Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Leonard Boyarsky has joined Obsidian Entertainment

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Tyranny is coming out this year. I don't know what somebody with a background in art direction and world design would do with it at this stage.

If anything, he's more likely to join PoE2.

This could mean that PoE2 will be full 3D rendered.

Hegel

Arcane
Good, now rehire avellone and mitsoda and promote sawyer to a web design position. ToEE2 and Bloodlines2 coming.

Hegel

Arcane
ToEE2 would sell 300k copies even if it used the same engine. A shame Hasbro doesn't care.

Is there any significance to this, short of developer camaraderie and Obsidian pulling a new Fallout/Arcanum/Bloodlines/Pathfinder/TB RPG, none of which is happening any time soon? Even Tyranny is RTwP, as if one game with two expansions and a planned sequel isn't enough.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Maybe this is a stupid question, but why is everyone joking (or not?) about Sawyer being fired/made coffee bitch ?
Did he fuck up something on PoE ? (havent played it yet). I think he directed New Vegas and that was fantastic. I enjoyed reading his formspring too.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why is everyone joking (or not?) about Sawyer being fired/made coffee bitch ?
Did he fuck up something on PoE ? (havent played it yet). I think he directed New Vegas and that was fantastic. I enjoyed reading his formspring too.
Don't get into that, bro, at least half of the Codex hates Sawyer for completely superficial reasons.

Hegel

Arcane

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nobody in the media has reported on this yet. Either they don't care, or they're trying to confirm with Obsidian first and Obsidian is refusing to answer (possible given TimCain and Anthony Davis' coyness about this)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nobody in the media has reported on this yet. Either they don't care, or they're trying to confirm with Obsidian first and Obsidian is refusing to answer (possible given TimCain and Anthony Davis' coyness about this)
I think if Tim Cain posted it on his facebook, it is not a big secret. I don't think Obsidian is refusing to answer.

Fairfax

Arcane
They're still reading the wikipedia articles on him and Troika.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TVuEhPn.png

Prime Junta

Don't get into that, bro, at least half of the Codex hates Sawyer for completely superficial reasons.

He is a tattooed vegetarian cyclist with that rising yKNOW? intonation, and he is known to condescend... from time to time. These are legit reasons to hate someone, in these parts at least.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I find some of his eccentricities endearing. His design sensibilities are another matter (at least with respect to games he doesn't want to make :P). I'd like to see him get to make his historical RPG or w/e.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Which KOTOR2 area did you think was more interesting than a corresponding KOTOR1 area? We're talking physical world design, atmosphere, and visuals here obviously, not writing (which is obviously waaaaaaaaaay better in KOTOR2).

Writing can factor into atmosphere and besides, it's hard to compare when games are so different in that regard despite sharing the same setting/source material. Kotor 1 is your standard, simplistic Star Wars fairytale in space and for all their faults Bioware did IMO nail that movies' feel while Kotor 2 is more of a dreary dystopian cyberpunkish adventure or something, Avellone's penchant for deconstruction of settings aside it could have worked completely fine without Star Wars (heck, Kreia is a near carbon copy of Ravel). Even the start in Kotor 2 feels like System Shock more than Star Wars.

What hurts Kotor 2 in comparison with the original is lack of content, polish and terrible encounter design and combat (which hardly means first one excelled in those areas but the difference is noticeable), the game just felt rushed. It had better crafting system and itemization than the first (and it's overall one of the very rare crafting systems I enjoyed), the influence system that was fun to play around with, more character development options with prestige classes, joinable party members had some unique abilities which I always like in RPGs (Atton's survival instinct for example) etc. but moment-to-moment gameplay in essence just boiled down to simplistic click and kill regardless of whether you were a lightsaber or force user which made all those gameplay choices lack impact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom