Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let the DRM rape continue! New SimCity

Brinko

Arcane
bRkUGb0.jpg

Severian Silk

You guys don't appreciate the hard work Maxis put into this game! And they're working for free to try to fix some of the problems in the game. I mean, we should really be paying them to do this since it involves extra work.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...imCity-Is-Broken-And-Its-Not-Just-the-Servers

So much has been made of the problematic launch SimCity has enjoyed over the last two weeks. "This is what you get when you make us all connect online." "It's always-on DRM disguised as a multiplayer!" "EA is evil incarnate!" Features were turned off, and server admins and programmers worked like crazy people - I imagine there was some 5 Hour Energy involved - to add more shards and get the SimCity that people paid good money for up to a playable state. It is playable now, for the most part, but I don't want to talk about broken servers anymore. I honestly don't care about the always-connected restriction at all. If multiplayer is what Maxis wanted to focus on, that's fine with me. I also don't want to pass judgment with an official review until SimCity plays exactly how Maxis envisioned, but I feel like I need to get something off my chest:
SimCity is a terribly designed game.

... <explains all the various ways in which the game sucks over two pages> ...

Keep in mind: this is not an official review, but just my views on the game right now. Once the network issues are fully resolved, and features like the fast mode of play - stupidly called "cheetah mode." What, fast, medium and slow was too complex? - and leaderboards are re-implemented, we'll let you know The Escapist's official opinion. Perhaps I'll even include some video of all the human bus caterpillars I was talking about earlier, just to be nice.
Until then, be wary of SimCity.

This kind of "wait review until they fix" attittude is not much explored with low budget games. Would be cool if they changed the review every time a dev brings a new patch. Love these double standards.

Angthoron

Arcane
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...imCity-Is-Broken-And-Its-Not-Just-the-Servers

So much has been made of the problematic launch SimCity has enjoyed over the last two weeks. "This is what you get when you make us all connect online." "It's always-on DRM disguised as a multiplayer!" "EA is evil incarnate!" Features were turned off, and server admins and programmers worked like crazy people - I imagine there was some 5 Hour Energy involved - to add more shards and get the SimCity that people paid good money for up to a playable state. It is playable now, for the most part, but I don't want to talk about broken servers anymore. I honestly don't care about the always-connected restriction at all. If multiplayer is what Maxis wanted to focus on, that's fine with me. I also don't want to pass judgment with an official review until SimCity plays exactly how Maxis envisioned, but I feel like I need to get something off my chest:
SimCity is a terribly designed game.

... <explains all the various ways in which the game sucks over two pages> ...

Keep in mind: this is not an official review, but just my views on the game right now. Once the network issues are fully resolved, and features like the fast mode of play - stupidly called "cheetah mode." What, fast, medium and slow was too complex? - and leaderboards are re-implemented, we'll let you know The Escapist's official opinion. Perhaps I'll even include some video of all the human bus caterpillars I was talking about earlier, just to be nice.
Until then, be wary of SimCity.

This kind of "wait review until they fix" attittude is not much explored with low budget games. Would be cool if they changed the review every time a dev brings a new patch. Love these double standards.
They should review MMOs like that too.

"3.3 nerfed the nazgul whore class I was playing, fuck this game, 3/10"
"3.6 nazgul whore class completely reworked, I rock in PvP now, 10/10, game of the month"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"I can't overstate how completely evil complexity is, especially in a sandbox game," he said. "Constantly ask yourself: What can I remove from the game?"

Another defining quote from EA.

:flamesaw:

Turjan

Arcane
I just wanted to quote that sentence. When I read that, I at first couldn't believe that the quote was real. It just sounds like a Monty Python sketch. But then I realized that reality has caught up. Urrgh...

Really. I have read many moronic statements from developers, but this one takes the cake.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What about this?
"We just didn't realize the ridiculous scope of the game we were trying to make,"

:retarded:

Somehow the previous Sim City games were made. Ridiculous. HOW DID THEY DO IT??!

Turjan

Arcane
What about this?
"We just didn't realize the ridiculous scope of the game we were trying to make,"

:retarded:

Somehow the previous Sim City games were made. Ridiculous. HOW DID THEY DO IT??!

Well, now you know the reason why they dropped the number from the game name. They wanted to indicate that nobody on the team has ever seen one of the predecessors.

Kirtai

Augur
"I can't overstate how completely evil complexity is, especially in a sandbox game," he said. "Constantly ask yourself: What can I remove from the game?"

Another defining quote from EA.
Seems they didn't read anything past the comma in "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler"

hiver

his panel got off to a rocky start, as he opened his presentation and his screen failed to begin loading his presentation slides.
The audience of over 100 laughed nervously as an error message popped up on the screen stating that the presentation could not connect to the servers.

its destiny.

Initial prototypes featured super-modular buildings (which the SimCity team calls "toys") and a level of complexity that, in the end, proved to be not only unnecessary, but also un-fun.
:lol:

Eventually the team settled on a 2 kilometer by 2 kilometer city size, and buildings that would be modular and simple enough to make building a city fun without being confusing. Upgrades were streamlined and designed to only add functionality without necessarily adding complexity.
:lol:

"[It was a] good tradeoff between performance ... without sacrificing the simulation integrity," he said.

JeA0Kyl.jpg

man this is so great.

LeJosh

Savant
Fuck everything.

I've never heard such dumbfuckery spewed from any developer, not even Todd "awsum" Howard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom