Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's blindly play Space 1889.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, there's space combat in this game, so I assume we can get attacked by super badass pirate ships or something, so that's what a super badass flyer is for. :P In any case, I just wanted you to participate and tell me what kind of flyer I should build.

And no cheating!! :godimsomadtheyremovedthissmiley:

lightbane

Arcane
08space056.png

Seldon? More like the Void Dragon, you mean :M Also, the monk's portrait is cool.
I would like to post a suggestion for a ship but I'm lazy terrible with maths, so I'll leave it to someone else.

The Thin Man

Novice
That monk portrait should be one of the available options for the codex. It can balance out the white ninja avatar I'm using!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What are our currently available funds total right now? I don't mind trying to put together an Ether flyer, but it's nice to know what the limits are. :M

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bee has > £24000, and our party account has another £20000. The other party members have some negligible sums. Meaning we can blithely spend up to £30000-35000 on a flyer, I believe, and still have lots of moneys to later spend on other thingies and stuffies.
:thumbsup:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Ho-hum.

Been poring over the options and numbers. The weight in particular bothers me.

The different hull sizes have their own weight category, but one would assume the lift would negate said weight when calculating speed, and as such, I guess the hull size tells us what the maximum weight allowance is in the two categories?

If yes, then Hull size I lets us add up to 100 tons of equipment and armor, whereas Hull size II doubles this amount.
Similarly, in your quotes, armor weighs 10 times the hull size in tons. Hull size 1 means 10 tons per level, hull size 2 equals 20 tons per level. Then again, looking at your sample ship, you pay £1000 for level 1 armor on a size I hull, suggesting that either armor is 10 times heavier than first postulated, or 10 times more expensive.
I choose to believe the latter.

Working on these assumption, here is my proposed design:

Code:
Hull size: 2
Lift: hydrogen
   cost £10000
weight limit 200 ton

Propeller type: Edison
power level 5
speed 3,9
   cost £5000
weight 0?

Boiler power level 5
   cost £2500
weight 10 ton

Engine size 5
   cost £10000
weight 0?

Armor value1
   cost £2000
weight 20 ton

Armament
Top gun: 3-P Hotchkiss rotating cannon
Bottom gun: 40-P rifled breech loader
   cost £1180
weight approximately 1.8 ton

Total cost: £30680
Total weight 31,8 ton

Note that this operates on assumptions as I don't have the game myself, but I'd get the largest hull and make it a maneouverable craft, trying to get on top of the enemy and pepper them with 40 pound cannon-balls. :smug:

I could be wrong in my assumptions as for weight, but in the example you provide about speed, it talks about a 14 ton craft, which is impossible if the hull's weight is also to be considered. And if 1 level of armour should weigh the same as the hull itself, that would also be ridiculous. Unless you can purchase excess lift to counter that weight?

Anyways, hope we'll soon get to see some ether-flyer combat! :salute:

Duke Malinar

Novice
love this thread!

joined this forum just becaus of finding this, been playing Space 1889 all day whilst off sick, just got off earth and loving it! even got used to the interface!!

keep up the great work crookedbee!

I salute you! :salute:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Oh hey look, someone who's actually enjoying the game!!

Thanks for the support, Duke! :salute: I'll keep it up, sure.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Drama queen.

You think I'd have sat down and done those calculations on an Ether flyer if I didn't enjoy the LP?

Then again, you're just pulling a Spekkio here. I shouldn't be surprised. :rpgcodex:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sure you didn't. Almost all LPers try to guilt trip people into posting in their thread, it's just natural. :love:

Just trying some reverse psychology here, to see if I could guilt trip you into updating. :P Did it work? M:

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 9: Mars and a vashkt Geerman conshkpiracy

In which we fly, fly, fly, fuckin' fly (argh when will this end?), pew pew, and learn of crooked German plans!

First we must visit a bank to transfer some funds from the party pool to Miss Bee so that she could afford the flyer Azira designed.

09space005.png

Luckily for us there's a bank not far from Angkor and the ether port.

09space007.png

We pick Withdraw, 'cause that's the option to access our party account, and then choose Miss Bee as recipient.

09space009.png

In pennies!? You've gotta be kiddin' me. Ah well, whatever.

Bee now has > £43000. Should suffice for the flyer.

09space020.png

Dat flyer!

09space022.png

:yeah:

We save the game, just in case, and choose the Use flyer option from the ether port menu.

09space026.png

Fancy loading screen!

09space144.png

And this is the planet take-off/landing screen. The port is below, another ether flyer is here too. We could attack it, theoretically, but it's too fast and huge for us, so I'd rather not.

09space148.png

Reaching the top of the screen = leave the planet's orbit.

09space152.png

Reaching the left/right edge of the screen = nothing; we can side-scroll our way around the planet, theoretically.

And off into the space we go.

09space155.png

Oooh, shiny.

Course lets us plot our course. But first we should select Pariah Zeal as party leader, 'cause he's the one who can pilot and has the space atlas and navigation instruments in his inventory.

COURSE. When this icon is selected, your current party leader will attempt to plot a course horn your position in space to the planet you specify. The party leader will give a list of the constellations that should be followed to get the planet in the quickest way possible. Navigation instruments, Conklin's Atlas and a fairly strong grasp of Science will make the course more accurate. Remember: If your party leader has none of the above skills and or items, you’re more than likely going on a wild goose chase through the ether. Note: see the pictures of the constellations in the Appendix to help you navigate between worlds.

09space157.png

Mars is our destination.

09space163.png

And here's the list of constellations we should follow, just as promised in the manual.

Following constellations is a pain in the butt. The pictures of the constellations are given in the appendix, true...

constellations1.png
constellations2.png

...but good luck discerning those among those god-damned samey-looking stars.
emot-argh.gif

09space168.png

Good gosh this game is a mess. I've no idea just where I'm heading. Not at all.

09space170.png

Oooh swell I've reached the end of the Inner Solar System (= the space we can explore).

09space174.png

This doesn't look like Mars...

09space175.png

...but we land just in case.

09space029.png

Venus.
emot-argh.gif

Back into space.

09space179.png

Fuck this shit.

09space184.png

Whoa, the lucky ol' Sun. No landing there.

09space186.png

Hmm...

09space032.png

Yeah yeah I know, Mercury.

09space194.png

Oh wow just one constellation left till we reach Mars; splendid.

09space195.png

I can't fucking believe this.

09space196.png

Going down down draggin' me down

09space037.png

:incline:

Time to read the f-ing Space 1889 manual.

Mars

The planet next outward from the Earth is Mars. For centuries the dark red mystery of Mars has excited the imagination of humanity; so it was little wonder Edison chose the red planet as the destination of the first interplanetary ether flyer expedition. Accompanied by Jack Armstrong, an intrepid Scottish explorer and soldier-of-fortune, Edison set out on January 6, 1870 and arrived on Mars on March 9. The landing was rough and tore open the hydrogen balloon used to lift the ether flyer into the atmosphere. The two explorers would have been stranded on Mars forever were it not for the fact that the planet was inhabited.

Edison and Armstrong landed just outside the city now known as Syrtis Major, and were taken prisoner by the local Martian ruler. Armstrong quickly learned the Syrtan language, however, and Edison impressed the Martian ruler with his tremendous technical knowledge. The pair were soon released, and Edison was provided with the materials necessary to repair his balloon and generate the hydrogen needed to fill it. Within months, the repaired ether flyer was ready to carry Edison, Armstrong and a curious Martian back to Earth. The triumphant trio landed outside of Cincinnati, Ohio, on August 7,1870.

The Earth was electrified. Edison and Armstrong received fame and fortune. Within a year, dozens of companies were manufacturing Edison Flyers, and vessels of several nationalities were soon making regular voyages to Mars, with rapid and dramatic changes for both worlds. Martian liftwood met the Industrial Revolution, and neither planet would ever be the same again.

The terrain of Mars is as diverse as that of Earth. In broad terms, the world is divided into the ancient seabeds, the vast deserts, the craggy mountain ranges and the polar icecaps. The most salient feature of the red planet, however, is the fact that it never rains. The free water of its ancient seas vanished long ago and is now frozen in the glacial wastes of the polar icecaps or chemically locked into the rust-red deserts. Without free water, there is no evaporation cycle to feed clouds, and therefore no rain. Mars has a diameter of 4200 miles and a surface area of 55.4 million square miles. It has only 25 percent of the surface area of Earth, but its dry land area is roughly equivalent Earth’s. The Martian atmosphere is breathable and very similar to Earth’s. Its most distinguishing feature is its lack of humidity, which reflects the overall dryness of the entire planet. Ancient civilizations dug vast networks of canals to carry the little water that could be found to drying, dying fields and cities. But today, even after Herculean efforts, Mars is a dying planet. When Martian civilization arose some 35,000 years ago, a temporary climatic spasm had melted large parts of the icecaps and flooded ancient, long-dry seabeds. On the shores of those newly-refilled seas the great civilizations rose and flourished. Ten thousand years later, as the climate again shifted and the seas started to recede, the Martian civilizations struggled to reverse the flow of water. When that failed, they dedicated their energies to building the canals that would carry the melted icecap waters to all parts of their world. Those canals today mark the surface of Mars.

Three distinct types of Martians inhabit the planet.

martians1.png

The Canal Martians are the most civilized and most highly advanced technologically. It is they who manufacture gunpowder, cast guns (when they can get the metal), and build the largest and most advanced cloudships. Despite this, however, the Canal Martians possess a stagnant culture and have not made a single major scientific discovery in centuries.

martians2.png

Hill Martians are more primitive than Canal Martians, both in appearance and in technological advancement. They are still capable of relatively sophisticated creations in many different kinds of wood, though they lack the practical and artistic metal-working skills of the Canal Martians.

martians3.png

High Martians are a brutish lot, both physically and technologically. Although they can work metal, they prefer to obtain manufactured goods by trade or brigandage, or as tribute. As masters of the high places where liftwood grows, they have a monopoly on the most important item of trade on the planet.

Since Edison and Armstrong’s historic landing in 1870, the British have established settlements on Mars and exploited many of the natural riches of the planet including liftwood, minerals and metals, and Bhutan spice, a flavorful and mildly narcotic product. Likewise, the Belgians, Germans, French and Japanese all have colonies on the red planet.

The animal life of Mars is diverse as well. Some of the more famous animals include the cunning and fierce Steppe Tiger, Flying Skrill, and the Legendary Fauna, an incredible large, flying dragon.

The lore is the best only good thing about this game. :(

09space038.png

There's a city nearby.

09space039.png

The city of Ausonia.

09space040.png

Water is yellow (and chemical) here.

09space042.png

Weirdly paved roads!

09space043.png

Freakin' acshentsh.

09space053.png

This Hill Martian is the local bartender.

09space054.png

Stole his crown? Well, we won't be looking for it specifically, 'cause it's just another meaningless fetch quest, but we'll keep that in mind.

09space059.png

Hmm, a mansion?

09space063.png

Picking locks!

09space065.png

And meeting weirdos.

09space066.png

Totally nuts, this one.

09space070.png

Lookey here, a cave.

09space074.png

Sup, High Martian.

09space075.png

Ooh, you're a renegade. I'm in awe.

09space078.png

The renegade starts shooting at us, so we shoot back.

09space080.png

Nothing but entrails left of him.

09space084.png

That, and a Bolt Action Rifle.

And then we descend the stairs to level two.

09space093.png

More High Martian Renegades to slay!

09space097.png

And more!

Also, stairs to level three.

09space105.png

Kaboom! is the only way to proceed here.

09space115.png

We deal with another High Martian, and grab some Liftwood off his body.

09space116.png

Niiice. I remember someone offered to pay us some money for Liftwood we find -- someone back on Earth.

09space127.png

A prisoner? At least he's friendly.

09space128.png

A vast German conspiracy?

09space131.png

"Bee Crackeed"? Should be my new username. And I would sure look good in German uniform.

Next time: fly me to Venus, baby!

lightbane

Arcane
*Coughes dust and rust* Oh my god!! It's back!!! :thumbsup: :love:

These martians kind of look like Na'vis, no wonder they're inbred primitive bastards that have been stuck with a stagnant culture for centuries :M

Crooked Bee

Patron
lightbane said:
These martians kind of look like Na'vis, no wonder they're inbred primitive bastards that have been stuck with a stagnant culture for centuries.

:lol: True that, they do look kind of similar.

Crooked Bee

Patron
10: Let's kill some Germans on Venus!

In which we do just that. Well, almost.

So what do we have here? Let me remind you.

09space131.png

On Mars, we rescued a prisoner called Zoho, and he told us the only way to gain entrance to the German HQ is by playing dress-up, i.e., the traditional German way. But first we must find a few German uniforms. Those can only be found in Venusstadt, which is, surprisingly enough, the capital of Venus.

Which means, to Venus we must fly! (I hate interplanetary fetch quests...)

10space026.png

So we go back to the Mars ether port and board our trusty ether flyer.

10space005.png

And then we plot a course to Venus.

10space008.png

I still haven't really learned to navigate those god-damned constellations, so I just wander aimlessly until...

10space011.png

Hell yeah, we've arrived.

10space030.png

Time to shoot some Germans!

10space031.png

Oh... what the fuck.

Our weapons have corroded. Turns out we can't rely on fire arms on Venus since they corrode almost momentarily. :decline: doesn't even begin to describe it... Anyway, our first objective: get some weapons we can use here.

Oh how disappointed we're soon going to be.

10space035.png

Along the way, we get acquainted with the local fauna. Sup, Rexxie.

10space038.png

"All I can see is a dead body." Pariah sure isn't easily impressed.

10space040.png

Skulls all around. Those Lizardmen must be a rough bunch.

What, I didn't tell you anything about Lizardmen? Or about Venus for that matter? My bad. Here we go.

VENUS

The second planet horn the sun in our solar system is Venus. Beneath its constant shroud of clouds, Venus is a swamp world drenched with nearly continuous rainfall and withering heat. Venus is almost completely covered with water, but the average depth is less than ten feet. The swamp planet is now in the Mesozoic Age of dinosaurs, and the vast areas are the domain of lumbering reptiles including Tyrannosaurus Rex, and the flying pterodactyls.

The planet is inhabited by tribes of Lizard-Men.

lizardmen2.png

The Lizard-Men of Venus are upright bipeds, although when speed is desired, they will often slither on their bellies. Most Lizard-Men live in an appallingly primitive state, wandering the lowlands in nomadic, small family and clan groups. Some Lizard-Men, however, have begun to ascend the path to civilization, though they are still savage primitives in most respects.

During the initial journeys to Venus, it was discovered that the peculiar nature of the Venusian magnetic field interacts with the ether in an unknown fashion, causing radically accelerated liftwood decay, a fact which stranded the first three expeditions to the planet.

Germany has dominated the exploration and exploitation of Venus, although Russian, Italian, British and American settlements are also present. Although not as heavily colonized as Mars, Venus presents almost equal economic potential with an abundance of raw materials needed to produce drugs, dyes, and other chemical products. Visitors to Venus will find a number of interesting and amusing aspects to the world. Clothing (leather goods in particular) will grow a thin coating of green slime unless sprayed with carbolic acid every day or so. Though rubberized clothing is resistant to the climate, it is also quite heavy and hot, while most conventional clothing soon becomes rotten and reduced to rags. Iron and steel which are not properly cared for will soon turn to useless lumps of rust. Wood must be treated with creosote, carbolic acid, or some other chemical preservative or it will rot within weeks.

Weapons are essential. Travelers in the lowlands must be prepared to defend themselves from the attacks of giant dinosaurs and hostile Lizard-Men.

So yeah, those skulls are probably supposed to indicate just that: not all Lizard-Men are friendly.

10space046.png

Piles of steaming poo? Nope, campfires.

10space050.png

Scary thing(ie)s abound on Venus.

But where's a damn town? Any town?

10space064.png

Finally.

10space065.png

Ganis Mountains? Okay, whatever, why not.

Sup, lizard-man.

10space070.png

Nice weather we're heaving, aren't we?

(We aren't. All my best weapons are gone. :x)

10space074.png

Random lizard-men dwelling places.

10space077.png

There seem to be two lizard clans around here: Aphrodite...

10space096.png

...and Ishtar. I knew Greeks and Egyptians got all their knowledge from lizard-men!

10space100.png

Hello there, bartender.

10space103.png

Russians and Italians, eh?

10space139.png

The constable tells us the same thing, basically.

I haven't been able to discover any Russians here, though, and only one Italian:

10space105.png

"If yousu can g'entet m'ente a min'enteral d'entet'entectousr, I will shar'ente my 'entengin'ente'entering 'entexp'entertis'ente with yousu."

Guglielmo Marconi. Annoying "accent"-shtick aside, he wants us to fetch a mineral detector for him in exchange for a boost in our Engineering skill. Well, maybe... someday. Travelling around is a pain in the ass in this game, so I sure as hell won't be going out of my way to do all these stupid side quests.

10space113.png

Ah, a weapon shop! :incline:

10space117.png

Now that's a miserable supply of weapons... Okay, we buy some bows, knives, and swords. (Why don't knives and sword corrode, though? :? Ah, whatever.)

10space145.png

A German we meet inside one of the local buildings, Herr Carl Hoffman, wants us to acquire some amulet for him. The pay is good, so duly noted.

Alright, it looks like we're done here. As you remember, our goal is to find Venusstadt.

10space157.png

We discover a harbour to the west of Ganis Mountains, and buy a zeppelin there. Hopefully it will help us get to the capital of Venus.

10space163.png

Is this it? We return the flying transport to the nearby port and enter the town.

10space167.png

Venusstadt.

10space172.png

Inside one the buildings, we stumble on Phineas T. Barnum.

10space175.png

He offers to teach us Theatrics in exchange for a set of lockpicks. Miss Bee obliges.

Phineas T Barnum gives you enough knowledge to increase your theatrics.

10space181.png

I'm pretty sure Theatrics is a totally worthless skill, but whatever.

10space184.png

Miss Bee's Theatrics skill equals 3 now. Enough to fool any German that comes our way. :incline:

10space188.png

A nasty surprise awaits us inside the Governor's Mansion.

10space189.png

We aren't welcome here. But that isn't the surprise I meant. After all, who cares if we're welcome or not? True adventurers just go anywhere they want and take what they please.

10space193.png

The governor not being friendly isn't a big surprise either.

10space194.png

After all, who would willingly part with Shakespeare? :)

No, the problem can't be pictured on any screenshot. And that problem is: I just can't get neither melee weapons nor bows to work. They just don't work, dammit. Stripped of their fire arms, our characters just stand there motionless, not being able to attack the foe, whereas the foe, of course, attacks us no probs. Why? I cannot say. It's just the way it is.
:decline:

It looks like we won't be able to defeat the governor and steal his Works of Shakespeare. And more importantly, we're going to be defenseless against the German forces. This is going to be problematic...

But anyway, back on track.

[
10space216.png

The local bartender can't stand the governor, too, but we can't do anything about it. :(

10space221.png

In a cave to the west, we grab some Bogweed. If memory serves me right, someone back on Earth wanted us to fetch some for him.

10space223.png

The description doesn't sound too appealing, but apparently the weed must have its uses. :roll:

10space229.png

And here we are: the German quarters in Venusstadt.

10space232.png

The guards aren't exactly friendly, and they keep shooting at us, but... we can't fight back. :( The only way for us to succeed here, is rely on Pariah's healing skills and just run through all the rooms as quickly and possible, away from the German guards.

10space236.png

Away!

In one of the rooms, we encounter a friendly Lizard-Man.

10space252.png

Damn sleazy lizard. We have to bribe him, and he won't accept less than £50.

10space255.png

He tells us to find Simon O'Rourke. We do indeed find him in another room.

10space240.png

Everyone seems to be equally corrupt around here. Simon too wants a bribe, and we part with another £50.

10space247.png

Well, at least the information is good. New goal: speak or deal with Colonel Oberst Hans Kurt in Thetis Mountains. Or both.

But first we've gotta find what we've come here for: the uniforms.

10space258.png

And here it is, a whole roomful of them.

10space259.png

Everyone takes two. Because why not?

10space264.png

Just splendid.

We run out of the building as fast as we can, then out of Venusstadt, and begin searching for Thetis Mountains.

10space282.png

Terrific.

10space287.png

Fort Bismarck you say? Just what we're looking for.

10space290.png

One scary space Nazi.

10space291.png

Oh my, he won't just let us in. This is an outrage!

10space298.png

And the door is locked. Good thing we've got those German uniforms, eh?

Now here's another trick that makes no sense and is annoying as hell. In order to fool the guard, you must equip each and every German uniform you're carrying. In our case, every party members equips two. :roll: Just imagine that.

(Wasn't funny for me, 'cause I almost rage-quit when equipping a uniform didn't work. This game is doin' nothin' but tryin' my patience, grr.)

10space314.png

Deep inside the fort, we discover Hans Kurt.

10space316.png

And a battle kicks in.

10space317.png

This isn't funny. :( I thought this would be the point I'd abandon the game and the LP. Not one of the characters could hit Kurt, at all.

And then it hit me. The fire arms only corrode after being used for some time -- a couple of turns, or something like that, since time is kind of slowed down when in combat. And we're thankfully still carrying a few non-corroded ones (thank God we took several spare ones with us). So what if we equip them mid-combat, perhaps we would have enough time to use them to kill Kurt then -- before they corrode?
Yeah, I'm an inventive bee.

10space328.png

Mission accomplished! I even had the time to disequip the fire arms and save them for teh future.

Which means I can go on with the LP. :salute: (For better or for worse...)

10space331.png

Off Hans Kurt's body, we grab a multi barrel pistol...

10space338.png

(why didn't it corrode for Kurt!? :x)

10space334.png

...as well as the German HQ pass we've been seeking.

10space340.png

Time to leave for the ether port and fly back to Mars!

Gosh this game is tiresome to be struggling with. Should've called this update "blood, sweat & tears". Stay tuned, I guess.

lightbane

Arcane
Good thing that you're a resourceful and able to improvise, Miss Bee.
Moar plz.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Update 11: German HQ: A Tale of Infiltration

In which everyone looks so friendly.

All right, so we have a German Headquarters pass now. However, before heading to Mars in order to get down to the infiltration business, let us return to the governor's mansion in Venusstadt and, now that we know the awful way fights on Venus work (note: see previous update), try getting our greedy hands on those Works of Shakespeare. Over the governor's dead body, of course. After all, it's Shakespeare we're talking about.

11space007.png

And here we are. Gosh, all buildings look the same in this game.

11space010.png

Surprise butt-shot! Bet you didn't see that coming, gov'nor.

(Naturally, just like in the last battle we fought on Venus, we only equip the fire arms for the duration of the battle lest they get corroded. The most bullshit mechanic ever? You decide.)

11space013.png

Bam bam pew pew nothing but a heap of entrails left. Well, almost nothing: there's also some loot. Hopefully the Shakespeare is intact.

11space016.png

Bah, no wonder the governor could barely scratch us, what with a weapon like that.

11space017.png

And there they are, the precious darlings.

11space022.png

Totally worth a corpse or two.

11space023.png

We exit Venusstadt, rent a zeppelin, and fly for the ether port.

11space024.png

You can probably imagine how glad I am to leave all that corrosion bullshit behind. I just hope we won't have to set our feet on Venus ever again!

11space226.png

Next destination: Mars. The planet that the Germans claim their own. Bah.

11space228.png

:headdesk:

I'll spare you another account of the frustrations of space navigation in Space 1889. You probably already know they're huge, and I'm feeling merciful today. Suffice it to say, the moment I find out the name and address of the person responsible for the follow-the-constellations gimmick, I'm calling Vilnius.

11space029.png

First let's buy new, real weapons in the city of Ausonia as well as sell the useless ones we were forced to buy on Venus.

11space031.png

There you are, my sweet sweet weapon shop!

WARNING! STUPID GLITCH AHEAD!

11space033.png

I ain't fooling you: this is arguably the most stupid glitch I've ever seen. Selling a Venusian dagger brings Miss Bee... hold you breath... more than £1,100,000! No, I'm not making that up. And that's not all of it.

11space034.png

Selling the Bow and Arrow brings her ~£1,100,000 more! Venusian makeshift weapons sure are in great demand on Mars.

We sell the Single Barrel next, and it only lands us the normal amount of money. So you can probably consider that glitch the game's interplanetary trade feature. :roll:

Naturally, that doesn't only happen to Bee. Whoever of our party members has a primitive Venusian weapon, makes an ungodly profit. Well, I can live with that, I guess.

11space045.png

Next we buy everyone (except Bee, who already has a 12-gauge Lever Action Shotgun) proper weapons: a Maxim for Miss Faith, a 12-gauge Scattergun for Pariah Zeal, and a 12-gauge Lever Action Shotgun for Earl Kazgar. We buy the ammo too, naturally.

11space083.png

Earl Kazgar has only 3 packs of dynamite left, so we buy three more for him, just in case we'd need to tear down some German walls later, haha.

11space092.png

Now that we're well-equipped, let's leave Ausonia and wander about the Martian landscape in search of Syrtus Major, the town where the German HQ is located. You haven't forgot we must infiltrate that, have you?

11space094.png

Doesn't take us long to find it, thankfully.

11space096.png

Now let's see what this shithole has in store for us.

11space098.png

Syrtus Major is stock full of Hill Martians.

11space099.png

These guys are... taciturn, to say the least.

11space100.png

Turns our there's an establishment in Syrtus Major called Skrill Arena.

11space102.png

At least that's what the Hill Martian above tells us.

11space103.png

He also tells us we can't enter it without a special kind of pass, so screw this. I never liked the arena feature in any other RPG I've played, and I very much doubt I'm going to like it in this, let's face it, half-assed product.

11space106.png

If there's a bar, there's a bartender.

11space109.png

And if there's a bartender, there are rumours. Unfortunately, the bartender only echoes my own suspicions about the Skrill Arena. And here I hoped he'd let us in on some dirty German laundry or something.

11space119.png

We also encounter a merchant, who has another generic fetch quest for us.

11space120.png

Bethesda's Radiant Story (tm) must have been copied from Space 1889.

11space124.png

To reach the German HQ, we must cross the huge yellow sand sea to the west. And that's what the sand port is for.

11space126.png

So we rent a sand boat.

11space130.png

11space131.png

Some fancy boat design there.

11space133.png

Hey ho, we've arrived.

11space135.png

Let's brave the German depths, then!

11space138.png

Two guards meet us in here.

11space139.png

They say we can only enter if we're German guards. Well, that's what those uniforms we have equipped are for.

11space142.png

The uniforms let us infiltrate the HQ easily. Baron von Gruber is on the third floor, however, so we must find the stairs first.

We meet some relatively talkative guards on our way.

11space144.png

They're all so friendly.

11space145.png

11space146.png

Suspiciously friendly. I mean, how do those bastards know we're explorers and not German guards? Aren't we supposed to be, like, disguised as those!?

11space161.png

11space162.png

I'm... not sure I like where this is heading. Or maybe the Germans are just a friendly bunch at heart? Maybe the rumours are false!???

11space169.png

Finally, we make it to level three. The door is locked, but we have the pass!

11space171.png

We use it, and voila, we are inside Baron von Gruber's private chambers.

11space175.png

11space176.png

The pleasantries continue here as well. Hmm.

11space192.png

Ooh yeah, judging by his looks, this must be the man.

11space193.png

11space197.png
11space199.png

tl;dr It's a trap. The baron and his men saw through our disguise right away. However, in the manner of all true villains, he gives a villainous speech that provides a clue regarding what we must do next. Namely, we must find that King Hattabranx fellow to learn the location of the Martian ship where Thomas Edison is being held hostage.

Easy peasy, of course, but first we have a minor nuisance to deal with.

11space206.png

The fight is complicated by the fact Baron von Gruber has a bodyguard as well as some heavy firepower.

11space207.png

Takes me two reloads, but eventually we emerge victorious. Let's now see what we can grab off the Germans' bodies.

11space210.png

11space214.png

A heavy revolver and a Gatling gun. No wonder the fight wasn't exactly a cakewalk.

11space211.png

And this looks like something plot-relevant. We better hold on to it.

Naturally, as befits a trap, all the German guards that were so nice to us on our way here are now hostile and trying to blow our brains out.

11space220.png

Damn backstabbers.

11space221.png

Anyway, let's go get those Martians. Foolish enough to ally with the Germans, they shouldn't be much of a problem. Right?

lightbane

Arcane
Lol with that insane glitch. You could exploit that to buy a ridiculously powerful ship, but why bother?? Anyways, continue with your hard work, miss Bee!! :love:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No! Bother! Buy a ridiculously overpowered ship and try shooting down other ships. It's the mechanic that has got us all interested, isn't it? :love: :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom