Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Cyber-Play... SNATCHER. (Finale)

Angthoron

Arcane
Silellak said:
Wow...Fox Hound...Metal Gear...Outer Heaven...I'm starting to think Kojima just sucks at coming up with new names.

Amen. Well, if talent permits, you can write an entire set of novels with just the personal pronouns and a little referencing. Naming in general is a bitch, especially making something up that's cool even once it's outside your head. So I wouldn't really consider it bad, but it is a sign of admitting it and moving on rather than sitting and making up more shitty-cool names.

...Or he is just being witty and postmodern omg intertextualreferencingwhiii!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Angthoron said:
Silellak said:
Wow...Fox Hound...Metal Gear...Outer Heaven...I'm starting to think Kojima just sucks at coming up with new names.

Amen. Well, if talent permits, you can write an entire set of novels with just the personal pronouns and a little referencing. Naming in general is a bitch, especially making something up that's cool even once it's outside your head. So I wouldn't really consider it bad, but it is a sign of admitting it and moving on rather than sitting and making up more shitty-cool names.

...Or he is just being witty and postmodern omg intertextualreferencingwhiii!

Nah, I don't think that he has trouble finding names. It's probably because he wants to connect all his games in some way. That's sometimes cool, but other times it's just absurd.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Some people (including myself) thought that this LP was dead. NO FUCKING WAY MAN. Not when we're about to meet sexy dancer/movie star , Isabella Velvet... Just look at that Poster :

gens2009-09-0716-13-00-85.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-13-06-85.jpg

Now we're talking. Let's have a look around the area :

gens2009-09-0716-14-07-31.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-14-11-56.jpg

Snatcher_Barker_1.jpg
After all, we can offer things that those other places can't...

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
You mean illegal activities ?

Snatcher_Barker_1.jpg
Well, some people might use that terminology, but...

CHAPTER 6 : ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES

So let's see what this place is about. Can you actually eat these poor Buffalo animals, here...?

gens2009-09-0716-14-30-39.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-14-35-04.jpg

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
So, what's going on inside the club ?

Snatcher_Barker_1.jpg
It's masquerade hour now. You'll need to wear a mask to get in. The club is filled with VIP's this hour, you know. They like the fact that they can be incognito.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
These masks are like the ones sold in Plato's Cavern ?

Snatcher_Barker_1.jpg
Yep. We've got a special arrangement with them. If you don't get one of their masks, I'm afraid you can't get in.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Is this the real Isabella Velvet that dances here ?

Snatcher_Barker_1.jpg
Sure is. You don't get many chances to see such a famous actress, you know....

Snatcher_Barker_2.jpg
AAAA-CHOOO !!

The doorman gets into a sneezing spree. Could this mean something ? Is there SNOW-9 around, or is it something else ? We'll see. For now let's put on the mask and get inside the club...

gens2009-09-0716-17-28-84.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-17-33-81.jpg

Right now all I can say is... Huba huba !
( TRIVIA : in what other similar game in a similar situation you hear this expression from the protagonist ? )

A look around the club reveals that most of the customers are dressed as a characters from old Konmai video games. We can see the characters from Contra, Castlevania and others. WE can try interrogating them for fun, but they don't have much to say.

gens2009-09-0716-18-13-37.jpg

I know exactly how they feel. Well, maybe we should talk to the manager. Whoa, I'm not sure from what movie/game this mask is from.

gens2009-09-0716-19-56-57.jpg

Why don't we show him Gibson's photo ?

gens2009-09-0716-20-50-10.jpg

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
How did you manage to get Isabella Velvet to dance here ?

Snatcher_clubmanager_1.jpg
She danced here long before she was famous, that's why she comes back every once in a while. She's between pictures now.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
I've heard that you also serve Buffalo...

Snatcher_clubmanager_1.jpg
Would you care to try some ? It's really a unique flavor.

Sorry, I only eat Bison.

m_bison.jpg
WHAT ?! HOW DARE YOU , IMBECILE !

Who invited you here ? Hey Zangief , give him a taste of your foul vodka breath.

zangief-flame.gif
bison_down.jpg
...AAAGGGGHH ! (drops unconscious)

Good boy, now let's get back to that LP. I think it's time we talked to Isabella.

gens2009-09-0716-36-08-87.jpg

Ooops, the patrons didn't like that much :

gens2009-09-0716-36-11-23.jpg

Who cares, Isabella is all ours.

gens2009-09-0716-23-02-28.jpg

An inspection should always be made prior to the investigation...

gens2009-09-0716-23-12-42.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-23-32-93.jpg

Uh yeah, her shyness is obvious. We can get some more funny remarks from Metal and Isabella, while trying to "investigate" her, but maybe we should skip to the important questions. We show her Gibson's photo :

gens2009-09-0716-25-27-01.jpg

Snatcher_Isabella_1.jpg
Hmmm. Oh, that's right ! That was the guy who got sick after eating buffalo. I remember him.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
What else can you tell me about him ?

Snatcher_Isabella_1.jpg
He seemed to be waiting around for one of our regular customers. He was going out of his way to eat buffalo.. then he spat up blood. I was really grossed out !

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
You say he was waiting for someone ?

Snatcher_Isabella_1.jpg
Well, I suppose it was more like following him. He left as soon as the other guy did.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Who was that other guy ?

Snatcher_Isabella_1.jpg
I don't know his name, but he was here all the time. Especially when we weren't running Masquerade Hour.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
So that means you've seen his face. Do you remember it ?

Snatcher_Isabella_1.jpg
...I think so.

gens2009-09-0716-26-35-06.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-26-37-84.jpg

Why the hell not ?!

Snatcher_Metal_1.jpg
Well, it's like the manager said. She's a star actress. If the media found out about this, it could turn into a fiasco.

Great. So we'll have to get her description and then go to HQ and build the montage on our own. Ok then. Let's find out more about that man :

gens2009-09-0716-27-06-21.jpg

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Could you try to remember his distinguishing characteristics ?

Snatcher_Isabella_1.jpg
Yes, I think I can.

So now we ask about the man's features :

gens2009-09-0716-27-33-76.jpg

Isabella is very cooperative and gives us all the info she can think of. The man has a bony face, threatening look, pointy nose, thin lips, flowing hair towards the back of his head and he was about 30 years old.

And with that out of the way, now we can ask about the really important stuff. We don't really care about her future projects, but we do care about her taste in men:

gens2009-09-0716-29-15-50.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-29-21-43.jpg

Snatcher_Isabella_1.jpg
Somebody with well formed opinions. But I hate guys who aren't flexible.

Snatcher_Metal_1.jpg
Well, that about rules you out, Gillian !

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
You shut up !

gens2009-09-0716-30-01-56.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-30-05-14.jpg

And that's the most of what we can get from Isabella. There's the option of asking for her videophone number or for a date, but all we'll receive is a big "NO" and some ironic remarks from Metal. So we better get back to HQ and build that face profile.

gens2009-09-0716-47-11-46.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-47-43-01.jpg

Eventually, after a few hits and misses , we manage to make a somewhat accurate facial reconstruction... Let's see...

gens2009-09-0716-56-24-92.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-56-28-18.jpg

All right ! The computer gives us two possible matches. Possibility 1 :

gens2009-09-0716-56-52-60.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-57-01-50.jpg

Possibility 2 :

gens2009-09-0716-57-10-56.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-57-16-09.jpg

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Now, we're in business ! Well, we've got their addresses, shall we pay these gentlemen a visit ?

Snatcher_Metal_1.jpg
One of these men is quite possibly the Snatcher who killed Jean.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
We've almost got him now !

So out two suspects are a surfer dude and a taxi driver. I wonder which one is our man. Anyway, we're very close now. In the next chapter we'll be finally kicking some Snatcher ass.

Angthoron

Arcane
Alright, now it's definitely picking up!

Why didn't you smell the girl? Was there no option? I can't believe you didn't smell her!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Angthoron said:
Alright, now it's definitely picking up!

Why didn't you smell the girl? Was there no option? I can't believe you didn't smell her!
No option to smell her unfortunately, we can only get that option with Mika... wait , does that mean Gillian suspected her of being a Snatcher ? :gasp:

Angthoron

Arcane
Maybe he just wanted to smell her. Or, considering it's a Japanese game, it might have been some certain article of her clothing he wanted to take a whiff at! :shock: That dirty Gillian!

Although it's a shame he's not let to smell her, it looks like an obvious nod to Blade Runner here, though I might well be wrong. PLOT TWISTS!

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, nobody knows the answer to the trivia ? Cyberpunk themed adventure of the old days... Come on, a correct answer wins a special update.

Angthoron

Arcane
Hm, just how far back are we talking about anyway?

I'm guessing Blade Runner though...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
No it's not the blade runner game. It was another adventure of the early nineties heavily inspired by the Blade runner movie.

The Konami gang in Outer Heaven were originally well known sci-fi characters but it had to be changed due to legal issues in the ports.

SNATPCE-1.png

Angthoron

Arcane
I find it interesting how a Marilyn Monroe of the future does bikini-dancing in-between the films.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Satori said:
The Konami gang in Outer Heaven were originally well known sci-fi characters but it had to be changed due to legal issues in the ports.

Is Teminator among them ? I'm sure he could provide some info about his brother species, the Snatchers.

Anyway, the game I was referring to, is Rise Of The Dragon. It bears many similarities with Snatcher and it's worth playing. Coincidentally, it was also ported to SegaCD.

Angthoron

Arcane
Anyway, the game I was referring to, is Rise Of The Dragon. It bears many similarities with Snatcher and it's worth playing. Coincidentally, it was also ported to SegaCD.

Wouldn't have picked that, haven't played it (Is it good?). Damn, so we don't get a special secret update, then?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Secret update coming up ! Yeah I know we have two suspects to check out, but this Junker wants to lay off a bit. It's getting late, he's starting to feel lonely... so what he does ? He decides to call his wife... Yes, the wife he's separated with, the one that also has amnesia.

CHAPTER 6,5 : BAD DREAMS AND NEGLIGEES

gens2009-09-0716-42-42-53.jpg

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
...Yes ? Oh, hi Gillian.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Hey Jamie, I'm sorry, did I wake you up ?

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
No, no, it's ok. I couldn't sleep anyway.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
So, how you've been ?

gens2009-09-0716-42-55-73.jpg

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
You know Jaime, about these Snatchers... You should be careful. Don't go into areas that may have SNOW-9. Snatchers could be around such places. If you experience sneezing or other allergic reactions, leave immediately.

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
But don't these Snatchers target only VIPs ? You know most people think that they're just an urban legend. They don't believe they exist.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
They're REAL, Jaime. Believe me, I know.

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
I believe you. After all you're a Junker, right ?

Now, let's talk about dreams...

gens2009-09-0716-43-17-10.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-43-20-15.jpg

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
Yes, it's that same one over an over.

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
I'm carrying a child and running from a fire. But no matter how much I run, the fire doesn't get any farther away.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Then what ?

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
It gets hotter and hotter, until I can't stand it... Then I leave the child and run.

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
You leave the child ?

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
And the flames grow brighter and grow and grow...

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
And what about the child ?

gens2009-09-0716-43-48-57.jpg

Who knows it may have something to do with their past... Hmmm, maybe we should brighten the conversation a bit. Let's talk about negligees !

gens2009-09-0716-44-43-10.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-44-46-00.jpg

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
What are you talking about Gillian ?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
As I recall, you shouldn't be wearing anything underneath...

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
Of course not. I don't wear any underwear when I sleep. Why ?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Um, nothing. I just ... Jaime ! Look out ! There's a big roach on your bed !

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
Ahh ! Where ?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
It just went under the sheets ! Quickly, pull those seets off !

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Uh, Jaime ?

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
There's no roach, is there ?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
You never change, do you ?

Snatcher_Gillian_1.jpg
Sorry, it was a silly joke... Oh come on, we both need to have some fun...

gens2009-09-0716-45-48-06.jpg

Snatcher_Jamie_4.jpg
I'm sorry Gillian. It's a nice idea, but I... I don't think I can do this yet.

Hey, at least he's persistent... Anyway, not much else to talk about...

gens2009-09-0716-46-02-98.jpg
gens2009-09-0716-46-04-73.jpg

Well, you can't blame me for wanting to bring some negligee into this LP. And that dream might also be of significance. So, this little interlude is ended. Next time we'll get back on track hunting those Snatcher bastards.

Angthoron

Arcane
Nice, character exposition/development. Too bad Gillian has a mind of a four-year-old when it comes to sweet-talking the ladies.

Nice update.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
poocolator said:
What's with all the white people? It's like a future where Japan isn't anally retentive when it comes to allowing immigration.

Well, Neo Kobe is described as a city-state which experienced heavy immigration :

gens2009-09-0503-51-45-59.jpg

gens2009-09-0503-51-49-28.jpg
gens2009-09-0503-51-53-40.jpg

Angthoron

Arcane
Considering the European/American combined barely make a quarter of the population, their occupation rate of significant positions (Security, entertainment) is rather oddly composed. Not that it matters, it's clearly an export game, but it's an interesting thing to note I suppose.

The thing that makes me a bit more surprised is the whole "city state" business. Either the WW3 changed the world that much, or they just wanted to sound cool, since the only city state in the world is Vatican, and that's because they have nukes, paladins, trained assassins and laser-eyed bears, all lead by a man in an impressive hat. Any other wannabe city state would be ripped a new one sooner than they could boil an ostrich.

Does Vatican in this setting have a rampaging population of Snatchers? I think not!

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I think Monaco and Singapore pretty much qualify as city states as well, not sure about San Marino.

Anyway, really nice LP. Keep it going canine with a life disability.

Angthoron

Arcane
Azael said:
I think Monaco and Singapore pretty much qualify as city states as well, not sure about San Marino.

Ah, right, forgot about Singapore. It's rather unique in that sense though. Could be that WW3 caused a similar "balancing" though, I suppose, in this setting. Not so sure about Monaco as it's still counted as a kingdom or a duchy or whatnot, but beyond the semantics, could be. Thanks for pointing it out. Of course, that still leaves us with the fact that these were formed for some rather specific reasons but it could be they had a reason for NK too.

Anyway, really nice LP. Keep it going canine with a life disability.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Also don't forger that 1/4 of the population are unregistered illegal immigrants. As for the political structure, it's hinted that after WW3 the "west" controls global affairs. Japan's government doesn't seem to have much power. This will be shown especially in the third act.

Angthoron

Arcane
ghostdog said:
Also don't forger that 1/4 of the population are unregistered illegal immigrants. As for the political structure, it's hinted that after WW3 the "west" controls global affairs. Japan's government doesn't seem to have much power. This will be shown especially in the third act.

Interesting, politics in computer games? There's not enough of that, unless we count the strategy games. Looking forward to that.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Singapore is a considerable city-state, even in today's world. It isn't too unconceivable to set Neo Kobe up as being a powerful city-state. We can say that their incredible and proprietary technologically-advanced production factors shot them up to the top, amongst larger nations, in manufacturing. They could have a ridiculously large GDP/capita but a terrible income distribution with only 5 million residents.

I like the idea of city-states, and always have, especially during the modern time period. I'd love to see a corporatocracy or something similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom