Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's kill Commies and invade Grenada

Comte

This is an LP of the US Invasion of Grenada scenario for The Operation Art of War III.

GRENADA 1983
Operation Urgent Fury
Date: October 25-27, 1983
Map Scale: 2.5km/hex.
Time Scale: Six-hour turns.
Unit Scale: Battalion/company.
Formation Scale: Division/Brigade.
Length: 12 turns.
UNIT COLORS
US
(Units historically attached to Task Force 121 have a black foreground; units attached to Task Force 123 have a white foreground. Other combat units have a red foreground.)
Navy - Blue background.
Army - Green background.
Marines - Olive background.
OECF Caribbean Peackeeping Force troops - White on Black.
Civilian units - Grey on white.
GRENADA/CUBA
Cubans - Red/White on Red.
Grenadian People's Revolutionary Army - Red/Yellow on Red.
Grenadian People's Revolutionary Militia - White on Red.

iK5CN4BBNxzr5.jpg

BACKGROUND
In the early hours of October 25, 1983, the United States launched Operation Urgent Fury, an assault on the Caribbean island nation of Grenada, with the aim of restoring the recently-deposed government and rescuing a large number of American citizens. The U.S. troops, mainly a joint Army-Marine force, faced opposition from the Grenadian military and a Cuban "advisor" force of undetermined size.
The Cubans had, in fact, been invited to Grenada by the legitimate government of Prime Minister Maurice Bishop, and were in the process of building an airfield at Point Salines. The airfield was of serious concern to the United States, as it gave the Soviet bloc a new base (capable of handling MiG-23's) in the Eastern Caribbean.
When Bishop showed a desire to improve ties to the U.S., he was overthrown (and later executed) by a group of hardline Marxists, led by Gen. Hudson Austin, Commander in Chief of the Grenadian Armed Forces.
The Grenadian coup gave the U.S. an opening to remove the threat to it Atlantic sealanes. With the backing of the Organization of Eastern Caribbean States (a somewhat shaky coalition of Caribbean governments concerned about the spread of Cuban/Soviet influence in the region), the Americans moved ahead with invasion plans.
Of immediate concern to the US was the presence of several hundred American students attending medical school on the island. It was believed they were being held at the school's True Blue campus ("TB" on the game map.) Also under house arrest was Grenada's British Governor-General, Sir Paul Scoon, under guard at his mansion ("Gov't House" on the map) outside the capital of St. George's. The rescue of Scoon and the students would be a high priority in the early hours of the assault.
The exact Cuban strength on the island was unknown to the U.S. planners. Intelligence indicated that most of the Cubans were unarmed construction workers based at the site of the new airfield. However, a Cuban-flagged ship moored in St. George's Bay had recently unloaded a large amount of cargo, leaving open the possibility that the Cubans were better-armed than was thought.
The U.S. Army representatives (led by one H. Norman Schwarzkopf) in particular expressed dismay at the lack of accurate intelligence, but were overruled by CINCLANT, Adm. Wes McDonald.
Late in the afternoon of October 24, the invasion, commanded by Vice-Adm. Joseph Metcalf, was given the go-ahead. U.S. troops would lead the way, to be followed by a "Caribbean Peacekeeping Force" contingent sent by the OECS.

i4saBmeBFj95c.jpg

The Plan

I am going to follow the historic battle plan. I will be using Special Forces units based on Barbados to take the Southwestern part of the Island and to free the US students taken hostage by communist forces. I will also try to take government house and free Governor-General Sir Paul Scoon. Time is of the essence because we fear the Communists will shoot the hostages if we are discovered or act too slowly to free them. I will be using the 2nd Battalion of the 8th Marine Regiment (2/8) based on the USS Guam to land at Grenville and take Pearls Airport. The USS Independence will be providing air support with its squadron of A-7 Corsairs.

iMtjCtlrKGuLV.png

We have an optional event that I will let you guys choose. Are we going to allow US Media access to non-combat areas?

1. Allow Access or 2. No Access

Last edited by a moderator:

Comte

Ok we are bringing Democracy to Grenada televised in Stereo on your favorite news channel

ihLF7k4KFLHvg.jpg

Turn 1, Morning October 25th 1983

ib15deUCTseZBJ.jpg

In the early hours of the morning we begin Operation Urgent Fury! US Army commanders are concerned about the lack of recon before the operation commences. The 75th Rangers paradrop around the vicinity of Point Salines airfield which is being built by Communist Cuba. Also Elements of the 75th Rangers and Seal Team 4 will attempt to rescue the US college students taken hostage at Saint Georges University. Seal Team 6 using Blackhawk helicopters will land at Government House and attempt to rescue Governor-General Paul Scoon.

i478Vyy3BKh4k.png

The Army Rangers and Seal Teams 4 and 6 meet little resistance in their initial surprise landing. The Rangers rescue the College students and proceed to attack Port Salines International airport. Cobra Helicopter Gunships based on USS Guam assist the attack on the airport.

ih2d71ClXrhYR.jpg

Seal Team 6 Manages to rescue the Governor-General with air support provided by A-7 Corsairs operating off of USS Independence. Government House is completely destroyed in the brief battle with Grenadian People's Revolutionary Army units guarding Paul Scoon.

ienwXTvRl45bh.jpg

2nd Battalion 8th Marines land just outside of Grenville on the Eastern shore of the Island. They take Pearls Airport north of the town and meet no resistance so far.

iY8CWshv5cD6T.png

So Far our forces have met little resistance and have taken light casualties. US Commanders are complaining about the US Media presence. Here is the news summary at the end of Turn 1.

ib0Mv2CMLeI1SX.png

Comte

ibnoEBl00fg1j8.jpeg

Turn 2 - AM October 25th, 1983

Point Salines Airport is taken from Cuban Soldiers by US Army Rangers who meet basically no resistance in their surprise attack on the airfield.
The College students and Governor-General Paul Scoon rescued by Army Ranger and Navy Seals are evacuated to safety by helicopters to offshore ships.

isss7NflXFVY.png

Students of Grenada's Saint George University after being rescued

ifomp0C4GEH5T.jpg

In the Eastern part of the island US Marines of the 2nd Battalion 8th Regiment (2/8) Companies E and F push into the interior and encounter a unit of the Grenadian Peoples Revolutionary Army Militia. The Marines attack the GPRA Militia and rout them pushing them further into the interior of the island. Many Militia men surrender to the US Marines.

inzzl6AXxAMqz.png

Militia captured by US Marines

iS2ClB3b0qOvn.jpg

In the Southern part of the Island the US Army sets up its HQ at the freshly captured Point Salines Airport. The Army rangers push north and begin to surround the city of Saint Georges the capital of Grenada. US Navy Seal Team 4 fights a battle for the town of Calivigny against a Grenadian Peoples Revolutionary Army mobile detachment. Despite being outnumbered they route the GPRA unit and take the town.

iO4xYzcbCZd4e.png

Battle for Calivigny combat report (This is the first real battle result I have had in this campaign. Most units we fought routed or evaporated which means no battle report)

iIGOGu7mzO6C3.png

Airstrikes continue to hit communist forces all over the island so far there have been no civilian casualties. (There is an event if you bomb the cities and towns directly it causes you to lose victory points.)

ibzK84jnttz58K.jpg

US commanders continue to complain about the media presence. The media has been granted access to frontline combat units (Another event you can choose which gives you more victory points) This concludes Turn 2.

Comte

And what are drawbacks of granting journalists frontline access?
Anyway - can you lose this game?

You gain victory points by granting journalists frontline access but it also slows down your troops so their movement is affected. Also granting journalists access slows down your reinforcements as they are given space on incoming planes going into Point Saline Airport. You lose victory points every turn if you deny them access. They make a big fuss in the US if you ban them and complain to Congress. Granting the press access was a big deal due to the level of distrust between the Army and the press during the Vietnam war. There are a bunch of events for the scenario that make you lose victory points such as bombing civilian areas. I don't think I can lose at this point unless I get some really bad combat results. We have total air superiority and more incoming units.

Comte

iXxY6xSeI5lJG.jpg

Turn 3, PM October 25th 1983

Arrival of OECS Security detachment

iENXPr82AU1Ok.jpg

More US reinforcements arrive. The Elite 82nd Airborne Divisions 2nd Battalion 325th Regiment arrives at Point Salines airfield and heads towards Saint George. Also arriving at Point Salines Airfield our Allies the Members of the Eastern Caribbean Defense Force arrive. The Organization of Eastern Caribbean States sends a small security force. Also the Nations of Jamaica and Barbados send a small infantry force. They begin to push towards the small Islands capital of Saint George's.

iblHnkjLIhR4pi.png

Navy Corsairs bomb communist forces in St. Georges. They accidently bomb a mental facility there causing civilian casualties.

ibzjulEjTJHMJW.png

In the Northern and Western part of the island more Marine reinforcement hit the beaches to assist in the liberation of the island. Marine 2/8 Battalions Tanks along with 2/8's engineers land between Victoria and Gouyave. They will focus on taking the northern towns of the island. North of Saint Georges 2/8 Company G lands along with 2/8's heavy weapons Company. They will assist in the battle for the capital of the island.

ibfYoQwye8XxTq.png

US forces attempt to take the capital and completely destroy and capture communist forces there. All that's left to do now is mop up the remaining communist forces on the rest of the island.

Here's the battle summary for the capital fight.

ibhW7TVu92orqF.png

Captured suspected communist

ihKlDSY2w6Hrg.jpg

This concludes Turn 3.

Comte

ibbTQ5rGb65V2j.jpg

Turn 4, Early Morning October 26th 1983

Most of the communist forces on the island have been destroyed, routed or surrendered. 2/8's Marines attack a GPRA Security co. entrenched on hill 703. Using superior firepower they get them to rout and leave their entrenched position on the hill.

iFwsAnWvnsA8X.png

The GPRA Security co. withdraws to the southeastern part of the island. The full strength of Marine 2/8 Battalion will be used to take the final communist controlled area in the south eastern part of the island. Marine Engineers begin to repair bridges and road infrastructure in the northern part of the island destroyed by retreating GPRA forces.

iBlAfx5yB4sEB.png

There are protests over the war at many US Universities.

iFtzxJXTxzvo.jpg

liberals

This concludes Turn 4.

Comte

ieq2lPrOTqzp6.jpg

Turn 5, PM October 26th 1983

i5oOwjejyklun.jpg

2nd Battalion 8th Marines prepare for the final battle with Grenadian Peoples Revolutionary Army remnants in the south eastern part of the island. As the entire battalion is brought up the remaining GPRA forces are pounded by US air strikes. (Just moved units up this turn didn't have enough movement points left to take on the final enemy unit.)

i5DeIemjcsFox.png

This concludes Turn 5.

Comte

ibq6COsFwAdSeJ.jpg

Turn 6, AM October 27th 1983

The final push has begun. US Marine 2/8th battalion Infantry and tanks rout the remaining communist troops in there initial attack. The Communists withdraw onto the southeastern tip of the island.

iVmQ0UHv7vHkf.png

The Marines attack the remnants of the GPRA who have barely any fight left in them.

ibkXPlBsmwjETo.png

The remaining GPRA forces are destroyed by superior firepower. Grenada is liberated and democracy is restored.

ibvtq1YMWSLTSn.jpg

Final map after the destruction of communist forces

iYy09QNtKhH8G.png

iXBXltQsu4opw.jpg

President Reagan attending a funeral for the fallen of Grenada

ihGXyZNfEVnIj.jpg

Victory

i8pSnKDubBxeM.png

This is a short scenario that let's you play a conflict that is rarely seen in wargames due to the brevity of fighting. Before doing this short LP I played the scenario several times and fought a more aggressive AI. Also it took me longer to complete in playtests before doing an actual game for LP. After reading the designers notes he programmed several different AI routines for this scenario. I apparently got the least aggressive one in this run. As the scenario goes on you receive more reinforcements such as heavy artillery. In one of the test games I played the communist troops withdrew to the jungle terrain in the northern part of the island and were more difficult to defeat. Not impossible due to your overwhelming firepower as the US and allies but more difficult. The music I added to the campaign was taken from a list of US top 40 music from October 1983. I might do another TOAW III LP in the future. I am thinking of doing the Balkan wars but we shall see.

ib2tomoEo9LYgS.jpg

Comte

Whoa, you don't see TOAW LP's very often. Thanks for doing this and especially highlighting such a minor conflict!

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom