Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Sweden Game Conference 2015: Lessons Learned with Chris Avellone

hivemind

That sucks. I had a few of those myself. There's plenty of home remedies and shit flying around the net but imo the best idea is to just go to a surgeon and have them cut it out.

Not sure where you live but provided it's in Europe you could easily find some small semi private/private clinic and they'd do it for a few euros(maybe even for free depending on your insurance and stuff) without you having to wait for weeks for a public hospital surgeon.

The one I went to was actually located in a hospital right next to the public surgeon part.

Cadmus

Arcane
I'm gonna try to pry it out with my rusted scissors first as it seems to be an early stage. If I stab myself (which is likely) I will go to the hospital. Fuck everything.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The real reason tyrannosaurus rex left is that Cadmus has made him redundant.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Cadmus is indeed growing more and more shitlordian. This is always fun to watch, even if I'm already used to it by now.

I guess it's how farmers watch their crops grow.

I'll water him now and then.

by that I mean I'll piss on him

Cadmus

Arcane
what, you guys.. not fair, just because I expressed my expert opinion on this shit video that made it to the front page don't make me a shitposter

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That list seems to include only pre-Obsidian titles (despite still having an Obsidian logo...)
But it was strange that when listing all the kickstarter stuff he worked on, like Wasteland 2, Torment, FTL, he still excluded PoE. Something's fishy aroung here.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I'm just middle of watching MCA's talk and he says that don't talk shit about anyone else in the gaming industry, because no one wants that kind of poisonous attitude in their team because making games is collaborative effort. That's kinda true, but I kinda feel that it've had also negative effect on game development in the industry over time, sometimes the right kind of chism, clash or competition is great for the creative work, if everything is just hunky dory and everyone's just smiling and being afraid to say things straightly because "We always need to be pleasent to each other" then what they're working on can be (or even tends to be) bland shit.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm just middle of watching MCA's talk and he says that don't talk shit about anyone else in the gaming industry, because no one wants that kind of poisonous attitude in their team because making games is collaborative effort. That's kinda true, but I kinda feel that it've had also negative effect on game development in the industry over time, sometimes the right kind of chism, clash or competition is great for the creative work, if everything is just hunky dory and everyone's just smiling and being afraid to say things straightly because "We always need to be pleasent to each other" then what they're working on can be (or even tends to be) bland shit.
He just means the difference between talking shit about other people's work and consturctively criticising it. He specifically says that you might offter specific notes, insights about a game. But trash talking like 90% of the Codex does won't get you anywhere.

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I think he just means the difference between talking shit about other people's work and consturctively criticising it.

Maybe, but sometimes you need the trash-talking too :P

Shadenuat

Arcane
Sorry MCA, but doors and minigames in Alpha Protocol are fucking shit

You may not hire me cause trashtalk, it's ok

Codex is fair criticism 4 free.

Last edited:

Drax

Arcane
So I've watched the first half.
I'm kind of concerned... I've never heard him having such a lack of breath, he speaks like he's ill or something.
Please god, be good to him.

Fairfax

Arcane
But it was strange that when listing all the kickstarter stuff he worked on, like Wasteland 2, Torment, FTL, he still excluded PoE. Something's fishy aroung here.
He has already explained it before:
Chris Avellone: "To be clear, and to give credit where credit is due on content contributions (I don’t want to steal anyone’s thunder), I wrote the first iterations of two companions (Durance and the Grieving Mother, who have been scaled down to about ¼ of what they were originally, and the Grieving Mother’s mental dungeon was excised as well, which was essentially a stealth adventure game inside her memories).

The final versions that are in the game are the province of other narrative designers, and I would be uncomfortable taking credit for the final implementation of the two characters. "

People News Chris Avellone tells the Codex about his current work on Pillars of Eternity

He doesn't want to take credit because he doesn't consider it his work.

worldsmith

Savant
The "best" part is right near the end (~47:40): Vancian magic system is OK for books, but doesn't work in a computer game because... the feels.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I love how he tries hard to sound normalfag and mainstream consensual speak, while trying to get people to play system shock. Sounds like me trying to convince my "gamer" cousins to play pathfinder.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The presentation seemed mostly like "use common sense, the end"

Should he instead reveal some secret? Like "use virgin's saliva and toad's blood in full moon and you'll create new PS:T"?
Like "take a pill and lose weight!", "take a pill and get muscles", "take a pill and be an Einstain".
Somewhat ridiculous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom