Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
As to the location of the golden lock in the Leprechaun dungeon,
it is near the 3 side-by-side trapdoors where the Leprechaun releases the giant turtles on you. IIRC, it's on one of the walls near the very first trapdoor you need to go over. There's just the golden lock there, no door in sight. Either there is a secret door/wall tied to that lock or the game's trolling us with a golden lock with no secret door attached to it.
I think you're mistaken/forgetting how that area was. I knew the lock you were talking about, but I'm 99% sure that
that lock is used by the key the leprechaun drops when you beat him up.
You're absolutely correct. My bad. Funny thing was that when I was going through the dungeon searching for that non-existent gold key, I stumbled on several wandering skeleton warriors near the Philospher's Stone, which weren't there before, one of them an archer (which I had not encountered in LoG2 before). Also, the western Twigroot Forest had respawned several wargs. Can't remember if enemies respawned in LoG1, but they sure do in LoG2. Thankfully, they do not respawn very fast (in general, I hate respawning enemies, especially if they're on a fast timer).

Also,
having visited The Cache, I know see what Unkillable Cat said above, that the gold keys work a bit differently now. Choices, choices...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Some enemies respawn naturally. Those walking branchfolk in the first forest, some turtles on the beach, those annoying Air Elementals by the castle, DAMN SPIDERS IN THE MINES, etc...

And then there are triggered spawns. I'm still trying to determine what sets them off (current theory is current party level) but that can lead to bosses making a comeback along with lots of their friends.

Shadenuat

Arcane
What's best dagger +dex damage, something on level of Bane axe?
Also, where's water shrine? I have enough power stones but can't find last shrine to convert them.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I have a "Serpent Blade" that's 13-39 damage + DEX with a +15 Accuracy bonus. Downside is that it has no special attack and it requires Light Weapons 5. That's the best one I've found so far.

The Water shrine is on the island in the middle of the map where the pyramid is.

To get there you need to figure out "The Silent One" puzzle, which I believe is the only "time-of-day" based puzzle in the game. Check the graveyard.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I have a "Serpent Blade" that's 13-39 damage + DEX with a +15 Accuracy bonus. Downside is that it has no special attack and it requires Light Weapons 5. That's the best one I've found so far.
imo moonblade is effectively better because while slightly lower damage and only +10acc, it has a three attacks special, is faster, and requires only 4 skill.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Does anyone have a list of heavy weapons and locations?
Fuckign light weapons are everywhere but my minotaur is still rockin the bone club.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I dual wield Moon Blade & Fist Dagger but latter looks weak. I think Critical is a must for Dex build, which makes it eh eh for tanking since you don't have enough skill points.

Does anyone have a list of heavy weapons and locations?
Fuckign light weapons are everywhere but my minotaur is still rockin the bone club.
Just wait, you'll find a lot. First good one is warhammer, then you'll find battle axe, two handed sword and a bunch of uniques too.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
There will come a point where you're drowning in Heavy Weapons. I ended up using Maul, a gigantic "fuck-off" hammer.

I forgot about the moonblade because I left it where it was needed...

In other news...I beat the game. The trick to the endboss is the simplest one of them all: Hit him 'till he drops. I just hadn't managed to break his shield up until now. He drops a staff that contains a spell which might be needed for some of the final secrets.

Speaking of secrets, I have 68/77 and am only missing one chest. I *think* I know where one secret may be found, but haven't figured it out. On the bright side, no one has found all 77 secrets yet - the closest one is only missing one, and I think it's the last chest that he's missing.

There's also a hidden achievement - Relic, which seems to be a reference to Grimrock 1. No one has found that either (so far).

Finally, anyone try a transmuter potion yet? They could prove quite useful in a pinch.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Haha, what the fu

81964890.jpg

serious-sam-3.jpg

In the name of holy boomstick, from that moment ye all shall be known as Experience

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
My take on it:

You have stared Death in the face in the form of 99 Mummies, 99 Mummies, 2 Magma Golems and 1 Trickster.

Best thing? Game didn't lag ONE BIT as I obliterated the horde.

Multi-headed Cow

I stumbled on several wandering skeleton warriors near the Philospher's Stone, which weren't there before, one of them an archer (which I had not encountered in LoG2 before)
Philosopher's Stone, eh? Unless that's just what you're calling the magical health crystal then I must've missed something in that dungeon. Which sounds plausible since IIRC there were a few places where I was hearing enemies.

Also don't think I've mentioned it in here yet but the more I play of LoG2 the more I like it and appreciate it even more than the first. I really enjoyed me some LoG1 and my first impression of 2 was more of the same which I was happy with, but it seems like the dungeon/world design is even sharper in 2 (And 1 wasn't shabby at all) and it's cool how the game opens up after a certain point and you're free to explore, moreso than in the floor to floor LoG1. Also impressed by Unkillable Cat's news that you can beat the game relatively quickly while skipping large chunks. Goes hand in hand with the open world. Feeling like LoG2 will be my RPG of the year. Wasteland 2 was a letdown, and while DOS was fantastic with a bro I wouldn't rate it as highly playing it by myself. Then HoBL doesn't really count since only the Steam release was this year (Although if it did count it still wouldn't be up there with LoG2, it'd be fighting DOS over the corpse of Wasteland 2) and Dragonfall doesn't really count since it's just a Director's Diamond of the Year edition. Dark Souls 2 would be pretty highly rated but it's an action game with stats. Looking over the list I see Blaggards, MMX, and Paper Sorcerer were all 2014 too. Also all good but unless LoG2 shits itself later it's still the best.

Good games. Good year. +M

Edit: Wait a minute, the Dragonfall DLC DID come out this year. God damn. 2014 just don't quit.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
In terms of improving the fuck out of the original, it's like Gothic 2 all over again. The open world feeling is fucking glorious. I salute the developers for not making more of the same but trying new things and improving nearly every aspect.

Looking forward to LoG 3 announcement.

PS. Can I please has the goblin trader and the money/gem box from Dungeon Master 2?

Shadenuat

Arcane
trickster fight WTF

Head injury is kinda a cheat. You get one on mage might just reload since you got one char out from boss fight that might last more than 20 minutes. Can't even brew potions because using mortar&pestle counts as a spell (!).

Shadenuat

Arcane
oh lol it actually does work. never noticed :lol:

my god this is the most annoying final boss of final bosses of gaming. I hate so much.
wish I had full party of lizardmen with 100 resistances right now.

And all of them fighters. TBH spellcasters are p. worthless in fights like this, where you can barely land hits by a click, not talking about fucking around with runes. And Shields don't last long enough.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Shadenuat The Trickster is actually the easier fight. My tactic was to "corner him" so when he's standing on a square I'm on an adjacent diagonal square from him, ready to pounce on him.

It's the fight AFTER where you'll rage. You have to be constantly on the move. Don't kite him, try to get as close as possible, but back off when the mirror images appear and take those out (they're not that tough). Prepare bombs, Meteor Showers and every conceivable healing item you can scrounge up. Don't waste too many bombs on the Trickster, save them for the second fight.

I ended up NOT using the special attacks against the boss, it takes too much time to make them connect.

Shadenuat

Arcane
That was exactly the fight that made me rage, I just didn't want to spoiler.

Well I outcheesed him - I locked him behind his own copy in one of corners and waltzed to death in a few seconds actually, while his shield was down. Kiting him proved to be worthless as I died 7 times.
Sadly, noble Nurglitch didn't get the XP :(
81966402.jpg

"Mlady, I tip my Warpstone to u"

Welp, the Horned Rat prevailed

Grey+Seer.jpg

Now to loot all the cheese from the island and then conquer all Old World

P.S. So in Nex castle I found a map of the island that shows locations I never been to. Are those just for style and maybe add-on?

And what did the ending mean. R we going into new dungeon or somethin.

Anyways I thought this one was better at some places but weaker at others.
I liked that pacing changed all the time and there are new and unique environments and tougher monsters, but neither combat or character building are there yet to bother with them or replay game for them.
Some locations were good, but some dragged too goddamn long (Graveyard run with all the tombs was dull and I almost dropped the game after killing 27th zombie somewhere in catacombs).
Some puzzles were nice but overall it felt game was less puzzle heavy than first one. I also very, very dislike non-universal mechanics for many aspects of game, like teleporters. Some teleporters are only for missiles, some teleport creatures, some don't. I'd prefer everything was unified.
There are not enough spells too, and the fact that Force Cage doesn't have a top was a missed opportunity. No water breathing spell too? And water is basically a death trap, my high leveled party once died because a FUCKING TURTLE locked me in a corner underwater. roofles
But overall I liked this one more which is proved by that I actually finished Grimrock 2 but couldn't finish Grimrock 1.

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My impression of the game so far:
3wiXV82.jpg

I hate this guy very much.

In other news, this is the game DM2 should have been, it actually puts the outside maps to good use exploration wise and not just as padding to make up for the short main dungeon.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Now to loot all the cheese from the island and then conquer all Old World

Turns out (I found this out from elsewhere) that each race besides Human has their own "food" that gives them stat bonuses. Rats and cheese, lizardmen and eggs, insectoids and cheese, and minotaurs and meat.

So in Nex castle I found a map of the island that shows locations I never been to. Are those just for style and maybe add-on?

The only place on that map we don't get to visit in any sense is the Docks, which is only used in the "non-true ending". But yeah, potential DLC/add-on potential there.

And what did the ending mean. R we going into new dungeon or somethin.

The games goes on about the Words of Power that shaped and created the world (universe?) and how they're kept by guardians. The Island Master is the current guardian, it is implied (but never stated) that your party of convicts will succeed him as the Guardian of the Words.

Honestly, the plot is one of the biggest drawbacks of the game. I enjoyed the game much better by simply going "I need to collect this to do this and then that" than follow any plot or storyline.

Anyways I thought this one was better at some places but weaker at others.
I liked that pacing changed all the time and there are new and unique enviroments and tougher monsters, but neither combat or character building are there yet to bother with them or replay game for them.
Some locations were good, but some dragged too goddamn long (Graveyard run with all the tombs was dull and I almost dropped the game after killing 27'th zombie somewhere in catacombs).
Some puzzles were nice but overall it felt game was less puzzle heavy than first one. I also very, very dislike non-universal mechanics for many aspects of game, like teleporters. Some teleporters are only for missiles, some teleport creatures, some don't. I'd prefer everything was unified.

I hated the graveyard as well, it's like they went "Oh shit, we're out of puzzle ideas, let's make this area combat-heavy" and just left it at that.

There are not enough spells too, and the fact that Force Cage doesn't have a top was a missed opportunity. No water breathing spell too? And water is basically a death trap, my high leveled party once died because a FUCKING TURTLE locked me in a corner underwater.

Agreed. It would be a nice nod to the Eye of the Beholder series, which is the only game that made water breathing a really serious issue. (Only in EOB3.)

But overall I liked this one more which is proved by that I actually finished Grimrock 2 but couldn't finish Grimrock 1.

Understandable. Grimrock 1 is heavily based upon Dungeon Master, which can shy people away. LoG2 is heavily based upon Dungeon Master 2, which while was more approachable as a game, just didn't have what it takes to keep people interested long-term. That is a problem that LoG2 does NOT suffer from. :)

GlutenBurger

Cipher
So we've gone from Grimrock being universally ridiculed as a dance simulator with puzzles every time it's mentioned to Grimrock 2 having three active threads (two with identical titles, apart from punctuation). Am I to conclude that, even if I grew tired of Grimrock and stopped playing halfway through, Grimrock 2 would still be worth scheduling for future play?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Halp!

I'm stuck in a small dungeon with caged teleporters where you have two pressure plates on two floor levels, the goal (as I understand) being to force a beetle to drop on a pressure plate within that cage. The beetle is sitting on the pressure plate. Now what?

Shadenuat

Arcane
The only place on that map we don't get to visit in any sense is the Docks, which is only used in the "non-true ending". But yeah, potential DLC/add-on potential there.
There is also the island of something evil, and a few other locations but the docks that I didn't feel like I visited. Almost felt like I missed 3-4 levels, but I had all 20 power gems so it could't be that way.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Halp!

I'm stuck in a small dungeon with caged teleporters where you have two pressure plates on two floor levels, the goal (as I understand) being to force a beetle to drop on a pressure plate within that cage. The beetle is sitting on the pressure plate. Now what?

Behind you, three of the five pressure plates behind the grate got lit up. Go to the upper floor and throw something on those lit-up plates. You can drop stuff through the grates.

BTW, to those who have finished the game - what are the endgame levels?

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
As somebody who projectile vomited for about 3 and a half hours after being subjected to Grimrock combat for 2 minutes, is this game recommendable? I really really hated the square dance rsi inducing fucking shit combat of the first one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom