Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's get level drained dry! Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession LP

lightbane

Arcane
Bump for the BUMP GOD!

Part III: Betrayal at Barovia

Last time, Strahd asked us to search for some kind of a portal in the caverns to the west of Barovia. And that's exactly what we're going to do.

ccpzoQy.png

Only one exit goes west.

mDpI5w0.png

ArcInz0.png

bonLGyJ.png

This is a small area with a lonely hut to the south, cavern entrance to the west and not much else.

hJ4Qkyi.png

Its fauna consists mostly of bats. Skeletal bats.

1dsmbMa.png

We'll go into the hut first.

U3dMVE0.png

p02czT3.png

VHufiiv.png
How are you today, sir? There aren't many with the courage to live alone out here... Not that I've seen.
3d9aapz.png
And what do you see? What can you see beyond light, beyond dust motes stirred in some corner near a window, or some brief flash in the sky which frightens you to the bone? While I see the echo of your thoughts and hear the scent of your fear. Ah, you think me mad, but magic does that, doesn't it? I am mad with magic.
9K4cgW1.png
My strange-speaking friend, if you are a mage, what are you doing in this meager hut near the Ivlis?
3d9aapz.png
Where should I be, sitting beside some Burgomaster's fireplace in an over-stuffed chair as though I were his property or his prize, or squandering my powers to maintain a household of my own? No, I sit here, happy in the rich cathedral of my mind. I observe the rule of excellence; I am ready for anything; I am waiting for you.
QT3AmHc.png
Perhaps you would think more clearly if you walked the trail awhile. Would you take the air at my side?

If he's going with us - you're out of the team. Remember that.

3d9aapz.png
Of course. You are, after all, not here to serve me but to serve destiny. Wherever I go with you, it will be as it must, and I in turn will learn whatever it is you are here to teach me. Oh, don't worry if you don't understand. Even, I, a great and powerful wizard, do not understand. I only do what the day requires.

tlCYSO1.png

He has more INT than Glorianna, that's true, but he also lacks boobs knowledge of Identify spell, so we'll leave him alone for now. Maybe later, dunno.

QT3AmHc.png
Perhaps you should stay here and keep your weird ramblings to yourself.
3d9aapz.png
It hardly matters. You will return when the wave you are riding reaches its peak. Destiny will direct you. Then, without thought, with neither hesitation nor concern you will return here and ask if I might walk the trail with you. At that time I will answer in the affirmative and we will be about the business of the most powerful magic I know: destiny.

I like his style though :salute:

ATJUeZh.png

As soon as we get out of the hut, we're attacked by a group of bats. But not just bats this time!

Iqgw6kq.png

HURR IMA WERWUFL

lsHBJbV.png

DURR

f39JV31.png

After a reload we headed towards the caverns.

JzeNLD9.png

A familiar face.

HEMkOye.png

VHufiiv.png
Surely the day is not as glum as the expression in your eyes would have it?
AfbtiOK.png
What my eyes may say is beyond my control, much as I would wish otherwise. Even so, I do not recall giving you permission to greet me, eye to eye. Thus unless you are graced with a magic powerful enough to breach the caverns beneath yon river, turn at once. Leave my sight.
9K4cgW1.png
To camp alone in this dread territory is foolish. For your own safety, would you join us as we tour the caverns beneath the Ivlis?
AfbtiOK.png
For safety's sake I laugh at you. Yet I am here because I have not found the path which will allow me within the caverns. Should I trust you? I have but one goal, to leave this malodorous and filthy land! Somewhere in those subterranean passages lies a portal. Where it will take me, I know not. But if you help me reach it, yes, I will join you.
QT3AmHc.png
We believe we can enter the caverns. The question is, can you guide us to the portal?
AfbtiOK.png
It can be found. How fortunate our encounter, that by chance I have means to enter the place, that chamber where the portal lies. True, I am loathe to join any party I do not lead, but if you open the caverns to me, I will follow. Though heed these words, that without me the portal shall remain inaccessible to you, forever!
VHufiiv.png
Irmgarde, whether give grudgingly or not, your assistance is welcome! One thing appears true, that we shall not find our way through the portal in the caverns without you, alive and well, and at our sides.

A554mjK.png

Meh, don't think we need another cleric that much. Besides, I don't like her attitude. If you don't like being in our party, we'll do without you just fine... bitch.
:rpgcodex:

f6kJLZY.png

xQAVboT.png

Using the key that Strahd gave us.

79GRV4A.png

This fellow totally blocks our path so we totally can't avoid talking to him. Totally.

3nOivO4.png

S5DoDZj.png
Friend, I must ask you: what are you about in this dark artery beneath the Ivlis?
UUDMAo0.png
Because so few dare to venture here does not make us friends. I am neither your friend nor your enemy, but I may be willing to bargain. You see, I know you, or know of you. I share your goals. You can, as it were, trust me. As we wander these caverns together, you will come to know me as a man of constant resolution, one well suited to become your... partner.
VHufiiv.png
If we may be so bold as to ask. In your travels in these caverns, have you encountered... anything unusual?
UUDMAo0.png
The existence of the caverns themselves, lying beneath the dark Ivlis is 'unusual.' For my part, I am seeking a portal of sorts, rumored to exist. Thieves may use it to travel between Ravenloft and a kingdom known as Elturel. If true, their back and forth wanderings bring untaxed wealth into the land. As an agent of the Burgomaster, I must join your band to assure that you are not so engaged.
9K4cgW1.png
Sir, do you know your way about these caverns?
UUDMAo0.png
One might as well toss coins into lake Zarovich as speak freely in this harsh, unblinking world of ours. Still, having met you here, there may be some good we can do for one another. I posit you this case: allow this stranger you've met in the caverns to join you --under close watch if necessary-- and I will reveal my knowledge when it seems profitable. I insist!
QT3AmHc.png
Whatever your reason, to journey alone in these caverns shows great courage. Will you join us?
UUDMAo0.png
Your courage too has not gone unnoticed. At first I believed you a thief or worse, but your manner reveals otherwise. It is well that I have met you, and perhaps as we travel together our separate purposes will become one. We can talk and learn much of one another's plans.

nzhWbjy.png

vii4GKn.png

We can't go deeper without him, so dumping him is not an option.

bxuyGdz.png

Fhalken went home nekkid.

1R5fOFG.png

Skeletons are by far the most common source of danger in this dungeon. They are really weak though.

wuetKwx.png

As you can see, there are also lightning traps.

82EE1CG.png

N2CAYvN.png

And what dungeon would be complete without a locked door or two?

EiX5gZ4.png

s84K3nf.png

Some doors, like this one, are opened by pulling a lever.

5Rcx8wi.png

rP8J05K.png

We were enjoying a casual walk when suddenly...

:what:

Fucking scary.

At about 1:40 mark :M

5uMxcgc.png

Tons of loot, but nothing too exciting.

0BMxSij.png

A dead end... Or is it?

IycEkzm.png

Uh-oh. Teleporters!

VHufiiv.png
Most unusual, but these caverns do not seem to be connected by tunnels. They are definitely not of Dwarven origin. Our excavations are quite different.

jOTzBJS.png

One careless step and we're teleported back to the beginning. Eh, I wanted to go there anyway.

ScUywxO.png

9PV40YW.png

N0qEoSZ.png

Remains of a less fortunate adventurer. Among the other things, there is a journal:

caR06QF.png

5bbDIyX.png

Just a few steps to the east a key was found.

bTYgVDH.png

We rush to the nearest locked door.

q2pzy15.png

Another teleporter was waiting behind it.

TtFOaIQ.png

3v1HpDz.png

Another locked door, but the key fits.

MekVurT.png

This thing is scary as fuck. It hits hard, has a ton of HPs and also can paralyze you.

a7P75Ul.png

T25Hugo.png

zmmWRyl.png

After a few reloads we manage to kill it though.
:thumbsup:

C1E2vjN.png

Turns out it was guarding another key.

EMombXA.png

After that the pattern of teleporting, opening a door, fighting a bone golem and getting a new key repeats a few times.

NKvyeuN.png

aw3dSzt.png

When all is said and done, we came to this door.

w6g1uNl.png

I wonder who that might be :roll:

kNx4b5e.png

Let's grab this key lying nearby and be on our way out then.

JdwvMRP.png

UoTwsr8.png

u8AqtEI.png

Yeah, we'll need her to get through that door.

VHufiiv.png
If you know of the portal, is there any other information you should impart to us before we place ourselves at risk deep beneath the eternal waters of the Ivlis?
AfbtiOK.png
I can tell you my camp has been watched for some time now. The sense I get is of some authority, some prevailing interest which is determined to observe my progress. I wouldn't be surprised if we encountered someone in the caverns, perhaps one of the Burgomaster's men.

ZqX78m5.png

Still no way around this guy.

QT3AmHc.png
Truly, this parting comes at a thirsty time. I have every hope of making my way back to the tavern, what's it called: Blood o' the Wine, Blood of the Vine,-- something like that. Should you need my aid once more, come and buy me a tankard for luck and we'll be off again.

i0oPHzV.png

:salute:

2HPwCHM.png

No doors in sight.

:hmmm:

Oh, another illusionary wall!

Od6EAeH.png

DO NOT WANT

tRPpQyL.png

It took another reload to finish off that beast.

8QXPQiP.png

Yes!

DUkAnPN.png

OtlF8sm.png

Both Vladislav and Irmgarde are nowhere to be found.

:rage:

Let's not give into rage and gather our party first.

5lZ7VoO.png

kcRahmM.png

yz8lySF.png

Magic items are bluish in color. It has been this way since I casted Detect Magic. Probably a bug, but I'm fine with that :M

Ok, now what? I... don't know. There are two more exits from Barovia, let's check them and see if we can find anything.

HwxHUgC.png

MqbwnTI.png

hO7gFOV.png

KD9aJRV.png

3hGia9e.png

Well, that's it. We can't get inside and hunting worgs all day doesn't help anything. Let's try another route.

DUL7XXE.png

VHufiiv.png
Burgomaster's man, hah! That black hearted knight we met beneath the Ivlis would have the Burgomaster trembling before him, not the other way 'round. Whatever he was about, I should bet it represented his own best interest in these affairs. He stayed with us only long enough to fulfill his own goals, whatever they may be.

Saygrug.gif

KnqoEBD.png

Church, eh? We have a key to the entrance...

0vsQjPE.png

Let's see what inside, shall we?

iSHqgih.png

Xn6CgLm.png

Zdhx9wb.png

VHufiiv.png
If any place might shed the aura of dark, unwelcome secrets which hangs about Barovia, I had hoped this temple might be it. How foolish. There is an air of desecration here stronger than words can express.

5EgG6PV.png

:eek:

XKcekO4.png

u1x8WrK.png

Not the most talkative one, are you? Anyway, hellhounds are taken care of, so let's explore the surroundings.

u8jvegF.png

Pwetty.

Near the statue we've found a writ of instruction to the catalogue:

ToGil0B.png

:rpgcatalogue:

VHufiiv.png
Ah, we knew another path beyond this gloomy realm would present itself. Indeed, Strahd's tale of a portal in the caverns beneath the Ivlis may have been no more than a distraction. Think of it, by those words he sent us off, consumed with the idea of escaping Ravenloft. Yet our quest remained, to recover the amulet belonging to Lord Dhelt. To that task we must remain true.

OmQx1OQ.png

:desu:

mzYAe5F.png

This mirror is marked as a NPC.

PnBMbai.png

9K4cgW1.png
I never thought to see such as this, not in a church. Spirit of the mirror, can you hear me?
wnViqxK.png
Oooooh! Seeeee me. Aaaaaah, freeeee me, yeeeessss! The mirraaar. Secreeet to thaaaa meeeror.
QT3AmHc.png
Can you tell us the future, or grant wishes? Are you that sort of spirit? Or, no... Are you the spirit of this poor, magic bound priest?
wnViqxK.png
Yeeees! Oooooh! Seeeee me. Aaaaaah, freeeee me, yeeeessss! The book. Secreeet to thaaaa meeeror.

A8grkcf.png

In the next room we have found a cleric holy symbol and a Tome of Evil Artifacts and Cursed Items:

hjwLI9X.png

Why would you place such a mirror in your church in the first place?..

iiT5hEL.png

We have to go deeper.

mQMVXle.png

This level is infested with brain hungry zombies.

UVCMkdF.png

CyTlvwQ.png

rIJ0i8C.png

This key opens most of the doors here.

mcD6nMN.png

kYRdDFx.png

mkDrXQ6.png

t0VhNnS.png

If you say so.

4TKWcSA.png

S5DoDZj.png
Guard's chambers, that's what we have here. Yes, temples often hire a few mercenaries for protection. What's different here is that none have occupied these quarters for many, many years. I can tell from some of the pixels.

TxDKtTn.png

VJAy8ve.png

What's that lying on the floor?

G8rSKz5.png

What book could that be?

x2JJ06X.png

:smug:

nG7Athi.png

Zombie Lord guards another piece.

jQeVafU.png

UqJcT38.png

qeWbejO.png

In one of the rooms we've found a book named "Van Richten's Tale of Strahd":

mm1c8bq.png

Seems legit.

szhL7f9.png

This room holds another torn piece of paper:

LOGMocR.png

There is also a secret button that opens a certain door.

x8tJHJ8.png

This button.

dOjwLso.png

Behind the door lies Trimia's Catalogue. I believe it should be p. important.

8l3inCC.png

This is a fireball trap.

egs9XLG.png

And this is a locked door.

lmxL09Q.png

On the wall we have a set of buttons. One of them opens the door while the others trigger the trap. I hate this kind of puzzles :/

ZLgUgkG.png

Xt8goG8.png

The last piece of paper is ours!

EwdrW2L.png

But of course! Cock! It all falls into place now.

lwOwhrI.png

Let's get the fuck out of here!

WIWNIMy.png

Seems like a good spot to speak teh words of power.

oCQCQ5g.png

WHOOSH

1YyH7KO.png

13sld6a.png

S5DoDZj.png
We've seen the bones of another within your church. Was this the intruder who cursed you, or perhaps another of your flock?
kfTgytH.png
He was my novitiate, a devoted young man slain by Strahd the night my spirit was cast into the mirror. If only the vigor of life could be returned to his loyal bones, I'm certain he would work to bring the Count to justice. I myself am too weary from the ordeal, and I believe no mere spell can raise his dead bones. A resurrection is necessary.
QT3AmHc.png
We had thought to venture into the cemetery beside your church, but we were unable to pass its mighty gate. Is there a key?
kfTgytH.png
There is a key. Giving it to you is the only reward a poor priest can provide for the gift of his spirit.

We'll take it, thanks :salute:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Hmm... Portals. Always with the damn portals. :grumble:

The Mirror of Life Trapping: See me, feel me, touch me, heal me?

Heresiarch

Prophet
I don't know if you guys noticed, but the texture of the main UI actually changes in different places. Such a detail is completely lost in today's gaming, since every company out there are making "cinematic" games that have no UI at all...

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
What would happen if you don't bother with the cavern at all and go straight to the church? Would the game even allow you to do that?

What would happen if you don't bother with the cavern at all and go straight to the church? Would the game even allow you to do that?
To get inside the church you need this key:

kNx4b5e.png

Which is located near the cavern's last door. Still, it's possible to go into the church without stepping into the portal. Not with Irmgarde though:

55xN6Do.png

But I think the game assumes that you have used the portal anyway:

3Rcu1wK.png

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Very nice LP, keep it up! Seems that Ravenloft is absolutely crowded with half-elves - perhaps one of the devs was a big fan! The writing is really nice and fits the atmosphere!

Part IV: Ghosts of the Past

Last time we got ourselves a cemetery key. Let's make a good use of it!

a6EjqJK.png

The cemetery is just across the church.

TXUukqe.png

GUIQPh4.png

Ghoul, a first glimpse of things to come.

zYefDHv.png

GoApcKV.png

This place is just crawling with ghouls!

HjEVgYC.png

9vFrq4j.png

Ugh.

sm7CGWv.png

Well said.

KyABeLq.png

T1ij8KF.png

Vampires are even worse then ghouls :cry:

INSa43n.png

But they won't stop us from exploring this place thoroughly.

PqOiQ0o.png

qXMKLSe.png

xgxzBVJ.png

I wonder who that might be... Eh, the door is locked, so we can't get inside anyway.

GftuCx8.png

Making some progress.

N5y57XQ.png

Trying to take bloodsuckers out from the distance.

11V56k0.png

It's better not to fight too many vampires at a time :/

bMwQzZi.png

A friendly NPC.

XjGCT4s.png

krpWqLk.png
I'll agree that it takes a certain courage to rob Barovian graves. Can you thieve as well for a common goal?
JnWLMnZ.png
Join you, you mean? Aye, and the likes of you wouldn't be about robbin' graves. No, you're after somethin' more noble than the trinkets of the dead. Joinin' you, it might be I could find somethin' more noble for myself, somethin' better than this dirty trade of mine. Yes, I'll come along with you.

yXZyxWk.png

I'll pass.

fo2Ahav.png
Courage you may have, but not of a sort I'm willing to stomach. Only because your blood might stain my hands, do you stand alive.
JnWLMnZ.png
Well bless my soul. Ah, you waste! May gold always fill your purse and an honorable quest pay your way. I've survived longer than you know, and I make no apologies for my skills. When you find yourself bloodied and needful, come back on your knees.

KlYpez2.png

We continue our tomb raiding activities.

saqnAv0.png

OH SHI-

Z6en5IU.png

We tried to rush the banshee one more time, but failed again.

HusH9Ql.png

Let's mark it on the map and leave it as it is for now.

ROGQdJq.png

This Ring of Wizardry doubles level 3 spells.

s6pD0II.png

A VERY welcome addition to our loot collection :bounce:

CbKF3sL.png

Ok, so what's the deal with this Victor Grymig? Well, actually I've heard that name before. We must go back to Barovia.

g4PpQTX.png

rqVGm1l.png

Here is that house that I haven't showed you earlier.

u6IJ5eW.png

RxRH6YM.png

kuXjBAW.gif
Now I am vengeance! Unappeasable, unwilling to forgive, I have risen up to exact revenge on those who murdered us. And though I will not kill you, I will use you.
kuXjBAW.gif
He who took our lives was called Victor Grymig. In the years to follow he became rich, a powerful man capable of escaping all justice. At last, it is believed he escaped death itself and rules still from the darkness of his own tomb. Go. Go to the cemetery, and find you there a lord of ghouls, the undead murderer of my family. Destroy Grymig, or I will turn my inner appetite for vengeance upon you!
fo2Ahav.png
How did you come to this, if you were once, as you say, a humble jeweler?
kuXjBAW.gif
Thieves in the night, they came for stones, for amethyst and agate, for opal and emerald. These I gave them freely. Yet their leader, Grymig, chose a dark course and stole from us our precious lives. I begged, but it did not stay their evil hands. I have sought them all out. All are gone, save one: Grymig, the ghoul lord.
pOttcPk.png
Will you release us from your influence once we have done as you command?
kuXjBAW.gif
Some humanity remains in this, my fearsome presence! Yes, destroy the ghoul lord and you are free. Further, I will share with you a secret. Go now. Fight, live, and return!

hp5VzTX.png

jYm6c2W.png

WIdXGZa.png

MPXuFKk.png

Not sure if this has any penalties.

5Osh2sl.png

He also left us key.

SdxuHnx.png

Y3lU2QH.png

YeoFINb.png

Victor goes down, like, real fast.

DKocPcN.png

Rebirth, eh?

iMsyNOa.png

There were some bones in the church that required resurrection... Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

mU6K0jx.png

We also got a pouch of golden dust out of the deal.

oI9PdpR.png

:yeah:

Let's go to Barovia then, and on our way back to the cemetery, we'll visit the church.

TcWOEN0.png

The key fits.

We0h0oP.png

A shiny.

8hHU9Kd.png

1. One gem whose blush is deeper than the setting sun's; a stone of red and fiery cut whose value outweighs a fortune in precious gold.
2. A finely crafted elven piece, into the encircling beauty of which have been worked the purest ores of white gold, gold, or platinum.
3. The feather of a wereraven.
4. "The Mists," a card from a Vistani seer's Tarokka deck.
5. A symbol of truth, honor, and religious devotion, but one stolen from its rightful owner, then set free from evil hands. Only then will this item --when combined with the other four-- release its holy power and awaken the forces of the Catalogue.

:incline:

To the church now!

W1InwNz.png

t5uwQRl.png

Im32iks.png
Lost spirit, by the powers of the Holy Multi-Headed Dick, I command thee to come forth from the cold grip of decline and to incline this pile of bones!

kQHaukp.png

It worked!

lPYjWFw.png

fo2Ahav.png
By whose hand were you stripped to cursed bone? Who did this foul deed?
gMhLiBd.png
It was Strahd! You must understand, he is no civil and ordinary Count, no mere lord. Strahd is death itself. He is a vampire, a nosferatu, a creature of solitary evil who feeds on the blood of men,-- and of women! This land will know peace only if he is destroyed, and I will gladly join any efforts in that regard.
krpWqLk.png
What events led up to this fate: your flesh, guts, and tissues brushed aside like dust, leaving your enduring bones?
gMhLiBd.png
Know this: I suspected our Lord Strahd of being a vampire, and so I stole into Castle Ravenloft while the sun burned bright, intent to destroy him! How can I describe the raw, coarse, and scabrous evil, the horror of Strahd's minions as they attacked me? It is impossible. I barely escaped with my life. Yet when I reached the church, dusk had drawn its veil across the land and Strahd was there!

vKhduJZ.png

krpWqLk.png
How could you, a priest, have gone to Castle Ravenloft uninvited and alone? I can't believe you had a key?
gMhLiBd.png
Exactly! North of Barovia lies a barrier, a gate beyond which a path snakes its way to Strahd's castle. I possess the key to that gate; even in death I hid it beyond Strahd's recovery. I know not what quest you are about, but as certain as the rising sun, whatever you seek is in that castle. Believe it! Strahd controls, watches, and holds all information and all things of value in the land.

He can join our party, but I don't think we need another cleric. At this point, I don't I think we need any changes at all!

IGd77mI.png

It seems a little early to go to Castle Ravenloft, so we'll go to the cemetery and try to deal with the banshee first.

eoyO6Qa.png

3oHzrve.png

Another failed attempt to kill it :roll: Well, let's try to do something smarter than just rushing in.

TiLMsPT.png

In death our sister wards below,
Secure in this, her lover's tomb,
Her voice an angry, grieving shadow raised
To avenge her lover's doom.

Her cry, a wail through all eternity
Doth shriek, doth slay the intruding foe,
At this place where evil jealousy
Did deal the evil blow!

In death, elves to Avernaith must go,
But this our prince denied,
So here, with faith, through darkest fate
We stand watch in immortal pride.

Dust to dust, our blessing gains
A magic to calm our sister's soul,
And then below, seek out the sign
That to Avernaith will release us all!

Dust, eh? We have some golden dust...

I've tried using it on the banshee, but it didn't worked :M

Yhq67ME.png

Let's use it here.

KRL7ZGD.png

pQhqsnN.png

1EVfaQM.png

pOttcPk.png
The gift of dust is yours. Now, please hear our words. May we, in turn, receive the gift of your blessing?
5ielNWs.png
Your offering reveals your heart, and my blessing I bestow upon you freely. Hear me though, for my sister awaits your presentation. Both she and I beg with pleading hearts for your assistance. Aid, if you can, the warrior whose uneasy soul awaits below.

There is another statue nearby, but we're out of dust.

4SwXB9k.png

A quick glance at the map reveals a yellow dot near the eastern edge of the map.

bUWzgjA.png

Yup, it's dust.

PRR9taf.png

krpWqLk.png
Elven spirit, how may we gain your blessing?
xpQB5FJ.png
Speak not of blessings before the story in its breadth unfolds. To find yet another doorway to the truth, my twin holds a second key.
Im32iks.png
We have spoken with the other guardian, your twin. She has given us her blessing. May we, in turn, receive the gift of yours?
xpQB5FJ.png
Your gift of dust reveals the purity of your thoughts, and my blessing I bestow upon you eagerly. Together with my twin, I beg with pleading heart for your assistance. Please help the warrior whose uneasy soul awaits below.

sen9WCT.png

Banshee is gone :incline:

pvTMetX.png

G2MtbBc.png

icexX1V.png

Looking good.

YWPsUe6.png

krpWqLk.png
The banshee that guards your tomb, is she related to the twins outside? One of them mentioned their weeping sister.
H4NtaLh.png
Yes, they are the three glorious sisters of the House of Etenkraal. The groaning spirit was she with whom my prince and I both fell in love. But I loved my prince too, as my brother, and I could deny him nothing. So I left home, wandering, coming after a time to Barovia as part of Strahd's conquering army. She followed. Ah, how she sought me out, for she loved me more than my princely brother.
pOttcPk.png
You will see we are not without pity for your tortured and imprisoned soul. How may we help?
H4NtaLh.png
My prince caused my death. He drew a Ba'al Verzi blade and plunged it through my heart. In jealousy, he slew the woman we both loved and thus sealed her fate, to wail within this horrid tomb. To aid us, find my family signet, a locket of sorts, hidden in the chambers below. It holds the key to our release and our journey to elven peace in Avernaith. For the gift of that peace, I will reward you well. Go now, and succeed!

5QS5jPc.png

Enemies here are werebats and wights.

krsdJHS.png

They don't seem to be too scary.

PFsg17G.png

Or so I thought. Then I noticed something...

a7y0CLG.png

xWe8n3D.png

PPpAr4H.png

9miswz5.png

cVAmoP5.gif

Ikf1m0i.png

AX9dnin.png

:hahano:

This calls for a reload and a change of tactics.

iJHbUsZ.png

Turns out we were already somewhat level drained from the vampire fights in the cemetery. From now on we'll be casting Negative Plane Protection on our front line fighters and trying to deal with wights from the distance. Oh, and we'll be abusing resting HARD.

2BON2ko.png

DP58t6O.png

This reminds me that I haven't tried using undead slaying arrows yet and now I don't have a bow with me. There should be one in the tavern, so maybe I'll try it next time.

VIpQOnl.png

MZc2cAA.png

^ That's what I'm talking about. Notice that due to the Ring of Wizardry we now have six spells ready :incline:

LgSoIyo.png

ORIyDUm.png

ausBSxw.png

Slowly getting our XP back.

3dwES53.png

As you can see, there is a locked door and four other doors without any visible way to open them.

ozELCls.png

This button opens one of the doors:

v3cvJz6.png

Behind each of these four doors lies a teleporter.

P2Kr70i.png

Each teleporter brings you to a location with:

fEDP6o3.png

(a) Pyre Elemental,

DLQki96.png

(very tough enemy, by the way)

oWsGWv6.png

(b) a bunch of wights,

IjU4pqt.png

(c) a button that opens a door to the next teleporter, and (d) a teleporter that gets you back to the main location.

eAzB6Sg.png

While teleporting back and forth we found a Ring of Free Action.

K9ZGSUE.png

In the end we found a key.

Tt9b53x.png

UpKTpvq.png

Behind the locked door was a small army of wights and the entrance to the next level.

MMKNuKo.png

AneCOTE.png

Ifxfd5D.png

This level is full of Specters and Pyre Elementals, both are very formidable foes.

cp3cF6w.png

9VFHBGC.png

Dhccnwi.png

This time I just went full retard with Lightning Bolting enemies and resting afterwards. Much safer and faster this way.
Deal with it.

Ap89fUh.png

Oh, nice.

Z3SDyVp.png

I gave it to Malack.

knMhwvt.png

sYyn3sx.png

So, we're just wandering around, collecting loot and pressing some buttons that don't seem to do anything (but they actually do).

aknFpLi.png

K4l88F1.png

Unnecessary mazy section.

msRmnlU.png

We got teleported into this room.

gicpKZ9.png

There is an illusionary wall behind each of these banners.

BZeejvU.png

And behind one of those walls we found a key :incline:

aV95FEq.png

gkoPIY0.png

Got ourselves a Bag of Holding.

:love:

xz8OoH2.png

Nothing else to see here, let's go back to the beginning of the level.

dIdcnmn.png

Turns out those strange buttons are used to open these doors. Cool.

S4M54VP.png

And here is a use for that key we found earlier.

K0h262O.png

sAz3uLz.png

What's this?

F3DVUei.png

An elven signet, eh? Just what we've been looking for. Let's get back to our ghostbro.

KbfcvdW.png

dyYrz0J.png

pOttcPk.png
Is it true then? After low these many years, will you be able to leave here and find your way to elven paradise?
H4NtaLh.png
Aye, great friend! You have freed not only my tortured soul, but that of the groaning spirit and her sisters. We go to Avernaith, that place of beauty hidden away from all but elves. It is a place of wooded glories, where our love may once again be achieved, and all things are possible. Avernaith will grant us the pleasure of forgetting the depths of this horrid prison and our prince's low deceit.

rOfnGkw.png

:desu:

SiQFbZN.png

gfT0ASN.png

We got an Ancient Elven Sword +2, Ancient Elven Shield, Ancient Elven Plate Mail +2 and Ancient Elven Plate Helm +1.

GiDvQun.png

rVALdPj.png

Niiice. Oh, there is also an Ancient Elven Crown! And you know what that means?

1. One gem whose blush is deeper than the setting sun's; a stone of red and fiery cut whose value outweighs a fortune in precious gold.
2. A finely crafted elven piece, into the encircling beauty of which have been worked the purest ores of white gold, gold, or platinum.
3. The feather of a wereraven.
4. "The Mists," a card from a Vistani seer's Tarokka deck.
5. A symbol of truth, honor, and religious devotion, but one stolen from its rightful owner, then set free from evil hands. Only then will this item --when combined with the other four-- release its holy power and awaken the forces of the Catalogue.

Erebus

Arcane
Nice ! This game really has a lot of undead monsters (not surprising, given the setting), but it nevertheless doesn't seem repetitive.

11V56k0.png

Strange that you can encounter vampires by day (even if the day is less than sunny).

Is Turn Undead useful ? From what I remember, it's not supposed to work so well in Ravenloft.

mondblut

Arcane
You have that magic throwing dagger of returning. Why would you need anything else? :D

Seriously, I went through all that level-draining cemetery and crypt without getting scratched once, just shooting that dagger of infinite throws as if this were Doom.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
You seem to be making some nice progress so far:thumbsup:

I take it that there's no way to restore drained levels? That kinda sucks.

Yeah, I don't see any restoration spells in the manual. But screw XP, I can grind it if needed. How do I restore Fhalken's CON - that's a true mystery.

Heresiarch

Prophet
The only thing to help against level draining is Negative Plane Protection. I'd found it truly insane for a Ravenloft game it doesn't have ANY restoration spell.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The only thing to help against level draining is Negative Plane Protection. I'd found it truly insane for a Ravenloft game it doesn't have ANY restoration spell.
Well, the whole point of Ravenloft is having a sense of fear and hopelessness. If players can just magic away all threats then that is sort of gone. That's why priests and paladins were sort of gimped in the original 2e setting, as they would have made things to easy in their original forms.

Part V: Suffer not the furry to live

r5ZZG2Z.png

What a mess.

TFAKbI3.png

After a few hours of rearranging stuff it looks like this now. Sooo, we could go to the Castle Ravenloft, but I'd like to draw your attention to the three scrolls Vladimir holds. Those are Special scrolls of Atonement, Cure Disease and Remove Curse. We found them while digging through the church. You may not remember, but those are used to cure lycanthropy. And I'm pretty sure we saw some werewolves near the Ivlis Caverns. So let's go heal some lycanthrope, whether he likes it or not!

upfX6cq.png

Leaving church's grounds.

p6BPCcz.png

That's the way.

HdxKVC3.png

Here we are.

Ul5v5ef.png

Not much here other than the ol' skeletal bats.

ix9rnQ1.png

WOo4uPa.png

A cave of some kind.

UbWJQWF.png

Uh-oh.

Xin2KWw.png

BTgokOH.png

mrvxSdu.png

wY2vvWv.png
If you would have us leave, you are not evil, yet you may not be alone. Do other dangers lurk here, unseen?
NtS9oG9.png
You are wasting time. Flee! Flee before my mind succumbs to arrogant, wolfish hunger! And beware, I am not the only soul thus afflicted. Our progenitor roams these woods, a beast who lives in the unholy joy of the cruelty he causes. He is a large albino. Beware that sight and run without looking back!
wY2vvWv.png
You're in pain. Is there anything we can do to help?
NtS9oG9.png
Ahh! Such courage. If only my blood did not run like ice, or beat with a coward's pulse, I might ask you to end my misery. Please get away! Have you no recognition of the form I take? Soon, I will lose all power to keep the beast at bay. Like an enraged wolf, I will lunge beyond all compass, beyond all restraint. Listen to me!
wY2vvWv.png
In our travels, we have learned of lycanthropy. The cure is dangerous, but we are willing to attempt it.
NtS9oG9.png
Oh, by the spirit of my father, by my mother's enduring love, yes! Anything! I swear to you my undying gratitude. All that I can, all that I have to give will be yours! Go then, prepare what you must. Retreat from the terrible rage that overcomes my heart.
wY2vvWv.png
We must destroy the heart of the infection, the progenitor. Three spells must then be cast upon you. May we find you here?
NtS9oG9.png
He who is the root of this evil is an albino, a great and arrogant beast who lurks these woods. Ahh!, my will fails me; my heart is seized, held fast by a passion to rend flesh and work my jaws in snapping bone! The pain is great. But yes, I shall do what I can to wait for your return.

ebaTT85.png

Werewolves come out at night, so we rest until then.

10UGLAG.png

It's on!

iMhyIwr.png

They go down surprisingly easy.

O4mvsK1.png

No sign of the albino though.

Bn4lu3I.png

pshTkt4.png

This one looks different.

TbY13uU.png

A single lightning bolt is not enough to kill this thing. It must be our target.

GMaogrk.png

Despite heavy resistance, we slay the dreaded beast.

DIEA9QX.png

We must hurry into the cave to finish the healing procedure.

s1fN9KK.png

QXJRrsy.png

As the book says, we cast three spells in a quick succession.

wCjANZU.png

wY2vvWv.png
We are glad for you and happy to have been of help. Can you find your way home?
bZVSNk3.png
But I have no home, no worldly possessions. No longer! They are yours. Here, this key I give you opens a door to a house in the village of Barovia. The house and everything within it are yours. To do this is the smallest reward any man might confer for the salvation of his mortal life. I can not return. Many of my victims' belongings are there.
pVf10ub.png
What will you do with your life, now that you are healed?
bZVSNk3.png
I remember my victims. I can still see the startled, glazed look in their eyes when my weight and strength pinned them beyond hope of escape, when my growls were close upon them and the hot breath of animal fury was against their throats. Now, though I be weak and mortal, I must make amends. I must help those families I have cruelly torn.

7NghYM5.png

It's the moments like this that makes you really appreciate the work you put into mapping stuff :smug:

PJUXvcW.png

lqHUPgY.png

There is a whole lot of junk here.

nkeYpUz.png

Among the other things, we found Ring of Regeneration and Gauntlets of Dexterity.

gmZV81k.png

After a quick nap, we were on our way to Castle Ravenloft.

Wctjk5g.png

ZDon5vq.png

biHuTlU.png

The key we got from the priest was indeed the right one.

hEpivMD.png

lightbane

Arcane
So, what happens if you kill the infected man instead of curing him? In fact, can you actually perform 'evil' actions in this game?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, what happens if you kill the infected man instead of curing him? In fact, can you actually perform 'evil' actions in this game?
In general, performing a lot of evil actions in Ravenloft is not a great idea. Tends to attract unwanted attention.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Probably not, seeing that the game doesn't even allow you to choose evil alignments for your PC.:roll:

mondblut

Arcane
Probably not, seeing that the game doesn't even allow you to choose evil alignments for your PC.:roll:

Starting with the Krynn goldbox games and to the end of SSI, hardly any D&D CRPGs featured evil alignment. I guess it all goes back to the 2nd edition's "no, soccer moms, we ain't teaching kids to cast real spells and worship satan, do not sue us please" policy.

Anyway, NPCs are just sprites with a talk bubble over them, you can't do anything but talk to them.

Stone Prophet did have a bunch of plot-related events where you could act like a dick. Then it would get you in trouble.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom