Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lego RPG?

Yay or nay?

• Yay!

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Nay!

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
There are a lot of games which use the Lego brand and look, and Lego makes a lot of money with them i.e. expect to hear from their lawyers should your game ever get popular.

Lego: Torment:

'What can change the nature of a man?'
Dialogue Responses:
1. Well the Lego heads are identical, so you need to put yours on a different torso.
2. Need to be sent back to the furnace. Molten all the way down and rebuilt from new plastic blocks. Only way to be sure.
3. Just change the hairpiece/helmet - lots of guys from the science Lego kit blend in just fine in this Medieval set. They just put a helmet on and no-one knows the difference.

zeitgeist

Magister
You know, there was this one issue that bothered me with LDraw (or whichever compatible editor I used at the time, I think it was LeoCAD): there was no way to set a limit to the number and type of pieces you can use. And building virtual models, to me, just wasn't as fun without the scarcity that comes with having only a couple of physical Lego sets (which would ideally lead to having to find inventive solutions to achieve your vision, and constant revisions of the model in your head).

Granted, that was many, many years ago and I haven't looked into this since. Is there an editor that simulates these constraints somehow?

Severian Silk

The coolest development recently IMO is SR 3D Builder, a 3D hardware-accelerated modeler created not too long ago.

> http://staff.polito.it/sergio.reano/

Still kind of glitchy (I can't use it on my Win 7 machine for instance because of the font size I use in Windows) but still cool nonetheless.

Not sure about limiting the number of parts. Might want to contact the dev and see if he'll implement such a feature. Would be cool if you could limit the availability of parts to only those found in certain sets, or a certain number of sets. Thereby instituting a sort of quota I guess.

Severian Silk

My other idea besides creating everything from scratch was to create a JA2 1.13 mod. Maybe all the lawyers would decide to ignore it if it were just a mod instead of a full game...

But JA2 1.13 doesn't support 32-bit graphics yet, so I kind of feel like it's not worth the effort! If they added support for 32-bit graphics I would be all over it in an instant.

visions

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:

Dialogue Responses:
1. Well the Lego heads are identical, so you need to put yours on a different torso.

The heads have been different at least since from the first half of the 90'ies. There's even a head that looks distinctly codexian:

130px-0,248,0,219-5988_Baron_von_Barron.jpg

zenbitz

Scholar
If I was going to make LEGO games, I would keep it within the theme of LEGO:Star Wars console games (i.e, Indiana Jones, Batman, Harry Potter etc.).

Except with the *wrong* movies.

LEGO: Taxi Driver
LEGO: Schindler's List
LEGO: Deliverance
LEGO: My Dinner With Andre

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They recently put out a lego MMO that flopped horribly from what I understand.

visions said:
Azrael the cat said:

Dialogue Responses:

The heads have been different at least since from the first half of the 90'ies. There's even a head that looks distinctly codexian:

130px-0,248,0,219-5988_Baron_von_Barron.jpg

Ahhh. Falls into the 'nowhere-land' category for me - was in uni during the 90s, so a bit old to buy Lego. Not that it doesn't still rock though - any kid of mine that doesn't like Lego is getting sent to Africa on a reverse '3rd-world-adoption'. I'll trade him for some bright Somalian kid who doesn't need complete no-thinking instructions. Better chance that way of him not needing quest compasses when he gets old enough for crpgs.

Alex

Arcane
I think that using a Lego graphic library to create a game could be quite nice. Probably would be easier than creating all the graphics by hand, and it would give a distinctive style to your game.

However, if I see a Lego game, then I expect the game to involve assembling and creativity in some way. Maybe we could we create a Lego based character system? Something where each level nets you a new piece which you then use to assemble your character sheet, which in turn defines your abilities? For example, on a level up, you might choose a horse piece. So, by putting your character on the horse in the sheet, you would give yourself the riding ability (equip a weapon to gain the mounted combat ability). By putting your character next to the horse, you would gain the animal empathy ability. Also, you would also be able to combine different pieces in some ways. For example, you might put a horn in the horse to turn him into a unicorn (so his meaning in the character sheet would be different) or maybe put flames on his hoofs to make her a nightmare (I know this wouldn't fly with the normal Lego horse)

Or maybe you could give the assembling aspect to the player by allowing him to interact with the world in that way. Crafting could require the player to mess with the pieces in order to create what he desires. IF he wants to make a potion, he needs to disassemble the ingredients, take the relevant parts and put them in a vial in the correct order, so the pieces connect correctly. Furthermore, you could also manipulate your environment as pieces. For example, a dragon model whose mouth is stuck with a rock so big it can't further open its won't be able to use bite attacks. Then, by providing means to use the environment to his advantage, the game would become more "Lego-like".

Severian Silk

Not a big fan of mini-games, so I think that would suck. Just give the player a large variety of pre-made items per any number of other regular RPGs, plus a set of modding tools as per NWN.

Alex

Arcane
Minigames? I am not talking about mini-games, I am talking about interface. In the first example, the legos stand for words that would be in a character sheet. You can combine different pieces to form different words and position them differently to form different "phrases", that stand for skills.

On the second one, instead of an interface where you are able to apply different verbs to different objects and obtain different results, you make the player interact with legos. For example, a player might use a knife piece on an apple item. The apple would have a red brick exterior, but reveal a white brick interior and a black brick seed once cut.

The ideas aren't very good because they aren't making the legos central to the gameplay, they are just a different interface for another thing. But they aren't really supposed to be minigames. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

By the way, does anyone has any ideas to make the lego central to gameplay?

Severian Silk

Destroid said:
That Battletech stuff is pretty awesome.

Yup.

Alex said:
By the way, does anyone has any ideas to make the lego central to gameplay?

I can't think of any that would not end up just being a gimmick. This is my main complaint regarding most of the existing Lego video games. If you add stuff like that it distracts players from the core gameplay instead of adding to it.

MCA
You don't need to try too hard to come up with a special LEGO use just because they are LEGOs, because...

tumblr_kws5nxkouS1qapxx6o1_400.jpg

lego_museum_no-1.jpg

3669814787_23a2346ef1_z.jpg

mother-albums-aliens-lego-picture318-aliens-lego.jpg

lego2.jpg

apc05.jpg

apcinterior10.jpg

lego_alien_chest_burster.jpg

apcinterior07.jpg

crush.jpg

mother-albums-aliens-lego-picture309-alien-002.jpg

aahallwy_002.jpg

brickarms2.jpg

http://forums.alienscolonialmarines.net ... d43e-o.jpg

...LEGOs are just fucking cool by mere look.

(Check here for more LEGO Alien APC shots and here for the adventure-game-like close up shots).

This image in particular, makes me yearn for a turn based tactical LEGO game:

apcinterior10.jpg

Or a even a first person game based on those close up images.

Sadly, it would take a lot more polygons to invoke the same feeling of awesome than designing levels for a regular game. LEGO games certainly don't invoke that feeling of awesome in me the way LEGOs IRL does.

Severian Silk

I'm at a loss in terms of which game engine to use, however. I've looked around the Internet for a while and can't find any good candidates. (I'm mostly looking at freeware.)

There are several Flash solutions, the Unity engine, and FIFE, but they all have drawbacks that keep me from choosing them.

1. Flash tends to require the purchase of expensive development environments, or the tutorials assume you are using these expensive tools.
2. Unity engine is not designed specifically for 2D games. It is instead designed for 3D games.
3. FIFE is wholly unfinished and has sucky documentation.

Those are the only things I can think of right now.

AngryKobold

Arcane
I just wanted to start laughing over sheer stupidity of the idea. Then I thought about it.

Using Lego as a production tool for a game with 2D isometric presentation, so...

- there's an enormous pool of graphical assets to start with
- the look of all assets is standardized- and the standard ensures CONSISTENCY, GOOD LOOK and EXTREMELY FAST production
- all graphical assets are already a material designed for isometric maps
- the supposed in- game animations are perfect for low- budget production
- there's already software for it; a lot of software

... is... very smart? *)

*)
Except for the immediate lawsuit from Lego as soon the project is announced to public! HAHAHA SUFFERRRRRR CYKA

Severian Silk

Isometric perspective is also easy to do:

BigScene2.jpg

Too bad LEGO isn't in agreement with RPG Maker or whatever.

Kahr

If you just put a filter or paint a little over it, nobody would ever recognize it had something to do with lego.
Of course the figurines would be too recognizable. You would have to build them from blocks.
Could help uncreative people immensely though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom