Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's get horribly raped in TFTD! Orgasm now running things!

Ashery

Prophet
Considering the rate of casualties...I'm tempted to wait until you get some armor researched and produced before signing up ;p

Eh, what the hell...The story of my death should be entertaining enough to make up for the fact that I'd be dead XD

My money is on dying to stray fire that's not even aimed at me.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Heh, personally I find the current deathrate quite acceptable - no armor and guys are quite rookie-level still. Last time I played TFTD ended up with whole teams getting killed. On the other hand, this is fun since I don't save unless I quit the game. Somehow makes it both more exciting and more fun, knowing that I can't go back if I make a mistake.

Just another day in pa-ra-diiii-se!

Team spreads out from Triton. As per Standard Operating Procedure (gee, I can talk army-lingo), Machine Spirit will be sent forwards

Aquatoid spotted but instead of sweet gibbering of aliens, Machine Spirit decides to restructure the ocean floor.

Darth Roxor takes a shot but misses as well. Luckily the Aquatoid doesn't fire back, so it's fairly easy for Machine Spirit to correct it's aim, with glorious results:

Machine Spirit draws fire from north, didn't manage to get a screenshot of that. Let's recon! Crap-fest - several shots and a rocket or something! Machine Spirit is luckily only slightly hurt and desires sweet, sweet revenge!

And what Machine Spirit desires, Machine Spirit gets:

Meanwhile rest of team advances to the entrance of the alien-sub. I'm having dreadful flashbacks of the last assault, where VD and DragonFk got killed. Let's try to avoid a repeat.

Dark Underlord gives overwatch-support with his bazooka.

FUCK! Aquatoid pops out of the door, Oldskool gets reaction shot but misses and Kaiserin gets killed! DAMN YOU JARHEADS WITH YOUR SLOW REFLEXES!

But revenge is at hand! Edward_R_Murrow pops the filthy bastard a new one:

Team is ready to assault - Skyway gets the honor of first man in:

Bravely he opens the doors... and finds nothing. Team assembles for the next doors, making them a prime target for alien grenades.

Team enters in. Skyway on the right side, Darth Roxor on the left side. Right side - CLEAR! Left side - AAARGH! Darth Roxor is hit and dead! BASTARDS! (his corpse is under the cursor)

HOLY FUCK! No-one manages to do anything while one Aquatoid calmly walks across the fireline of Edward_R_Murrow, Zerotol and Lonely Vazdru!

But what's worse, another Aquatoid uses the open doorway and shoots a god-damned ROCKET into the hallway, killing both Zerotol and Lonely Vazdru and leaving Edward_R_Murrow badly wounded and shaken. GOD DAMN!

No time for tears, though. Oldschool pops open the hatch, finds two aquatoids and drills the closer one with bullets, making three new holes in it.

Skyway gets the honor of killing the second one BUT HE MISSES!

Desperately, I try something wicked and use the Machine Spirit to blast the alien sub, in the hopes of knocking down the Aquatoid with the rocket launcher.

Unfortunately, the hull is too strong. Is this the end of Skyway?

NO! The filthy alien does nothing! Probably stunned by all the explosion and whatnot.

But when Skyway re-opens the hatch and enters:

Bastard slew him!

Oldschool takes revenge but misses so Edward_R_Murrow steps in and finishes the alien, even though he's badly wounded. EDWARD IS THE MAN!

And that's not the end even! Dark Underlord goes berserk but luckily does not fire his rpg. Machine Spirit has scoured the wilderness so I think the remaining alien is inside the ship. Carefully the team moves forwards:

Fuck, it's empty. This means the alien is outside somewhere.

Is it here?

No, it was not. Annoying. SHOW YOURSELF BEAST!

Yes, found the bitch - it was hiding in one of the building and revealed itself by firing uselessly against the mighty Machine Spirit! PREPARE TO BE SMEARED!

Finally this clusterfuck of a mission is over.
EXCEPT THAT ITS NOT! Team goes through the area with a magnifying glass, until the Machine Spirit is near a suspicious looking hut when disaster strikes!

Poor Machine Spirit. Hopefully your bolts will be useful for the fishes.

Undaunted, the Team tries to surround the hut - GOD DAMN BASTARDS!

Oldschool bites the dust! Goddammit!

THIS IS NOT A GOOD TIME TO CRY, SOLDIER! Pick up your weapon, goddammit!

Joka picks up his weapon but then it's DU's turn to panic and freeze. Luckily Edward_R_Murrow, the grizzled veteran, still keeps his wits and stealthily approaches the alien hideout.

Meanwhile Joka swings to the other side of the spectrum:

DU gets a grip and sets the hut on fire with a phosporous rocket:

Ha! Try to survive that!

The hut is cleared and the alien is dead - but THERE'S STILL MORE LEFT! AARGH

Okay, I have three soldiers left - Joka, Dark Underlord (who is out of rockets and picked up a rifle instead) and Edward_R_Murrow. There's couple of huts where the last alien could be. This should be fun.

DU finds an Aquatoid! EAT SHIT AND DIE!

AND STILL THERE'S MORE LEFT! I CAN'T TAKE THIS!

The valiant trio surrounds the hut, Joka takes a sneak peek inside and is rewarded for his carelessness:

The fucking idiot didn't see that Aquatoid in the corner, so the cursed alien gave him a third nostril. With a vengeance, DU and E_R_M strike him down - DU emptying his clip and Edward_R_Murrow finishing the bastard off.

Holy nutsack that was intense. 58 turns of sweat and blood. Total casualties:

Joka (sonic burst in the face)
Oldschool (sonic burst in the face)
Machine Spirit (aka Rocket Tank) (RPG in the bolts)
Skyway (sonic burst in the face)
Zerotol (RPG in the face)
Lonely Vazdru (RPG in the face)
Darth Roxor (sonic burst in the face)
Kaiserin (sonic burst in the face)

This does not bode well for the future. Edward_R_Murrow gets to hang out with Sheek in the hospital while I sell useless junk and order, er, requisite for more cannon fod-, er, brave volunteers. Sheek is hospitalized for three more days, while E_R_M will get to spend eight days of peace and quiet.

Then Living Quarters are done, so now I can hire more scientists and even more troops.

Only Alien Containment and second Laboratory under contruction:

Yes - research is done and labrats get yet another project:

Now, if only the aliens would give us little room to breathe...

Replacements arrive:

Yeah, I know JarlFrank, Dicksmoker and Annie have not volunteered but EARTH NEEDS YOU, so there.

After a day, 20 new scientists and 10 new recruits arrive as well. Those 10 will be named after more volunteers when they sign-up :twisted:

Seems that I got my wish since there's no alien activity detected and the hours fly-by. Eggheads get a breakthrough aswell:

Then it hits me, this is just calm before the storm - AND I WAS RIGHT!

Terror attack on Jamaica! Oh yes boys and girls, this is the real shit! Buckle up! Sheek is officially healthy again, so he gets on the joyride.

Atleast there's daylight...

dragonfk

Erudite
Hah, great mission :) . Full of WIN.

Also shame Ive bitten the dust. I was SOO promising...

geoscape003.png

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Dammit, I cancelled the Terror Mission so I could rename Occasionally Fatal into the team and naturally it was gone before I got back. So no terror mission for you guys, sorry :(

So, what the heck. Laboratory was finished so I ordered 40 more scientists. That should help the research effort considerably. Naturally, it pays dividends immediately:

And suddenly the end of month is here:

Whoa, better than I could've hoped for!

More research completed:

Hmm, I'm getting nervous that everything is so quiet...

Still quiet...

Dammit, it's been over 20 days without any sightings. This could be bad.

Ah, there it is. Hong Kong is pretty far but let's try!

YES! Let's kick 'em where it hurts!

Marsal

Arcane
Great LP! I loled at "third nostril" bit. Sign me up and try not to kill me!

Edit: Maybe you should post the roster before each mission and we could guess who dies and how. The winner gets a reincarnation token :)

sheek

Arbiter
Wow - last mission was EPIC! 58 turns? How did Edward R Murrow survive that long without medikits?

BTW what program do you use to take screenshots? I like the way you capture explosions and shots, I only ever manage to capture anything when nothing is moving. Is it the Windows CE version?

Marsal said:
Great LP! I loled at "third nostril" bit. Sign me up and try not to kill me!

Edit: Maybe you should post the roster before each mission and we could guess who dies and how. The winner gets a reincarnation token :)
I don't like to bet against myself but I'm pretty sure this will by my last. DU must have some superhuman stats or luck to still be alive and be the first out every mission.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Marsal - I usually play mission through and then Geoscape until the next mission and that's one post. Dunno how I should do it? Put up the roster before a mission so it's the last pic? Then you could take your bets while I prepare the next posting? I could try that.

Sheek - I had managed to make just one medikit so Oldschool healed Edward_R_Murrow after the sub was cleared. I use DosBox 0.72 and TFTD is the dos-version, I think. I just press Ctrl+F5 to take screenshots. I turned shot sheep down to 2 in options and alien walking speed down to 3 so I little more time, then I just keep ctrl pressend and one finger above F5, waiting for "shots of opportunity" :P

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
You do this the ironman way ? You're a true fighter. Alien bases will be hell on earth. Or rather hell underwater.

Thanks for showing the research results screens. That's one of my favorite parts of the game.

Also, please consider adding me again as Rico this time. :wink:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Allrighty, time to crank up ol' Guns'N'Roses - Welcome to the Jungle! LET'S ROCK'N'ROLL!

So, the new and improved Machine Spirit is barely out of the sub and it spots a new kind of alien!

EAT ROCKET FOUL BEAST!

Eh, what? WHAT? WHAAAAAT!?!?!?! Why didn't anyone tell me THAT THE GOD-DAMNED TANK IS USELESS ABOVE WATER!?!?!?

Oohkey, this terror mission just turned bit more exciting then. Machine Spirit shall be an excellent and expensive scout then. And he does that well, spotting second creepy-jeepy shortly.

So, this means that DU will get the honor of slaying the first new alien. Except his RPG won't work either. CRAP. Ooookay, Nedrah with the autocannon, turn around and spots a THIRD alien!

Just keeps getting better and better! JarlFrank bravely steps outside the ship, takes careful aim and get results:

OccasionallyFatal can't shoot the alien behind the fence for some odd reason, so he primed a grenade and threw it in. Hopefully it'll mess the aliens day for good. As he turns, he spots a FOURTH alien - lovely:

Luckily they block the doorway so no-one else can get out. Oh well, either the whole TEAM is gonna get killed right now... or not.

YES! The alien pulsar grenade turned that turd into many smaller turd-pieces.

Aliens took some shots at Machine Spirit and killed a sailor and shuffled around a bit.

This is the area just west of Triton:

Can you spell 'ambush'? Luckily Machine Spirit saw them and foiled their dastardly plan. OccasionallyFatal saw 3 aliens on the next square, took a shot but missed so he ran towards cover to let others out of the ship. Now JarlFrank... dammit, he did the exact same thing. Well, then Ashery stepped out, took a shot, managed to hit it but didn't kill the beast:

Jasede took a shot with Gas Cannon, missed so Elhoim had to step up, prime a pulsar and throw it next to the two Gillmen.

Sheek took a shot at the third one, missed dammit. As did Annie Carlson WHO ALSO MISSED! As did DU with his pea-shooter pistol. Finally Dicksmoker, as the last man out of the sub, took a shot and HIT the bastard... who didn't fall. CRAP.

Yeah I know, that just screams for aliens to throw a 'nade or shoot an RPG into it but meh.

YES! The alien pulsar that Elhoim threw managed to kill all three aliens. Bit of good luck for the good guys. Screams were heard in the distance - foreboding.

Ashery took a shot at the Gillman hiding on the 2nd floor but missed. As did JarlFrank. DU climbed into the tower next to our sub and spotted three aliens, took a shot at one of them, hit but his pistol failed to kill it and kneeled for safety.

Sheek took a shot across the big yard, scored a hit but not a kill. These guys seem to be tougher than usual. Oh well.

CRAP! Gillmen shot DU in the back across the yard, he's toast now:

More screams heard. I'm thinking that there's not that many civilians to save, soon. Oh well, that's life in the dangerous 2040s.

YES! JarlFrank drops the one of the green monkeys with a well-placed hit!

Nedrah throws another grenade for good measure, while Dicksmoker gives some covering fire. Hopefully.

Sheek misses, Annie sees TWO nasty aliens, primes a grenade and throws it BUT THE BASTARDS get reaction fire off and ZAP Annie!

No time to cry that. Both of the pulsar-grenades go off flawlessly:

(I actually took the second just tad too early, the explosion gfx hasn't formed completely. Oh well, you get the idea)

Elhoim sees another Gillman and drops it with a well-aimed shot.

Sheek almost does the same but the nasty bugger won't die from just one shot. Ominously, he's crouching over DU's corpse. Hopefully, no tea-bagging is taking place...

Meanwhile, Dicksmoker has an perfect target:

Too bad he screws it up, hitting some barrels. Hopefully the alien didn't notice. Nedrah gets Annies stuff.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK! Someone tossed a pulsar and blew up both Nedrah and Jasede. Casualties are mounting up AGAIN!

Dicksmoker and Sheek took some potshots at the two aliens on the east side but scored no hits.

FUCK AGAIN! Sheek ate sonic blast - obviously from the same alien that tossed that pulsar before. Goddammit, should have checked that corner better!

That means that Edward_R_Murrow, resting comfortably in hospital, is our most senior trooper now. Oh well. As JarlFrank scurries towards the factory door where two aliens have been spotted, Ashery spots one of them, lets loose and scores a kill! GOOD MAN!

Nothing major during aliens turn. Someone took a shot at Machine Spirit. There's atleast 3 aliens left, possibly 1-2 more. I HOPE. It's all guesstimates at this point anyway.

Ashery is BADASS! With a perfect 3-round burst, he drops another hostile into a pile of goo:

WTF?! Dicksmoker JUST DIED! Nothing hit him, as far as I could see. GODDAMIT!

Nice JarlFrank, real nice.

OH FUCKING GREAT! As Ashery was waiting for JarlFrank and OccasionallyFatal to be his backup, this Gillman just steps out and WHACKS HIM! OccasionallyFatal gets a reaction shoot but misses. And spots that there's atleast 2 Gillmen inside that hut. Which means there's atleat FOUR aliens left alive.

Allrighty, JarlFrank will blow that hut with his pulsar-grenade and OccasionallyFatal will finish off any survivors... OH SWEET JESUS - thanks guys, that's just what we need now!

Machine Spirit scouts around - spotting more aliens. Now there's confirmed sightings of atleast five aliens - four gillmen and one of those gray whachamacallit's.

DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN - there's grenades flying and shit blowing up everywhere and shots here and there and in the end:

Yeah, OccasionallyFatal is dead. Machine Spirit is still alive but useless. It's all up to JarlFrank now. So what does he do? Takes few steps forward, spots two aliens, shoots the closes one twice, hits it and then ducks behind some debris since the alien didn't want to die.

JarlFrank picks up OccasionallyFatals gun and ammo, steps around the corner, spots the aliens again, rips away with a burst - AND MISSES AND THE FUCKING BEAST REACTION FIRES BACK AND------

There's no words. No fucking words.

Machine Spirit, it's just you and your USELESS jet-torpedo thingy.

Yeah, that's the button. Press it before they blow the Triton aswell.

Yeah, that's gonna look real good to the investors.

sheek

Arbiter
Ouch! Who's left? Edward R Murrow and ?? Bad time for a base attack...

Finding out half of your weapons won't work is always a nice surprise, but that's the TFTD experience.

Marsal

Arcane
Holy crap! Are you Russian by any chance, GarfunkeL?

It's like the summer of 1941 all over again :)

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Allrighty, let's not dwell in our sorrows. Comrades have been lost but the WAR continues. Earth must be saved! And no, I'm not Russian :D

Next on research is the actual Sonic Blaster (rifle) so we'll have little more firepower soon. Plenty of new Seamen needed to bolster up the ranks:

Since we lost all equipment, I had to order bunch of new guns and ammo and workers will manufacture some new medikits aswell.

And february is over. Not as bad as I feared but pretty devastating anyhow:

Atleast research is still going strong:

I added the one rifle I had in store (I had sold the rest of them) to Triton.

Couple of days pass and lo and behold:

Damn, it's been 20 days already and no contacts at all!

YES! NO! FUCK! Okay, we gotta leave the tank behind and get four more troopers aboard. Then we'll kick ass!

Or not. Since Triton didn't make it in time after I had done the changes. FUCK!

Action!

I sent both Barracudas after it, let's see what happens.

Naturally. I put 'em on patrol mode but prolly won't find anything anymore.

Damnation! Now it's really NOT going well. Luckily my scientists always have good news:

A week passes, without anything else but this:

I'm really getting frustrated here. Small or medium alien sub, please!

Oh well, guess it's better than nothing. I'll put the workers to make some Gauss Pistols for export, it's atleast something for them to do and enables me to make some profit.

If I remember correctly, Gauss weapons didn't work above water so they are pretty useless at this point.

I decide to take a risk and build a second base, just to widen my chances of intercepting alien subs.

If this doesn't work, I'm gonna go bankrupt soon. Dammit!

More research...

SUB! YES!

...and it got away...

YES! This we won't fail boys, right? GIVE 'EM HELL!

mahdi

Liturgist
I lolled at underwater weapons not working on land. It looks like your base is in the wrong area. Show us the graphs for USO activity please. Keep up the good work. That is, if you aren't fired soon. :lol:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Okay boys and girls, this is it. This is the last stand. We either emerge here victorious or Earth WILL fall! Let not history dwell cruelly on us! Let us MAKE history - for today, WE SHALL HAVE GLORY!

God damnit! That's not a good way to start! R.I.P SlavemasterT. That even rhymes! Figures, he was meant to die as a hero. The shot came from south but nobody has any visual. Too bad.

Oh yes, Marsal rushes the house, spots some hovering abominations, sprays it with bullets and get zilch results. Great.

Korgan pumped out a sonic boom towards yet another disgusting looking thingy but missed.

As did Edward_R_Murrow. And DraQ. As did BethesdaLove. And Andhaira. GOD DAMN YOU MAGGOTS! Rico and Slenkar tried to help Marsal rush the floating thingy but to no discernable result. All sorts of screams and sounds are heard in the distance and aliens close in on us!

AND THE BASTARDS KILLED EDWARD_R_MURROWS! BASTARDS!

Oh well. War needs heroes and you can't make heroes without sacrifices. :salute:

Andhaira blasts the floating disc-thingy but misses. BethesdaLove spots another alien, gives it a shot but the bastard doesn't doe.

DraQ hits the floating thingy but it refuses to die aswell. Trash picks up trash from the corpses. Marsal, Rico and Slenkar pound bullets into the alien but they tend to hit either walls or Rico's ass. Good work boys.

Spacemoose, Nomask7 and Gragt take some shots against various aliens but either miss or the shots produce no results. And as is fitting, while Oscarisaiah was maneuvering for a firing position, he got slapped by the alien upstairs thanks to reactionary fire. Yeah, that's one cool-headed alien asshole - waiting patiently for THREE guys to empty their TU's and clips at him until that fourth guy walks into a perfect killzone.

Not looking good at all. Three men lost, no aliens killed yet. Korgan uses his sonic pistol to whip some sense into an alien but the bastard just laps the shots in and doesn't have the sense to die.

And aliens turn and it all goes merrily off into Hell with a handbasket.

Alien upstairs throws a grenade down, destroying the house and killing all inside - Rico, Marsal and Slenkar bite the fragments and join the Heavenly Choir. Not content with that, aliens shoot Andhaira as well. People go nuts:

Spacemoose runs into crossfire and gets killed. Korgan wastes his TU's shooting wildy around, hitting jack shit. This is so bad, there's not even words to describe it.

And I can't do anything, since all TU's are gone.

Oh well. Wonder if anyone will survive aliens next turn?

Well, Korgan, BethesdaLove, Trash, Gragt and Nomask7 are still alive but each and everyone of them panicked again. So it's more turkey shoot for the bad guys.

Oookey, Korgan and BethesdaLove got some melee zapping from the floating discs. Trash, Gragt and Nomask7 are STILL panicking. God dammit guys, pull it together!

UH-OH. there's a shit big explosion...

You know what that means...

The epic failure music is fucking depressing. Wonder if I'll still have my job at the end of the month?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Allrighty, let's not completely despair. We got new research. We just need to bounce back. Too bad we don't have 500k to buy a new Triton but with little manufacturing and selling, that'll come to us.

We got some soldiers left still - granted they are rookies but hey, just a small sub or two away from greatness. Positive thinking!

And more research.

I'm sacking 2/3rds of the scientists to save up with wages, since there's nothing to actually research at the moment.

Crap, it's end of the month.

OH SNAP!

They should've given me one more month! JUST ONE MONTH!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Bit weird game in the end - shitload of small subs at the beginning, then suddenly nothing for months except four terror missions on a row. Oh well, managed to remind myself why it's called an hard game anyway :P Should have been more careful and slower in the terror missions but atleast it made for some entertaining moments before the end.

Marsal

Arcane
Well at least I didn't die a coward. My only regret is that I have only one life to give :)

This was very entertaining. Give it another go? Now that you have managed to sacrifice half the Codex to alien scum, you should be able to do a better job ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom