Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Let's catch plasma in Xenonauts: an Ironman LP

The Story
The Xenonauts are a clandestine organisation founded jointly by NATO and the USSR in 1958 following the Iceland Incident, humanities first contact with extraterrestrial life that left Iceland a radioactive wasteland and both superpowers with staggering loses. Their purpose: a global fighting force to protect the world from extraterrestrial invasion. Initially well funded and with powerful backers, the Xenonauts set about meticulously studying the events of the alien contact. Though no technology was recovered from the site and there were few survivors of the battle, some useful data was gained. Special forces soldiers were requisitioned and formed into strike teams, and brilliant minds from both sides of the Iron Curtain brought on board. Aircraft were refitted to use materials known to be resistant to alien weaponry, soldiers were drilled in combat doctrine, and radar data analysed to find a plausible way to track extraterrestrial craft. A network of underground installations was secretly established to provide coverage across the globe.

But without a looming threat against which to defend humanity, the organisation fell into decline. Powerful backers retired or lost their positions, replaced by people unaware of the events in Iceland. Geopolitical considerations clouded the judgement of the major alliances, each coming to distrust the organisation formed to unite them because of its close ties with the other. Funding was reduced to a trickle. By 1979, the Xenonauts were reduced to only a single installation, a dozen trained soldiers and a handful of loyal researchers and technicians. Shrewd political maneuvering ensured they retained access to the most advanced technology developed by both the West and the Soviets, but only in limited amounts.

Q&A
  • What the fuck is this and why should I care?
Xenonauts is a spiritual sequel to UFO: Enemy Unknown. There are plenty of differences, but anyone familiar with the former knows how a mission can suddenly go to shit in a amazingly bloody way.

• What are you playing?
Ironman, obviously :obviously: Veteran difficulty with the XNT mod, so quite a bit of stuff will be new to me.

• Will you show us everything?
I'll be throwing up a glossary for the initial equipment as well as showing you what I research. All missions will get at least a few screenshots.
  • What do you want from us?
Suffer not the Xenos to live. I need skulls for my throne and bodies for my dropships.

• In before abandonment at page 3.
Fuck the haters :smug:

Whoever volunteers to die in the vanguard, I honour you :salute:

Glorious Dead
  • Cpl Tindrli - 12 Sep - 0 Kills, 2 Missions - Pounded into red mist by two Gargols :salute:
  • Cpl Milven - 17 Sep - 0 Kills, 5 Missions - A Harridan shattered her shield and her face with a single shot :salute:
  • Sgt asfasdf - 03 Oct - 6 Kills, 8 Missions - Slipped into unconsciousness after being blasted by a Caesun Guard, whispering the name of his beloved shotgun :salute:
  • Pvt Serratedbitz - 03 Oct - 0 Kills, 2 Missions - Died of anal hemorrhaging after being captured by Caesun Guards :salute:
  • Pvt Jester - 03 Oct - 0 Kills, 1 Mission - Last heard screaming "There's fucking two of 'em!" before KO'd by presumably a Caesun Guard :salute:
  • Cpl Dead Guy - 03 Oct - 7 Kills, 4 Missions - Helped a Caesun Guard with promotion after Dead Guy became its 4th victim :salute:
  • Pvt MrContinuity - 06 Oct - 1 Kill, 1 Mission - Did his duty as a sandbag assaulting a Scout defended by a Caesun Guard :salute:
  • Lt Grzegorz Brzecyszcykiewicz - 16 Oct - 33 Kills, 15 Missions - Soiled her legacy by dropping arms and fleeing right into the arc of a Light Drone :salute:
  • Cply Quilty - 16 Oct - 0 Kills, 4 Missions - Stood her ground and died bravely, slowing down a Andron Soldier :salute:
  • Cap Night Goat - 16 Oct - 9 Kills, 13 Missions - Fed into the grinder as we swarmed the final Andron Soldier guarding a Corvette :salute:
  • Sgt The Brazilian Slaughter - 22 Oct - 4 Kills, 6 Missions - Gaius Maximus was meant to have his back, only to reduce him to pink mist :salute:

Victorious Living

BqchfrG.png

1Y95OVY.png

iajyleY.png

7LLi69A.png

xlY6WU5.png

o1SjiPc.png

r0ZNZgB.png

15WmMKL.png

SbB55ol.png

fQgHS7K.png

OPg4k6o.png

Rear Ranks
  • Asxetos - Sniper
  • SmartCheetah
  • Meat Slapper - Rocketeer
  • Jaedar
  • Absalom - Flamer
  • Alienguy
  • MrContinuity II
  • Alex Heartnet - Sniper
  • Jester II
  • Helly
  • Sulimo
  • Spekkio - Rifleman
  • Dead Guy II
  • Trash

Air Force
XrJpgzD.png

IOvmXdK.png

Xenopedia
Xenonaut Aircraft
07jiIzt.png

n7IsNLR.png

WYW8T1H.png

48QCcKn.png
Xenonaut Aircraft Weapons
jR1m2ak.png

raBVS85.png

1E1CCs1.png

TCzshjl.png

Hkgi7h2.png

fj0COWX.png

vNRJyDF.png

rLiG4cq.png

rlvC3rU.png
Extraterrestrials
e9tN4Pc.png

SSTjofw.png

TPV7ZeN.png

r215GT0.png
Xenonaut Weapons
gbmmr2I.png

cFqqPkJ.png

yWEXbza.png

vYob0Gi.png

5z9Q1og.png

q0i0pxT.png

5VEmfdD.png

MsMLtmK.png

PciVxXH.png

I2SWqyM.png

NX6Hj3Q.png

SfuazTy.png
Xenonaut Armour
KPwPJXk.png
5gy7MOi.png
Base Structures
dx19UxH.png

ObIvpY6.png

drxrNWw.png

cQGuCw9.png

opAFeJF.png

N90jebq.png

sNnbrZ3.png

I77oUra.png

DdtLYpu.png
Strategy
XVyMbca.png

qDN5fzD.png
Alien Units
mHEK5Lu.png

nJHa0ir.png

cKj3Pn9.png

POBIC0B.png

itenk9b.png

1VtkNcJ.png

aXalYA3.png

8h63IdU.png

ItyzSL8.png

breML6a.png

fLOFMwA.png

YjqnpWW.png

dbxJ5LU.png

CLHaFw8.png

pLglLdB.png
UFOS
OR5BC1u.png

vwKm767.png

qRhRu1C.png

AZo4ob5.png
AJYg67d.png
Xenonaut Vehicles
joLlsVm.png
Alien Technology
7nFdQjr.png

Kc4Z2U0.png

kjWUj6U.png

gSeEu9A.png
Alien Weapons
MnSklNJ.png

2ZaSjgg.png

OEscAsn.png

Fe5EMN1.png

LdGQbq1.png

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is the game stable? I mean, no saves corruption nor crashes? Enough to consider ironman? Anyway - thanks for the LP for XCOMesque title (cause we love high body counts, especially for human side).
Might jump to the list as a Paxton Fettel - machinegunner.

razvedchiki

Erudite
Gaius reporting for duty sir!

just remember a couple of things that are different in XNT

-you will unlock betTER stuff by capturing intact cores of alien ships starting from corvet and up,you need 2 of each kind 1 for research and the second to unlock better tanks,armours etc so be careful not to fire too many explosives inside the Ufo.

-XNT introduces some new alien types which unfortunately may be encountered very early,and at that point you may not be able to harm them in any way so be ready t o abandon the mission.

Jester

Arbiter
Singing up

Batton, shield and grenades. Prefer non-lethal take downs. Before they die they will tell all their secrets to mother science.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
In before page 3 abandonment completion by getting everyone killed and losing.

Update 1: Base Building

1st Sep - 5th Sep

Our primary base is set up in the old Knights Templar foothold of Cyprus with a secondary on the coast of Kwanzania.
t6OfaHo.jpg

Initial buys are another lab to double our researching capability, a couple of radar arrays and a medical centre, which I think we'll be needing.
wZMId8v.jpg

It doesn't take long for us to get contacted!
WMVIzbz.jpg

We lose contact and, despite some reports from South Africa, cannot locate the UFO again.
jkEpkwE.jpg

Our Scientists finish maudling to give us some info that is completely useless. Thanks guys, I see why we're paying you so much.
AC9JuY3.png

On the bright side, they hook us up with some state of the art USSR and NATO tech.
YvERnj8.png

xdfk6OU.png

Research begins on an AFV and we place an order for a SU-T10 Fighter.
E7Qqpzc.jpg

It doesn't take long until another UFO is detected, this one managing to creep well within our detection range.
c6IrU9o.png

Our Condors intercept in North Africa.
1Bt59PE.png

ON7nXW5.png

Even with all 4 missiles connecting, it all comes down a cannon knifefight.

And on that note, it's time to meet the team.
ofGqo8t.png

Well then, time to get to work.
Yp3Qkc0.png

Our initial position is in the right corner of the map, with a solid line of trees protecting our left flank. The concrete blocks lining the railway track give us solid cover to leapfrog to.
ejdftie.jpg

Well that didn't take long. First enemy turn and they're already trying to mindrape poor Paxton Fettel.
SqnBNYG.png

What the fuck is that? The weird alien dog thing dashes out of sight, but from the screaming we know it's happily chowing down on some civvie.
7FthIEm.jpg

The enemy are definitely equipped with more than plasma pistols! From the blast radius of that impact, it looks sort of like a mini grenade launcher.
ZkTbWOr.jpg

Plasma from out of the blue barely misses Night Goat, alerting him to a flanking alien. His burst of rifle fire can't take it out and he's completely in the open!
hxmK8I7.jpg

Gaius Maximus is a student of the EXTREME doctrine, but even a direct incendary rocket can't kill the Xenos!
oTtuxCp.png

Which costs us Milven; her shield devouring the damage of the alien blast weapon, but the shockwave knocking her clean out.
l2Viiwk.jpg

Obscured by smoke, Night Goat doesn't need a third chance to finish of the purple vested alien.
fmfmvSG.jpg

The Alien alien is discovered over the body of a local and Ulminati purges both their souls with holy promethium.
7lBDJfL.jpg

Two blasts not enough, asdasdf blasts it with his shotgun.
5P9v0F8.jpg

Oh shit..

V5QW5Cc.jpg

Thank fuck it only ripped his face off, not impregnated him with a Chyrssalid baby!
C0GSyr5.jpg

Vengeance is shoot for Ulminati :smug:
97PPI4H.jpg

A strange egg thing is discovered a bit further to the north, Ashery scrambling it without any hassle. There's another alien dog here, but it eludes our attempts to find it. With rockets.
fWmWwMZ.png

No wonder we couldn't find it! It'd looped all the way behind us, the fast fucker.
z1aky5d.jpg

Discovering the downed UFO, we quickly take up positions to cover the entrance.
VvLdblR.jpg

Tindrli was guarding our northern flank and gets blasted out of the unknown, dropping with a scream.
CbUsNU4.jpg

Reinforcements are en-route, but our bro is still bleeding out on the deck.
PxeGyG0.jpg

A rocket and a well placed shot from Ashery take out the albino freak, the egg popping from the heat of the flames.
qJOGot4.jpg

Taking no chances, I order Ulminati to drop a C4 charge at the entrance of the UFO. One alien comes to investigate the noise, but Night Goat's reactions are up to the task.
JT5RJWB.jpg

BOOM! The doors shatter, but Ulminati comes dangerously close to death as he sneaks a peek at the cornered Xenos.
hqKNv9L.jpg

Squad broken! Is good he cowered, letting Paxton Fettel stop him from bleeding to death next turn.
M3Z2t2Y.jpg

Hunting north of the crash site, Asfasdf is smashed by reaction fire from an egg. So it actually does something!
RNV2fb6.jpg

Ashery snipes it, and with that...
JGaq0Px.jpg

Mission complete. A massive haul. The two defending aliens must have succumbed to smoke inhalation.
wdPLvQj.png

Last edited:

razvedchiki

Erudite
i have urgent report to make commander undead!

-my old army contacts reported to me that another species of aliens was sighted on some incidents in africa,this one looks like the alien dog we encountered last mission but its taller hits harder and has a pink colour!
no known weapon can penetrate its thick skin,but a tactic was devised to take it out: load one trooper with C4 and sent him to hung the alien scum!i vollunteer to be the first one to test the tactic!

-i have also heard seargent ULMINATI singing "im too old for this shit.,lalalalla,i dont have time for this shit,lelelel",maybe his mind couldnt take the crap off the last mission and he sliped to a new mind desease called "popamoling"!
maybe a friendly fire accident incuding a rocket and the face of the seargent is due sir?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom