Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
From their Facebook page:

forest_1080p.jpg

:bounce:

Snikt

Novice
It sucks for that modder who must have spent all that time modding an outdoor tileset into LoG1 even though the engine wasn't built for it. I hope they go for a Bard's Tale II type approach with a single town, a wilderness, and the rest dungeons. Also slots for recruiting friendly monsters would be swell.

Captain Shrek

I'll delete my DM copy immediately.

It wasn't the realtime combat that made Dungeon Master such a great game back then. In fact, the interactivity and the haptic made DM so revolutionary. The character evolvement, the puzzles and traps were also great. And their graphic engine represented the best looking dungeons (with correct perspective!) at this time. FTL created a true masterpiece that was at least 3 years ahead its competitors. It's sad this company went out of business (after the mediocre DM 2).

But regarding the combat: luring strong enemies like Knights into doors to kill them by closing that door wasn't great design back then either. Same with Grimrock: you steadily have to step left and right (with a four character party!) to get strong enemies killed - very tactical. It can be fun, but after killing 50 blue raptors by mambo step dance, the combat became pretty dull.

The thing is, FPS RT combat in RPGs is not such a bad idea. The problem with this approach is one of terrible implementation of statistics for this genre. I am NOT claiming to know WHAT RPG-like mechanics fits it, but Fallout 3 sure does not. Instead of forcibly mixing the mechanics that fit Fallout for completely different perspective and environment, some one should could come up with better thought out ideas that build on the strengths of this genre.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Seems like we will get a final Blobber showdown between Grimrock 2 and Might&Magic X

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If only the combat was turned based and with more options, plus some nice story to wrap it all in the perfect package... that being said, they built an amazing engine, will most definitely buy it.

Snikt

Novice
I didn't like the linear "unlocking" of abilities in the Grimrock character system, how for example the Rogue would gain access to Backstab (or was it betray?) as a passive benefit at level 10 or something, which simply gave you a higher crit chance when attacking with dagger from behind, instead of abilities like this being active, as in the player having to actually use backstab. I guess it's unavoidable in a real-time system, but for such a short game it made party management boring in record time.

Also, it would be better if the player actually had to find Runes for spells, like Ultima Underworld.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Weird thing is that I thing Ubisoft's M&M might be a better game than Grimrock 2...

Thing is that Almost Human have proven credits, Grimrock was a certified success, Limbic on the other hand... 10 years of shovelware crap, and they are partnered with Ubisoft Paris, whose main credits these days is the Just Dance franchise.

That being said M&MX doesn't look half bad, but i'm keeping my expectations in check, the people working on it have more than justified having reservations about how it will turn out.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But Almost Human is going for more of the same, and while Grimrock was fun, all the mambo was a bit disapointing... Limbic is such a wild card that anywhing can come out of it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
But Almost Human is going for more of the same, and while Grimrock was fun, all the mambo was a bit disapointing... Limbic is such a wild card that anywhing can come out of it.

*cross fingers* Been a long time since a half decent first person party based turned combat single player computer rpg M&M game :D

That reminds me i still want to do another wizardry 8 playthrough before this comes out.

catfood

AGAIN
It sucks for that modder who must have spent all that time modding an outdoor tileset into LoG1 even though the engine wasn't built for it. I hope they go for a Bard's Tale II type approach with a single town, a wilderness, and the rest dungeons. Also slots for recruiting friendly monsters would be swell.
Not really, that tile set looks very good and distinctive from the outdoor areas that GR2 seems to have. At the very least it can still be used for a dungeon forest type level.

mondblut

Arcane
Dungeon Hack has already been done, and it sucked.

Also, I am glad I am not the one whose sight is normally locked on the minimap, not the actual game screen. Heck, in Goldbox games I spent 80% time wandering in area view mode.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Okay, I'm now hopeful again after seeing that screenshot. Now I just need an item vendor to sell my loot to!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Okay, I'm now hopeful again after seeing that screenshot. Now I just need an item vendor to sell my loot to!
THIS. I don't care if it's unrealistic, if the vendor don't fit or whatever... I would gladly sell my itens to the Moon if needed.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
That would actually be good. Don't have food as loot, it's all hoarded by monsters and/or vendors. Trade surplus equipment for food. And then you can add bartering skill!

Renevent

Cipher
Or just add money of some sort? It's a sequel, just because the first didn't have money doesn't mean the second game can't. Hell, there's even a lore friendly reason why the first game didn't have money/trading...you were a bunch of prisoners thrown into a pit lol. Well...now you are roaming around topside :)

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
They really need to expand beyond the dungeon crawler formula in some way or this will likely end up as a "more of the same" banal shit boring affair. Grimrock was definitely a fun romp but pure dungeon crawlers just don't hold my attention that well.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'd be satisfied with moderate improvements. No need for anything like a fully fleshed out world or quests or anything like that. I'd settle for the outside world sections they're obviously putting in now, an npc settlement of sorts with basic vendors/traders, better itemization, better/more interesting class talents, and a decent variety in locations.

Stabwound

Arcane
Judging by what I read, it isn't going to have NPCs or quests or anything of the sort. It's just another level with an outdoor tileset.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom