Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's blindly play Space 1889.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Now that I've completed my Tower of Myraglen LP... Yep, my trusted two readers, we're going to build the most powerful ether flyer ever! A bit later, though. We still have unfinished business on Mars to take care of.

12: The Unseen God of the Worm Cult

12space006.png

We leave Syrtus Major in search of King Hattabranx, the Martian king who conspired with the Germans to kidnap Thomas Edison.

12space007.png

To the northwest of Syrtus Major lies another Martian city.

12space009.png

Boreo Syrtus, Syrtus Major's little brother.

12space011.png

The place where mostly Hill Martians live, their roofs painted in green.

12space013.png

Well met, my Martian friend.

12space014.png

Hashassa clan? Good to know that.

12space029.png

The old Photho Nhe himself doesn't have anything of substance to say to us.

12space016.png

Because of Tycuus's irresponsibility, my father elevated me in the family lineage becauuse he believes that I am better suuited to lead ouur people. However, I fear for my life. Tycuus's mate, Mikshiita, has conspired against me several times. She had vowed to continuue her vengeful conspiracy uuntil Tycuus gains power.

His son Nyya Myya, however, does. There must be some kind of side quest connected to that, I guess, but I'm not sure how we're supposed to proceed about it. Who cares ayway.

12space034.png

We leave this place and head for the local inn.

12space036.png

A Canal Martian called Kaaraahn wants us to steal the transparent aluminium formula from the US army. Stealing from the US army? The guy's gotta be crazy. They'd bomb the whole Mars to shit.

12space038.png

Next it's chat-with-the-bartender time.

12space041.png

So King Hattabranx must have his dwelling somewhere around here? We'll be sure to pay him a visit of courtesy.

12space055.png

A nearby constable informs us the legendary Worm Cult has its whereabouts here as well. Hmm, I wonder if there's a connection between the king and the cult...

12space043.png

We also discover some kind of cave.

12space044.png

Inside, there are lizards.

12space045.png

As well as some loot.

12space046.png

12space075.png

I wonder if anyone would buy that from us. :? (Not that we should care about that, crazy rich as we are.)

12space048.png

12space049.png

A merchant we encounter wants some weed, but we ain't got any, alas.

12space051.png

Next stop: another Martian house.

12space053.png

With another Hill Martian inside.

12space054.png

Mynosii has a name, meaning there must be a quest related to him, but we haven't yet stumbled on it.

12space096.png

We also come across a particularly funny-looking Martian in some kind of crop field.

12space097.png

Samon wants flyer blueprints, but again we don't have any.

12space058.png

This must be the king's palace. Everyone knows Martian kings just love the colour yellow.

12space061.png

The guards in here aren't particularly friendly.

12space062.png

They tell us to bugger off, but at least they don't attack us on sight, unlike some cultists will later.

12space065.png

I almost expected him to say "you are beneath my fists".

12space067.png

These guards sure are a bunch of cry-babies.

12space068.png

Whoop dee doo
Level two

12space071.png

I guess I should be thankful the guards are so stupid. Otherwise they'd get suspicious or worse.

12space073.png

The door to the king's chambers is closed, but hey, we have that key we grabbed off Baron von Gruber's corpse.

12space076.png

Yeah, this key is totally what we need.

And the door is now open, dee dum.

12space080.png

Rude and unwelcoming, eh? I'll be sure to remember that.

12space083.png

The passages here are quite labyrinthine, but finally we reach the king. Where's your crown, king? Just what kind of king are you?

12space084.png

Germans != all humans, dear.

Anyway, he clearly wants us to kill him, so we oblige.

12space087.png

Those intestines look good on you!

12space091.png

Ooh yeah, another key. The key to the Worm Cult. Ain't I a perceptive bee.
:thumbsup:

12space093.png

Sounds cool. Now we only need to find the door that it could open.

12space099.png

I had to consult a walkthrough here, 'cause what the fuck, there are no clues.

Anyway, we leave Boreo Syrtus for Moab. There's supposed to be a map we need there.

12space100.png

12space101.png

And here we are.

12space105.png

Let's explore inside some buildings.

12space107.png

A bearded man, huh?

12space108.png

I can't bear the thought of the Germans having such a prized possession. If you retrieve Shakespeare's Works for me, I will be most grateful.

Hey folks, it's Jules Verne!

12space116.png

And guess what, we have just what he needs.

12space118.png

Unfortunately, this fetch quest is more complicated than it may look at first. Being given the Works of Shakespeare, Jules Verne sends us to the London Museum of History. Oh well.

12space125.png

Another building has another Martian tribe.

12space126.png

This time it's Yuni tribe.

12space132.png

Outside, there's Dr. Fairbanks.

12space133.png

If you can provide the proof that I need for my new book, I will pay you an amount in the area of £500.

The game's supply of fetch quests sure looks unending.

12space139.png

There's also this Martian.

12space140.png

He gives us a Skrill Arena pass. You remember that Skrill arena we came across in the previous update, don't you?

12space143.png

Well, I can only tell you one thing: we won't be playing this crappy mini-game.

12space147.png

Whoa, a constable.

Fort Dickerson? Is that where we met Jules Verne?

12space149.png

And here's the man we've been looking for.

12space150.png

The god of the ch'rault only speaks to those who ch'raan prove they know the language of the Anch'raiients.

Teegok hands us the Worm Cult map and tells us we must know the language of the Ancients to speak to the cult's god, whoever it is. Luckily we have those Scrolls of the Ancients, so we should be fine.

12space156.png

All right, it's time to head back to Boreo Syrtus, then.

12space166.png

Twelve steps south of the inn, blah blah. Digging the ground, we manage to find the entrance. Let's see what dwells down below.

12space168.png

Cultists!

12space169.png

They don't talk to us, attacking us instead. Bastards.

12space172.png

Again, the door is locked, but we have the key.

12space178.png

12space179.png

We find the stairs down to level two and climb them.

12space181.png

12space182.png

There's also some loot to be found down here.

12space186.png

Looks like we've found the one in charge here.

12space187.png

So this is the cultists' god, eh? Doesn't look particularly god-like.

12space189.png

To prove we know the language, we hand over the scrolls.

12space190.png

:o

12space192.png

Standing before you is a strange being, not human, not Martian, but seemingly possessing characteristics of both races. Standing roughly six feet tall, the being is extremely thin, with a very long, pointed chin that adds an alien quality to his wide, thin-lipped smile. What fully separates his appearance from a standard human is the color of his skin and hair -- both of ivory hue that reflects an air of old age. He is dressed in a tunic, trousers, and sandals. He carries a fist-sized emerald in his left hand, and he strokes it meditatively, as if it were a pet.

12space198.png

Twelve years ago, an ether flyer, piloted by professor Tereshkova, crash-landed on Luna. Tereshkova was rescued, and he became my dear friend. Two years later, a band of Martian pirates arrived on Luna. Believing the rumors that I was the god of the moon, the Martians abducted me and brought me here to rule this cult. In a way, it's flattering to be considered a god, but I long to return to my people.

12space206.png

The sound of commotion far off in the distance confirms Kleuht's warning. You take the emerald, bid farewell to this hermetic alien being, and quickly escape from the secret depths of the worm cult.

The secrets of wisdom and immortality? I'm in!

Next time: dat flyer!

lightbane

Arcane
A Canal Martian called Kaaraahn wants us to steal the transparent aluminium formula from the US army. Stealing from the US army? The guy's gotta be crazy. They'd bomb the whole Mars to shit.

If that's so, what are you waiting for? Do it!!

12space108.png

:what: :love: It's Jules Verne!! Awesome!!!

Germans != all humans, dear.

This is extremely common with demi-humans in japanese works that have RACISM!! how EVIL HUMANS ARE as one of the themes. Usually only the bad guy is the only one to blame, but the others are very quick to believe the entire human race is the culprit, looking like paranoid retards in the process. 70% of Jrpgs do that (Chrono Chross was one of the worst, where humans not only were peaceful but nature-loving, yet they're blamed for the extinction of another race that they never met).
Then there's Radiant Historia, where the main character, Stocke, tries to peacefully DISCUSS why the non-humans hate humans, explaining his reasons and so on, but the fanatics ignore him.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
lightbane said:

If that's so, what are you waiting for? Do it!!

Haha, that'd be awesome indeed. Too bad the game's too static for that.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Secrets of wisdom and immortality sounds pretty nice. I wonder if the game's just trolling and you get a "the secret is that they're both unattainable" message at the end of the quest.. :smug:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Oops sorry, I accidentally uploaded the images to the Something Awful image host. Will re-post the update shortly. Stay tuned. :P

Crooked Bee

Patron
13: Whisperdeath, or, Catching up with Thomas Edison

Now this is going to be a totally random update for the most part. Lots of useless NPCs are going to entrust us with lots of worthless fetch quests we aren't gonna do. Feels like playing a Bethesda game.

13space003.png

A she-devil of the desert is met outside Boreo Syrtis.

13space004.png

She hands us some kind of talisman for us to gain access to Prince of Aubochon's chambers. She probably just wants us to get rid of the fucker.

13space012.png

Some kind of key, then. All right, we may as well pay that prince a visit, so as not to just rush down the main quest line.

13space007.png

Another quest-giver is wandering lonely nearby.

13space008.png

Toruk's infant son is ill, and only we, the chosen ones (tm), can help him. Toruk presents us with a Tribal Bajuy that we, in our turn, are to present to one Zaturo Andaka in Aubochon.

13space018.png

A fine piece of tribal art indeed.

All roads lead to Aubochon, it seems. Let's find the place, then.

13space019.png

We stumble on some Liftwood poachers along the way.

13space020.png

And get immediately attacked. There are many of them around, and the combat interface is a horrible time-consuming mess, so I don't feel like fighting and simply run away.

13space023.png

13space024.png

It does take us some time, but we do manage to locate Aubochon eventually.

13space027.png

Sup, Hill Martian.

13space031.png

13space032.png

Looks like that She-Devil isn't the one to hold grudge against the prince, eh?

Well, let's pay the prince a visit, then.

13space034.png

But first we make sure to find Zaturo the healer...

13space036.png

...and give him Toruk's Bajuy.

13space037.png

The fetch quest turns into another one! Truly the wonders of quest design.

13space163.png

A gem on a rope. Fancy!

So we're supposed to bring this talisman to Fazuck the Healer in Moerus Lacus, yet another town on Mars. *sigh* Well, at least we haven't been sent to Venus or worse.

13space044.png

A bar. You know the drill. It's talk to your local bartender time.

13space048.png

Thomas Edison is being held on an ether flyer called Whisperdeath. Nothing we didn't really know, but hey, a useful piece of info for a change!

13space050.png

More Martian architecture! So alien!

13space052.png

13space053.png

Gosh this game has TONS of filler content. I wish they had rather focused on less but better content.

13space054.png

Some totally cool avatars could be ripped from this game, though. If only DU hadn't banned adding more avatars to the Codex gallery...

13space067.png

Remember those Liftwood poachers we encountered earlier?

13space068.png

This guy wants us to exterminate 'em all.

But meh, navigating around is enough of a pain for me. Screw this side quest.

13space072.png

Allright, time to "infiltrate" the prince of Aubochons' palace, hehe.

13space074.png

13space075.png

Hmm, the guards won't let us in. And we can't walk past them either.

13space084.png

Only one option, then. :salute:

13space086.png

So long, suckers. And you two suckers as well.

13space088.png

:smug:

Moments like this are definitely the high point of the game.

13space090.png

The talisman the She-Devil gave us allows us to unlock the doors and enter the palace.

13space091.png

The palace guards are so totally hostile, but we simply run past them and cure ourselves up when need be.

13space099.png

There isn't much variety in floor tiles in this game, but at least these ones are painted in a different colour.

And up to the third floor.

13space105.png

13space106.png

The guards up here apparently didn't hear the explosion on level one. :lol: They aren't hostile.

13space126.png

Well, soon they will be. :smug: They'll learn it the hard way.

13space127.png

Kaboom, and we can now enter the prince's private chambers.

13space128.png

Some nice loot there, to boot.

13space130.png

Sup, ex-Prince.

13space131.png

Nah, we're just in it for the lulz.

But sure, have it your way.

13space135.png

13space137.png

Ah yes, the symbol of royal power. Let's give it to the crazy loon outside, for the lulz.

13space149.png

13space150.png

Hehe, I knew this would end up being fun. :incline:

13space154.png

Still, you won't be the Prince for long, friend.

13space155.png

The Bethesda syndrome is strong in this game indeed.

We can't pick the Tiger Bone Cane up off the corpse, alas, it must've been destroyed in the fire fight, but whatever.

So yeah, we're supposed to bring this talisman to Fazuck the Healer in Moerus Lacus. Now where could that Moerus Lacus be? :?

13space170.png

Is this it?

13space171.png

No it isn't. :/

But whatever, let's see what this town has to offer.

13space175.png

13space177.png

Ooh, a Japanese-Martian crossbreed.

13space178.png

Amulet of Seldon? Sounds familiar... somehow.

But no, we don't have one with us and we're so totally reach anyway, so screw this, yet another pointless fetch quest.

13space187.png

13space188.png

My, resolving all these tribal conflicts would sure take eternity. I'm outta here.

13space191.png

Now what do we have here?

13space194.png

13space195.png

How 'bout a big FUCK YOU instead.

After another half an hour of wandering around....

13space207.png

13space208.png

I can't believe this. Freakin' finally. Moerus Lacus.

13space213.png

Sup, Fazuck the Healer. You're just the one we've been searching her. Can you please enchant this amu--

13space214.png

The fetch quest chain... is... endless! I can't take it anymore. Let Toruk's son die, I don't care.

13space235.png

Time to hit the sky again!

:yeah:

13space236.png

And to build the most powerful ether flyer in existence!

13space240.png

:incline:

Whisperdeath will go down before it can whisper "death". :smug:

13space242.png

13space289.png

13space244.png

We easily catch up with Whisperdeath. No wonder: we're, like, ten times quicker than it is. :P

Now Edison is on board, so we mustn't destroy it. What we must do, rather, is approach it and then Link and Board it.

13space246.png

And voilà, here we are.

13space247.png

13space248.png

The rogues try backstabbing us, but we just run past them -- the way we always do.

13space254.png

I'm all outta gum dynamite, so we have to kill those two guards (guarding the door to Edison's holding cell) the old-fashioned way.

13space258.png

Or rather, we only have to kill one of them. :P The AI is too stupid to care anyway.

Why, hello there, Thomas.

13space259.png

Edison, staring at you intently, realizes you are not hostile when you withdraw your weapons. "Boy, am I glad to see you," he says with beads of perspiration pouring down his face. "That was one hell of a commotion out there. I didn't know what was going on!"

13space268.png

For the money? Now why doesn't that surprise me? :roll:

13space269.png

Possibly ammonia, or argon gas, but that is scarce and hard to acquire. Most importantly, massive solar energy would be required for such a lengthy voyage. As you journey further in space, the solar boilers that gather energy directly from the sun, would fail. Some type of artificial electric energy would be essential. Something similar to the tiny glow crystals on Mercury. They absorb the sun's rays and mysteriously convert them to electrical energy. Trouble is, glow crystals are very small. In order to power an ether flyer for a journey that long, you would need one about six feet tall. What I'm trying to say is, ether propulsion past the asteroid belt is possible, but highly unlikely."

13space278.png

Next time: so what the hell do we do now?

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Nice update with a rather disappointing end. He just up and went away? What then? We go visit him back at Earth? We're supposed to travel beyond the asteroid belt for the secrets of Immortality and Wisdom so there must be a way.. M:

Again, much :love: for suffering through this for us. You're a true sis! :bro:

lightbane

Arcane
This game is like a trainweck that tries hard to be fun... But fails. Like a Bethesda game :M

Lol with your dinamite abuse and randomly killing that prince, good thing that no-one cares about these retarded Na'vis Martians.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Azira said:
Nice update with a rather disappointing end. He just up and went away? What then? We go visit him back at Earth?

Nope, not that. There's one other plot-critical thing we should do next. The main quest isn't completely linear. Rather, there are some concurrent threads/routes/plot lines that all converge eventually. Thomas Edison's was just one of them.

If it were better fleshed out, I would even call the main quest design clever. But it isn't, so it isn't.

Crooked Bee

Patron
A short, yet plot-critical update is in order.

14: A Sad Tale of Professor Tereshkova and an Ether Propeller

Apart from rescuing Thomas Edison, there is another storyline we must follow, that of Kleuht Na Vriss, the god of the Worm Cult we met earlier, and Professor Tereshkova, who is stranded on Luna. Let me remind you.

12space198.png

Twelve years ago, an ether flyer, piloted by professor Tereshkova, crash-landed on Luna. Tereshkova was rescued, and he became my dear friend. Two years later, a band of Martian pirates arrived on Luna. Believing the rumors that I was the god of the moon, the Martians abducted me and brought me here to rule this cult. In a way, it's flattering to be considered a god, but I long to return to my people.

12space206.png

Unfortunately, I forgot to grab the emerald Na Vriss dropped on the floor for us to pick up, so we have to head back to the Worm Cult hideout.
emot-argh.gif

14space052.png

Aha, here it is.

14space053.png

Majestic!

Let's fly to Luna now.

14space110.png

:headdesk:

14space112.png

Oh cool, we've arrived.

14space114.png

Bloodrunner is a random pirate ship.

14space115.png

We can pew-pew it for easy cash. (Not that we need cash, but whatever.)

14space003.png

Luna looks kind of cool.

14space005.png

I really like the landscape design here.

The manual has some info on Luna and its inhabitants, by the way.

Luna -- Earth's Moon

Of all the inner planets, only Earth has a companion of any significant size: the Moon, known more popularly by its astronomical name, Luna.

Luna is 2160 miles in diameter (3392 miles in circumference). Surface gravity is only 16 percent that of Earth; and Luna has no surface water, two aspects which make it extremely inhospitable to visitors and difficult to explore without specialized equipment. Occasional expeditions on the lunar surface have, however, discovered numerous entrances to sub-Lunar grottos and caverns which are inhabited by Moon Men and Selenites.

selenite.png

Selenites are likened to Earthly insects. They resemble a cross between a human being and a beetle. They live in settlements throughout the caverns of Luna.

moonman.png

Moon Men are actually descendants of the long-destroyed planet Vulcan, but they have forgotten their origins. The most striking difference from humans is their pale, almost translucent skin, which shows an elaborate network of veins and arteries, and a hint of the musculature working beneath. Their rough, scaly skin has a faint blue cast. They are about man-size, perhaps a bit taller, but appear shorter as they are somewhat stooped.

Rumors continue to persist about hidden treasures and great wealth in diamonds hidden in the caverns of Luna.

But anyway, time to descend those stairs.

14space007.png

"The city... of a cave"? :?

14space010.png

Hey, look, a man of the moon!

14space012.png

Hazardous!

14space013.png

Green insects!

14space015.png

Sure he will.

14space017.png

Glowing yellow... fungus?

14space022.png

Neat.

14space027.png

Light and science? What science? :?

14space034.png

You bet.

But wait, shouldn't Professor Tereshkova be around here as well?

14space038.png

Oh.

The cave is really labyrinthine, by the way. :incline:

14space042.png

Must be the Professor.

14space064.png

Damn. What is he, French? I thought he was supposed to be Russian or something.

I'll spare you the frustration and re-write Tereshkova's speech in proper grammar.

Get away from me or I will cut you to pieces. You are no better than the Martian scoundrels who came here years ago and kidnapped my best friend, Kleuht Na Vriss.

He doesn't take kindly to us, but hey, we've got that emerald Na Vriss gave us! I wonder if it's going to change Professor's attitude.

14space067.png

14space068.png

Kleuht's emerald!! He is alive, and you spoke to him!!

How the hell does he know we didn't just kill Na Vriss and take his diamond? :?

I always knew that I would receive a message from him. As Kleuht was being abducted by the Martians, he begged me to protect the remains of his crashed ship. Kleuht said that this was the only ether propeller that could carry a ship beyond the asteroid belt.

:incline:

He told me to guard it with my life. If you are going to attempt a journey to the home of the Saurians in the core of Europa, you should equip your ether flyer with this propeller. Although I am too old and ill to travel with you, my dying wish has been granted. I can rest in peace knowing my that my friendship with Kleuht will last forever.

Cool story, old man.

14space082.png

Anyway, the propeller is ours, yay!

14space084.png

The propeller isn't the only thing we need to travel beyond the asteroid belt, however. So stay tuned, my dear two readers!

lightbane

Arcane
:love:

Also, "dear two readers"?? I think you're underestimating yourself too much, this thread is awesome (not the game, though).

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
lightbane said:
:love:

Also, "dear two readers"?? I think you're underestimating yourself too much, this thread is awesome (not the game, though).

True dat. :M

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what happened to this LP?

The game has a very interesting setting and a nice skill selection, but seems rather boring. From reading the LP I don't get any feel for the individual player characters or theirs skills. Are the skills, except lock picking, used at all?

Crooked Bee

Patron
So what happened to this LP?

It's a horrible, horrible game. I may get back to this LP to finish it one day since there should be only a few updates left anyway, but really, the interface alone is so bloody horrible... Ugh.

Are the skills, except lock picking, used at all?

Actively? No. You don't get to select and use them or anything. Passively? Yes, I think they are. They certainly influence combat and things like healing, using explosives and space navigation, at least.

The skill system itself looks like it could be okay, I guess; too bad it was implemented in such a shitty and half-assed manner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom