GJyQRow.jpg

The squad enters the mine.

ilka8dW.jpg

The squad is spotted as soon as they enter the tunnel.

85xQkgG.jpg

They try to shoot the scout, but are too slow.

W1yWmBX.jpg

Fk4N43P.jpg

z1ZWTOJ.jpg

Word passes, and a button is pressed.

zc1dPU7.jpg

Metal bars slam down behind the squad. Trapped!

xbUFjy6.jpg

A guard was waiting for the squad at the end of this portion of the tunnel. Moshe drops him with a pair of 30-06 from his new rifle.

34ufcdy.jpg

The Captain scouts ahead in real-time, and and abuses the vanguard skill. Any time an enemy catches him unaware, he gets the first interrupt. It's a broken skill, but these tunnel missions can be a real slog, so he doesn't feel guilty about it. The tommy-gun kicks a lot of at close range.

Esb7R7j.jpg

Siegfried moves on ahead of The Captain, around the next bend, and is trapped by another barred gate.

y6iz4xj.jpg

A guard comes around the corner, but can't compete with Siegfried's high interrupt.

jflXEiq.jpg

Siegfried lets the FG 42 rip into the guard. In the low light and confided space, the fireball emerging from the muzzle brake accompanied with the report of the gunfire is staggering.

lIGNJ00.jpg

There's a MG 34 on a tripod facing Siegfried, luckily nobody is manning it.

9RAW2ar.jpg

The Captain makes his way through a crawlspace, and emerges in a wide opening.

X2sgr8e.jpg

The bomb is spotted at the end of the tracks.

ugA5TEt.jpg

The Captain makes his way down the narrow tunnel and spots a panel of three buttons. One is broken, so he blindly presses the other two.

ah9dnkA.jpg

Fidel is called up, and shoulders the rocket launcher. It's a straight line down the tracks to the bomb, let's see if this will work.

eoMfqWh.jpg

It says 0%, but I bet we can make this work.

umeCGVG.jpg

Fire.

zC170Og.jpg

Hit! An eerie green glow fills the cavern. Fidel feels instantly sick and fatigued.

8zh3WX1.jpg

Fidel backs off from the glow, and does what he can for his irradiation.

r5yXF7G.jpg

The Captain finds a PPSh-41, a familiar Soviet weapon from the war, and keeps moving through the tunnels, killing Hammer soldiers as he goes.

8YJx3Tq.jpg

Another bend in the tunnel leads to a chasm spanned by a natural bridge.

i9Vt7Ps.jpg

The Captain spots a shadowy figure behind the barricade at the end of the bridge. Too far for the PPSh-41. He calls Moshe up.

089Qeqr.jpg

Moshe tags the enemy sniper in his arm, effectively disabling him. A follow up shot kills the man.

iNM8plZ.jpg

The squad gets ready to emerge from the Worm's Lair.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More mission observations:

Siegfried & Hammer Raid:

Sieg's a solid character, with an interesting story and he prompts a lot of chatter in the squad. A good break from all the nonsense in the sewers. It's nice to be able to stop and drop all the heavy crap you're lugging around, and gear up for the next mission.

The Bogenschaffen raid is the high point of the game for me. It's best if you initiate it at night time, but it's time sensitive so that's not always and option. Sieg gives us some backstory, and Sanders accidentally exposes a little of her past. The reference to Nazi occult stuff was cool, though I'm glad they didn't end up going full RTCW with it. (What a great game! Really want to replay RTCW again now).

The target compound is guarded by Hammer soldiers, but they won't go hostile unless you break in, shoot at them, or they see Siegfried (which they always seem to do in the day time, no matter where you hide him). This is terrific, because it lets you explore the town and plan your raid instead of just going for it spontaneously. There are also a lot of civilians here, but more on that later. You can sneak around the back of the fence and break in that way, silently killing the patrolling soldiers, or come in loud through the main gate. If you want to set up any machine gunners or snipers around the map, you have a chance to do so. I can't stress enough how liberating this is. After having your hand forced in every shootout so far, you for once are able to plan and execute the raid however you like. This fits thematically with the story, since you've got actionable, human intelligence on Thor's Hammer for the first time.

Once you start shooting, all the guards in the courtyard and inside are attracted to your location, although some will guard their locations and attempt to ambush you as you clear out the main structure. On the first playthrough, you're not really sure where you're going which forces you to be thorough about checking every room, and covering your site exploitation team from marauding guards. There is a small quick reaction force that the Hammers send in, and civilians are also curious about the shooting so they start to come towards the compound as well.

This next bit I really liked. Earlier on the game teaches you about disguises and concealable weapons, and now that you feel in control for once it turns all that against you. Maybe half a dozen or so 'civilians' are actually disguised guards, who will get in close to you and then start shooting with concealed machine pistols. Once you fire on the first one, or they fire on you, all of them are exposed as foes, but it adds unpredictability and challenge in a creative way.

The rest of the raid is a good mix of close quarter battle and the use of exterior blocking forces, which is exactly what it should be. You discover the place has been mostly cleared out, but are able to glean some useful information from civilian neighbors of the compound. After the raid you are treated to your one and only glimpse into Hammer HQ, which serves as a good reward to the player. It was also nice to see that the enemies were also confused, also had limited resources, and great to see more of McLeod. On other branches, you learn even more about him, but this give us a pretty good look at the man.

3x Ambushes:

All three of these are enjoyable fights, and the idea of spawning you in danger or very nearly in danger never feels contrived.

The Forest sadly isn't a very interesting map when compared with The Hamlet or Gaffburg, but it still manages to be a pretty fun fight. 3X6 squads of ambushers spawn all around the cabin, and are supported by a lone officer and a motorcycle mounted MG. This created an interesting mechanic, where you'll need to make sure your troops are unseen at the end of every turn. If the enemy can see you, they'll call in blind fire from the mg34 which can be devastating if you're not prone behind some kind of cover. Each squad sticks together, giving the illusion of a cohesive small unit, and is lead by a named soldier, who is more skilled and better armed. You pick up some great guns and ammo from the corpses, which is helpful since you'll have gone through a lot of your own.

The Hamlet was terrific, it specifically gives you two turns to run and hide before the whole compound is raked with MG fire. If you don't get to cover, you're hit and you suffer- as simple as that. There is a stone fireplace at the corner of one of the buildings which offers some shelter but other than that you're likely to get shot up. Again, 3x6 squads led by a named and specially armed soldier. One is a sniper, who plays pretty conservatively. She's a lot of fun to stalk and gives a unique challenge. Another one has an MG34 which is devastating to your squad. You're rushed from the sides and the center, but if you're smart about everything it's a manageable and fun fight.

Gaffburg is my favorite of the three ambushes, and is also best if played at night time. Right away you're under fire from a sniper, and an enemy squad controls the adjacent building. You can either assault it immediately, which leaves you possibly under fire from the sniper, or occupy the structure to your left and fight from there. The snipers on this map are dangerous, but don't stay forever and will bug out if the battle starts to go against them, making them hard to kill. A panzerschrek (if you bought one for Conrad or Sigmund) through the window will probably do the job, but if you're quick and stealthy you can actually flank the snipers and kill them up close. This is tough to do since they leave unexpectedly (either a timer or a kill counter prompts their escape), and one of them has barricaded himself in with some very durable furniture. Lots of guards around him too, but the reward is a suppressed K98 sniper rifle so it's worth the effort. I wasn't able to kill the sniper this playthrough, but I have before. The rest of the fight is good house to house and floor to floor fighting, and Siegfired and Sanders will both be very useful. Terrific mission overall.

Last edited:

Cholo

Arcane
Chapter 21: The Crossroads
TRicyWO.jpg

6izTY8N.jpg

9ONLUQ4.jpg

N2rHMG3.jpg

S1AmEyf.jpg

jO8sBxZ.jpg
I don't like it. What are they doing here?

Tq6wSUY.jpg

The squad starts by a ladder leading back to the Worm's Lair.

3sCxBXd.jpg

Bombed out structures litter the map.
uznS558.jpg

The titular crossroads.

gns1yM4.jpg

A Soviet communications building at the other side of the map.

zHaODZJ.jpg

The Captain and Siegfried take up positions on the edge of the Southern road.

m9r1tEH.jpg

Larry hides by some ruins a little further North, closer to the crossroads.

3oHvN21.jpg

Moshe hides by some ruins near Larry, close to the West road. Further to his left, Pavel and Fidel wait at the crest of a small hill.

TDAV1dF.jpg

A car slowly approaches, with a group of Soviet soldiers on foot surrounding it. They are stopped by a pair of Soviets...

kK2ktaT.jpg

Who open fire.
xwCnTYL.jpg

W3qoWTC.jpg
It's like Wenzburg!

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Don't let them reach the car! Cut them off!

JCEm4WL.jpg

OPFOR gets the first turn.

Week3up.jpg

But wastes it and is eviscerated.

HOZbHf6.jpg

The Soviet Close Protection Detail closes up around the LtC.

1iEvRF6.jpg

Larry mows down advancing Hammer soldiers with the aid of Moshe's spotting skills. Fidel and Pavel work similarly to the west, behind the car.

8JaOlsd.jpg

The spotter – machine gun combination is devastating against the blindly advancing soldiers. Siegfried and The Captain fire potshots down the road but fail to add much to the fight. The MG 34s are doing all the work.

Once all the attackers are dispatched
iHdsjkX.jpg

lDICqbL.jpg
At ease, Captain. How did you get here, you clever bastard?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
No time! I need to get to headquarters immediately. These materials have to go directly to the Soviet Marshal Chuikov!

lDICqbL.jpg
Slow down. Let me at least get a look at you!

Wd6rhp4.jpg
Later! I found out who blew up the department.

lDICqbL.jpg
What? Who?

Wd6rhp4.jpg
German neo-fascists! They want to spark World War Three. In three days they'll launch attacks like this throughout Germany – against us and against the Americans.

lDICqbL.jpg
Right. Let's go to headquarters. Quickly.

uBiblZp.jpg

lDICqbL.jpg
You've got another gang? I'll send a truck.

Epilogue

OQ2TorJ.jpg

PvP8pLe.jpg

uieyQ7y.jpg

OnpCDKr.jpg

8IJJiLg.jpg

Z3O3Mpp.jpg

IhUxtbw.jpg

ibJUUkV.jpg

zmOxfBd.jpg
Thank you, Comrade Lieutenant Colonel. I'm tired of sitting. I'd rather stand.

lDICqbL.jpg
Stop this nonsense.

zmOxfBd.jpg
I've been sitting all week. They haven't let me out once.

lDICqbL.jpg
What? They even allow prisoners out.

zmOxfBd.jpg
So I am worse than a prisoner.

lDICqbL.jpg
Stop complaining. You're the one who cause all the trouble.

zmOxfBd.jpg
I thought I prevented trouble.

lDICqbL.jpg
Still insolent. But I'm not offended. You can stand as much as you like later. But please sit down. We have a lot to talk about.

zmOxfBd.jpg
What are the charges against me?

lDICqbL.jpg
You have good cause to worry about that. I know I've been afraid for my own neck these last two months.

a43KTY6.jpg

lDICqbL.jpg
Spoken like a man. You've spent these last two weeks under a death sentence.

zmOxfBd.jpg
What for?

lDICqbL.jpg
You don't know?

zmOxfBd.jpg
Tell me.

lDICqbL.jpg
You had in your posession documents exposing a conspiracy against the USSR, and you gave them to US officer Elizabeth J. Sanders.

zmOxfBd.jpg
Sorry, couldn't find a US general.

lDICqbL.jpg
That means you worked for US intelligence!

zmOxfBd.jpg
No. US intelligence worked for me.

qjhQPdm.jpg

zmOxfBd.jpg
Mikhalych, I have nothing to lose. I'm not afraid to punch you right in the face.

lDICqbL.jpg
If you weren't morally corrupted by her, why give her the evidence?

zmOxfBd.jpg
To stop a world war! Operation: Tornado was three days away! I had no time and no help from Moscow!

lDICqbL.jpg
You should have come to us. With the papers and the woman!

zmOxfBd.jpg
Mikhalych. It's taken the system two weeks just to investigate whether I'm to be interrogated or shot. I had three days!

2VAkJ16.jpg

lDICqbL.jpg
So you decided you're such a clever fellow, you'll do it all by yourself? Who gave you the authority?

zmOxfBd.jpg
Stalin himself. “Everyone imposes his own system as far as his army can reach.” My army could reach them in West Germany. Yours could not.

lDICqbL.jpg
Well, you won't be working in Germany any more, of course.

zmOxfBd.jpg
I... What?

lDICqbL.jpg
You've been promoted, Comrade Major. Your information helped us knock out their entire network. The Wenzburg operation you uncovered is just a playground. Chuikov himself has taken over the show. Vasilevsky was informed too. And it is even possible that he himself was informed... I'm sure you understand what I mean.

RpFxu7e.jpg

lDICqbL.jpg
Very funny. By the way, the Americans formally thanked our intelligence for indispensable help in uncovering the conspiracy deep in their ranks. You've also been decorated with the Order of the Red Banner and sent to the Urals Military District – to get you out of harm's way.

zmOxfBd.jpg
When do I report for duty?

lDICqbL.jpg
Your plane flies out the day after tomorrow.

zmOxfBd.jpg
A plane? Very impressive.

lDICqbL.jpg
Indeed. Any more questions?

zmOxfBd.jpg
What will happen to my agents?

iwbX67B.jpg

lDICqbL.jpg
They'll take Pavel to Moscow. To the Center. Our transport officials are interested in him, too, since he's worked with the Reich and the Americans. Frankly, we don't know what to do with Moshe. First we thought we might make him an agent and send him to Israel. We need people there. But I don't think he'll cooperate. We can break him but we can't bend him. Besides he looks a little out of his wits. And we can't send him to Poland. There are no more Jews there.

zmOxfBd.jpg
He's not crazy, he's just stubborn.

lDICqbL.jpg
You'd put your head on the block for him?

zmOxfBd.jpg
Yes. I stand up for my men.

lDICqbL.jpg
I'm only joking. We've had a suggestion to send him to the Ukraine. They need resourceful people to fight the bandits.

V9haRno.jpg

lDICqbL.jpg
The German boy, the one who goes by an American name... He'll be put to work in a shipyard, I think. Your report says he's a capable mechanical engineer, so he should do well.

About Siegfried... Why are you protecting him? He's an enemy!

zmOxfBd.jpg
I know he is. I'd have killed him if I ran into him during the war.

lDICqbL.jpg
So why stick your neck out for him?

zmOxfBd.jpg
Siegfried helped an enemy agent against native-born traitors and helped me stop a war. How many of us would have the guts to do that?

lDICqbL.jpg
What if he's guilty of war crimes? What if he was burning people alive in their villages?

avfAyBg.jpg

lDICqbL.jpg
Damn, but you're a man of principle. All right, we'll have an investigation. Come with me. We need to get you into a decent uniform.

zmOxfBd.jpg
Ah... what for?

lDICqbL.jpg
So we won't be ashamed to show you to Comrade Stalin.

zmOxfBd.jpg
What?!

lDICqbL.jpg
Oh, one more thing. At the highway? Thank you, Major.

CN6DHXQ.jpg

6pz3BmC.jpg

oTyAvec.jpg

GxX0iMS.jpg

Giy5hoL.jpg

4hDPupb.jpg

VYtlbZz.jpg

hOk4Oyy.jpg

ZYKRoEE.jpg

g6fFUG6.jpg

KD7yUcC.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, that's it.

I'd like to post some additional thoughts on the game in the future, and maybe some alternate content, but that's the end of the game. Hope you folks enjoyed, and if you've never gotten a chance to play H&S, maybe you've been persuaded to try and track a copy down.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Surprised none of them died of cancer from the nuke.

What would have happened if you hadn't co-operated with Elisabeth?

Boxer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
:salute:

Sweet.

There are also the other ending outros on Youtube.

I dont know the 'worst thing that coud happen is commanding a platoon on he frontlines' saying. Does the game have the cyrillic lines in there?

Cholo

Arcane
Cpt's got some pro karate moves there!

As far as the nuke, if you're close you get hit harder but the radiation can't make it around the corner so a little planning prevents that headache.

Not sure about the 1962 coincidence, but a 1960's sequel would be fantastic. It's a real shame these guys aren't around any more- tragic actually. A JA2 inspired tactics game with 'choices & consequences' and an interesting historic setting is something I haven't seen anywhere else. I'm honestly very curious to see how Wasteland 2 will compare to it.

oscar

Arcane
The SS engine is a great one, wish more stuff used it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom