Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Let's DISCUSS Infinity Engine combat and Baldur's Gate with random noobs

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

It's not dull, it's not boring and neither is it like your hamfisted analogy. Fuck off back to Bioware Social for your instant gratification and dopamine overload äkshun.

Goblino

Savant
I hate bioware games. There's plenty of older slower paced games that are fun, but BG isn't it. Fallout is responsive to player input, and gratifying enough to play. Darklands is almost instantly gratifying to player build choices. Geneforge is immediately interesting, in spite of pea soup syndrome. Of course these are all my opinions, but BG just isn't the least bit engaging or worthwhile to my grownup mind. I appreciate what it brought to the table, but the only Bioware I liked was KotOR I&II just cause of the aesthetic and II being a roleplaying game. Suck my opinions down you sloppy little mouth you faglord.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I remember half of those maps being filled with nothing but one or two gibberling/knoll mobs or a pointless scripted encounter (you find Drizzt killing a trash mob! Try to kill him for his swords if you want!).

It seemed like an amazing amount of effort (art-wise) for almost no gameplay.

Ha. And people say the tradition of the Infinity Engine games isn't alive and well in PoE.

Noting that I enjoyed PoE. We really need a tag for every poster to mark whether they liked the game or not, like the House of York and the House of Lancaster.

Perhaps a different colored rose for each faction.

Last edited:

crakkie

Arcane
I remember half of those maps being filled with nothing but one or two gibberling/knoll mobs or a pointless scripted encounter (you find Drizzt killing a trash mob! Try to kill him for his swords if you want!).

oh boy, here we go again

GarfunkeL
snip
So I guess I should have mentioned that the other half of the maps had some wonderfully simple, pointless, and C&C-free fetch quests and go-kill-this-mob quests. I'll pad my complaint next time to prevent this kind of sperging.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I hate bioware games. There's plenty of older slower paced games that are fun, but BG isn't it. Fallout is responsive to player input, and gratifying enough to play. Darklands is almost instantly gratifying to player build choices. Geneforge is immediately interesting, in spite of pea soup syndrome. Of course these are all my opinions, but BG just isn't the least bit engaging or worthwhile to my grownup mind. I appreciate what it brought to the table, but the only Bioware I liked was KotOR I&II just cause of the aesthetic and II being a roleplaying game. Suck my opinions down you sloppy little mouth you faglord.
I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. Make a fighter, play for 1 hours. Then make a wizard and play for one hour and tell me truthfully your play was same. If you tried to play your wizard like your fighter you died on every second encounter.

Goblino

Savant
The wizards are all functionally the same, rogues are useless except against traps and all fighters are the same with varying levels of being useful. Baldurs Gate is a game where you kill things, and the classes provided offer little variety for that. Roleplaying is useless beyond being asshole or hero or neutral, so yeah the classes are samey and boring.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The wizards are all functionally the same, rogues are useless except against traps and all fighters are the same with varying levels of being useful. Baldurs Gate is a game where you kill things, and the classes provided offer little variety for that. Roleplaying is useless beyond being asshole or hero or neutral, so yeah the classes are samey and boring.
10/10 for not answering my question. You truly are an idiot.

Goblino

Savant
10/10 for not answering my question. You truly are an idiot.

chaffing my hams there m8

An hour as a wizard is different because you have to take a nap every 5 minutes and you don't do much til you get sleep. My answer there explained that the classes did play the same outside of the Wizard/Warrior/Rogue pigeonholes. Rogues basically play the same except they die faster. Basically I always give everybody slings who doesnt have a ranged proficiency then I have to play the shitty ass micro manage game until we're all able to blob attack the enemy with the occasional lobbed spell.

ArchAngel

Arcane
And Small guns played differently in Fallout than Energy Weapon? Melee weapon vs Unarmed?

You are just talking out of your ass. You got 0 arguments

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You think you get an instant pass on being retarded if you namedrop a couple of classics? I cannot for the life of me fathom how you can simultaneously claim that BG is boring whereas Genefore is interesting. While also moaning that BG maps&encoutners are dull and repeat itself while Darklands apparently doesn't? How does that cognitive dissonance work, exactly?

Stop talking already, you're embarrassing yourself. You earlier claimed that it's all the same - now you admit that casters are different from fighters? So it's not all the same after all? Also, big laugh at your inane rogue hate. Obviously didn't ever play one longer than 5 minutes.

So I guess I should have mentioned that the other half of the maps had some wonderfully simple, pointless, and C&C-free fetch quests and go-kill-this-mob quests. I'll pad my complaint next time to prevent this kind of sperging.
Yeah, you should have, you blistering more. "LOLOOL, I troll juu!!1!!" Always the defense of an ignorant mouthbreather after they've been caught pants down with their hand inside a tranny's panties. You made a stupid, easily disproven claim and got called out. Suck it up and stop making blatant, off-mark generalizations.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes. this exactly. Too many games pack their tiny maps full of "content" so that the ADHD generation doesn't have to pause to think or reflect. If there isn't AWSUM happening every 2 minutes, their attention span will burn out.

Yeah, but none of that shit was fun. BG is boring as hell. Those slow walk animations and tons of samey textures make it dull. The choices presented in the game, and the amount of content don't save it from being a dull slog. The curve at the beginning of the game serves to make it tedious and showcase how flavorless the classes are. Flavorless classes means not giving a shit about my character. I will admit that I agree about how cool it was to see crpg meet pnp, but it's still a dull game. I had some fun, but the highs and lows were far apart. People will defend boring crpgs to the end of time, but the truth is, if a game isn't immediately engaging and reactive, it has failed its number one job. Games like this are like eating a big tray of boiled crabs, the meat is delicious and sweet, but by the time you peel it all away, it's gone cold and you aren't hungry anymore.

You sound very much like a fan of popamoles or fast paced arpgs, and a graphics whore. Why do rpgs have to be fast paced or have awesome graphics??? I thought they were about roleplaying and gameplay.

Speaking of gameplay, I derive my fun from BG by trying out different party compositions. All the 'easy/boring' wilderness areas are a warmup for the party battles that come later - of which there are many and some are fairly challenging for noobs and satisfying.

BG is a low level D&D romp. Take it for what it is, or don't.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Apparently people can't read join dates. Obvious dumbfuck is obvious. :M

As fun and funny as it is to quote join dates, it doesn't challenge them and encourages them to misbehave.

What is the point in challenging someone who is only here to make an account and just post all the same fucking boring shit people have been posting over and over and over and over for Ten Years. It's so fucking old and boring. At least try to come up with something fucking different.

That's a fair point. When I don't have the patience for something I disengage.

fwiw, I respect the moderators here - you're a tough bunch.

Have the Codex staff considered doing a SA and allowing only people who pledge a small donation to join? Or closing registrations for a month at a time every other month?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That's a fair point. When I don't have the patience for something I disengage.

fwiw, I respect the moderators here - you're a tough bunch.

Have the Codex staff considered doing a SA and allowing only people who pledge a small donation to join? Or closing registrations for a month at a time every other month?

That would be Darkunderlords decision, and no. The entire purpose of the Codex is that anyone can come here and talk about games, and have an opinion and join in discussions on them.

Unfortunately that means we get the usual shitposters and other dumbfuck new users. But it is pretty simple, when someone post obvious boring shit we have all heard for over ten fucking years, just check the persons join date. It will usually be a recent join date almost 99.9% of the time. :M

oh boy, here we go again

GarfunkeL
Thanks for the tag.

I should just make a big post that I can copy/paste everytime some retard who played BG when they were 9 years old repeats this bullshit.

northofgnollstronghold.gif

Talk to Neville. You can ask that his men come out of hiding and his troupe will attack, or demand all his gold in which case he steals 55gp and leaves.

Talk to the Ogre. He is not interested in fighting. If you want assistance you can tackle Laurel's quest first but do not talk to her once you have helped her. If she sees the Ogre (once he turns hostile) she will attack him. However if she kills him then you will not gain the experience. Talk to him again and he will attack. Kill him.

Talk to Laurel. If your Reputation is less than 8 she will attack you. Otherwise she asks for your help to kill some Gibberlings. Agree. Kill the Gibberlings that arrive. Once they are all dead talk to her again.

Jared will approach you. He is running scared of a bear over the bridge west of his location. Kill the bear. Return and talk to Jared.

x_5400.jpg

Use the exact location x 166 y 177 to find a wand hidden in a hole in a tree.

Enter the cabin AR5406. Kill the War Dogs. Raid the two barrels.

Talk to Prism the sculptor. You can either tell him you will defend him when the bounty hunter Greywolf arrives, or kill him yourself, or let Greywolf kill him. If you choose to face Greywolf you will have to kill him, then talk to Prism who will die shortly after. Collect his emeralds. Return to Oublek in Nashkel.

Galtok is on the run from some Kobolds. Kill them.

x_3000.jpg

Talk to Fahrington. He has lost a scroll to a thieving Tasloi. If your NPC Reaction is 1-7 he will not tell you his troubles but you can still return the scroll to him. Head east and kill an Ettercap (higher up the food chain) who now has the scroll. Return to Fahrington with the scroll.

Denak will hail you then these mages will attack on sight (unless Edwin from Nashkel is in your party).

x_1700.jpg

Enter the cave AR4501. Kill the Wyverns. Search the corpse. Collect a Wyvern Head and take it to Kelddath at the Song of the Morning in Temple.

Hamadryad is not marked on the map, she's a fun encounter as well.

x_3600.jpg

Pallonia will approach you and talk of forces at work.

Killing the Sirines is part of Cordyr's sidequest (from Baldur's Gate) but can be completed before you meet him. Sil will hail you then she and her Sirines will attack. Kill them. If you were sent by Cordyr return to him at the Baldur's Gate Docks.

Enter the cave AR3601. Kill the Flesh Golems. Raid the pool for treasures.

You will need a male in the party to talk to this Chaotic Neutral Human Thief. She wants to recover some treasure from a cave to the NW of this map. You can recruit her or dismiss her. If you do not want her then strip her of her possessions and dismiss her.

Talk to Arkshule who will read your palm. If you pressure her to reveal more when she pauses she will attack - dialogue options 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1. Kill her.

Talk to Ardrouine. Her son is trapped by some Worgs near the Lighthouse. Agree to help and go and kill the Worgs. Return to Ardrouine.

x_1400.jpg

Talk to this Lawful Good Human Paladin. You can recruit him or dismiss him. If he leaves the party because of unhappiness he will attack any evil aligned members he sees. There is also a random chance he will attack evil party members while he is in the group.

Talk to Sonner. He will complain about a witch affecting their fishing. Evil people can agree to dispose of the witch for 20gp. Head north to Wyrm's Crossing and speak to Tenya. After her sidequest, talk to Sonner again and say the priestess had much to say. Evil people can ask him to sweeten the deal and he will add 100gp, in which case you should talk to him again after Tenya is dead. Good people will demand the fishermen (Sonner, Jebadoh and Telmen) hand over Tenya's bowl. Then kill them for being cruel to her. Return the bowl to Tenya.

Talk to Brun. He has lost his son. Enter the pit AR1401 to the west of his farm. Kill lots of Ankhegs. Collect his son's body from an alcove x 2460 y 140. Return with the body. Talk to Brun. You can offer him 100gp as an act of charity. Beware if you have any Ruby Rings as they will automatically be included in your gift to him unless you drop them on the floor before you talk to him.

Talk to Gerde. She wants you to cull some Ankhegs. Kill as many as you find. Return and talk to her again.

If only it wasn't mandatory to explore them. Although I don't get why people can't see the design logic behind wilderness areas.
BG was about porting a traditional DnD campaign to PC, the game uses and laughs at most pnp games tropes and clichés with one of 'em being adventuring in the wilderness at low level until a deadly fumble results in a bear ripping your character apart. Wilderness areas in BG are about catching that feel (and imo is a better way to do it than simple random encounters), needless to say wilderness areas didn't have any reason to be present in the sequel as well, since a veteran party of adventurers need suitable challenge.

Still consider these wilderness areas to make perfect sense considering what BG wanted to achieve.
Yes. this exactly. Too many games pack their tiny maps full of "content" so that the ADHD generation doesn't have to pause to think or reflect. If there isn't AWSUM happening every 2 minutes, their attention span will burn out.

The problem is that the maps are far too large and open. Unless you are staring at a guide with names on it, 90% of the time is spent going back and forth in rows and columns like you're mowing the lawn searching for something that isn't a gibberling pack. A wide flat plain with trees dotted around is the absolute least interesting and most tedious to explore.

In comparison, here's some BG2 maps:

ar1100.gif

Note how there is major landmark to begin with and the rest of the geography is broken up by rivers, which guide your exploration. Instead of needing to memorize "NPC I need to report to is at x 2300 y 3600 standing next to a tree that looks like every other tree on the map" you know that they are on in the house on the west side of the river from the main town.

ar1404.gif

Probably the closest to a BG1 area you can find, but even still it's more compact with less wasteful ground to cover and the trees provide semi-paths to walk through.

ar2100.gif

Inside, but still. Holy shit, there's actually something to explore that's, you know, interesting to explore. Who fucking remembers tree #827 when they pass it?

in comparison, here is what exploring a BG1 area looks like:

Mef57WP.gif

Note how the wide open spaces and complete lack of landmarks to move through and locate NPCs by makes the whole thing a bunch of meaningless walking around and killing stuff looking for something to do.

Not wanting to spend the majority of your time walking around aimlessly in circles killing trash mobs isn't ADHD, it's called not being retarded.

Last edited:

Goblino

Savant
I'll try bg 2 soon. I hear it's an RPG. I'll make my last post to say I never said Darklands wasnt repetitive I said that those three games engaged me as a player. These are all opinions, Jesus. I guess this topic is a dead horse circa 2015 though. It does bother me that criticizing BG for dullness gets me labeled popamole. Enjoy your echo chamber faggots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom