Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's bring monocles and steam to the savage wilds in Clockwork Empires and get eaten by fishpeople.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
hooray-zoidberg.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It's just a shame you can't name colonists (yet) for a true Kodex Kolonial Katastrophe

Hellraiser

Arcane
Good news, Gaslamp Games decided to push revision 31B from experimental into the main branch. It fixes cultist altar-building and Axe Murder (which we did not see at all in this LP) as well as makes combat harder (soldier training makes a difference) and fishpeople a lot more dangerous (they either have more HP or soldiers now miss shots, also I think they can score insta-kill critical hits now).

Bad news, it introduces some kind of infinite loop bug related to the work crew screen. Which pretty much crashes the game about half of the time I open that screen.

And since they pushed it into the main branch it is totally impossible to avoid it by playing the main branch rather than the experimental build.

:rage:

I'll try playing more despite it, but I fear that until revision 31C comes and fixes this, the next update may be delayed.

Hellraiser

Arcane
NEW ANTIPODIA I:
TALES OF DEFORESTATION AND OF SMELLY FISHMEN

CE6-001.png

Fever, a vile pestilence I no doubt caught from some poor person. Certainly not from any prostitutes, a man of my station does not use the services of such vulgar and improper women.

Right, back to my fever. It no doubt caused those nightmares. Dreams of incomprehensible shadowy shapes. Dreams of the cries of hooded men and women chanting "Ia Ia" or something similar in Stahlmarkian. Dreams of axe murder and man-fish.

Hopefully these are in no way connected to my newest assignment from the Ministry. I have finally been recognized as fit to lead a colonization expedition in New Antipodia. What luck! Fortune and prestige await me in these new lands, certainly no crazed religious fanatics and fish shaped like men...

Day 1

CE6-003.png

No sooner than we landed a man-fish, just like in the nightmares, came charging at us. Could the dreams be visions of the future? Nonsense, superstitions fit of ignorant illterate masses. I am a man of science and industry, I do not believe in dreams like some woman or other cretin...

CE6-004.png

While the construction of the Sawmill was progressing, our soldiers discovered another carnivorous legged land-fish.

CE6-006.png

The nearby beach is full of mysterious exotic black eggs. No doubt they belong to some kind of turtle. Either way I ordered the proles to harvest them, I want to know how they taste. In addition to the local black fungus and ligonberries, these might soon be the staple of a settler's diet.

Day 2

CE6-007.png

Immigrants arrive, they will help me build the greatness of this colony.

Day 3

CE6-008.png

The Ministry sent us building materials, I'll need these to set up a proper industry.

CE6-009.png

A curious sound started coming fro the direction of the beach. Gurgling, as if men were being drowned.

CE6-010.png

The noise was heralding an attack! Luckily the footmen swiftly dispatched these fishpeople.

CE6-011.png

With the kitchen and farms working I ordered the proles to gather precious clay and coal. We will need lots of bricks if we are to bring civilization to this land. Also now we can bake bread from rich in gluten wheat. Things are going rather smashing.

Day 4

CE6-012.png

Immigrants continue to arrive. No doubt they have heard of how a great job I am doing. Even the most illiterate and flea-infested of Rivetside's street orphans can become productive members of society through hard work in New Antipodia.

CE6-013.png

Cog save us! An ominous noise of gurgling and evil chanting announced yet another fishpeople attack! This one was the biggest yet.

CE6-016.png

They came armed with coral clubs, whalebone machetes and even "guns" so queer that Novyrussians would raise an eyebrow in disbelief.

CE6-017.png

They cornered one of the womenfolk, however a brave servant of the Queen Amanda, Cog bless her soul, shot the foul creature before it was too late.

CE6-020.png

Acursed creatures! They murdered Grover Goldenrivetcotter, a fine conscript. Well, he died for Queen and Country. What better way is there to end ones mortal existence?

Body Count: 1

CE6-021.png

I have noticed that a new fashion has swept the settlement. People, and even women, have became quite fond of hoods, dusty tomes and ornate knives.

Day 5

CE6-022.png

Construction of housing for the lower class continues. All it needs is a few more cots. Meanwhile work on the Ceramics Workshop begun. Also I had the lumberjacks get rid off the pines in the south. Trees, what good are they for anyway? The world would be so much better if factories replaces all the forests of the World...

CE6-023.png

Another supply drop came this morning with a passing Airship. More materials which will be used to build our factories.

[
CE6-025.png

Nearly in the middle of the night the fishy terror struck once more. "Quaggaroth fhtang!" they shouted between gurgling like Rivetside drunkards, that have fallen into the brown-green sludge that is the river there. They also smell pretty much the same.

Day 6

CE6-026.png

I noticed that some of the crops started withering. What are the farming overseers doing? We need those crops harvested!

CE6-027.png

HatofulShuu.jpg

:M

CE6-028.png

More men-fish! Curse the seas that spawned them!

CE6-029.png

An overseer arrived today, here's hoping he solves our farming woes.

CE6-030.png

A vile fishperson was caught butchering and eating the body of our deceased soldier! The fiend! He was soon punished for his barbarism by our soldiers.

Day 7

CE6-031.png

More accursed fishpeople wreck havoc in my glorious settlement! One was seen destroying our crops! Well sure, they were all withered and dying anyway, but such actions are still an insult to Her Majesty and the Empire itself!

CE6-033.png

Gigeon Oresight, a most scholarly and literate person for one of such low birth, though one who has no luck in gambling it seems, has unfortunately been forced to flee for his life when the fishy terror caught sight of him.

CE6-035.png

Luckily the soldiers were not far behind, they saved him before the ichtious menace could kill and devour him. What fortune! Blessed be the Holy Cog!

Day 8

CE6-036.png

The upland landscape found further away from the beaches is poor in timber but rich in rocks. A mason's dream come true.

CE6-037.png

Construction of the second workers' housing began. Also our crops of pumpkins are all but lost. At least the middle class folk are enjoying themselves talking about hats. A man without a hat is no better than the common stray dog.

To be continued...

The Work Crew screen crash is still pestering me but it is not as frequent as I thought.

One thing you can see now is that there are far less animals around. This is not due to the biome, there was a bug where animal attraction to humans was working the opposite to what it should and instead of avoiding settlements they all flocked to it (hence all the bloody Beatles in Sogwood). This makes starvation even more of a problem, as you can't hunt and butcher the shit out of animals filling up early game food stockpiles so quickly as you could.

Also I was shocked at the soldier dying. That fishperson had to score a crit, as that murder text looks unlike anything I seen before.

Last edited:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
How strong are the fishpeople anyway? I was surprised that you repelled the 11 fishpeople raid so easily with only 3 soldiers.

Hellraiser

Arcane
How strong are the fishpeople anyway? I was surprised that you repelled the 11 fishpeople raid so easily with only 3 soldiers.

I think I had four as I got one extra during an immigration wave.

TBH until ammo gets implemented (soon, hopefully), fishpeople will be pretty easy. Shit is going to get rough when ammo scarcity comes into play and you have to choose between more food for yoru colonists, ammo to defend them and materials to become more self-sufficient in supply drop events. But they're not supposed to murder you outright unless fuck-ups start piling up. Even now the [redacted] that cultists can create/summon is more menacing (not sure what it is as devs don't want to spoil the fun, but not Quaggaroth, yet, AFAIK). And there will be invading foreign powers (Guten Tag freunde! Would you like some sauerkraut mit blitzkrieg?).

omega21

Arcane
Is there an...endgame for this? Managing the life and times of a small town strikes me as a bit boring, can you do any global trading and such?

Hellraiser

Arcane
This hasn't ended has it?
I just happened by.

No, I'm waiting for the weekly experimental branch revision to fix shit. And by shit I mean the infinite loop related to the work crew screen which crashes the game.

Looks interesting... Will there be z-levels?

AFAIK the answer is no, unfortunately. Then again Humans are not dorfs.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
The good news is that revision 32, the october update, will feature the following:

1. Ammunition! People will now require bullets to shoot. It is really important to have plenty of bullets. These come in exciting crates, and soldiers will need to restock their bullets after successfully putting bullets into a fishperson.
  2. Mr. Baumgart has happily given you a glorious disposable Commodity with which to defend your colony against outside intruders, to whit the Land-Mine. You’re welcome.

As seen in action:

fortification.jpg

Ha, gurgle some more fishy gits!

Since they already shown landmines these will probably be in the experimental branch this week. So we'll get that and the fix to the bloody work crew crash most likely.

:incline:

Ammo is something I already expected to come soon. Fishpeople will become a bigger nuisance. Also there's a plan to overhaul the economy, add machinery malfunction and other stuff for the monthly main branch update.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Day 8 (continued)

CE7-001.png

The commoners started babbling about hunger, famine and other silliness. Even went as far as write letters to the ministry sent via pigeon mail. The stupid wankers in the ministry seemed to believe in the nonsense as they dropped off some food today. Oh well, free sausage never hurt anyone I guess.

CE7-002.png

Some of the rabble are still complaining. Maybe if they had the wits to work the fields they would not be starving.

Day 9

CE7-004.png

Luckily the ridiculous nonsense written in all those mails did not scare away prospecting colonists.

CE7-005.png

Still, there was one death due to starvation. Some woman I heard. I filled the colonist death form field 6 in section D, asking for the reason for starvation, with "Victim of new dieting fad". This is after all in no way the result of mismanagement, I am managing things fine, these fools just brains.

Body Count: 2

Day 10

CE7-006.png

Luckily another supply airship cam by and dropped off more food.

CE7-007.png

A cache of exotic caviar has been located. Truly nourishment fit of a gentleman, I ordered the foraging crews to get right on collecting this delicacy. What could possibly go wrong?

CE7-008.png

Today fishpeople attacked us once again. It seems that we may have foraged some of their eggs. They seem pretty agitated by something. Could be that. Fascinating.

CE7-009.png

I am starting to question if building a settlement near the shore is a good idea. Then again, this caviar is really good.

Day 11

CE7-011.png

Well, the fishpeople killed Abigail whatshername. I will need a new Sawmill overseer now. In fact, why did I have a woman running my sawmill anyway? What do women know of saws? What do women know of anything apart from cooking and giving birth to children? See, this is why she should have stayed in the kitchen, not rush off to do a man's job like some suffragette.

Body Count: 3

CE7-012.png

At least the replacement arrived soon afterwards.

CE7-014.png

Fidelia Chuzzlewit was attacked by some of the fishy fiends. She killed one of them armed with nothing but a fishperson steak. This will no doubt lead to more "strong woman, we can vote too!" suffragette nonsense. Get back to getting pregnant or breastfeeding already. Leave the killing to real gentlemen.

CE7-015.png

I may have discovered the source of all this pro-woman's suffrage attitude, vile communist propaganda from Novyrus. I will need to organise a thorough search of any subversive literature, pamphlets and other publications that were handwritten by the Cogless red menace.

CE7-016.png

CE7-017.png

CE7-018.png

Meanwhile an Overseer by the name of Leopold Brazenboothewer seems to be a quite pious fellow fond of fish, and scared of shadows that, supposedly, haunted him. It is probably nothing.

Day 12

CE7-021.png

Another fishpeople attack came today. These things are rather relentless.

CE7-024.png

Airship dropped off building materials. Workshop construction has been stalled for quite a while due to the lack of those.

CE7-025.png

I need more caviar, told the proles to fetch me some.

CE7-026.png

More proles to fetch me caviar, how delightful!

CE7-027.png

A second, although smaller, fishperson raiding party attacked us in the afternoon.

Day 13

CE7-029.png

Another woman starved to death. Bloody dieting fads, curse these womenfolk for being creatures so fond of chasing after stupid fashion and what not.

Body Count: 4

CE7-030.png

At least it was the communist.

CE7-031.png

A prole had the unfortunate luck of getting cornered by the ichtious beasts.

Body Count: 5

CE7-032.png

This time a man has died due to dieting. How queer of him, I am not sure if he was fond of women. Probably preferred wearing pink scarves as well as meaty sausage, if you know what I mean.

Body Count: 6

CE7-033.png

One of our soldiers was shot to death by another fishperson, how unfortunate.

Body Count: 7

Day 14

CE7-036.png

We need more guns and more soldiers to fight this smelly sea-borne menace.

CE7-037.png

They also shot our NCO. I needed to find a replacement quickly.

Body Count: 8

CE7-038.png

The fields were rather full of these odd plants for some reason.

CE7-039.png

This time an overseer fell victim to dieting. Probably another communist.

Body Count: 9

CE7-041.png

Well, at least that space reserved for the cemetery is not going to waste with all this dieting.

Body Count: 10

To be continued...

Hellraiser

Arcane
Why are you running out of food?

No matter, when they die you will have less mouths to feed...

Probably some issue with the job picking code (farming got pushed back to the bottom of the queue or something I think) was causing the dolts to ignore plowing the fields, as they haven't been doing that for at least a week of game time. Luckily they started working the fields again after a while. Now they're eating raw frankenwheat for the maximum nutritious value of gluten-rich crops without waiting for it to be turned into bread.

That and I ordered too many mining jobs to be done clogging up the queue. :M

omega21

Arcane
Neat. Have you considered putting the entire post in a spoiler tab like how RK47 does it? The picture loading and sending text jumping all over really messes up readability. :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom