Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's light the Magic Candle... Blind!

Who shall accompany Kodex in his quest to save the Magic candle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Which other Scorpia could it possibly be?
I think she was pretty well known by RPG and Adventure gamers by the time Magic Candle was released, at least in the US. In Europe I guess other gaming mags were more popular than CWG. At least I can't remember seeing it for sale in my neck of the backwaters.

Zetor

Arcane
The Scorpitron in Wasteland was named after Scorpia too. She was apparently kind of a big deal!

e: I seem to remember the Magic Candle maps and keyword lists taking up about 30 pages in CoV (Hungarian C-64/Amiga mag in the early 90s) spread over 6 or so issues... serious business.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Stopping the trolling

u04001_zpsb79bd781.png

Before we go, I have Ziyx and Eflun use a drelin each. The party's overland speed is determined by the slowest party member, so you should make sure that the wizards aren't slowing the party down.

u04002_zps979f864e.png

We ran into a merchant shortly after we left Port Avur.

u04003_zps676daff7.png

Ah! Rimfiztrik has said that we're going to need cubes in our adventure. So let's buy some.

u04004_zpsd9a5d360.png

Unfortunately, we're pretty much broken, and only have enough coins to buy 1. Not that we need more, as I don't even know what can I do with it.

u04005_zpsf7604875.png

In case you've been wondering: yes, road encounters happen very frequently. In fact, you'd run into one of them pretty much every other step.

u04006_zpsadbbd7a4.png

:rpgcodex: "Advice?"

u04007_zpsaaea292e.png

:x

u04008_zps55fe1f85.png

u04009_zpse01314e6.png

This one knight isn't any more helpful either.

u04010_zps3fdd42c2.png

u04011_zpse692632b.png

We ran into another merchant, who sells spheres instead of cubes. As we have no money, I didn't buy any.

u04012_zpsa9d1e350.png

Look out! Monsters on the bridge!

u04013_zps9a1d2d73.png

Our party found themselves fighting some bridge guardians -- two orcs, and two trolls.
TROLLS: I may be wrong to classify trolls as "soldiers" instead of "beasts." Trolls are nearly as stupid as they are strong. Nevertheless, they are intelligent enough to extort large sums of money as fees for crossing the bridges they guard. Trolls become enraged even more easily than orcs, especially when they encounter interesting opponents. I wager that your party will never have the chance to pay a toll in lieu of battle.
None of the monsters have ranged attack, so I position our guys at the left-most row on the battlefield.

u04014_zpsd5091bdb.png

The plan: Kodex, Nazim and Alhan will shot the crap out of the monsters, and Ziyx will bombard the trolls with Shatter to speed up things a bit.

u04015_zps2d45fafc.png

u04016_zps63996588.png

The manual sure wasn't kidding when it said that Shatter's damage is quite variable...

u04017_zps5793ce61.png

u04018_zpsc585165a.png

Alhan quickly dispatched the two trolls, who have been weakened by Ziyx's spell.

u04019_zpsd4309872.png

Ugh, I probably shouldn't have been so stingy with spells. The orcs managed to close up with us, and one of them landed a nasty hit on Nazim.

u04020_zps098ed510.png

u04021_zpsc2e169e0.png

Still, we won the battle without much problem.

u04022_zps7264c154.png

Holy crap, those trolls sure are rich! :incline:

u04023_zpsc06898fa.png

Travelling is slower at night, and slower travelling means more energy cost. It's better to rest at night instead.

u04024_zpsf684e978.png

We resumed our expedition at dawn, after an uneventful night had passed.

u04025_zps605c6bfc.png

Ah, we have found the mushroom patch! It's on the bank of the river, just as Lufer said.

u04026_zps307e812b.png

Holy crap, that's a lot of mushrooms.

u04027_zps28bcdcf8.png

u04028_zps2ce3ff90.png

Rexor picked up a lot of gonshis, then distributed them among the party members. Of course, I made sure that we hadn't picked all the mushrooms there.

u04029_zps99cc976d.png

Another encounter ahead...

u04030_zps3ba0d810.png

You'll notice that there're two types of monsters that we haven't seen before. The humanoid in armor are wolvinga, and the lightblue... thing is a domug.
WOLVINGA: Sadly, it is impossible to avoid comparing wolvinga to elves. Goblins are not (I swear) debased dwarves, and orcs cannot possibly be perverted specimens of the race of Man. But it cannot be denied that the wolvinga are elves gone bad. There seems to be no hope of redemption for these "dark elves." Call them monsters. Eliminate them. Thank the gods that the wolvinga have forgotten their ancestral archery skills.
DOMUGS: The domug is a strange little creature. The forces of Darkness have, it seems, brought the domugs from the far East, beyond Gurtex. Domugs hang back from the battle line and throw sharp little four-pointed things. Quite often they hit vital spots.

u04031_zpsf7eb1c9d.png

I align our guys as such. The domug is the only one capable of ranged attacks here, so killing it will be our first priority.

u04032_zps931b1db0.png

It's easier said than done, though, as domugs have more stamina than you'd think.

u04033_zps60d61c96.png

Note the drop in Nazim's stamina. He's been hit by the domug last round. These little fuckers sure hit hard...

u04034_zps9371f4b9.png

:incline:

u04035_zps9a8d8f4b.png

:decline:

u04036_zps3f98d3f8.png

Looks like we can't kill the wolvinga before they close up with us. Alright then, Kodex will use a nift and tank the wolvinga. Let's see how it goes...

u04037_zps01f062b6.png

u04038_zps8c20ea2a.png

With the help of a few Shatter spells, we were able to take out the wolvinga right after the nift expired.

u04039_zpsebdce40c.png

Sadly, those monsters weren't nearly as rich as the bridge guardians we fought before.

u04040_zpsb2e58428.png

Nighttime now...

u04041_zps4a12774c.png

But, during our rest, we were ambushed by some orcs! :oops: This is why it's important to have someone watch over the party during the rest; otherwise you won't have the chance to position characters and draw weapons before the combat starts.

u04042_zps254974c2.png

Anyway, we won the battle without much problem.

u04043_zps72212af9.png

When sleeping in wildness, one can only recover to half of his maxium stamina or energy, unless he has a blanket. Which is why Rexor is giving his blanket to Nazim.

u04044_zps62e863ba.png

Another ambush? Oh FFS...

u04045_zps104a7a92.png

You should know how this goes by now.

u04046_zps9f9e0927.png

Sometimes monsters are guarding a chokepoint, such as a mountain pass. These monsters don't wander like patrols, but you must defeat them in order to pass through.

u04047_zpsf5789b98.png

No, I'm not gonna describe the battle for you. Suffice to say, it went as any other fight we have fought.

u04048_zps21448bba.png

u04049_zpsc18007e5.png

Look, there's a teleportal house to the northwest!

u04050_zps97671037.png

:hmmm:

u04051_zpsaa1b2dad.png

Unfortunately, we have no idea how to use the teleportals, so we left.

u04052_zps462d60cc.png

Our food's running low, so we went back to Port Avur to stock up. First, however, Nazim picked up his chainmail at the armory.

u04053_zps327b2a62.png

Then we bought more food.

u04054_zps332c1c01.png

Alhan worked some more, and on the next day, Kodex went to the armory to pick up his plate armor. Now's time to set out again!

u04055_zpse325fe2d.png

Shortly after they left Port Avur, our party found a group of monsters following behind them. One nice thing about MC is, once you have killed a group of monsters, they're gone for good -- until the reinforcement comes, that is. As we're trying to rid Pheron of monsters, there's no reason to leave this group alive.

u04056_zps827c0274.png

Our opponents are: two orcs, and three goblins.
GOBLINS: Goblins are not quite as stupid as orcs. They are small, but strong. One might be tempted to compare goblins to dwarves, with their short stature, high stamina, and preference for the axe as a weapon. Personally, I abhor such a comparison. One might as well compare orcs to the race of Man. Goblins, incidentally, are also subject to the fighting rage, but not so much as orcs.
Goblins are almost identical to orcs. Just as easy to deal with, as well.

u04057_zps4091ef15.png

After the combat, we ran into yet another merchant on the road, this time a pyramid-selling one. I bought two of them.

u04058_zpsf304e88a.png

Huh... A house is ahead. I wonder who might be living there?

u04059_zpsd172de69.png

Actually, it's a guest house. Oh well, we'll get a night's sleep on bed, then.

u04060_zps6255bcd6.png

Upon leaving the guest house, I noticed that we're now in the province of Shertuz. Ahead of us lies the barren wastes of Shertuz, which I'm not sure we're ready to deal with. I think we'll be heading back.

u04061_zps81e692ec.png

Another bridge fight.

u04062_zpsc5ff2ad4.png

Man, those bridge guardians seem to be richer than other monsters. Must be the toll they extorted from passengers.

u04063_zps25c0172b.png

And yet another bridge fight...

u04064_zps0aafd348.png

I see a domug there... Better be careful.

u04065_zps18cde9a4.png

u04066_zps61c85671.png

Fortunately, Ziyx killed the domug before it could do any damage to us. The rest of battle was slaughter.

u04067_zpse08328ef.png

Yes, bridge guardians are definitely richer than normal monsters.

u04068_zps89287c25.png

Aaand yet another bridge fight.

u04069_zps5b01dccd.png

I think I'll skip this one.

u04070_zpsb29cb6a5.png

Moneyz! :yeah: We're in Phaleng now, though, and I don't want to explore Phaleng just yet. So we head back.

u04071_zps805101cb.png

We're rich now, so I bought two spheres from this merchant. By the way, I think we have exterminated all monsters in Pheron. :smug:

u04072_zps10c86066.png

u04073_zps1e62fcc4.png

Back to Port Avur, Kodex and Nazim upgraded their weapons. Alhan and Eflun also got a short sword each. The rest of money went to supplies.

u04074_zps777720b4.png

There ends a rather short update. Next time we'll explore Uberion, and probably Dermagud as well, so you can bet the next update will be more intersting!

Bonus content: Deruvian Geography, Part One
The Manual said:
Geography

Lady Subia is a cousin of King Rebnard. She has made hobbies both of traveling and studying the lands through which she travels. Most recently, she has traveled to King Rebnard's castle from the Crystal Castle at the farthest reaches of Rebnard's domain. This is her description of the lands through which your quest will take you.

The lands of Deruvia--sometimes called "Deruvias," or "the Deruvias"-- consist of a large continent, a major island to its northeast, and several smaller islands. Your map will give you a clear picture of the local geography. As you travel around the Deruvias, you will notice that Deruvia is but a small part of the world: while the seasons have their effects--the sun rises later and sets earlier in the winter--any one of the Deruvian districts is much like another. Rumors tell of other continents: the "Lost Realm" lies to the west, and the lands of Gurtex--the home of Darkness, but perhaps also the home of lost colonies of the children of light--lie to the east. The north contains only oceans of ice; the south is protected by a band of equatorial storms. Deruvia's main continent might just as well have been two large islands. The northwestern tundra and the southeastern forest are connected only by a narrow bridge of land. But, where you might expect such a land bridge to be a chain of islands or a barely passable marsh, the world of Deruvia came forth with the Blackrock Mountains--a major upheaval in the world's crust. The mountains are miles high; the seas at their feet are miles deep. The only known passage from the northwest to the southeast is Gambode Pass. The origin of the name "Gambode" is not clear. It may be related to the word "gamble" in the language of man; it may be derived from the elvish "cambodex" or the dwarvish "ghambordoi." Oddly enough, both the elvish and dwarvish words refer to people of other races who undertake a project that is doomed to failure. The northwestern part of Deruvia has seven districts. The largest is the desert of Shertuz, occupying the middle of the demi-continent. Once a magnificent prairie, Shertuz has been devastated by the forces of Darkness and is now the desert home of deadly Sandgus. South of Shertuz are the sunken lands of Meram. Darkness has turned the fields of Meram to marshes, as it has turned the pastures of Shertuz to deserts. The farmers of Meram have fled to other lands, and their places have been taken by disease-ridden Slime. The other five districts have been more fortunate. Pheron, at the far northwest, is the seat of government of King Rebnard. The forces of Darkness have made only a token appearance in Pheron. Several members of Rebnard's court, however, believe that Darkness is insinuating itself into Pheron in less obvious ways...

Monty

Arcane
When you say Kodex and Nazim upgraded their weapons, what did you get them, I assume scimitars or longswords? Did their shortswords then go to Eflun and Alhan?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Now that's some proper adventuring. Watching with great interest (especially for elven maids) :)

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
When you say Kodex and Nazim upgraded their weapons, what did you get them, I assume scimitars or longswords? Did their shortswords then go to Eflun and Alhan?
Scimitars. Can't believe I forgot to mention this...

Kodex and Nazim had to sell their short swords, and Eflun and Alhan had to buy their own. For some reasons, you can't give a character's weapon to another character. I think it's rather stupid, honestly.

Monty

Arcane
Scimitars. Can't believe I forgot to mention this...

Kodex and Nazim had to sell their short swords, and Eflun and Alhan had to buy their own. For some reasons, you can't give a character's weapon to another character. I think it's rather stupid, honestly.
Ah ok, that's what I was wondering about. Thought it was strange they would buy short swords if there were others going spare, and I noticed you could give mushrooms and coins etc to other party members so I thought the inventory was more flexible.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Seeking for Dermagud

u05001_zps144ea3b0.png

Some monsters were guarding the mountain pass to Uberion, and we must defeat them in order to pass through.

u05002_zpsc8761931.png

See the dude in red robe? That's a zorlim, a new type of monster.
ZORLIMS: You will quite often find a zorlim, or "goblin monk," leading a patrol of orcs or goblins. A zorlim leads from the rear. He will order his troops while he stands back and casts balls of fire at what he considers his most dangerous opponents.
Zorlims are the only spellcasting enemy we have encountered so far. They attack with fireballs, which could fire in any direction (unlike bows, which could only fire in 4 directions).

u05003_zps84407651.png

Our priority here is to take out the zorlim ASAP. So I placed Kodex and Rexor on the front line, and told them to draw their scimitars instead of bows.

u05004_zps42dea831.png

First off, Kodex and Rexor will use a gonshi each. Gonshis boost the characters' dexterity, giving them four actions in a single combat round. However, the act of using a gonshi itself will take an action, which left them with three more. Kodex and Rexor closed up on the zorlim, while others bombarded our enemy with arrows and spells.

u05005_zps1428f236.png

The zorlim cast a fireball at Rexor. Spells are nasty, as they ignore armor. Fortunately, I had Eflun cast Shield on everyone while we were exploring Pheron, and Rexor's shield absorbed the fireball spell.

u05006_zps24666e3b.png

The next turn, Kodex and Rexor used another gonshi each, and Rexor used a nift as well, to protect himself from the trolls.

u05007_zpsebde30e8.png

The zorlim continued to spam fireballs, but our bros were well protected. :smug:

u05008_zps5d59cf07.png

Kodex managed to slay the zorlim, who has been wounded by Ziyx's spells, in the next turn.

u05009_zps8402bac0.png

The rest of battle went smoothly.

u05010_zps8cc6604d.png

Just a few steps ahead, we ran into another monster group.

u05011_zps15ad1a6a.png

A zorlim, an orc, and three wolvinga. I'm pretty sure we can handle this.

u05012_zps9cbf74eb.png

Ziyx one-shot the zorlim with a Shatter spell. :incline:

u05013_zps3251bd33.png

I don't need to describe the rest of battle to you.

u05014_zpsfa0367af.png

A monk! We haven't encountered those on roads before.

u05015_zpsb509b47e.png

monk_zps21eca509.png
"Six of the 'gods' sleep in underground chambers. Two sleep above ground."
:rpgcodex: "Gods?"
monk_zps21eca509.png
"The ones that sleep above are Kalb and Pax."
:rpgcodex: "Kalb?"
monk_zps21eca509.png
"His temple is in Dakland."
:rpgcodex: "Pax?"
monk_zps21eca509.png
"He is far far away."
:rpgcodex: "Rumors?"
monk_zps21eca509.png
"They say the chosen hero will save us."
:rpgcodex: "Do you know anything about temples?"
monk_zps21eca509.png
"There is a temple nearby, through Dermagud."

:takenotes:

u05016_zps94b64e6e.png

u05017_zpsd1ec429b.png

u05018_zpsc0354d5f.png

We have found a sanctuary! :yeah:

Santuaries are mostly similiar to guest houses, with a few additional services. The monks asked for a 50 gold donation, but we didn't have much money, so I declined. The monks apparently doesn't mind.

u05019_zpsf3a325f3.png

And they even gave us some potions as we left!

u05020_zpse6937ec1.png

More monsters...

u05021_zps9ce85a55.png

Move along, nothing to see here.

u05022_zps76a0ef31.png

Hmm, we're standing on the lakeside of Lake Brelleht. I seem to recall hearing a rumor that there's a dungeon under the lake... But even if the rumor was true, we could't find anything here anyway. Let's go back. Maybe check out the sanctuary again...

u05023_zps69737bf5.png

Uh-oh.:oops:

You know, I actually felt bad here for being a cheapskate before. But on the positive side: C&C, bitches! :incline:

u05024_zps136f70d9.png

Moving ahead, we met another monk on the road.

monk_zps21eca509.png
"Inspect the altars in temples."
monk_zps21eca509.png
"I hear Rabbonkar teaches dwarvish."
:rpgcodex: "Rabbonkar?"
monk_zps21eca509.png
"In Soldain."
:rpgcodex: "Thanks. Also, I hope you don't mind our indirect sabotage on the sanctuary there."

u05025_zps2b34221f.png

u05026_zps70976715.png

More monster extermination.

u05027_zps0c5ec8dd.png

As we proceeded, we ran into a wide rift.

u05028_zps5b6dff70.png

We need a rope to cross the rift, so it's a good thing that we had brought one with us. :smug:

u05029_zpse83ac22d.png

You know, these encounters are starting to get annoying.

u05030_zpsaf71779c.png

I just wanted to show you the attack animation of zorlims.

u05031_zps31c003de.png

If you look closely, you'd see a village to the south -- the village of Soldain. We'll have to go there, but I promised you we'd see Dermagud this update, so let's delay visiting Soldain for a while.

u05032_zps1c3e4f03.png

After defeating some more monsters, we discovered another mushroom patch!

u05033_zpscc678e09.png

Lots of sermins grow here. We picked up most of them, but left some so the mushrooms could recuperate.

u05034_zpsef4a7374.png

To the north was a dead end. Seems like we'll have to go east.

u05035_zps3acc4c39.png

Hey, it's a bridge encounter! These tends to give good money.

u05036_zpsf4f52630.png

Holy crap that's a lot of trolls.

u05037_zps36e16fab.png

The battle went like every other bridge fight -- the party took out the ranged attacker with spells, shot the crap out of other monsters, and searched their body for phat lewt.

u05038_zps1572e875.png

As we rested on the bridge, however, we were ambushed by another group of monsters.

u05039_zps4ecd1581.png

u05040_zpsa2695136.png

Oddly, these guys also carried a large amount of cash. Could it be that, since the battle took place on a bridge, they were considered bridge guardians? :hmmm: Intersting. I wonder if this could be exploited.

u05041_zpsb19d917e.png

Huh? After walking ahead a bit, the party found themselves in the province of Shertuz. We've checked everywhere we could've gotten into in Uberion, but yet we didn't find Dermagud. Odd.

u05042_zpsf19cc750.png

But anyways, there're more monsters for us to beat on!
SANDGUS: Although sandgus can be found anywhere, their natural habitat is the desert. A sandgu has large claws, a hard carapace, and a vile disposition. Built low to the ground, sandgus are quite agile. They do not kill for food (they eat thorny desert plants), but for enjoyment.
Sandgus are fairly unimpressive melee monsters. Their attack is probably poisonous, but I've no intention of finding out.

u05043_zpsc46ad114.png

u05044_zpsb33dec95.png

Ziyx one-shot one of the sandgus with a Shatter spell, and other guys shot the crap out of the remaining monsters.

u05045_zps55a11c26.png

Oddly enough, sandgus do carry money.

u05046_zps56360427.png

Hey, it's another mushroom patch!

u05047_zpsa5db1d42.png

Drelins! Very useful. We're running short on those.

u05048_zps21e3bbd2.png

That's... Ah, that's the guest house on the western border of Shertuz, which we visited last update. We have came a full circle, but still haven't been able to locate Dermagud. Even more oddly, there's an area in Uberion, surrounded with rivers and mountains, which seems completely inaccessible. The hell?

u05049_zps7f157492.png

Well, fuck that. We'll be visiting Soldain instead.

u05050_zpsbb14865b.png

We've got a few things to do here. First, we've heard of some people who live here, and we should pay them a visit. Second, we'll have to check out the rumor about Thorin's hammer.

u05051_zps03fda872.png

Soldain is a village. Unlike towns, which have shops and stuff, villages consist of mostly residence. You have to know who's living here, or they won't let you in. Fortunately, we're pretty knowledgable about the residents of Soldain.

u05052_zps45c4df2e.png

Inside the house shown in the last image lives Yodan the dwarf.

u05053_zps685687d8.png

Unfortunately, he doesn't want to talk. Let's check out another house then.

u05054_zps71fdfebd.png

Azidamus! He's supposed to sell books of Sabano.

sitting4_zps1249225c.png
"I would say that you need a book!"
:rpgcodex: "Book?"
sitting4_zps1249225c.png
"Name the book you seek."
:rpgcodex: "Sabano."

u05055_zpsbbdd8a94.png

:rage: An extra book of Sabano would be very nice to have, but Azidamus charges an exorbitant amount of cash for one. I think we'll pass.

u05056_zpsc5cb5230.png

To the south is the home of Hokando. But he too wasn't willing to talk, because once again, Rexor isn't charismatic enough. Ugh.

u05057_zps6c77625d.png

u05058_zps27cd3d92.png

Jerks refusing to talk are SO FUCKING ANNOYING. We may need to take a trip to Bondell soon.

u05059_zps6e6f74ba.png

Rabbonkar lives here. We've heard that he teaches dwarvish, so let's pay him a visit!

u05060_zpsa1270a72.png

Alright, take our gold!

u05061_zpsb0763bbe.png

u05062_zpseb4eaacd.png

u05063_zps538227b4.png

u05064_zps39f9c715.png

Good thing I don't have to transcribe all these crap by myself. DOSBox screenshot to the rescue!

u05065_zpsfaacb255.png

u05066_zps95b51398.png

Sigh.

u05067_zps8adfff73.png

Finally, someone who's actually willing to talk!

dwarf3_zpsd30e3d67.png
"I hear there are captive orcs in Port Avur."
dwarf3_zpsd30e3d67.png
"Seek 'temple of sun' at Kuskunn."
:rpgcodex: "Temple of sun?"
dwarf3_zpsd30e3d67.png
"You can pray to Nexis there."
:rpgcodex: "Nexis?"
dwarf3_zpsd30e3d67.png
"Sun god of Deruvias."
:rpgcodex: "How can we get to Kuskunn, then?"
dwarf3_zpsd30e3d67.png
"You can sail there from Keof."

u05068_zps6a9d7e0e.png

Moving to the next house...

u05069_zps5a6550a2.png

u05070_zps2df8b01c.png

Ooh, this guy can raise our learning score! Spending money on this is a good idea, since high learning allows you to learn more for the same amount of money and time cost. I'm not gonna have any of our guys learn here right now, but I'll have at least one of them do that soon.

u05071_zps8afd4f96.png

dwarf_zps3a733dae.png
"If you please the council, the may declare you dwarf-friend."
dwarf_zps3a733dae.png
"I hear of a 'captain' from Keof dares to sail to Isles of Ice."
:rpgcodex: "Captain?"
dwarf_zps3a733dae.png
"You may hire him to wait for you while you explore the isle."

u05072_zps8cd49aa9.png

We have visited all buildings in Soldain but this one: the village hall. The doors won't open until 18:00, however, so we'll have to wait for a while.

u05073_zps65d83445.png

Alright, it's 18:00 now.

u05074_zps198a6704.png

u05075_zpscea132c2.png

dwarfoff_zpsd9ac1897.png
"Dwarves can be very generous on occasion."
dwarfoff_zpsd9ac1897.png
"Some say the hammer is lost forever!"
:rpgcodex: "Ah, I almost forgot about that. What do you know about the hammer?"
dwarfoff_zpsd9ac1897.png
"It was stolen from our hall."
:rpgcodex: "And it belonged to Thorin, right?"
dwarfoff_zpsd9ac1897.png
"He was the greatest leader of dwarf kind."

u05076_zps1923d9a8.png

The guy to Yondilar's left also has some insight to offer regarding the matter. Hmmm, maybe we should check out what the orcish captives in Port Avur have to say about this...

u05077_zpsbe4a15f2.png

dwarfoff2_zpsde0fdf33.png
"The hammer must be restored to its place."
"They say the hammer is buried in a dark dungeon!"
:rpgcodex: "Do you know anything about hoyam?"
"Talk to Okdark about that."

u05078_zps09232b1e.png

There's Okdark! I'd actually missed him completely. Guy's kinda hard to spot.

dwarfoff3_zpse8529e93.png
"You must prove your worth!"
:rpgcodex: "By finding the hammer, I presume?"
"We will be forever grateful if you can bring it back."
:rpgcodex: "Well, sure. But we've no idea where to look for, yet. Rumors?"
"I heard of your quest. May Thorin guide you."
:rpgcodex: "Freggar told us to ask you about hoyam."
"Hoyam essence eh? We can give you some if you prove you are worthy of such a gift."

In other words, we have to find Thorin's hammer for those lazy-ass dwarves to get some hoyam essence. Typical fetch quest is typical.:roll:

u05079_zps2f71a913.png

A dwarf called Nobkin hangs out near Soldain halls at night. He didn't want to talk with us either.

u05080_zps7bebd806.png

Alright, then. I decided to spend something like 600 coins -- about half of what we've got -- to improve Kodex's learning. Why Kodex? Well... To begin with, he's already got the highest learning score in the party, so why not boost it further? Once we get to visit Bondell, I plan to have Kodex replace Rexor as our diplomat. Besides, Kodex is the protagonist, and those always get favorable treatment.

What shall other party members do while Kodex is training? I'm not sure. Maybe hunt down some monsters in Mermaris for cash, then head to Bondell when Kodex has finished training. Maybe go back to Port Avur to stock up on supplies, then explore the main continent of Deruvia some more. I have yet to make my mind.

Bonus content: Deruvian Geography, Part Two
The Manual said:
Uberion, to the south of Pheron, has always been a harsh district. Pheron's forests give way to Uberion's mountains, overlooking the western sea. Dwarves have moved south from Uberion to Marmaris, but Nature herself is still as dangerous a foe as the new-come minions of Darkness. Meanwhile, Marmaris, south of the mountains of Uberion, has become the home of the Western dwarves. The dwarves live in the village of Soldain, keeping the Hammer of Thorin safe for their return to the Uberian mountains. Another trade road leads east from Pheron through the northern lands of Phelang. While Phelang cannot be considered safe, its tundra is no more attractive to the minions of Darkness than to the children of Light (at least during the summer months). The eastern road eventually leds to the district of Kendar. The road then turns south toward the Gambode Pass, passing the picturesque village of Lymeric. You should make a point of visiting Lymeric, especially if you know of someone who lives in this quaint riverside village.

The southeastern half of the Deruvian continent also consists of seven regions. Beyond the Gambode pass is the great forest of Trilliad, the ancient home of the elven folk. Roads skirt Trilliad to the north and west, but no roads lead into its heart. Many roads into Trilliadhave been started, but they all have mysteriously turned back outward as they led forward, and have shown nothing but the original forest as they led backward. On the northern edge of Trilliad, on the Strait of Sugur, is Merg, the city built by Lord Merg II. East of Trilliad are the plains of Bihun, sheltered from the eastern sea by the Bedangidar Mountains. Millenia ago, on these plains, the armies of Light and Darkness came face to face. It was then that the arch-demon Dreax fled into the mountains and was captured and imprisoned by the great wizard Zirva. After thousands of years, the plains of Bihun have recovered their fertility, only to become once against the favorite landing point of the minions of Darkness from the East. South of Trilliad, surrounded by mountains, is the desert basin of Kherbel. The deep depression in the middle of the southeast continent, where mountains should be, puzzles the Deruvian scholars as much as the Blacrock Mountains, where the land should be at sea level or below. But the Kherbel basin interests only the scholars and some very dedicated monks; other Deruvians are content to stay as far away from its burning sands as they possibly can. The Kherbel district is not completely barren: on its west coast, across the mountains from the great desert, is the town of Sumrusa. The impenetrable marshes of Piyan lie south of Kherbel. Wedged between Kherbel and Piyan is the Hidden Vale, surrounded by rugged mountains with no knows passes. There, the fortress of Berbezza holds the Magic Candle that imprisons the archdemon Dreax in its flame. The other three provinces in Southeast Deruvia extend down the eastern coast. Proceeding southward from Bihun are the rocky peninsula of Fisestar, the forests of Yberton, and the crags of Udar. The famed Crystal Castle, one last stronghold of the Children of LIght in the East, is in Yberton; Udar contains little more than the isolated dwarvish village of Kharin.

Monty

Arcane
Starting to realise why someone might take a halfling along, just to do the diplomacy.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Yeah, I also thought Rexor would be charismatic enough to handle it...

And good C&C with the sanctuary there! :D

Monty

Arcane
Yes I had to laugh at the sanctuary going out of business.

Are there diminishing returns to improving learning? So for example, you're training Kodex who has the highest learning, so will he get less learning increase for the same cash than someone with low learning, or can you just keep increasing it?

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Yes I had to laugh at the sanctuary going out of business.

Are there diminishing returns to improving learning? So for example, you're training Kodex who has the highest learning, so will he get less learning increase for the same cash than someone with low learning, or can you just keep increasing it?
Nah, don't think so. The character's current learning doesn't seems to affect the effect of this particular training at all.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I think you did the same mistake as I did in regards to Dermagud. You either had to be in the same same square to find the entrance or else the entrance is in a mountain square. So judging from one of your screenshots you were one square away, just like I (IIRC) was.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I think you did the same mistake as I did in regards to Dermagud. You either had to be in the same same square to find the entrance or else the entrance is in a mountain square. So judging from one of your screenshots you were one square away, just like I (IIRC) was.
:rage:
You're right. I literally missed the entrance by one tile. Can't believe I never considered the possibility that the entrance would be in a mountain square.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Temple of Valon

u06001_zps1aacdfc5.png

Well. While Kodex is busy training, the other party members would go to Port Avur to stock up on supplies. But first, they'll rest until morning.

u06002_zps0ce1df5a.png

Meanwhile, Kodex finished a training session. Another one begins immediately afterwards.

u06003_zpsf91b3c41.png

Incidentally, here's a image of our party crossing the rift in Uberion. It's kinda cool, but I didn't take a screenshot the last time we came here.

u06004_zps90910c6d.png

Kodex finishs another training session.

u06005_zps7b45f77f.png

We're going to dungeon crawl soon, so I had Eflun learn the Walkwater spell during our rest.
WALKWATER congeals portions of underground pools and streams, allowing the caster and his party to walk on them. It is not effective on deeper and swifter bodies of water, such as oceans, lakes and rivers. The distance that can be covered during each walkwater spell depends on the magic skill of the caster. Several walkwater spells may be needed to cross a large pond, so it is important to plan ahead.

u06006_zpse6439def.png

The other party stocked up on foods and arrows, spending most of our remaining money.

u06007_zpseb8229f3.png

Now, I could have this party go to Soldain to pick up Kodex, then go to Dermagud together. However, a more efficient use of time would be letting them to rest here, and have Kodex come here himself. Speaking of Kodex, let's see if he's done with his training.

u06008_zpsc730c209.png

u06009_zps280e1b43.png

Kodex now has a learning score of 58. :incline:

u06010_zps7a2fd9a2.png

Kodex went north to join the other party. We're ready to go to Dermagud! But where is Dermagud located in, you may ask?

u06011_zpsf102b039.png

Well... Here. The lakeside of Lake Brelleht. The entrance was located near the only tile in Uberion that I haven't checked. :rage:

u06012_zpsc0b1fffc.png

The dungeon entrance was locked, and we have to chant the correct magic words to get in.

u06013_zpsbf38c742.png

Fortunately Bordal has told us the words to chant.

u06014_zpsa7afaee6.png

Let's go in!

u06015_zps9381ad37.png

And here comes Dermagud, our first dungeon! :yeah:

The sign says "ot trar drakka", which means "home belong to dwarves" in dwarvish. Dermagud is full of signs and document written in dwarvish, so it's a good thing we had leant dwarvish from Rabbonkar.

u06016_zpsfef8ac23.png

A river. I could've had Eflun cast a Walkwater spell to cross it, but I completely forgot the spell's existence until later. :oops:

u06017_zps71518ad0.png

"Zerbod" means "trap" in dwarvish. Apparently there's a trap in the corridor to the east! Of course, we should avoid it, but I wanted to show you how traps work, so I saved the game and headed east.

u06018_zps2d311f4e.png

It's a time trap! These don't directly damage your party, but advance the game time by one or two days. As there's a time limit in the game, that's pretty bad. Let's reload.

u06019_zps8663ea4d.png

"Inspect elden fountain". Well, we'll be sure to.

u06020_zpsb0fb8bcc.png

In fact, there's a fountain just to the west of the sign. Although we'll have to defeat those monsters first. Wait, what's that guy in grey robe?
JERRAHS: Jerrahs have but recently arrived in Deruvia, and little is known of them in the west. From reports, they are like zorlims--as a gorilla is like a monkey. Their magic spells apparently first paralyze their opponents, then destroy them with balls of fire. I would guess that the forces of Darkness plan for the jerrahs to replace our mayors and princes in the provinces of Deruvia.
Jerrahs are upgraded versions of zorlims, with more stamina and more dangrous spells.

u06021_zps7a7c5a2d.png

I briefly considered having the fighters charge the jerrah directly, but decided against it.

u06022_zps08e724cc.png

Ziyx cast a Shatter on the jerrah, but rolled a 2 for damage. :x

u06023_zps33a1a35c.png

Jerrahs, like zorlims, love to spam fireball spells. Good thing everybody is well-protected.

u06024_zpsb381845f.png

ZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIYYYYYYYYYYX:rage:

u06025_zpsaa25a3b2.png

Finally, a Shatter that did a decent amount of damage.

u06026_zps0838774a.png

Here's the jerrahs' unique gimmick: they can paralyze people! Ziyx, as you can see, is now paralyzed for 4 turns. This is pretty bad, as Ziyx is the only guy in our party who can reliably deal damage to the jerrah. Thankfully, jerrahs don't often use this spell.

u06027_zpsa87ddf42.png

Those wolvinga and orcs can't damage us through our heavy armor. :smug:

u06028_zpsb4d8b95b.png

A few turns later, Ziyx's paralyzation finally wore off. I wanted his Shatter to kill off the jerrah, but the spell barely just scratched him. :x

u06029_zps97df6e46.png

Finally. Took us long enough.

u06030_zps67f9d6f1.png

After the jerrah have being slain, the rest of monsters are easily handled. Although this wolvinga somehoe managed to dodge something like 100 attacks from our fighters.

u06031_zpse83b957c.png

But eventually, the party emerged victorious.

u06032_zps75ab782e.png

FFS those monsters are even poorer than us.

u06033_zps3f1ec5a0.png

:yeah: A magical fountain of strength!

u06034_zps6aab6310.png

Lolwut?

At first I thought Rexor didn't get anything because his strength is too high, but even Ziyx, who has a grand total of 4 strength, was not able to get any reward for drinking from the fountain. Either the fountain is useless, or we'll have to do something before it becomes functional.

u06035_zpsecae920f.png

Once a dungeon room has been cleared of monsters, the party would be able to rest inside. So I did exactly this, while having Eflun restoring everyone's shield.

u06036_zps07bcffa7.png

We're ready to go again.

u06037_zpsbf433e43.png

To the north is a strange room, which looks just like the teleportal house in Pheron. Not knowing what to do here, we left.

u06038_zps07eca101.png

To the east of the entrance was a room, inside which we found some monsters and a treasure chest. The green monsters are fermigons; the purple ones are bargs.
FERMIGONS: Monsters by any definition, fermigons were created by the forces of Darkness to guard treasures in their strongholds. Also, I think, as a cruel joke. You will recognize a fermigon when you see one--its mouth is bigger than its stomach, and than any other part of its body.
BARGS: Bargs smell better yet. They smell like clean, fresh mountain air in a thunderstorm. And their touch brings a lightning bolt. Neither armor nor magical shields will protect you from the touch of a barg.
Bargs can ignore armor? Uh, this doesn't sound good. Fortunately none of the monsters here have ranged attack.

u06039_zps51237ea4.png

I position our guys in the southwestern corner.

u06040_zps3f5d6cd3.png

Look, those fermigons are pretty tough. Even after Ziyx's spell it still has 55 stamina left.

u06041_zps62a2adbc.png

This might be a tough fight, so I had the fighters use a nift each to protect themselves.

u06042_zpsf4693bea.png

Meanwhile, Ziyx used a gonshi and started spamming Shatter.

u06043_zpsaf6d4f3d.png

u06044_zpsee0adc46.png

One down.

u06045_zps1ecd21a9.png

u06046_zps58fdb518.png

The bargs are not nearly as resilient as the fermigons. Ziyx quickly killed both of them with the help of a few gonshis.

u06047_zps7c62388c.png

And the battle is finished. I don't think the monsters managed to do any damage at all. :smug:

u06048_zpsd161a75c.png

How the fuck do bargs and fermigons even carry money, anyway?

u06049_zpsa3b620e3.png

The chest was locked.

u06050_zpsfa915895.png

Good thing I'd bought a few picks in Port Avur. :smug:

u06051_zps665abb4e.png

Treasures! :yeah:

Unfortunately, at this point I hit the wrong key, and the game crashed, forcing me to restart DOSBox. As I hadn't saved the game, this means I have to do the whole battle again.

:rage:

u06052_zpse47b6666.png

It actually went better this time, with the combined firepower of Alhan and Ziyx taking down a fermigon in the first round.

u06053_zps80fb5313.png

Note: the fermigon is (was) surrounded with creatures and corpses. If all four tiles adjacent to a creature is occupied, the creature would have nowhere to dodge, making any attack on it an automatic hit. If you can manage to surround a monster, killing it in melee would be much easier.

u06054_zps91867c4b.png

At this point, it finally occured to me that I can have Eflun cast Walkwater to cross the small stream we found before.

u06055_zps4ca5e6a2.png

Three casts of Walkwater was needed to cross this stream. Each cast allows 3 steps of movement; should Walkwater wear off when we're on water, we wouldn't fall in, but we wouldn't be able to move until another Walkwater has been cast.

u06056_zpsd0699881.png

u06057_zps752053a8.png

u06058_zpsf26a50ed.png

"Three step north, four step west, dig." :hmmm:

u06059_zps6d8b5e7e.png

:yeah: I'm so glad we've learnt dwarvish before coming here.

u06060_zps9e73884a.png

Oddly, when Rexor tried to walk into the tile in which the emeralds were discovered, he ended up inide a wall nearby. Walking east from here teleports him back again. Not sure if a bug.

u06061_zpsc07fbfca.png

A while later, we were ambushed by a bunch of bargs.

u06062_zps4b9517b4.png

Ambushes are extremely obnoxious, as you don't get to prepare before the combat, and monsters would receive a free turn.

u06063_zpsf981ec40.png

u06064_zpsb80efdb6.png

We had to burn a few consumables, but eventually we won.

u06065_zpsd7a0d5ad.png

Huh... A mysterious bowl. Denkar in Soldain was supposed to give us a clue about those, but with a bit of luck, we should be able to guess what to do ourselves.

You see, inspecting it dosen't really do anything, so obviously we have to use an item on it. According to the manual, pearls are "rumored to be useful in dungeons", so let's try it!

u06066_zps4461bdca.png

:smug:

Using a pearl on the bowl causes a map of the dungeon to appear. Seems like we've already explored half of the dungeon here.

u06067_zps41a5ebb0.png

Walking forward, mighty hunter Nazim detected an ambush!

u06068_zps543e44ce.png

Unfortunately, mighty hunter Nazim did jack shit to warn the rest of party about it. We don't get to prepare for the ambush even if it's detected, so I really don't know what's this for.

u06069_zps4b09be8d.png

Three fermigons are kinda nasty, but we should be able to deal with this.

u06070_zpsc8345b99.png

Mighty hunter Nazim got his ass handed to him by a fermigon. One hit from the fermigon dealed 20 points of damage, and that's after the damage reduction from his armor. These guys are no joke.

u06071_zps6f16ee3c.png

Of course, we still emerged victorious in the end.

u06072_zpsa4a6fa8c.png

Mighty hunter Nazim and Rexor had to use some potions to recover stamina.

u06073_zps6d3adbd0.png

Entering the room to the south, the party found themselves against more monsters. At least room fights let you draw weapons and position characters before the battle begins.

u06074_zpsb880de1d.png

Moar Shatter spamming.

u06075_zps48d122c0.png

One annoying thing about weaker monsters is, their attacks, even though they can't deal any damage with your armor, will cause you nift to wear off faster, making you vulnerable against stronger monsters.

u06076_zpsd0bd9f6b.png

Our bros suffered some unnecessary damage because I was too stingy with Shatters. :oops:

u06077_zps20b952b7.png

The chest turned out to be trapped! :eek:

u06078_zps03443a08.png

Rexor is now ill. Good thing we bought some medicins back in Port Avur.

u06079_zpsb82cbea5.png

Gemstones translate into money, and money is just what we need most now. :incline:

u06080_zps57438eb5.png

Rexor then used a medicin to cure himself.

u06081_zps72fa23de.png

Well well, another fountain. Maybe this one will work?

u06082_zps2202674c.png

:roll:

u06083_zpse0b8eff8.png

We're kind of running low on Shatters, so we rested in the room for a while so that Ziyx could learn some more.

u06084_zps5c054ad2.png

A stairs? I wonder where it leads to...

u06085_zpsd2606afd.png

We' ended up in the enclosed area of Uberion which we couldn't access before.

u06086_zps60ca56df.png

This area has very little of interest, basically, there's a monster group, and there's a special location. Let's deal with the former first.

u06087_zpseabd7f67.png

Uh-oh. Two death knights, and a cyclops? I wasn't expecting to run into those so soon.
CYCLOPS: His Grace, Lord Banas, insists that one cyclop is a cyclops, and that several cyclops are cyclopes, or cyclopides, or some such. I am sure that he is correct. But you and I know that one cyclop is a fearsome one-eyed giant, and several cyclops are a situation to be avoided at all costs. I mentioned monster that throw rocks the size of cattle; those monsters are the cyclops.
DEATH KNIGHTS: The so-called "death knights" are, of course, not knights. The forces of Darkness have no trace of honor or nobility, and can therefore not have the concept of knighthood. Death knights are no more than dead bodies, magically animated and equipped with a mockery of knightly gear. Their swords are endowed with a deadly magic, allowing them to inflict severe damage over any obstacle and against any opponent. I admit to a personal prejudice against the "death knights." I suppose that our priestly brethren would have a similar prejudice against zorlims and jerrahs because of their monkish garb.
Basically, cyclopes are upgraded domugs, and death knights are spellcasters who have an attack that ignores obstacles. They sounds pretty nasty.

u06088_zps2a706466.png

The plan: Ziyx will kill the cyclops ASAP, and the fighters will make a beeline for the death knights.

u06089_zpscc88a80a.png

Ziyx killed the cyclops in the first round with the help of a gonshi. :incline:

u06090_zpsd0a29936.png

Meanwhile, the fighters ate some gonshis and rushed to the death knights.

u06091_zps02b9a452.png

u06092_zps1afe6588.png

u06093_zpsbfb78ff0.png

I... had expected these guys to be a bit stronger. Not complaining, of course.

u06094_zps909e265d.png

Even the loot was pretty unimpressive.

u06095_zps078b2e63.png

u06096_zps0dbe3a44.png

Look, it's the temple of Valon there!

u06097_zps52e5e514.png

It took me a while to figure out how to enter the temple. Turned out you have to "knock" on the temple from one tile away, rather than inspecting or walking into the temple tile.

u06098_zpsc5c89477.png

Well, so that's why the monks told us to bring a lens to the temple.

u06099_zps1c483da4.png

u06100_zps9912dab2.png

There -- we now know the words to chant to awaken Valon! Unfortunately, we don't even know where Valon is.

u06101_zpsfe6257f0.png

Maybe we should chant the words at the gate of Dermagud?

u06102_zpsf6d1cbda.png

Nope, dosen't work. Well, guess we'll have to find Valon in the dungeon, then.

u06103_zps8eb19cd0.png

According to the map, we haven't explored the southern part of Dermagud yet.

u06104_zps831c0ab4.png

Nothing particularly noteworthy about this fight, other than the green\red thingy there.
HRAFFELS: Hraffels do not smell quite so bad as slimes, but hraffels are much more sharp. The hraffel's quills carry deadly diseases, and serve as arms, legs and piercing weapons. Keep your distance.

u06105_zps1cb97a23.png

u06106_zpsa5281422.png

u06107_zpsf47602c5.png

Ziyx took out the hraffel and the jerrah with Shatter, and the battle was easily won.

u06108_zps129a1ccb.png

I sure hope this chest isn't trapped.

u06109_zps9918f500.png

It wasn't, but it didn't exactly contain great treasure either. Sermins are pretty cheap. Still, lame loot is better than no loot.

u06110_zps9210a0f5.png

Some rooms, like this one, has multiple exits. We entered from north, but we'll leave from the southern exit. This is the only way to get to the southern parts of Dermagud.

u06111_zps220a5e59.png

A few steps ahead, and we were ambushed by slimes!
SLIMES: The sanguineous cephalopld, or "slime," is a thoroughly disgusting creature. It has filthy habits, it emits a terrible stench, and it carries hideous diseases on its pustular tentacles. Slimes live in moist, dark, filthy and disgusting places. The fit quite well into the armies of Darkness.
Slimes are actually pretty nasty, as their attacks ignore armor and can inflict disease. We'll have to kill them ASAP.

u06112_zps28310f06.png

u06113_zps31ac7f8b.png

We had to burn a few consumables, but fortunately none of the slimes managed to damage us.

u06114_zpsbc4e971d.png

Isn't it just weird that slimes and fermigons carry money, but zorlims and death knights don't?

u06115_zps64340281.png

"Snakes ahead". :hmmm:

u06116_zps8426fd27.png

Some of the chests are located in small corridors. As only one character is able to enter the corridor, I had to split the party.

u06117_zps76508be5.png

u06118_zps82f10b28.png

"Three cubes to Yberton"? Hmm. I wonder if this is related to the teleportals.

u06119_zps94bf0d52.png

Anyway, more monsters for us to beat on!
MINOTAURS: Minotaurs are at least as intelligent as trolls. However, I am forced to classify them as beasts, since they shun weapons and simply tear travelers to bits with their heads and hands. A minotaur's head resembles a bull's, with horns hardened and honed. Its body resembles...well, you have met Sir Rexor. Imagine a body half again as large and strong.
Note that there's also a zorlim here, although you can't see him in the screenshot.

u06120_zps316f6c34.png

Ziyx starts the battle by one-shoting the zorlim. :incline:

u06121_zps55995dcb.png

Minotaurs are resilient motherfuckers.

u06122_zps91f5b5ce.png

u06123_zps684a274f.png

After some lucky and unlucky rolls with Shatter, Ziyx managed to kill a minotaur and severely wounded the other.

u06124_zps47624974.png

Then Eflun died.

Yes, that happened as abruptly as I wrote it. Eflun's nift only had one use left, and the minotaur's high dexterity allowed it to attack twice in a round, hitting both times. The first hit was nullified by Eflun's nift, but the second hit did 34 damage. As Eflun had a grand total of 30 stamina, he immediately dropped dead.

The worst part about this is, Eflun is the only one in our party who is capable of casting the Resurrect spell. Since Resurrect is the only way (that I'm aware of) to revive someone who has died, Eflun is pretty much dead for good.

Let's pretend that never happened.

u06125_zps3b07fa94.png

u06126_zps33d2979b.png

u06127_zps0571a565.png

I started the battle again, and this time I had Ziyx bombard the crap out of the minotaurs.

u06128_zps35529c70.png

And the rest of monsters were easily dispatched.

u06129_zpsf5d3571c.png

Time to claim our hard-earned loot!

u06130_zps69d6990d.png

Oh I wonder what would this fountain do to us! :roll:

u06131_zpse762363a.png

Raise your hand if you saw this coming. Actually, no, raise you hand if you didn't.

u06132_zpsc580e500.png

The previous battles almost depleted Ziyx's magical reserve, so we were forced to rest for a day and half.

u06133_zpscf682ade.png

This room also has two exits. Let's check out the one to west.

u06134_zpsfbcc7c30.png

Another chest that is impossible to reach without dividing party.

u06135_zps221ff978.png

u06136_zpsbf82df13.png

"Two step south, four step west, six step south, dig." Another treasure message! Also, note that there's a typo; "gotrag" should be "gotra".

u06137_zps0af4b916.png

Shiny!

u06138_zps4a82b172.png

Ah, so this is what the previous sign was talking about.

Guardian snakes are obstacles (or traps, whatever) commonly found in dungeons. If a character is bitten by one of these, he'll become poisoned, and his stamina and energy will be reduced to 0. This is a very bad thing, but a spell in the book of Sabano can deal with these treacherous reptiles:
REPEL is the only way to resolve conflicts with the poisonous snakes that infest some dungeon corridors. Each Repel spell clears a path for one person to take one more step. You may need to cast several to clear a path for your entire part.
Basically, the Repel spell clears one tile of the snakes in it. Unfortunately, Ziyx only has three copies of Repel in his memory, and we need six to clear the corridor. So we had to retreat to the previous room to rest.

u06139_zpsd938c1aa.png

We have finally made it through the snakes! This is the last room in Dermagud that we haven't checked. I wonder what lies inside.

u06140_zps4a04f2d6.png

Whoa, this room looks pretty similiar to the temple we visited before! And the white thing there must be...

u06141_zpsc7f2df72.png

u06142_zps71f3b4be.png

It's Valon! Time to chant the words to awaken him.

u06143_zpsb35dc304.png

It worked! :yeah:

u06144_zps202c407f.png

u06145_zps09db5ec0.png

u06146_zps2643185a.png

u06147_zps15924ebe.png

u06148_zps5fa1a15c.png

u06149_zps27121aa8.png

Valon boosted the stats of everyone in the party. Very nice, especially since these attributes can't be boosted with training.

He then went back to sleep. Apparently this is all that gods do, sleeping and boosting the attributes of random adventurers who awakens them. But who gives shit, we have gained POWER! :yeah:

u06150_zpsa05a1edd.png

Valon only boosted the maximum value of each attribute, though, and what really matters is the current attribute. Of course, current stamina can be boosted to the maximum just by sleeping, but how about the other three attributes?

I have an idea. Let's check out the fountains again.

u06151_zpsd077e8c8.png

Aha! Just like I had expected, the fountains boosted the respective current attibute value to the maximum value possible.

u06152_zps01156b4a.png

Incidentally, there's also a portal in the dungeon, which teleports us back to near the entrance.

u06153_zps2f2f85bd.png

u06154_zps0b650755.png

Anyway, everybody drank from the fountains.

u06155_zpsdcbbe424.png

:incline:

u06156_zps1b8e176b.png

So ends our first dungeon crawl. What shall we do next? I think we'll head back to Port Avur, sell the gems we found in Dermagud, then take a trip to Keof and then Bondell. See you next time!

Bonus content: Deruvian Geography, Part Three
The Manual said:
Northeast of the double continent of Deruvia is the large island known as Upper Deruvia. Civilization in Upper Deruvia is limited to the port town of Knessos, which manages to exist by shipping timber and ore to the settled areas on the Deruvian mainland. (There are also legends of a small community of wizards--a village called Shiran--somewhere in western Upper Deruvia.) Upper Deruvia is divided into six regions. Down the east coast are Fiztraz, a mountainous area with Knessos at its southern border; Seldarad, a large forest that may not have been completely abandoned by elves; and Khiriss, a cold and wind-swept marsh. Down the west coast are Dakland, another mountainous area noted for its glaciers; Darvale, where Shiran probably is, if it actuallyexists; and the Rosus peninsula, surrounded by Kraken Bay, the Bay of Meric, and the Strait of Sungur. Beyond Upper Deruvia--sometimes visible from Knessos--is a rockbound island that is called by some "The Forbidden Isle" and by others "Wizard's Isle." Still others (those who know best) refuse to mention it at all. This island has no known inhabitants other than the creatures of Darkness that are rumored to dwell in Thakass Keep, a large stone tower in the very center of the island.

King Rebnard rules also over several islands to the southwest of Deruvia, although his rule has little effect on the southernmost isles. Shendy, the westernmost of the island, is also the least bothered by the forces of Darkness. Its port town, Keof, is a trade center for shipments sailing to and from western Deruvia. Fubernel is the largest of the island, and formerly rivaled Shendy as a trade center. However, Darkness has made severe inroads into the safety of Fubernel, and ships' captains have become reluctant to sail into the Fubernian port of Delkona. The plight of Fubernel distresses the Children of Light, because Fubernel is the home of the halflings. If their village of Bondell were to fall to Darkness, grief would flood all the Deruvias. Several other islands are located near the Deruvian coast. Kuskunn is a desert island between Shendy and Fubernel. It has no fresh water, and therefore no inhabitants. Heavenly lies just south of Kuskunn, and is a complete contrast. It is so fertile that it is completely covered by the heavy forest. Sailors pass Heavenly by, and believe that its huge fir trees are the home of races of Faery. South of Sumruna is the island of Vo. Vo has no ports of call, but sailors are grateful for its shelter from the westerlies as they make the southern passage from Sumruna to Merg and Knessos. The western winds and ocean currents have had harsh effects on the southernmost Deruvian islands. The Isles of Ice are high mountains thrust up from the depths of the ocean, covered by frost, ice fields and glacieers. Minions of Darkness are reported to live on the ice, and rumored to live beneath it. The Isle of Giants, to the east, receives shelter from the Isles of Ice: rather than ice fields and glaciers, it consists mostly of tidal marshes. In the center of the Isle of Giants is a ring of high mountain peaks surrounding a rain-fed lake known as The Dark. And, in the middle of The Dark is a huge spire known as the Tower of Shadrum or the tower of Ogres. It cannot be considered a tourist attraction.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Personally I prefered to use the Fear spell against enemy spell casters.

Going to Bondel is probably the wisest move, in order to increase that vital Charisma.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I'll probably finish writing the next update tomorrow, and I hope we'll have reached a new page when I do...

Monty

Arcane
Who do I have to fuck to get a new page around here?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom