Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Die In Wizardry V... Blind

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Howdy people of the Codex! I'm planning on doing this in the same way that someone in the 80s would have done it, barring extreme circumstances. This means: No Save-States, No Internet (To Look Up Maps and Such), Making My Own Map, etc. Without further ado, here's:
Update 01: I'm Gonna Need Some Backup
Jo5dj7F.png

And so it was that with heavy hearts, Sir Slaughter the Samurai and his friend and compatriat, Healer the Priest, returned the Castle from the Maze. They had brought in their four friends, and then a careless step led the party onto a small belt that transported them into a chute, which dropped them into a pit... hard. It killed Shadowstep the Thief, Saint Proseltizus the Bishop and the Mages Spellflinger and Turisas. "What shall we do, Sir Slaughter?" "We shall recruit more people to our cause. The loss of our longtime compatriats was a tragedy, but we must continue our work, in their name. We must spread the INCLINE and tell of the coming of ITZ." So, they went to the Training Grounds, just outside of town, to check out some of the recuits on offer.
TjQfvJv.png

"Hello, I am Castozor."
PXufYe8.png

"I am very multi-talented," he said confidently.
jaLvFTR.png

"I'm a Bishop, I'm smart, pious and reasonably durable to boot."
QUuTel0.png

I am Zep Zepo, a Thief."
HpqyOa7.png

"Yeah, I'm really durable for a Thief, I'm fast and extraodinarily lucky."
mIfKYww.png

"The name's Kev. Kev Inkline. Mage extraodinaire."
bDn8NW7.png

They also recruited Zwanzig Zwoelf the Mage, but I didn't screencap that.
gMsNoqB.png

They K)ick the door in.
AAvsLsZ.png

And are greeted by Slimes. Good starting combat for the newbs in the party.
Qpe06K5.png

We are greeted by trolls. "Oblivion is teh greatest EVAR." Horrible creatures, I stay away from them when I can.
vLVUf1J.png

They die. We now get a chest, which a Thief or Ninja can D)isarm after I)nspecting it.
0q26XGp.png

Some reptiles. These should be easy. Or so the party thought. The smiles on their faces died down when they saw Zep Zepo, the Greatest Thief EVAR! (TM) go down from a single hit. They unleash the vengeance of the Codex upon them and there is nothing left but bones.
O0OAC4N.png

Disheartened by the loss of such an amazing ally, they go to the Training Grounds to procure another Thief.
TYkGOAp.png

They find Jinn. Someone who is better in every way than Zep Zepo. "I won't die right away, I promise."
KSLEY11.png

We R)eorder for maximum efficiency. (Jinn has a bow and so can hit from further back.)
m7Vxcdx.png

"lololol This gaem looks liek shit!"
1OFTZCD.png

They are crushed.
XbeyWNy.png

They encounter the relatives of the lizards from before, but are more careful this time and come through with only minor scratches.
yc6M6hr.png

"It is a Lapis Spine! Simple!" Jinn exclaims.
XRuTA6V.png

Woo!
VacwYfE.png

Slaughter is really close to a level up.
xDyojCA.png

Castozor is a bit further off.
pjJwz7s.png

Healer's XP count is very good.
JcTCQHB.png

Thieves level quickly. Won't be long before he catchess up with the rest of the party.
a6V8Lu2.png

Kev and ZZ are near level up (relatively).
wnc5XNl.png

We go to the store and P)urchase a Katana for Sir Slaughter, to fit more thematically with his class.
And that wraps up part one! Hope you enjoyed and see the need for recruits for the chopping block party. All character concepts are accepted, but may have to wait for enough of an opening to add them.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sounds like you're in need of a ninja death squad!

Fortunately, Roxorowski is a one-man ninja death squad, at your service.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Suggestion: change video mode to CGA to get correct colours.

Hint: check for hidden doors everywhere there may be one. Your characters can't spot them, and they are not always in logical places.

BTW, what happened with Dragon Wars?

Wayward Son

I'll get by,
as a Samurai,
hope to live longer,
than a fruit fly.
If there's need for a sage,
I'll moonlight as a mage.
Looks like your time has come, O MoistCloister the Sagely Mage Weeb.
Edit: Wait, no, I had enough to pay for ressurection

Last edited:

Wayward Son

xXPsWHQ.png

Healer gets a real nice level up.
yUPsRlO.png

Jinn got a level up
RieXr5p.png

Kev and ZZ, as well. They both got great levels.
U7cnrxv.png

VSu5DR1.png

These are priest type enemies, they can deal spell damage. We'll be seeing more of them, I assure you.
TFOrTx2.png

Some phat lewts.
Fx48rx3.png

These Dark Figures are actually Nethermen, a quite difficult enemy (they led to the loss of one of my previous party members). Healer knows them all too well.
gV6McFl.png

So we'll make sure this threat can't threaten us, by making them Sleep.
KR2WTnU.png

One dead, three disabled. This is a piece of cake.
K2W4nb4.png

Ah, yes. The good ole peaceful encounter. We leave it alone, because we have no way to ounter it if they get a Katino off.
viEnXFh.png

These are unidentified Acolytes.
w4zZmaO.png

They managed to get a Badios off an kill one of our Mages dead. Bearing this tragedy, the party slaughters the last Acolyte and runs back to the surface.
bcfLGUe.png

I was going to roll another cahracter, but 500 G.P. isn't actually that much right now (Okay, it is, but I got bored and had almost 2k.)
csFPsRO.png

From a few fights on the way back, Sir Slaughter recieved a level up. And a very good one might I add. He can now cast Dumapic, leaving our mages open for combat castings on lower floors. Also, look at that HP increase!
pAXyvgZ.png

Castozor reached Level two. Not great, but definitely not bad for a level up. :salute:
kIjK4sy.png

Jinn got a great level up.
lTA46HV.png

Holy fuck! :incline: of Zwanzig Zwoelf.
Kev didn't get a level because he was dead while they fought their way out.
yN8IrUI.png

We have Castozor ID our lewtz.
6KWzLSM.png

We ell these for a pretty penny (We are all already outfitted with better equipment for those who can use it).
EtKTGKE.png

While exploring, we encounter this new guy. I don't think we've encountered one of these yet (maybe it was unidentified, who knows), but if it's ice, Halito's where it's at.
e5Mir7L.png

It died form a single hit from Sir Slaughter's katana.
ciXDqVV.png

Healer levels up.
2VdZnye.png

Castozor hits level 3.
1qyJXHv.png

Jinn levels up.
Massive :incline: for Kev Inkline.
O4fP82o.png

As well as for ZZ.
Now, you're probably wondering why I have characters at level 5 and I am still on Floor 1. Well, yousee, as was hinted at by the title of this update, Wizardry V no longer uses the Wizardry standard 20x20 grid. In fact, the levels are of various sizes. So, you see, Floor 1 is GIGANTIC compared to the size of the previous game's dungeons. It doesn't really feel like I'm overleveled, so I figure I'm doing alright.
Cwzjziu.png

Wayward Son

Part Three: Some More INCLINE
TEhZQYc.png

Curses!! Foiled again.

qCw1lFL.png

It dies... er, again that is

ydPobmC.png

While exploring this 2x2 square room, we found a pit trap! Luckily, it wasn't very effective... Only Kev Inkline took substantial damage and he still survived.

1NMPMZF.png

Here's the status window.

QFiWdzS.png

Jinn moves to disarm a Lapis Spine.

tz65avB.png

These three men in robes attacked the party.

noJ9omV.png

Then we face some Magicians.

TtBciQm.png

:incline:

XcZiBeu.png

Massive :incline: of Healer.

EijmyXF.png

Castozor gains some :incline:. :salute:

SXlBIPy.png

Jinn gains some Muscles of :incline:

9Mr2uRz.png

Kev gets some minor :incline:

CoCaW3A.png

As does ZZ.

l0XsklR.png

Kev only needs 67 XP. For context, that's less than half of an ice phantom.

x2fCFaK.png

I have Sir Slaughter pick up a couple of Potions of Dios, so that our expeditions can last longer (I don't like escaping from the dungeon without any means of healing on the way).

BrF3b0q.png

And Castozor got a chain +1

idIKCiN.png

Healer casts Milwa, the light spell

VDB40yu.png

After a single fight, we go back to get some Kev :incline:.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
This is good, if you want a little hint:

There is some secret doors in the level, but just one of them is reachable right now for you

Wayward Son

Part Four: Filling Out The Map
YhH4XZO.png

Urgggg.... A locked door. My arch nemesis.

It was about here that I figured that you should be able to pick locks (Damn my disabling of the UI.

HQA8Q5T.png

A-ha!

ibdOwFD.png

DAMN!

Lz4xuaz.png

Remember that dark area on the map I posted back in Part 2? I decided to actually explore it. However.... I got us lost for like five to ten minutes. After a while, I decided to start kicking walls randomly looking for a door that would lead us to a non-dark area.

AYkTdXp.png

Hey! It actually worked! We don't have any tokens, so we leave this alone for now. This wasn't the door I was looking for though, but I figured that I might be able to use this landmark to my advantage and managed to not only find my way to where I wanted to be, but also finish mapping the dark area.

eMGObtG.png

Here's where I wanted to be!

f6HM2BL.png

This must be a reference, but I'm not getting it.

eNGzent.png

C'mon c'mon...

Yeah, we didn't pick the lock.

OZV0gD5.png

Sir Slaughter and Healer know this place well, for it was through that door that tragedy befell them. However, while looking at the spell lists, I noticed a spell unique to Wizardry V. Litofeit, the LEvitation spell, allows the party to hover slightly above the ground, nullifying pit traps and the like, while making enemy ambushes less likely. However, as I figured out after heading back to town to rest up in preparation for my plan, we aren't high enough level yet to be able to cast it :(

scdGlfI.png

Our return wasn't without benefit, however.

ofiZkZw.png

For Castozor gains a level!

fwjvjlT.png

Enemies like this make encounters interesting. They aren't just bags of ever-increasing HP. These low HP enemies are actually just as threatening as this floor's tanks.

psR47a3.png

On our way to our other target, we encounter some trolls. "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL Dude, have you tried Fallout 4? I think it might be the bestest gaem evar! I wonder how anyone could play the dated first entry."

l6RCXPt.png

It was an ambush, so in order to use Katino (Sleep), we must use a scroll.

They ended up slaughtered for their crimes.

II9PVMl.png

We succeeded in picking this lock!

KtWZSpC.png

We end up in a room. At first, I think it's an ordinary room, but searching reveals otherwise.

2ZSvcbe.png

We eventually find this one-by-one room that contains the Orb of Llylgamyn, which the priests at a temple area near the entrance request before they let you pass.

eCtOphh.png

Jinn snatches the little thing.

FwOjhsL.png

Castozor identifies it as the Orb of Llygamyn.

tZpBfb9.png

Here's the one hall we haven't explored on this floor.

NoRjRZe.png

These are the best. They go down easily, are relatively non-threatening and give loads of XP.

EFL5uMw.png

See what I'm saying. We killed them in one round.

zWOVmmW.png

At this point, we're tired of trash mobs, so we use Mahalito, or Big Fire. It is Halito, but stronger and hits a whole group.

IiXUL6S.png

We are leaving the dungeon, having explored the whole floor besides the locked doors and the temple. We use Mahalito to get out of here quickly.

Hwnb9or.png

Sir Slaughter gained a level.

lwWiRE1.png

As did Jinn.

RQM2Jzy.png

We spend most of the money to get our frontliner a set of bracers.

YUP2Mlz.png

His AC drops to 4.

I will post a map picture later when I get home.

Wayward Son

Part Five: TempleOS
RpSjKg7.png

We are going to explore an area that was gated off to us previously. There's a spot on the map that a priest will stop you and not let you enter unless you have the Orb, which we got in the last update.

UNoB0gh.png

Here's the entrance to the area.

moSWn4H.png

Kthx let me through pl0x

NmctfOV.png

I know we are worthy.

EIj91Ag.png

OH FFS!! :rage: The priests attack us EVEN AFTER WE GAIN ACCESS TO THE TEMPLE THEY ARE INSIDE OF!!!

Vk6dGKQ.png

At least this one makes a modicum of sense in that THEY AREN'T FUCKING PRIESTS!!!

eMU2jXb.png

I think we found a row of confession boxes. There's four or five one tile wide and long.

MWO3tAF.png

Ooh, another altar room. Let's see what's inside.

TiHO0qS.png

IT MUST BE A BOSS ENEMY!!! ATTACK!!!

3x7oS1B.png

Ok yeah, he's actually a peaceful NPC. Let's start out with a simple greeting.

tfndltI.png

La-La? What a goddamn nonsensical name for a deity.

35AYrnW.png

We then ask him about the Orb.

saJORx5.png

ek3277M.png

Sir Slaughter: Heart of the Maelstrom

AqVxnyR.png

Fq3Y9VD.png

Sir Slaughter: Gatekeeper

0hnkHPT.png

OPHa6Su.png

Sir Slaughter: Yes

yc3d5Pt.png

Sir Slaughter: Triaxial

V8kQeYA.png

TIz9I7I.png

Sir Slaughter: The Sorn

B7MPILK.png

6TNPCkB.png

OYGh6du.png

Sir Slaughter: Nexus(Mods)

Thz1SOG.png

aragSv8.png

This just gives us the same result as asking about the Nexus

DmUC3B8.png

Sir Slaughter: Llylgamyn

This just gives us the same result as asking about the Orb (I had really hoped that he would give us some extra lore on the world tbh. Would've been a nice touch imo.)

CkbqkF0.png

We can also Barter with him

B06P8KQ.png

Here's what he has for sale. This is obviously gonna come in handy later on in a convoluted puzzle wherein we need to remember that this exists and come back to buy it. There's no way in hell that a useless figurine costs 25k

bt684kW.png

We can cast Katu, or Charm

JjPN4Rq.png

Looks like we aren't Charming people. :\

7omBTYu.png

:decline:

Sir Slaughter: Balance

M1MfhXf.png

5cmGmed.png

3OBNNKR.png

We literally turn around and get attacked by his minions. WTF, dude?

ywJigag.png

I am fucking tired of these goddammn random encounters in this motherfucking temple.

A89NkBu.png

It's locked, we're attacked, we slaughter.

Wayward Son

Are these all the random encounters you've fought, or is their rate higher?
Far higher. I only show ones that are decently interesting and will actually add something. If I took a screenie for each encounter, I might have two to four extra updates.

Wayward Son

Part Six: A Bad Idea Turns Out Good
VR9bGIG.png

We start out with ZZ gaining a level.

DPvEwsX.png

As well as Kev.

XrWKMMD.png

Yikes. This.... might have been threatening if we hadn't hit average level of 6.

kjXCrPc.png

They die easily, and Castozor levels up.

WayIeWG.png

I think this may be a clue to the ways to Floor 2. I think the asterisk and the U represents the Pit on Floor 2 that we killed most of the last party in.

4uWCgwx.png

We decide that picking some locks might work out better this time.

wIkerzM.png

*SIGH*

Fs2zIMp.png

Some trolls. They collapse before the Codexers' logical, reasoned argume- okay yeah, even I can't keep a straight face for that.

h47QAe2.png

Healer gets a level

vOU9QVO.png

I decide to impulsively go with a very bad idea. I'm gonna repeat history and go into this door, which killed most of my original party.

4s9mn7C.png

This was a warning I did not and will not heed.

We kick the door in and are dragged along by a conveyer belt to this:

JoRa1Ww.png

Which drops us onto a pit.

rqOOBMz.png

That actually didn't hurt very much at all. Damn.

PVg9Nnk.png

New enemy types. This could get interesting. We have our clerics cast spells to lower our AC, while the mages cast Mahalitos to soften up the enemies a bit for us, while Jinn and Slaughter go in for the kill...

vffuJ7Q.png

We didn't even make it to the melee fighter's turns. The Mahalitos exploded everyone. I think we might have actually over-levelled a bit. Just a bit though.

7GtsnYh.png

Here's what I was looking for! This is the way back up to the first floor. I haven't been able to find it from the first floor, but I used it when I lost my last party. We decide to first finish exploring the floor, in order to find another way back up (or down, for that matter).

xwkRDtV.png

We walk into another pit and Kev is left almost dead.

k9d1MHX.png

Oh FFS!! :rage: We turned around FFS.

ajp1z3o.png

New caster enemy type.

Qaapy79.png

It was about here that I realized that this must be a separate area from the rest of the floor. This map is a completely separated block.

gpAujBT.png

So we climb back up.

tMiUH59.png

Okay, we are now on the first floor, in a 2x2 square room. Now, only to find out how it connects to the rest of the floor.

kx7fdKy.png

We are left in a 1x1 room with a door out the other side.

C8LGaMd.png

Wait a tick! I recognize this area. This is actually relatively close to the entrance.

E9aXqjy.png

Jinn gains a level.

1l4EaMF.png

:decline: Come on Jinn!

avDoyDu.png

We head back down, to try and find that rope area again, so we can find exactly which 1x1 cell it is through.

XZ8r9EZ.png

D.A.R.E to Say No To Drugs, Kids!

2bMHGqJ.png

Okay, we make it back. Now, we go through the doors.

p1pJX6E.png

Okay, the door disappears behind us. We figure this must be a hidden door.

trszPoH.png

First, we cast Lomilwa, the Lasting Light spell.

weuQAQ5.png

This is the wall we came through.

We search.... And search... and cast Calific... and cast... And nothing. It took me a minute, but I figured out this must have been a one-way door!

v3D702n.png

They head back to Gilgamesh's, a day well worked.
2Wrzjo8.jpg

KIy4UI4.jpg

The asterisk and the pound sign demark where the sections of the map on different pages line up
aAlS13A.jpg

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salute:

Keep fighting the good fight, men.

I played this past year and it was a challenge even without all the blind part.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
If the Hard Drive didn't broke you still have a chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom