Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Hardcore Minecraft Technic Pack

Urist McLurker

Learned

0001.jpg

Ah minecraft, that game no one has remotely ever heard of.
This'll be done, as the title ought to have at least implied, using the TechnicPack, which most of you ought to know about because, unless I'm very mistaken(which I might very well be), we have our own Tekkit(Technicpack for multiplayer) server.
0002.jpg

Fair Codexia, what else? :salute:
Oh yeah, and it's on hardcore. Which means if I die, the world deletes itself and everything is lost.
0003.jpg

Some of you might have heard of the superflat challenge or something along those lines, surviving on a superflat world with only villages and slimes for company. That's lame as fuck.
0004.jpg

0005.jpg

:incline: We don't need any damn villages 'round these parts. Codexia is a barren wasteland full of nothing but lost dreams. Not of villages.
0006.jpg

After a quick look around, it's clear this is the right place, this is Codexia for sure, no doubt about it.
0007.jpg

Time to get some dirt. The superflat map is basically a never ending map of grass, dirt, and bedrock. One layer of grass, two layers of dirt, one layer of bedrock.
That's it.
That's all there is. Forever.
The more savvy of you might have noticed that there's not an awful lot one can do with just dirt.
0008.jpg

This, this is our saving grace. For Technic Pack has such a mod as mo' creatures. Or something along those lines.
Using this mod, and Thaumcraft, our fair Codexia will be able to bloom into a beautiful and yet very barren and shitty land.
0009.jpg

Just to check, yup, it's Hardcore.
0010.jpg

Slimes. Fucking slimes are the bane of all existance on superflat maps. To make matters worse, the big ones like those hit like goddamn trucks.
0011.jpg

BEAR ALERT!!
Bears are dangerous, aren't actually hostile unless you fuck with their shit, and most importantly, they drop fish.
0012.jpg

Using our cunning and extremely awesome interlecks, a brilliant bunker is created with Dirt, in order to avoid being beaten to a bloody pulp by a bear.
0013.jpg

And from which we can beat the bear into a bloody pulp. I call it, the gloryhole of death.
0014.jpg

The bear managed to hit once, and then a slime is in the way..
0015.jpg

But the prize was gained. One fish. Not two fish, and not blue fish either. Just one.
Technology 1, Nature 0. If you count fists and dirt bunkers as technology, that is.
0016.jpg

Goddamn look at them.
0017.jpg

Two unicorns. Normally I'd wipe them out, but gotta keep the food bar up as high as possible.
Which seems like a good time to get a proper view of the savior of Codexia
0018.jpg

Complete with bunnyhat.
0019.jpg

I find it scary how awe-inspiring the rabbit looks.
0020.jpg

More bears. Neat.
0021.jpg

Woah man, I haven't even hit you off. Shoo, shoo.
0022.jpg

OH GOD GET THEM OFF OF ME
0023.jpg

I think the bear wanted the bunnyhat to eat.
0024.jpg

After a pitched battle, the bear was defeated, the fish was gained, the slimes were ran from, and the hat was saved.
0025.jpg

Ducks! Actual ducks. Which drop chicken.
:kfc:
0026.jpg

Chicken is bad because it makes you food poisoned for a while sometimes, and it doesn't fill you up much, however, deers drop pokechops(just go with it), which fills you up slightly more than raw chicken does, and without the food poisoning.
0027.jpg

The downside of Deers is that they run around like mad, and jump insanely everywhere they can in pure panic, making them a complete nightmare to chase. They are caught though(eventually), well, some of them, and eaten.
0028.jpg

Leave me alone! Is dirt slime catnip or something!?
0029.jpg

A hole is dug, the good thing here is that you can dig 2x1 without breaking up into where the slimes are(fucking everywhere).
..I forgot I was wearing a bunnyhat and he took a face-full of dirt and died.

:hero: Bunnyhat, you lasted 12 screenshots.
0030.jpg

White = Good.
Green = Very Bad.
Red = Bad.
Look at all the green around the red arrow, which = us?
0031.jpg

Yup, all slimes.
0032.jpg

After running around underground for a little while more, a way out is built, for it is getting dark. And that is dangerous; the main advantage that a superflat map gives is that it's very easy to spot danger, plus the minimap helps a lot with that, but if we're underground, it could be anything from a simple zombie, to a horde of ogres ready to kill us.
0033.jpg

Each one of the big ones can hit for about 4 hearts, only drop useless(for now, at least, eventually they'll become barely useful) slimeballs, break up into smaller chunks each time you kill one, the next size down can still hurt you, but the sizes lower than that can only push you the fuck around as it tries to enter your physical state of being. The purple ones are thaumcraft slimes, which hurt at any size.
0034.jpg

Here he is, our ticket out of here.
Ogres like those drop obsidian, from which a gate to the nether can be made. Fire ogres drop fire, which can then be used to light the nether gate so it's usable, and within the nether, well, we'll get to it soon.
The problem is that ogres hit like trucks, break through blocks like dirt for breakfast, their attacks are aoes(which means they can kill us if we're underground), and have a lot of hp. And we only have fists.
0035.jpg

Well, no time like the present, we best go kill that ogre.
0036.jpg

I think at point blank range they hit for about 4-5 hearts, on the ourskirts of their aoe(which has better range than our fists by the way) they do about 2.
0037.jpg

The good news is that their aoe kills anything about them, except other ogres.
0038.jpg

The ogre can be used as a weapon to kill off all these fucking slimes for us, as long as we're careful.
0039.jpg

A rat nips us, and nearly pushes us directly into the ogre's warpath.
0040.jpg

The ogre just bullrushed through our little monolith of difference like it wasn't even there..
0041.jpg

The other thing about ogres is that their aoe attack destroys items on the ground, which means it's very difficult and nearly impossible to get an ogre to kill something else for us so we can get the loot; it'll just end up destroying the loot too.
Also note the slimeballs in slot 1 of the hotbar. That's how much slimeballs all of those slimes dropped, even with the ogre destroying half of the slimeballs.
0042.jpg

Did I mention that they hit like trucks?
0043.jpg

The only advantage we have is that you can see when the ogre is about to attack; he lifts his arms up like so.
Oh, and the coal? We got that from that rat from earlier.
0044.jpg

:M Uh. While kiting the ogre around I sort of bumped into another one.
0045.jpg

By 'another one' I actually meant to say 'three more'.
0046.jpg

PANICPANICPANIC
0047.jpg

Phew. Their attacks have range on them, the diamond ogres(very rare) have bigger range I think, but for the moment, we're up higher than they can reach.
0048.jpg

It's uh. Not looking good.

We need that obsidian, but if we manage to kill one of the ogres, the other three will just destroy it, but we can't really let 4 ogres just go..
0049.jpg

It's a bit too dangerous to even attempt to kite four ogres at night with all the other enemies about, so it looks like it's time to build a hidey hole in the air so wraiths(which can fly) can't hit us while we wait for morning.
0050.jpg

Not uh, long now...

I expect this LP to not remotely last a long time since it's hardcore and it's very very easy to get killed by accident in minecraft. If we're very lucky we'll make it to the nether.

Inventory: 1 Coal, 50 slimeballs, 3 raw chicken, 3 dirt blocks, 5 feathers.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Cool beans. I'm interested because I've played Minecraft, but confused because I don't know what this mod changes, other than giving you monsters to fight.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Cool beans. I'm interested because I've played Minecraft, but confused because I don't know what this mod changes, other than giving you monsters to fight.

I'm afraid that most of the awesome changes Technic(basically anything 'technical' you can think of has been added to the game(as well as quite of a lot 'magical' things)) makes will most likely not be shown, the problem being the complete and utter lack of..well, things to make them out of.
Simply not having any wood means that a crafting bench can't be made. It's basically MacGyvering everything you need from dirt, drops of mobs, and a 2x2 crafting grid; not the best way to showcase the mods in the modpack.

The items that can be currently gained are: Coal, seeds, every tool up to the iron tier, sticks, diamonds, fire, obsidian, raw porkchops, leather, beef, feathers, raw chicken, big cat claws, gunpowder, redstone, fish, string, zombie flesh, bones, arrows, and vis crystals(or whatever they're called), and maybe gold and iron, but I'm not sure about that.
All of these are from vanilla, mo' creatures, or thaumcraft. If we get to the nether we'll come across vanilla, mo' creatures, weapons mod, nether ores, thaumcraft, and a random ruin creator(I think)

Urist McLurker

Learned
0051.jpg

While waiting for night to end, I decide it's a good time to take a look at the mobs around us.
The werewolf has an insane amount of health, do a fair bit of damage, and move like a spider minus the wall climbing.
But they can drop stone and iron tools, as well as golden apples when killed, when day comes they transform back into human form, who drops wooden tools and/or sticks.
0052.jpg

Skeletons in armour, with swords. And they can block. The better armour they have the more deadly they are. They can also have bows like their non-armoured bros.
0053.jpg

The big wolf dog thing isn't much of a worry, but the ghost/wraith is a fire one; one hit from those will kill us unless we have a golden apple.
0054.jpg

Here comes the sun..
0055.jpg

A wraith comes towards us, but the biggest advantage of having four ogres right under you is that they murder absolutely anything that comes near you.
0056.jpg

Obsidian normal ogres aren't harmed or bothered by the sun rising, so it's time to return to the fight/slaughter.
0057.jpg

The odds aren't good.
0058.jpg

Just to make life easier, two giant slimes join the party. The ogres hit them, and push them right towards me, making it much more difficult to fight the slimes and the Ogres, even though the slimes don't last long.
0059.jpg

Food is running out very quickly but some careful play lets us gain venison..
0061.jpg

Oh, and the slime ball count is quickly going up.
0062.jpg

Sort of got trapped then and nearly died, four of them left still.
0063.jpg

0064.jpg

It's nightfall by the time one goes down.
That's not good at all.
0065.jpg

A very productive day..
0066.jpg

A complete net loss. Unless you count the slime balls. So main slime balls.
0067.jpg

Werewolf, that's what we need to kill. We need to get some tools. A pickaxe does more damage than our fist and would help a lot.
0068.jpg

More wraiths. Though these are normal ones, still dangerous because of their ability to float.
0069.jpg

We're safe up here, but there's a lot of mobs out there just waiting for us. And no body ever got anywhere by doing nothing.
0070.jpg

A non-transformed werewolf. Completely harmless..Unless he transforms.
0071.jpg

The ogre bodyguard system is working well.
0072.jpg

Oh hey look, normal mobs. Forgot they existed.
0073.jpg

An iron skeleton, I reckon it could kill us in two, maybe three hits.
0074.jpg

A transforming werewolf.
0075.jpg

Fire ogres. We'll need to take down one of these to get fire for the portal, for now though, it's simply too dangerous.
0077.jpg

Notice the werewolf?
Very close to the dirt-penis platform.
0078.jpg

Lured towards the ogres and killed.
0079.jpg

Jumping off the platform towards the death site of the werewolf is our best hope..
0080.jpg

!
An iron pickaxe! A weapon.
0081.jpg

Oh and a shovel. We could always do with more dirt.
0082.jpg

Making sure not to get in the way of any ogres..
0083.jpg

With our new fancy pickaxe, it's time to take down one of the ogres.
0084.jpg

0085.jpg

SUCCESS!
0086.jpg

Beef!
0087.jpg

And a defecseless, unarmed peaceful man to kill! Everything is suddenly going well.
0088.jpg

And a skeleton archer in armour. I think the armour stops them from burning in daylight.
0089.jpg

We uh. Lost and ran away.
0090.jpg

After a while I notice the pickaxe is about to die on us.
0092.jpg

Supplies are going up, and we have three weapons, but they aren't very good..
0093.jpg

One of the red dots is slightly faded out, that means it's on a different level from us.
0094.jpg

And there he is. The mining tunnels aren't very safe.
0097.jpg

Some improvements to the..uh..base? But more importantly..
0098.jpg

:incline: Progress. Only 8 to go.

Urist McLurker

Learned
0101.jpg

Back into the fray we go.
0102.jpg

0103.jpg

Multiple enemies are spotted and engaged.
0104.jpg

More progress!
0105.jpg

The pickaxe is discovered to be super effective against the ogres, killing them in 3-4 hits. Damn, wish I didn't use it so much up already now..
0106.jpg

More equipment is required and shall be acquired; a werewolf is spotted and measures are quickly put in place.
0107.jpg

Pity uh, I was zooming it. It's pretty far away.
0108.jpg

The bunker is constructed after a run in with a few mobs along the way.
0109.jpg

Gloryhole of death, greatest invention of all time.
0110.jpg

:dance:
0112.jpg

Just to even make matters better, pigs are shortly found and murdered for their sweet sweet raw meat.
0113.jpg

0114.jpg

Our offensive capabilities are greatly improved, but we can still half take a good pounding to death fairly quickly. Getting cocky is a bad idea
0115.jpg

0116.jpg

A quick scout around spots two werewolves and a non transformed one.
0117.jpg

Soon it is morning, the golden skeleton, in it's natural habitat of endless grassy plains, knows not what can combat the sun; only that it makes his armor shiney.
0118.jpg

A werewolf is found just before it becomes morning, and a battle for survival out in the open field begins. No gloryhole of death to prevent our death..
0119.jpg

Before the fight is over, he transforms back into human. A blessing or a great annoyance? I'm not sure.
0120.jpg

It uh, looks like that werewolf has mastered fire. And has an extra arm made from zombie flesh.
Time to take a quick gander and look see at what we gained.

0121.jpg

Woah momma, we're cooking on gas now. Our iron sword might be nearly wrecked, but we gained a great many things from it, most note worthy being the 5 obsidian, stone pickaxe and axe, and the wooden sword.
0122.jpg

Some of the random werefolk are chased down and purged for the good of Codexia.
0123.jpg

Slime in a hole. I felt this was important to share with you people. So very important.
0124.jpg

I like how it slowly looks more lived in.
0125.jpg

The skeletons decide to ignore me and focus on some existential thought instead.
0127.jpg

Only 3 to go now. :smug:
0129.jpg

Bears in battle! They attack other mobs and can get into fights with vis crystals, who totally own them with ease. As can be seen here, three bears, one vis.
0130.jpg

Not long now.
0131.jpg

Straight away, two ogres are found and charged at.
0132.jpg

Suddenly a metric ton of mobs spawn in the way.
Typical.
0133.jpg

Two more obsidian to go, two more ogres.
Oh man, I can't wait.
0134.jpg

It's getting pretty dangerous out here, but it's only 2 to go. Victory is in sight.
0135.jpg

Actually, it's getting very dangerous. RUN AWAY!
0136.jpg

No. Get down from there. That's not where you belong at all.
Looks like ogres can spawn on 1x1, or at least, 1x2 areas.
0137.jpg

Four ogres, one obsidian. Onto ogre five it seems.
0138.jpg

Oh dear, the ogre falls into the slimehole.
0139.jpg

Five ogres, 1 obsidian.
0140.jpg

Six ogres and still only one obsidian.
0141.jpg

Aha, we all know what time it is!
0142.jpg

A bit of bother setting it up, but in the end the glory hole of death proves to be adaptable.
0143.jpg

Oh I've got a golden apple...
0144.jpg

7 ogres. Still only one obsidian.
Guys? Come on now. Don't do this to me..
0145.jpg

0146.jpg

Gained an iron axe, and it's starting to become morning..
0147.jpg

I think I'll name the crater 'General Discussion'
0149.jpg

Well. That last night didn't go so well. Still, just 2 more to go and then the fire.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Do you win when you get to the netherworld? Can you find trees in there?

I wouldn't go as far to say win, it's more like the journey actually begins.

About the trees..Sort of. When at the nether, there's necromancer places added into the game by Thaumcraft, aswell as ruins added into the game which have loot in them as well. Unlike the overworld, superflat settings don't change anything in the nether, meaning these places can be found. Though it might take literally hours of searching through the nether with nothing more than weapons/sticks gained from werewolves, and dirt.

As far as I know, there isn't anywhere I can find saplings until the very very very high tiers of the magical mod, Equivalent Exchange.
What I mean by very very very high tiers is that, on the EE system which is basically transmuting items into different items, every item has an energy level to it, one dirt is worth one point of emc(the name of the energy), A single diamond is worth = 8,192 emc, and to get to a point where I can get a sapling I'll need at the very least 152,732,178 emc, which unless my math is even worse than I believe, is about 18,644 diamonds.
In reality though, it'll end up being over 193,517,231 emc, or more than 23,622 diamonds worth.

Equivalent Exchange being a mod for very late-game use when you've got hundreds of diamonds just doing nothing whatsoever, but since it's the first building mod we'll come across, it'll be the one we have to deal with the most for now.

Getting to the nether won't give us trees, but it'll give us the means to eventually get trees as well as 'unlock' the other mods, the long ass journey it'll take to unlock the other mods is offset by the fact this is hardcore mode and we'll die in no time at all.

Urist McLurker

Learned
0150.jpg

What a glorious land we have carved from the ruins.
0151.jpg

As soon as the sun sets, ogres are sort out and murdered.
0152.jpg

One more to go, one more to go..
0153.jpg

0154.jpg

:incline: Note the hotbar.
0156.jpg

Time to pray to Prometheus.
0157.jpg

:rage:
0158.jpg

!
0159.jpg

RUNRURNUNRUNRUNRURNUJRN, I am not fucking up now, we've got the obsidian, we've got the fire..
0160.jpg

It..is..glorious!
0161.jpg

0162.jpg

Okay so it looks pretty stupid with all the dirt around it, but here's our portal to hell.
0163.jpg

In the fires of the nether we shall forge our destiny!
0164.jpg

:bounce:
0165.jpg

As soon as we step through the portal we're attacked as ghasts. Oh joy.
0166.jpg

It's a very bad spawn location for the portal, right on the level of the lava lakes in open ground. At least it's not under the lava lakes..But that's pretty much all it's got going for it.
0167.jpg

Here's some nether ore, basically in the nether there's now ore with the mod..nether ore. Keeping up so far? Super.
You mine it and smelt it in the furnace, which turns it into normal ore, which you can then smelt again. Mining it makes the pigmen hate you(if I recall correctly) and it can blow up randomly.
It'll be the only ore we can naturally mine, but without furnaces or crafting benches it's no use.
0168.jpg

I'm not sure how the mechanics for the pigmen hating you work, but I think they have to see you mine it to get angry.
0169.jpg

Speaking of pigmen, here's some.
When things get dire, we'll have to start killing them for food. I'm rather sure they can drop cooked porkchops.
0170.jpg

There's a couple of hellrats that way, they're argubly the least dangerous threat in the nether, I don't think they can set you on fire, and the only threat they really give is that they can fit through 1x1 squares and climb.
0171.jpg

Pigmen archers. They're automatically enemies and I don't know if killing them makes the other pigmen hate me, so I decide to run away instead.
0172.jpg

More thaumcraft pigmen, and a fire ogre.
They drop ingots of their armour type when killed, and we could do with some iron or gold..
0173.jpg

And the way we're going is free from pigmen, so it'll be a while before we find some more, and they won't be hostile to us as we'd have gotten out of the hostile range of pigmen.
0174.jpg

A gloryhole of death is constructed, and so are some stairs for the pigmen to come down.
0175.jpg

Their armour is removed/falls out/breaks the more hits they take.
0176.jpg

What can we do with gold ingots? Ranged weaponry.
0177.jpg

Knives can be constructed via the weapons mod, they can be thrown with the right mouse button, and used as a normal melee weapon, with four of them we'll have some range on us, which might be a life saver later.
They are half as strong as gold swords though, and the gold weapons mod weapons don't work on werewolves too which is a shame.
0178.jpg

As soon as we leave the glory hole, the iron pigman one-shots us from ontop of the stairs and we're dead.
:salute:

Urist McLurker

Learned
:salute: The beauty of hardcore LPs.

Will there be moar?

I was planning on just ending it on the first death, having played it all in one go and being completely aware of how short the LP would be before I started the thread, but I rather enjoyed doing it and it feels kinda bad not to show off all the things technic has to offer. I've already played more and gotten much further, but fraps had a hissy fit and missed out all of the most important screenshots, so I'm having to do it all over again. Which is very difficult, as it turns out.

Planning on starting again, I think I'll start the LP again straight from the nether, skipping the start, which'll be the same thing as already shown, so kinda pointless in my view.
I think I might do it with npc towns enabled so it'll take maybe a day and a night to get back to the nether, and then ignore all of the villages when/if we return from the nether. That'll make it quicker to get back where this try ended, and make the screenshots leading up to the nether varied from what they were before.

Urist, you're the greatest thing that has happened to the Playground since Prisoner of Ice...

... was discontinued.

Keep up the good work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom