Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Legends of Dawn is Sympathetic to Your Needs

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Legends Of Dawn

<p>Dreamatrix Game Studios requested that we call attention to their upcoming action RPG, <a href="http://www.dreamatrix.net/site/index.php/legends-of-dawn.html" target="_blank"><strong>Legends of Dawn</strong></a>.</p>
<blockquote>Fresh out of the lair of Dreamatrix Game Studios, Legends of Dawn invites players to the brutal northerly reaches of Narr. Survival depends on you, your magic and your sword.<br /><br />What sets Legends of Dawn apart, is the freedom of play expressed in several key attributes that are rarely seen in typical RPG genres. We have poured our passion and creativity into taking you on an enthralling ride away from wearisome reality, by providing you with the choice to be whatever your heart desires, in Legends of Dawn.<br /><br />Of course, the choices you make during game play does not prevent you from trying something else later, or simultaneously if you wish. You could combine the sword and the magic, be a powerful crafter or anything else. <em>Legends of Dawn liberates from class restrictions unlike real life</em>. Class, race and differences exist within the game but after choosing your own race and gender, all else can be altered without restarting the game.<br /><br />Another quality that makes Legends of Dawn interesting, is the freedom of direction and movement. Most games force a player to follow the main storyline and forbid any deviation, or significant veering off the set course. Legends of Dawn is more sympathetic to your playing needs. You are free to wander wherever tickles your fancy within the continent, without limitations, under one condition. Stay alive. We have been careful to ensure that the quests only suggest, rather than impose direction of movement. Your journey is in your hands alone.</blockquote>
<p><br />Had to highlight my favorite line above.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

waywardOne

Arcane
Dreamatrix Game Studios said:
by providing you with the choice to be whatever your heart desires

Not an RPG. Why on earth would they invite our harsh gaze?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Never heard of these guys and there's very little in the way of substantive information on the game's page. Open world? Nice. 'Open classes?' Bad. I don't understand why some developers think meaningful trade offs in character abilities/specializations is something you want to avoid in an RPG. It's basically a staple of RPGs... even ARPGs. Hell, that's a large part of the replay value/fun of an ARPG. Try it once as a melee based character, try it again as a caster, or a ranged, or stealth or whatever. If you can be/do everything 'simultaneously' it's just a big sandbox/simulator. Well... now that I think about it, Witcher had no meaningful character specialization/development and it certainly didn't have an open world so maybe this will be better!

And, yeah, I think developers should read a few threads here before they ask for the attention. It's like they just did a Google search.

Mortmal

Arcane
Jason said:
<em>Legends of Dawn liberates from class restrictions unlike real life</em>

infanterierusse.jpg

Looks like an incredibly art-heavy game, which I guess is a good thing when you are dealing with an RPG-lite (or ultra-lite, as the case may be)

I can't help but think they went a little bit overboard though...

http://www.dreamatrix.net/media/lod/promo/promo_05.jpg

I guess it could be a somewhat entertaining hack & slash like DS or Diablo or something, but there's no real info beyond "this is how much stuff we have" (even their FAQ comes back with a 404)

Angthoron

Arcane
Sounds interesting enough, if they implement all this stuff well, might get it. At least they seem to have their ideas in the right places.

Funny how Diablo clones sound more attractive than Diablo 3 right now.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I see the "choices" word so much in interviews and game marketing now, it makes me cringe.

What have you done Codex? You are the ones that pushed the C&C meme and now the mega corps are hijacking it.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, actually, I think I figured out the secret behind all those Guests on the Codex - they're megacorp spies, gathering Codex ideas for their future games. I mean, I bet that someone previously had the idea of Syndicate FPS here at the Codex and an EA spy found it and drew up a design document.

Sims 3: The Planescapening is probably coming, too.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Davaris said:
I see the "choices" word so much in interviews and game marketing now, it makes me cringe.

What have you done Codex? You are the ones that pushed the C&C meme and now the mega corps are hijacking it.

The crap part of it is, C&C have gone from clever observation about the required causal links when interacting the in the gameworld and dillemas of character builds.
To storyfag wankery about how there are three different cutscenes.

.Sigurd

Educated
I wonder if by "freeing you of restrictions" they mean something like Skyrim where the character is a jack-of-all-trades or something like Ultima Online where you level up your skills using them but with a fixed level cap so you can't become good at everything.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
probably means not only can you respec skill points you can choose your class again as well

Choices that you have do-overs on have no consequence at all. Like what you are gonna be in the game.

Like a game where you can have on character of every type. Why replay it then? Oh, there is a different cut-scene during of the quests. Awesome!

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Marobug said:
Everything about this publisher of sorts reeks of ultra low quality shit. If this legends of dawn POS isn't enough, just look at their other games.
http://www.dreamatrix.net/media/homeworld/slideshow/sfhomeworld_01.png

Seriously did they really sell this junk ?

I think they must be indies just starting out. I just had a look at their forums and they are empty. Yet the front of their site makes them look like a professional studio. Well at least they fooled me.

Flatlander

Liturgist
Mortmal said:

We really need a Bolshevik Revolution - the RPG. It would be a perfect setting for a non fantasy/scifi RPG; lots of different factions with huge potential variety in combat styles, equipment and locations and not so tastefully done rape.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
sser said:
Jim Cojones said:

I laughed, but at the same time, there's kind of a sincere charm to the craziness of that picture.

For me its got a kitsch feel to it.

sser said:
Kind of reminds me of the days when not everything had to be "fucking badass".

People should make kitschy RPGs to deliberately thumb their noses at that trend. Then games will have truly arrived as an art form.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom