Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Leonard Boyarsky has joined Obsidian Entertainment

Wizfall

Cipher
Maybe this is a stupid question, but why is everyone joking (or not?) about Sawyer being fired/made coffee bitch ?
Did he fuck up something on PoE ? (havent played it yet). I think he directed New Vegas and that was fantastic. I enjoyed reading his formspring too.
I dislike Sawyer's creative input.
He does not build interesting settings, locations and "atmosphere".
For example while i like much better FNV than F3, Fallout 3 locations are more interesting visually that FNV ones.
I rather like PoE but both the setting (it did not succeed to make it interesting/entertaining at all IMO) and the locations (while having good graphics) are really bad/uninteresting.
Also i feel like he has a tendency from his background to introduce awful or overcomplicated/boring concept (like the Caesar Legions in FNV and for the boring look at PoE)

On the other hand he seems very good at managing project (to limit scope and "deliver" a complete decent product in time) and rather good to design mechanics (despite all the falws and critics about PoE mechanics, it is still way above your average cRPG).

Trashos

Arcane
If you take into account how little time Obsidian had available, it is a small miracle what they pulled off with FNV. I wish it had more interesting combat, but that's not Obsidian's fault.

FNV was definitely good work creatively (bugs aside).

Flou

Arbiter
Tyranny is coming out this year. I don't know what somebody with a background in art direction and world design would do with it at this stage.

If anything, he's more likely to join PoE2.

Or maybe he jumps on pre-production on whatever project they got mapped out next for the team working on Tyranny.

Shin

Cipher
Please please don't let it be PoE2. Really hope Obsidian gets some license to work with, either D&D (I know it wont happen but yea) or WoD.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I don't know, I think this is fallout related. Why would Blizzard's contract prohibit him from changing his facebook profile picture to the iconic image?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I don't know, I think this is fallout related. Why would Blizzard's contract prohibit him from changing his facebook profile picture to the iconic image?
MCA said Obsidian will never get to make a Fallout game again, or anyone besides Bethesda anyway.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
There's so much demand for it though, and at the end of the day, Zenimax likes money.

Plus, I think with the whole Bethesda Montreal thing becoming a tech developer for the main team we won't see a new BGS game for a while so just like New Vegas was to fill the gap between Fallout 3 and Skyrim this new project will serve the same purpose.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
For MCA to say that they probably had a change in politics and won't let third parties mess with their IPs anymore.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
Chris left before they would've had a chance to even start work on it, Fallout New Vegas didn't start until Early 2009 and things could've changed

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
They're still tight with Bethesda though, they were at the Fallout 4 Launch Party and there have even been twitter exchanges between Feargus and Hines so obviously there isn't any bad blood.

EDIT: Even Howard at one point said that he thought New Vegas was great and that another partnership would make sense.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
So? It was never implied to be some sort of feud.

EDIT: Even Howard at one point said that he thought New Vegas was great and that another partnership would make sense.
I'd rather trust MCA responding to a tweet over Toddler giving an interview.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Maybe Obsidian got a contract for Fallout 1:EE.

...for tablets.
Pathfinder Adventures comes out in two weeks, the team is ready :kfc:

And Bethesda just made big money with a F2P mobile game... maybe a F2P version of Fallout 1, where you pay $1.99 to unlock a new world map location? $4.99 to extend the time limit, $7.99 to disable it completely...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom