Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let`s play! The Fall: Last Days of Gaia

Cheap solution for faster loading, download the assorted pictures (> 1mb) here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/141325798/l ... g.rar.html
---

Hello my fellow Codexers!

To celebrate the work of the english patch for The Fall: The last Days of Gaia i decided to start one of those fancy Let`s Play! -Threads. My version that i`ll use in this thread is in german and costs here around 10 Euros. It is obvious that a lot of the inspiration for this game comes from Fallout! Of course it won`t reach the greatness of a one-time-wonder but let`s try to find out if it`s RPG-worthy! (fun fact: i use exclamation marks for the same fact that Pete H. uses immersive in every second sentence)

One last thing,
I have never read any review about it or saw a lot of videos/screenshots about this game.
This means i don`t know the outcome, if it should be called "The Fall" or "The Fail"
I`ll try to play it unbiased. *cough*

24174787yx6.png

The game starts off with the standard "New game" button. It wants to know how you want to look in the game world.
You can choose a face out of various female or male, black or white avatars. I picked some cool-looking guy.(see avatar on next screen)

98450826sf3.png

Welcome to the world of the Fall. This right here is my character and he hasn`t a name or character skill points yet. In front of me i see some kind of city build around a concrete wall. From the intro i have learned that all of his parents were killed by bandits and that he wants REVENGE so he wants to join "THE NEW GOVERNMENT" which has sworn to get rid of those bandits.

From the RPG bible, choose the mainplot:
1. Find the Waterchip.
2. Shipwrecked.
3. Find your father.
4. Revenge. (check)

90924019na9.png

20594010ic1.png

(What you see here is called charismatic sneaking):
I made myself comfortable with the game.(Whoever quotes this is too predictable) It find out that the you can stand, duck or lie down and the inventory. Inadvertently i clicked on my jacket and boots and he stood there half-naked. Of course i have done this only to test out if this game has any choices and consequences to the reaction of those manly soldiers. Guess what, they treated me like they see half-naked men every day. I`m starting to believe that they do. A creepy feeling crawls my back as i enter the town.

49888664dz7.png

This is how Fallout 3 would like like without the bloom, HDR and whatnot.

06so0.png

Hey, which bastard photographed me?! I was just doing the necessary thing to survive in this cruel world and ...to suck out answers.

25143069xq1.png

For a short moment i think this is a concentration camp and a fuhrer nazi is speaking through the loudspeaker. Somebody just died, probably a bandit who was beheaded.

72704502rz5.png

This is the fuhrer eh pressident of this camp ehm.. town. Nice jacket.

17037307nj1.png

Dialoge trees, baby!
Translation kinda:
1. "Hey yo wassup, did you just seriously beheaded the guy?"
2. Uhm excuse me my excellence.. are you the new president?"
3. "Iif you are this so called new president then i`ll turn this place into a monarchy
and make myself the king."
4. "Sorry, gotta go. Bye!"

I picked the second question, i didn`t wanted to make the fuhrer angry.
He tells me that i need a passport from Lucas when i want to become a soldier.

10zo7.png

Of course there is always another "faster" way to become a soldier.

11zw2.png

ARRr!!! Sailing through the wasteland like a real pirate.

12qe6.png

No Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles reference.
He is just stating the obvious "This is a gully deckel."
-1 Point from me.

13ej2.png

I enter the building where i meet L-L-l-ucas. (no offense)
I don`t know how old that game is but those graphics look decent! I`m enjoying them.
The graphical interface could use some update with more rust.

14sf2.png

The inventar.

15qa9.png

16sc7.png

So t-T-talk to Lucas (no offense) and he tells me that i need to fill out this paperclip.
Wow! This reminds me very much on Fallout. The SPECIAL system, the different skills to
choose from. However i decided that i want to play a balanced character for my first
playthrough. Things start to get look better RPG-wise. Next one.

17vl2.png

18il9.png

I leave the building and the Fuhrer wants to talk to me again. (scripted cutscene kicks in)
His last words before i can explore the shit out of the game world:

"Eine one more thing. Never forget for whom do you arbeit for and for what you are standing for!
As Soldat of the "Government of the New Order" it is your duty to help people. The people
will talk to you, you are a respect person ja. Don`t forget that. Jawohl!"

That game actually takes place in America.
Why do i get the feeling that i won`t be allowed to shoot anybody that i want?

The adventure begins! Bear with me!

Next up:
-More iso-screenshots!
-Bigger resolution pictures, less kb! (still have to figure it out)
-Epic adventures with the half-naked man called Alec!

Wyrmlord

Arcane
It's like America under the Nazis.

BTW, somebody should do a LP of A Hard Days Knight.

skyway said:
thank you for lots of PNG images
No i thank you good sir for viewing it.

I get your point, take this, it`s the only thing i could come up with fast:
http://rapidshare.com/files/141325798/l ... g.rar.html (ignore the virus.exe, it´s just there for decoration)
Watch the screenies while reading.

The next posts will be optimised for your viewing pleasure, my highness.
@Wyrmlord: If you only would know how much work those threads require and now i feel bad that the file size of those pics is big.

Quilty

Magister
Even though the quests in this game are often uninteresting, and many of the characters seem bland, there's just something about the world that I liked. The post-apoc setting was nicely done, and the whole atmosphere of the locations was enjoyable. But it's no Fallout sequel, I'm afraid.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I once tried an Albion LP at another forum, but I stopped on realizing what a shitty game Albion is.

Thank you for the kind feedback. , i see that the german nazi speak is still very popular around the internet, i shall not overuse it! Rumor has it, that a new update will hit tomorrow.

Texas Red

Whiner
SimpleComplexity said:
Thank you for the kind feedback. , i see that the german nazi speak is still very popular around the internet, i shall not overuse it! Rumor has it, that a new update will hit tomorrow.

I saw a crabman the other day.

flabbyjack

Arcane
You know, there is a German-to-English patch available. If you need it and cannot find it by your lazy self PM me and we'll work something out. It doesn't work on the audio, just the text.

LCJr.

Erudite
SimpleComplexity said:
Hello my fellow Codexers!

To celebrate the work of the english patch for The Fall: The last Days of Gaia i decided to start one of those fancy Let`s Play! -Threads. My version that i`ll use in this thread is in german and costs here around 10 Euros.

Would this be the proper time for a "Learn to read motherfucker!"?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
The Camera is a pain in the ass, cant force myself to go past the first quest, also it seems like a LOT of running is involved at the beginning..compared with shitty combat - its moved down on the to-play-list. But go on, maybe i'll see something awesome and change my mind.

aleph

Arcane
jagged-jimmy said:
The Camera is a pain in the ass, cant force myself to go past the first quest, also it seems like a LOT of running is involved at the beginning..compared with shitty combat - its moved down on the to-play-list. But go on, maybe i'll see something awesome and change my mind.

that is rather unlikely considering he LPs The Fall

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But The Fall isn't hilariously bad. It's just... meh. And I hated the fact that you can do some quests only in one way, and that way is completely ridiculous and needs more effort than any alternative you could think about. This game has just too much of this.

Jeah the camera is bad but i think it`s perfect for these Let`s Play threads. I would say NWN 2 camera is worse but both of them are very similiar. You can move around with WASD or right click on the ground.

I`ll upload some new impressions on page 2, give me a moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom