Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legie - Czech Indie Adventure/RPG (with Added Racism)

Flanged

Scholar
I tried searching the Codex, and googling "rpgcodex forum legie" and all that jazz before making this topic, but couldn't find anything - despite the fact that I'm almost sure I read about the game here first.

Anyway, I really liked the demo, so wanted to see if anyone knew more about the full game. It's an independent semi-old-school 3D adventure game (billed as an RPG, but I never saw a stats screen at any point in the demo - there must at least be a character screen in the full game for equipping armour and weapons, though). It was made in the land of the Slovaks, and you start off as newb serving-boy in a tavern, being bullied by your drunk boss and the miners who piss away all their money there. You move around by clicking, gather objects, use objects to interact with environment, talk to people who hate you on sight (bit like Morrowind in that way, but darker, grittier, and moar mature. Very Czech - second mission is to mop up customers' vomit while they drink more).

Glamorous stuff.

Here's a video:

In the demo I got to do adventure-y things like using a metal bar to pry open a barrel to get a rotten cabbage to throw in a guard's face, but I never saw any combat - it looks real-time from the vid, but someone here will know whether it is or not. And must tell me.

Anyway, my character, though he was usually very deferential, always had the dialogue option to insult anyone he met - but had no choice when it came to the local merchant in his finery. He instantly started calling him a "desert snake" and threatening to smash an ale tankard over his head... then I saw the merchant was actually called a "Cheater." The game is set in medieval Central Europe, and is semi-historically-accurate... so going by the attitude shown I think this merchant was probably a...

Oh shit. That's gritty!

There was also a starving beggar woman with a dying baby, who I had the option of telling to go and get a job like her parent's did and pull herself up by her bootstraps, 'cos I iz a libertarian and stuff.

Anyway, what's the combat like, and does the adventure-y thing of having unique situations and conversations and puzzles persist throughout the game, or does it devolve into constant fighting the minute you leave the city?

Also, how're the dungeons?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flanged

Scholar
Fens said:
Flanged said:
It was made in the land of the Slovaks Czechs...

watched the video and the caves reminded me a bit of gothic 1. the character models look rather meh though.

looks like it might be worth the 10$.

Ah, Gothic 1... great game, and I think this one might be similar in terms of the mostly unfriendly, but very human, NPCs. There's no magic in it either so far as I know - Gothic 1 had quite a lot of magic, but for once it was made difficult to master (and worthwhile to master too).

The character models are as bad as they seem in the vids, but it doesn't bother me. Even with no voices, very limited looped animations, and slightly shoddy translation into English, they are a million times more interesting and convincing than anybody in Fallout 3. And that's just the drunks in the bar. I think I'll probably take the "risk" and buy the thing.

Fens:
havent this been posted before? i remember the first quest is about pouring beer for patrons.

I thought so too, but couldn't find the thread. The first mission is the beer one, and for some reason I really enjoyed it.... but then I liked forging swords and cooking meat to sell on in Gothic 1 as well. It was just a relief not to be told to go in the cellar and kill three rats or something.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Flanged said:
Even with no voices...

actually a good thing considering the limited budget and that even big budget games tend to get awful voiceovers.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Thanks for bringing this up. This is exactly the type of game that they should be producing again, the 3D RPG/Adventure with exploration instead of action (Ultima Underworld, Arx Fatalis).

EDIT: checked the demo unfortunately it's not 3D WASD but an adventure.

Flanged

Scholar
Morgoth said:
What's the difference between Czechs and Slovaks anyway?

Not sure. For all I know, they could all be Ruthenians.

All three of them make pretty good games from what little I've seen.

GlobalExplorer said:
EDIT: checked the demo unfortunately it's not 3D WASD but an adventure.

That's what I meant by click-to-move ... wasn't sure how else to describe it. I don't miss the WASD too much, but I'd miss the 3D if it was pure isometric.

Sad, really. Miss out on a lot of good older stuff that way.

lordfrikk

Scholar
Morgoth said:
What's the difference between Czechs and Slovaks anyway?

Two different countries with connected past and similar language. Anyway, I heard good things about this one, haven't had a chance to play it yet, though.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, it's on steam. With an "improved" English patch.

Last edited by a moderator:

valcik

Arcane
Shitty and very short adventure game with real-time combat system where you can target various bodyparts, and completely demented quest design drawing you from far end of the map all across the world and back repeatedly. The amount of retards praising it here is astounding.

valcik

Arcane
Hello Burned Buttocks,
I'll gladly point out any day what a filthy poseur you are, and I'm going to do it for free, just for the fun!

edit:
FYI deleted posts are not actually deleted in XenForo, only flagged as not visible to public, which means all the moderators can see your eight years old incompetence. Carry on! :P

:greatjob:

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Looks like fun, gonna give it a try this Sunday if I get the time and report back. Anyone else played it lately?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Well, as promised, I got it and beat it today. It takes slightly over an hour.
Puzzles are on the easy side, dungeon design is as pedestrian as it gets, and the combat crappy.
But the story is enjoyable, and overall the game was surprisingly fun, mostly due the dialogue and ambiance. Grim and morose, it's set in plague-ridden modern-day Czech Republic, with all its expected antics. The racist line about the seller embodies

Thread would best be moved to the Adventure section though, since the game itself ain't an RPG.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Beat the game today - it's certainly not an RPG as other people pointed out but was a fun experience. It's an 3D point and click game with some dungeon crawling sections and fights - I played an 3D point and click adventure years ago (Rituals) which I didn't like so much but it didn't bother me too much here. It's certainly a bit weird but I liked the small area; graphics are simple but atmospheric. Needed a walkthrough to finish it and took me over three hours (got all achievements). The English version still has a couple of errors.

It's 50% off rn btw

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I remember playing the demo of this many years ago. Also i remember checking out the files and, IIRC, it did use Quake 2's file formats :-P. I had completely forgotten about it until a few days ago when i finished Frayed Knights and was thinking about Jay Barnson's blog from where i learned about a few somewhat obscure games, including this one as well as stuff like Underworld (which nowadays seems to be improved considerably from the earliest incarnations i remember). I wishlisted it to get at some point in the future.

The game is also apparently made by the same guy who made HROT, which is a bit amusing considering that this seems to have more detailed models and environments than HROT even though it was made more than a decade earlier and by the same developer :-P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom