Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's civilize the Heart of Darkness... err... Sogwood (Clockwork Empires)

Hellraiser

Arcane
Church.jpg

Let's civilize the Heart of Darkness... err... Sogwood (Clockwork Empires)

An Index, as required by the royal bill of after action reporting:

1. Days 1 to 21 - Dawn of Colonization (this particular journal entry you happen to be reading good sir or madam possessing a penis)
2. Days 22 to 42 - The Troubles at Savannah Landing
3. Days 43 to 68 - Bureaucrats and Bandits

Days 1 to 21 - Dawn of Colonization

The Preparations

SWCE1-001.png~original

Right, it is that time of the year again. A new update which forces me to do another let's play of Kerbal Space... I mean Clockwork Empires. Clockwork Empires progressed nicely since the last LP I did and in the 15 or so months since it went into early access, although it is still in Alpha and needs at least another year of development IMO. But it is a lot more playable as you will hopefully see in this LP.

The first notable change on the embarkation map, the loadout selection screen. No custom load-outs (yet? Not sure if they have that on the to do list).

Also you can see the randomly generated world, but for now it does nothing. They're probably still busy hooking up the actual region map generator to the worldmap output. So there are still just two sites (biome pre-sets) to pick for now. A temperate praire/forest/desert/shoreline kind of deal called New Antipodia and the Jungle land of Sogwood.

It has been a while since I played in Sogwood, mostly because it lagged like hell after a while. But now the game had a few more optimization passes so why not see what happened to the tropical Jungle/Savannah/Swamp biomes?

Oh, right. The first loadout:

"My First Colony starter pack" (name not visible because it appears as a tool-tip I believe and Fraps did not capture it). Banal shit boring, makes for a safe but slow start without the exciting prospects of rapid industrialization, urbanization and cannibalistic death-spiral.

SWCE1-002.png~original

"Advanced Colony Starter Pack", basic difference compared to baby's first colony is that this one adds some bricks and either iron plates or glass or something else. Bricks are used to build what are basically Tier 2 workshops and offices, this pack allows you to get some T2 stuff far sooner than you can build a ceramics workshoop. Oh and you can get 3 times less food (not an issue).

SWCE1-003.png~original

"Instant Colony - Just Add labourers", this one also sacrifices food, but for more basic building materials and more colonists. Arguably the best option if you want to jump-start your deforestation and slum-sprawl machine.

SWCE1-004.png~original

"Our Best and Brightest", you start with overseers who already have one level in a skill. Which means they are just "inept" instead of unskilled or whatever the lowest default level of skill is. And 2 days of food, not sure why. Would rather get an extra gun or ingot than an extra day's worth of food.

SWCE1-005.png~original

"The Metalworker's Trove", for the avatar of Vulcan in us all. Starting to produce ingots and other metal goods requires considerable investment. A decent but risky start option. This could be more lucrative once regions are varied by mineral distribution and deposit size, in ore rich regions. And once trade gets implemented. For the moment though, it is not that appealing.

SWCE1-006.png~original

"Stalwart Supply", the "ITZcoming saps" pack. This would be great for going into hostile turf, but for the moment even the Jungle is not that scary. Then again, if you want to go aggressive on everything, this is probably the pack to go with as weapon scarcity is the primary bottleneck to defending a colony in the first month or so. Weapon producing is more or less at the end of T2 or beginning of T3, and before that the only way of acquiring more is hope bandits drop them.

SWCE1-007.png~original

"Nature's Bounty", this would be great for regions where foraging and farming options are limited. Unfortunately the desert biome in New Antipodia borders lush praire's and forests so until a fullblown arid or frozen region appears, this will not be much of a valid option.

SWCE1-008.png~original

"Lord Palmerstoke's Choice", SCIENCE! is very tempting, because the lab enables some fun (and Fun) events. Also scientific discoveries grant prestige, which earns favour with the Empire, which can be used for favours (such as supply air drops or a temporary squad of redcoats). A lab requires bricks and glass IIRC, which puts it into T3 territory.

SWCE1-009.png~original

"The Dauntless Dare", this is what you pick for a real challenge. Tempting, but I decided to pick an option already shown.

SWCE1-010.png~original

"Friends in High Places (EXPERIMENTAL)", a loadout that may or may not be changed. Aristocrats granted prestige, but I am not sure how they tie into the new diplomacy system. They definitely enable some events to happen. Especially if they die.

SWCE1-011.png~original

I decide to go with "Our Best and Brightest". Although the skill increase is not much, but it will save time and pay off.

The Landing

SWCE1-012.png~original

There is no place for lower class rubble on airships, so they will arrive a bit late. Oh well, the overseers are enough.

Peons do nothing without overseers, they need to be assigned to an overseers work crew first (they get auto-assigned). The overseers skills determines how well they perform.

SWCE1-013.png~original

The airship also para-dropped some supplies, right on top of my overseers. Bloody dreadful, but hopefully the wounds will heal before any actual combat happens.

SWCE1-014.png~original

The first thing to do is to erect a proper carpentry workshop. First you build the building proper, or rather design it. The empty shell of a workshop of this type and size will require some wooden logs and raw stone, easily obtainable from trees and rocks without the need to process it anywhere.

SWCE1-015.png~original

Walls, a roof and a floor are not enough to have a functioning workshop. The workshop needs modules. At this point I will settle with the very basic carpentry workbenches and a pair of doors. This spartan decor will not make the workcrew very happy, but I have little resources and bigger priorities now. Like surviving.

Colonists are tasked with 3 gathering tasks. Mining rocks, chopping wood and gathering coconuts.

SWCE1-016.png~original

A most disgusting giant beetle, accompanied by an even more disgusting sogwood deathworm, have wandered into the not-yet-worthy-of-being-called-one settlement. And effectively stalled the erection of the workshop :argh:

SWCE1-017.png~original

Thanks to the efforts of my sole professional soldier, the colony now gained some protein. The Deathworm runs off into the fog of war (they added it since the last LP I did, ditto for deathworms). Casualties are none, wounds are minor. :obviously:

SWCE1-018.png~original

Looting the jungle for all it is worth. This is how you do progress!

SWCE1-019.png~original

Meanwhile the colonists gained some new features in their simulated personalities. Namely desires. Fulfilling these makes them happier, although not all of them may to be the benefit of your colony. Especially those of the more non-euclidean persuasion.

Also this window got overhauled, now it show you previously hidden variables, such as sanity level, anger, fear, the works. Oh and colonists can now own stuff, so some of the desires may be purely materialistic in nature.

SWCE1-020.png~original

The colony is an equal opportunity workplace, women enjoy not the right, but the privilege of doing the same jobs as men. Such as toiling away in the quarry. Have a taste that patriarchal privilege!

:troll:

SWCE1-021.png~original

Speaking of which, Preshea is actually a trained gluttonous vicar, with a desire for some occult experience.

SWCE1-022.png~original

Ah yes, gluttony. Time for a more permanent solution to hunger, a day has passed so I am only guaranteed at one more day without famine due to my supplies. Coconuts alone will not do much. Growing chilli is fast, but not very efficient. Still, better than starving to death.

Coconuts and Chilli Peppers however, now those can be combines into delicious Coconut Curry synergizing their nutritional value. If I would have a kitchen, but that is next on the to build list.

The new work crew interface is great, you can exploit your proles further by making them work in the night. Oh and it shows the status of all workers (idle/working) so you know if there are too many peons assigned to a work crew. Judging by what I see the best farming team is Bellis Robin's.

SWCE1-023.png~original

Day 2 begins with the arrival of those lost labourers. Deforestation is progressing nicely, chilli is being planted and the walls of the carpentry workshop have been erected.

SWCE1-024.png~original

This is not good.

SWCE1-025.png~original

His sanity suffered a bit, to say the least. His walking animation actually shows him prancing about like a lunatic due to this.

Not sure if actual hint or an alcoholic's plot to get more booze :M

SWCE1-026.png~original

It seems that overseer immigration is now tied to your productivity. This makes sense.

The first bushels of chilli have been harvested and the airship corps reports a group of *something* walked towards the sea...

SWCE1-027.png~original

It is something for sure. And now for the first policy event. It changed, fishpeople are no longer the goblins of Clockwork Empires*, attacking you for no reason, wave after wave. There's fishperson diplomacy! So they're more like eldricht horror worshipping natives you can exploit :M There's also other diplomacy and other policy you can set.

For the moment, I will deny and cover-up anything, hoping nobody notices. Before my career as a colonial bureaucrat is ruined by a ministry investigation or being bludgeoned to death with a coral reef club.

*bandits are, although you can also reason with them. In all cases though, there are consequences.

SWCE1-028.png~original

This is merely an illusion caused by swamp gas reflecting moonlight. No cause for concern :M

SWCE1-029.png~original

I choose to not bother the fishpeople unless they bother my colonists. It is actually possible to be friends with them, they will bring you the most bizzare of gifts (like a cube of raw flesh or sand). The Empire might not like that though.

The kitchen is being erected. It uses two module types. Ovens/stoves and worktables. The tables are used for doing pickles and stuff. I will mostly need the stoves.

SWCE1-030.png~original

As long as they're not from the Levant...

The Expansion

SWCE1-031.png~original

With the kitchen done a prole baracks will be erected. It will feature minor decoration, or else the cramped together populace may feel uppity. Also a wall shrine, this should help ease their minds and stem occult behaviour, slightly.

SWCE1-032.png~original

This thing seems to be contagious.

Also you can see modules in boxes. Previous module construction required you to haul raw resources to the modules build site and build it there. Now, similar to dwarf fortress, you build the modules in a workshop, pack them into snazzy wooden boxes, and they will be picked up and assembled where you please. This makes supply lines more efficient.

SWCE1-033.png~original

Preshea, my occult-drawn vicar, wanted to form a cult. Cults are now factions and the events and mechanics for them have greatly changed. The occult is now a more sophisticated affair than random acts of shrine erection on murder.

For example, there is a proper etiquette in place for the formation and joining of a cult group. There can be multiple cults. Not sure if they can murder each other, but there may certainly be butthurt about one group trying to recruit the other, leading to fisticuffs.

SWCE1-034.png~original

Unhappy with not being able to form a cult, Preshea opts to rename the carpentry workshop to something more occult.

SWCE1-035.png~original

One of the colonists, possibly an overseer, is outraged that I seek to deny the fishpeople's existance. I continue to anger him by continuing my policy of indecisiveness.

SWCE1-036.png~original

The good kind of migrants.

SWCE1-037.png~original

This guy just does not give up.

SWCE1-038.png~original

Criminal scum! Shoot on sight!

Unlike fishpeople who are benign unless provoked, bandits demand tribute or they kill. No way in hell I pay them any, so there can be only blood.

SWCE1-039.png~original

As part of a solution to the bandit question, a barracks is erected where the sole NCO and his cannon fodder will reside. The barracks is an office, similar to churches, the foreign office, labs and some other building. This basically means that like with a workshoop, there is a crew assigned to it, however instead of manufacturing it does services.

This workcrew's name was too good to not designate it as a militia.

SWCE1-040.png~original

The soldiers will get some cots and cabinets. They will also rain so that they become proper soldiers instead of militiamen, with enough push-ups and marching.

Meanwhile the madness was momentary and Preshea renamed the carpenter's back to something proper.

SWCE1-041.png~original

And she became better at carpentry, just as 3 more immigrants arrived.

SWCE1-042.png~original

Let's see how the Unfortunate Company fares in battle. There's four of them, which gives them numerical superiority.

SWCE1-043.png~original

Theodorick, true to his name, ends up unfortunately cornered by two saber-wielding ruffians.

SWCE1-044.png~original

With the militia leader dead, the sole NCO finds himself outmatched 3 to 1.

SWCE1-045.png~original

After stabbing and slashing him to death, the bandit makes off with a precious bushel of my Chilli :argh:

SWCE1-046.png~original

As it turns out, one of the colonists hold little regard to legal systems and private property laws. I decide not to take my chances.

Agreeing would grant me some stuff, but it could trigger the "clerk finds unaccounted supplies during audit" event later on, which would result in a loss of reputation with the Empire.

SWCE1-047.png~original

With the loss of the militia captain and the NCO, the colony needs a new militia. Nellie rivet is (forcefully) promoted to captain and two proles are assigned under her command. They take up residence in the barracks.

Hopefully they can train enough before bandits strike again and murder-steal some more.

SWCE1-048.png~original

Another policy event trigger a bit earlier. It was a choice between letting bandit corpses rot or burying them. Unfortunately there is no "hang them posthumously for all to see" option. Bandit or no bandit, I rather have them buried at the new cemetery.

SWCE1-049.png~original

Construction of the textile workshop has begun. The initial stockpile of cloth has ran out and I can't build more cots without it. Also you may see some swamp gas, dressed in conch-shells.

SWCE1-050.png~original

More immigration, and it must be that time of the month again because Preshea is up to renaming workshops again.

SWCE1-051.png~original

Beatles attack! The new militia makes short work of the creature and some protein is gathered.

SWCE1-052.png~original

A new farming field is designated where flax will be grown. The textile workshop won't make cloth out of thin air after all.

SWCE1-053.png~original

The textile workshop is close to being complete, it can already start production in fact. A ceramics workshop will be erected next, this will allow me to produce bricks which are necessary to start building offices, middle class homes and the airship mast.

In even better news, one of the new militia members has trained enough to be upgraded to a red coat. This will improve his morale and fighting prowess.

Soldier effectiveness can be further improved through supplies. Unless they changed how that work. Ammo-production was replaced with supplies, as it introduced too much micromanagement.

SWCE1-054.png~original

Visitors in the night...

SWCE1-055.png~original

:killitwithfire:

SWCE1-056.png~original

Speaking of disposition, why not show the faction screen? Factions include foreign powers as well as the Homeland, Bandits, Cultists, [redacted] and fishpeople.

Currently, the game randomly sets one of the three foreign powers as hostile, one as neutral and one as at war. I can change that once I construct a foreign office and have my bureaucrats pursue a new foreign policy.

The Empire hates the novorusskies, they may attack my colony. Depending on the regiment they send, the fight may not be easy.

SWCE1-057.png~original

The sauerkraut, discipline und wurst obssesed Stahlmarkians are my allies. They may come to my aid, killing hostile foreigners, bandits or fishpeople.

SWCE1-058.png~original

The L'Auto Dictateur thinking machine and its human thralls are neutral. They may wander about my turf but will do no harm.

SWCE1-059.png~original

Another militia member gets promoted and colonists arrive.

Also food is becoming a problem and some are experiencing hunger. A field of Maize has been designated and more people assigned to farm work as well as Coconut gathering.

SWCE1-060.png~original

Luckily more overseers arrive, so I can have more crews working on the food issues.

International Relations

SWCE1-061.png~original

The first group of foreign armed forces arrives. All factions have groups, there can be multiple independent ones present on the map and they exist as long as they are present.

Luckily these neutral machine-thralls are actually doing me a favour by going after bandits, how fortunate!

SWCE1-062.png~original

Unfortunately more of them appear.

SWCE1-063.png~original

The fishperson debate continues. Also the Militia Captain is getting better at the whole war business.

SWCE1-064.png~original

The mecharepublicans left the region, but some nasty critters started eating my crops. Better shoo or shoot them away.

It could have been worse, there are events of hungry swarms striking your crops like a pack of oversized locusts.

SWCE1-065.png~original

The ceramics workshop is done, brick production can begin. The thing was actually built on top of a clay deposit, so supplying it is not an issue. Unfortunately, only the worst and slowest types of furnaces can be built because the better ones demand bricks. And need to be built at a ceramics workshop.

SWCE1-066.png~original

The great Duchy of Stahlmark sends some troops over. As they are allies, they will reveal fog of war and the map. Oh, and they will kill some bandits for me. This is great...

SWCE1-067.png~original

...because they will reveal the camp, clean the scum inhabiting it, leaving it ripe for looting by my colonists. Bandit tents can yield various items, from booze to rifles. And its free!

SWCE1-068.png~original

It seems I also have a criminal vicar around, could use a church.

SWCE1-069.png~original

Beatles are discovered eating my crops. Time to acquire protein.

SWCE1-070.png~original

We shall cover those forests in Progress*!

*or cut them down to fuel brick-making

SWCE1-071.png~original

Diving helmet-wearing fishpeople are gazing upon the latest farming field, the bamboo plantation. Bamboo is basically a source of timber. The same crew that farms the flax field was assigned to this.

SWCE1-072.png~original

Production is going well. A new, much less cramped lower class bungalow is being built. I kind of forgot about building beds and have enough for maybe a third of the population.

Also one of the bandit leader must have been killed, possibly by fishpeople, as they have a new one.

SWCE1-073.png~original

Population growth continues.

SWCE1-074.png~original

And here is a reason why there is a renewable source of timber in the game: maintenance. Stuff breaks down after use and needs one of the resources used to build it to repair it. Colonists with construction jobs do it automatically.

SWCE1-075.png~original

Novorussians attack! The bandits, luckily enough. While my militia is fairly strong, plus I think I added one or maybe even two more conscripts to it, it could have inflicted major damage.

Also I plan a mining shaft, without surveying the area. I only learn that it will produce clay. Which is not bad, as bricks will always be needed. But I need coal, haematite, malachite (surprisingly, there is no tetrahedrite) more than clay, which can be gotten on the surface easily unlike all of those just mentioned.

SWCE1-076.png~original

One bandit attacks, is he silly?

Also I will cancel the mine in a moment.

SWCE1-077.png~original

The ministry recognizes my struggle and paradrops a bar of gold. Why a bar of gold you ask? Well, it will possibly be used for trade in the future. If not, it can be used for some high-quality modules, a church altar for instance or furniture for the upper class. Also SCIENCE I think. Good to have around at any rate.

SWCE1-078.png~original

You can see the gold paradropping here.

SWCE1-079.png~original

As I said, these guys are the Goblins of Clockwork Empires.

SWCE1-080.png~original

With brick production at a steady pace, the airship mast has been erected and I can build a new office. The foreign office.

As you can see, the crew there will collect reputation and diplomacy points with one chosen faction at a time. I can spend it on one of three diplomatic missions (which reset daily).

Surveying the Land

SWCE1-081.png~original

Redcoats chase away the lonely armoured bandit that was raiding me. Your days of Chilli-stealing are over, scum!

Also with the foreign office erected, I begun the construction of another office. The naturalists office will allow a crew to do geological surveys, study the wildlife and plants for prestige, plus some other things. Mostly I need it for the geological survey.

SWCE1-082.png~original

The Ceramics Workshop has been upgraded. The basic stone kilns are being dismantled and the better, more efficient brick kilns are installed.

SWCE1-083.png~original

SWCE1-084.png~original

Captain obvious find sphalerite deposits underground next to surface sphalerite nodes. Who would expect it?

I do not need zinc, yet. So I ignore these.

SWCE1-085.png~original

More bandists wander about. The naturalists office is now equipped with a chemistry workbench (it does nothing in that office), a wall-mounted giant beetle's head and a blackboard.

SWCE1-087.png~original

The colonist attack is rather morbid, fascinated with dead bodies.

SWCE1-088.png~original

Banditry intensifies.

SWCE1-089.png~original

SWCE1-090.png~original

A source of precious copper ore is found. Useful, but getting iron and coal is a priority.

SWCE1-091.png~original

Coal, good good.

SWCE1-092.png~original

Sand, useful for glass, but I need iron first.

SWCE1-093.png~original

Jackpot! Time to build a mine. A mine is also an office.

SWCE1-094.png~original

So the mine has 4/6 odds of producing hematite, 1/6 of clay and 1/6 of stone. Not bad. Sand or coal would be better but stone and clay are good as well, in addition to that iron ore.

SWCE1-095.png~original

5 bandits raid me, but my militia captain gained another skill level :smug:

Also work has begun on middle class housing. The area around the Airship mast will be a proper neighbourhood, unlike the industrial slum in the south. That is where I will build housing for my overseers and more offices.

SWCE1-096.png~original

The bandits have been successfully defeated.

Now I need to focus on building a proper gun factory, these attacks are the tip of the iceberg. With the iron mine up I will need to either mine coal or have the ceramics workshop build a charcoal furnace.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Adolph_Menzel_-_Eisenwalzwerk_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Days 22 to 42 - The Troubles at Savannah Landing

The Calm before the Storm

SWCE2-001.png~original

With the Naturalist hard at work surveying the dirt, rocks and pebbles of sogwood, his team finds more iron ore surrounded by the most peculiar of stones.

I will ignore these for now, based on their description you can probably guess these are a source of Fun. But I will leave their true nature a secret from you.

SWCE2-002.png~original

I get spammed with more fishpeople policy decisions, choosing to once again deny they exist. FYI here's just how many of these certainly not existing fishpeople groups are around.

SWCE2-003.png~original

The machine-worshipping frog-eaters certainly do exist however, luckily they go spread their revolution to the local bandits.

SWCE2-004.png~original

What luck! The mecharepublicain forces wipe out a bandit group just to the north of where I am erecting my mine shaft!

SWCE2-005.png~original

I order my colonists to loot the tents. They find a revolver, some booze, a can of beef and 2 nuggets of native gold(!).

SWCE2-006.png~original

Of course more scum jumps in to fill the void left by the eradication of the previous lot of scum.

SWCE2-007.png~original

Stealing my blocks of raw stone (probably rhyolite)? Eat some finely crafted Imperial bullets!

SWCE2-008.png~original

Another morning another pack of goblins in human skin arrives. Could use a mortar or two to show them who's boss.

Also a new overseer arrived, population is slowly approaching 50.

SWCE2-009.png~original

Not that slowly it seems. The mine's facade is done and work crews are flatting the terrain around it. This is preparation for the founding of Ironshiv, a secondary settlement where the mining&refining industry will be centred. The current one shall be called Savannah Landing.

SWCE2-010.png~original

Also it turns out I can't build a mineshaft module without iron ingots, which I do not have.

:rage:

This means I have to build a metalworker now and mine some surface ore. Luckily there's some between the new mine and a deposit of coal to the east, which you can see being mined here.

SWCE2-011.png~original

Bandits from deep within the jungle pester my naturalists exploring and surveying the untamed wilds.

Also found some sulphur, I'll need this later on to produce good old gunpowder.

SWCE2-012.png~original

Great, turns out that a whole bandit camp is near the sulphur.

SWCE2-013.png~original

And a colonist got caught by the scum.

SWCE2-014.png~original

Frontier justice at work!

SWCE2-015.png~original

Chasing the bandits back to their camp. The gang has been exterminated.

SWCE2-016.png~original

Another gang is experiencing a change in management.

SWCE2-017.png~original

Yeah, turns out I just killed the new leader of that one. Huzzah!

Now to loot those camps.

SWCE2-018.png~original

Going over 50...

SWCE2-019.png~original

...and I receive more precious... landmines? Where's my bloody gold?!

SWCE2-020.png~original

I do not believe aerial delivery such as this is landmine-compatible. I could plant it somewhere, but maybe once I build some fortifications.

SWCE2-021.png~original

Construction of the Metalworks goes slowly, but materials are flowing in to the building site.

SWCE2-022.png~original

A bunch of haematite and coal is found on the surface, near a corpse and some weird stones. How peculiar :M

SWCE2-023.png~original

Bandit tents yield some combat supplies.

SWCE2-024.png~original

It is just a momentary madness.

SWCE2-025.png~original

Speaking of momentary madness, this colonist is now talking to a corpse. After avoiding death by starvation through cannibalism, which she found wonderful.

I think I may need to ramp up food production :M

SWCE2-026.png~original

Oh piss off!

SWCE2-027.png~original

Good, I need more overseers. After all I need one for the metalworks and two for the two mines.

The Troubles

SWCE2-028.png~original

New colonists arrive just as 6 bandits head in my direction. No problem, I have a full experienced squad to deal with them.

SWCE2-029.png~original

At the same time a fishperson raiding group of 6 decides to raid me. Talk about luck.

SWCE2-030.png~original

These guys are out for blood. Nellie Rivet, my NCO, is leading the squad against them, but she is being flanked from the south-west by the bandits.

SWCE2-031.png~original

And they kill an overseer!

SWCE2-032.png~original

They also stole my gunpowder!

SWCE2-033.png~original

And killed my NCO and at least one more soldier along with two more settlers. Either way without an NCO the squad disbanded.

Also the fishpeople went north, to the Ironshiv mine, where they harass my undefended colonists!

SWCE2-034.png~original

Gigeon Paterton is designated new militia captain, with a bunch of totally green recruits conscripted into his unit. They come to the aid of a colonist menaced by this new breed of aggressive fishpeople.

SWCE2-035.png~original

Not sure if his xenophobia helped, but the ichtious menace has been repelled. More fishpeople attacks will no doubt come. The squad takes residence in the Savannah Landing barracks, to train before ITZ strikes again.

SWCE2-036.png~original

The attack left the cemetery rather crowded, a new one will need to be designated.

SWCE2-037.png~original

Meanwhile Hubert is starting to talk to corpses. Also he witnessed at least one instance of cannibalism I was not aware of, leaving him slightly disturbed. I really need to ramp up food production.

SWCE2-038.png~original

As long as it does not contain lobstermen and those mindcontrolling jellyfish...

SWCE2-039.png~original

Bandits rear their ugly lice-infested heads again.

SWCE2-040.png~original

More settlers and the Ironshiv metalworks is slowly becoming operational. The bandits have been defeated.

SWCE2-041.png~original

The crude but servicable stone smelter begins work. Also it seems either the fish-people or the colonial cannibals butchered somebody's corpse but did not have the time to taste the flesh.

SWCE2-042.png~original

Quincy stopped being mad. Huzzah!

SWCE2-043.png~original

Gigeon earns his red coat, becoming a proper NCO. After Nellie Rivet died it is pretty clear I should get a backup squad. It will be stationed in Ironshiv.

SWCE2-044.png~original

Meanwhile some hack tries to tarnish the good name of Savannah Landing! Luckily nobody reads his nonsense. Otherwise I could lose reputation.

SWCE2-045.png~original

Cases of hunger keep reappearing but colonists keep streaming in. I need more farmers and more fields.

SWCE2-046.png~original

Luckily Prunella decided to forage fungi instead of eating the flesh of fellow humans.

SWCE2-047.png~original

Leland is eager to start a cult, luckily for me all other colonists are happy enough to be insulted by his silly proposals.

SWCE2-048.png~original

I am surprised it took this long for this event to happen, fishpeople can destroy your crops or fortifications.

I will shoo him away. If he causes problems, I will order the soldiers to execute him.

SWCE2-049.png~original

The Ironshiv barracks has been erected, just in time for a new overseer to arrive. He will lead the second unit of colonial militia.

The Rise of Ironshiv

SWCE2-050.png~original

Ominous dreams an fishpeople come to bear me gifts, interesting.

SWCE2-051.png~original

Yeah, if you are friendly, the fishpeople will not just not bother you. They will actually bring you gifts, bizzare gifsts like a cube of flesh, but gifts nontheless.

The other stuff they gave actually has a use, besides being baffling. They brought a bushel of sand, I can turn that into glass. They also gifted me a bushel of scrap iron which can be smelted into ingots.

There's also a slab of beetle meat, cook-able of course.

SWCE2-052.png~original

The Ironshiv barracks are fully equiped. Now it is time to build another mine, to mine coal, and some shacks for the proles.

SWCE2-053.png~original

Production at the ironworks is planned.

SWCE2-054.png~original

SWCE2-055.png~original

The second Ironshiv mine has 40% odds of iron ore, 40% odds of coal and 20% odds of yielding clay.

SWCE2-056.png~original

With more terrain-flatting jobs done, the first house in Ironshiv can be built.

SWCE2-057.png~original

The second squad's leader is now a proper NCO and his recruits are slowly becoming proper soldiers.

The metalworks is using its two stone smelters at 100%, I need to add some brick ones.

SWCE2-058.png~original

Scum has no chance against my two squads of lethal redcoats.

SWCE2-059.png~original

Luckily, besides the rare fishperson attack, the forces beyond human comprehension only manifest themselves in dreams.

SWCE2-060.png~original

One bandit? The militia will kill him during their 5 minute break between doing push-ups!

SWCE2-061.png~original

SWCE2-062.png~original

Two more cult leader-wannabes appear in my colony. I will need to get a chapel and vicar-lead team of cult-busters soon.

SWCE2-063.png~original

There's no tumblr and twitter around to spread your nonsense :smug:

SWCE2-064.png~original

Meanwhile, a fishperson procession carrying meat walks through Savannah Landing. Where are they going and why? It is a mystary.

SWCE2-065.png~original

The second mine is up.

SWCE2-066.png~original

No gold? Doesn't matter, I still have those two nuggets. Also bronze cogs will come in handy.

SWCE2-067.png~original

Leland continues being creepy, and not in the "I want to have a restraining order" kind of way.

Bandit Diplomacy

SWCE2-068.png~original

Thank Cog this jungle is infested with bandits, otherwise the novorusskies would be busy killing my colonists with their vodka-breath.

SWCE2-069.png~original

No!

SWCE2-070.png~original

Another day another bandit raid.

SWCE2-071.png~original

Worst Novorussians kill my overseer! I think that was the naturalist one. This shall not be forgotten! Remove Borscht from premises!

SWCE2-072.png~original

With the naturalist killed, I decide to actually do something about diplomacy. I will not need any more exploration or surveys for a (long) while, so a new overseer becomes the head of the foreign office.

This is what the office does, the crew writes letters until I get enough points with a faction. Then I can spend those point to do a mission, which yields some kind of result (like bombing bandits to bits from an airship) and a reputation change. Asking the Empire for favours makes you lose reputation. Better reputation makes positive events happen. Bad makes bad ones, you get the idea.

Also I believe it affects upper-class migration rate (none is happening now because I have no upper-class housing built).

SWCE2-073.png~original

More proles arrive, actually at this point I have a problem because I got unlucky and overseers died. And the limit is 5 peons per overseer. So I have unemployment due to not enough overseers :M

I need to unclock the supply chain to ramp up production so that the game grants me more overseers, since it thinks I have too many if they are idle.

SWCE2-074.png~original

This is another event I expected to happen earlier. One of the outcomes is that a colonists discovers he has noble blood...

SWCE2-075.png~original

...which would be bad because unlike middle-class overseers and lower class proles, the upper class does nothing. Well, they trigger events which can be beneficial, but from a strict supply lines point, they are useless.

SWCE2-076.png~original

The foreign office was upgraded with more standing desks, because apparently those are the workbenches in it. This ramped up diplomatic point production and I could dump points into gaining reputation.

SWCE2-077.png~original

Preshea is still slipping in and out of sanity, renaming the workshop...

SWCE2-078.png~original

A minor band of fishpeople attacked, but they were easily defeated.

SWCE2-079.png~original

SWCE2-080.png~original

Leland still tries to form a cult, the heathen.

SWCE2-081.png~original

Due to the efficiency of my bureaucracy (talk about oxymoron) reaching the 20 point limit on points with the Empire and a lack of attractive missions, I switch focus to diplomacy with bandits.

I will steal away some bandits, gaining a new prole in the process.

SWCE2-082.png~original

SWCE2-083.png~original

His joining also revealed the location of two bandit camps!

SWCE2-084.png~original

Meanwile Preshea's days of workshop renaming are over. She died of hunger.

SWCE2-085.png~original

I have no idea how, as I have designated a new, even bigger, third field of maize. Also more dreams.

SWCE2-086.png~original

Another person is discovered attempting to form a cult. With so many colonists, this was inevitable. Which is why I choose to erect a chapel.

At first I picked the small stone altar, because it costs one gold. Then I realized I have two nuggets, not one. And that the bar of gold I had disappeared from my stockpile.

Fucking bandits probably took it.

SWCE2-087.png~original

A bandit camp has been discovered north-west of Ironshiv, they shot the person who made the discovery.

SWCE2-088.png~original

Another bandit group disbands when the last surviving member of it is offered amnesty.

SWCE2-089.png~original

Ironshiv expands as work crews flatten more terrain, allowing for the erection of a prole slum. My future plan is to build a kitchen, a farming field and a pub at Ironshiv, so that the miners don't have to walk all the way to Savannah Landing to eat, instead of actually mining.

SWCE2-090.png~original

ITZ spreads its mental tentacles, I need that chapel...

SWCE2-091.png~original

I wonder if assigning the "scholarly" character to proper work makes him stop writing this gibberish. Either that or hooking him up on laudanum. Which reminds me, I need to plant some poppy flowers...

SWCE2-092.png~original

The Propaganda Office is hard at work.

For a moment I also though they added trade, because under modules there is a "trade office" section containing all these file cabinet and proper desk assets. It is probably waiting for trade code implementation though.

SWCE2-093.png~original

This is Savannah Landing currently. The plan is to build some middle class houses along Piston Street, as well as some upper class mansions. A lab will be built on the edge of Airship Mast Square, once I get a steady supply of sand for glass. That and the lab needs lots of minor metal components, like pipes and cogs, so it will take a while before it can be built. But the main problem is that it needs glass to be erected. Either way that are will be gentrified further, so another redcoat squad, if not two, will need to be stationed there. Nobility dying is bad.

The "old town" in the south will be slum-ified further. I need to build some shacks for the farmers and a pub. Note that I expanded the kitchen, adding some proper iron stoves built at the metalworks. They work faster, I could dismantle the old stoves, but they will be moved to new kitchens.

SWCE2-095.png~original

As mentioned, Ironshiv will need a pub built, a kitchen and a field of maize. Besides another hovel and one middle-class house, that should be it for Ironshiv.

I will need new mining hamlets for other key resources, which will be slightly smaller and more basic than Ironshiv. Possibly sharing a barracks or kitchen across two of them.

It is very unlikely I will find copper, sand, zinc and gold all in one place after all. And I will need all of those.

SWCE2-096.png~original

Meanwhile, the bandit threat will need to be reduced. Hopefully the foreign office will roll a bombing mission or two, anything to make them go away.

SWCE2-097.png~original

Annoying, aren't they?

SWCE2-098.png~original

Remeber tbhe guys who killed my worker not so long ago? I sent a squad to deal with them. They killed a redcoat or two, which does not matter, because those were not NCOs and I still have a surplus of proles which I can conscript.

SWCE2-099.png~original

Yeah, they killed two.

SWCE2-100.png~original

I am tired of this scum, bring me tribute or perish!

SWCE2-101.png~original

Seems they have complied.

That's it for now. Surprising no crash, had just one on days 1-21. Hopefully this LP will end with ITZ rather than a corrupted save or gamebreaking bug like my previous playthroughs.

Also bump or post something, or else it will kill the loading of this thread if I stack too many updates on one page.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Leland continues being creepy, and not in the "I want to have a restraining order" kind of way.

Well we all know where this is going.

giphy.gif

More likely:

steelcog_vs_murdercult.jpg

Unless vicars stop it in time. Cults are not yet much of a problem in my playthrough, because they lack "catalyst" (fun I do not want to spoil, that will hopefully start appearing in my playthrough's next update) so to speak. That and willing cultists, plus issues making cults seem appealing. With enough population, colonial problems and "catalyst", they should start forming. That or if a vicar ends up a heretic, then my magnificent new colonial cathedral will become a beacon for forces most terrifying. And you can no longer just execute the bugger, which means you would have to shut down the church until a new untainted vicar arrives to attempt to de-program everyone. Knowing Gaslamp games though, that could also backfire.

Also they really need to implement communism spreading, the same way cults are implemented. Only with strikes and random acts of terror instead of shrines, madness and occult murder.

Hellraiser

Arcane
until a fullblown arid or frozen region appears

No Prisoners of Ice yet?

:decline:

I agree, this is one of those things that unfortunately still need to be implemented. The assets for those are probably most done but the main thing is that the world map to region map code is not yet implemented*. And they want to make different regions more than just cosmetically different colour palette swaps. I wouldn't expect more biomes until the beta. But I would be very surprised if they skipped potential for some mountains of madness action in the frigid wastes. The cannibalistic death-spiral potential is just too good to pass on.

Lots of assets are not implemented in the alpha but done. The Steam Knight power armour (and grenade launcher) is waiting until the military overhaul. Industrial endgame workshop modules such as steam ovens and power saws are waiting until conduit systems for steam and electricity get implemented (they used to be in the alpha before industrial efficiency got reworked). The fox model and animation was done for at least a year before it was implemented as a critter in game for instance. The basic philosophy seems to be, if it does not offer unique working mechanics because those are not coded in yet, leave it for later.

Hellraiser

Arcane
church-scene-worshippers-amused-by-off-key-singer.jpg

Days 43 to 68 - Bureaucrats and Bandits

The Ground Flattening

SWCE3-001.png~original

Fishpeople find the incomplete chapel alluring. Friendly fishpeople that is, a pack (school?) of raiders is approaching though.

SWCE3-002.png~original

And there they are.

SWCE3-003.png~original

No match for two squads of militia.

SWCE3-004.png~original

More immigration.

SWCE3-005.png~original

Let's bomb this scum!

SWCE3-006.png~original

Scum not found.

SWCE3-007.png~original

I need to check the faction screen next time before doing this.

SWCE3-008.png~original

:x

SWCE3-009.png~original

SWCE3-010.png~original

Meanwhile, friendly fishpeople bring me some more cube of flesh. I am still not sure what those are used for :M

SWCE3-011.png~original

Scum will perish!

SWCE3-012.png~original

Not without casualties on my side, but proles can be easily replaced.

SWCE3-013.png~original

As I was saying.

SWCE3-014.png~original

Goblinssssssss!

SWCE3-015.png~original

So this is one of my cult-leader wannabes, not particularly mad. Probably caused by the fishy behaviour trait. Dagon-worshipping whore.

SWCE3-016.png~original

A new middle class house is being constructed along Piston Street.

SWCE3-017.png~original

Meanwhile there's still more groundwork to be done in Ironshiv, if I am to have something resembling a street there.

Speaking of streets, (rail?)roads are supposed to be implemented alongside industrial conduits such as steam pipes. Possibly will increase vehicle speed.

SWCE3-018.png~original

Increasing reputation. I am a bit disappointed you can't use the office to get more permanent overseers, at a huge reputation cost. Also the system is clearly in its first iteration, as the old prestige system also seems to be luring, or at least mentioned, in events that were not updated yet.

SWCE3-019.png~original

The Ironshiv Kitchen/Brewery is being erected. It will contain a rather modern mechanical brewing vat.

SWCE3-020.png~original

Extorting bandits. A pity you can't use the foreign office yet to do anything with the foreign powers.

SWCE3-021.png~original

I am now at a point where I believe I am overproducing crops. Game is starting to slow down due to all this crap (or there are too many fishpeople).

Luckily trade will probably be implemented in the next update. I read that a lot of back-end code was introduced in this update so that it can be implemented. Then I would just export all that maize.

The Peak

SWCE3-022.png~original

SWCE3-023.png~original

Yeah, these rewards are all downhill from the Gold Bar. Still, maybe once a proper Bureaucrat Career metagame is introduced, these will matter. Giving your character prestige or something.

SWCE3-024.png~original

Bandit tribute arrives.

SWCE3-025.png~original

Shortly after that the same bandits raid me. The cunts.

SWCE3-026.png~original

Soldiers are slightly wounded, somebody dies.

SWCE3-027.png~original

SWCE3-028.png~original

The miners dug too deep and found... beetles. Considering this is a jungle, I would expect a deathworm nest :M

The beetles themselves can just eat your crops, but Ironshiv is too far away from my farms. So I just hunt the bugs down and butcher them for protein.

SWCE3-029.png~original

Note that the description text changes over time, probably due to my reputation with the empire. It goes from survivors of my expedition that got lost, to survivors of failed colonies, to inner colonies to those who emigrated from the core cities.

Also colonists do come in different states. Some may be wounded, some hungry, some in good shape.

SWCE3-030.png~original

Increasing that prestige. The House of Cog is nearly done. The metalworks just needs to smelt those gold bars and finish the altar.

Also an unstaffed chapel still spams chapel jobs and attracts the congregation. This causes some slowdown. Office code is also in its early iteration, go figure.

SWCE3-031.png~original

I am fairly bandit-free though.

SWCE3-032.png~original

Propaganda started to pay off. I am just not sure what prestige is supposed to do now, since the old prestige system got mostly replaced with diplomacy.

SWCE3-033.png~original

To speed up all the ground-flattening and logistics, I request a criminal work crew to assist me.

SWCE3-034.png~original

The prisoners are easy to spot.

SWCE3-035.png~original

Their overseer is also temporary. But they are fully simulated.

SWCE3-036.png~original

This time around there is a band to bomb.

SWCE3-037.png~original

We need bigger bombs.

SWCE3-038.png~original

And better aim.

SWCE3-039.png~original

Trees caught fire, but that's it. Oh, right, fire was also added in this update. I wonder if flamenwerfer-wielding stahlmarkians are also in the works. :M

SWCE3-040.png~original

I send the redcoats to mop up what the bombing run did not hit. They also encounter a giant snail. The Mecharepublicans would not doubt pay much for it.

SWCE3-041.png~original

The bandits have been found and easily overwhelmed.

SWCE3-042.png~original

And more appear...

SWCE3-043.png~original

I had slight issues with not enough overseers. This was in part because I did not assign them efficiently, ending up with too much idle time. This results in no overseer migration.

Now, the limit for work-crews is overseer plus 4 proles, but either when an overseer dies or when proles immigrate, the game auto-assigns them, ignoring the limit and causing this :M

The screen and limit are new, so that's yet another new buggy feature basically.

SWCE3-044.png~original

SWCE3-045.png~original

The Chapel's altar is finally done and a new overseer arrives. I turn him into a vicar...

SWCE3-046.png~original

My Vicar would be better spent on SCIENCE! but I lack a lab. Also he does not seem to believe in the whole "thouh shall not kill" thing.

SWCE3-047.png~original

In the absence of the Vicar, his subordinates handle the whole religious service business.

SWCE3-048.png~original

Ironshiv has the kitchen/brewery done, and some maize has been planted for booze-related purposes. You can also see I built a third middle-class house on Piston Street.

Also fishy raiders approach.

SWCE3-049.png~original

They are chased away or killed.

SWCE3-050.png~original

Oh, wait. Actually they also attacked from the south. Have these things learning tactics?

SWCE3-051.png~original

The soldiers are wounded, but this should not be an issue.

SWCE3-052.png~original

Meanwhile the Vicar is also no much into the whole work thing. His crew is doing all his work for him.

SWCE3-053.png~original

Another overseer has yet another desire, to discover an artefact of things that man was not meant to see. Also she got into a brawl.

Speaking of artefacts, I am surprised I have not found one yet. They either toned down the discovery rate or my proles are too lazy to stumble upon them (they are).

SWCE3-054.png~original

Even more beetles.

SWCE3-055.png~original

SWCE3-056.png~original

Right, this event also has a chance this happens. Sometimes it causes someone to become a friend of some other colonist.

SWCE3-057.png~original

Looting from bandit camps.

SWCE3-058.png~original

The criminal crew went back to the Empire. Somebody also shot a colonists, damn bandits!

SWCE3-059.png~original

I got a permanent overseer just as the work crew left, they should not count into the overseer immigration count event IMO.

SWCE3-060.png~original

The primary mine is digging deeper and deeper. I didn't need to place two iron ore mines, this one produces more coal and ore than I can smelt. Now my stockpile is full

SWCE3-061.png~original

SWCE3-062.png~original

SWCE3-063.png~original

Ironshiv is under attack. Not a problem.

SWCE3-065.png~original

The third mine will be tasked with producing a resource less grand but still necessary to build more grand structures, sand. As a bonus it will produce rough stone, which is good, since my stockpile of that is running low.

SWCE3-066.png~original

More beetles and visions of madness. The Chapel helps though, no sign of cultists so far.

SWCE3-067.png~original

Vicious Circle

SWCE3-068.png~original

Fishpeople convoy, they are merely passing thorugh.

SWCE3-069.png~original

No mercy for thieving scum!

SWCE3-070.png~original

An intense skirmish breaks out near the construction site of an upper class mansion. There are casualties and wounded.

SWCE3-071.png~original

Including the NCO!

SWCE3-072.png~original

This does not benefit the sanity of my colonists, as they are up to their workshop renaming antics.

RIP Cyclopean.

SWCE3-073.png~original

The cemetery needs an expansion.

SWCE3-074.png~original

Luckily a new overseer arrives.

SWCE3-075.png~original

The mansion will make use of the surplus gold I have. It may be a bit too big.

SWCE3-076.png~original

Also it seems all my mining overseers went bonkers.

SWCE3-077.png~original

Bandits attack, these guys are well armoured and equipped. My militia is wounded.

SWCE3-078.png~original

Uh oh, wounded is an understatement. This attack is serious.

SWCE3-079.png~original

My remaining NCO, Gigeon, is facing two armoured bandits and one armoured scumbag. Guess the outcome?

SWCE3-081.png~original

This is not good. The armoured bandits, combined with the fact the soldiers have not healed since the last attack a day earlier, is what caused these losses.

I need a barber to heal my troops. Why are barbers the doctors of the frontier? Ask Gaslamp Games :M

SWCE3-082.png~original

While the proles keep on dying, my reputation attracts more new proles. Good thing there is not global mass medium to spread the news of the recent slaughter :M

SWCE3-083.png~original

This looks like a bug. A vicar's peon was stuck in place, he also refuses to die. But at least he makes for a nice bullet sponge.

SWCE3-084.png~original

What did I say about miner sanity?

SWCE3-085.png~original

The news hits the Empire...

SWCE3-086.png~original

All the corpses lying around have caused a ghost to haunt my colonists, demanding burial! This will surely help sanity :M

Proper Station

SWCE3-087.png~original

Make that two ghosts :M

SWCE3-088.png~original

Does not stop the first aristocrat from arriving. Seems they need a whole house for themselves. Shameless spoiled steampunk singles!

SWCE3-089.png~original

Well, I have too much stuff at the moment. So long as they do not touch the gold or glass, I can live with this. That and the new militia needs to train.

SWCE3-090.png~original

Shafur dispray results in prestige loss.

SWCE3-091.png~original

The aristocrat is adapting well to life on the frontier :M

SWCE3-092.png~original

Climbing back to 100 colonists.

SWCE3-093.png~original

No.

SWCE3-094.png~original

My two new militia captains are of one mind, an insane mind apparently as they rename the barracks to match with their psyche.

SWCE3-095.png~original

Yeah, I need a new cemetery quarter, again.

SWCE3-096.png~original

I decide to scale down on farming. Because I have 200 bushels of maize that do nothing. The kitchens have not enough manpower to process them into booze or chowder.

It turned out moving modules between workshops is a bit bugged :M

That and they need to improve the stockpile stacking code. I believe that an item in a stack is still an individual object, which causes slowdown. It should be added to the stack's count and destroyed to free up CPUs and shit.

SWCE3-097.png~original

Krauts pay a visit surveying some swamp land, which is probably where all the fishpeople are hiding.

SWCE3-098.png~original

I have also started growing poppy plants for future use as a source of precious opium.

SWCE3-099.png~original

I believe this is the aristocrat that's doing this.

SWCE3-100.png~original

I have no idea if he got promoted to upper class because of it.

SWCE3-101.png~original

The barber shop is up. Now I need a barber to apply some leeches.

SWCE3-102.png~original

Back at 100 population, and my miners are going in and out of sanity due to all these deaths.

SWCE3-103.png~original

Besides the game running slow, it seems that the Chapel jobs are bugged (as is the mine, but not as severely). Another Peon under the Vicar got stuck on a confession job freezing him in place.

The last one died of hunger, despite being immortal as far as bullets were concerned. I can't bury him though. Also the Vicar was also struck with this bug, which is bad. I marked them for frontier justice, but again, these guys seem to be immune to all but death by hunger. I could attempt to delete them from the save file, but it may break the save.

Yeah, I was supposed to build a lab at this point, and may still do so. However my glass production sucks, because the sand mine keeps bugging out. Basically the utterly useless overseer and his goons are stuck gossiping or doing paperwork (or renaming the mine to something occult) instead of venturing into the bowels of the earth. Supposedly this can be fixed by assigning them to other work before reassigning them to the mine again.

I'll see what I can do, since the game has already hit a major slowdown point with colonist movement stuttering. Possibly because there are too many items around, too many jobs (at the chapel, which is bugged) and at least 10 groups of fishpeople running around.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Bad news men, I am unable to load my save file. I will attempt to do it again tomorrow, a few times, but the next update may be last of this LP. Still, it should show some stuff even if it will not show everything I wanted to show.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom