Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read Let us read something... Supreme

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
RGFCV.jpg

C31Oe.jpg

EeBIB.jpg

85NG1.jpg

bMJLY.jpg

TjP8p.jpg

WvFMP.jpg

FKfEx.jpg

UStzO.jpg

LToLn.jpg

wgEVE.jpg

ZJaio.jpg

oHfDT.jpg

CdI9L.jpg

I4Sd7.jpg

wGFu6.jpg

p5RLA.jpg

5cujP.jpg

VA55d.jpg

8RtqL.jpg

OoPjG.jpg

KBtRx.jpg

9YgUT.jpg

wOmSr.jpg

5wiWq.jpg

Jf9Ls.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Moar! The dissenters just haven't read golden or silver age comics.
Neither have I, and I liked it. I imagine one's attitude going into it is important, though.

Edit: Well, this is an awkward place to end up.
It is. Time for some backstory behind this series:

During the Dark Age, in the wake of Youngblood, Rob Liefeld made a shitty, derivative Superman type character named Supreme, meaning he had the powers but was violent, psychotic and could only communicate in grimaces. When Liefeld founded Maximum Press, he managed to get Alan Moore to write Supreme. Moore had one special condition on his tenure (which would last until the final issue of Supreme ever): He could do whatever the fuck he wanted, with complete disregard to prior continuity, and no one could bitch about what he was gonna do because he'd have total creative control over the series. Liefeld agreed.

So then Moore rounded up Rick Veitch as the only regular artist (until he got a then young newcomer by the name of Chris Sprouse as the regular modern day page artist), and revamped Supreme as a farewell love letter to the superhero comics he grew up reading: Superman, the Silver Age, and the classic DCU. And a formal apology for causing the Dark Age, as he insisted he did.

Basically, Alan Moore loves superheroes, and skillfully murdered them in the 80's with Miracleman and Watchmen. And then continued to write about them. So the real question is: Is it necrophilia?

And in case you were wondering, the sharp contrast in the quality of the present day art and flashback art was a calculated move by Moore. Until Sprouse, he often got crappy, inconsistent Liefeld-era artists precisely to hammer home the point that 90's art looked like ass.

EDIT: And as you can probably guess, Billy Friday is part Jimmy Olsen, part self-parody of Alan Moore himself.

Teepo

Scholar
I thought you were going to post Squadron Supreme.

Which is more supreme. Just about how Russia is more supreme then Finnland YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This one does push it a bit on the self-referential front. Very much so targeted almost exclusively to comic book aficionados, and thus hard to get into for the rest of us. It doesn't help when it includes "art" like http://i.imgur.com/ULNr1.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

This one does push it a bit on the self-referential front. Very much so targeted almost exclusively to comic book aficionados, and thus hard to get into for the rest of us. It doesn't help when it includes "art" like http://i.imgur.com/ULNr1.jpg
Like I said, that's intentional on Moore's part, to create a contrast to the better art of ye olde comics mimicked by Rick Veitch.

Vaarna_Aarne

I have a dream, that one day Playground threads will have ten posts per page once more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom