Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's get horribly raped in TFTD! Orgasm now running things!

sqeecoo

Arcane
Hey, my character seems ok except for the horrible reactions. Perhaps you should give me a torpedo or a gas cannon with HE?

Anyway, you should probably sack the bad characters, or at least designate them as "scouts" and send them out first, while the guys with good stats get Codex names and stay behind and snipe (you can't get reaction fire if you can't "see" the alien, but you can still hit him just fine).

What I love about this game is that there is simply no way to avoid loosing lots and lots of soldiers, especially when the dreaded MC kicks in (expect to loose at least half your squad in the first mission with MC aliens - if you're lucky). So the guys that survive for a while are real heroes.

Nedrah

Erudite
Why do I have a feeling that my bravery is going to get me into trouble very shortly down the road? Ah, what the hell - FOR CODEXIA! Bring 'em on

(Again, great job on this LP Garfunkel. Made me play Ufo defense all over again, too)

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Trash: Sssh, you don't want to spill the truth about secret shadow government mind control clone army thingy! The men in black will get you!

WW, noted - I'm fairly certain there will be an position opening for you in near future. :lol:

Allrighty lads and lassies, here we go again:

Machine Spirit spots an Aquatoid near the Triton. Good thing I always send it alone outside first.

And it's exactly like my sexual escapades, one swift thrust and it's all over:

Machine Spirit draws more fire from the same direction! Too bad it misses the snapshot.

FUCK! Two sonic booms in the grill and Machine Spirit is toast. FUCK FUCK FUCK!

Now I gotta send the troopers out into the muddy waters. Cue ominous music...
Slenkar throws a "dye" grenade (smoke in other words) to cover our advance. Squad is separated into two teams; team A moves south of Triton while team B moves north of Triton. Hopefully we'll flank the Aquatoid before its buddies join the party.
Like this:

FUCK AGAIN! The bastard had moved to a new position and it sniped from there - popping Cloaked Figure away.

GODDAMN THAT ALIEN BASTARD! I even threw an another smoke grenade but it didn't help - the asshole shot Darth Roxor between the eyes, then calmly switched targets and busted the thick skull of Volourn.

Darth Roxor didn't have time to use the Force:

Volourn mangled against the rocks:

And predictably:

Shit in a bucket! Okay. We'll regroup and use more "dye" grenades. This is not a catastrophy. But before that, JarlFrank will lay down some covering fire with his minitorpedolauncher:

AND YES YES YES! In the midst of the explosion, an inhuman screech is heard - the alien is dead!

Score is 2-4 for aliens at the moment but that WILL change soon!
But the fucker was not alone! First Sceeqoo got his torso blown off:

Then another alien (shot coming from a different direction than the first one) wasted Sheek, who thought he was cleverly hiding behind a dune. Guess it wasn't so:

This mission is swiftly going FUBAR. Especially as my turn starts with following:

Not good. Not good at all. I pull the remaining troopers back a bit, in the hope of luring the Aquatoids into their line-of-sight.While that didn't work, atleast no-one else got shot. Morale though is still an issue:

Crapfest. Those who can move, take cover behind the coral-hill thingy. Which doesn't help much as Nedrah finds out:

And morale, oh morale...

I'm starting to suspect that this mission is a failure. Better to evac and not to lose the Triton. BethesdaLove throws a smoke grenade, hopefully covering the retreat. Yeah, fat chance of that - do these bastards have thermal scopes or what?

Yup, BethesdaLove bought the farm aswell. RETREAT! JarlFrank, Slenkar and Lonely Varzdu have just gotten inside the Triton, when JarlFrank decides to panic AND RUNS OUT OF THE GODDAMN SUB! WHAT THE FUCK MAN?! Lady Luck smiles upon him though and no-one shoots him and I get to retreat.

Still, at least it wasn't a Terror-mission. This shouldn't affect investors that much. I hope.

Well, I order more weapons and recruits. USO manages to evade Barracudas and gets away. Alien Containment is built so now we can use those tazers. Scientits arrive and are put to work. Also, our current roster:

We got 12 troopers. Fuck yeah. If only I had money to properly outfit all of them.
Also, research:

DAMMIT - there's an terror mission in Accra but I only have above-water weapons for 6 troopers and 3 of those are needle pistols. Would be completely slaughter of troops to go. Hopefully Africans aren't too badly pissed. Oh well.

More research:

Now we will have good grenades. These babies kick quite an punch.
And then it's the end of month. Not good, not good.

Well, now I have little cash so I buy a new tank, some scientists and more weapons. Starting to look good again. We also get two new recruits to round out the team:

FINALLY there's sonar contact and Barracuda-2 is off:

Now we'll just wait for dawn... and here we go again!

Yeah, I'm NOT gonna do night missions anymore if I can avoid them at all. Period.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Kudos, great thread. You can put me on the gallows as well.
Also, interesting insight into TFTD; I always thought it was just UFO with a different paintjob, but it looks quite interesting now.

skyway said:
I actually installed X-Com and so far I'm enjoying it very much.
So how soon should I build a second base to cover more world?
I'd start with secondary bases very early since they take so long to build. Of course, I just start with simple radar stations, interceptors added later on.

I'm missing some UFOs - but at the same time I need funds to support all the ongoing missions - so it's a bit of a risk to spend money on a base that will take a long time to build
What? Your missions are supposed to bring you money, not cost money. Sell some alien stuff. I personally find that I keep too much early on and suddenly I have five general stores and no free room.
Take alien power sources, for instance. Extremely valuable and it should take a few months before you can actually use them. So don't keep too many around.

Also, I hope you're aware of all the bugs, especially the radar stacking bug. I'm using BaseFixer. Well, now. Maybe if I had used it earlier I might've had a chance to prevent the alien infiltration of the USA. Oh well, never liked those fuckers anyway. :wink:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Is laser tank a worthy investment in X-Com?

@Claw:
Well last month went for me with excellent stats - I had 2 UFOs crashed and 2 Terror sites cleared so almost every nation was pleased with it.

Also what goods is it recommended to manufacture to sell them.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
DAMMIT - there's an terror mission in Accra but I only have above-water weapons for 6 troopers and 3 of those are needle pistols. Would be completely slaughter of troops to go. Hopefully Africans aren't too badly pissed. Oh well.

There are terror missions in Africa today and nobody seems to pay much attention. ;)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
skyway said:
Oh, yeah. I'm mostly using my tank as scout anyway, but it's got the most powerful laser weapon and there is one particular enemy who is resistant to virtually everything but laser.

Well last month went for me with excellent stats - I had 2 UFOs crashed and 2 Terror sites cleared so almost every nation was pleased with it.
That isn't going to protect you against alien infiltration; I always have a good score and still lost three nations to the aliens after a few months.
Then again, I'm not sure there is any protection against infiltration. Of course, it is possible to win the game while doing a terrible job on lower difficulty settings anyway.
Still, I feel uneasy covering only a single radar range of the planet. I usually try to build radar outposts on all major continents asap, then adding Interceptors to some of them so I can quickly respond when UFOs are sighted far away from my home base.

Motion Detectors, Heavy Lasers and Laser Cannons.

sheek

Arbiter
Claw said:
skyway said:
Oh, yeah. I'm mostly using my tank as scout anyway, but it's got the most powerful laser weapon and there is one particular enemy who is resistant to virtually everything but laser.

That isn't going to protect you against alien infiltration; I always have a good score and still lost three nations to the aliens after a few months.
Then again, I'm not sure there is any protection against infiltration. Of course, it is possible to win the game while doing a terrible job on lower difficulty settings anyway.
Still, I feel uneasy covering only a single radar range of the planet. I usually try to build radar outposts on all major continents asap, then adding Interceptors to some of them so I can quickly respond when UFOs are sighted far away from my home base.

Motion Detectors, Heavy Lasers and Laser Cannons.
Aliens need to send ships to do anything, just like you. That includes Alien Infiltration and setting up new bases. If you can shoot down their ships you foil their plans.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Okay, to start with a fresh outlook, I'll show your fugly mugs to the world, along with your equipment. Then everyone can point and laugh. :twisted:

Roster:

And I thought DefJam101 was the only black guy in Codexia. Oh well, you learn something new every day.

JarlFrank steps out of Triton and immediately spots an Gillman! Time to die, abomination!

Yeah, naturally the torpedo streaks harmlessly past. Good job man. Good job. But VD steps up to the plate, crouches, takes careful aim and blasts the shit out of the Gillman. He probably imagined him as a retarded realtime/firstperson-consolekiddie or something. Excellent motivation.

Rest of the team scatters around Triton, taking positions. We're perfect target for a grenade or RPG so with trembling fingers I press the end of turn button....

What? That was it? Whoa, easiest mision ever. HEY GUYS, YOU ROCK!

And Lonely Vazdru comes first officer of the new X-Com. Congratulations!

clapping.gif

Back in base, I sell couple of sonic pistols and order 15 more scientists. Hopefully we'll get another small USO soon.

But no. A week goes by without anything. Well, we got new research:

YES! Small USO spotted, thank you sonar! (Yes, both of them, I'm double-teaming sort of guy)

And here we go again!

MetalCraze

Arcane
@Sheek, Claw: Thanks for the tips.

I've already build a second base with a large radar and now going to make it combat effective. I'm trying to shoot down every UFO I can but at one point I simply had no interceptors to cover them all.
Currently I'm covering whole Europe, a bit of Africa and a whole Asia with radars.
I use tank as a scout too - though rocket tank is good at raping masses of aliens.
And it seems my next mission objective is too capture alien commander to investigate on which planet their base is.

oldschool

Scholar
GarfunkeL said:
What? That was it? Whoa, easiest mision ever. HEY GUYS, YOU ROCK!

Heh. We're pretty awesome!

Um...how come this uniform you issued me has so many bullet holes in it?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You're nearing the end then Skyway, though getting an alien commander alive can be a total pain-in-the-ass, since they only live in bases and battleships. I usually waited until I had alien launcher with stun grenades and some sort of armour before attempting it. And if you are unlucky (like I was once), there were no battleships or bases for months. I ended up filling alien containment with captains and navigators and medics and whatelse. Naturally, you need to have the best planes aswell, to actually fly to Mars. Cydonia is pretty easy in the end if you get that far, since you prolly have hover power armour, heavy plasma rifles (or where they cannons?) and bunch of good psychics. Just leave tanks behind, they are no that useful there.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand back on track:

Let's see what we can find. I miss Machine Spirit, since it would've been an awesome scout but let's try to get more experience for the grunts. Could be important for future. On turn 3, Slenkar spots first Gillman.

Fingers crossed people, take him down Slenkar! Crap - Slenkar hits but Gillman just shakes it off. Badass bastards. Luckily, Gillman doesn't fire back but rather runs away, preseting it's back for Slenkar. We're so not over shooting aliens in the back!

BAH! Missed him. Meanwhile, Jasede and Oldschool recon a nearby hut:

Seems nothing there. During aliens turn, there's a huge explosion, just infront of our team. This could signal that bad times are ahead:

YES! Jasede spots the same Gillman, takes a snapshot and DROPS IT LIKE A SACK OF POTATOES!

And that was pretty long distance as well. JASEDE YOU ROCK! Next turn, VD takes overwatch-position and instantly spots another Gillman:

But misses. Damn. WhiskeyWolf comes up aswell, takes careful aim but misses too. Fuck. Ashery takes snapshot aswell and yes, he misses. Oldschool aims AND HITS!

But does the bastard die? OF COURSE NOT. Instead, he replies with two sonic bursts, luckily missing Oldschool. Slenkar helps out by snapping off a shot, HITS! But no kill. Dammit. During his turn, the wounded bastard wildly shoots up the place but scores zilch. HA-HA YOU FOOL! Then it's VD's turn, who takes careful aim and PERFECTLY HITS........................................ the railing next to the alien. Wish I had screenshotted that.

But no fear, WW is here! He aims, he squeezes, he kills!

Sweet. Okay, that's two down. Could be as many as four left. Let's stay sharp people! We don't want a repeat of that night mission which still makes JarlFrank wake up in the middle of the night, screaming. Eh, moving on...

Three turns later, Ashery finally spots the USO and a third Gillman is guarding its entrance. He carefully aims, hits the bastard but naturally it won't go down:

Angry cunt responds but luckily is blind as a bat. Unfortunately, so is Slenkar who misses the Gillman. But JASEDE THE ULTIMATE SNIPER takes a shot from the OTHER SIDE OF THE MAP AND HITS THE NASTY BASTARD! Who naturally isn't killed. Naturally. But that's ok. VD has the perfect overwatch-position and this time he doesn't miss. Gillman is hit by armorpiercing round, splattering ichor and goo around. SWEETNESS!

While the troopers encircle and advance towards the sub, Oldschool decides to go solo and check out the curious wreck on the side. With completely unsurprising results:

Yeah. There's an alien in there. VD takes revenge but his exploding round didn't kill anything except some fungus and bacteria.

Jasede rushes after Oldschool, wanting revenge. Aliens, they do nothing. So, as soon as possible, VD pumps another explodey-round into the wreck and this time were rewarded with a suspiciously deathy-sounding sound:

Yes, it IS possible to shoot through those window holes. Yes, VD actually managed to shoot through one of them. Yes, that makes him nearly as badass sniper type as Jasede. No, Age of Decadence is not out yet.

While Jasede and WhiskeyWolf get near the entrances, rest of the team surrounds the USO and VD pumps a third round into the wreck. Nerve-wrecking. What will the aliens do?

Nothing, it seems.

WW and Jasede enter the wreck. CRAPFEST the bastard WASN'T dead yet! Good thing the boys wanted to check:

No worries though. Jasede will give it a nice, three-round burst of jet-powered harpoon-needles or whatever this ridiculously underpowered toygun shoots. Yes, he hits, he kills, he scores!

Seems that was the last one:

Back at base, Oldschool is buried and I get 264k from selling alien stuff. Nice! That means I've got the money to hire yet another 15 scientists without going broke. And it helps:

Oh right, I also order a replacement for Oldschool:

And then it's end of the month:

SWEET! This attempt may outlast the first one!

Crap, big one spotted, this could mean trouble:

But:

The Barracuda's haven't even reached Codexia before shit hits the fan:

Yes it was a TERROR-sub and now there's hell to pay. I send Triton to be on its way but dawn is still hours away. On the other hand, if I lose this mission it could be very bad.
Fuck it. You only live once. Whole Earth looks up to us. All that other bullshit. Let's purify this place.

oldschool

Scholar
GarfunkeL said:
While the troopers encircle and advance towards the sub, Oldschool decides to go solo and check out the curious wreck on the side. With completely unsurprising results:

Lol. If I was still alive, I would totally be questioning the chain of command right about now...

star-trek-obsession-redshirt-dead.jpg

mahdi

Liturgist
Skyway, have you done a base raid yet? If not, radar doesn't detect alien bases. Only 'patrolling' ships and a keen eye can do that. You probably already have a few on the planet so make sure you find them.

Also, terror missions are generally complete cluster fucks at first and later (chrysalids). Expect to lose most of the squad and then flee in horror if you can. Don't cheat and don't go save/reload crazy on the battlescape like most rookies do, ironman that shit. You will enjoy the game far more if you play it expecting to lose.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah I'm researching power suits and there are heavy plasma weapons available for research - I was wondering whether it's a good idea to go for them - as lasers pretty much do the job right now.
All of my main crew is equiped with personal armor, laser rifles and a few motion sensors - stuff I produce and sell and useless things I get from missions (like alien bodies) do a nice job funding my team.

Aliens also launched a terror attack on New York - should be a fun mission.

@mahdi: I've already had 2 terror missions. Luckily enough most of the time aliens were in the open so it was easier to take them down (as tank had easy job detecting them). In NY however it seems that the situation changed.
I also believe they have a base somewhere in Eastern Asia as UFOs are spamming there. But currently my asian base has no hangars and ships in Europe lack range.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If I remember correctly, I used heavy lasers until near the end. They have enough punch to kill most aliens in one or two shots and you can have support troopers with alien launchers when you meet Cyberdiscs or other heavy nasties. And grenades are lovely aswell.

I saved all my plasma clips for heavy plasmas for Cydonia, since the first time I went there, I had no idea how long it would last. But also never manufactured any plasma stuff since I wanted to preserve Elerium-115.

Also, Zerotol, apologies, I forgot to add you into the team. But you will get your turn! I'm pretty certain there are opening after this terror-mission! :P

mahdi

Liturgist
I promise you that Skyrangers don't lack range from almost anywhere on the planet. They can fly for days straight.

Yes, research heavy plasma, it leads to plasma weapons for your ships. Then you can take down battleships, supply ships, and the like.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
sheek said:
Aliens need to send ships to do anything, just like you. That includes Alien Infiltration and setting up new bases. If you can shoot down their ships you foil their plans.
Well, according to people who have a much greater understanding of the games than I do, a base mission is successful the moment the corresponding Battleship enters the atmosphere. That doesn't bode well for preventing intfiltrations.

All I know is that I've got a radar station in the middle of the USA and couldn't stop this stupid nation from being infiltrated. Of course, maybe it was really just down to being able to shoot down that once battleship that appeared suddenly, along with half a dozen other UFOs iirc.
That isn't nice either. One month the aliens are in Africa, the next activity spikes in NA and before I know it the region is overrun.

skyway said:
Yeah I'm researching power suits and there are heavy plasma weapons available for research - I was wondering whether it's a good idea to go for them - as lasers pretty much do the job right now.
Heavy Plasma is pretty much the best "rifle" in the game. For some reason, it's more accurate than a Laser Rifle on top of doing almost twice the damage. You should also never be short of ammo since the aliens favor this weapon as well.

An additional advantage is that you get access to the Plasma Cannon. You want this. You want this so badly.

MetalCraze

Arcane
So I will go for Plasma then. I'm currently researching "The new fighter ship" based on UFO technology.

And I've also found my first alien base, but...
2h37ss6.jpg

EDIT: nwm - I found a solution - developers just replaced one of the alien base map tiles with a snippet of C# code.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Why the hell did you send me in right after Cloaked Figure?! :(

anyway

Lawl, yesterday when I was playing, there was a terror mission that went, well... a tiny bit uncool at the start, but I pulled it off with no casualties. I had a bunch of rooks with harpoon guns and the gas cannon tank.

The moment I opened the door of the triton and left with the first soldier, I was hit by a stun bomb, which effectively made me lose everyone but one trooper and the tank.

BUT! I won. I took all possible ammo from the unconscious guys and cooperated with the tank for superb results. And the lone trooper that got like, 6 frags, didn't even get promoted to ensign after that -_-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom