Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's get level drained dry! Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession LP

Gord

Arcane
During this LP we found out that 1.2 has a bug, that prevents you from entering a certain house needed for the main quest line, so I had to roll back down to 1.1. I say, start with 1.2 and do the same if that bug happens for you too. Oh, and bows don't work in CD version, so keep that in mind.

Did you switch back to 1.2 afterwards?
Guess I can do without bows, although an archer in the 2nd row might be tempting. I take it that negative plane protection is a good replacement for (initially) missing restore spells?

I never thought about switching back. Maybe I should.

:hmmm:

NPP is a must. It's no fun playing with a 1/1 HP level 1 characters.

mondblut

Arcane
The game looks pretty cool, somehow I have that urge to play it now.
Which version (Abandonia 1.1? or CD 1.2) would you recommend?

I'm playing the CD version and that's what I recommend you to play too, according to the internets:
The CD-ROM version differs from the floppy version in several aspects. There is full digitized speech throughout, additional cinematics, and more detailed renditions of the monsters. There is also an additional quest in the game - the paladin's quest which will send your party to the lesser catacombs beneath Barovia.

During this LP we found out that 1.2 has a bug, that prevents you from entering a certain house needed for the main quest line, so I had to roll back down to 1.1. I say, start with 1.2 and do the same if that bug happens for you too. Oh, and bows don't work in CD version, so keep that in mind.

I dunno about the versions floating over the interwebz nowadays, but back in the day, most of the supposed bugs (like NPCs always leaving the party and disappearing forever whenever you reenter the village of Barovia) were caused by a faulty crack. Last time I was playing RL1 some decade ago, it was the proper cd version, and I don't remember being unable to enter any houses, let alone ones critical for the plot (hint: I completed the game :) ). Never tried bows though. So try doing it the oldschool way maybe, entering passwords from manual and shit?

Part VIII: Empires rise and fall, but evil is eternal

xhl4g5t.png

Our journey through the fog starts with a cutscene.

rKhdDhh.png

Actually, the whole journey is a cutscene. I don't control anything.

U5wlJhw.png

ZwMNeNc.png

We arrived... somewhere.

ZTdYsch.png

It isn't very good in the dark, dark wood...

vuHph7B.png

Immediately we're attacked by treants.

5rx05UV.png

A whole bunch of 'em!

B0PWzdF.png

They are not very strong individually, but let them surround you and you're as good as dead.

tnpVq9h.png

It took me a few tries to clear this corner. From here we can launch a full-scale anti-treant campaign.

prhokzG.png

Other than treants, this place has some weird portals that teleport you around this area. They also shoot lightning bolts for some reason.

dcOV0xv.png

There is something in the middle of this stone ring...

lLff8f0.png

A Seed of Morninglord, eh? What would HHR say...

DcWYKHI.png

There are four smaller stone rings inside a bigger one. It's... It's just like that thing Sasha's scroll were talking about!

...each circle of four waits within the greater ring,-- waits for the planting of the seeds. Aye, for only the seeds of divine light, of Lathander Morninglord, when placed to rest within the inner circles may free the prize...

Looks like we need to get four seeds.

n57GEyq.png

The second seed was found nearby...

LtqrSWT.png

...but it was the last item on this map!

:hmmm:

I had no idea what to do for a while.

8GEegLu.png

But after going through a bunch of portals something strange happened.

ADRuZor.png

The location is the same, but there are new items lying around :?

oVrFjkM.png

And enemies are alive and kicking too!

rnHXE2Q.png

Tjvqpf7.png

We got two more seeds, so we're now all set.

ut4W5qZ.png

Stone ring here got a tree in the middle.

asuI87U.png

As we place the last seed...

ruUOlc1.png

Yeap, the Symbol is ours.

ydXofBP.png

That's how it works.

:thumbsup:

XQW2cNu.png

With this device at hand, we're now ready to confront Strahd.

qdhq21l.png

NmZ6U6J.png

The only problem is that I have no idea where to go looking for him.

i8PSnfP.png

With the help from cluebook, I learned that I've missed a few rooms on the third floor :oops:

06NVxf9.png

Or maybe they were inaccessible? I dunno.

A6oKh9R.png

On our way there we also found a few missed reading materials.

OX5X3hM.png

HjecrHa.png

They are not that relevant though.

DGy5oBz.png

What's important is this fancy looking lock.

CuYSco8.png

WVuwfhm.png

They key that opens it is hidden behind the secret door on the first floor.

467d3Fr.png

It's also heavily guarded.

o1TR0iz.png

uoFVwaf.png

Golems are as deadly as they were last time.

IZMzFq2.png

So I lure them one by one to the stairs and deploy the old tactics.

8S7f2E8.png

The Blood Bat Key is ours, but it took us a lot of time to kill those golems. Also, in the heat of a battle Glorianna lost her throwing knife somehow. No way am I going to fight golems again, so screw the knife.

m53zQXY.png

Behind the locked door we found a card and a stairway.

0TSUwq3.png

1. One gem whose blush is deeper than the setting sun's; a stone of red and fiery cut whose value outweighs a fortune in precious gold.
2. A finely crafted elven piece, into the encircling beauty of which have been worked the purest ores of white gold, gold, or platinum.
3. The feather of a wereraven.

4. "The Mists," a card from a Vistani seer's Tarokka deck.
5. A symbol of truth, honor, and religious devotion, but one stolen from its rightful owner, then set free from evil hands. Only then will this item --when combined with the other four-- release its holy power and awaken the forces of the Catalogue.

cEK9P8m.png

:salute:

bLE3L69.png

WbY6pGE.png

So we descended all the way down to the dungeon.

oIgZPEv.png

Hmmm, what's that in the distance?

LGlYDrN.png

OH FUCK NO DO NO WANT

:rage:

HRRIiYP.png

At this point I was close to ragequiting, because, well, fuck golems. Seriously, fuck zombie golems. But then something magical happened. I clicked on 'Turn Undead' and... The golem started spinning like a ballet dancer, while we were beating the hell out of it. This totally made my day.

IQJoRtd.png

With our morale restored, we continue exploration of this dungeon.

1Ey88Sh.png

I feel that we're getting close.

ly0x5nd.png

bX5X6PC.png

So in this hall we have a few crypts, of which we can enter all but one. There is nothing too exciting inside the crypts, some scrolls, some vampires, no biggie. Outside the crypts we encountered a few zombie golems, but Turn Undead worked flawlessly.

QkLt0EV.png

There are three exits from this room.

X2JAfqp.png

8uYAoQT.png

Two of them lead into a small rooms, to which we shall return later, the third one is surrounded by invisible teleporters, so we can't use it.

LBYjbGg.png

I wandered into another part of the dungeon, but there wasn't anything useful.

12Zd30g.png

A few potions, some gear. Meh.

mlBPEQh.png

Ok, so back to the small rooms I've mentioned earlier.

dxkilVl.png

Both of these rooms have a button.

vId7oWH.png

Pressing both buttons opens a previously locked crypt.

p9GMroo.png

Inside the crypt is another teleporter that moves us right to the third exit.

2WEtcj7.png

We keep going south.

kjFlmmt.png

And after a few doors...

gYMh6Iz.png

PgcJ85C.png

Uh-oh.

eKOWwYi.png

pl0xxp8.png

DmK9odM.png

rRifrqX.png
How dare you show the villagers that anyone, ANYONE can contest the evil of this land. It is a dangerous example. Yet even as you cut your blundering swath of justice through Barovia, never were you closer to your goal than now. The amulet! Yes, the amulet that began your quest is here before you at the end. I, Strahd, have held Lord Dhelt's prize from the first night you arrived.
rRifrqX.png
Smile I say! Smile while I work your fate!
6hmseCy.png
Lord Strahd, I shall smile. Indeed, I shall, but not in time for you to see, I'm afraid. Do you recognize the Holy Symbol of Ravenkind?
rRifrqX.png
What... Yes, I recognize Ravenkind's prized Holy Symbol. Why do you think you are here if not to deliver it up to me? Now die and waste no more of my time. Whatever bauble you hold will be mine no more than a moment from now.
6hmseCy.png
I recognize you now, you played the burgomaster's man in the caverns beneath the Ivlis. Did you enjoy your jest?
rRifrqX.png
I enjoy all jests immensely. I have enjoyed the joke of your tottering, feeble adventure in my land. But the comfort of laughter fades as my impatience grows.

IfzAhMx.png

And just like that, the final battle begins.

mZUk0Lh.png

Strahd is teleporting around the room, throwing fireballs at us.

abo94vp.png

8qPgPJh.png

So the goal here is to avoid getting killed and shoot at him with the Holy Symbol, duh.

eQRvFM2.png

:desu:

JXvtK46.png

2jluWSS.png

Sometimes he goes melee.

rGXAzIa.png

0yVX8nG.png

We're running around like mad.

tq2xqhy.png

It takes 3-4 pew-pews from the Symbol to finish him off.

UPe7ph4.png

He's gone! This battle wasn't too hard, but very actiony.

O3rn73u.png

Strahd has left us something.

ACru5dI.png

:yeah:

OXokNz8.png

1. One gem whose blush is deeper than the setting sun's; a stone of red and fiery cut whose value outweighs a fortune in precious gold.
2. A finely crafted elven piece, into the encircling beauty of which have been worked the purest ores of white gold, gold, or platinum.
3. The feather of a wereraven.
4. "The Mists," a card from a Vistani seer's Tarokka deck.

5. A symbol of truth, honor, and religious devotion, but one stolen from its rightful owner, then set free from evil hands. Only then will this item --when combined with the other four-- release its holy power and awaken the forces of the Catalogue.

:incline:

iVGZiCh.png

I guess this is it. Malack equips the Catalogue...

6hmseCy.png
So now what? Do we have to go with the "I regret" routine?
18SubNM.png
No, not at all. It's all automatic these days.
6hmseCy.png
Oh, great, I just hope this thing will teleport us home and not somewhere else.
18SubNM.png
You know, bro, if there's one thing I've learned, it's this: nobody knows what's gonna happen at the end of the line, so you might as well enjoy the trip.

VktBpuD.png

*click*

:P

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Well done! Ah, sweet Tatyana, the ass that launched a thousand ships... Uhm, or somesuch.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Grats on finishing the LP!
At this point I was close to ragequiting, because, well, fuck golems. Seriously, fuck zombie golems. But then something magical happened. I clicked on 'Turn Undead' and... The golem started spinning like a ballet dancer, while we were beating the hell out of it. This totally made my day.
Turn Undead rock. Also, I rock. :smug:
Strahd is teleporting around the room, throwing fireballs at us.
I think someone in the devteam had been playing too much Castlevania.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Such an awesome LP I have this game along with Menzoberranzan and Stone Prophet and Dark Sun and I do remember having finished it but seems I have forgotten more than half of it.
I do recall them beign fun and since I was such a huge fan of the Ravenloft setting that I would have liked the game had it been mediocre but it was pretty good actually
Any plans to do a LP of Stone Prophet or Menzo?

SenTerran

Barely Literate
I just got this game and I'm new to Dungeons and Dragons rules and party based games. I'm going to go through all three Ravenloft games. I'm just going to give a bit of advice about Strahd's Possession as a nub:
  • There is a goddamn reason they throw 3 mage party members at you. You need at least one but two would be better. There are just enemies you just can't melee or it would just suck.
  • Tatian is irredeemably bad. I looked at her stats and knew she was fairly awful but took her anyway because she didn't look (herp derpp) like Fhalken. As a result the start of the game was pointlessly much harder.
  • I'm yet to find a reason to have a Thief. Forget missiles, the seem tedious at best and ineffective at worst. There are no locks that don't have a key.
  • Level draining mobs.... oh the level draining mob.... How was level drain EVER a good idea? How is it even practical? I know I'm playing a game with elves in it but surely even by the rules of their own universe... Oh the undead touched me, I seem to have forgotten everything I did for the past 3 days..... In other words, a Cleric, mages, wands, you need some of these things.
Still a good game. Just things to look out for.

Oh yeah, I knew about that one. I guess I got distracted by "Dungeons and Dragons rules and party based games".

:roll:

The original music can be heard in Strahd and Vistani Camp videos and for the most part of the final video. Both Castle Ravenloft videos had the same music as the Strahd one I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom