Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Why oh why oh why did they keep the pure fucking design retardation that is keeping secrets in pits. Seriously....it was stupid in Grimrock I and it is stupid here. Now I have to quicksave and break my legs at every trapdoor. Just connect the are to the fucking dungeon at some point rather making it only possible to enter these areas by taking falling damage.

It would be like hiding warp zones in pitfalls in Super Mario.
There are barrels in pitfalls in Donkey Kong Country :).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There are barrels in pitfalls in Donkey Kong Country :).
98% percent of the time they are marked by a banana or can be seen by looking at the screen from the exact right angle, the other 2% are just super secret debug (?) skip level barrels.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
As has been mentioned, a "fall-down-the-pit-without-getting-hurt" device will be available later on via Gold Key. If you see a Gold Key door, save, open it and have a look at what's inside, then reload if you're not happy. You'll know it when you see it.

Speaking of hiding things in pits - Earthworm Jim 2 hid an entire secret level in one, but you had to hit the pit in just the right way.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
98% percent of the time they are marked by a banana or can be seen by looking at the screen from the exact right angle, the other 2% are just super secret debug (?) skip level barrels.
OK, thanks.

I also think you could give LOG2 another chance someday, to me the first game was fun but nothing special and the second one was a lot better.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I really dislike how heavily reliant on saving this game is. "If you don't like what you get you with Golden keys just reload"- and a new player is supposed to know this how? The arquebus trick was just vindictive. I was expecting something to happen but that is just a guaranteed death sentence.

The first dungeon was okay, I was expecting the leprechaun to do more. No idea what to do with the fire essence. I suspect it is some sort of gating towards the final areas.

The freedom is interesting. I swam upriver from the broken bridge and manage to ran past some earth elementals into a grey zone with tree things. I did eventually back through the shrine of pain but it feels very freeform.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The trick I proposed is a variant upon save-scumming. It's just a suggestion, no need to follow it. The game auto-saves every time you activate a crystal, anyway.

The Leprechaun will be back with a deeper bag of tricks, don't worry.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I brute forced the figure puzzle. I have no idea what the meaning of it was even after "solving it". Anyone know?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
You're gonna have to be a little more precise there. What map? what clues? etc.

And if you want senseless puzzles, wait for the "walk the path"-puzzles...

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
You're gonna have to be a little more precise there. What map? what clues? etc.

I had a skeleton,ogre, vulture and snail figure. Alcoves that said "I can't fly/I can walk/I am the strongest/I am alive"

I just fiddled with the ordering for 5 minutes cuz apparently the answer was:

Skeleton-I can walk
Ogre- I'm the strongest
Snail- I can't fly
Vulture- I am alive.

I still don't get why this is the answer.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Snails creep and vultures fly, so logically, only the skeleton or the ogre could be "I can walk."
One says "I am the strongest" so that means that has to be the ogre, and the other one the skeleton.
Both snails and vultures are alive, but only one of them can't fly, therefore #3 has to be the snail, and #4 is left.

I haven't played the game that far yet but it seems logical enough?

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Snails creep and vultures fly, so logically, only the skeleton or the ogre could be "I can walk."
One says "I am the strongest" so that means that has to be the ogre, and the other one the skeleton.
Both snails and vultures are alive, but only one of them can't fly, therefore #3 has to be the snail, and #4 is left.

I haven't played the game that far yet but it seems logical enough?

Yeah I was tired and got hung up on the snail since the I forgot english uses a different verb.

"If you don't like what you get you with Golden keys just reload"- and a new player is supposed to know this how?

through common sense

The common sense of hoarding this particular type of key when the entire game is about using specific keys in specific slots to progress. Okay. Oh but feel free to use all the lockpicks you find since those are functionally a lower tier golden keys and rewards but you don't need to hoard them. I am sure you figured this out in first 5 minutes.

Also I am starting to dislike how vindictive the design is, the designers apparently thought you can throw in anything because people can quicksave. I mean instead of just teleporting people into 3 mimics with no signposting for finding a secret you might as well just ask "So when did you save the last time?".

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I'm guessing this is for the particular enjoyment of those playing IronMan. (These people may have weird ways of getting pleasure from such a game ;))

V_K

Arcane
I believe you're supposed to escape those, not win them. Sometimes maybe with just one PC barely alive (you do know that crystals resurrect dead characters?). Invisibility helps immensely, which is another reason air is the most important magic skill.

---

Arcane
Concentration is very useful too (force field and shield spells are fucking awesome).

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
If it's the one with the 4 floor buttons, I tried to give so many different interpretations to the clue that I wouldn't even be able to say if I vaguely understood something or if I solved it by chance.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The dungeons are really good, very nice level design. Some puzzles are somewhat schizophrenic from amazing to idiotic but I do enjoy them overall.

That being said I wish the I would have started on easy so I can ignore this fucking combat system as much as possible. The combat mambo in the first was annoying but now it's the combat conga where you just kite through corridors back to the start of the level since they tried "fixing" stuff.

I seriously considered uninstalling when I grabbed the gem from the bottom of the crystal mine and a million spiders spawned. I wasted 10 minutes doing the tedious conga rigmaroll.

Also I think I am at the walking puzzle. Trying to interpret the directions from a via sign on the wall.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
There are two "walking puzzles" that have people stumped. One involves walking in the proper manner through a room full of pressure plates. This puzzle is solved by first finding the readable with the directions, then finding the translation for the directions. (Those same directions are also used to mark other secret treasures all across the isle. Backtracking will be involved.)

The second one involves getting into the crypt. If you've been there you've seen a single hoverstone that needs to be pushed from certain directions to get inside. The instructions for this, while somewhat easy to find, have proven hard to understand.

And just to cover the final annoying puzzle: Have you gotten inside the Pyramid yet?

---

Arcane
For me, the worst puzzle was absolutely the one to get inside the Cemetery :lol:

V_K

Arcane
Yep, hated that one too. Although if it clearly stated how many steps there are to it, it would have been much easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom