Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Beta-Test Wasteland 2

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
i hope that you made a precombat save
Trust me, I am making a lot of save games. It's alpha beta. Doing anything else would be asking for trouble.
where the hell is update!!!!
Hopefully, it will be here tomorrow. And by tomorrow, I mean in around 24 hours from now.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Previously on Let's Beta test Wasteland 2:

wl2b_up01_034.jpg

I just can't get over this looking like it's just Grunker trolling us.

Update #2: Undergunned and Unprepared

wl2b_up02_000.jpg

codex.jpg
Rangers, defend these people!

storyfaq.jpg
I'm not sure we can defend ourselves, not to mention other people.

codex.jpg
Do it or die trying!

wl2b_up02_001.jpg

Azira's combination of stats (mostly high Awareness) give her superior combat initative not only to her fellow rangers, but also to all the enemies.

wl2b_up02_002.jpg

azira.jpg
Fuck!

Unfortunately, she misses.

wl2b_up02_003.jpg

I made her take cover behind a former car, which proved to be more than a little stupid, as enemies on the left side all sport melee weapons anyway.

BTW, in this shot You can see that inXile took the 'Fallout spiritual successor' description seriously. It even looks almost like the original Fallout.

Almost as good, I mean. :troll:

wl2b_up02_004.jpg

On their turn, enemies only move. No attacks are made.

wl2b_up02_005.jpg

Angela Deth shoots three times, hitting every time and doing a total of... zero damage? WTF? Just how thick a skin does this Rail Thief have*?

Her attack triggers reaction fire from enemies. They must have gone into overwatch or something like that. Fortunately, none of them hits and one even accidentally hurts a fellow raider for 15 damage.

* apparently five points of damage thick

wl2b_up02_006.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Eat lead, scum!

wl2b_up02_007.jpg

StoryFAQ hits twice, each shot dealing 1 damage...

wl2b_up02_009.jpg

erebus.jpg
Bleed like a little piggy!

Erebus makes our most devastating attack so far, bringing the rail thief down to 4 HP.

wl2b_up02_010.jpg

Commander Codex moves to finish him off, but he does not have enough AP to attack after closing in.

wl2b_up02_011.jpg

No idea why I've decided to attack a different enemy this time.

wl2b_up02_012.jpg

azira.jpg
These guys are almost bulletproof!

wl2b_up02_013.jpg

codex.jpg
Fuck, my shoulder!

wl2b_up02_015.jpg

Angela takes a crit to the face for 16 damage and then a regular hit for 8.

The floating numbers show both current and total damage (for this turn). It was a bit confusing at first, but is actually very useful for quick reference, after some getting used to.

What I would like is some visual clue as to who is being hit, because in combat clutter it is sometimes less than obvious, and characters don't look distinct enough to tell them apart at a glance.

wl2b_up02_016.jpg

erebus.jpg
Pain won't scare me!

wl2b_up02_017.jpg

erebus.jpg
Ok, maybe a little scare.

wl2b_up02_019.jpg

Mommy Angela is getting sliced and diced and drops to the ground.

Also, check the lower right corner of the screen for some clasy Infinitron trolling. This guy is everywhere. It's like he is stalking me or something. Sometimes I am afraid he will jump out of the fridge when I open it...

wl2b_up02_021.jpg

codex.jpg
Nooooooo! AZIRA!

A minor bug, btw. Combat log is referring to Angela Deth as 'him'.

Or maybe we just don't know something. :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

wl2b_up02_022.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Feels like I'd get more results flinging pebbles at them.

wl2b_up02_024.jpg

erebus.jpg
DIE!

Erebus finally finishes off the most wounded rail thief. It does not mean much, though, as half of his damage was a misfire by a fellow raider.

wl2b_up02_025.jpg

erebus.jpg
Stop moving!

wl2b_up02_026.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Urk.

StoryFAQ gets pounded and falls, mortally wounded.

wl2b_up02_029.jpg

erebus.jpg
So much blood is falling out of me...

wl2b_up02_031.jpg

codex.jpg
Keep fighting! As long as we're alive, there's hope!

wl2b_up02_033.jpg

erebus.jpg
I keep fighting!

wl2b_up02_036.jpg

erebus.jpg
Commander? COMMANDER!

wl2b_up02_038.jpg

erebus.jpg
Ouch.

wl2b_up02_039.jpg

Well, that was a less than ideal start to our adventure.

TPKs: 1

Load game.

wl2b_up02_040.jpg

codex.jpg
We probably should not delve too deep into the irradiated territory. These suits are in a pretty bad shape, and we don't know what waits out there. Let's just edge along.

storyfaq.jpg
Seems reasonable.

wl2b_up02_041.jpg

azira.jpg
Hostiles up ahead. Do we want to engage them?

codex.jpg
Well, we are Desert Rangers.

erebus.jpg
I don't get it.

storyfaq.jpg
That meant 'yes'.

wl2b_up02_042.jpg

codex.jpg
Watch out, it's the Red Scorpion Militia we were warned about!

azira.jpg
We are surrounded!

storyfaq.jpg
Thanks, commander Obvious and private Ivegoteyestoo.

wl2b_up02_043.jpg

azira.jpg
Goddamnit!

storyfaq.jpg
What was that I heard before, about you being skilled in using a shotgun?

wl2b_up02_044.jpg

Mommy Angela has 100% hit chance against every enemy in sight because she's awesome like that.

wl2b_up02_045.jpg

And the first RSM is down.

codex.jpg
Good job!

wl2b_up02_046.jpg

Angela and her 34 HP move in front of cuddly puppies, hoping they will try to take a bite of her, instead of 16 HP Azira.

wl2b_up02_048.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
This is how you shoot, Azira. Take notes!

StoryFAQ's aim is impeccable, but his peashooter of gun deals only 3-4 damage. Even a starter knife has a damage range of 3-6 (plus bonus strength damage, +1 per strength point). Even putting simulationism aside, something is clearly wrong here.

wl2b_up02_049.jpg

Commander Codex bravely hides behind a truck, as he's not able to reach any enemy this turn and also not in the mood for a multiple turn charge into melee.

wl2b_up02_050.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Ow! Bad dog!

azira.jpg
Let's hope he's not rabid.

wl2b_up02_051.jpg

azira.jpg
GAH! My leg!

storyfaq.jpg
Let's hope this one is.

Azira gets a leg wound, which lowers her speed, evasion and carrying capacity. :decline:

wl2b_up02_053.jpg

azira.jpg
Down, boy!

wl2b_up02_054.jpg

codex.jpg
Well, your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

erebus.jpg
You tell him, commander!

wl2b_up02_055.jpg

codex.jpg
Goddamn, too close!

wl2b_up02_057.jpg

Angela slays another cuddly puppy. Having her on the team is almost like cheating. Almost.

codex.jpg
Good going!

wl2b_up02_058.jpg

And takes cover.

wl2b_up02_059.jpg

codex.jpg
FUCK!

wl2b_up02_060.jpg

erebus.jpg
No worry, commander, I kill him for you!

Erebus and his 6 AP won't reach any enemy this turn.

wl2b_up02_062.jpg

StoryFAQ hits, misses and stays in cover.

wl2b_up02_064.jpg

azira.jpg
Oh, come on!

wl2b_up02_066.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
That woman scares me.

wl2b_up02_067.jpg

Angela moves into cover.

wl2b_up02_069.jpg

Codex uses some pain relievers on himself.

wl2b_up02_070.jpg

Azira closes in on the next enemy.

wl2b_up02_071.jpg

And gets his attention.

wl2b_up02_072.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Damn, I can't get a clean shot!

wl2b_up02_073.jpg

Enemy's cover does not look like much, but it gives him good enough protection even for Angela to miss her shot.

wl2b_up02_074.jpg

erebus.jpg
I kill you for that!

Erebus is hit by other remaining RSM (for 16 damage nonetheless) and starts moving in his direction.

wl2b_up02_075.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Fuck this, should I even bother?

StoryFAQ hits for another 3 HP. This revolver really sucks.

wl2b_up02_077.jpg

Angela fires a short burst at point blank, but it is not enough to down the enemy (somehow).

wl2b_up02_078.jpg

azira.jpg
Let me help you with this guy, Erebus.

erebus.jpg
Awkay.

wl2b_up02_079.jpg

Square grid sometimes makes it hard to assess if someone is in cover or not. New XCOM has the same problem.
Here I was just hoping for the best with Erebus.

wl2b_up02_080.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
He's running away!

codex.jpg
Don't worry, I'll intercept.

wl2b_up02_081.jpg

codex.jpg
Never mind that.

wl2b_up02_082.jpg

Looks like the cover works.

wl2b_up02_083.jpg

Erebus is too slow to reach the enemy, not to even mention reaching him and still being able to attack this turn.

wl2b_up02_085.jpg

azira.jpg
Come on now...

wl2b_up02_086.jpg

azira.jpg
Yes!

wl2b_up02_088.jpg

Angela moves forward.

wl2b_up02_089.jpg

azira.jpg
Oh, thank God!

wl2b_up02_091.jpg

azira.jpg
Eat shit!

wl2b_up02_092.jpg

Victory!

codex.jpg
Good job, people!

storyfaq.jpg
We're actually all alive. Who would have guessed.

azira.jpg
I need a cigarette...

wl2b_up02_093.jpg

codex.jpg
Search their corpses. Take all weapons you can find. Scratch that, just pick up everything.

wl2b_up02_094.jpg

StoryFAQ's surgeon ability is not able to cure this affliction, so Azira will keep limping for now.

wl2b_up02_095.jpg

azira.jpg
Well, they were pretty heavily armed.

wl2b_up02_096.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
But it seems they used up all their ammo against us.

codex.jpg
What? Impossible.

storyfaq.jpg
Actually, possible, just very, very, very unlikely.

azira.jpg
All they had was these weird bullets branded 'test ammo' which do not fit any of their guns. Or ours, for that matter.

erebus.jpg
They have clubs too.

storyfaq.jpg
Erebus has a point. We got two maces and an axe. At least you won't have to run around with a knife any more.

codex.jpg
An axe. Just fucking great.

wl2b_up02_097.jpg

Since ammo seems to be a major issue in the wasteland, we should probably switch to weapons doing the most damage per hit. Like this 'Old Army" OA-16.

wl2b_up02_098.jpg

The handaxe is indeed an upgrade over the knife, even if a swing costs 4 AP instead of 3. Not that this is mentioned on the weapon's stat sheet (it should be).

wl2b_up02_099.jpg

This is a slightly weaker version of Angela Deth's starting rifle. At least it seems to be worth quite a bit.

BTW, the symbol for money in this is $, but it's not dollars, coins or even bottle caps, but 'scrap'.

wl2b_up02_100.jpg

The mace deals good damage and it will replace Erebus' knife as a weapon of choice. Although it is not that much of an upgrade, as his strength of 10 means he deals 13-16 damage per knife hit (3 AP, so up to two attacks per round) and 25-26 per mace hit (4 AP; 1 attack). Seeing as even regular rail thieves seem to have iron skin in this game, I'll take as much damage per hit as I can.

wl2b_up02_101.jpg

Heh.

wl2b_up02_102.jpg

Crafting material, I presume?

wl2b_up02_103.jpg

azira.jpg
I see something.

wl2b_up02_104.jpg

azira.jpg
Hey, it's another gun!

codex.jpg
Does it come with ammo?

azira.jpg
Nope, sorry.

codex.jpg
Why did I even ask.

----------

Next time: That depends. Do You guys want detailed (but more time-consuming) encounter descriptions, such as in this update, or should I just post bullet points (bullet points, get it?) and move on with the content?

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Detailed encounter descriptions are good but you can quickly burn out on writing them. Perhaps you could just focus on the more critical moments of each encounter.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I'm not playing the beta so I'm probably way of the mark, but just looking at the combat screenshots gives me distinct Shadowrun: Returns vibes. I mean even the icons for burst mode etc. recall it. Hmmph.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Those bullet proof enemies are a pain, some die with one shot, some always take 1 damage from any attack...

The good news is that you can wear armor and be bullet-proof as well.

The even better news is that hopefully they'll fix this.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Great updates, and entertaining, as always. Now I've found another game for my wish list (looks like 2014 is priming to be a expensive year for my gaming habit).

BTW, the symbol for money in this is $, but it's not dollars, coins or even bottle caps, but 'scrap'.

Maybe they should use scrip instead? It would fit in with the lack of centralized government. Scrap fits in with the scavenger-world theme, but doesn't make sense as a unit of currency. Splitting hairs, I know...

Tigranes

Arcane
I prefer combat updates because I'm playing the beta myself and don't need the dialogue dumps. But either way, good stuff.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I'm having some trouble with my new corporate firewall, as described here. I'm looking for ways to resolve them at the moment.

EDIT: testing:

Do You guys see this?

wl2b_up03_098_zps3b8882d2.jpg

Or this?

wl2b_up03_098_zps3b8882d2.jpg

Last edited:

Oesophagus

Arcane
Oh god I really needed this properly written dialogue fix.

I have noticed in streams that AC/DT or whatever seems to be way too high on some armours. Once saw a guy having a shootout with noone doing any damage to anyone, despite hitting

StoryFAQ's surgeon ability is not able to cure this affinity, so Azira will keep limping for now.

Uh... you mean affliction? ;)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
imgur is blocked.

I'm going through a list of different image/file hosting services but so far none of them work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom