Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock 2 Party Compositions

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I am currently playing on the hardest difficulty with Healing Crystals only being usable once.. (I didn't bother with iron man.. too intense.. I am a save scumming piece of shit)

My party composition was
  • Insectoid Battle Mage
  • Minotaur Warrior or Barbarian (I forget)
  • Human Alchemist
  • Rat Rogue

Reasoning Behind party:
  • Wide variety of weapon type specializations so I don't throw away potentially strong items because nobody can use them
  • Tried to use Racial bonuses to my advantage, Insectoids get bonus will and strength so I thought a battle mage would naturally suit them..
  • Tried to have two ranged low health classes in my back and two beefy in the front.
  • The Minotaur racial where you get +1 strength for every skull your holding seems extremely overpowered late game.. Loses effectiveness with multiple Minotaur having to share skulls though.

I feel like the battle mage is a bit lack luster.. I might of built him shitty and need to reroll.. Overall this game is amazing..

Please post your party compositions (with skill points if you aren't a lazy fuck) and give some reasons why.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Merge with other thread?

Create a LoG2 subforum, duh.

I don't think the codex is prepared for the wave of incline that is happening.. This forum structure is much better suited for a bunch of grognards sitting around a fire bitching about the RPG industry.. now that good games are actually releasing it's kind of hard to keep track of all the topics without making sub forums.

If you want to merge this into a LoG2 Mega thread, that's fine.. I felt it was sufficiently off topic enough.

Greatness

Cipher
Is having an alchemist worth it? I'm not very far in yet, but it seems passive regen/resting is good enough that I haven't needed to use potions very often (playing on hard/1 use crystals). I'm wondering if Firearms scale well into the later game, since unlike most other weapons they don't get any bonus damage from STR/DEX, not to mention their ammo isn't recoverable.

Also, is there a max level, or what level can you expect to be by end-game? I'm wondering if a single mage could get all spells or if two are needed.

Just theory crafting, but it seems like DEX based characters will be stronger than their STR counterparts, since DEX gives damage, accuracy, and evasion, whilst STR only gives damage and carry weight. Though I guess it's still worth having at least 1 STR character for the permanent potions and headhunter bonuses.

I'm not sure if I like the rat race. The +1 random stat isn't save-scummable :D and I keep getting stats that are useless for my class, plus they start with a net -2 attributes. I guess it could make a good race for Battle Mage since that class can make use of every stat, though even then it seems like specializing as just a pure caster in heavy armor would be best, meaning STR/DEX aren't really necessary. I may have underrated Humans as well, since that +1 skillpoint may be worth more than some of the other racial bonuses if the level cap is as low as it was in the original grimrock.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Is having an alchemist worth it? I'm not very far in yet, but it seems passive regen/resting is good enough that I haven't needed to use potions very often (playing on hard/1 use crystals). I'm wondering if Firearms scale well into the later game, since unlike most other weapons they don't get any bonus damage from STR/DEX, not to mention their ammo isn't recoverable.

Also, is there a max level, or what level can you expect to be by end-game? I'm wondering if a single mage could get all spells or if two are needed.

Just theory crafting, but it seems like DEX based characters will be stronger than their STR counterparts, since DEX gives damage, accuracy, and evasion, whilst STR only gives damage and carry weight. Though I guess it's still worth having at least 1 STR character for the permanent potions and headhunter bonuses.

I'm not sure if I like the rat race. The +1 random stat isn't save-scummable :D and I keep getting stats that are useless for my class, plus they start with a net -2 attributes. I guess it could make a good race for Battle Mage since that class can make use of every stat, though even then it seems like specializing as just a pure caster in heavy armor would be best, meaning STR/DEX aren't really necessary. I may have underrated Humans as well, since that +1 skillpoint may be worth more than some of the other racial bonuses if the level cap is as low as it was in the original grimrock.

I want to know this too.. I'm not sure if maybe just having an extra wizard instead would just be better.. Anyone playing on hard that has gotten far in the game.. would be curious in your thoughts on Alchemists or firearm characters in general.

Greatness

Cipher
Well this is disappointing...

I done some testing. Both Vitality and Willpower are bugged. Despite what the tooltip says they don't give any additional health or energy on subsequent levels, they just give the measly 5 health/energy per initial point.

This means those stats are pretty awful, and the traits that give +2 to them are much worse than the ones that give flat +health/energy. You also might as well choose a class that has the highest base health/energy gain per level and pick a race that has other benefits besides the attributes.

My main issue with Grimrock 1 was it's "1 stat to rule them all" character system. Seems they've done it again. Hopefully not intentionally, but how does a bug like this get past beta...

Have fun rerolling all your characters
:x

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Well this is disappointing...

I done some testing. Both Vitality and Willpower are bugged. Despite what the tooltip says they don't give any additional health or energy on subsequent levels, they just give the measly 5 health/energy per initial point.

This means those stats are pretty awful, and the traits that give +2 to them are much worse than the ones that give flat +health/energy. You also might as well choose a class that has the highest base health/energy gain per level and pick a race that has other benefits besides the attributes.

My main issue with Grimrock 1 was it's "1 stat to rule them all" character system. Seems they've done it again. Hopefully not intentionally, but how does a bug like this get past beta...

Have fun rerolling all your characters
:x

Interesting.. need to confirm this when I get home.. but if that's the case.. Wtf..? lol

Greatness

Cipher
YNdL7PX.png

14 vit vs 10 vit, same hp
10 wil vs 14 wil same mana

I took the +20 health trait on the lower vitality character and the +20 energy trait on the lower willpower character to show that all you get is the static +5 health/energy per attribute point. Additional gains per level are not working. Tooltip is wrong, don't waste your attribute points.

I guess the choice for now is either play with nerfed characters and hopefully the patch comes soon and is save-game compatible, or make optimal characters for the current bugged version only to have them be obsoleted by the patch...

Last edited:

Leonorai

Novice
Made a party with three mages, explains why i got my brain kicked in so easily.

Greatness

Cipher
Even if they do release a patch, I highly doubt the Health/Energy gains would be retroactive. So I guess I'll just go ahead and make a party with these bugs in mind.

Multi-headed Cow

Smug the human knight (Focusing armor until heavy armor without penalty, then light weapons/whatever seems useful)
Bruticis the minotaur barbarian (Focusing heavy weapons early on, then probably armor until light armor without penalty, maybe some accuracy)
SMA the skaven rogue (Focusing ranged weapons until maxed and then crit most likely)
SGC Meltdown the bug wizard (Focusing fire magic AND NOTHING ELSE (though since I hear fireball needs a point of air I'll grudgingly have to take it. Plus concentration since that apparently is how you get some neutral spells like shield, wouldn't be surprised if there's a party fire resist that uses both fire and concentration))

Reasoning is simply because that was (Basically) my Grimrock 1 party. Could've tried something more exotic, especially since melee can attack from the back row with two points in accuracy, but I figured I'd go with a vanilla mixed group.

What good is willpower to non-mages? Just curious.. Seems like a very dumpable stat for any class that doesn't need it..?
It's more useful than it would be in Grimrock 1. It supplies mana which fighty classes use when making special attacks. For example Bruticis has a named heavy axe with a chop special attack that uses 30 mana but deals double damage. It's definitely not AS useful as it is for a wizard but it's not a complete dump stat.

LeJosh

Savant
What good is willpower to non-mages? Just curious.. Seems like a very dumpable stat for any class that doesn't need it..?

Increases energy for special attacks as MHC said. Plus longer breathing time underwater, I guess.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
KK, another reroll for me. Hope this will be the final one:

Nyx Assassin & Drive B - frontline insectoid battlemages; stat points into vitality & willpower, one is earth & water, other is air&fire, traits - chitin armor & natural armor (15 protection from the start + 10 protection once I find anything magical for them to wield+25 protection after the first point of concentration & shield spelll - I hope 50 basic protection should be enough to not die that often on the hard difficulty)

Plissken - backrow lizardman rogue; stat points into vitality & dexterity, accuracy & light weapons skills, aggressive & resist all traits (rogues look like awesome damage dealers, but they're really to frail to be frontline fighters)

Dace - backrow minotaur fighter; stat points into strength & dexterity, accuracy & heavy weapons skills, aggressive & weapon specialization traits (yeah, fuck the headhunter - in the end, you need 9+ skulls for it to become better than the aggressive, not to mention all the space they hog; one shitty thing for fighter here is the starting 15 energy, but I guess I'll solve that by adding concentration later on).

Eyeball

Arcane
Anyone played with the farmer yet? Is there a point to him, because on paper he looks exceptionally turdy.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Anyone played with the farmer yet? Is there a point to him, because on paper he looks exceptionally turdy.

There are areas with nigh-endless supplies of food (fungal boss ground, for example) so, theoretically, he can get really leveled there. It depends on whether or not there is level cap in the game, though. But yeah, he's more of an extra-challenge character than anything else.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
KK, another reroll for me. Hope this will be the final one:

Nyx Assassin & Drive B - frontline insectoid battlemages; stat points into vitality & willpower, one is earth & water, other is air&fire, traits - chitin armor & natural armor (15 protection from the start + 10 protection once I find anything magical for them to wield+25 protection after the first point of concentration & shield spelll - I hope 50 basic protection should be enough to not die that often on the hard difficulty)

Plissken - backrow lizardman rogue; stat points into vitality & dexterity, accuracy & light weapons skills, aggressive & resist all traits (rogues look like awesome damage dealers, but they're really to frail to be frontline fighters)

Dace - backrow minotaur fighter; stat points into strength & dexterity, accuracy & heavy weapons skills, aggressive & weapon specialization traits (yeah, fuck the headhunter - in the end, you need 9+ skulls for it to become better than the aggressive, not to mention all the space they hog; one shitty thing for fighter here is the starting 15 energy, but I guess I'll solve that by adding concentration later on).

Yea I was hesitant to do a rogue until I found the accuracy perk at level 2 that lets you attack from the backrow.. really useful for a rogue IMO

(Dat Dota Reference)

Shadenuat

Arcane
So far I made 2 orbs and clearing various locations before crystal mines (full ratkin mutate party). I play on normal:
Dex-Knight with Punch Dagger & Crystal Shield, best heavy armor avaible, Light weapons 5, armor 4, spreading points between accuracy & athletics and stuff now. Can take some dmg, can do some damage with unique attack.
Str-Barbarian with Maul & Meteor Shield, light armor (various pieces with best stats and +str), heavy weapons 5, accuracy. Can do some dmg, can take some.
2 Battlemages with +energy trait, Concentration 1-2, one is Fire 5/Air 2, other Earth 4/Water 4/Air 1 (for ice bolt). Do gooood damage, helpful at kiting and waltzing. One of them is with staff & pearl shield, other with light orb and bombs.
Earth/Water one also has Alchemy and I've put Experience amulet on him.

Re-rolling, nah, fuck that. I'll just eat bugs, whatever. I want to finish at least second Grimrock, not spend time replaying same shit again.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Yea I was hesitant to do a rogue until I found the accuracy perk at level 2 that lets you attack from the backrow.. really useful for a rogue IMO

(Dat Dota Reference)

It seems that any kind of worthy damage dealer (a rogue or a str-based fighter or even barbarian) can't do any kind of tanking so second row seems like a natural place for them. On the other hand, battlemages are surprisingly tanky (if not the tankiest one in the game) so they're much better at the front. Or so it seems.

(I'm more proud of The Stupids reference there, actually)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom