Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Legend of Grimrock 2's new playable race - Ratlings

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Almost Human Games; Legend of Grimrock 2

The latest update on the Legend of Grimrock 2 dev blog introduces a new playable race, the Skaven Ratlings. They're about what you'd expect from the name:

As a ratling you may seem weak and disease ridden on the surface, but you are actually one of the most adaptable and hardy creatures in the world. You are hoarder in nature and greatly enjoy fiddling with mechanical contraptions…

As some of you may know, we’re introducing a new playable race in Legend of Grimrock 2. There is no place in the Northern Realms without them scurrying around. They have spread all over the lands as they seem to wander around endlessly and seldom stay in one place for a long time. Those creepy rodents are sometimes hated and feared for their scruff looks and contagious diseases they bear. But hardly anyone denies the fact that they find their way around the realms and that they are known to be some of the most seasoned creatures there is.

When you pick a ratling in the game’s character generation section, you get to choose your looks from the portrait gallery, done by our friend Emile Denis. Read more about the creation of the new portraits in here. In game terms ratlings have Strength -4, Dexterity +2, Max Load +15kg and are immune to diseases. Ratlings also get a chance to pick a special racial Mutation trait which boosts one randomly chosen ability score by 1 at level up.

But ratlings are not only found in your party. Like mentioned above, ratlings are everywhere and I mean everywhere, even on the Isle of Nex. Ratlings often enlist to ship crews and pirate galleys to roam the seas of the realms and some of them have shipwrecked and get stranded on the Island. On the Isle of Nex they have nested in the western parts of the island, but they often wander about the island but carefully avoid “The Boss”. Whenever you smell gunpowder in the air, you’re sure to know there’s ratling pirates around.
Gunpowder, eh? Does that mean Grimrock 2's going to have guns, too?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
but do they have complex social rituals where they walk over each other while peeing?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, the whole game will be rats in the basement?

Ah, no, I forgot there will be outside locations there too.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS TRUE STORYT I JUST GOT PET RATS AND MY KIDS FUCKING NAMECD THEM FAMOUS STEVE AND ROSE FANCY

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The only non-human race I used in LoG was minotaurs. And I only ever used one. Lizards and insect people are gross.

Now if they had some kind of cat race . . . perhaps a race predisposed to wearing skimpy bikinis . . . with animu eyes! Now that! I could get behind that, my friends, if you know what I mean. Eh?:troll:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I don't know, I kinda like them.
dunno. even wild rats look damn cute, which the portraits don't reflect at all, with the exception of the first, maybe. plus they went with the stereotypical dex modifiers. somehow i think furries based on actual rats should rather get int modifiers. then there's the small eyes with irises, which suck.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So... wererats.... Not really but might as well be. L0L

Eyeball

Arcane
Very excited about a new playable race, but would really be more intrigued if they added playable gameplay this time around.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Very excited about a new playable race, but would really be more intrigued if they added playable gameplay this time around.
Get over it; they're EOB homages. It's fine if you don't like them but it's a classic genre that existed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly, the game is looking really good. They resisted the temptation to SLAM DUNK and invested the time to make a bigger, better, more balanced sequel. I hope it works out for them. Grimrock's not a lone voice in the retro-RPG wilderness anymore, after all.

DraQ

Arcane
I haven't bothered with the original, but with more diverse locations and extra furfag playable races I might be inclined to buy the sequel (expect a lot of bitching about RT blobbing, then).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom