Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Legend of Grimrock

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
legend_of_grimrock_1920x1080_mountain_wallpaper.jpg

Prepare yourselves...for an adventure the likes of which you have never seen before.

Four convicts, each with his/her own mysterious past, imprisoned for crimes they may or may not have comitted.

-This will be a regularly updated yet somewhat slow moving Lets Play. I will typically only have time to update over the weekends. However, I will try to ensure the updates are worth it (i.e. massive updates).
-I am being watchwitzed. If you want updates to be regular, tell DarkUnderlord to unwitz me, because otherwise it is a real bitch to post/browse the boards.

-The more brofists I get (thus indicating interest), the sooner this LP gets off the ground. I don't want to do a LP if people don't care about the game.

-I am right now open to suggestions of party makeup including classes, traits, races, and character names.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Ok I spent some time last night and very early this morning downloading portrait packs to use, as the default ones, while good, are too few. I want more flavorful ones and more choice. After downloading many packs, including a pack of portraits by the old school artist Brom (of Darksun fame) I narrowed down my choices to the following, which IMO are the best ones available. Here is a selection from them:

iAcL3.png

Free brofist to the first person to guess correctly which game these are from originally.

By the way DarkUnderlord if it's possible to use these as forum avatars let me know and I will pm you the link with all the ripped out individual portraits. There are 123 portraits in total and they are in 128X128 TGA format, which is what Grimrock uses to read and import them for use in the game. But you can easily resize them, using something like Paint.NET.
I can link you to Broms pack as well, as he is popular with some of the pnp fans here (including moi)

Anyhow, still open to character suggestions. If you write an interesting backstory to your suggested character, the chance of me using it will be higher (though not guaranteed ofcourse). I may even use that backstory as part of the LP throughout the game, in terms of flavortext, character actions, and even character progression.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
The link suggested they were from Diablo III?

Can't confirm as I have never played that game. +M

They are. At least, that's what the uploader over at the Grimrock forums said. I was shocked that a popamole game like D3 would have such cool ass 2D portraits. I would have thought Blizzard would have gone for animated portraits at least (lip synched to their dialogue) And they are all quite good. Guess the decline isn't as pervasive as we thought...or only Bioware are the ones who went full 'tard.

Anyhow day before yesterday (yesterday night I was wayyy too tired and collapsed after coming back from work. Slept like 11 hours straight) I browsed through the Grimmy mods. There is some nice stuff there, quite an active modding community for an indie game. One interesting mod I found (The Sunset Gate) is where the author managed to get around the hard coded classes and managed to make Kits (aka sub classes with additional features) For instance, the rogue has an 'Arcane Archer' kit, whereby all his arrows are automatically enchanted before being fired. P. sweet. He also figured out how to add in the Ranger secret class (aka Toorum mode, but in this mod you don't have to name him Toorum) and gave this class 3 Kits as well. And he added in dialogue with choices. Unfortunately he also add in recruitable party members, so you only start off with 1 custom built PC. :x

I've also fooled around in the console and I think I have kind of figured out how to unlock the Ranger class, without having to name it Toorum. Considering using it for my LP...not sure yet.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is this blind or have you played before? If you haven't played before using Toorum is a bit of a spoiler in the 'story.' Moreover, he's so overpowered he's meant to be used individually without a party. Even on hard solo'ing with Toorum is trivially easy.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
4 mage party or bust

I actually almost finished the game with my 4 mage party - it became pretty boring about halfway through though so I didn't finish that playthrough

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Is this blind or have you played before? If you haven't played before using Toorum is a bit of a spoiler in the 'story.' Moreover, he's so overpowered he's meant to be used individually without a party. Even on hard solo'ing with Toorum is trivially easy.

Blind. I have Grimrock since last year when it was released, and I played through a bit. But my craptop could barely handle it on low settings. Now that I now have a desktop replacement ultratop, with a GeForce GTX 660m (upgradable to GTX 675 :smug:) with 12 GB RAM (upgradable to 32BG) i7-3630QM with 4 cores read as 8 and overclockable, 17 inch HD screen(matte) and 2 built in hyper quiet fans I am going to plow through every RPG I have missed since ToEE. Also, Super Street Fighter 4. :incline: Fuk mortal kombat.

Regarding Toorum, it isn't Toorum mode exactly. I am just talking about unlocking the Ranger class, aka the 4th class. It is n't overpowered because it starts out with zero in skills like other classes. I think Toorum was OP because he started out with points in skills. But don't tell me, I don't want to be spoiled more. The ranger class is cool because it is basically a warrior mage class. So you can pump swords and magic to your desired combination, and maybe plop some points into armor.

But I dunno, the party I am set on is 1 Minotaur Fighter, 1 Human Monk (Fighter or Rogue with Unarmed focus) and 2 Mages. I don't want more than 2 mages so if I go with Ranger I will have to replace one frontline dudewith the ranger, and then replace one of the backline magii with some other character, like a missile based rogue. I really wish they did not have rows in the game and allowed all 4 PCs to be frontliners, but oh well.

I've started coming up with a backstory, since none of you schmucks are bothering. One of the mages will be a female ex courtesean (or princess or spy) travelling aboard the flying ship seen in Grimrock's opening screen. She will be discovered and things will escalate quickly, and soon she will find herself in the dank dungeons of Grimrock with 3 shady characters. We will beign the game from there, likely.

zwanzig_zwoelf

This better be worth it.

P.S. Hey Andy, I got something to tell you, PM me, it's urgent!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Regarding Toorum, it isn't Toorum mode exactly. I am just talking about unlocking the Ranger class, aka the 4th class. It is n't overpowered because it starts out with zero in skills like other classes. I think Toorum was OP because he started out with points in skills. But don't tell me, I don't want to be spoiled more. The ranger class is cool because it is basically a warrior mage class. So you can pump swords and magic to your desired combination, and maybe plop some points into armor.

Toorum is OP because of his movement speed (although that's probably negated in a full party) and attack speed (which isn't). The 'ranger' class is shit because it's a poor mix of skills: both axes and swords (better off just picking one) and fire (okay) and earth (terrible) magic.

But I dunno, the party I am set on is 1 Minotaur Fighter, 1 Human Monk (Fighter or Rogue with Unarmed focus) and 2 Mages. I don't want more than 2 mages so if I go with Ranger I will have to replace one frontline dudewith the ranger, and then replace one of the backline magii with some other character, like a missile based rogue. I really wish they did not have rows in the game and allowed all 4 PCs to be frontliners, but oh well

Forget ranger and go with a monk build or rogue if you want. 2 mages is fine although I went with a rogue and one mage in the back. Overall, since it is your first proper playthorugh just ignore all mods and don't dick with the editor or whatever. Vanilla or bust.

I've started coming up with a backstory, since none of you schmucks are bothering. One of the mages will be a female ex courtesean (or princess or spy) travelling aboard the flying ship seen in Grimrock's opening screen. She will be discovered and things will escalate quickly, and soon she will find herself in the dank dungeons of Grimrock with 3 shady characters. We will beign the game from there, likely.

I'm not much of a storyfag, especially in games like this. Grimrock has a lot of character/atmosphere but the story is very basic. A general disposition/personality is sufficient to fill in dull gaps in the LP.

Not much of a spoiler, more like general gameplay hints for party formation:

Frost magic is the best by far, fire is okay, air is meh, earth is terrible. For casters you are better off picking frost or fire and boosting the other 'supportive' skill... can't remember what it is... arcane maybe? It's the one that increases willpower and shit.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That's it. Also somewhat handy for melee as energy (ability to swing your weapon)/mana is the same thing.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Metro thanks for the detailed reply.

The Ranger class is the only one with a warrior mage set of skills so it is cool. But I probably will go with the party outlined above. You can only use skills you pump points into, so obviously one will choose either swords or axes if going for weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom