Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's face the horrors of Myth Drannor.

riptide

Scholar
Are you playing the game patched to 1.4? I managed to install it, but the 1.4 patch can't find the game folder.

I checked the registry and the paths are correct, so the patch SHOULD be able to find the game. :/ I did install into a custom directory, not the default one, it might have something to do with that. Black Cat, can you confirm/deny this?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Levelling as fighter only makes sense for the fighter feat bonus at level 1. So depending on feats I'd get it could be better to pump paladin 3 first - for all the good things paladin 3 gives, including resist disease and turn undead I think. On the other hand if I were to get cleave or power attack or even toughness then fighter may be worth it.

So check the feats please.

Also a nice story update. But the best story was getting one hit KOd my that knight. Joy of level one adventuring.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Hi there kitty !

Hope you have fun playing this game even though most people seem to be so deeply allergic to it it's a wonder they can still talk about it later given the PTSD. They are so brave. Me, I not only liked it well enough (it's not like there are that many turn based dungeon crawls around) but I also started another replay a couple of day ago.

I'll check your LP but unless you drastically alter the fan-fiction/actual-playing ratio, you'll never see the end of it (which is ok I guess) and so neither will I (which isn't).

Anyway, good luck and remember : "Endure and in enduring... grow strong".

Black Cat

Magister
@ Ronery V

Hey there! Long time no see. :3

:love:

Don't worry, the fanfiction to crawling rate will turn around once they stop throwing words at me and we get to the dungeons, I did turn it up mostly because the exposition was kind of tiring and boring otherwise. And part of the reason for the short updates was that I had more or less two weeks of nonstop parties and going to places and stuffies, stoping only to sleep a little and take a shower and eat something every now and then, and I was really tired and my feet where killing me so I was writing and playing only a little bit each day.

@ Riptide

Yup, I'm playing unmoded 1.4.

And you are right about the reasons behind your problem: You can only install the game to the C drive, and though custom folders may work I wouldn't recomend it myself. You may, or may not, be able to install it on another drive if you use the new installer that came in Patch 1.1, but it doesn't always works.

@ RK47

Picking pockets isn't implemented at all. I can kind of understand why, given the game is a dungeon crawler with little character interaction, but it's still a shame.

@ Kz3r0

Done. :3

Now we at last have some AoE capabilities, yay.

@ Malakal

Fighter/1 gives Power Attack. :3

I may be wrong given how little I know about D&D and stuffies, yet the game seems to be a weird mixture of 2nd edition and 3rd edition. I believe the game was originally developed for the former and then switched to the later quite late in development, which may explain why the game can't seem to decide what edition it is.

@ Miss Bee

Jesus, that I didn't notice that joke until you mentioned it's a testament of how tired I was.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Black Cat said:
my feet were killing me

Try these on :
BootsofNya.jpg

Black Cat said:
I believe the game was originally developed for the former and then switched to the later quite late in development, which may explain why the game can't seem to decide what edition it is.
Indeed.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/28306-pool-of-radiance-ruins-of-myth-drannor.html

riptide

Scholar
Black Cat: The game defaulted to "C:\Program Files\SSI\Pool of Radiance" on my WinXP Pro, but the patch didn't detect the install either. Oddly enough, it DOES rename some files if you copy it to the game directory and run it from there.

Is the default install path on your system identical?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Game is decent.

You should download the mod to speed up enemy animations from
http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/PoR2/index_editors.php

You'll need it once you enter the dungeon.

But you're probably still going to burn out, there is a lot of combat and with those low stats and a small party it may take a lot longer than normal to get through it.

I wish you luck on getting through it though, it'll probably make for an interesting LP if handled right.

Black Cat

Magister
I will keep getting up to date with my sleeping for a little while longer so the next update will probably come tomorrow or the day after.

@ riptide

Are you using a downloaded game? If so go to The Pirate Bay and type Pool of Radiance 2: Ruins Of Myth Drannor (2CD ISO) CHAOTIC on the search thingie, and download the only one that will appear. I had a very similar problem when I first downloaded the game, and had to download it from several different sources until I managed to find one that worked. That's the one I'm using right now, so I can kind of vouch for it working as intended.

@ PorkaMorka

Can I use that MOD thingie without restarting?

riptide

Scholar
The version you pointed me at works like it's supposed to, the patch installs as well, but then I had another problem in-game: flashing screen and invisible characters (on a HD2600XT here) so I deleted the game since I already spent WAY too much time getting it to work. I'll be watching your LP instead. :D

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Black Cat said:
@ PorkaMorka
Can I use that MOD thingie without restarting?

Yes, all it does is add a function to the game to speed up animations (or slow them back down to normal)

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the third; to the tumbledown door.

As we rejoin our heroes they have decided to milk the elven priest and his half elven assistant for all the information they may be able to give, which means we basicaly have to read through lots and lots of information bits told in character by Beriand and Faeril, and every now and then we click on what amounts to tell us more for several hundreds of screenshots. I was originally going to do a line by line transcription of it all but, like, even my borderline OCD self was kind of bored of trying to think jokes about what basicaly amounts to there be orcs, there be evil wizards, there be healing fountain, etc. So instead I will just mention those stories when they are related to something we come across.

Aislinn takes one level as cleric, Glorfin one level as fighter, Ramon one level as sorcerer, and Doggy one level as rogue. Ramon removes his armor, too, as wearing it raises his arcane failure chance yet wearing it gives him nothing, as Aislinn's Mage Armor spells overide it. They rest for a little while before leaving the smallish hideout thingie. Once outside they decide to check the cave they found last night, but...

003%20021.jpg

I guess this is just a shortcut we will take later. They move back to the floating stone thingie they first appeared at and follow the northern, uhm, map edge stuffie. There's not much to be found, only a gang of three skeletons just north of the round building where that merchant guy had his shop.

003%20023.jpg

As always, Glorfin tanks and both Ramon and Doggy try to flank them. It goes pretty well up until I forget about attacks of opportunity and thus Ramon gets whacked when trying to use Flame Hands to damage all three skeletons at once. And, to make it worse, the skeletons somehow suffered no damage. What the...?

Anyways, he spends the rest of the battle in Defend mode while the others kill the enemies. However, Glorfin seems unable to strike the skeletons and Doggy manages to kill one but all other attacks of his where dogded. Seeing things are looking grim for Ramon, as one of the skeletons is completely focused on him, Aislinn decides to try turning them.

003%20054.jpg

The skeletons are thus turned immobile and defenseless: They don't attack, they don't move, and all attacks hit them. Before long they have been turned into XP.

AislinnFace.jpg
Best skill, like, totally ever!

glorfinface.jpg
I can't but wonder what kind of God would take you as a prieste...

DoggyFace.jpg
You shouldn't waste sanity points in such idle pursuits.

RamonFace.jpg
Just listen to us on this one.

Glorfin's magical healing hands and Aislinn's cure minor wounds manage to heal most of Ramon's wounds. Given they fought those skeletons in a dead end they now follow the outer wall of the round ruin thingie where the store was until they find themselves back at the entrance. They make a quick visit to the shop to buy Glorfin a common iron shield, which being bigger than his small round shield thingie gives him an extra 1 AC. The common iron chain armor Nottle sells would also give him an extra 1 AC but its price of 150 coins is way above our current funds: Even after selling all of the stuff we no longer have an use for and all of the loot we never had an use we only have 100 coins. Here we can also buy a Rod of Moldy Wood, which can cast Stinking Cloud (level 20) I believe six times, but 5250 coins is way too much for that.

In any case, we leave and go east from the entrance, instead of west like before. Just a couple of steps in this direction we come across a bunch of orcs guarding an entrance of some kind.

003%20074.jpg

We can just click on them to start combat, but instead we decide to get closer to see if we can trigger an event.

orc.jpg
Huluk! Go away! This loot ours!

glorfinface.jpg
Anything you have found in these ruins here belongs to the elves.

RamonFace.jpg
Which means us.

DoggyFace.jpg
Surrender your findings and we may find you beasts worthy of a little mercy.

orc.jpg
'Surr-enn-dur.' We orcs of Zud! We not know what that word means!

AislinnFace.jpg
That doesn't surprise me.

orc.jpg
You make us angry.

The game decides to give them half a turn of advantage, which they use to rush at us. Two of the orcs, for they are three, therefore begin the actual battle next to Glorfin.

003%20086.jpg

Aislinn retreats a little bit, then both her and Ramon shoot at the orc closer to Glorfin but miss. Glorfin then kills him in a single strike, and Doggy delays his actions to let the orcs get closer. However, and against all logic, the orc rushes through both Glorfin's and Doggy's defenses and attacks Aislinn for 6 damage.

AislinnFace.jpg
Ow ow ow. You are a total jerk!

The remainin orc rushes Glorfin but doesn't manage to attack during this turn. Then Doggy, Ramon, and Glorfin focus on killing the orc who went against Aislinn. Ramon's and Doggy's attacks miss, but luckily for our heroine...

003%20102.jpg

glorfinface.jpg
Defender of the squishy, vanquisher of the ugly, savior of fair ladies. That's me.

Next turn the remaining orc attacks Doggy but misses, and Doggy cuts him down. We loot twenty one coins from the bodies.

RamonFace.jpg
I sure hope that wasn't the loot they died fighting for.

We decide to check the entrance they were standing guard next to when we found them. There's a boulder there, but a quick glance reveals it to be nothing but an illusion. Glorfin cuts through it with his blade and the boulder disipates, leting us into some kind of improvised camp thingie.

003%20114.jpg

Two orcs are next to the fire. One charges but the other, for some reason, doesn't. Ramon shoots at the one charging for two points of damage, then Glorfin charges him but, once next to him, chooses to defend instead. The orc attacks him but does no damage, and then Doggy runs behind him, given being a barbarian he gets extra movement as long as his armor is, at most, medium... or was that his encumbrance? Whatever. In any case he runs until he is behind the orc and then sneak attacks it. Yay.

The other one, however, isn't a normal Orc but an Orc Leader with an Armor Class of 16 and 2D10 hitdice. Glorfin baits him, getting close to him and then placing himself in a defensive posture. The orc runs up to him and attacks, but misses. Then Doggy runs up to the orc, placing himself as much to the flank as possible, and attacks, but also misses. Next turn Glorfin attacks for 9 damage, then Ramon places himself in a better position, as both Aislinn and himself were in a position they weren't able to shoot at the orc because of the firepit thingie, and shoots. He misses.

003%20144.jpg

And then the orc runs between Glorfin and Doggy, evading their attacks of opportunity, and escapes! This area becomes a green area, meaning we can claim the improvised camp thingie for our own camping needs, and next to where the Orc Leader originally was we find a small chest. Ramon searches it for traps and finds a slight smear of soot on the surface. Our first trap! It is no match for him, though: He discovers a small flame jet and plugs it, and then he loots the chest for another Golden Band (+1 to AC and all saving throws) and a Warhammer +1. The ring goes to either Glorfin or Doggy, the one who still had no ring, and the Warhammer goes to Glorfin. Ramon, meanwhile, received XP for both discovering the trap (by using his search skill) and by disarming it (by using his disarm device skill).

We make up camp. After resting we continue exploring, due south now. After a while we come across a stone bridge being patrolled by an orc. Glorfin slowly advances to try and get the attention of the orc, while the others wait.

003%20171.jpg

Noticing the orc is kind of shortsighted Ramon decides to start combat and takes a shot and kills him, regardless of having a minus two penalty because of distance and stuffies.

RamonFace.jpg
:smug:

An orc who was guarding the ramp leading into the higher ground and the bridge charges against us, but is so far away that he doesn't manage to even reach Glorfin on this turn. Glorfin defends, Aislinn pases her turn. Next round begins with both Ramon and Doggy delaying their actions, then the orc tries to run past Glorfin and up to Ramon. He is too far to reach him, though. Then...

003%20182.jpg

A quiver with twelve Dwarven Steel-tipped Arrows (which are +1 arrows) and a Dwarven Steel-Reinforced Large Bow (which is a long bow +1) is our loot. The arrows go to Ramon and the bow to Doggy, given Ramon can't use it. Then we go up the ramp to the bridge and stuffies, but find nothing of use. Then we keep moving to the east until we see a gate guarded by two Orc Leaders.

003%20198.jpg

I decide I don't really care whether those two have anything to say and therefore initiate combat myself from as far away as possible. Doggy delays his action, Ramon retreats a little bit and shoots an arrow that does nothing, and Aislinn runs as far as she can. Then the first of the Orc Leaders runs up to Glorfin, but can't attack. Yay! Glorfin attacks him for 7 damage, leaving him almost defeated.

003%20204.jpg

003%20208.jpg

The second Orc Leader runs also up to them, but seems to be more focused on Doggy than in Glorfin. However, is Doggy's turn next and he runs behind and to the side of this second orc.

003%20213.jpg

It's kind of a shame he is too far the first orc to follow up with his Cleave, but whatever. Ramon misses his next shot, then Aislinn forgets Inflict Light Wounds is a touch range spell and tries to cast it from several ranges, without luck, so she just passes her turn. The orc lord attacks Glorfin but misses, and then the paladin cuts it down.

dungeonmaster.jpg
When the last orc falls, something clatters out of his grasp - a round blue stone bound in bands of iron. Try as you might, you can't figure out a use for the thing - or break the bands that encircle it.

Aislinn takes it and casts her detect magic cantrip. It is, indeed, magical, though that's all the information she's going to get out of it. Whatever. Doggy gets a great warhammer out of this battle but it is worse than his huge axe thingie so to the bags it goes.

Slightly to the south of the gate they find some kind of greenish bluish luminiscent moss thingie. It heals whoemever touches it, it seems.

003%20244.jpg

Then they go back to sell all the loot they have no use for and, given they haven't used many spells so far they decide it is needless to camp and instead they return to the gate at once.

003%20253.jpg

Next update we will begin exploring the dungeons beyond. I have explored a bit into them already and so far the game's rough around the edges, unpolished, and stuffies, yes, but also pretty fun and I don't really get why most people just left it halfway through the first dungeon. The only really stupid thingie I have found up to this moment is that it is kind of retarded to make a game where you can't freely add characters to your party at an inn or something when many basic monsters have high enough criticals to one shot some of your fighters. Back when I was exploring the dungeons before I had an Orc Leader do a 30+ or something critical to an as fully buffed as currently possible (mage armor, shield of faith, protection from evil) Doggy, and there is no way a level 1 or level 2 character can survive that so he just went straight to -11 HP, meaning nothing but a revival spell could do for him. If this were Icewind Dale or ToEE I would just suck it up and recruit a new character even if he starts from level one, and have fun fanfictioning it but in this game you can do nothing other than reloading. It's kind of meh.

@ PorkaMorka

Thank you for the recomendation. I did download the MOD already and will try it out next time I run the game.

@ Riptide

If you want to give it another try deactivate the three graphical options in Dxdiag's third, uhm, menu thingie. The one after DirectX's stuffies. The game's almost impossible to run with halfway modern videocards and it will either get totally glitched or it won't even start.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
@Black Cat

:salute:

I have to give you a credit - when you write things up for your LPs you truly get the best of the games. One wonders, though, how come you have so much patience for that?

And damn, I am almost tempted to try 'Pool...' again... almost.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, I firmly and seriously believe BC is the best LPer around. Her write-ups are incredibly awesome.

That said, I'm off to actually read the update... :P

Erebus

Arcane
One retarded thing I remember is that, when your thief is trying to disarm a trap on a chest, you can't get the rest of your party to stay out of range of said trap.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Im kicking some major ass! Hurrah!

Also does this game has stats like BG series? Kills, exp earned etc. Wanna see how Im placed.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Black Cat about turn-undead said:
Best skill, like, totally ever!
That's my Black Cat. Words of wisdom in retarded teen speech's guise. :salute:

If you go far enough into the game and learn more about its butchering of D&D rules, I can forsee something like :

Confusion is, like, totally the best spell ever !

Since it's basically a turn-living thingie.

Malakal said:
Also does this game has stats like BG series? Kills, exp earned etc..

No, and it sucks. :(

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the fourth; Pretty crawlers Inc.

As we begin this, the fourth update, the party is finally reaching the dungeons of ancient Myth Drannor. Our heroine's agoraphobia finally starts to recede as she finds herself in a world she can understand the logic of, a world entirely made of corridors and crossroads and rooms and defensible chokepoints and riddles and secret doors and traps and loot and, like, stuffies and thingies. She's so happy she could cry, but given they are surrounded by two orcs and an orc leader she decides to leave getting emotional for later.

Our heroes, however, have the advantage and this they use to place themselves in a more convenient way. Doggy places himself against the wooden wall dividing the room in two parts, Glorfin places himself in the middle of the room, and both Aislinn and Ramon place themselves on the westernmost corner.

003%20327.jpg

Things go south pretty quickly. One of the orcs run up to Glorfin and hits him for 8 damage, and then the orc leader joins him but misses. The last orc runs all around the battle trying to get to Doggy, but he no longer has any time to attack him. Yay.

003%20335.jpg

With thingies like this Aislinn decides to try another one of her new clerical spells: Bane, which would give a minus one penalties to attack rolls and will saves. It takes effect on all of the orcs, and then Doggy goes and attacks the orc that ran up to him just now. Somehow the game decides his attack qualified as a sneak attack even when he was attack right from the front and stuffies, and thus the orc gets cut in twain.

Finally, Ramon runs until he is just behind the orc leader and tries to backstab him, but misses. Yeesh. The remaining orc then attacks Glorfin for 8 damage, felling him.

glorfinface.jpg
I should have been a Dwarf.

Then the orc leader attacks Ramon for 9 damage, leaving him almost dead too.

Things are quite of serious so Aislinn runs just south of Ramon, given the orc can't use an attack of opportunity against her if there's another character in the way, and casts shield of faith on him, in a kind of desperate push to increase his survivability against the burly ugly thingie.

003%20346.jpg

Good Doggy then places himself behind and to the right of the orc leader, meaning above and to the left of him from the camera's position, and sneak attacks him for 12 damage, attack that somehow the orc leader survives! Ramon attacks him next, and just like before his attack counts as an sneak attack even when fully from the front and stuffies, which makes me believe maybe the Bane spell is somehow related to it. The orc dies.

RamonFace.jpg
:bro:
DoggyFace.jpg

The remaining orc is killed and stuffies, whatever. Glorfin is at minus one HP so Aislinn only needs a single cast of Cure Light Wounds to save him. Then we loot the room: The loot pile on the corner is actually just a notched black steel bar, the key of the dead. In the chest just next to it, meanwhile, Ramon finds a +2 Sling, a +1 Shortsword, and notched silver bar, the key of the living. Ramon keeps the shortsword and the keys, Aislinn gets the sling.

Given the room has turned green upon our victory we just go ahead and camp in here.

003%20374.jpg

Once we are well rested and stuffies we check out the doors. The one to the south east has nothing special about it, but the one to the north east...

RamonFace.jpg
Mh. Look at those marks.

DoggyFace.jpg
Something has been clawing at this door. The undead?

RamonFace.jpg
Probably.

Before going through the door Aislinn casts mage armor on herself, Ramon, and Doggy. Then Ramon unlocks the door with the key of the dead and opens it.

dungeonmaster.jpg
You sense a vast underground city stretching out before you, and overhead and underfoot as well - the legendary dwarven dungeons of Myth Drannor.

AislinnFace.jpg
I'll asume we are going in through the service entrance and move on.

dungeonmaster.jpg
The city seems alive, but these days its citizens are plunderers and usurpers and evil things that crave the dark.

We move beyond the door and before long we are faced by a new group of enemies: One skeleton waits to the south east of the entrance and three more arrive by a corridor to the north east. However, they seem to be unprepared to face us and we get a free action.

003%20388.jpg

To make the most of our situation I tell Doggy to defend, Ramon to switch to his bow and attack the lonely skeleton, Aislinn to cast shield of faith on Glorfin, and Glorfin to advance towards the three skeletons. Next turn, however, Doggy gets to move before the undead and thus runs to the lonely one and hits him for 2 damage, followed by Ramon shooting the same skeleton again, and again missing, and Aislinn doing the same for the same result. The lone skeleton attacks but misses Doggy, while the other three do the same with Glorfin. He then tries to counterattack but also fails.

Next round Doggy attacks his own skeleton but misses, Ramon does the same for 2 damage, and then Aislinn turns undead again.

003%20411.jpg

They are all affected, and thus what follows is just a quick mop up.

AislinnFace.jpg
I'm so, like, totally bloody awesome. And stuffies.

Aislinn casts light on Glorfin, then Doggy goes and smashes those stones in the northern corner with his axe. He somehow breaks them, but finds nothing inside.

They follow the corridor for a little while, coming to a new area in which more enemies are. Given they are in a corridor they lack a bit of mobility, so Doggy wastes his turn because the girl controlling him kind of fails at moving around. Then Glorfin defends, Aislinn delays, one of the zombies moves up to Glorfin, and then Ramon runs next to the paladin and shoots this zombie to no effect. Then the rest of the zombies move up to the paladin. Aislinn decides to go for the easy win.

003%20427.jpg

AislinnFace.jpg
Screw this game.

Doggy runs behind the zombie just north of Ramon and kills him. He gets to attack again thanks to his cleave thingie but misses the attack against the zombie north of Glorfin. Glorfin himself kills him once his turn comes up, and then dodges the attack of the other one. Ramon misses his shot, Aislinn passes her turn, and then Glorfin and Doggy gang up on the last zombie.

They leave the corridor and move into the room they just cleared.

glorfinface.jpg
Those barricades seem quite new.

RamonFace.jpg
And shoddy. We must be approaching the orcs' territory.

AislinnFace.jpg
Whatever. That old priest said their leader had claimed for himself an area far to north and to the east, so we should only find small fry around here.

glorfinface.jpg
Wasn't it to the north and west?

RamonFace.jpg
Yes, to the north and west. Far to the north and east was the cell from which they said the voice of some crazy guy obsessed with collecting jewelry and killing orcs gave them advice.

DoggyFace.jpg
We should leave the orc chieftain for the last.

RamonFace.jpg
Zud, wasn't it?

glorfinface.jpg
Yes. The same guy those brutes outside mentioned.

A bit further into this room, or maybe wide corridor, they notice a strange section of wall, different from the ones around it. Doggy smashes the stones before it and then Ramon searches it for secret entrances, yet they both find nothing of value.

003%20443.jpg

They move to the end of the corridor, finding a wooden screen beyond which they can't go. One of the sheets, however, seems particularly ramshackle and flimsy, thus Glorfin smashes us a path forward.

003%20445.jpg

Beyond we get kind of ambushed: A skeleton charges Glorfin but does not get to attack after such a long move. Then a zombie joins it, and Doggy delays his action until all of the enemies have taken action. The two remaining undead, a zombie and a skeleton, advance also towards the paladin, who is right now kind of surrounded.

003%20450.jpg

Aislinn retreats a little bit given she's within range of this last skeleton's attacks of opportunity. This triggers an attack of opportunity, anyway, yet the skeleton misses and now she's able to use her magical skill thingies without fear of being interrupted. She uses turn undead and all but the first skeleton are affected by it. Yay!

Glorfin kills the zombie south west from him, and Doggy moves to a position from which he can kill the skeleton that just now did attack Aislinn and then cleave through to the remaining zombie. And during the next round Ramon and Aislinn kill the remaining skeleton.

They now move to the south and west, and come to find two square wells from which Ramon loots some coins, eight and five.

003%20466.jpg

Now they return to the demolished barrier and move now to the north and west, finding a dry fountain in which five more coins they find and another strange wall in which Ramon looks for secret doors without finding anything. A bit further they find a new room to search.

003%20475.jpg

dungeonmaster.jpg
This was once a great library, but now only flecks of ash and shreds of parchment remain.

They find nothing of interest in there, but as they are walking through they notice something going on just behind the opposite door: A small band of orcs and some undead are fighting!

003%20480.jpg

We take the chance to prepare ourselves and take good positions, yet once the battle is over we find ourselves surprised as the two surviving orcs are not only armed with melee weapons but with bows, too.

So we break formation: Doggy rushes to the door and takes cover at one of the sides, and once the next round begins Glorfin does the same but his movement ends a bit before reaching the door.

003%20505.jpg

Both orcs shoot at him but miss, just like they did at the end of the previous turn, and then Doggy takes advantage of his position to jump out of cover and rush the nearest orc, slaying him. He is too far away from the Orc Leader as to take advantage of his cleave, though.

Both Aislinn and Ramon try to shoot at the remaining enemy but miss, given the great distance and stuffies. Then, as the next round begins, Glorfin rushes the orc even if he will not have the chance to strike him. The orc attacks him but misses, and then Doggy moves to the side of him, slightly to the back, and tries to attack but also misses.

Aislinn and Ramon again miss their attacks, even when they are moving closer as they shoot. Glorfin defends, given I expected the orc leader to once again attack him, but the enemy attacks Doggy instead for 8 damage. Then Doggy himself slays him, yay.

003%20526.jpg

I don't really understand how it comes that counts as an sneak attack but whatever, I'm not going to cry as long as the orcs are the ones suffering through it. Our reward is a +1 Spear which Doggy takes. No one has really any interest into it yet we aren't going to leave stuff we can sell behind, and the spear itself will later be quite useful during an emergency.

Before advancing any further we return to the room in which the stairs to the outside are to be found, the one with the two locked doors, and rest for a while. Then we return to the site of the battle between undead and orcs and move to the north west, where we find nothing but a gate into another room.

As we position ourselves outside, waiting for an ambush once the door is opened, Ramon tries to get a good look of what's in the room beyond.

003%20542.jpg

Six skeletons? It does look like a trap, indeed. Ramon places himself against the wall at the west from the gate and Doggy does the same to the south east. Aislinn remains to the north of it, and not very close, and it falls upon Glorfin to open it. He does so and enters the room carefully and slowly, and just as expected the skeletons begin to wake. They do not do so all at the same time, however.

The first one to awake runs up to him and hurts him for 3 damage, for a nice start. Aislinn runs up to him, making sure to keep the paladin between her and the skeleton, in case he needs help to tank the enemies. Then another skeleton awakes and run to the paladin, but misses the attack. Doggy runs to the right of Glorfin and attacks this second skeleton, but misses.

003%20557.jpg

Ramon then tries to join the fray but the pathfinding makes him waste his turn. Yay. I love pathfinding issues. Glorfin then decides to make me happy by killing the first skeleton with his next attack.

During the next round the remaining skeleton attacks him but misses, and the same thing does one who just now awoke close enough to the paladin as to stand up, walk up to him, and attack in the same turn. Doggy attacks the same skeleton as before, again, and again misses, and then Aislinn, noticing in the initiative order more skeletons are going to wake up and charge just after her turn decides to cast shield of faith on Glorfin.

A third skeleton then joins the fight against the Paladin, but again misses. Ramon now moves to the left of Ailinn, to her right from the camera, and shoots the third skeleton to awake for 2 damage, and then Glorfin attacks the fourth skeleton but misses.

003%20569.jpg

The next round begins with the second and fourth skeleton attacking Glorfin but doing nothing at all. Aislinn then casts Protection from evil on Glorfin, Ramon shoots the third skeleton but misses. That same skeleton then attacks Glorfin but fails, and a new one joins his friends, but this one can't attack in the same turn he moves. Finally, our turn to attack: Both Doggy and Glorfin go against the fourth skeleton to awake. Doggy misses, yet Glorfin manages to kill it.

The next round begins with the second skeleton attacking Doggy and missing, and then Aislinn casts turn undead for massive awesomeness.

003%20580.jpg

They are all affected, and then the guys mop up. Inside the room, however, there's nothing but a bed. Glorfin smashes it into little pieces, but nothing was hidden in it. Whatever, we return to the place where orcs and undead fought just a little while ago and now move to the south and the east. Before long we come to a bifurcation: To the south is one of those corridors blocked by the orcs' kind of improvised barriers leading into one of the first areas we explored and to the north west we find a room with another group of two orcs and an orc leader keeping watch, as well as a wraith next to a body. Glorfin moves to the door, trying to block it so once the battle begins we can control how we fight them, but they won't attack us.

003%20600.jpg

orc2.jpg
Wait! Let's see what they do.

glorfinface.jpg
They won't attack nor parley.

AislinnFace.jpg
They are just kind of there and stuffies.

DoggyFace.jpg
Weird.

glorfinface.jpg
And that undead creature looks strong.

DoggyFace.jpg
Very much so.

RamonFace.jpg
Let's not push our luck. We'll return later, well rested and with a plan.

And thus the party returns, once again, to the first room and set up camp. Then, after casting the basic spells and stuffies, they decide to now go and explore beyond the other door, which is opened by means of the Key of the Living. They find themselves rushed by a lot of orcs.

003%20651.jpg

Doggy gets into a defensive posture, and then three of the four orcs shoot their bows: Two against Doggy, missing, and one against Glorfin, wounding him. My mind somehow seems to have a hard time with the idea of Orcs doing anything other than blindly rushing and thus I always act like they were going to do exactly that.

In any case Glorfin then charges against the two rightmost orcs to force them into melee. Aislinn then advances slightly and casts bane to give the party an extra advantage and Ramon shoots to one of the orcs of the lefmost group but misses. The last orc then moves, shooting Aislinn but, again, missing.

Doggy starts the next round by charging the orc closest to him and killing him, but the second orc of the leftmost group is again too far from him to be cleaved. The orc itself attacks him but misses, and then the orc facing Glorfin completely ignores the paladin and instead shoots against Aislinn, again missing.

AislinnFace.jpg
That's cheating, you jerks!

Glorfin attacks the orc after running around the pillars for some reason I cannot fathom, and misses.

003%20668.jpg

Aislinn then decides to run all the way back to the door of the living, and Ramon switches to his +1 shortsword and tries to backstab the orc fighting against Doggy, with no success. The orc from the rightmost group that is not engaged with Glorfin runs up to Doggy and hits him for 3 damage, followed by the orc both Doggy and Ramon are engaged against striking him critically and sending him to the floor with an ouch.

orc3.jpg
:bro:
orc4.jpg

As the next round begins Glorfin is hit by the orc he is fighting against and only barely survives. Still, he manages to kill the orc with the next strike.

003%20676.jpg

Aislinn runs from the door to place herself just behind Ramon, in case he needs help to weather the two orcs against him. Ramon himself, then, manages to backstab the orc who felled Doggy. The remaining orc, however, completely ignores him and goes against Aislinn, slightly wounding her.

AislinnFace.jpg
You are no gentleman!

Glorfin runs to assist his two companions yet is too far away to even reach them. Aislinn goes into a defensive stance and Ramon decides to play it safe and use an unguent to stabilize, and maybe revive, Doggy. It works: Doggy stands up with a single HP! And then the orc's attention goes from Aislinn to him.

DoggyFace.jpg
Fuuuuuuu...

003%20681.jpg

Glorfin charges the orc but misses. Aislinn keeps defending. Ramon moves behind the orc and tries to backstab him, to no effect. The orc then attacks Glorfin, and I was already going noooo! but somehow misses and then the paladin slays it. Yay, that was pretty close.

Aislinn heals Doggy until he can walk again and then they return to the first room for some rest and decadence.

003%20686.jpg

Next time we meet our heroes will continue exploring the Main Halls, the first of the many dungeons they will have to face and loot. And somehow things will start getting better for them as they get through some pretty tough looking situations with nothing but a couple of bruises and an anecdote or two.

@ Mrowak

I'm glad you enjoy it. :3

And about the patience, like, those thingies and stuffies are important on a dungeon crawler, isometric or blobber or whatever. So, like, there is really no point in doing a dungeon crawler Let's Play thingie if all the interesting battles and encounters, regardless of them being interesting by design or chance, aren't covered. That would be kind of doing an adventure game without detailing the puzzles and, like, stuffies.

That's how I see it, at least. :oops:

@ Miss Bee

You'll make me blush!

:love:

@ Erebus

I did not notice that. It's kind of weird: On one hand it's a waste of controlling the party as individuals at all times, yet on the other hand it kind of works as it did on most of the older dungeon crawlers, where the party was only divided at battle, if at all. It's one of those weird situations where it makes sense from an old school point of view, yet it's completely retarded at the same time.

@ Cassidy

Hell yeah! :salute:

@ Malakal

That fighter level really made Glorfin start kicking some ass.

On the question, what Vazdru said. I love those stat thingies. If some day I decide to do a blind run of the Icewind Dale games I'll show those at the end of every update.

@ Ronery V

Since it's basically a turn-living thingie.

I'm already in love with it just by reading that description, yay. :D

@ GarfunkeL

If I do a game where you can add characters to the party everytime someone gets sent to the great beyond we will have to do exactly that... With elves! :P

And that song wasn't as awful and sexually confused as almost all other Manowar songs I heard. It even was kind of enjoyable, I'm impressed.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Seems like very combat heavy with little social interaction. I kinda hate dungeon crawlers, but good push on the LP so far! :salute:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Two updates in a row?
Seems that your feline dungeon-crawling spirit has been rekindled. :thumbsup:

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Another day, another update, yay!

Orcs and undead, orcs and undead everywhere. Why do we always get the same basic kind of enemies... Well doesnt matter, I like orcs and undead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom