Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's go to the Moon and do the other things (Kerbal Space)

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Article about the leading international space programs.

rockets_series_20120316sm.jpg

Buy Poster

Kamerica

In the beginning the Kamerican space program was risk-taking and plagued by amateurish design. But with the 45 ton Kemini-Aurora, the land of Burgers and Firearms has found a solid workhorse. The Aurora is not the most powerful rocket but it's able to bring a fairly decent payload to the Moon without exorbitant cost, and without blowing up!

Aurora-Series-0.jpg

Kermany

Kermany has left the wars behind and builds technically advanced, ultra-light space rockets. Their current top-model A4 weighs only 25t and can lift ca 2t ton payload into orbit, or to the Moon. Cost per unit is only 500.000 Reichsmark, and they are for sale to any international government, democratic or non-democratic.

A4-Series-0.jpg

In the future, Kermany is thinking about uprated versions which could carry out landings on the Moon.

uprated_A4.jpg

Koviet Union

The Koviet Union was for a long time the leading nation in unmanned exploration of the Moon, and boldly declared the goal to make a human landing in this decade.

But while other nations have just successfully modernized their space programs, and thereby brought the cost spiral under control, the Koviets are lagging behind without state of the art rockets. Their Luna program was relying on ancient technology, and the monstrous 200-ton N1 seems to have turned into a costly failure. This has brought their whole program to a temporary halt.

The latest information is that the Koviets have cancelled the N1, sent Spermatov on a "sabbatical" to Siberia, and are working on a new series of rockets, ranging from 25 to 65 tons. Using popamole as oxidizer, the R-series is supposed to carry humans and substantial cargo to the Moon and beyond - without the excessive cost of the N1.

LAVOCHKIN-R-Series-1.jpg

The exact maximum performance is yet unknown, even to the Koviets. But the proud General Secretary allegedly said of it: "One day it will put rocket from American and Kermany under each arm, and still fly normal."

Theoretically, this RDL-1 cluster (7 engines) could develop a thrust of up to 1400.

r55t_engines.jpg

Congo

The Democratic Republic of Congo has built a reputation as one of the most innovative forces in space flight. They already have rockets which stayed in the air for over 2 minutes, and are now planning powerful variants which could carry small animals, into the vacuum of space!

poposphere7

Kiran

For the Holy Cause of resurrecting old-school RPGs, the Republic of Kiran has created an absolutely unique lineup of rockets, among them the powerful "Kingcomrade" & "Popamole" series. They already sent a number of men into space, some of them survived, others died as martyrs.

Technical details of their rockets are just too secret.

popamole.jpg

Burning Bridges

KSP 2012-03-14 15-52-29-65.jpg

Successful Orbiter / Lander Multi Part Mission

The Kunited States Space Agency have launched a successful multi-part mission to the Moon. The mission included both an orbiter (which was placed in a stable, quasi-polar lunar orbit) and a lander (which is currently operating inside the "Nancy Reagan" craters).

A very communicative Konald Reagan later explained that the use of 1 rocket for two spacecraft represents another step in his vision of ultimate cost savings. He also admitted the polar orbit was more the result of control problems with the rocket than any intentional planning and that, in spite of the success, the lander performed very badly and is a faulty construction. He then was heard saying to his assistants: "And when I find out who was responsible for that rubbish, that guy will get a new one."

RONALD-REAGAN.jpg

All the same, while numerous minor problems are still spoiling the party, it appears that the Kunited States are on the way to regaining the leading position in the space race.

Mission report:
AURORA - SURVEYOR - LUNAR ORBITER

KSP 2012-03-14 14-06-35-84.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-11-36-70.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-12-36-59.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-13-17-81.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-14-25-96.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-17-00-65.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-25-31-89.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-30-22-68.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-30-39-21.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-31-31-85.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-33-53-81.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-35-47-98.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 14-37-49-71.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-02-57-09.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-09-23-01.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-11-09-65.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-13-21-09.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-25-27-73.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-27-13-62.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-27-59-39.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-34-20-35.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-36-09-14.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-36-42-09.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-36-58-54.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-44-05-75.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-48-48-90.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-49-28-06.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-51-30-31.jpg

KSP 2012-03-14 15-51-59-04.jpg

Oesophagus

Arcane
ADOPT, ADAPT AND IMPROVE

U4fcf.jpg
: Chief engineer?
nPUwF.jpg
: Yes, mister president?
U4fcf.jpg
: What is the progress of our ingenious plan to counter the Kamerican spy satellite?
nPUwF.jpg
: There have been setbacks, mister president. We cannot afford the original idea of a low-orbit ion cannon. Our funding has been transferred to a different cause.
U4fcf.jpg
: Different cause? What different cause?
nPUwF.jpg
: The Glorious cause of bringing incline back to cRPGs, and also showing publishers like EA and Activision where they can stick their "emotional engagements" and "streamlined gameplay".
U4fcf.jpg
: That is a glorious cause indeed. So we pledged our entire budget on Wasteland 2?
nPUwF.jpg
: Yes, all 15 $
U4fcf.jpg
: Bismillah! Praise be to Brian Fargo!
nPUwF.jpg
: For it is proper to praise Him
U4fcf.jpg
: So about that Kamerican satellite...

Here is the Kiranian countermeasure. It is not a spy satellite. In fact its only use is getting Sky Sports for free. But you have to start somewhere

h0TBF.jpg

A conspicuously russian-looking launch vehicle is constructed:

BWLfX.jpg

And, without needless delay:

ApHom.jpg

PHYwo.jpg

EE09D.jpg

qXE8X.jpg

The separation of the casing didn't go entirely as intended (as in - it didn't happen at all), but it is only na inconvenience, and not a real threat to the mission:

fiHEd.jpg

mm9C6.jpg

No screenshots on casing separation, I goofd. But it did work:

jHkNC.jpg

RKT5e.jpg

A reasonably circular orbit is achieved:

P1517.jpg

Decoupling of stage 3 engines and orbital insertion:

vxGzm.jpg

UgrhE.jpg

xvJle.jpg
: Popamole - 1, this is mission control. Mission successful, commence re-entry maneuver.
uneJc.jpg
: Acknowledged

g2Qrm.jpg

WQjBZ.jpg

xvJle.jpg
: Decelaration successful, decouple final stage.

CNlgH.jpg

xvJle.jpg
: Repeat, Popamole - 1, decouple final stage, please confirm.

4Gnre.jpg

uneJc.jpg
: Mission control, we have a problem here. It looks like there's no decoupler between the capsule and the engine tank.
xvJle.jpg
: oops

loTeR.jpg

uneJc.jpg
: Wat do? :(
xvJle.jpg
: Improvise!

hQofi.jpg

xvJle.jpg
: Popamole, you'll tear off your parachute! Use the engines to break!

2BnJE.jpg

7TQ7n.jpg

fTIZH.jpg

xvJle.jpg
:You're almost there!

WCund.jpg

pTXRy.jpg

xvJle.jpg
: Balls

xvJle.jpg
: No... wait!

snTgs.jpg

xvJle.jpg
: Popamole - 1, what the hell just happened?

uneJc.jpg
: The engine exploded on touchdown, mission control, but the capsule is safe. We're okay. Well, we still live in Kiran...

KhM28.jpg

Space exploration - THE KIRANIAN WAY

Burning Bridges

A conspicuously russian-looking launch vehicle is constructed:

BWLfX.jpg

looks very .. phallic.

A shame you didn't use 0.14 otherwise your satellite would stay in orbit.

But Kiran has demonstrated their determination to retaliate .. have a brofist in return.

P.S. I often have such explosions on touchdown, in fact you can use the engine as a landing cussion.

Oesophagus

Arcane
A shame you didn't use 0.14 otherwise your satellite would stay in orbit.

I'm waiting for planets to be added. My budget's pretty stretched out as it is, and I'm not about to steal from an indie company

Burning Bridges

lunokhod2.Vue_generale2-s.jpg

The Rovers are coming!

After a mysteriously long break, the Koviet Union has resumed her lunar program by sending the first autonomous rover ever (Lunochod) to the Moon!!

KSP 2012-03-18 10-49-24-56.jpg

A British telescope recorded the radio signals even before Moscow, so the baffled Koviets could see their images in the BBC news.

KSP 2012-03-18 10-57-38-73.jpg

Lunochod-1 is a heavy, sluggish vehicle, moving only 5-10 km/h, and it's prone to tip over. But all the same the operation of a vehicle on the lunar surface is a great, much needed success for the Koviets.

KSP 2012-03-18 10-54-44-23.jpg

Among the scientific discoveries is that impact bassins have huge calderas in the center. They are the deepest points on the lunar surface yet discovered (Lunochod reached so far -20m ). It was also discovered that at such depths the terrain mysteriously dissapears, a phenomena related to the graphics engine of the Moon!

KSP 2012-03-18 09-49-24-71.jpg

Lunochod-1 was launched on top of a brand new R-30T which achieved a perfectly ecliptic orbit right away! This means that their new launch system may be ahead of everything else in precise orbital navigation.

KSP 2012-03-18 09-52-38-18.jpg

More images

KSP 2012-03-18 09-45-39-57.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 09-48-18-78.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 09-48-31-59.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 09-49-24-71.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 09-52-46-95.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 09-54-52-76.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 10-05-14-95.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 10-05-44-92.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 10-26-06-29.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 10-28-10-14.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 10-28-12-79.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 10-44-30-57.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 10-48-45-92.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 10-51-10-60.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 10-59-49-78.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 10-49-22-51.jpg

KSP 2012-03-18 10-29-47-64.jpg

Oesophagus

Arcane
This game is awesome.

Imagine you could send that buggy to Mars

Also, credit where credit's due, hats off to Koviets

ahmadinejad%20Holocaust%20myth.jpg

(he always looks like a trollface)

Burning Bridges

Could you post which mods you are using? Where did you get those parts, for example?
Same with your capsule.

BWLfX.jpg

Here is mine
BACE Construction Co 0.1
CrabWheel
hstwCart11
hstwGemini10
Kerpollo_V1.0
KW Challenger Pack v0.5
kwPLFset v0.2b
Noyuz Pack 1.2.1
Probodobodyne Construction Kit

Akimbo05

Novice
Kaustralia Joins the Space Race

our first baby steps is to "assess" the "competency" of our soon space bound pilots by sending them in the worlds first "Spaceplane"
Vovj3.png

our mission is to successfully take off and touch down WITHOUT making a krater.
without further ado, let us be off!
k4UQR.png

and there she sits, in all her glory!
W3wrq.png

after a quick pre-flight check ("can you pull up?" "huh?" "pull the lever in front of you towards yourself" "Like this?" "congratulations! your now a certified Kaustralian Spaceplane pilot!") all apears good.
i3sGv.png

and away we go!
kXj6X.png

"flight control this is The Magpie,uuuuh... I think we just hit somebody, ummm... he kinda wandered onto the runway, errrr... where tipping pretty badly, should we abort?"
"Magpie this is flight control, negative on the abort, I repeat, negative on the abort! pull up if you can!"
IB2Wb.png

0Mmst.png

"flight control this is The Magpie, I don't think this things gonna make it over the ocean with only one tank of fuel, I'm coming around to land near the runway if I can"
l0wyb.png

GYk54.png

MBmyO.png

"beginning landing sequence!"
h0YBR.png

"easy now.... almost there!"
qMwXL.png

"MADAY MADAY! WE TOUCHED DOWN BUT WE TIPPED ON OUR SIDE AND ARE NOW SLIDING, I REPEAT, WE ARE NOW SLIDING!"
SVLPL.png

and from the wreckage we pulled his unconscious body and several beer cans.
I name this mission as a giant leap in the piloting skills of Kaustralian Space Pilots! Mission Success!

I can also call this a bump, right?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Only Jeb is crazy enough to fly something that ridiculous and dangerous. Oh and...

Damn you!

I planned to revive this (although in a new topic rather than via a bump)! Once 0.18 would be released that is, which should be pretty soon considering the change log got posted and the internal testing version is on Release Candidate 3. The primary reason for the new topic being that the game changed a lot since march when the last posts here were made. That and 0.18 will delete all old version rocket/spaceplane designs because the parts now work under a new system, which for one allowed them to solve some problems with docking (the major game changing feature of 0.18), and probably makes modding easier.

Also space planes are a fucking bitch to design. Tried to copy the White Knight-Space Ship One (sub)orbiter on top of mothership two-stage spaceplane design. Damn thing either never got off the ground or kept tilting nose up/down too much due to a bad center of mass location. Also the mothership was powered by like 8 or ten turbo jet engines, because more power=better. Still can't manage to build a spaceplane that could take off like a regular plane

At least I'm still proud of my (one way - who needs to return back to their homeworld anyway when you have vast and empty rust-dust deserts around you) nuclear-propelled Duna Plane, somehow managed to put a NERVA thruster on it while still having the weight balanced. Who needs a thick atmosphere when your engine is powered by splitting atoms? Hell, the wings even generated decent lift, I think.

Akimbo05

Novice
MUN LANDER-KOOKABURRA, SUCCESS!
Kaustralia, the last to join the space race, not the first to land, not the first to have a rover on the Mun, But the first Kerbal to set foot on the Mun ,Thompory Kerman, was Kaustralian, a hero of our great nation, and a hero to us all!
let us review this glorifying moment in Kerbal history and stand together in honor of the fallen who sacrificed their lives for this day.
JCNIx.png

Kookaburra: "Mission control, this is the Kookaburra, we think we've got a good shot at this, shall we proceed?"
Mission control: "Kookaburra, this is Mission Control, proceed with caution, don't end up like the 'Great-White', the 'Koala' and the 'Box-Jellyfish'"
WytqP.png

Kookaburra: "Mission control, this is the Kookaburra, first attempt has failed, coming around for a second try"
Mission control: "Kookaburra, this is Mission Control, be advised ground is sloped near new landing coordinates"
sVWq5.jpg

Kookaburra: "Mission control, this is the Kookaburra, we've almost touched down."
Mission control:[silence]
251r4.png

Kookaburra: "The Kookaburra has landed in the Old Gumtree"
Mission control: [muffled cheering] "good job Kookaburra, this is a momentous moment in our histo-"[cuts out]
IMew4.png

[view from Malzor Kerman's camera]
c00Ee.png

Thompory Kerman: [static, presuming the beginning of transmission]
XLWk2.png

Thompory Kerman: "deploying ladde-[cuts out]-eels like I'm gonna float away!"
95Hst.png

"I'm about to step onto the Mun and I'm desperately trying to think of an inspirational quote,errrr. don't do drugs kiddies!"
jgokj.png

Thompory Kerman: "My God"
V48PG.png

Thompory Kerman:"all I can think now is how beatiful Kerbin looks from up here, I wish you could all see it."
RW5QH.png

[Thompory Kerman, seen through Chadgel Kermans Camera"
CPgBQ.png

Mission control: "alright Boys, its time to come on home, the Kwueen's waiting to shake your hands."
GHWZs.png

QPQQZ.png

JamcS.png

Kookaburra: Mission control this is Kookaburra, we can't seem to get orbit right, it may take us a while to get home"
Mission control: acknowledged, be careful, we don't want to lose our new hero's"
mzeJV.png

v1yIL.png

Kookaburra: "MADAY! MADAY! Mun has interfered with our orbit and thrown us into Kerbin escape trajectory! we are attempting to slow ourselves down and get back to orbit!"
Mission control: "Kookaburra, this is Mission Control, be advised that once out of Kerbin orbit, it is difficult to regain. proceed with caution!"
E0xJu.png

dbipO.png

59iNK.png

ZydMA.png

after many days we finally can go home!
ME9s3.jpg

re-entering atmosphere
WZ0mx.png

Kookaburra: Mission control this is Kookaburra, we just lost most of the lander."
Mission control: "how?"
Kookaburra: "The chutes kinda, ummm... ripped it apart. mission capsule still has one thankfully"
1Xykw.png

Splashdown! finally!
5dNwW.png

ZnY81.png

good luck finding us!

well Im quite happy with myself, against all odds, I did it, for the first time ever! sorry you can't see the launch and trip too the moon, it kinda fell apart in transit and i didn't think it was gonna make it. thank you for reading :D and let the interplanetary flights begin!

Hellraiser

Arcane
Yeah, I was surprised to see some design elements on the lander that personally I avoid, but then again I made similar mistakes or worse during my first few Münar missions. As you noticed the side mounted fuel tanks have a nasty habit of falling off under stress. Though in my case I didn't put parachutes on them:

Minerva-1.png

Everything worked fine until I tried landing that on Minmus (landed a different, smaller lander on the Mün prior to that), turns out putting lander legs on such tall side-mounted tanks was a very bad idea. They kind of fell apart the second they hit the ground causing the whole thing to smash into the surface, even if i managed to have zero horizontal velocity and a ~5 m/s decent velocity. It could probably be fixed by structural reinforcement Duct Taping the thing to the NERVA atomic thrusters, but you know how does things like to have struts connected to them, Especially when you have 4 symmetrical side-mounted tanks with legs and 3 thrusters on a tri-coupler. Kind of not symmetrically compatible.

Either way I got pissed off after a few dozen attempts to land that on Minmus and designed a better heavy lander for Polant, the Minerva-2, which did do the job properly. After I reinforced it as it kept falling apart upon landing as well, but duct taping that things was possible.

Oh and just a question, are you using protractor or anything to do the interplanetary transfer orbit thing or just want to count it yourself eyeball it? I mean sure, having the orbits intersect isn't hard, it's just that you'll probably end up waiting something like 6 years until the target's SOI will engulf the orbiting craft. Which wouldn't be bad if the max time warp wasn't somewhat sluggish in that regard, waiting for a launch window already takes quite a lot of time even if you do know the right angle.

Akimbo05

Novice
no such thing as calculations for me :D just point and pray!
although I do steer so some extent, and I wait until the planet is pointing me in the right direction, but as a rule
UNXrA.jpg

:D

Hellraiser

Arcane
Polant can into space.

Edward_Gierek1.jpg

Towarzysze!

I, first secretary of Polant’s United Workers Party Kedmund Gierek, am pleased to announciate that the Peoples Republic of Polant has joined race for space! Our technical prowess of socialist engineering has allowed Polantish-built rocket to fly to space.

With the help of comrades from Koviet Union, we built nuclear thruster, harnessing power of atom for peace and prosperity of global working class in cosmos! Our brightest of aerospace engineers, comrade Kustyn Sandauer, will explain mission which is about to launch.

sandauer.png

Yes, what you see before you is carrier rocket with cosmoplane orbiter on top. This carrier rocket “Tytan Socjalizmu” will launch interplanetary vehicle “Aurora-4” above atmosphere, there atomic motor of rocket ignite, propelling rocket vessel into escape trajectory. Aurora-4 will then adjust orbit to fly to planet Eve. Upon getting into Eve orbit, comrade Bill Kerman, brave worker of mine in Kadowice, will pilot cosmoplane “Latajacy Lenin” into atmosphere of Eve for science. We expect much knowledge to be gained by this mission, we barely know Eve have atmosphere, which is all we know about Eve for now, scientists not even sure it has gravity. Much to learn for betterment of global proletariat!

ksp1-001.png

Rocket vessel in launchpad. Comrade Bill boards cosmoplane.

ksp1-002.png

Rocket fire! Potato Gas powered rocket is great success! Five mainsail engine and sixteen booster propel vessel into cosmos!

ksp1-003.png

Nine kilometer, booster all used up and discarded. Rocket vessel continue ascent.

ksp1-004.png

Thirty five kilometer, side rockets empty of Potato Gas, jettisoned away. Scientist predict they land safely on PGR cow in East Polant, no harm to citizens of world. Cow will be awarded “Star of Red Polant” medal posthumously for sacrifice in name of Markzism and science.

ksp1-006.png

Two hundred sixty kilometer, last mainsail Potato Gas rocket empty, separating Aurora-4 interplanetary rocket vessel from spent tank. Nuclear engine fire, utilizing fission to heat potato gas for greater velocity in empty vacuum of cosmos.

ksp1-008.png

Rocket enter Munar gravity along way. This all planned by flight engineers from beginning, use Mun gravity to assist rocket vessel, give velocity for better Kerbin escape*. Cut off motors until closest Mun approach, resume main burn then.

*Not a whole lot but if we’re getting delta V for free we might as well take it, more fuel in case severe orbital trajectory are needed, even if it is just a bit. Fun fact, the reason why NASA doesn’t use the moon for gravity assists is because its orbit is inclined, same reason why there isn’t a solar eclipse and lunar eclipse during every lunar orbit. In Kerbal the Mun has a 0 degree inclination orbit, Minmus however has inclination similar to Luna in real life IIRC

ksp1-009.png

ksp1-010.png

Rocket craft in closest approach to Mun, resuming burn to put vessel into escape trajectory.

ksp1-011.png

Trajectory achieved, ending burn.

ksp1-012.png

Success comrades! Aurora-4 first Polantish craft to leave Kerbin sphere of influence! Major victory for socialist cosmo-rocket science! We wait few days until Aurora-4 get into good position to change orbit.

ksp1-013.png

Mission Day 273, 267 days later.

Comrade Kerman fires atomic engine facing craft retrograde to lower orbit closer to Kerbol magnificent star of our system.

ksp1-015.png

Orbit lowered comrades! Now we wait for weeks while Comrade Kerman passes time memorizing all three volume of “Capital” by Markz and Kengel, history’s greatest men.

ksp1-016.png

Mission Day 481

Comrade Kerman now know half of “Capital” volume 1 by heart. Also he has adjusted orbit to lower than Eve orbit, this allow him easier transfer to Eve*.

*I think it’s easier, then again I am using mechjeb to do an automated transfer (and only that, every other thing, even turning retrograde, was done manually) and it kind of fails to do it from a higher orbit than Eve’s. Yeah screw me for letting the machine do all the work, but even with protractor I have something like a 1 to 20 successful to failed interplanetary transfers ratio. Surprisingly enough the successful attempt was my first ever, I have no idea while that one worked and the others didn’t, even using the same damn craft.

ksp1-017.png

Mission Day 574

Kelwro computer prove socialist electronics superior in space flight, Aurora-4 now on rendezvous trajectory! Comrade Kerman celebrates successful burn into right trajectory with 24 hour long, televised live transmission of him reciting Capital volume 1 from memory to school children across Polant!

ksp1-018.png

ksp1-019.png

Beautiful rendezvous arching trajectory, made possible by best of Polant’s physicist and programmer minds working together on Kelwro software team!

ksp1-021.png

Comrade Kerman begins burn to enter Eve orbit at forty five thousand kilometer from Eve, closest distance Kerbals ever been to other planet in history! Planet even already visible to naked eye from this distance.

ksp1-022.png

ksp1-023.png

Five hundred five kilometer to surface, Comrade Bill engage atomic motor to make circle orbit allowing greater choice of landing site.

ksp1-024.png

Beautiful surface of alien world visible clearly for first time to Kerbal kind! Pilot discover what looks like large seas or oceans, not sure what it made of yet. Will require further inspection for expansion of scientific knowledge. Already great day for Kerbal cosmos wisdom advancement.

ksp1-025.png

ksp1-026.png

Brave pilot of proletariat puts rocket vessel into deorbiting trajectory. Cosmoplane will enter Eve atmosphere on six hundred and four day of mission. Comrade Kerman remember entirety 3 volumes of Capital now, recites chapters during sleep.

ksp1-027.png

ksp1-028.png

Aurora-4 interplanetary vessel no longer needed. “Latajacy Lenin” orbiter separates from it and increases distance by short nuclear thruster burst. Aurora-4 expected to crash into Eve as it on suborbital trajectory.

ksp1-029.png

ksp1-030.png

ksp1-031.png

“Latajacy Lenin” send back stunning images of Eve via radio link. Astronomers of Socialist and even Capitalist countries gaze in amazement. Much knowledge gained this day, all thanks to brilliant men of Polantish rocket science!

ksp1-033.png

Comrade Kerman points cosmoplane nose up to increase drag, this expected to lower velocity to safe level. Eve atmosphere much thicker than anticipated, scientists of world amazed by discovery.

Unfortunately lack of necessary instruments makes scientists unable to determine composition or temperature of atmospheric gas mixture, suggest Comrade Kerman exit vehicle and take off suit to see for himself and report back what he smell and feel.

ksp1-034.png

Radar detect falling Aurora-4 vessel, due to successful aerobreaking Aurora-4 get ahead of cosmoplane despite being behind it earlier, proves Polantish aeronautics engineers right about atmosphere slowing down cosmoplane.

ksp1-035.png

Atmosphere very thick, craft moving mere 419 meter per second now, aerobraking huge success! Pilot prepare to put cosmoplane into controlled flight for betterment of socialist aeronautics.

ksp1-036.png

Eighteen kilometer to surface, comrade Kerman spot mysterious lake or sea, mission control order to investigate up close.

ksp1-037.png

Pilot fire nuclear engine to help level craft, generate lift and steer it towards mysterious liquid. Scientist worldwide wet garments in anticipation.

ksp1-038.png

Cosmoplane now achieve powered flight in Eve atmosphere, great victory for socialist aeronautics. Pilot lower thrust, craft used up 75% of fuel tank.

ksp1-040.png

Pilot reports he out of fuel. Mission control respond “no gas station near, glide to target”. Comrade acknowledge order, attempts glide to liquid of mystery.

ksp1-041.png

Pool pretty far however comrade confident machine can get to it.

ksp1-042.png

ksp1-043.png

More spectacular image of surface from lower altitude, scientific community cheer upon seeing pictures.

ksp1-044.png

Body of fluid now closer, many cross fingers in hope Comrade succeeds in reaching it.

ksp1-045.png

ksp1-046.png

Another great victory for Space Agency of Polant! Socialism give world images of alien lake up close, comrade Gierek promise even capitalist community of science get access to data, for betterment of world knowledge and inter-kerbal friendship.

ksp1-047.png

ksp1-048.png

Mission control order Pilot to land in lake for better understanding of unknown liquid. Comrade Kerman eager to perform task.

ksp1-049.png

ksp1-050.png

ksp1-051.png

Eve liquid is in fact liquid! Major discovery expanding knowledge of cosmos!

ksp1-053.png

ksp1-054.png

Rigid Polantish construction proves insufficient against extreme forces at landing in liquid. Only cockpit with Pilot survive splashdown. Comrade Kerman exists to further investigate fluid*.

*Actually I wanted him to use his jetpack to try to fly to shore, that kind of backfired.

ksp1-055.png

Pilot cover much distance swimming. Based on reports, scientists think liquid be molten Lead or molten Silver or Mercury or Platinum. Maybe water, nobody can be certain as Pilot lack chemical set. Future Polantish mission supposed to carry one to planets.

ksp1-056.png

Pilot swims far, contact lost after he swim five hundred meter away from drifting cosmoplane wreckage. Presumed dead, awarded every medal posthumously, each one twice. His work for betterment of Kerbal Cosmos Exploration remembered by future generations until end of universe*.

*Actually I wanted to swim him to shore, unfortunately I decided to continue that tomorrow or something as it would take an hour or more of holding down W (found some things to do that for me). Then I realized that he disappears if I press end flight. A pity, would have attempted to send a rescue mission.

I wonder if Burning Bridges has more exploits to share.

Oesophagus

Arcane
That planet is what I imagine Solaris looks like.

:salute: to kamraci from potato. However, since this was Gierek's mission, I imagine we'll be paying it off for the next 50 years

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom