Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let the DRM rape continue! New SimCity

Dexter

Arcane
136363188349024ktj.jpg

1363633755015m6jcn.jpg

1363634505079goj6b.jpg

1363639549596e9jg5.jpg

1363654410152vzlad.jpg

1363655840518a9qxw.jpg

1363655416175fty64.jpg

13636346978524qkye.jpg

i don't get why these retards don't get it.
of course they're not obliged to make an offline game, but tell me why i'm obliged not to say that ea is a shit company which robs customers, cheats, insults and shitcity is a retarded game for retarded people who can't recognize quality if it anally raped them as ea did with simcity franchise since societies whom this one is a direct devolution.
these are not opinions, are facts, countable, numerable, indexable facts.

Dexter

Arcane
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...imCity-Is-Broken-And-Its-Not-Just-the-Servers

So much has been made of the problematic launch SimCity has enjoyed over the last two weeks. "This is what you get when you make us all connect online." "It's always-on DRM disguised as a multiplayer!" "EA is evil incarnate!" Features were turned off, and server admins and programmers worked like crazy people - I imagine there was some 5 Hour Energy involved - to add more shards and get the SimCity that people paid good money for up to a playable state. It is playable now, for the most part, but I don't want to talk about broken servers anymore. I honestly don't care about the always-connected restriction at all. If multiplayer is what Maxis wanted to focus on, that's fine with me. I also don't want to pass judgment with an official review until SimCity plays exactly how Maxis envisioned, but I feel like I need to get something off my chest:
SimCity is a terribly designed game.

... <explains all the various ways in which the game sucks over two pages> ...

Keep in mind: this is not an official review, but just my views on the game right now. Once the network issues are fully resolved, and features like the fast mode of play - stupidly called "cheetah mode." What, fast, medium and slow was too complex? - and leaderboards are re-implemented, we'll let you know The Escapist's official opinion. Perhaps I'll even include some video of all the human bus caterpillars I was talking about earlier, just to be nice.
Until then, be wary of SimCity.

More vids from around the Intertubes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgvhKPXzYcs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_ufAd79bOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IECDGp_lHTU

Monocause

Arcane
Yeah, that water house is awesome.

also,

:head roll:

What a fail. Take away all the free games they are giving, all the requests for refunds, falling profits, missing quarter goals and future damages... they wont even have for a chewing gums.

They really should take a different PR direction. What they're doing now is really astoundingly selfdefeating; just a fucking acknowledgment of the server issues coupled with an optimistic paragraph about the SC team being hard at work on providing the best possible experience would make it look much better. As it is now everyone knows that the launch was a fiasco in multiple ways and yet the only thing they mention is "deploying fixes" which is the worst kind of corporate PR you get.

It's like one of these natural resources companies which refuse to acknowledge that they irreversibly damaged an ecosystem in spite of the fact that the world media were talking about it for weeks. There's not much worse you can do than giving a "business as usual" brief in such cases. The main difference is that natural resources corps were (and in many cases still are) both politically and economically in a position in which they could get away with such arrogance while EA is a corp which reputation is much more directly tied to market performance.

We may whine how stupid folks still buy these games, but it's really noticeable how tarnished their reputation is. Just google EA or do a youtube search, there's hundreds upon hundreds of blog posts, forum posts, videos bashing their policies. Word gets around and slowly but surely it makes its mark and alienating your own consumer base is not a way for a business to operate in the long-term. Right now the shareholders might feel reassured, but as the sales drop that sort of PR just won't cut it anymore, and when the shit hits the fan it'll be too late to flip-flop and acknowledge past mistakes and misdeeds. The brand will be finished and there'll be no-one to talk to anymore.

Stabwound

Arcane
Wow, I wish you could play this game without buying it. It looks like quite the comedic game judging by these videos and reviews.

Micmu

Magister
I was too busy laughing at "AI" to notice the goddamn textures.
This is absolutely retarded. More entertaining than Big Rigs and Dung Lords together.
Who the fuck "plays" this shit? It's unplayable.

hiver

Yeah, that water house is awesome.

also,

:head roll:

What a fail. Take away all the free games they are giving, all the requests for refunds, falling profits, missing quarter goals and future damages... they wont even have for a chewing gums.

They really should take a different PR direction. What they're doing now is really astoundingly selfdefeating; just a fucking acknowledgment of the server issues coupled with an optimistic paragraph about the SC team being hard at work on providing the best possible experience would make it look much better. As it is now everyone knows that the launch was a fiasco in multiple ways and yet the only thing they mention is "deploying fixes" which is the worst kind of corporate PR you get.

It's like one of these natural resources companies which refuse to acknowledge that they irreversibly damaged an ecosystem in spite of the fact that the world media were talking about it for weeks. There's not much worse you can do than giving a "business as usual" brief in such cases. The main difference is that natural resources corps were (and in many cases still are) both politically and economically in a position in which they could get away with such arrogance while EA is a corp which reputation is much more directly tied to market performance.

We may whine how stupid folks still buy these games, but it's really noticeable how tarnished their reputation is. Just google EA or do a youtube search, there's hundreds upon hundreds of blog posts, forum posts, videos bashing their policies. Word gets around and slowly but surely it makes its mark and alienating your own consumer base is not a way for a business to operate in the long-term. Right now the shareholders might feel reassured, but as the sales drop that sort of PR just won't cut it anymore, and when the shit hits the fan it'll be too late to flip-flop and acknowledge past mistakes and misdeeds. The brand will be finished and there'll be no-one to talk to anymore.
I can only agree.

Its really a global issue of certain type of behavior. Those examples of natural resources companies is another good example.

Politicians are another. The whole fucking system is leaking in these specific types of personalities who get to positions of "power" and influence not because they actually know how to do business, but because they are greedy fucks and assholes who will trample over bodies to get to those positions.
And then the system itself doesnt have any measure to repel such people.
So you end up with rule makers who are literally incompetent to do the job in the best way - but are over competent to be greedy assholes. who spend all their time warring with each other, while everything around them collapses - which doesn't have any immediate influence on them because they dont live in same conditions as the rest of society. A separate socio-economic caste.
In my country it is so, in yours it is so - i dont even need to know or ask which country that is. Because its the same all over. China, middle east, Americas, Africa, Europe... same shit. Same underlying system.

They say: Capitalism vs Communism? HAH! pull another one!
Exactly the same. Exactly. Ruling caste of parasites, living on work of those who actually create. Parasites who invented how indispensable they are.

Its the same in economy at large and same in entertainment business.
Parasites living on work and creativity and talents and knowledge of "creators".
A guy gets hired and he fires a 100,000 people and thats great? Because people just like him can recalculate all that into some fictional profit?
A guy gets to the top of EA, buys other productive studios then pushes them into absurd shit in order to make that "profit" - while on the other hand he spends zillions on utter shit, like PR which consists of same kind of people, then he fires everyone and ruins that studio.
Of course its never just one guy. he fires or drives away everyone who is actually capable because he sees them as threats to his position and hires same people like he is - only weaker.

Short term "profit" is victory?
And then when their actual true incompetence starts to tear everything down - they literally do not know anything else but to use PR.
because they are fucking stupid and limited.

Its a fucking slow, slow process because people are stupid and also so susceptible to short term gains - because we are all so short lived and mortal, and that an incredible force, but this obvious stupidity is more and more obvious.
Examples just keep piling on.

Its a shame it will last whatever it will all last still, because its already too long, but it will go down the drain. All of it.
i just hope to see it, finally and totally collapsing, if nothing else.

I wouldnt be surprised if most people are playing this shit now for lulz.
kinda stupid of course but very probable i think.

Of course there is a section who are just too ignorant or find it easier to believe in blatant PR bullshit.

Garm

Learned
Where does this entitlement mentality come from? Why isn’t it sufficient to vote with our wallets? Where did artists or designers releasing games that aren’t tailored precisely to our standards morph into a mandate to launch vulgar, ad hominem-laced screeds?

This guy can go fuck himself, along with every other douchebag who complains that consumers are "entitled"--fucking duh, they should be, it's their goddamned money their spending.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If fans bitch about a game they're "entitled". If they don't buy a game (see Devil May Cry), they're unwilling to change with the times. You are supposed to buy every game that comes out and pretend to like it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I really love Borderlands GOTY.
It must be why I can't be arsed to buy the sequel cause it's so perfect, it doesn't need improving.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
fuck this gay earth

To be fair it's a series that goes beyond the average gamer. "i played the last sim city donkeys years ago and it was pretty cool, i might buy this new one"

All without knowing a god damn thing about the mulitplayer bollocks or the fact that they turned it into tropico.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I was too busy laughing at "AI" to notice the goddamn textures.
This is absolutely retarded. More entertaining than Big Rigs and Dung Lords together.
Yeah I don't get it, EA were playing up that the game looks "amazing" and "inspires creativity" and "like a children's toy box" etc.

Too bad that once you turn off the bloom filter/blur you realize that visually it's only a small step up from SimCity 4. Comparing this game to something like Tropico 3 or 4, made by a much smaller company with far smaller budget and resources, is just too funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom