Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

People News Leonard Boyarsky has joined Obsidian Entertainment

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    KOTOR1 had lots of very repetitive tunnel-based maps, mixed in with some better ones. It felt like Bioware were still getting the hang of how to make appealing locations in a console-style third person perspective, and that they were actually improving as the game's development progressed.

I remember KOTOR2 having less of the tunnels, but you might be able to argue that it also had fewer locations that reached the standard of KOTOR1's most impressive ones.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    :what: yourself.

Which KOTOR2 area did you think was more interesting than a corresponding KOTOR1 area? We're talking physical world design, atmosphere, and visuals here obviously, not writing (which is obviously waaaaaaaaaay better in KOTOR2).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    At the time environments were good and while I agree with the rest, I ignored most of that because I really like Star wars universe. Without that I would consider it decent like the rest of Obsidian games I listed.

^ Top  
  4. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    And how did you came to this conclusion? He was still working for Obsidian while doing all that other stuff as side projects. And that's what I'm saying.. maybe we don't see the work he did there because it didn't make it in the final products.

You sure like your hurr durring through strawmen. If his work was cut because it didn't fit with Obsidian's vision it doesn't mean they "hated him". It's a business not a kindergarten.
    You know, maybe there's a reason he now says he enjoys the creative freedom after leaving Obsidian.

^ Top  
  5. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    KOTOR2 had plenty of tunnels too. Some of them were disguised somewhat though. Telos f.ex. is a "wide open tunnel" -- yeah, there's a lot of space, but you only go through it one way. Korriban has the same physical layout in both, except KOTOR2's is smaller and has an extra (tunnel) area; same for Dantooine. Onderon culminates in one massive tunnel. Nar Shaddaa is a hub with connected tunnels. I honestly don't see much progress there; only diff is that KOTOR2's tunnels are uglier and emptier.

^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    No, KOTOR1's tunnels are worse. Think of Lower Taris or the sewers. They're so long and bland that they actually look procedurally generated. I'm willing to bet they were made early in the game's development.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. commiegender: ⚧ The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Mostly agree with you except for one thing:

I like Alpha Protocol THIS MUCH!

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    I'll see your Lower Taris and raise you a Malachor V.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Athelasgender: ⚧ Arcane

Athelas
    Parrots:
    Well yes, that was my argument. Both games have terrible visual design. Since Kotor 2 has far superior world building and writing, it has the more interesting locations.

^ Top  
  10. Fargusgender: ⚧ Savant

Fargus
    Parrots:
    Can't believe it...

^ Top  
  11. One-and-a-half-Ivangender: ⚧ Erudite

One-and-a-half-Ivan
    Parrots:
    The difference is that KOTOR2's tunnels were created by our lord and savior :love:
    Truth be told, the writing was a big huge plus for me; it really made that game something outstanding. KOTOR1, on the other hand, not so much.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    I guess I should've made it even clearer that I was talking about physical design, atmosphere, and visuals, then. I thought it was implicit because I explicitly mentioned the writing separately.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Mask of the Betrayer had better ratio of combat:dialogue:exploration, (rant about Nar Shaddaa here).

Er what. Both nail the Star Wars aesthetic. I'd say kotor 2 looks worse only because Obsidian didn't have enough time to work on lighting.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. laclongquangender: ⚧ Arcane

laclongquan
    Parrots:
    KOTOR1's lower forest is oppressive. Nice atmosphere, that~
    My general problem with KOTOR1 is its gameplay is shit easy. You can run your character nekkid from start to finish with MAYBE some instance require your armor-up.

^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again imweaselgender: ⚧ Arcane

imweasel
    Parrots:
    Games set in an amusement park called "super compressed southern Nevada" that have Bethesda popamole RPG mechanics will never be a masterpiece. Maybe a very good game, but never a masterpiece.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. anduingender: ⚧ Arbiter

anduin
    Parrots:
    D3 world design for me was great. Story and narration was kinda a lame.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Jedi Exilegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Jedi Exile
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Leon will probably work on Tyranny together with Tim, so I am not super excited. It's good that Boyarsky left Blizzard though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Lhynngender: ⚧ Arcane

Lhynn
    Parrots:
    Dont fire him, make him the cofee bitch.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Athelasgender: ⚧ Arcane

Athelas
    Parrots:
    It's supposed to be released later this year, there can't be that much time left to contribute much. After Tyranny is done, those people will have to be put to work on something though, pre-production for which could already be underway now.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Tyranny is coming out this year. I don't know what somebody with a background in art direction and world design would do with it at this stage.

If anything, he's more likely to join PoE2.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Well yeah, jedi powers don't work with armor. Putting it on the main character would be a mistake.

^ Top  
  22. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Some do. The couple of times I played through it, I found a minmaxed, heavy-armour-wearing Guardian to be the easiest to play (as if the game wasn't easy enough to begin with). Just pick powers that work in armour.

(I hear a blaster jedi is stupid powerful too, but haven't tried it.)

^ Top  
  23. Athelasgender: ⚧ Arcane

Athelas
    Parrots:
    The most powerful build is a force lightning-spamming male consular (male because of the Handmaiden feat). Requires the least effort too, just click the same icon, you don't even have to move.

That reminds me, the most hilarious thing about Kotor 2 is that MCA once again made wisdom just as overpowered a stat as it was in Torment (albeit for somewhat different reasons).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Until you have to deal with Darth Malak, who's as good as immune to force powers. Fuck that fight is tedious with a consular.

Edit: oh, Handmaiden. You were talking about KOTOR2, we were talking about KOTOR1. Yea in KOTOR2 consulars are OP as fuck.

^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Jasedegender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Parrots:
    Leonard Bloodlines 2 has joined Obloodlines 2 Entertainment

:mrpresident:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)