Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's chew licorice and kick orc ass in Realms of Arkania - Blade of Destiny SD

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Demonology spells are awesome if you are going to import into RoA 2+3.

And since Thorwal has a big seaport we can also travel by ship of course, maybe to Prem or one of the islands.

MspfkNm.gif

Poison bottle counter: 6? I think 6
I guess you know about the infinite XP exploit in Prem?
Sure. I won't exploit it though, that would be lame.
Sadly there are quite a few bugs and oversights in this game.
During that last part I had to hex edit Azira's armor resistance value back to 8, it somehow went down to 6 for no reason.
Maybe some bug from the Heshtot fight or maybe from the illness.
And don't get me started on the spells that weren't implemented properly. I already made fun of Terror Broom, but there are other offenders too.
So if there wasn't the trilogy with 2 greatly improved other games in it waiting for my party I think I wouldn't like this one as much as I do. I can still level up Great Need knowing that it will finally work in Star Trail. Same for some demonology combat spells, at least 2 of them don't work in BoD.
Terror Broom stays a joke though if I remember correctly.

Still waiting for your input, party members.
Kalin
Azira
JoKa
Tigranes

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, let's check out the pirates in Daspota. Probably by foot.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
lElDSCa.jpg

Violent spasms and putrid discharges are just part of momma nature's healing process. :M

Also note how the "official" so-called "healer" scammed us out of some serious yehzah, who's really the quack eh?

Oh, and sure, north sounds good!

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
3 votes in, it's settled then.
We will go north and try to part some unsuspecting pirates of their booty.
At least let's hope they don't see us coming. But first we'll have to arrive there, Daspota isn't exactly around the next corner.

Kalin
As far as I'm concerned you're both quacks. :cool:
That healer was lucky btw, afterwards I reloaded that savegame and tried to repeat it. 2 days of continuous failed attempts. :lol:

Last edited:

JoKa

Cipher
I'm fine with North as well. And I'm pretty happy with successfully casting Odem Arcanum on the first try, I have a great future ahead of me!

Tigranes

Arcane
Don't any of you dare and try and heal me, all this vomiting is just nature's way

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
This seems to be a fine LP. Just to know: NotAGolfer, will you attempt to do the rest of the trilogy in their due time?
Hey, thank you. :)
It's my first LP btw so improvement suggestions are welcome.

Oh and I don't think I'll continue to do it this detailed, I showed stuff like the ways to create light sources, all those tavern visits and resting at inns just to demonstrate the game mechanics. Will reduce it to stuff that's helping the story from now on. Hard to say what get's scrapped in the end though, this game pretty much lives from all the small stuff happening.
Well, I'll just go with the flow, you know. ;)

Regarding LPing the rest of the trilogy when this here is finished:
Yes, I will. That is if I'm still motivated enough to do it at that point.
I rate Star Trail higher than Blade of Destiny (one of my all time favorites in fact) so I will play it anyway. So why not just LP it while I'm at it.

Too bad the remake is such a disappointment. I tried to get into it and if I had managed to I would have LPed that but that UI and that combat screen and those NPCs and the way taverns and merchants are portrayed and how every single building in the gameworld is some shitty little chateau and so on, that's too much for me to tolerate.
The barebones graphics of the original that leave most stuff up to the imagination of the reader of all these textboxes is just so much superior to the hilariously failed attempt to create something modernized imo.

and since I'm rambling anyway:
Will see how far they will get with that Bright Eyes project, looks like they can actually pull this off and reverse engineer the whole game. And maybe then they will remove the remaining bugs and finally implement some of the missing spells and skills. These people are nuts. I like it. (still don't like that crystal's DSA site though, can't deal with the fact that I can't download their magic resistance bugfix because they didn't bother to upload it outside of their secluded community :argh:)

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
A question to all:
Dosbox screenshots are always 320x200 no matter which scaler, so of course I use a tool to resize them (before making panorama images with IrfanView). First I just doubled the size, then I tripled it.
I just now realized that the 960x600 ones look rather blurry though, was too busy creating and uploading them when I wrote the last update. ^^
So is 640x400 big enough or should I try to find a tool that also sharpens them automatically? If so, which tool would you suggest for that?
I won't use IrfanView for that though (doesn't work very well), it has to be an automated tool where you first select a group of images and then let it do its thing. And it has to do it better than Irfanview Shift-S.

Nevermind, I think I'll just use an external program to make screenshots from now on, so it already captures the upscaled screens dosbox produces.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm OK with what we've got, but the external solution you mention at the end should work.

I really loved playing RoA but I could never properly get to grips with actually taking a party all the way through. I just enjoyed roaming around, getting diseased, fighting, eventually losing half the party to starvation and then the rest disappearing in a forest ambush.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm fine with whatever works for you,NotAGolfer . As long as this LP keeps going, that is the most important part. Getting burned out because something is too much work is a big No No.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Drunken Sailors

Last time on LCLaKOAiRoA-BoD:
Against all odds our ragtag gang of wannabe adventurers successfully survived their first quest. They cleared the cellars of the Old Imperial Fortress in Thorwal of sneaky bandits, rattling skeletons and one spooky demon while also making a sport out of triggering every trap in their way.
Now they are supposed to go on a noble quest to find some legendary sword and use it to fend off the notorious huns orcs, ferocious humanoid beasts who seem to be up to no good ... the usual.
But that would be pretty dangerous, wouldn't it? And we first need more training and better equipment. Also I heard the weather in the orcish lands is kinda harsh this time of the year. Really, let's not rush things here. :M

So our heroes decided to do something about the missing experience and equipment first and rob some robbers, meaning the infamous pirates of Daspota, just about 3 day's marches along the coast north from Thorwal.
They will never see us coming.

The trip to Daspota

We're still in Thorwal, our heroes are well fed and well equipped for the trip and can't wait to dive into their next adventure. But first we must decide if we want to take the road or the boat.
So let's check the harbor and see if we find a boat to Vaermhag or Varnhome, since I have a feeling that there won't be a passage to Daspota directly...
wfCuAkW.jpg

22 hours? That's a bit too slow, I bet we are faster on foot.
Also Azira and JoKa are quite excited about the Thorwalian region and want to learn more about these strange, rugged people and their weird customs.
And JoKa doesn't like traveling by ship anyway, he gets sea-sick very fast. A fine Thorwalian he is.
So it's decided then, we walk. Where did that red square road to Vaermhag start again? There it is:

svcMz7R.jpg

After an uneventful night wrapped in our blankets we arrive at Vaermhag.

WslPbgg.jpg

Hey, I could swear I already met you... Do you have a twin brother living in Thorwal? And do your houses have the same architect by chance?
Nevermind.

Since Azira's attempts at hunting were unsuccessful (well at least she didn't hurt herself, that's something, right?) our travelers are quite hungry now.
We should ask for directions and local rumors anyway so let's visit a tavern.

5vy8FB8.jpg

Geez, these yokels just can't take a joke.
This is no way to treat your soon-to-be saviors, we should leave this unfriendly place right now.

After a few hours back on the road ...

u4s6W6z.jpg

This looks welcoming, but Varnhome isn't that far away anymore and we still have enough provisions, so no need to rest here.
An endless road and another day's march later we finally arrive in Varnhome, which will be sort of our base camp for our raid on Daspota.
I can already smell their booty, harr!

lMF5tWy.jpg

How about another try to mix with the locals?
We still don't know anything about the dangers ahead of us and all the marching made our heroes hungry and thirsty.

CurWQyX.jpg

No, it isn't. Who cares about Auplog?
Maybe the other guests have some valuable information to share.

2O5R7vy.jpg

Well, that was certainly helpful. Not regarding Daspota, but still, I think we should visit that local scholar he talked about.
The tavernkeeper gave us directions so we soon found the right house.
I wonder if that scholar can help us on our quest...

IdpusTm.jpg

Sigh, stop with the freaking sword already, we don't care about that right now! We're here for booty!
So tell us what you know about those pirates. No?
Whatever, just carry on but don't expect us to listen.

qnuoSok.jpg

1FQHXKY.jpg

So let's see...
She mentioned that fellow from Breida again. And some sailor girl from Skjal. And a woman in Clanegh. Phew, that's a lot to digest, indeed quite scholarly, that woman.
Wait what? She has a map? Maybe it could lead us to Hyggelik's sword quickly so we can be done with saving the world and concentrate on more pressing matters like booty! :bounce:
Okay, now I'm intrigued.
But she wants us to do her a favor in return? Yeah, sure, why not haggle when the world's at stake, I'd do the same.
What favor then?

Jnsdbwb.jpg

God without a name? You mean like "he who must not be named" or "you know who"? :M
So let me get this straight. You want us to undertake a dangerous sea journey to some remote island and then piss off a fucking god by destroying his temple...
Sure, we do it. Can't let them get away with that no name shtick, all things must be labeled or we are all doomed.

But we still want that pirate booty first!
Since that scholar didn't know anything about pirates let's keep asking around.

QQ8lYdv.jpg

Hyggelik, Hyggelik, that dead bastard is haunting me, I swear!
Fine, then I guess we'll have to go to Daspota blind.
But we should get some sleep first, everyone is a bit footsore.

The next morning after visiting the local merchants who conveniently cover everything we need and after selling them all the stuff we don't need so we can haul more booty,
our heroes continue their trip to the infamous pirate's nest of Daspota.

TFPUIvb.jpg

Doesn't look too far, we should get there in a day.

4ObrIrf.jpg

Sounds like a fun place to be. Can't wait, yo ho ho! :bounce:

Robbing a town full of drunken pirates

And here we are, Daspota, a town full of warped, ugly houses, testimony that their just as ugly, scurvy-plagued inhabitants feel far more at home at sea than on shore.
I wonder what treasures and riches are waiting here for us to pick up or if necessary pry out of some dead pirate's hands.

Or maybe someone here has a map to the buried treasure of some famous pirate captain.
WtBeP2s.jpg

Enough with the pleasantries. I have a feeling that we need more convincing arguments around here.
Let's get ready to rumble!

rEig00V.jpg

Okay, ready.

6iUBTaI.jpg

See, that's the sort of language these folks understand.
And there are just two of them, this shouldn't be be a problem.

wbQbqw2.jpg

Okay, let's see, uhh. Oh boy, everything looks nice.
Alright, I'll take the short sword, the sickle, the obsidian dagger, the mengbilar and those three poison bottles back there.

Now JoKa just has to find out if some of that junk is magical.

Rgf2yH2.jpg

The obsidian dagger and the short sword are magically treated too btw. The short sword raises its wielder's attack value so Azira will use it as her main weapon from now on.

Oh, look over there, booty! Well, the other kind, but that's fine. The boys need to relief some tension after all that fightan.

qaaJ0cY.jpg

That should teach them!
... Figuratively, there's nobody left to teach, they are all dead.

HYa2Jf6.jpg

See that splatter effect? Fallout shamelessly copied that stuff from RoA. True story. :M

Now let's search the brothel and the bodies for loot.
It's the right thing to do. They would do the same.

uLO3HSr.jpg

:yeah:
Azira leveled up and as a result she became stronger and less superstitious.
Smooth sailing so far, seems like we really catched these pirates off-guard.

Now let's see if there's a tavern in this stinkin' pirate's nest where we can relax a bit.

nZzBeol.jpg

Damn, these pirates just won't give us a break. :negative:
We should retreat back to the entrance and use it as a chokepoint.
Azira didn't make it out, there's a breach and pirates are streaming out. Everyone is losing health fast.
This doesn't look too good. I think we need some more poison.

pv2cNkH.jpg

After that we make short work of every pirate in this shabby dive. And we don't spare the ones with eye patches and wooden legs either. No special treatment for cripples, everyone has equal rights to die. :cool:

Our reward for being that badass:

DcFeYYt.jpg

A few more of encounters like this and we are out of four-leaf loneberries and poison...
Anyway, Tigranes, Kalin and JoKa all leveled up and became stronger. For the rest of their stat changes please check the end of this update, this numbers stuff is kinda boring and we just gained some momentum here.

We still didn't find any great treasure, golden jewelry and magic weapons and poison bottles don't count.
Maybe in that building over there, it's somewhat isolated from the rest of those shacks.

PRKaIM4.jpg

Of course we enter, what an incredibly stupid question. :lol:

Four more pirates in here:

HaxYjpp.jpg

255 ducats, a really valuable piece of armor, some more jewelry and more poison. And a bastard sword and an orc hook, sort of an axe, both magically treated by the way. I rate this treasure :3/5:

A few encounters with the friendly locals later (among them a carpenter, another tavern, another brothel and a sailmaker) we are still good for another round at least. Let's see where else we can get into trouble.
I wonder what's in that cave over there...

0my9QUT.jpg

See that "plate armor" in there? It's actually not a full armor but just for the arms. The scale armor is very valuable though so we should take it with us.
Phew, that stuff is heavy! Azira looks a bit overloaded but she says she's fine. We should get back outside, this cave is a trap.
Shit, indeed.

GxeH5cT.jpg

You sure you're fine, Azira?:argh:
We still managed to defeat them and afterwards Azira and Tigranes ate some Gulmond leaves (strength +2 per leaf) and the party redistributed the loot.

There are still pirates left standing, we have to kill them all. No witnesses.

ecDchbT.jpg

Great, now Tigranes is out of arrows. And out of poison. I guess we will have to improvise in the upcoming fights.

What's that noise? Seems like we found another tavern. Let's have a chat with the locals.
:happytrollboy:

ucHuBBw.jpg

I don't wanna waste valuable Kukris poison on this scum, but we can't beat them with determination alone.
Kalin's got an idea. He wants to try out that Acceleratus spell he learned on the last levelup.
And after 2 failed attempts he finally gets it right:

VLS9nAy.jpg

11 movement points! Translating into 2 attacks per round. And on top of that 2 gulmond leaves so Tigranes is strong as an ox and deals up to 12 damage on every successful attack.
He turned into a killing machine!
The rest of the fight is a rather ugly slaughterfest so I will spare you the details about all the limbs and guts flying around, about the screams and the futile begging for mercy. Suffice to say we won.

In the end this was a cakewalk and there's just one house left to loot here, then they can officially call this a ghost town.
We should be careful though, our resources are completely spent and everyone in the party looks battered, especially Kalin...

hC3hGUp.jpg

I will miss this place. It has a certain vibe about it, rather Codexian if you ask me.
:love:
No time to get sentimental though, they wanna kill us, so we should kill them first.

FBaIeA3.jpg

Why do you have to be that reckless and draw all these melee attacks on you, Kalin?
Who told you to do such an incredibly stupid thing?!
Oh, right.
Anyway, Tigranes and Azira saved the day again and after the last enemy exploded the whole town went eerily silent.

This place belongs to the dead now, we should leave and sell all that precious booty we found here.

FGR8XUu.jpg

Another slog later we arrive back in Varnhome, ready to let the local quack patch up our heroes and to sell the treasures we found in Daspota, former infamous pirate's nest and now just as infamous ghost town.

Back in Varnhome

So the group actually survived the showdown with the pirates and now has a shitton of loot to sell.
Thankfully they don't need to haul it any further, since Varnhome has all three kinds of shops that seem to cover all the different consumer needs in this part of the world.

Let's visit the merchants and see how much this trip earned us.
GOo35EV.jpg

Nice! We are really favored by fortune. The magic weapons that we had no use for didn't earn us much btw, their price was the same as their normal counterparts. Makes sense I guess, why should those merchants know that these aren't ordinary weapons?
Now we just need something to spend all that dough on...
Maybe a ship? We are still about 18500 ducats short for that I'm afraid.
Or maybe we can bribe the locals, to make it easier for us to find that stupid sword.
... Do orcs have use for money? JoKa says no, too bad.
Whatever, I'm sure we will find use for it.

Now about those nasty wounds.

uswVnwA.jpg

And finally, some dry numbers.

Basic attributes:
rbFdJNJ.jpg

Skills:
3HrBB5m.jpg

Spells:
akKRd5v.jpg

Same question as last time, where do you want to go next, party members?

We could check what we find on the other roads leading to Daspota, maybe we can still find some real pirate's treasure, you know, huge piles of gems and tons of gold and stuff like that.
Or we could search for that temple of the god without a name and destroy it so that scholarly woman in Varnhome gives us her map to Hyggelik. Or we could follow one of the other leads we got, Felsteyn, Breida, Skjal, Clanegh.
If we even care about the sword that is. I have the feeling that there's still a lot of time left on the doomsday clock.

Poison bottle counter: 11 (it doesn't get better if you keep sending them on suicide missions :P)

Last edited:

JoKa

Cipher
I vote for trying the other roads to Daspota and afterwards head for the temple of the Nameless god (strange translation they have going there...).

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
DĂ©jĂ  Vu

Last time on LCLaKOAiRoA-BoD:
On the last episode the group visited Daspota, ex pirate hideout and now thanks to us just another dead and boring place amongst many others in the Thorwalian region. They accepted all the challenges by the town's fearsome inhabitants and in the end they prevailed. Which isn't such a big surprise with most of those pirates being drunk as a skunk but anyway, nice job rooting out that evil!
But they couldn't find that legendary Daspota treasure they heard so much about, only some money, a few magic items and some other stuff worth selling. So after having arrived back in Varnhome and selling all that loot they decided to head back to Daspota and see if they can find the real, buried part of the treasure, you know, the gems and chests full of gold. Let's see how this goes.

Finding the treasure ...

We are still where we left off last time, Varnhome, the last beacon of civilization before the godsforsaken wilderness to the north, which was an ideal hiding place for many of the pirates roaming the Gulf of Prem. Well at least before we arrived.
We should go back to Daspota first and then start searching for the spot with the x.
Azira is about to lead the way again, she's circus folk after all so she feels right at home on the country roads.
But this time Tigranes stops her, explaining that he spent his whole life in the woods and therefore would be better suited to lead them into the wilderness ahead.

XonI0Ma.jpg

6xfFGqI.jpg

With his nifty magical sickle Kalin became a true herb search dog.
And it seems like Tigranes didn't talk too big back there either, but now we have surplus meat we don't need. We should offer it up to Firun, the god of hunting.

96WXsWm.jpg

Yeah, I know, we just threw it away. And no, it isn't bad for the environment, we just made some scavengers very happy.
A few hours later we arrive back in Daspota. Nothing changed since our last visit, at least if you don't count the new inhabitants, the carrion birds that opened buffet recently and are now everywhere. We should move on.
So Rybon or Ottarje, which way to go? Didn't the guide book that came with our travel map mention that Rybon is sort of a supply point for the Daspota pirates? Sounds like this is our best bet.

nhAoLCD.jpg

10 Miles behind Rybon it is? Thanks for the guide, dead pirate woman, I hope we paid you back in kind. Boron at least will be pleased.
Now on to Rybon. It's a "supply point" so it should have some supplies for us, right?
Wrong, after we arrive there we find nothing but an inn, a blacksmith and a Travia temple. Let's visit the inn and see if the innkeeper has something interesting to tell.

imQRr7s.jpg

So Thoss it is then. Or at least ten miles in that direction.
Looks like a steep :incline:.
About 14 hours later:

U0epVcn.jpg

And lifting it
There we are. All hands on deck, treasure ahoy! :bounce:
Licorice chewed, let's carry on!
cfbore8.jpg

It's just a worthless little book that not even JoKa can make sense of, but we should keep it. Maybe someone will pay a lot of money for it.
There are a lot of locked doors with difficult locks down here, even difficult for Azira's skilled fingers.

JsczXGV.jpg

Under a mattress?! Ingenious hiding spot, really. No way his mateys could have found it there. :M
In the next room ...

8hTCP7M.jpg

Whoah, what's that? Could it be? Might we have already found the legendary Daspota treasure?!
:bounce:
Sorry, just a handful of weapons and armor. Rather useless for us.

hEZMUU2.jpg

Now let's go deeper down the abyss cave. So far this feels like adventure holida...

vQCbauq.jpg

:rage:
How much worse it can get? A lot worse apparently.
It wasn't a soft landing and on top of it they got company.
JoKa won't be of much use so Azira has to improvise:

9zKrG1D.jpg

There's nothing but a chest full of useless books in this room, so Azira unlocks the door out.
The corridor behind it leads in two directions. We need to find the way back to the first level, Tigranes and Kalin would have a difficult time with all those locked doors on their own.
We'll try going south first.

LYKr1kh.jpg

Damn, how can these pirate lunatics even survive down here?! :argh:
But we can't turn back, we have to find the way back to the rest of our group.

CRpE3XS.jpg

JoKa can't just use four-leaved loneberries to heal himself, and for some reason Azira can't feed them to him either.
And not enough time has passed since the last healing attempt, not that Azira would be any good at it, she would probably just make it worse.

FKmjEh7.jpg

And she's dead. :|
No really, dead like a door nail. So there's noone left in this part of the group to drag the two of them along with him.
We completely forgot about that trap. Cut her skull in half just like a melon. Not a pretty sight.
Sheeet.

Seems like Tigranes and Kalin have no other choice than trying to make their way down there and rescue/salvage the others. Ok, they could as well just run away and let JoKa die too but they are heroes, they won't do that.
:whiteknight:
Instead they take on the challenge and fight their way past fatal traps, fiddly locks and filthy pirates to rescue their comrades.

5lveHSd.jpg

Soon they find their way down to the level where Azira and Joka are lying around somewhere helplessly and just as useless.

q4FHhvy.jpg

So they should have gone north from that first room, damn!
Hang in there (well, JoKa at least), help is on the way!

iRkQ88K.jpg

Phew, avoided it this time. And directly in front of that trap we find our two unlucky spelunkers.
Luckily JoKa is still breathing. Kalin can't use his healing talent either, still the same nonsensical bs about not enough time since the last attempt. I guess we should use the last resort of every desperate adventurer, magic.

zGqurIY.jpg

Azira is still dead as a dodo of course. That blade really made a mess, yuck! We better pick up all the little bits and pieces so we can resurrect her later. Or is that unnecessary? :?
Hey, this is the first time for me too, you know!
Before we leave this crazy place we still have to find that treasure or else all of that shit was for nothing.
Oh great, another locked door. And even better, Kalin just broke his lockpicks.

I1UEzCR.jpg

These guys are indeed tougher and hit harder than most of the pirates we met.
But they still don't stand a chance, we have weed and magic, we have the power of love!

eTHf6Gx.jpg

I wonder if those fellows were guarding something ...

0cpwY1m.jpg

The chain mail is magical and worth 75 ducats as we find out later.
Alltogether I rate this treasure :2/5:, since we can't use the chain mail and it's quite disappointing after all we went through.

Back to the surface and to civilization

There's just one locked door left and then it's time to leave this bloody cave.
... Wait, there's suspiciously much space between that dead end corridor and the other rooms, maybe we missed a secret door? No problem for JoKa and his magic skills, more precisely the "Penetrating Wood and Stone" spell he learned on the last levelup.

1WmbaH1.jpg

So it seems like there is nothing there. Disappointing, I was hoping for a secret room with the real treasure in it.
Well, back to the last locked door. Maybe we find something interesting in the room behind it...

GfXjTGq.jpg

That did do the trick...
But what was it that we achieved?
Turns out that this mechanism deactivates the trap Azira died in. I wished we knew sooner.
:negative:

7RwreNF.jpg

We are done here, back to the first level.
We still didn't get past that trapdoor there...

Gwh6CCB.jpg

The key might have opened one of the many difficult locks we picked, but now it is completely useless.
More money is always welcome though since it doesn't weight anything. I guess it's magically enhanced too.
Time to leave this cave and get back to Ryb...

EelY0Ax.jpg

Ok, correction, I will complain. WTF?!!!
Where the fuck are we and why did noone ask us if we even want to cross that fucking mountain range?! :argh:
There isn't even a temple here, just a healer. And the usual general goods village store that won't buy that heavy chain mail. Oh, and that stupid book we found in the cave is completely worthless btw.
I guess we have to haul the dead Azira and the armor all the way back to Rybon if we want to complete the quest to destroy that Nameless God's temple before the year is over.
But before we do that we should at least visit the healer, maybe we are lucky and he knows how to revive the dead.

qJtLEml.jpg

Thought so. Back to Rybon then.

L2Hrqo1.jpg

Take this, you fat, ugly chicks!

nxQJkDH.jpg

A few hours later we find that hut the innkeeper in Rybon mentioned. The party decides to spend the night in it.

xNcPZ0f.jpg

After traveling a few hours on the next day:

nwfjMjr.jpg

Great, we found the deathtrap cave again. Let's abuse that trick again where you enter a cave and after leaving it you fast travel to your destination! This time it will hopefully even be the correct destination.
And indeed, soon after we arrive back in Rybon and instantly carry the now very ripe smelling Azira to the Travia temple.
Gods aren't cheap so we decide to spend 50 ducats on "donations".
Now let us pray.

y4y5dYN.jpg

From Rybon we head back to Daspota, and without wasting any time there we continue on to Varnhome.

HSIAlsJ.jpg

Sure, we'll be back on time. Let's search for an inn to spend the night.
The next morning:

q4qkJD8.jpg

In Ljasdahl there's a temple next to the harbor where we thank Swafnir, son of Efferd and the protector of dragonships, for our save passage. Afterwards we save the game of course. ^^
Everyone in the party except for Azira has around 29000 XP and is now very close to the next levelup. She still sits at about 23600 thanks to her little timeout.

Poison bottle counter: still 11 (... we should have used some, then maybe Azira would have been in a better shape and survived that trap)

Last edited:

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
In case you're wondering, I gave up on trying to take screenshots with an external program.
It just doesn't work because Dosbox would react to the keystroke and close many of the text windows before the external programs triggers the screenshot. At least that's what I think happens.

I might switch back to just 600 pixels for the width though, on imgur it always ends up bigger and blurrier than it looks before uploading...
Or maybe I could use a different image hoster. Suggestions?

Last edited:

Severian Silk

I played a good bit of the HD version and I have to say this game is BORING.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Sorry, folks, but I think we'll have to delay that Nameless God temple visit for a bit.
I just realized that the group doesn't cover one particular magic skill needed to really clear the temple. They will have it covered on level 5 though.

So what should we do next instead? We could follow one of the other leads like that sailor woman over in Skjal or the guys in Breida and Felsteyn.
Or we could sail the seas a bit, maybe visit Prem or one of the other islands, Runin and Manrek.

Tigranes
Azira
Kalin
JoKa

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Could always go back into the ITZ caves and make camp at that massive barrel of port. If we can't move it, better live next to it... :M

Failing that, maybe go to Skjal and Prem and scam some more yehzah from drunk farmers? Need to pimp our hawt and reborn Azira now that he cost us the whole fricking treasure!

Tigranes

Arcane
Another vote for Skjal, yes. We seem already to be surprisingly competent, though.

11 movement points! Translating into 2 attacks per round. And on top of that 2 gulmond leaves so Tigranes is strong as an ox and deals up to 12 damage on every successful attack.
He turned into a killing machine!

Drugs solve all problems, especially pirates

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
We seem already to be surprisingly competent, though.
Not so surprising, tons of cheap healing herbs, spinach Gulmond (you said it yourself) and poison and a retarded AI on the battlemap, this game isn't exactly rocket surgery. And there are more tricks in the book than those btw and I will try to show some of them later.
When you don't solo it then it's quite difficult to find the right balance between too much cheesing and too many self-restrictions. With the group we have here it might be possible to do it all without any poison for example (and I will try to avoid using it in the future). The classes I chose might be shit but in the end all that matters is how far they raised the important skills. Since I don't play this game for the first time I know pretty well which ones are important and there aren't that many. There are quite a few completely useless skills and for a beginner playing with less than the usual 6 chars including a mage, an elf, and a dwarf could backfire since he might misskill.

I don't play this for the combat anyway, which is not that bad for the time, but also not exactly great. What I play it for is the traveling part and the dungeon design, and for the tinkering around with the skill system and finding out what does what. I have more fun figuring out how games work than beating them and I rarely finish any since the formula in most of them isn't addictive enough for me - doesn't apply to RoA though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom