Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's find out if Mistmare is the worst RPG of all time

Twinkle

Liturgist
On very rare occasions, immensely abysmal games have been reviewed: Postal2 by Robert Coffey, Mistmare by Jeff Green, and Dungeon Lords by Denice Cook, three games which "...form an unholy trinity of the only games in CGW history to receive zero-star reviews."
From Wikipedia.
Trannies and gentlemen, you may know my strange affinity for LPing crappy games no one else would touch. But I shoot for a much higher target still. It's not a piece of overrated mediocrity (Dragon Age). Not a "so bad it's funny" AAA trainwreck (Dragon Age 2). Not a "could've been cool if devs prioritized gameplay over graphics" (Nocturne). It's just really bad in every possible way. For some reason bad games about Inquisition recently saw a surge in popularity, even Bioware is making one. That's not to say that the game didn't have any potentially redeeming qualities. Released just a few months before infamous Interplay "classic" Lionheart it shared the same premise - an alternate history setting which divergent from "our" Middle Ages after a certain cataclysmic event. Let's explore the backstory a bit:​
It is near the end of the second millenium. The old continent has been ravaged by 600 years of menace: a horrible fog, destroying the minds of anyone who dares to enter it, is covering most of what was once called Europe. The Fog has claimed the lives of millions and pushed the civilization to the southern lands of the continent. The Holy Roman Republic, the only surviving state in the southern part of the continent, has been unable to fight the Fog, although it has been practicing powerful and useful liturgical magic for hundreds of years. In the 13th century, the Church has been able to eliminate the plague epidemic using its then-powerful Link towers, a spell-casting mechanism connecting all majors European cathedrals, but has been since able only to create a volatile northern border, preventing the Fog to spread to its southern lands.
Today the Holy Roman Republic is isolated: to the north, the Fogs prohibits all passage. Anyone wandering into the Fog has never returned, their minds destroyed by the Fog. Towns that border the Fog are protected with harmonic tolling, a magical spell cast using magically crafted church bells. To the south and east, warring nations of Northern Africa and Middle East make trade and communication extremely difficult.
To the west, the Fog has spread to the seas and prevents sea travel. No ships that have sailed through the Straights of Gibraltar to the west have ever returned. The self-contained Holy Roman Republic, ruled by the Church, enjoys relative prosperity, although significantly underdeveloped compared to the rest of the world. The state lives in feudalism; the Church, using its armed forces and the Inquisition, a special brand of sorcerer monks, controls the lives of people. Simple folk endure and assure each other that one day, The Prophecy, foretold of old, shall come to pass and the continent will be saved. Periodically, peasant revolt to try and shake the iron rule, but all are crushed.
So, to summarize: the Western Civilization is endangered, stagnating and coming to the brink of collapse. The magical Fog (think Stephen King) covers the majority of the continent, spawns horrible monsters and drives people mad. Spellcasting is real and is actively employed by the Church. Americas were never discovered. The Church regulates every aspect of lives of normal people, crushing everyone who dares to oppose it with powers of both might and magic. Curiously, Islamic nations were never affected by the horrors of the Fog. Only their warlike nature prevents them from uniting and delivering the fatal blow to the Holy Roman Republic.​
Typically for European action-rpgs you control one fixed protagonist. His name is Isador, a 18 years old monk. He has a somewhat special background:​
The last peasant revolt against the Church occurred in the northeastern realms of Carniola in 1978. After the clash between the peasant force and the Church army, the peasant leaders retreated to the edge of the Fog. When the scouts reached their camp, they found no survivors - except for a raving old man and a crying baby. The Church soldiers delivered the baby boy to a local orphanage. The nuns of the orphanage named the baby Isador - after a local saints, renowned for his good deeds. At the age of 18, Isador leaves the orphanage. Driven by a stro9ng desire to serve God, which had saved him from the horrors of the Fog, he enrolls in he Church army corps.
At the beginning of the game he is tabula rasa, not proficient in anything. Through character development player can make him more physically or magically inclined, but regardless of your preferences he'll end up being some kind of a battlemage who utilizes both spells and weapons in combat.​
Skills and stats are only raised by learning by use. Player can't assign anything manually. The are multiple possibilities of raising his abilities outside of combat (books, special shrines, trainers etc.) Several non-combat skills exist (lockpicking, disarming traps, lore, persuasion etc.)​
In a fairly standard fashion for action-RPGs you have health and stamina bars. Stamina is drained both in melee combat and spellcasting. It regenerates fairly quickly but to fully recover it Isador has to sleep or gulp a potion.​
Combat system is very simplistic offering little manual control and governed by character's abilities and weapon stats. The latter part is good, probably, but the only thing you do in melee is watching bad slowass animations. You can switch between defensive and offensive modes depending on how much stamina you have left, but that's the extent of it. Magic is more fun offering a good range of buffs and offensive spells which aren't just recolored magic missiles. The good thing is that there are multiple schools of combat (which differ in stamina requirements, chance to hit and damage output) *cough Geralt* covering pretty every weapon you find in the game and even unarmed combat. The said schools are taught by some NPCs or learned by fighting with enemies who utilize them. The bad thing is that they are mostly of a cosmetic difference and schools that offer a fast barrage of strikes that keeps enemy in stunlock are almost always preferable. For some weapons you can choose between one-handed and two-handed grips.​
Overall structure of the game is pretty linear, there is not much optional content there to explore. You have several chapters each taking place in some city that acts as a quest hub and wandering through randomly generated monster-filled fog areas outside.​
That ties with probably the most aggravating thing about the game - harsh time limit on pretty much everything you do. At certain events time becomes "locked" and you can't do anything except story-related quests, not even interacting with non-critical NPCs. I understand it was done to counter exploitable nature of learn by use character development but it simply doesn't work. See, the game doesn't let you to save manually (without workarounds at least), it autosaves on regular intervals and when you exit the game. Sounds not too bad, right? Except when you die you get an option to resurrect your character at the beginning of the chapter while keeping all your loot and accumulated skills intact. It tries to balance by scaling monsters to your "level", hurr. Yet if you die in one spot several times you can opt for lowering monster strength in the menu. So a demigod fighting wimps is just a matter of minutes of dedicated clicking.​
Well, whatever. I'm done ranting, let's start with the game proper.​
Intro basically retells background fluff taken from the manual.
mi01-01.jpg
mi01-02.jpg
mi01-03.jpg
mi01-04.jpg
It begins in the military camp.​
mi01-05.jpg
An officer approaches our hero.​
mi01-06.jpg
Them choices.​
mi01-07.jpg
Let's test our mettle first and find the sarge.​
mi01-08.jpg
mi01-09.jpg
He tells Isador about managing stamina in combat and the importance of being prepared since you are unable to fiddle with inventory once you are in combat mode. I have no weapons yet.​
mi01-10.jpg
mi01-11.jpg
A basic set of armor and a few training weapons are stored in the chest nearby.​
mi01-12.jpg
mi01-13.jpg
OK, I equip this junk.​
mi01-14.jpg
Hoorah!​
mi01-15.jpg
Izzy managed to score one successful hit, but soon is quickly overwhelmed by relentless sarge and his blocking skills are too sucky.​
mi01-16.jpg
mi01-17.jpg
mi01-18.jpg
mi01-19.jpg
Notice that time of day has changed. It happens after every lost combat encounter. Well, I need to boost my ego and thus I offer a duel to one of the fellow soldiers.​
mi01-20.jpg
He's only level one and is hardly any more dangerous than a target dummy. Honor restored.​
mi01-21.jpg
mi01-22.jpg
Time to complete the test of knowledge.​
mi01-23.jpg
Uh, hello.​
mi01-24.jpg
mi01-25.jpg
The whole test is just a lore dump. You don't have to pick answers on your own: Izzy will do everything automatically.​
mi01-26.jpg
mi01-27.jpg
mi01-28.jpg
I guess that confirms that Islam is the superior religion. :smug:
mi01-29.jpg
mi01-30.jpg
mi01-31.jpg
mi01-32.jpg
mi01-33.jpg
mi01-34.jpg
mi01-35.jpg
mi01-36.jpg
I completed the mandatory part. Now I'm free to dick around the base. Let's pilfer some chests - friendly people here don't mind.​
mi01-37.jpg
mi01-38.jpg
Isador managed to pick locks on the very first attempt but it took him many hours. A mechanical warrior helps to boost combat prowess.​
mi01-39.jpg
Meditating at shrines can be very beneficial too.​
mi01-40.jpg
In his inventory Izzy always carries Holy Bible and a pair of weights. They can be used to upgrade his spiritual and corporeal aspects respectively without any need to use shrines or trainers.​
mi01-41.jpg
mi01-42.jpg
Note the small stamina bar in the lower right corner. Intensive training and fighting drain maximum stamina limit. The only sure way to restore it is sleeping. For that reason Izzy carries a sleeping bag on him.​
mi01-43.jpg
Let's train some more.​
mi01-44.jpg
mi01-45.jpg
mi01-46.jpg
Uh huh. Note the gray interaction icon in the upper left corner. It means that I triggered the dreaded time lock and must complete a story-related quest.​
mi01-47.jpg
mi01-48.jpg
Call of Duty: Medieval Warfare? Count me in.​
mi01-49.jpg
And... the screen just fades to black.​
:what:
Such a missed opportunity to provide emotionally engaging directed experience. Shit devs, what can I say.​
mi01-50.jpg
I UNLEASHED MY INNER DOVAHKIIN, SIR.​
mi01-51.jpg
mi01-52.jpg
mi01-53.jpg
So this is the first (sorta) choice in the game. What should we do?​
A) Magic is for fags. Let's stay in the camp and pump sum iron.​
or​
b) Let's learn how to FUS-ROH-DAH fuckers into oblivion and enroll Hogwarts the academy ASAP.​

lightbane

Arcane
Let's invest into magical knowledge so we can serve Tzeench God with greater efficiency.

Twinkle

Liturgist
PROLOGUE (continued)

So way of the voice it is.

mi02-01.jpg

Somewhere near Athens. Leaders of the academy greet newly arrived recruits

mi02-02.jpg

mi02-03.jpg

Oh Izzy, you are such a brown noser. OK, what's out ask...

mi02-04.jpg

Yeah, we need to rest after such a long and arduous which took exactly zero days if you believe ingame calendar. :lol:

Except some jerk blocks Isador's way.

mi02-05.jpg

It culminates in a short fight, interrupted by one of the mentors.

mi02-06.jpg

mi02-07.jpg

mi02-08.jpg

Yeah cleaning toilets is a very appropriate task for such valiant knights in God's service.

mi02-09.jpg

mi02-10.jpg

mi02-11.jpg

mi02-12.jpg

And they become brothers... in shit.

On the next day (?), in a classroom.

mi02-13.jpg

mi02-14.jpg

mi02-15.jpg

His explanation is too long winded so I'll streamline it. Spells are divided into two categories - harmonies (buffs) and shrieks (offensive spells). There are multiple schools of mngic, each focusing on different things. Within one school you get three spells each corresponding to one of aspects - Terran, Lunar or Solar. So, for example a school of Purification that you study in the Academy consists of three spells. Terran version boosts your strength, lunar version boosts agility and solar version invokes health regeneration. What's more is that p. much every piece of Isador's equipment affects the said spheres, so your current outfit and weapon you carry matter a lot even if you focus just on spellcasting. Magic system itself is pretty interesting, too bad you in real fight spamming the same shriek over and over is more beneficial than more thoughtful and tactical approach. There are no limits on how many spells you can cast apart from stamina bar.

mi02-16.jpg

Let's loot some more - NPCs don't care if their stuff is being stolen.

mi02-17.jpg

Time to unleash our magic skills.

mi02-18.jpg

I check the character sheet. As you can see all spheres are very week and both disruption and purfication are at their starting level.

mi02-19.jpg

mi02-20.jpg

Make your move, old fart. Since melee is prohibited trying to damage his strength or agility is pointless. Instead I focus on a losar shriek which works like reverse regeneration draining target's health points, while healing muself from time to time.

mi02-21.jpg

mi02-22.jpg

mi02-23.jpg

I wasted all of my stamina on him, but won.

I exlore a small chapel to the north. Several books and an altar provide good learning material.

mi02-24.jpg

mi02-25.jpg

mi02-26.jpg

After some training, Izzy gets a notification.

mi02-27.jpg

I don't care, but business is business.

mi02-28.jpg

mi02-29.jpg

mi02-30.jpg

Oh, I'm sure Tommy will be really glad to hear this.

mi02-31.jpg

mi02-32.jpg

Izzy spends more time on training.

mi02-33.jpg

The moment has come. Isador has become a certified member of the Inquisition.

mi02-34.jpg

mi02-35.jpg

mi02-36.jpg

Time to say bye to our "friend".

mi02-37.jpg

That's what you get for putting hos before bros, infidel.

mi02-38.jpg

Arivederci, you hipster jerk. It was nice not knowing you. :salute:

mi02-39.jpg

mi02-40.jpg

Sadly, equipped armor doesn't show on character's model. :(

mi02-41.jpg

mi02-42.jpg

Some more mental exercises...

mi02-43.jpg

... and I'm good to go. Tutorial is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRNcHBMsLKI&feature=youtu.be

Kashmir Slippers

Magister
Am I the only one who is bothered by it being the "Holy Roman Republic"?

It said that it was ruled by the church and still largely feudal. Maybe I missed something.

Twinkle

Liturgist
CHAPTER 1: ROME

PART 1

Isador and his mentor arrive in the Eternal City.

mi03-01.jpg

mi03-02.jpg

mi03-03.jpg

mi03-04.jpg

mi03-05.jpg

Hooray! I'm a fart of special order of bass monks. I hope order I receive will reflect that, right. For now, pilfering is the best way to pass time. I'm sure Izzy's copy of Bible lacked 8th commandment. God surely works in mysterious ways.

mi03-06.jpg

Getting tired of "acquiring" redundant assets Isador sees a weird dream. Some boy (probably himself) is consumed by ugly monstrosity.

mi03-07.jpg

mi03-08.jpg

No need to dwell on this, yet. Isador walks all the way to Vatican Bridge through dark, empty streets of Rome.

mi03-09.jpg

mi03-10.jpg

mi03-11.jpg

It's locked. While the game doesn't feature full-scale life simulation al-la Gothic, time of day matters as during night most NPCs disappear and properties become closed.

mi03-12.jpg

Yet during morning I still can't get in. Whatever, we use free time to dick around the city.

mi03-13.jpg

And the first sidequest finds us. "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise", so why not?

mi03-14.jpg

mi03-15.jpg

Izzy's nimble fingers disable lock in a few hours.

mi03-16.jpg

Dude is just drunk to (almost literal) death.

mi03-17.jpg

mi03-18.jpg

This amulet is actually pretty nice. Interesting bit of lore, too.

mi03-19.jpg

Circling around the city, Isador visits a circus performance.

mi03-20.jpg

Three powerful kicks and clumsy Inquisitor bites the dust. But a moment of shame is nothing in the grand scheme of things, for he learned muthafukkin KUNG FU! :yeah:

mi03-21.jpg

mi03-22.jpg

Shortly after resurrection this prompt appears in the journal.

mi03-23.jpg

And gates of Vatican finally opened before young monk.

mi03-24.jpg

mi03-25.jpg

Too bad you'll never get a chance to see Pope himself.

mi03-26.jpg

So it's all about controlling minds of the sheep.

mi03-27.jpg

mi03-28.jpg

mi03-29.jpg

mi03-30.jpg

That's weird. Why did the cardinal refuse to speak plainly while brother Romano was present? Something fishy about this guy.

mi03-31.jpg

Welp. Again I have nothing better to do other that wandering around roleplay good samaritan. Maybe city authorities need some assistance too.

mi03-32.jpg

mi03-33.jpg

mi03-34.jpg

mi03-35.jpg

mi03-36.jpg

mi03-37.jpg

Jerks.

The newspaper salesman may know something useful about the professor.

mi03-38.jpg

mi03-39.jpg

mi03-40.jpg

mi03-41.jpg

Isador quickly discovers the house salesman mentioned but decides against breaking in following cardinal's request.Instead he'll visit a pharmacist and a blacksmith to sell some junk and buy potions.

mi03-42.jpg

Wait dude, how do you know my name?

mi03-43.jpg

mi03-45.jpg

What the hell???

mi03-46.jpg

Inquisitor monk acting as go-between. That's gross.

mi03-47.jpg

mi03-48.jpg

Bought the damn necklace.

mi03-49.jpg

mi03-50.jpg

ugh...

mi03-51.jpg

mi03-52.jpg

As a payment she gives enchanted binoculars. Apparently they increase wearer's spotting abilities.

mi03-53.jpg

Asian stuff... of a good quality.

mi03-54.jpg

Next we are going for the feather.

mi03-55.jpg

mi03-56.jpg

Too bad you can't attack NPCs on a whim in this game. We'll need to find another way to get the feather but it's too time consuming. Instead I'll just pray.

mi03-57.jpg

OK, Let's hear cardinal's offer.

mi03-58.jpg

mi03-59.jpg

On the way to the meeting point Izzy was waylaid by several robbers. For some reason their AI glitched and they never attacked. Good practice for his kung-fu skills.

mi03-60.jpg

mi03-61.jpg

mi03-62.jpg

mi03-63.jpg

And here we go.

mi03-64.jpg

mi03-65.jpg

The cardinal advocates a more "permanent" solution of this problem, heavy implying that it comes from Pope himself. One of the main flaws of game's dialog system is the fact that like in TWitcher 1 you have very little control on what your PC will say, and often conversations consist of just clicking continue button. A serious drawback for a game so heavy on text.

OK, let's get inside professor's house and scour through it.

mi03-66.jpg

mi03-67.jpg

The house is empty but Isador finds a diary that points to professor's hideout.

mi03-68.jpg

There are two ways to get inside. Either bribe a guard or fight through adjacent mafia house. Being a tightwad I'll try the latter. But gangtas won't let me in until I find correct passphrase.

mi03-69.jpg

One drunkard in local tavern just spits it out.

mi03-70.jpg

And I try the guard. Bluff doesn't work on him, and he asks for 3000 gp. Too much for my inner jew.

mi03-71.jpg

Criminals, here I come.

mi03-72.jpg

Cover = blown. Didn't expect anything else.

mi03-73.jpg

I'm just fus-roh-dahing him while keeping a distance.

mi03-74.jpg

mi03-75.jpg

mi03-76.jpg

More mafia goons wait upstairs but I just pull them one by one.

mi03-77.jpg

mi03-78.jpg

mi03-79.jpg

mi03-80.jpg

mi03-81.jpg

The boss himself. Sure I'll kick his but too.

mi03-82.jpg

What? One strike and Izzy goes the way of Jesus. Good thing that in critical situations respawn doesn't cost you any time.

mi03-83.jpg

mi03-84.jpg

OK, I'll have to pay the guard.

mi03-85.jpg

The military academy is dark and empty. Few guards patrol its narrow hallways but they are easily avoided.

mi03-86.jpg

mi03-87.jpg

Got your heretical ass!

mi03-88.jpg

So bros what shall we do?

A) No deals with the Devil. Extreme times require extreme solutions. Kill the heretic, stop the lies.

or

B) Our Lord said: "Thou shalt not kill". Even though Isador is violating this principle on regular basis, offing a harmless old man is too much. Let him go.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I'm for B), unless we want Izzy to be an Izzy Shepard I guess. Killing just seems too much.

This game is a little...overly wordy. I gotta admit I skimmed a lot of the rants rather than read all of it. Still, setting seems novel enough, and magic system seems fine. The plot pacing is weird as shit tho

FUDU

Arcane
Pretty good LP so far. It doesn't seem like the worst RPG of all time. Then again, neither did Oblivion, in the beginning.

Lindblum

Augur
B
No one is going to pick A come on...

Also if we get stronger can we kick the Dons face in?

Twinkle

Liturgist
CHAPTER 1, PART 2

Wusses!

mi04-01.jpg

But, yeah, the manuscript itself could be interesting.

mi04-02.jpg

The plot thickens. The Professor plainly states that the Church was involved in the sudden appearance of the Fog. Ignorant Izzy deemed it all heresy, so we won't get more detailed summary of its contents, sadly.

mi04-03.jpg

Time to report our success.

mi04-04.jpg

mi04-05.jpg

Looting Vatican grounds was a massive disappointment. Same low-level crap as everywhere.

mi04-06.jpg

Going back to sidequesting. This kid is going to steal a newspaper. But...

mi04-07.jpg

...Izzy catches his hand on the spot.

mi04-08.jpg

Hmm, pawn shop owner is involved. Pretty logical.

Though now I will grab the damned feather.

mi04-09.jpg

Warehouse is protected by Mafia goons rather than regular guards. Interesting touch.

mi04-10.jpg

mi04-11.jpg

Got it.

mi04-12.jpg

mi04-13.jpg

Renegade approach worked marvelous on the pawn shop owner.

mi04-14.jpg

mi04-15.jpg

mi04-16.jpg

Going inside bandit hideout can be too time-consuming so I'll just wait to advance the main quest.

mi04-17.jpg

mi04-18.jpg

mi04-19.jpg

mi04-20.jpg

Harvesters? At least not Reapers. :M

mi04-21.jpg

mi04-22.jpg

The said trinkets kinda sucked tho.

So I'm going to finish burglaries once and for all. Also, test that pretty scimitar I looted from the warehouse.

mi04-23.jpg

GANGBANG! Again and again. What can a hardcore role-player do?

mi04-24.jpg

Correct answer: Scale game to his level :yeah:

mi04-25.jpg

Uno

mi04-26.jpg

Due

mi04-27.jpg

Tre

mi04-28.jpg

mi04-29.jpg

He doesn't seems to be particularly happy tho. Why?

mi04-30.jpg

Kill all rats? :yeah:

mi04-31.jpg

mi04-32.jpg

mi04-33.jpg

mi04-34.jpg

mi04-35.jpg

Let's visit the catacombs.

mi04-36.jpg

Mistmare may suck at many things but at least developers know their roots.

mi04-37.jpg

mi04-38.jpg

mi04-39.jpg

mi04-40.jpg

mi04-41.jpg

It seems that exterminators were... exterminated.

mi04-42.jpg

Back on the streets of Rome one monk stops Isador.

mi04-43.jpg

mi04-44.jpg

mi04-45.jpg

Where criminals gather? Of course, a local tavern.

mi04-46.jpg

Bullshits! Isador hears commotion upstairs. I'll catch you thieving SOB!

mi04-47.jpg

mi04-48.jpg

Not just park. Thief went straight to cardinal Bertagnolio.

mi04-49.jpg

mi04-50.jpg

mi04-51.jpg

mi04-52.jpg

mi04-53.jpg

Old son of a bitch plays dirty. Sadly, nothing can be done against him.

mi04-54.jpg

mi04-55.jpg

mi04-56.jpg

Conspiracy inside conspiracy. Whatever, I need to finish side content for good.

mi04-57.jpg

Back to the underground.

mi04-58.jpg

mi04-59.jpg

mi04-60.jpg

mi04-61.jpg

mi04-62.jpg

mi04-63.jpg

Now the funny part is that the bomb is totally useless. It never explodes and doesn't even have an ingame model. Setting it up just spawns fat but completely harmless fat rat queen. But she is of a relatively high level so practicing kung-fu on her is pretty cool pastime.

mi04-64.jpg

Yeah Izzy needs to be more agile. Can't handle multiple opponents without resorting to nextgenities, and kung-fu prohibits carrying shields.

mi04-65.jpg

mi04-66.jpg

mi04-67.jpg

mi04-68.jpg

mi04-69.jpg

Eh, pointless errand. I know kung-fu already.

mi04-70.jpg

So I'm done with sidequests here. Just some story-related stuff remains.

mi04-71.jpg

mi04-72.jpg

mi04-73.jpg

mi04-74.jpg

mi04-75.jpg

mi04-76.jpg

mi04-77.jpg

Chasing a rogue Spectre across monster-infested Euroland. Oh, man! :bounce:

Checking the monastery first.

mi04-78.jpg

Going Shepard on old man allowed me to skip a particularly shitty fetch quest. Good.

mi04-79.jpg

mi04-80.jpg

Shavier himself was absent in the cellars.

mi04-81.jpg

But he couldn't carry his hyper-weapon with him.

mi04-82.jpg

mi04-83.jpg

mi04-84.jpg

mi04-85.jpg

Even killing protagonist's foster father. A build-up for a quality revenge drama?

mi04-86.jpg

Before setting out for Avignon I buy every healing item available.

mi04-87.jpg

mi04-88.jpg

Arrivederci.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qxKt5VW8CM&feature=youtu.be

Twinkle

Liturgist
CHAPTER 2: AVIGNON

Where Isador arrives at night

mi05-01.jpg

I must say I liked Avignon more visually. It looks more like a medieval town rather than something put together in 3dsmax in two days. Shame it's too small and empty to feel like a real place.

mi05-02.jpg

It hosts a Papal Palace, where one french king wanted to make His Holiness his bitch. It still serves as a seat of power in the world of Mistmare.

mi05-03.jpg

mi05-04.jpg

mi05-05.jpg

mi05-06.jpg

mi05-07.jpg

mi05-08.jpg

Hmm, the Templars. True villains of the story?

Okay, let's start with women.

mi05-09.jpg

mi05-10.jpg

mi05-11.jpg

So this spiked tower is templars' hideout. Come out, you heretics!

mi05-12.jpg

They openly refuse to let Isador in. Need to find another way.

mi05-13.jpg

The last possible refuge.

mi05-14.jpg

mi05-15.jpg

Soon, another monk bursts in.

mi05-16.jpg

Yeah, collecting renegade points.

mi05-17.jpg

So let's demonstrate them provincial faggots some quality witchery.

mi05-18.jpg

Ha ha, one lady decides to join a good fight and begins to pound monster with her mighty fists. :salute:

mi05-19.jpg

Later a monk joins the fray but his help isn't needed.

mi05-20.jpg

mi05-21.jpg

mi05-22.jpg

mi05-23.jpg

The reward is a freaking crown tho it is displayed as helmet in-game. An excellent item.

mi05-24.jpg

Time to interrogate guards posted near the gate. If Shavier already left Avignon they might provide some lead.

mi05-25.jpg

mi05-26.jpg

mi05-27.jpg

Fightan and gambling: I found two keys to Templar's keep.

mi05-28.jpg

And I'm in.

mi05-29.jpg

In reality Isador has to beat three fighters rather than one. He's too flimsy to defeat heavily protected oppoenents in fair comabt, but shitty AI comes to the rescue.

mi05-30.jpg

They get stuck in a pillar and can't counterattack.

mi05-31.jpg

mi05-32.jpg

mi05-33.jpg

Their head honcho is impressed, but refuses to engage in duel himself.

mi05-34.jpg

mi05-35.jpg

mi05-36.jpg

Hmm, he didn't divulge much. Shavier's absence was pretty much expected.

mi05-37.jpg

Isador leaves their inhospitable keep.

mi05-38.jpg

A gate guard might know more.

mi05-39.jpg

mi05-40.jpg

mi05-41.jpg

Baaawwww.

mi05-42.jpg

So let's report our findings.

mi05-43.jpg

mi05-44.jpg

Even though theoretically you can chase him right now it will break game's scripting and render it unplayable. C&C, r00fles!!!
So I'll turn my attention to the only sidequest Avignon has to offer. One girl went mssing at the local monastery.

mi05-45.jpg

mi05-46.jpg

mi05-47.jpg

mi05-48.jpg

mi05-49.jpg

Prick. Characters with intelligence and lore skill can decipher the scroll on their own but sadly my Izzy isn't up to the task. I'll just train and idle till the next timelock.

mi05-50.jpg

mi05-51.jpg

mi05-52.jpg

Coming!

mi05-53.jpg

Village streets are empty and no signs of monsters. Isador checks local tavern.

mi05-54.jpg

mi05-55.jpg

Dumbass kiddie. Ok, let's visit the farm.

mi05-56.jpg

Except Isador's help isn't needed. Two guys just dominated stupid monster in two hits.

mi05-57.jpg

mi05-58.jpg

Black screen

Alistair Thomas, dearest of all my friends. Chit-chatting is important and stuff but learning Way of the Shepard takes a priority.

mi05-59.jpg

mi05-60.jpg

To be honest, I quckly stopped playing fair and switched to sabers and kung-fu.

mi05-61.jpg

mi05-62.jpg

But only one monster spawns and Nicholas kills it instantly. Whether it was bug of just crappy design Izzy has nothing to do.

mi05-63.jpg

Oh well, let's visit Thomas.

mi05-64.jpg

mi05-65.jpg

mi05-66.jpg

mi05-67.jpg

So I'm going to have a companion?

mi05-68.jpg

mi05-69.jpg

mi05-70.jpg

RAMIREZ, KILL THIS MUDCRAB!

mi05-71.jpg

And then in a shocking turns of events screen goes dark. What the hell?

mi05-72.jpg

mi05-73.jpg

mi05-74.jpg

Immediately after Isador sees a dream about recent events.

mi05-75.jpg

A bridge, one green guy (Izzy), and one brown guy (Thomas).

Brown guy charges forward while Isador stands behind.

mi05-76.jpg

And soon chasm separates them forever.

mi05-77.jpg

And Thomas disappears in a cloud of mist. :(

mi05-78.jpg

So... nothing to do storywise, really, until mentors arrive.

mi05-79.jpg

mi05-80.jpg

mi05-81.jpg

mi05-82.jpg

mi05-83.jpg

mi05-84.jpg

mi05-85.jpg

I expected something gruesome, but this is it. Smart girl.

mi05-86.jpg

mi05-87.jpg

mi05-88.jpg

Nice!

mi05-89.jpg

Finally.

mi05-90.jpg

mi05-91.jpg

Ans so I do

mi05-92.jpg

mi05-93.jpg

mi05-94.jpg

mi05-95.jpg

mi05-96.jpg

mi05-97.jpg

So this is Isador's signature hyper weapon that remains relevant till the very endgame. It has decent bashing and piercing damage and scales well with lunar sphere, but the most interesting part about it is the unique ability to "harvest" souls (think soul capturing from Morrowind). Unlike TES, though, souls aren't using for enchantment. Instead, monsters inside these crystals become your "party" members that can be summoned on a whim. They can die in combat and disappear forever, but wounded monsters can be put back inside a crystal where they'll regenerate. Also, they level up and get stronger along with their master.

mi05-98.jpg

Before trying to trap a monster Isador must lower its HP bar.

mi05-99.jpg

Success.

mi05-100.jpg

mi05-101.jpg

mi05-102.jpg

mi05-103.jpg

And so this chapter ends.

lightbane

Arcane
So, now you can capture monsters from the Fog as if this was a Pokemon Digimon Jade Cocoon Shin Megami game, right? I wonder if these monsters can be really useful, or if they're glorified punching bags to bait other enemies with.

Twinkle

Liturgist
CHAPTER 3, PART 1

lightbane said:
So, now you can capture monsters from the Fog as if this was a Pokemon Digimon Jade Cocoon Shin Megami game, right? I wonder if these monsters can be really useful, or if they're glorified punching bags to bait other enemies with.

Pokemons are useful but in different way. When Izzy is within enemy creature's aggro radius it always pursues him ignoring Izzy's allies. So with some careful positioning and luck you can place allied monster between you and baddie while baddie is focused on you. Friendly critter will rape an enemy without fearing retaliation and Izzy is in complete safety as long as he's circlestrafing around. It doesn't work against bigger, faster or ranged monsters, but for the majority of hostile critters it's p. effective.

This one will be short.

We stand at the bridge of doom.

mi06-01.jpg

This location hosts whopping three passive monsters.

mi06-02.jpg

mi06-03.jpg

mi06-04.jpg

But the next one consists of hellish landscapes and starts with a barrow bridge guarded by fat high level thingies.

mi06-05.jpg

mi06-06.jpg

P. much what I described above.

mi06-07.jpg

For the other two monsters I use a different magic school inherited from Thomas. When successful it causes monster to attack each other.

mi06-08.jpg

Friendly pokemon died covering my escape. No worries, he'll respawn after cooldown expires. :M

mi06-09.jpg

And I add another one to my collection

mi06-10.jpg

And use a teleport to advance

mi06-11.jpg

The next area is a peaceful haven where Izzy trains and rests

mi06-12.jpg

mi06-13.jpg

mi06-14.jpg

Can't be arsed with lurking around in a swamp.

mi06-15.jpg

I kill one monster and run straight for the exit

mi06-16.jpg

mi06-17.jpg

mi06-18.jpg

The first phase of wandering through fogscape is over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYB0jMeSD9A&feature=youtu.be

Izzy regains his consciousness in unknown place.

mi06-19.jpg

mi06-20.jpg

mi06-21.jpg

mi06-22.jpg

Hmm, locals don't trust the Church much. Unlike Rome, it seems to be in a complete disarray and decline here.

mi06-23.jpg

Isador's going to check famous Notre Dame de Paris.

mi06-24.jpg

mi06-25.jpg

mi06-26.jpg

About halfway guard stops him.

mi06-27.jpg

Isador is escorted to the manor of the local noble - count Henri Dumont, where he is being questioned by count himself and his daughter in slutty outfit.

mi06-28.jpg

mi06-29.jpg

Isador is released.

mi06-30.jpg

On the streets a suspicious man approaches him. I don't like it at all.

mi06-31.jpg

Notre Dame is in a sorry state. Half-ruined, it demonstrates how much the power of the Holy Church has waned in this den of vice and heresy.

mi06-32.jpg

mi06-33.jpg

mi06-34.jpg

mi06-35.jpg

mi06-36.jpg

Weaklings.

As Isador leaves the cathedral he catches a glimpse of a man he seeks.

mi06-37.jpg

...and is immediately put under arrest

mi06-38.jpg

At the courthouse

mi06-39.jpg

mi06-40.jpg

Decisions, decisions. Two options:

a) Agree to Dumont's conditions. Catching Shavier as soon as possible is of utmost importance, and ends justify the means. Sure, the count's a shady, manipulative, vile type, but he's a real power in Paris. Making him Isador's enemy is unwise, considering how weak local Church is.

b) Decline. A moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy. Sure, Rome will never know of your transgressions, but the Lord can see everything. Betraying brothers in faith in such a dire situation is betraying Him. Going this route means becoming someone like traitorous Shavier... maybe even worse.

Lindblum

Augur
B

No one threatens Codex Rance Isador!
Rape his daughter thus removing her spell casting abilities.

Erebus

Arcane
B

Though it'd be wiser to lie to the Count instead of outright telling him to go fuck himself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom