Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

---

Arcane
One of the highlights of the first LOG was a room filled with trap doors and two fire demons (or whatever they're called), which forced you to dodge their attacks while keeping a close eye on your surroundings. And once you're done with those two guys and start solving the switch puzzle, they release the next enemy from a hidden alcove before you're done with the puzzle. Another set piece involves moving across quickly disappearing platforms without getting trapped by some flying dinosaur thing (again, no idea what they're called). LOG2 had similar set pieces, and both games have many encounters where success or defeat depends just on how well you can maneuver through a large crowd of enemies without getting surrounded.
Also Legend of Grimrock 2 is plenty of these moments, in case you didn't play it:M

Siobhan

Arbiter
I guess I read your post in a much douchier style than was intended. Heres' a thoroughly uncodexian apology heart.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I had this in my library since launch day since I wasn't in the mood. Guess I am in the mood now! (I purposefully tried to avoid all knowledge regarding this game).

First thoughts:

-The music is so cheesy.
-As cool as Old school mode was, It kind of annoyed me halfway through LoG 1 so no dice this time around.
-Ironman Mode and Single Use Crystals sound like an obvious no go for a first playthrough. Did choose Hard though.
-Battlemage can fight both in front and back? Not sure how useful that would be given the combat mambo. Maybe this time around you need more tactics and party locations swapping.
-I hope there is "beat the game with 4 farmers" achievement.
-Humans seem either really strong or really weak with their racial.

Anyway I went with:

Ratling Alchemist (cool new class, this race seem to fit the most). Points in Firearms and Alchemy. Agile and Mutation as traits (Mutation looks like a huge return on investment by the end).
Wizard Insectoid (Classic Mage). Water and Earth mage though fire is probably the best, that's how it usually goes. Aura and strong Mind as traits
Lizardmen Rogue (Agility frontliner). Light Weapons and Dodge. Endure Elements (seems really good) and Agile as traits
Minotaur Barbarian (Strength Frontliner) Heavy Weapons and Armor. Headhunter (I like the idea behind this trait a lot) and Muscular.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
The magic skills combination is one of the worst though. The only thing worse would be to pick skills that don't work together at all, like fire+water.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
The magic skills combination is one of the worst though. The only thing worse would be to pick skills that don't work together at all, like fire+water.

:(. Should I just pick one and concentration?

---

Arcane
Personally I chose during my playthrough 5 fire, 3 water (only for the freeze spell), 3 air (for fireball and the mentioned ice spell) and 3 concentration. Had good times with this build (I didn't use a wizard, though, but an alchemist). Some of these points were added via skill books.

V_K

Arcane
Should I just pick one and concentration?
In my experience, all the best spells require air as either primary or secondary skill. Concentration becomes more important later on, you can survive early game without it, and it's good to have a second element in case of a resistant enemy. Earth just sucks, in any combination possible. So basically it's just either air+water (+concentration later), or fire+air (+concentration later). Air+concentration could work too, but for a more defensive approach. Oh, and 1 point of water is arguably necessary at a certain point, for the anti-elemental spell.

---

Arcane
As for the anti-elemental spell, there is also a special staff (though a bit hard to find).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I had fun with LoG 1 but 2 is so damn boring to me, I dropped it after the first area. It really is just more of the same. If you really crave more it's a good pick for sure.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
More of something awesome is not a bad thing you bozo. And Grimrock 2 has plenty of additions.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
First session thoughts:

They really tried to make the combat mambo work a bit better by restricting your space and adding lunges to the enemy. I particularly liked the Vine boss fight that 100% took me by surprise. It took me a few hits to realize that staying still and moving with care was better that than running around like an idiot. Good design there.

I restarted and took wind/fire as recommended. Damn I actually have dps now. The secrets are nice though a bit too rewarding perhaps? I found a dagger called backbitter which double my rogues damage output. But the pacing for finding them is well done for now.

Here is what I found:
-Going behind a rocky formation on the starting beach for some shoes
-Digging up near the tree by the crystal as per the letter
-Putting the sword in the second statues hand for a golden key to the Backbitter.
-Pressing a stone switch that opened a door to a beach where I lockpicked a chest.

That being said I want to from people that finished the game if the rock switches are clearly visible like in Grimrock 1? I feel like I am spending a lot of time looking at every wall out of paranoia.

V_K

Arcane
if the rock switches are clearly visible like in Grimrock 1?
I think they are, and if I'm not mistaken there are fewer of them. Secrets are much more diverse this time around.
I had fun with LoG 1 but 2 is so damn boring to me, I dropped it after the first area. It really is just more of the same.
Yeah, because the first area is so representative of the whole game.
They drastically improved character development and itemization, gave enemies more varied attack patterns to counter combat mambo, introduced various new ways to interact with environments and switched from linear dungeon to open world. Granted, it's still a puzzle-heavy RT blobber, but it's very different and better than the first game.

---

Arcane
Ludo Lense: Just remember that there are less golden keys than locks (about 14 locks and 7 keys, iirc), so you may want to save your precious keys for better treasures (and the Backbitter isn't really so useful, compared to other weapons/items).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't know if the first area is representative of the first game, so therefore my statement was about the first area. Nothing in it felt new or interesting and I am not putting in X amount of time to get to "the good bits."

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ludo Lense you're about to enter an area that will take you briefly underground before you can progress. This area can be tough, especially since the game pulls new tricks on you here.

(The secret switches in this area are kinda easy to spot - but then again, you're in the starting area, so they should be.)

But once you get topside again and move one map East - that's where most players go "Woah!" and realize the scale of the game.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Why oh why oh why did they keep the pure fucking design retardation that is keeping secrets in pits. Seriously....it was stupid in Grimrock I and it is stupid here. Now I have to quicksave and break my legs at every trapdoor. Just connect the area to the fucking dungeon at some point rather making it only possible to enter these areas by taking falling damage.

It would be like hiding warp zones in pitfalls in Super Mario.

Last edited:

---

Arcane
There is a nice item which will prevent you from being injured :)
You'll need a golden key to unlock it ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom