Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Beta-Test Wasteland 2

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
He's a loony all right, but damn he's too obvious. EVERYONE was accusing him of the sabotage.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Previously on Let's Beta test Wasteland 2:

wl2b_up11_085.jpg

Yes.... let's move on.

Update #12: And There Was Much Rejoicing

wl2b_up12_000.jpg

We probably should have completed this encounter right after talking to the hobo old guy with a shotgun.

wl2b_up12_001.jpg

One million rabbits later.

codex.jpg
Hey, Vargas, we've just killed a bunch of rabbits. What do you say to that?

wl2b_up12_002.jpg

codex.jpg
I'll call you again after we've swatted some more flies.

wl2b_up12_003.jpg

We found a couple of these this time. A nice touch, although foots of the rabbits here would probably be impractical to wear on a chain like that.

wl2b_up12_004.jpg

Desert Rangers' endless quest for potentially harmful items never ends (because it's, you know, endless).

wl2b_up12_005.jpg

azira.jpg
This must be the pump we were told about.

codex.jpg
The one we were supposed to blow up?

storyfaq.jpg
The one we were supposed not to blow up.

codex.jpg
Right.

wl2b_up12_006.jpg

azira.jpg
We could search for the regulator.

codex.jpg
But we probably don't have to. Story?

storyfaq.jpg
On it.

wl2b_up12_007.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Looks a bit complicated. Let me think...

wl2b_up12_008.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Luckily, I'm a genius.

wl2b_up12_009.jpg

Among tons and tons of generic loot, we find this:

wl2b_up12_010.jpg

If I knew what this meant while playing, I don't remember any more.

wl2b_up12_011.jpg

erebus.jpg
Hey, commander, look at what I dug out.

wl2b_up12_012.jpg

Another quest, I guess?

wl2b_up12_013.jpg

We also find this flow regulator at some point, although we don't need it any more.

wl2b_up12_014.jpg

wl2b_up12_015.jpg

Phase blaster is almost identical to ion lance, but has a bit higher range (24 vs. 20).

wl2b_up12_016.jpg

Time to check the other fields.

wl2b_up12_017.jpg

codex.jpg
Will do.

wl2b_up12_018.jpg

This looks a bit like my wife's grandfather's house backyard.

wl2b_up12_019.jpg

There are small enemy groups (supaflies and megamaggots) everywhere here.

wl2b_up12_020.jpg

wl2b_up12_022.jpg

They are no threat to our elite Desert Rangers squad.

wl2b_up12_023.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Yeah, there are big plants here. We've noticed already.

wl2b_up12_024.jpg

Watch out, etc.

wl2b_up12_025.jpg

Definitely needs more encounter variety.

wl2b_up12_026.jpg

wl2b_up12_027.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
She's stealing your 'shout the obvious thing' shtick, Azira.

azira.jpg
Ha, ha, be careful not to trip over my ass there, because I just laughed it off.

wl2b_up12_028.jpg

codex.jpg
Watch out...

erebus.jpg
Flies and maggots. We know already.

wl2b_up12_029.jpg

azira.jpg
I really could use a bath.

wl2b_up12_031.jpg

wl2b_up12_030.jpg

wl2b_up12_032.jpg

wl2b_up12_033.jpg

wl2b_up12_034.jpg

wl2b_up12_035.jpg

wl2b_up12_036.jpg

wl2b_up12_037.jpg

wl2b_up12_038.jpg

wl2b_up12_039.jpg

wl2b_up12_040.jpg

wl2b_up12_041.jpg

codex.jpg
Sorry.

wl2b_up12_042.jpg

wl2b_up12_043.jpg

wl2b_up12_044.jpg

wl2b_up12_045.jpg

These animals were alive when we entered this map, and we had to defeat a bunch of carnivorous rabbits to get to this pen (again, some screenshots did not save). I guess the rabbits killed the other animals and there is a possibility to save them (or will be in the release version).

wl2b_up12_046.jpg

azira.jpg
Look here.

codex.jpg
Nice catch. I'm just hoping the pod people did not spontaneously develop skills in firearms.

wl2b_up12_047.jpg

codex.jpg
Hostiles!

wl2b_up12_048.jpg

azira.jpg
No challenge at all.

erebus.jpg
Very sad.

wl2b_up12_049.jpg

codex.jpg
Dr. Larsen, I presume?

wl2b_up12_050.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
This doesn't look good.

wl2b_up12_051.jpg

codex.jpg
I'm curious as to what steps would that be.

wl2b_up12_052.jpg

codex.jpg
I wanted to ask him about the valve, why do you interfere?

wl2b_up12_053.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Oh, go ahead, I'd love to hear that.

wl2b_up12_054.jpg

codex.jpg
Well... That... Makes sense, I guess.

wl2b_up12_055.jpg

wl2b_up12_056.jpg

erebus.jpg
I think he is bad guy.

wl2b_up12_057.jpg

codex.jpg
Get him!

wl2b_up12_058.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
You have a gun too, Angela, you know.

wl2b_up12_059.jpg

codex.jpg
No problem, it was... Surprisingly easy.

azira.jpg
Only because of my great perception.

storyfaq.jpg
Yeah, obviously. :roll:

To be honest I don't really know what to think of this. It was very easy to expose Larsen. Too easy, in fact. My paranoid nature makes me think it was some kind of double bait & switch and the person responsible for the crisis is actually Sue, but so far it seems that Larsen was the bad guy.

BTW, this was the 'boss fight' here. I kind of like that - it's nice to break the RPG convention like that and NOT make the player face a big bad enemy at the climax of the quest. However, the fights in Ag Center are overall too repetitive and not very interesting, so there's a certain lack of satisfaction combat-wise here, and the lack of boss does not help matters in this regard.

wl2b_up12_060.jpg

codex.jpg
Things are finally looking up.

wl2b_up12_061.jpg

wl2b_up12_062.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Assuming, it's not a voice machine designed to mock us, I wonder what ranks we have now. I've lost track a couple transmission ago.

codex.jpg
I'd hold on with any assumptions until we get all those promotions in writing, I still suspect it's booze and mushrooms talking.

wl2b_up12_063.jpg

Some harmless perception XP farming. ;)

wl2b_up12_064.jpg

Moving on, we encounter the so far largest number of pod people at once.

wl2b_up12_065.jpg

Five of them.

wl2b_up12_066.jpg

Also, this.

wl2b_up12_067.jpg

azira.jpg
There's no end to this!

storyfaq.jpg
Well, you know, manually swatting every fly is not exactly the most efficient way to fight them.

wl2b_up12_068.jpg

codex.jpg
Story is right, we need to hope that Dr. Lawson's cure will deal with these creatures.

wl2b_up12_069.jpg

Lootfest!

Nothing interesting was found. :negative:

wl2b_up12_070.jpg

As for this room, I have encountered a funny bug when trying to enter it. Check it out:

wl2b_up12_071.jpg

And we're done with the fields, time to report to Kathy Lawson.

wl2b_up12_072.jpg

codex.jpg
How could we have missed this lab before?

storyfaq.jpg
Maybe you should ask Ms. Perception about that?

wl2b_up12_073.jpg

codex.jpg
We already have it.

wl2b_up12_074.jpg

erebus.jpg
Sure thing, pretty lady.

wl2b_up12_075.jpg

wl2b_up12_076.jpg

wl2b_up12_077.jpg

wl2b_up12_078.jpg

wl2b_up12_079.jpg

wl2b_up12_080.jpg

wl2b_up12_081.jpg

wl2b_up12_082.jpg

wl2b_up12_083.jpg

codex.jpg
Yeah, sure, why not.

wl2b_up12_084.jpg

wl2b_up12_085.jpg

wl2b_up12_086.jpg

wl2b_up12_087.jpg

wl2b_up12_088.jpg

wl2b_up12_089.jpg

wl2b_up12_090.jpg

wl2b_up12_091.jpg

wl2b_up12_092.jpg

codex.jpg
Alright. See you later, then.

wl2b_up12_093.jpg

Rose is a bit like Hellboy.

wl2b_up12_094.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
'Children'?

azira.jpg
She's probably ancient, moreso even than Angela.

wl2b_up12_095.jpg

azira.jpg
Didn't we agree not to rat Sue out?

wl2b_up12_096.jpg

wl2b_up12_097.jpg

codex.jpg
I'd have to break my word to do that, so I guess he will get away with it this time, even if the pesky kids discovered what he's done.

wl2b_up12_098.jpg

wl2b_up12_099.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Indeed it is.

wl2b_up12_100.jpg

wl2b_up12_101.jpg

wl2b_up12_102.jpg

wl2b_up12_103.jpg

wl2b_up12_104.jpg

wl2b_up12_105.jpg

wl2b_up12_106.jpg

wl2b_up12_107.jpg

Apparently asking Rose about the airlock code is better done at the end, because it breaks the conversation. Oh well.

wl2b_up12_108.jpg

wl2b_up12_109.jpg

wl2b_up12_110.jpg

codex.jpg
Sure, it will be nice to have someone who StoryFAQ won't feel superior to. I'm sure you'll have tons of mutual interests.

codex.jpg
I won't be babysitting an old woman, you can forget about that.

codex.jpg
Fine, Erebus will do that.

azira.jpg
What? But...

codex.jpg
Erebus, you talk care of Rose. And if she says something you don't understand, just reply 'That makes sense.'

erebus.jpg
That makes sense. Awkay.

wl2b_up12_111.jpg

wl2b_up12_112.jpg

Airlock codex, I guess?

wl2b_up12_113.jpg

This is the first decent handgun we've seen so far. Except that one .45 (or was it .44?) to which there is absolutely no ammo anywhere.

wl2b_up12_114.jpg

codex.jpg
I wouldn't worry about that. Azira?

wl2b_up12_115.jpg

azira.jpg
Ow, DAMMIT!

wl2b_up12_116.jpg

Azira manages to open the trapped safe on her second try. Inside we find:

Nothing interesting.

wl2b_up12_117.jpg

We got this serum from Kathy. I've tried using it on one of the Rangers, but there was no immediate effect that I've noticed.

wl2b_up12_118.jpg

codex.jpg
Sure hope that too.

wl2b_up12_119.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
One moment... There.

wl2b_up12_120.jpg

erebus.jpg
That makes sense.

Rose apparently was meant to be met at the beginning of this quest (*sigh*).

wl2b_up12_121.jpg

wl2b_up12_122.jpg

wl2b_up12_123.jpg

wl2b_up12_124.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
What the...?

wl2b_up12_126.jpg

azira.jpg
That does make some sense...

wl2b_up12_127.jpg

codex.jpg
Woodson must be high on mushrooms too.

wl2b_up12_128.jpg

wl2b_up12_129.jpg

codex.jpg
Will do.

wl2b_up12_130.jpg

wl2b_up12_131.jpg

To finish up things here (kind of, we'll ignore all the vine-trapped scientists, for example) we still need to apply the serum to the reservoirs.

wl2b_up12_132.jpg

erebus.jpg
That makes sense.

wl2b_up12_133.jpg

codex.jpg
Gee, thanks. I could also use a couple hints on those shoelace thingies. They are very tricky to operate.

wl2b_up12_134.jpg

erebus.jpg
That makes sense.

wl2b_up12_135.jpg

wl2b_up12_136.jpg

This all but concludes this LP, of the very very very very early beta of Wasteland 2. There will be one more update (Monday/Tuesday), in which I will post a short summary of my experience with this Early Access game and my expectations towards the final version.

----------

Next time: As above - the summary, and some bonus footage. Stay tuned!

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #13: Summary & Bonus

NOTE: All impressions are based on the initial build released to the backers, with only the first hotfix update installed. Therefore, some of the comments written below may not apply any more.

So, what is the conclusion of Early Accessing Wasteland 2? Did the incline finally arrive? Did our messiah rise from the grave to feed us all bread and fish?

Well, no.

Not yet, anyway.

Not because this is a bad game. It's not. But it's not good either. Actually, it's not a game at all.

Not yet, anyway.

I have only played a few beta versions in my life, but this is one by far the least finished. I don't think the build released in December even deserves to be called a beta. It's really more of (a demo of) an alpha. Some features are still missing, others are incomplete or just placeholders. Also, the game just 'feels' unfinished, including the very laggy interface. I was especially disappointed by repetitive and simplistic combat and the (placeholder) generic loot system. I also don't like the blurriness of the graphics, and hope that it is an effect of some kind of filter that we will be able to disable in the options in the final version. Please?

Combat could really use some or all of the following:
- aimed shots, or if they are not possible to implement at this point - special attacks (e.g. lower damage attack that has a high chance of inflicting a particular status effect, like 'broken leg', on the enemy)
- different types of attacks in melee (faster, standard, stronger, armour piercing, etc.)
- blocking enemies in melee and/or attacks of opportunity
- perks (e.g.: Combat Medic - your first use of field medic that turn costs 1 AP less)
- stances (these are supposedly being implemented?)
Having said, that, I see a huge potential in this game. The idea of creating a team of Desert Rangers, each with strengths in different fields, and then utilizing their skills through various interactions in the game world is just great. If anything, I'd love to see even more of that. I know it worked similarly in Wasteland 1 (which I barely played, but read Admiral Jimbob's LP here on RPG Codex), and I'm glad that this system is so heavily in use in the game, even if it has its flaws.

Flaws of the system:
Someone with Strength = 10 but no Brute Force skill won't be able to knock down a wall, however his friend with Strength = 1 and Brute Force = 1 will succeed eventually - W.T.F.
I think some skills should be automatically acquired by all characters on some basic level (because it's really not that hard to figure out how to pull a trigger on a gun, for example), and only developing them should need skill points.
But what do I know.
The other thing I really like is the writing. Dialogues are witty and occasionally funny, characters are interesting, story (so far) is intriguing. There is a huge number of references everywhere and their abundance works really well with the cheesiness of the setting, and is a really nice throwback to the old Fallouts, which where similarly spiked with such things.

Overall, I am cautiously optimistic. Even if this does not turn out to be a true new RPG classic (which is still possible), it is definitely a step in the right direction. I quite enjoyed hours spent in playing the Early Access version and am pretty confident I will enjoy the final game even more. Just how much, we will see.

Final Score:
Gameplay: Almost as good as Fallout's.

Combat: Almost as good as Fallout's.

Dialogues: Almost as good as Fallout's.

Graphics: Almost as good as Fallout's. :troll:

Music: Actually better than Fallout's. :incline:

Overall: Not quite as good as Fallout, but we'll see.

----------

And here's the bonus footage of Codex Desert Rangers trying to take on Slicer Dicers (from Robots! encounter). 70 minutes of boredom, because I wasn't able to record a commentary and had to limit myself to occasional subtitles (not that commentary would help much).

Have fun. :troll:

In case someone does not want to watch this shit to see who wins in the end, here's the result:

We win, but it requires Azira to dump all her skill points into medical skills to keep the team more or less alive. Also, Angela does not survive. Obviously, I had to abuse the bugs (using Surgeon in combat does not cost AP) and general 'unpolishness' of the game (body armour gives 10 DR and makes characters nigh-invulnerable), as well as my patience.

Last edited:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Thanks for impressions battlebro. :salute:

The game looks as expected - nothing groundbreaking at this point. Makes me wonder if they'll finish it in time.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Still content with having backed it. Even more so that I backed at the minimum level required to get the game upon completion. I'd rather not spoil it by playing the beta, but I appreciate the LP. :salute:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
One more note regarding my impressions. I fired up the updated version on Steam over the weekend and the overall 'feel' of the game has improved greatly. Just eliminating the awful mouse lag was a huge step in the right direction (but why was it there in the first place?).
That only confirms that the game has the potential to be much better when it is finished, but still needs a lot of work in many areas. I am looking forward to the day when it reaches that magical 1.0 version (or maybe 1.1 or 1.2 - I still remember Fallout 2).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just eliminating the awful mouse lag was a huge step in the right direction (but why was it there in the first place?).
That's probably because the Unity Engine is... what's the exact opposite of optimized?

The mouse lag wasn't a performance issue. It's some default setting that they didn't bother to change until Sensuki bugged them about it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks for the impressions, MS! I stopped following the LP at some point because spoilers, duh, but anyway I hope they manage to fix most of the stuff that's currently placeholder or too simplistic.

- aimed shots, or if they are not possible to implement at this point - special attacks (e.g. lower damage attack that has a high chance of inflicting a particular status effect, like 'broken leg', on the enemy)
- different types of attacks in melee (faster, standard, stronger, armour piercing, etc.)
- perks (e.g.: Combat Medic - your first use of field medic that turn costs 1 AP less)

Are they? Brother None ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for the impressions, MS! I stopped following the LP at some point because spoilers, duh, but anyway I hope they manage to fix most of the stuff that's currently placeholder or too simplistic.

Are they? Brother None ?

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...kickstarter-update-41-upcoming-updates.89005/

we will likely add a crouching stance with a variety of tactical applications

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Are they? Brother None ?
Numerous of those things are things that are going to happen or may happen depending on how they test. We already announced crouching is in, as Infy points out.

btw MicoSelva, you gonna give it another quick run once the next update is out? Would be curious to hear your impressions, since you're jumping right from the very first version we brought out into a version after ~2 months of devtime.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Brother None, I'm planning on periodically checking on improvements, but I won't be doing any more LP updates (as in episodes), just an update of impressions and striking out my issue list as the game gets better.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
So, there is a new patch for the beta, introducing brand new colorful pictures based inventory:

wl2b_up13_000.jpg

Separate inventory screen is gone, and we now have a Fallout-style popup window, but with a grid instead of a list, and with the option of showing all items at once, regardless of who's carrying it.

That last option makes this inventory actually usable, because otherwise you have to click which character's inventory you want to view (little portrait next to inventory) and then separately click which character's character screen + equipment you want to view (little portrait next to character screen on the left).

No other RPG I remember lets you view inventory of party member X and active equipment of party member Y at the same time and forces you to click twice to view both of these for one character. Innovative. Confusing and annoying, but innovative.

Here are the other three subscreens of character sheet:

wl2b_up13_001.jpg

wl2b_up13_002.jpg

wl2b_up13_003.jpg

Obviously all that info could have been fitted (fit?) on one screen (which I would prefer), but it is perfectly usable as it is. There is only so much complaining about the UI I can stomach, even if I am the one complaining, so let's leave it at that.

wl2b_up13_004.jpg

The graphics seem to be sharper now, which is massive :incline: in my book (could also be my wishful thinking, I guess) and there's a new (?) setting for color saturation in the options menu, so you can make your wasteland as radiant or as washed-out as you want.

Overall, the update seems to be a step in the right direction. I did not have time to check the supposed improvements to combat system and other stuff, and I am not sure I would have bothered - endlessly replaying the initial hours is a surefire way to burn myself out on the game, and I really want to stay excited for it when the final version arrives.

Ok, maybe I will play a bit over the weekend, if only to check how the new random encounter engine works (REs are supposed to more frequent now). If so, I will post here afterward.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Looking good, brofists to Mistah Fargo & Co for listening to proper player input. In an ideal world they would also listen to the kwabillion of voices that want JA2 combat and make the game truly perfect.

By the way, I probably asked it before but I forgot the answer: can the circles around the characters be disabled somehow? I always find them intrusive, so my first instinct is always to reduce such settings to the bare minimum. Playing with that crap is a real pain. Take good old Planetcapes: Tournaments for example: such beautiful graphics, only to be ruined by green, red and purple blobs of doom. Good thing the game is all bro and you can turn that stuff off. Phew! Major thumbs up!

Still makes me upset though when people are WRONG on my Internet and post PST screenshots with full character feedback and markers on.

WHY do they do that?

"Hi guize, awesome graphics or what?" *circle* *arrow* *circle* *circle*

:negative:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Not right now I believe but the options menu is pretty small right now. It'll be much longer at release, and may well include options like those.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom