Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's kill goblins and eat plump helmets in Bloodstone: An Epic Dwarven Tale

Who shall accompany Urist in his quest to retrive the bloodstone axe Khamalkhad?

• Poral

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tara

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Entor

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Halan

• Ranak

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Maka

• Kenit

• Endel

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
In 1989, Mindcraft released the (somewhat) famous Ultima clone The Magic Candle. Later, they went on to make two direct sequels to the game, as well as several spinoffs.

Bloodstone is one of the spinoff games in the MC series and one of the last Mindcraft games. It's a CRPG using the same engine as MC3 and is supposed to be a prequel to MC1, story-wise. Despite it being quite an obscure game, Codexians who have played Bloodstone generally seemed to like it. V_K in particular is a big fanboy of this game.

The game also features a fuckton of dwarves. Therefore, I shall do my best to shoehorn in as many Dwarf Fortress references as I conceivably can.
The Manual said:
INTRODUCTION
Rohrkhad Dwar-Father sat in the Throne of Stars and cast his Second Eye upon the land. Although viewing his children always disappointed him, he could not help himself from looking upon the dwarves who, once peaceful, had now split into warring tribes.

He bent the Eye upon chief Rakan of the Morin tribe and saw through Rakan's eyes. Rakan was in his longhouse in the stead Kafari, studying a leather map showing the boundaries of the Morin and Tamar tribes. But now Rakan's loremaster placed colored clay to indicate the positions of a new threat - bands of Taldor raiders to the west. Rohrkhad could feel Rakan's fear; the Morin were dwarves and could be counted on to adhere to the Codes of Battle, but the Taldor were unpredictable creatures.

The god then looked upon the stone city Haraza, capitol of the Tamar, where the dark-skinned chief Torongo was shouting at advisors. "I do not want to hear of Taldor raids! We can defeat Morin and Taldor! Find word of the treasures of the gods!" And the advisors scurried away, quarreling about how they could find word of treasures that had been lost for generations.

Rohrkhad sighed a sigh born from centuries of despair. Since the other gods drove him from his castle and stole his sigil, he had watched his children turn bitter, and now he had all but given up on mortal affairs. He longed for the mile-high steel walls of his Castle Entemar. He longed for his sigil, Khamalkhad, the axe forged from bloodstone before the dwarves were born, now hidden deep in the ice caverns beneath Entemar. And the covenants prevented Rohrkhad from returning to his castle except in the form of impotent fire.
But Rohrkhad had one last hope to save the dwarves from themselves and from the cruelty of the other gods. He had been watching a young warrior who lived in the caves beneath Asarene - a young warrior who was skilled with axe, crossbow, and magic. A young soldier who could one day penetrate Castle Entemar, retrieve Khamalkhad, and use it as a symbol to unite the warring dwarven tribes. Rohrkhad sang to the threads of Time, and tied the youth to that destiny with divine chains.

The young warrior of the Asarene caverns was about to grow up.

This is once again a blind LP, so no spoilers please. I also urges you to read my majestic, Invictus-approved LP of MC1 here, if you haven't already.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Party Creating - this post
Escape
Two Cities
Jump the Skyshark
Arcophobia
Going Academic

u00001_zpsku6xrw45.png

Wasn't Crooked Bee supposed to have interviewed the creator of MC series in 2013? I could never found the interview in Codex news.

u00002_zpsh3umlox9.png

Ooh, a red axe. I wonder if that's the bloodstone axe mentioned in the introduction?

u00003_zpssxas5pb6.png

Let's start a new game, then.

u00004_zpsbp5glcvw.png

The Manual said:
There are two possible hero profiles, one male and one female, each with the same attributes, skills and possessions. ("Heroine" is probably a sexist word, so we don't use it.)
:nocountryforshitposters:

Uhm, in any case, we have to create a hero before we could start this adventure proper. The male hero's default name is Danat, and the heroine female hero's default name is Danta. We could, of course, rename our hero.

u00005_zps1dludpny.png

Glad to see that this time, we're allowed to input a name with more than 5 letters. But it doesn't matter, for I intended to give the hero a 5-characters name anyway.

u00006_zpsfinu7cat.png

u00007_zpsxhi2rxvt.png

u00008_zpsw91b6tnc.png

I think the word Taldor is just Bloodstone's way of saying "goblins".

u00009_zpsvfkcjlgj.png

u00010_zpstjitcipm.png

u00011_zpsbsnevqas.png

Spell totems in Bloodstone are basically the spellbooks in other MC games. Also note that you'd still see two bearded dwarves even if the protagonist was a girl.

u00012_zps18mqqu89.png

u00013_zpsiu1pclcg.png

u00014_zpsn7lqf1ts.png

With the introduction sequence over, we're now required to select three companions from eight volunteers to from a party of 4. (Don't worry, the maximum party size is still 6 - but the last two vacancies will have to be filled later.)

The Manual said:
Poral is a young dwarf eager to leave his (axe) mark on the world. Tara is an amazon skilled in weapons and woodcraft. Entor is studying to be a dwarven shaman.
Halan the ranger knows the sword and crossbow, as well as being adept in magic. Ranak wishes to find new lands and new magic spells, while Maka is in search of new beasts to slay.
Kenit is a mighty female tlengle warrior. Endel would like to return to the woodlands whence she came.
Now, I should probably explain how party creation work in this game. Each volunteer starts with pre-determined attributes, skills and equipment, but we could make also make some modifications to their attributes and skills. (Isn't it strange that you get to customize your companions but not the protagonist? Usually it's the other way around.)

Anyway, let's take a look at one of the volunteers:

u00015_zpsdjn6vjyg.png

u00016_zpsawazjkim.png

For each character, we have 30 points to allocate to improve their attributes and skills. The maximum value for any attribute is 12; for skills it's 99. Improving an attribute by one costs 3 points; improving a skill costs 1. Skills can be improved through usage or in schools. It's probably possible to improve the attributes in the course of the game as well.
The Manual said:
Bravery determines when or if a character will flee during combat. If a party member flees, the party leader will not be able to issue commands to that member until the combat is ended or the member stops fleeing. The "Courage" spell will temporarily boost bravery and stop a fleeing character. Your hero has the maximum bravery and will not flee against your wishes. However, the hero can certainly flee along with the rest of the party in a strategic withdrawal.
The physical Strength of a character determines what weapons may be used as well as how much damage is done by successful attacks on the enemy.
Dexterity can allow a character to do more than one thing in one combat turn. With dexterity over six. three actions are sometimes possible.
Endurance determines a character's maximum Hit Points.
The higher the endurance. the more Hit Points.
Agility reflects the probability that a character will be able to dodge a physical attack.
A companion's Loyalty tells how likely he or she is to complete assignments given by the hero. Given time, a companion of low loyalty will feel bored and resentful at being assigned to work in a smithy or learn a shelf-full of spells, while others are off having exciting adventures. Enough boredom or resentment, and the companion will quit and go home. Even excitement is not a complete cure: if both bravery and loyalty are low. a companion may flee from combat and decide to just keep running.
Charm measures a character's ability to speak profitably with strangers. The more charming the character, the more likely strangers will be to share information.
Intelligence affects the amount of time needed to memorize a spell. Additionally, when training with a master or an instructor, the duration of the training session is influenced by the student's intelligence.
Resistance is the ability to withstand or lessen the effects of hostile magic attacks.

u00017_zpsz8ezwlhe.png

u00018_zpsa2phazq7.png

The Manual said:
Sword: The Sword skill determines how likely a character is to score a successful hit with a sword. The damage done when the sword hits depends on what sword the character carries. and how strong the character is. Wizards make lousy swordsmen; other races can attain excellent proficiency with swords .
Axe: Like the Sword skill, the Axe skill determines how likely a character is to damage an opponent. Dwarves are the premier axewielders, although other races can attain considerable skill.
Archery: Skill with the crossbow can allow a character to inflict damage on an opponent, even unto death, before the opponent can approach to use a sword or axe. A character of any race can become skilled in Archery, although wizards find it hard. Amazons are the best archers. Where Archery is concerned, wizards are best used to carry supplies of bolts for the other party members.
Magic: Magic is inherent in the elemental forces of the world. Dwarves and Wizards are the best at tapping into this energy, although all of the races except Tlengle can potentially cast spells. The greater the caster's Magic skill, the less personal energy is used in casting spells, and the greater the magic's effect.
Fist: By preference, a character will attack with a hard steel sword or axe. But, if the weapons are broken or lost. the only alternative is attacking bare-handed, using the Fist skill. It's a last resort, but the last resort might be the most important.
Swimming: When traveling through Tarq, you will find rivers and streams. In good weather, with sufficient Swimming skill and a sealskin suit. you will be able to cross them without having to find a bridge and to defeat any guardians it might have. Most characters can swim, some very well, but dwarves are heavier than water and have a difficult time of it.
Trading: The Trading skill allows your party members to get the highest prices for the things they sell, and the lowest prices for the things they buy.
Stealth: Hostile beasts and creatures roam parts of the Solian lands. With adequate stealth. your party may able to avoid their notice.
Researching: The loremasters of Tarq preserve a wealth of ancient information. Sufficient Researching skill will allow a party member to dig the information from stacks of old stone tablets.
Soulreading: Soulreading is a mysterious skill, but often an invaluable one. When your party encounters a group of enemies, an accomplished soulreader might be able to tell you whether they are inclined to run away or to eat you for dinner.
Lockpicking: One skilled in Lockpicking is more likely to open locked chests without breaking lockpicks and without setting off traps.
Tracking: The Tracking skill is common to those who have been raised in the forests of Tarq: humans and amazons. Its most important application is in noticing signs of an imminent ambush by evil beasts of the wild.
Musical: Characters with the Musical skill can entertain their companions with their singing and their virtuosity on various musical instruments. The instruments are described in the chapter on "Items."
Carpenter: The first of the craft skills is that of the Carpenter. There are two advantages to having a Carpenter in your party. One is that, out in the wilds, Carpenters can build shelters that let the party rest more comfortably and regain more energy while they sleep. The other, as with the other crafts, is that a Carpenter can be assigned to work as a journeyman with master carpenters in towns and villages to earn coins for the party's use.
Metalsmith: The next craft skill is that of the Metalsmith. Like carpenters, skilled Metalsmiths can earn a good wage in friendly towns and villages. And, while adventuring, they fix the party's weapons and armor much more quickly than novices might.
Gemcutter: Gemcutters can also earn many coins for the party: not only by working at the Gemcutters' trade, but also by adding their Gemcutter's skill to their Trading skill when selling precious stones that the party has unearthed in its explorations .
Tailor: The final craft skill is that of the Tailor. Tailors can, of course, provide the party with income. But the best Tailors can also ensure that the party makes a good impression-much like a permanent Glamour spell.
Leadership: Before a battle, a party member skilled in Leadership can rally the troops to a higher level of courage and combat skill. During the battle itself, if a member skilled in Leadership heads the troops, they will fight more effectively.
More specifically, the musical instruments can be played for some beneficial effects like boosting the morale of the party or terrifying the enemies. Soulreading supposedly gives hints as to whether you should talk to a group of monsters.

Anyway, Poral is a pretty typical fighter dwarf, skilled with axe and lockpicking. Unfortunately he can't learn spells.

u00019_zpsnctn1czr.png

u00020_zps2eyvksg5.png

u00021_zpsjx3gjq6z.png

u00022_zpsayskajsl.png

Tara starts out somewhat skilled in all weapons, but she too can't learn magic.

u00023_zps3jpcvvys.png

u00024_zpstmhfeytp.png

u00025_zpszrgd93fl.png

u00026_zpsc17suv3r.png

Entor is a dwarf skilled in magic and soulreading, in addition to being an adquete fighter. He starts out with five spell totems, giving him quite a lot of different spells at his disposal. No he doesn't, the only one who starts out with spell totems is the hero. (There's a total of 7 different spell totems in this game.)

u00027_zps6cwxaq35.png

u00028_zpszwu54ece.png

u00029_zpscxdmuxqj.png

u00030_zpsujdet3wm.png

Halan the only human volunteer has the potential to be a pretty good spellsword. He starts with 4 spell totems. No he doesn't.

u00031_zpsqxbzu0rn.png

u00032_zpskqodcrhh.png

u00033_zpsqmg6qzwh.png

u00034_zpsp1xfsjak.png

Ranak is another fine dwarven spellcaster. He has only 2 totems though. Actually he has none.

u00035_zpsmbzoyuvi.png

u00036_zpsqxgui3ma.png

u00037_zps7coo7t34.png

u00038_zpsbfwxcdc5.png

Maka is mostly the same as Poral, with a few differences in initial skills and equipments. She can't learn to cast spells.

u00039_zpsvzd2emvk.png

u00040_zps0n9b5pai.png

u00041_zpsuszbby5o.png

u00042_zps12ttcwxl.png

Kenit is a tlengle (some weird scaly race) with some pretty good combat and survival skills. No tlengles can use magic.

u00043_zpsbwa2az4r.png

u00044_zpsodm52gnl.png

u00045_zpszluxqjqg.png

u00046_zpsv01cj6ac.png

Finally, Endel is an amazon with some experience in almost every skill. She starts out with two spell totems.

u00047_zpsd3l0lbgl.png

u00048_zpssqbaelku.png

u00049_zpsv5v089mt.png

Here's the hero's character sheet for reference. You'll notice that he is better than the volunteers in just about every area.

Now, Codexians, this is where your input will be needed. Vote now to decide which volunteers to take with us and which ones to leave in this fortress bunker cave for dead! Also, if you have any thoughts about how we should build a particular character, feel free to voice your opinion.

Last edited:

profreshinal

Arcane
Only females are allowed in the harem so Tara Maka and Endel. Kenit is excluded, the only way to identify a lizard's sex is by groping and you don't want to accidentally have a dick in your hands.

lightbane

Arcane
Take an all-female party (including the lizard thing) for the lulz.

Morkar Left

Good to hear!

For some reason I never really played the game besides being a fan of Magic Candle and owning Bloodstone since, well, over 15 years (some budget version). I think I couldn't get it to run back in the day took an offtime for computers and then there was BG and a shit load of other great rpgs.

I recently started MC1 again. What a beast. It's quite stunning how little I would change at the gameplay formula if I would have to do a remake. Besides better graphics (but still 2D/Iso pixels) main changes would just be loot and equipment plus fully written dialog and lore in the game. And if there would still be some time left I would introduce some special abilities for combat.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
According to the poll, Tara and Endel are in. There's a 4-way tie among Entor, Halan, Maka and Kenit, so I had to roll a die to determine which one to take as the 4th party member. I rolled a 2 - Halan it is.

Escape

u01001_zpse3nspj3v.png

Now, let's allocate the points. I'll be spending most of the character points on attributes, because I think attributes will be harder to improve than skills. Tara got 1 extra point of strength, 3 of dexterity, 1 of endurance, 1 of loyalty and 1 to resistance.

u01002_zpsljch3g7t.png

The rest of points were distributed among the Musical and Soulreading skills.

u01003_zpsojqf8y9b.png

By the way, you can actually change name of the volunteers as well, though I didn't bother doing so.

u01004_zpsey9ywiup.png

Next up is Halan. He got 3 points to dexterity, 1 to loyalty and 3 to intelligence.

u01005_zpsqx9brjmt.png

As for skills, he got some points to Magic and Researching.

u01006_zpsl1f8q6rn.png

u01007_zps70yjwtoz.png

Endel. 2 points to dexterity, 2 points to loyalty, 1 to intelligence and 1 to resistance. Rest of points went to Magic and Tracking.

u01008_zpsbzyik3wb.png

And the game begins!

Urist and his companions emerged from a tunnel into some cavern. As you could see in the screenshot, the graphics of this game is rather unimpressive, especially considering that it came out one year after Ultima VI. Then again, Mindcraft isn't Origin.

u01009_zpstekrljaz.png

Anyway, now that the game has started, let's take a look at our party members' inventories:

u01010_zpsncuizr9r.png

Urist starts with a bunch of useful gears. Among others, he has the magical battleaxe Aroten gifted to him by his father, a map, and the spell totem Gimlai. I was wrong when I said some of the volunteers start with spell totems. The only one who owns a spell totem at the beginning is Urist - other characters have memorized spells from various spell totems, but they don't actually have any totem on them. So we have quite a wide selection of spells available to us, but we'll have trouble replenishing our spell reserve once a spell has been cast.

u01011_zpszhag8stx.png

u01012_zpsr1bwvky7.png

u01013_zpsj93dwvdo.png

u01014_zpsotdt2una.png

Our companions have some nice stuff with them as well.

u01015_zpsste50url.png

Let's look around this cavern for a bit. Like any good fortress, this place has some lava flowing around.

u01016_zps7p4rhplf.png

u01017_zpsjwsas1v7.png

We're going to enter combat soon, so I had our guys recall spells (a spell must be recalled before it could be cast) and draw their weapons.

u01018_zpspxmfvcza.png

u01019_zpsroderumr.png

The map is actually a usable item. When used in a dungeon or a city, a map of the area would appear on the screen. It doesn't work in some areas though. Anyway, the only way out from this cave is to the west.

u01020_zpsrohqyfkt.png

But as we approached the exit, we were suddenly ambushed by a group of taldors!

u01021_zps09glkujc.png

u01022_zpsjadf7ngq.png

Welcome to our first battle. Normally the PCs would move first in combat, but this time we're ambushed so the taldors are getting a free turn. The combat system is largely similiar to the one in MC1, with some notable changes. The biggest change is that characters can now move and attack diagonally. Pictured: Halan killing a taldor in three blows with his shortsword.

u01023_zpscmw1blcm.png

u01024_zps8y9w0aep.png

Aroten is much more powerful than ordinary weapons, and Urist easily killed two taldors in his turn.

u01025_zpssvcy09f7.png

The amazons then fired at the taldors with their bows. Now, archery is one of the things that has been changed drastically from MC1. You can't fire at anyone adjacent to you (i.e. in melee range) but you can now fire at anyone on screen, you can fire through obstacles, and there's no risk of friendly fire.
:hmmm:
To be honest, archery in MC1 kinda needed a buff but this just feels like popamolization.

u01026_zpsdpggiqw7.png

Anyway, Tara and Endel killed another taldor with a volley of arrows. Now it's the taldors' turn again.

u01027_zps246asryh.png

Previously, the taldors were completely unable to damage us because all PCs were protected by nifts (a magical plant that nullifies the next three blows its user would receive). On this turn, however, a taldor managed to hit Tara through her nift for the first time. The taldors can actually dish out a lot of damage quickly to someone who isn't protected by nifts. The taldor in this screenshot dealed 28 points of damage with his blow; Tara's armor absorbed 10 points, but she still took 18 points of damage. Another two hits like that and she's a goner. Fortunately it's now our turn again.

u01028_zpsl9jbfeph.png

The weapon skills improve with use. There's a game-breaking bug that causes the game to freeze whenever someone gets a skill increase, but after some tinkering with the sound configurations I eventually solved the problem.

Unfortunately, this turn didn't go very well for us. Urist missed all his attacks and in the end we were only able to kill one taldor.

u01029_zpsubjvw9bb.png

A taldor attacked Urist twice, bringing him down to 9 health. This should be a warning to us - the taldors can kill our guys easily if we aren't careful with manuevering them.

u01030_zps0scovjxb.png

u01031_zpso5jjhdkv.png

Urist finally killed the taldor adjacent to him, and his companions made short work of the two remaining taldors.

u01032_zpsbxbgvzea.png

:yeah:

u01033_zps2kr5oiph.png

Sure.

u01034_zpslasx4bsw.png

u01035_zpsgqbjtsvz.png

Rummaging through the dead taldors, we found exactly 30 coins, as well as a shortsword. Now that the taldors are dead, we're free to leave this cavern.

u01036_zpsna7n86nf.png

...Uhh. I expected the world to be a bit more... colorful?

u01037_zpsktxvsvgu.png

To the south of the starting cavern is a small camp.

u01038_zps6xn6pebw.png

The only notable feature here is this dwarf, so let's talk to him.

u01039_zpskc3ykd9l.png

Here's the dialogue menu. "Invite" is for recruiting NPCs into the party. "Assign" and "Dismiss" are only relevant for characters already in the party. Other commands are pretty self-explanatory.

u01040_zpsg32idy2k.png

u01041_zpsxum0eugb.png

u01042_zpszbwmpnnz.png

Bloodstone still uses the keyword conversation system, but - like Ultima VI - important keywords are now highlighted so you don't have to guess them. Another popamolization to the game system. :decline:

bluedwarf_zpscwaaoig5.png
"So, Mantar, what could you tell me about the taldors?"
browndwarf_zps30szvvy9.png
"The Taldor and other baneful creatures from the west are growing in strength. If the threat is not checked, all the Dwarves of Tarq shall suffer the same fate as your tribe."
"Fate?"
"Instead of uniting under one banner, the Dwarves have fractured into two main tribes, the Tamar to the north and the Morin to the south. In addition, smaller tribes live in the wastes of northern Tarq."
"Fractured?"
"The two clans are preoccupied with destroying each other. They are ignoring the fact that they face their own destruction from the monster hordes. You must do something to prevent this destruction."
"Do?"
"In ages past, the gods gave magnificent treasures to their children. It is written that he who possessed the treasures held great sway over his subjects. I can not tell you the locations of these treasures, but rumors abound throughout the land."
"Sway?"
"If you find these treasures, Urist, you must make a decision concerning which chieftan to give them to. The chieftain that ultimately holds the most treasures will become the most powerful dwarf on Tarq. If the treasures are yours to give, the fate of the land is in your hands."

Oh, so this is one of those "unite your people against the threat!" plots. Sounds simple enough.

u01043_zpslzfqzuvs.png

We could also ask questions in the traditional text parser way...

u01044_zpsykvx0hoa.png

u01045_zps5b0vjacp.png

...But apparently the NPCs will not respond to any subject other than the ones already highlighted. Oh well.

u01046_zpspbidv7cy.png

We also attempted to invite Mantar to join us, but he simply rejected our offer.

u01047_zpsz0bb6bfn.png

By the way, in Bloodstone we can also talk to our companions.

u01048_zpsefwvdf13.png

This was actually possible in MC1 as well, but there the companions will just say "You know everything I do!". In Bloodstone, companions actually give you valuable information.

u01049_zpsvawhwb5k.png

u01050_zpsfopbajyx.png

:takenotes:

u01051_zps9bqwdock.png

u01052_zps7ntzs0ta.png

u01053_zpsd28cewsn.png

Uhh. Seems like Halan gets along with the amazons well!

u01054_zps15h35jod.png

u01055_zpswutybptf.png

What? Are you implying that we are WEAK?! :x

u01056_zpsskcxlait.png

I hate this new text parser already.

u01057_zpsjz4fccdr.png

Well, let's try memorizing some spells. Currently, Urist is the only one with a spell totem. He shall memorize the Lightning spell.
LIGHTNING sends an electrical ball from the caster to the target, damaging all, including other party members, in its path.
Sound useful.

u01058_zpstzqzlx0j.png

Urist also drank a potion to heal, as he was quite severely wounded in the previous battle.

u01059_zpsc4wyia8m.png

Here, under the Magic menu, we can see that it will take Urist 2 "ticks" (each tick is 5 minutes) to memorize a single copy of Lightning, and casting it would cost him 10 points of energy.

u01060_zpsr6fi4tj6.png

Because other party members don't have any spell totems, they'll be repairing weapons and armor.

u01061_zpsucnulbum.png

Two hours later, Urist has already memorized eight copies of Lightning and others have repaired all weapons and armor to brand new state. Time to get moving, then.

u01062_zpsot2hqcdk.png

From here we can either go north to the Tamar lands or south to the Morin lands. I decided to go north first, though I'm sure we'll have to visit both tribes eventually.

u01063_zpsgadmkwc6.png

Heading north, the party emerged from the mountains into fertile grasslands. There's a bridge, but apparently roads dosen't exist yet. I guess it's because Bloodstone is set in a more primal time than the MC series.

u01064_zpsnwqtopjo.png

u01065_zpszyp6ofly.png

It wasn't long before we spotted the town of Haraza to the north.

u01066_zpsgmzv6ied.png

Apparently cities are no longer closed after sunset in Bloodstone. Well, that was one mechanic that I don't really miss from MC1.

u01067_zps6hvfbdlw.png

Using the map here would cause a minimap of the town. However, as this town is fairly large, only the northwestern quarter of the town is shown here.

u01068_zpsnjdti0ti.png

Let's try entering a building.

u01069_zpsnfkrtzzr.png

Nobody is in the shop. Unsurprising, considering that it's so late in the night, but shouldn't the shopkeeper have locked the doors before going to sleep? My immurshun is broken.

u01070_zpscb6wdzet.png

u01071_zpsdrrkylw5.png

Another empty shop.

u01072_zpsgxb5sspe.png

Tomatoes grow in the farm here. Unfortunately there's no potatoes.

u01073_zpsbc8yv8ti.png

When moving around obstacles, companions may sometimes become stuck by a wall or something like that. Fortunately this is easily fixed by using the "Formation" command.

u01074_zpsasuoik5g.png

u01075_zpswl83ckeo.png

Wow, this blacksmith has quite some work ethic.

u01076_zpsrvfwhvra.png

u01077_zps4g4mcgkt.png

u01078_zpsyjpe8xt2.png

Blacksmiths aren't shops. You don't buy things here; you work here to earn money. We've got more important things to do at the moment, though.

u01079_zps7yxy1tni.png

Huh, unusual to see a man wandering outside at this hour.

u01080_zpsbdf0j6yq.png

Let's try talking to him.

u01081_zpst9dvkjga.png

Odd. We don't get to ask him about advice, but we could inquire about news, weather and people. Let's ask about news first.

u01082_zps0wmiytmt.png

u01083_zps9bqtm51s.png

Gotta find one of those sacred groves, then.

u01084_zpsvnlyzcrq.png

u01085_zpspf1ynecd.png

Other news we heard from this man:
I once saw a dwarf charge into battle with his axe and get peppered with bolts from Dimelf crossbows. Be careful of them; they are good shots.

The Taldor come from Tower Pradaqa which lies to the northwest.

Curse those Taldor swine! They ravage the land and threaten our children!

I tell you this, travaller, and heed me well. The lands to the west are TREACHEROUS! Powerful and hideous creatures inhabit those lands. Go there only if you feel brave... or lucky!

Someday we will end this warring between clans!

Asarene is relatively free of Taldor, thanks to the raiding between clan Morin and ourselves.

u01086_zpskimscf87.png

We could also chat with him about the weather. According to the manual, weather affects the party's ability to swim across rivers and oceans.

u01087_zpscyzzvdma.png

We should inquire about this chieftain Torongo person.

u01088_zpsbvvgaco3.png

Ok. We'll pay him a visit sometime.

u01089_zpsljcgikzy.png

Unsurprisingly, this man won't join our party.

u01090_zpsttgbf9zh.png

Oh, an inn.

u01091_zpsb0ft68l4.png

u01092_zpsfnkw5lfc.png

u01093_zpsyoqigx9j.png

u01094_zpslpz06gx0.png

We paid the innkeeper for a single night's stay.

u01095_zpsdowmz26m.png

Urist will learn some Acidball spells, while others will sleep for lack of other things to do.
ACIDBALL hurls a ball of fuming acid at its target. The damage done depends as much on the resistance of the target as on the skill of the caster.

u01096_zpsxxui8c7p.png

A few hours later, Urist has learnt several copies of Acidball, so I had him learn another spell: Sense.
SENSE detects ambushes before they happen. The caster will become aware of the general direction of the nearest ambush waiting within the spell's range. (The range depends on the caster's magic skill.) If you decide to proceed into the area of the sensed ambush, the enemies will lose their advantage of surprise.

u01097_zps25dzezia.png

Later still, Urist started learing Imbecile instead.
IMBECILE causes its target, which should be a spell-caster, to temporarily lose all spellcasting ability. The number of rounds the spell remains in effect depends on both the magic ability of the caster and the resistance of the target.
If enemy spellcasters are still as dangrous in this game as they were in MC1, then this spell should prove quite useful later.

u01098_zpsdvpo4pzy.png

12:00 is the checkout time. Since we only paid for one night, it's time to leave.

u01099_zpsvsatr0av.png

Not really related to our quest, but now that I think about it, this mask looks strangely prosperous.

u01100_zpsaggbz50e.png

u01101_zpsqkwo4ouc.png

We asked this man about news, but he didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

u01102_zpsa0gqbxq8.png

We're now in the SW part of the town.

u01103_zpsi6g8b1ua.png

So this is the weapon shop?

u01104_zpslixxensd.png

Before checking the shop's merchandise, let's chat a bit with the shopkeeper first.

u01105_zpskil6oinz.png

"Trimmick?"
"Trimmicks are large, bipedal tree beasts. They seem peaceful, but they'll crush you with their mighty branches."
"Morin?"
"That foul tribe of miscreants would just as soon have your heads on poles as help you in your quest, Urist."

We'll see about that.

u01106_zpsusuhtwse.png

u01107_zpsfckqthvu.png

T'kalo sells a wide selection of weapons. Oddly, he also sells bolts but not crossbows to fire them with.

u01108_zpsmcanuwqp.png

We could also sell our weapons to T'kalo. We'll put off trading until later though.

u01109_zps2th722bz.png

I doubt we'll learn anything of worth, but let's talk to this kid anyway.

u01110_zpsh3ojb8yc.png

u01111_zpss8zjzfvx.png

Um, sure. Who's Bucky anyway?

u01112_zpsgqkglshc.png

:hmmm:

u01113_zps2eahdhfr.png

So it rains a lot in the north.

u01114_zpsymfdvy2c.png

This is the armor shop.

u01115_zps7yadpahm.png

"Advice?"
"Didn't your mother always tell you to wear your hat before going out?"
"Hat?"
"My hats are the finest of helms: bronze, iron and even steel. Perfect for those cold and dangerous mornings."

u01116_zps0s6wzg9n.png

Anyway, this guy sells a bunch of armor and helmets. We don't but anything yet.

u01117_zpso6xrya3d.png

u01118_zpsznq4sqm7.png

Later, we met a woman who related some more news to us.
Beware the Tlatol! They are savage lizards!

I'm tired of the fighting between us and the Morin. I wish someone would put an end to it!

If it's information you seek, the loremaster possesses a bounty of knowledge. He even knows about 'teleportals'.
So where's this loremaster?

u01119_zpsfglxahnh.png

:takenotes:

u01120_zps2jvb9qyy.png

The loremaster's home is just nearby, actually.

u01121_zps6lacv8wp.png

Uhh, what? So the "loremaster" is actually a library?

u01122_zps5aa0txog.png

Well, whatever. We're all familiar with this concept - it was present in MC1 after all. Let's research about teleportals.

u01123_zpswscz6pni.png

Researching a subject cost time. In this case it cost one and half an hour.

u01124_zpsra5syz0q.png

u01125_zpshso4qxyc.png

u01126_zpslgysly4f.png

Good. This knowledge will come in handy later.

u01127_zpsdx1pvkvn.png

Hmm. A pyramid in the southwestern corner of the town... I wonder if this is Torongo's home?

u01128_zps0sxmqnpq.png

Nope, it's a different dwarf.

"Advice?"
whitedwarf_zpswffmkbln.png
"If you wish to appease our chief, great Torongo, finding the treasures of the gods will go a long way towards that end."
"Treasures?"
"Myths say that when Rohrkhad created the dwarves, there was great rejoicing in the heavens. Rohrkhad loved his children very much, so much that when the first one died, he cried tears of liquid alabaster which rained down from the heavens."
"Alabaster?"
" Most ran into the oceans surrounding Tarq, forming beautiful beds of pearls. But some were caught by the craftsman, Amarant, who formed an elaborately wrought death mask. He offered his work to Rohrkhad, who was greatly pleased."
"Pearls?"
"The finest quality pearls and pieces of alabaster can be dropped into map flasks, forming a magic map of otherwise uncharted areas."
"What's this death mask?"
"The Death Mask has unfortunately been lost to dwarven civilization, so our scholars believe. It is unfortunate that we war with the Morin, for I believe one of their loremasters has information about the mask. Try researching 'death' when you get there."

:incline: More useful informations.

u01129_zpsgyl5udip.png

There're four obelisks in a walled area of the town. They probably don't serve any particular purpose.

u01130_zpsqdxhwyp4.png

u01131_zpsn3htfgys.png

The gemcutter's shop is another place in which we can work to earn money.

u01132_zpsu4u1i7tf.png

We can also buy and sell gems here.

u01133_zps3zzpijaz.png

u01134_zpscmvimufa.png

:roll:

u01135_zpsa8s3nbus.png

AFAIK, the only useful gems here are the pearls and alabasters.

u01136_zpst9p3hbhv.png

There's also a school here.

u01137_zpspvme7cfl.png

Our party members could study here to improve their sword skills. We probably have better things to spend money on, though.

u01138_zps2qkrnswf.png

I guess this is the tavern?

u01139_zpssjzlv51m.png

Sure it is.

"Ale?"
"At Pints 'o Plenty, we brew our own house lager, or I can offer you a variety of local Kalasedian ales."
"Advice?"
"Watch out for innocent looking doglike creatures in surrounding countryside."
"Creatures?"
"They are called Pennari, the cruel attack pets of the Taldor. One howl from their evil jaws will freeze you in your tracks!"

u01140_zps9lo1ggta.png

We can't actually buy any ale from the bartender. What the hell. :decline:

u01141_zpsjts2pmqc.png

Let's talk with a patrons.

u01142_zpsl32fwwi5.png

u01143_zpslm2ubysn.png

u01144_zpsufoq5mrv.png

butthurt detected

u01145_zpsyqjfygai.png

u01146_zpsbpoxsihd.png

u01147_zpsiverz2no.png

Hmph, another unhelpful peasant. Oh well, maybe we can meet more helpful people here at a later time.

u01148_zpsikl1dotj.png

Also, the supply shop is open now.

"Advice?"
"In case you hadn't noticed, mountains abound on our continent of Tarq. Be sure to equip your party with sturdy ropes, Urist."
"Ropes?"
"If each person in your party has a good length of rope, those mountains should present no problem."

u01149_zpskob2a8x3.png

Maluan sells some useful provisions. Shovels are needed to dig up buried treasure. Picks can be used to pick locks. Map flasks will come in handy in areas in which ordinary maps don't work.
Map Flasks: Some places are uncharted, full of twisted corridors and murky water, and dark and gloomy. They don't have parchment maps, or are so loathsome that no one has ever taken the time to map them. These places- caverns, dungeons and worse are where your party needs to use magical Map Flasks.
Designed by ancient wizards, Map Flasks are metal containers. flat on the side, with a small opening at the top, and filled with a magical liquid. Dropping a pearl or a piece of alabaster through the opening into the liquid causes an outline of the party's surroundings to appear on the side of the flask as the pearl dissolves.
Map Flasks are still not foolproof. A pearl may dissolve not only itself, but also the flask into which it is dropped. When possible, it is best to drop alabaster into the flask, knowing it is pure, rather than to take a chance with a simple pearl from unknown waters.

u01150_zpsmglkf96g.png

u01151_zpsniug4odq.png

The party pooled all their money on Urist. We then bought a shovel and a map flask, leaving us with about 700 more coins to spend.

u01152_zps1nnahqfo.png

u01153_zpsk0pueicz.png

Let's check out the fittery next.

u01154_zpsywqgx7ic.png

u01155_zpsnoczhkf0.png

u01156_zpssvqi5w0d.png

u01157_zpsgctpp4et.png

Here we can buy snowshoes (required to cross snowfields) and sealskins (required to cross rivers). We won't buy any of these yet.

u01158_zpsfwtmdcez.png

Later, we went to check the tavern again and met a dwarf who wasn't here before.

u01159_zpskih6zsm9.png

u01160_zpspmilnwas.png

She volunteered to join our party. Let's see her stats.

u01161_zpsox1eddsg.png

u01162_zpsvmrfnko0.png

u01163_zpsozanuhcy.png

u01164_zpsye5yjpw4.png

u01165_zpsrhuv38cx.png

Whoa. She's more skilled than most of our party, in addition to having a lot of coins... We're definitely taking her!

u01166_zpsckkvnnip.png

And so our party got its fifth member! :yeah:

u01167_zpsdmldt6hi.png

"Advice?"
"If you seek information, you came to the right person! I'm the queen of rumors. What would you like to know about: An ancient island, a Brooch, or the local gossip?"
"Island?"
"To the east of Tarq lies the island Tanala. Although I have never been there, it is said to be the home of the antmen. Among other things there is said to be a tower there."
"What other things?"
"I've heard that there is a mushroom patch, a shrine, a grove, and a teleportal as well."
"Patch?"
"They say it is on the southeast tip, by the mountains."
"Shrine?"
"I hear that the shrine to some god lies in the snow, northwest of a place called 'Mountain Cross'."
"Grove?"
"I am told that a safe grove lies in the forest on the southern side of a large bay."
"Teleportal?"
"I think that I was told that it was south of the tower."
"Tower?"
"In the center of the island stands the Tower Naluun. It has been overrun with insect type creatures. I think a priest on some other island, whose name begins with 'M', knows how to get in."
"Brooch?"
"The Brooch of Aquilla was said to be the prize possession of the now dead human ranger named Drimmor. The beautiful, jeweled brooch is said to make a
man irresistible to women, and Drimmor was never without an amazon escort."
"Gossip?"
"On the lighter side of the news, the increased flow of traffic through the teleportals has improved the economy and stimulated cultural exchange."
"Traffic?"
"Travellers who are rich enough to buy the necessary tiles travel from island to island using the teleportals. It is the only way."
"Tiles?"
"I hear that tiles can be bought from the same people that sell spell totems."

Yeah, we certainly learned a lot from this woman. :incline:

u01168_zpsy76xsbbj.png

u01169_zpsc4ioporc.png

"Asarene?"
"The coastal region between here and Kafari is the contested ground that the two clans fight over, probably because it has a number of useful locations."
"Locations?"
"Between here and Kafari, a Morin town, there is a Sacred Grove which is of strategic importance to both clans."
"Grove?"
"The grove lies in a forest, northeast of Kafari."
"Kafari?"
"The Morin town lies to the south, but I wouldn't go there. They have very little to offer."
"Little?"
"Actually, their axes are slightly better, but we make better Dwarven Chain and helms than they do."
"Axe?"
"I have found that axes do more damage than swords in the same price range."
"Chain?"
"Dwarven Chain is better than normal chain mail. We just make it better and stronger."
"Helms?"
"The added protection that a helm provides may be invaluable when things get really hairy."
"Morin?"
"The Morin clan lives to the south. They are powerful, but vulgar and unwashed. My clan will not allow their uncouth ways to destroy our progress!"
"Taldor?"
"The evil and twisted creations of the jealous god, Palelil, these creatures seek to end the life of every dwarf on Tarq!"

That was helpful. Now that we've talked with everyone in the tavern, let's go somewhere else.

u01170_zpsmc6asaqw.png

We stumbled upon another dwarf's home.

"Advice?"
greydwarf_zpsigzuqjka.png
"Seek ye the treasures of the gods? The holy scarab of Dablak lies not distant from here."
"Dablak?"
"Dablak is the god of the earth. All which live on or under it should revere him, lest they invoke his wrath!"
"Distant?"
"Yes, not far at all! The tower of Pradaqa, to the north and west of here, is where it is rumored to be."

Interesting. Isn't Pradaqa also the home of taldors? We'll go there when we're stronger.

u01171_zpsofmdfxk4.png

By the way, Fazil has a wide range of curious items in this home. None of them could be interacted with, but it's a nice touch.

u01172_zpse9mqlapf.png

A guarded pyramid. I suppose this is Torongo's house? But it's on the eastern side of the town, not the western. Ugh, I hope errors like this aren't too common in this game.

u01173_zpsq8ygdqpy.png

Let's chat with the guards first.

u01174_zps0qr73fbf.png

No problem for us.

u01175_zpsourggfii.png

When attempting to enter the pyramid, we discovered that the door was locked. Now we have three options to get the door to open: knocking on the door, picking the lock or just smashing it down...

u01176_zpseapnbryg.png

...but in a town, the only actually viable option is knocking. If we tried to pick the lock or break the door, we'd just get this message.

u01177_zpsm8k9di7u.png

u01178_zpsydjino6k.png

After knocking on the door, we're required to name the person in the house. This time it's easy enough, though.

u01179_zpsyfdyl9ve.png

Greetings, adventurers. Since you are in need of aid, I have a proposition for you. Scattered throughout the land of Tarq and the surrounding islands are many lost relics. The evil and hated Morin, weak dwarves living to the south of here, covet these treasures. But as chief of the greatest tribe in the land, they are rightfully mine. Unfortunately, I can spare no troops to secure these treasures, as I must protect my people against the depradations of the Taldor. With the treasures in my possession, I will be hailed as the most powerful Dwarf of our time. Return these treasures to me and I shall reward you appropriately.

u01180_zpshdpghwti.png

u01181_zps7bpb5twm.png

Well, I'm already starting to see where this is going... My metagaming sense tells me that in order to get the best ending, we should actually give the treasures to another dwarven chieftain of a small tribe who's more sensible than these feuding fools.

That's it for this update, then. Next time we'll start actually adventuring.

Morkar Left

:avatard:
Holy Shit. Probably a "lengthy update award" is incoming. Need some time to read!

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
:what:

I think this is the first time I'd hit the bandwidth limit with Photobucket. WTF, I thought only 10 people or so read my LPs.

Morkar Left

Damn. I had time today.

Bloodstone is a relatively unknown oldschool rpg that is actually good. There aren't that many left to discover.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Bloodstone is a relatively unknown oldschool rpg that is actually good. There aren't that many left to discover.
Well, there's still Demon's Winter, The Dark Heart of Uukrul, Tunnels & Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan, Dragon Wars, Eternal Dagger...

Sure, I'm calling these games good even though I've never played most of them, but then again, so are you :M

Morkar Left

Well, there's still Demon's Winter, The Dark Heart of Uukrul, Tunnels & Trolls: Crusaders of Khazan, Dragon Wars, Eternal Dagger...

Sure, I'm calling these games good even though I've never played most of them, but then again, so are you :M

But those games are already covered by now. Here and the crpg addict gave them good display, too.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, are you having fun with this game?
It looks better than I thought when I skipped it on my chronological play list.
Despite combat being less abstract than in Magic Candle it looks more simplistic?

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
So, are you having fun with this game?
It looks better than I thought when I skipped it on my chronological play list.
Despite combat being less abstract than in Magic Candle it looks more simplistic?
Definitely having fun exploring the world right now, but it remains to be seen how well the game will stand up when I'm a few more hours into it.

Other than the introduction of diagonal moving/attacking and the archery changes, the combat is mostly the same as MC1. Maybe a bit less tactical, but probably also less tedious. There's some more streamlining to the game system, including removal of the food system, and walking no longer cost energy. I can't say I miss these mechanics, but the dumbing down of party split system kinda pissed me off.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom