Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2

Whiran

Magister
3. Well, that's a bogus.
To make it easier to find:

Stolen from what appears to be a dev post over at something awful said:
Do you mean the "first and subsequent levels" -thing? The bug was actually just in the descriptions: the willpower and vitality stats work as intended as far as health/energy points are concerned. We felt that the system where willpower and vitality points had a different "value" to the player depending on how early or late into the game they got the stat boosts undermined players motivations to boost the stats later in the game. So, we'll modify the descriptions and, while we're at it, do some minor attribute and trait balancing things as well.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...3665705&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post436404812

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Silly me, trying to power up the WRONG END of the machine.

Anyways, I'm in the castle now, and my guess as to where the fifth shrine is turned out to be correct. Still means I have to collect 4 more power gems, and I only know where one of them is. :-/

I have a feeling that I'll be fighting a dragon soon enough.

And yeah, LoG2 is MASSIVELY inspired by Dungeon Master 2. 2/3-3/4 of the game taking place around a castle, with the final part having you ascend the castle to the top...and beyond.

valcik

Arcane
Herder Den: The "Runemaster's Trial" puzzle. Clearly I'm supposed to write something with the pressure plates, but I'm not sure what.
This one I had figured out:
Pay attention to the spell effects flying repeatedly in the back, then use the pressure plates for creating pattern which does match with the rune pattern needed for casting that spell. The first pattern (matching with Fireball) would look like this:

ooo
xxo
xxx

Shadenuat

Arcane
Lol, if you feed ratling 3 cheeses he gets +1 random stat.

Need unlimited cheese location nao.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Made Battle Mage, forgot to put even single point into Fire Magic.
Good start.

Funny that investing 2 points into Accuracy give you ability to melee from back row.

And people lied me cause there is dung editor.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Nnnngh. Will probably wait until Pre-Christmas sale. I'm sure it'll be the same discount and hopefully most of the bugs will be squashed by then.

Multi-headed Cow

Where to download patch?

"If you want to test the beta, right click on Legend of Grimrock -> Properties -> Betas."

Not sure what he means.
Right click the game in Steam, go to properties, then go to the betas tab, then click the dropdown menu where it says "NONE" and pick the beta option.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
Wohoo, LoG2 is fun! Only just started playing and thought to give it a quick test drive only and really dig into it tomorrow, but before I know it -- BOOM, it's 4+ hours later. Well done, Almost Human!

:hero:

Two questions:
1. I've only found one skull so far, near the (dragon scene) castle behind the river. Have I missed one or is this the first you're supposed to find for your headhunting minotaur?
2. Where the heck is the gold key to the gold lock in the Twigroot dungeon (where the Leprechaun trolls you)? I've combed the dungeon and just can't find it, is it outside the dungeon, perhaps?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm now in the graveyard. REALLY CREEPY IN THERE.

Watch out for the mimic :D

Puh, I've killed dozens of them already. But yeah, it's not nice to get that chest-opening animation only to find teeth waiting for you!

WarHamster That was the first skull I found, I have 7 now, I know where the 8th one is, but the trick to that secret is eluding me (fucking time-based secrets).

As for the Gold Keys - they're a little different from the other keys. There are more Gold Key doors than there are keys, the trick is that you must choose which doors to open. I've found at least 7 Gold Keys over the course of the game, so don't despair.

Walk off the bridge that's right in front of the castle. There should be a box under one end of the bridge that contains a Gold Key.

In other news...I accidentally the game. Yes, "THE END" and all. The dragonrider is the final boss, and it's not as retarded as the boss fight in LoG1. Meteor Shower was the savior of the day, along with enough bombs to blow up the whole island. :)

BUT...this is not the true ending.

*groan*

Beating the final boss gives you a power stone and grants you access to a portal that, if entered, will trigger the ending. I never even got into the pyramid! So now I gotta reload, REPEAT the boss battle (because idiot me forgot to save) and then go back and try to beat the rest of the game.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
2. Where the heck is the gold key to the gold lock in the Twigroot dungeon (where the Leprechaun trolls you)? I've combed the dungeon and just can't find it, is it outside the dungeon, perhaps?

It's in the buried chest in the north-west of the twigroot forest. More west than the north, where the 5 wolves roam, the westmost part of it. Where is the golden lock in the Leprechaun dungeon, though?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Nnnngh. Will probably wait until Pre-Christmas sale. I'm sure it'll be the same discount and hopefully most of the bugs will be squashed by then.
What bugs bro? Game is very well polished as it is.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Just defeated the Summon Stones (which are a rather nice secret - this game's combat mechanics may be a bit questionable as too much difficulty comes from the UI being intentionally shitty, but the level design is just delicious) at lvl 4. Well, you can say 5 as my party leveled up after killing the first stone. Was cheaty as fuck, obviously - save/scummed through the whole thing as the only way I could've damaged them were the 4 firebombs I had from secret places, my fighter's hammer chop (dealt from 20 to 50 damage, but the trick was getting out of their range alive) and the lucky Lightning Rod charge. And so I abused the loading system so I get the perfect movement & all the lucky charges. Really scummy, but that's part of the game, lol - and they're not that difficult of encounter, should be more or less of a cakewalk somewhere at lvl 6 or 7.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
WarHamster That was the first skull I found, I have 7 now, I know where the 8th one is, but the trick to that secret is eluding me (fucking time-based secrets).

As for the Gold Keys - they're a little different from the other keys. There are more Gold Key doors than there are keys, the trick is that you must choose which doors to open. I've found at least 7 Gold Keys over the course of the game, so don't despair.

Walk off the bridge that's right in front of the castle. There should be a box under one end of the bridge that contains a Gold Key.
OK, thanks for the info. However,
the golden key from the box near the castle does not fit in the Leprechaun dungeon's golden lock. That key opens the force field "cage" holding the magic wand near the castle. It seems at least some of the golden keys are tied to a specific golden lock.

As to the location of the golden lock in the Leprechaun dungeon,
it is near the 3 side-by-side trapdoors where the Leprechaun releases the giant turtles on you. IIRC, it's on one of the walls near the very first trapdoor you need to go over. There's just the golden lock there, no door in sight. Either there is a secret door/wall tied to that lock or the game's trolling us with a golden lock with no secret door attached to it.

Multi-headed Cow

As to the location of the golden lock in the Leprechaun dungeon,
it is near the 3 side-by-side trapdoors where the Leprechaun releases the giant turtles on you. IIRC, it's on one of the walls near the very first trapdoor you need to go over. There's just the golden lock there, no door in sight. Either there is a secret door/wall tied to that lock or the game's trolling us with a golden lock with no secret door attached to it.
I think you're mistaken/forgetting how that area was. I knew the lock you were talking about, but I'm 99% sure that
that lock is used by the key the leprechaun drops when you beat him up. IIRC it opens a shortcut in that area. I went back there with a golden key just to double check and it doesn't work with the lock. I believe that's a brass lock which is tied to the key the leprechaun drops. Screenshots for reference:
FA0B04B1D4588066CA499BDA0100B1EB0FFB4625

01BD6812997806112DFBBA70FBCA0AC64788D892

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Yeah, those locks require the Ornate Key. Only the Leprechaun drops those, and so far they're exclusively used to get out of his deathtraps.

I'm gonna take a small breather from Grimrock as I'm utterly stuck. I have 17/20 stones, know where the 18th is but can't reach it (need a Mine Key) and I'm trying to figure out how to get into the Pyramid.

On the upside, 58/77 secrets, and know of 2 more but can't figure them out.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
2 retarded puzzles:

Meditation Spire - The portcullis will not open if the skyway is active.

Runemaster Trial - simply crap

Edit. Actually the first one is clever but I missed some things and I wasted 2h searching all the map.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Another impression: 2 warriors + 2 wizards seems to be overkill in this game.

Silenus

Barely Literate
I'm enjoying the game so far and it compares well to the original.

Can anybody enlighten me on how to get into either the Graveyard or the Crystal Mines..?

Graveyard: I have tried shifting the block around in the directions hinted at by the three notes from the Archive (assuming "tundra" = north, "desert" = south). No joy. How many times does the block have to be moved?

For the "Way of the Snail" to Crystal Mines do I need to entice some monsters to press down all the pressure pads?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm enjoying the game so far and it compares well to the original.

Can anybody enlighten me on how to get into either the Graveyard or the Crystal Mines..?

Graveyard: I have tried shifting the block around in the directions hinted at by the three notes from the Archive (assuming "tundra" = north, "desert" = south). No joy. How many times does the block have to be moved?

For the "Way of the Snail" to Crystal Mines do I need to entice some monsters to press down all the pressure pads?
archives contain the answer to the first, for the mines you just need to walk slowly (it's mentioned on some note) as in, walk on a plate, turn around completely once or twice, walk forward, repeat.

i'm really fucking digging all the puzzles so far.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
What SuicideBunny said, for the "Way of the Snail" you only need to pause for about 2 seconds on each pressure plate.

The Graveyard rock puzzle is more complex than it looks, you have to move it more than 3 times, and you have to reset it to the center before making the next step.

I finally managed to get into the pyramid. I'm not joking when I tell you this: You need to spit at the door (and every other door like it) to open it.

But the pyramid is loads of fun, the puzzles are neat and the monsters aren't THAT tough...so far. I get the feeling the "Ceremonial Chamber" on the top floor is going to be trouble.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
And I'm at what appears to be the final bossfight. And I seem to be missing something.

What's notable about this bossfight is that it takes place in a series of rooms that all have different traps, and then each room has a spike pit. Boss appears, he triggers the trap in the first room but I dodge it, I follow him into the second room and he unlocks tons of bees (Oh god, not the bees!) and I kill them all and go look for the boss. He went into an alcove where the bees emerged from and is mucking about in there. I corner him and hit him with everything I've got. Boss goes down rather easily...except that was only his first form. His second form teleports in straight lines, spams me with all kinds of spells, his melee attack has knockback (remember the spike traps?) and finally he DUPLICATES himself. I chopped about 15% of his health before he put up some shield that I just couldn't break no matter what I threw at it.

Maybe I have to use the Dispel spell, but what I'm really fearing is that I need a knockback attack of my own and to push him into the spikes. While I have a capable weapon, I'm not skilled enough for the Knockback effect of it.

Oh, and you guys are going to LOVE the fight that comes after the pyramid. My jaw dropped open when I realized what shit I was in. Then I remembered that I have Meteor Shower and started raining fiery death all around me. This fight is TRULY Grimrock's finest hour.

Last edited:
Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
THIS and DOS are crpgs of the year for me! Almost Human is my new Sir Tech | 3DO | SSI | incarnation ;) , what we need is more NPC and LoG 3 with vast, open world full of npcs . Thank You lads!
Im so happy! [Not to mention good Wasteland2 or Xulima and HOBL] What a great year to be crpg player!
IT IS REAL CHRISTMAS ! GIVE US MORE MORE MORE MORE...
tumblr_mve97csKIk1qdunk8o1_500.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom