Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's get horribly raped in TFTD! Orgasm now running things!

MetalCraze

Arcane
Never trust Codex nerds with a mission to save the world.
But you stood there ready to get raped hard till the end :salute:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That was hilariously bad :lol:

But then again, tftd is racist as fuck, so...

Goddammit, this thread made me want to play it again.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Yeah that was extremely funny.
Start a new one please, so i can kill someone this time :)

MetalCraze

Arcane
I actually installed X-Com and so far I'm enjoying it very much.
So how soon should I build a second base to cover more world?

I'm missing some UFOs - but at the same time I need funds to support all the ongoing missions - so it's a bit of a risk to spend money on a base that will take a long time to build (and I have to spend money on upgrading the original base as well) - but at the same time UN will cut funds if I won't cover the whole world soon.
Ohhhh...

(btw in my game DU rapes aliens like crazy - so after a few battles he is a colonel already - he kills at least 3 aliens per encounter - on the other hand Volourn has only one kill - and it's a friendlyfir'd team-mate - karma?)

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
So i downloaded a .rar 3.24mb for UFO1. How do i make it work?

If i click on the .exe i hear sound (from the intro?) but my screen stays black.

Nedrah

Erudite
Too bad I died on my first mission - and just when I got some good loot, too.

I knew earth was doomed when I went down :(

Good job, loved your lp :)

Edit: If you're not too frustrated, why don't you have another go? Maybe go surface-centric xcom this time?

sheek

Arbiter
The start of the slope downhill seems to have been letting that second Terror Site disappear without responding. How do you miss a Terror Site?

BTW 2 months with negative score = automatic fail, so unless you have been shooting down dozens of scouts and capturing them perfectly, you don't have the choice not to successfully do the Terror Sites.

Great narration though.

skyway said:
I actually installed X-Com and so far I'm enjoying it very much.
So how soon should I build a second base to cover more world?

I'm missing some UFOs - but at the same time I need funds to support all the ongoing missions - so it's a bit of a risk to spend money on a base that will take a long time to build (and I have to spend money on upgrading the original base as well) - but at the same time UN will cut funds if I won't cover the whole world soon.
Ohhhh..
You never want your bank account to go into the red. So I'd wait until you have at least 3 $million in reserves and two months have gone by. Apart from the money for the base you need another 0.5-1 $million and half a month to get it doing anything useful (Radars, General Stores, Living Quarters + Lab/Workshop). Remember to factor in at least 6 more soldiers or a few tanks minimum to defend the new base in case it gets attacked... more costs which are not going to be directly useful to you.

So 3rd or 4th month if things have been going well.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Garfunkel, a few very important things:

1) Your accuracy goes down while using a two handed weapon (anything but a pistol) if you hold stuff in both hands. Keep one hand free.

2) At the start of the game, use Gas cannons, and go for gauss rifles ASAP.

3) Never miss terror sites. Ever. And use dye grenades there too, and retreat to a corner and then level everything with grenades.

Anyway, a brilliant LP. I sign up for the next one as a soldier!

sheek

Arbiter
Sure Gauss don't work above water? I was surprised to see guys running around in the last mission still with dart guns!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Thanks for the replies folks. I'll surely do LP Part 2 - Revenge of Codexia.

It was just my faulty memory that Gauss weapons don't work above water. I used to be pretty good in both games back then but this is what you get after years of UFO:Aftermath/-shock and other copies, your skills are degenerated. I didn't even have stun rods / tazers at first, since I remembered (wrongly) that you have to reseach them.

Thanks for the tips folks! We'll start soon, with a fresh base in Indian Ocean this time.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
ALLRIGHTY MAGGOTS!

That previous stuff was just a bad dream. Forget it. Now's the time for the real deal.

Our base is in the middle of Indian Ocean, so we can cover Africa, SE Asia and Oceania. This time, we actually build Wide Array Sonar so we'll spot the alien subs from farther away. We also build Alien Containment, General Stores, Laboratory and two Living Quarters. I also order 2 more soldiers, 10 more scientists, bunch of weapons, grenades and chemical tazers (stun rods) for the troops aswell as a Machine Spirit equipped with a Gas Cannon, since that works both under and above water. Clever, eh? I equip Barracuda-1 with DUP warheads and Ajax rocketpod and Barracuda-2 gets double Ajax-pods. Selling useless stuff, like the Craft Gauss Cannons, normal grenades (too weak to be really useful) and extra Gas Cannon. Finally, researchers are put to work to get Medikits working.

And here's our valiant troopers:

And here's our first contact! Very small - better send Barracuda-2 then, otherwise the DUP warheads in Barracuda-1 would vaporize it completely. In X-Com, very small ufos had only one sectoid inside, I wonder if this is any bigger.

Not that glorious battle ensues:

And here we go!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
In X-Com, very small ufos had only one sectoid inside, I wonder if this is any bigger.

Only one, yes, but not only sectoids. The very small ones in TFTD also have single aliens I believe.

Also, my stats are shitty as hell.

probably a crap idea:

In the early game you could throw grenades everywhere indiscriminately in the ufo encounters
Instead of sticking your head around the corner.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Looks cheerful enough, so far.

Turn 2 stars peaceful enough aswell:

By turn 6, we are nearing the sub. It's bigger than expected:

But not that much - maybe 1-2 aliens. Too bad the tazers had not arrived, so no live ones.

AQUATOID!

Crap. SKyway only enough TU's for a snapshot and it's questionable would that kill the aquatoid. Kaiserin and CloakedFigure are near but there's always the possibility that they miss or hit Skyway. Oh well, sense before valour or something like - Skyway will jump behind the ufo.

Alien went back inside the ufo. I guess they both soiled their underwear.

I move the team around the entrance into tactical positions - but the Aquatoid slips out and shoots!

OH NO! Rest in peace DarkUnderlord. Don't fear - Kaiserin avenges your death!

Yup. That's one bagged USO (Unknown Submersible Object).

Back in the world - we get new recruits and more scientists and more weapons!

We got some research done:

And BANG! Our second mission! OO-RAH!

Here we go again!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Terror from the deep, moar like terror from the derp amirite

oh, and make sure to get the gauss tech fast. Pistol and rifle get researched rather fast, and with 20-30 technicians they get manufactured really quickly, and they are 1000000 times more effective than the fucking useless harpoons.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Oohkey, nice, it's night time. Machine Spirit takes the point.

While Machine Spirit makes a rough sweep over the area, the Team searches the nearest buildings/ship wrecks carefully.

This goes on for two turns, until Machine Spirit draws fire!

EAT SHIT AND DIE!

By turn 8, Cloaked Figure (being the point-man) spots the alien sub.

During turn 14, we get action! Stupid Aquatoid tries to come out of the sub but Skyway and Kaiserin blast him! Too bad I didn't see which one missed but we'll see that afterwards. Volourn, not wanting to be outdone, saw vague shapes inside the sub and blasted away with his gas cannon, scraping tiles. DO NOT WASTE AMMO VOLLY!

There's atleast 3 aliens inside. We've already killed two, so that makes 5. Since there's atleast 6 aliens on a sub this size... exciting!

Machine Spirit opens the door - nothing. Assault Team advances inside and then it's time for the most harrowing part, opening those two doors and getting inside.

Okay, that went surprisingly well. No aliens in sight. Team spread out like this:

Rest are outside, guarding flanks etc. Time for alien's turn...

GODDAMMIT SOLDIERS!

Aquatoid pops out, Kaiserin and Skyway both freeze = alien pops Kaiserin & Sheek into the Book of Dead.

Here Kaiserin gets a close encounter of the bad kind:

And Skyway watches in helpless fright as Sheeks backside turns into bloodvapour:

HOLY FUCK, we got an intense firefight in tight quarters:

Skyway and CloakedFigure pop opent he doors and burst in, spotting two Aquatoids. Lonely Vazdru gives support but misses one of the aliens. Skyway lets loose, killing one of the aliens but other finds its inhumane courage and drills a sonic boom between his buttocks. CF isn't fazed by flying Skyway-bits and proceedes to whack the remaining alien. Dammit. Next time, I'm using grenades even if it means loosing some alien equipment.

While CF crouches into safety, an Aquatoid emerges from hiding! Luckily, Lonely Vazdru is on top of things and pops three holes into the bugger BUT IT WON'T DIE!

Luckily, fourth one did the trick. Tough buggers. We need the Gauss weapons like last week, it seems. And that was the last one:

Well, the grinder needs fresh meat. So, say hello to:

Yeah, Nedrah has the highest bravery score so far. Hopefully he'll put it to good use!

Living Quarters is done so I order 4 more soldiers and 5 more scientists which makes me nearly broke but hey, it's only money, right? Then sonar beeps the familiar sound:

Barracuda-1 damages the USO but can't drop it, so Barracuda-2 is sent to finish the job. Just before intercept, the USO bottoms out so Triton is sent instead. Too bad nightfall arrives as well...

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Looks like some kind of infinite nightmare where you are send out to fight alien invaders, die a horrible death and then awake screaming in a new body to do it all over again. Forever.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
WW, reporting for duty. I also want to get killed with the other folks.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Dont forget to name a meatbag after me!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom