Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun Cancelled

A horse of course

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=64468676#post64468676

So this is technically a revamp of an old article from neogaf's Mama Robotnik - based off his Post-Mortem of Silicon Knights (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503761) and general Soul Reaver development thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488564), which a lot of you probably know the details of already via thelostworlds/pillars of nosgoth etc. HOWEVER, Robotnik has recently updated a major section of his article with a lot of fresh information on a cancelled Legacy of Kain title called Dead Sun. Very, very interesting. Check the link. Will be interesting to see how/if the upcoming MP title draws from development of DS:

The Facts
  • Square Enix commissioned Climax Games to work on a new Legacy of Kain game at some point between 2009-2010. Crystal Dynamics provided some supervision on the project.
  • Square Enix had a number of requirements for the game: it must have a single-player and multiplayer component and it must feature a new main character with a story distant to the original series.
  • Climax Games worked on the single-player component. Psyonix Games worked on the multiplayer component. Both games shared art assets, but other than that were wholly disconnected from each other.
  • The single-player game went through many titles, eventually settling on Legacy of Kain – Dead Sun.
  • The target format of the game changed rapidly during development. At one point it was envisioned as a small project (possibly downloadable?), and then as a Xbox 360/PS3 retail release. In its final form, the game would have been a PlayStation 4 launch title – I am unclear whether an Xbox One or PC release was also planned.
  • A large amount of work went into the game, with a tremendous amount of hours contributed by the artists. Development had progressed to the point in which some voice acting/motion capture had taken place.
  • Square Enix eventually projected that the game wouldn’t reach their sales expectations (click here), and they decided to cancel it in 2012. One of my sources speculates that as the company had invested no money into marketing at this point, it was an easy decision for them. Some of the development team were not told about the cancellation, and still came in on their weekends to work on the game while Square Enix executives knew it would not be coming out.
  • There is a great sense of frustration that the game was not released. Due to a very strict NDA, anyone who worked on the project cannot discuss it openly without putting themselves in significant trouble.
  • “Nosgoth” - once known as “War for Nosgoth” – is the multiplayer component of Legacy of Kain : Dead Sun. It recycles the art assets from the cancelled single-player project, and has been compared strongly to “Monday Night Combat” with third-person battles using period-appropriate weapons such as crossbows.

I won't paste any of the other details on story, artwork etc. so just click the link for everything.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
VAEEE VICTUS. HUEHEUHEUHEUEHUEU(Kain's laugh after slaughter)

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
There will never be a sequel to defiance. They'll reboot the series because itd be too confusing to continue from a game that's a decade old with a twisty plot like that of LOK series for their new target audience.

Also Tony Jay is dead.

Menckenstein

Terrible. What's the point? The whole story arc led to the Reaver being whole and the Elder God being vulnerable. Kain would have completed his destiny as the scion of balance and shit.

Fucking Square Enix raping Eidos IPs so hard.

Menckenstein

Well they cut the game short, same as SR2. There's a lot more material but do you think cutting the Elder God out of the... cycle of life and death would've been endgame for Kain's quest?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The original Blood Omen was a cinematic game done right. I shudder to imagine what a reboot would look like - QTEs out the ass, dumb emotionally engaging plot, hip redesigns of the characters and mobile tie-in titles probably. The Elder God voiced by some nerd celebrity of the hour (Felicity Day?), KainxRaziel forbidden romance, coming exclusively to XBone, Q1 2014.

DraQ

Arcane
I never played any Soul Reaver game, should I?
Yes. I haven't played original BO1 (though I intend to), but the series is good as long as you stomach the minor shortcomings, usually related to things like interface or camera (SR1 has wonky interface and camera, SR2 camera is mostly good, but it has other issues, Defiance's camera is something you want to shoot someone in the face for).

I'd disregard BO2, though.

Of games I played I'd rate SR1 the highest.

evdk

Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also the game is well written and the use of english is superb.
As I have said, the LoK games are a properly done cinematic experiences while still retaining the advantages being in fact interactive media. So instead of stupid useless 10 minute long cut scenes riddled with immersive QTEs the have good writing and voice acting, while never sacrificing the game part.

Psquit

Arcane
As I have said, the LoK games are a properly done cinematic experiences while still retaining the advantages being in fact interactive media. So instead of stupid useless 10 minute long cut scenes riddled with immersive QTEs the have good writing and voice acting, while never sacrificing the game part.

True. rare for a console game.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

I wonder how LoK games would be seen if they came out in this day and age. While what you say is true they are verbose games that still depend on cutscenes to deliver the exposition, aside from Blood Omen which was at the same time very direct and relied on indirect storytelling through amazing atmosphere. Then again, people stomach MGS which is akin to a verbal diarrhea compared to LoK level of writing.

Psquit

Arcane

I wonder how LoK games would be seen if they came out in this day and age. While what you say is true they are verbose games that still depend on cutscenes to deliver the exposition, aside from Blood Omen which was at the same time very direct and relied on indirect storytelling through amazing atmosphere. Then again, people stomach MGS which is akin to a verbal diarrhea compared to LoK level of writing.

lok games without the shakespearean cutscenes is not lok in my book. MGS is derp most of the time.

evdk

Patron

lok games without the shakespearean cutscenes is not lok in my book. MGS is derp most of the time.
Silicon Knights/Crystal Dynamics somehow managed to secure a competent voice acting cast, which makes all the difference. Of course, just a few days ago someone tried to explain to me how FFX's voiceacting is actually top notch, so this distinction might be lost on some people.

DraQ

Arcane
Of course, just a few days ago someone tried to explain to me how FFX's voiceacting is actually top notch, so this distinction might be lost on some people.
Where did you hide the body?
:rpgcodex:

I wonder how LoK games would be seen if they came out in this day and age.
Let's hope we are not about to find out.
:x
Fuxking low-WIS people botching wishes all the time...

I imagine they would be rife with QTEs, puzzles, if at all present, would be on par with Skyrim's, combat would be slow, cinefaggic affair, and passing currently inaccessible location would update your quest-log which would manifest with big friendly popup telling you that you can't currently get there, while getting the ability would shower you with popups telling you to backtrack fast travel there complete with fast travel. Popups would also tell you what to do to switch planes and stuff.

I do reckon some magic would withstand the reimagining, though - for example the camera would probably be pretty much the same as it was in Defiance.
:troll:

evdk

Patron
I wonder how LoK games would be seen if they came out in this day and age.
Let's hope we are not about to find out.
Hey, i can see it: the next new thing, a cover based shooter set in Nosgoth. Experience the dark and gritty setting of the acclaimed Lok(TM) games for the first time in immersive first person view! Visit familiar place like the Avernus Cathedral or the Vorador's Mansion as well as brand new locations! Slaughter or stealth your way through more than 10 5 huge* maps!

Starring: Mike Meer as Kain, Patrick Stewart as Raziel, Brian Blessed as the Elder God and Felicia Day as Vampirella, the mysterious undead assassin with unknown loyalties.

Coming soon to all Next Gen consoles (not WiiU though).

*)May require the Expansive Levels DLC purchase

evdk

Patron
I’ve been watching this post and I thought you might want a bit more information. I can confirm that Dead Sun was a project which had been in development - but which was cancelled.

I know it’s disappointing to hear about these things out of context, and whilst some of the details released are accurate - some details are not. You know game projects can be cancelled for a variety of different reasons and I know it’s very hard to tell from images and info alone, but in the end LoK: Dead Sun just wasn’t the right game, at the right time… but you’ll have to take me at my word on that, I’m afraid.
Translation: it was so shit even we could not with clean conscience release it, who do you think we are, EA?

Obviously, it’s not usual for assets from cancelled games to be released, but given that there’s a lot out there already I thought you might appreciate seeing a few more images that were taken from the previously in-progress game.
Translation: Look ma, I'm doing PR!

As you’ll be aware, we’re currently working on a multiplayer game firmly set within the Legacy of Kain universe called Nosgoth, which we’re very proud of. It’s grown in size and scope since its initial conception and we’ll be talking more about it in the future. While we’re not working on a single-player Legacy of Kain game right now, that doesn’t mean it’s not something we’d look at making in the future.
Translation: It started as a browser flash f2p thing but we've moved beyond that to nonstop micropayments territory. Don't expect any SP games in the future by the way.

EDIT: Oh shit, that artwork. :lol:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I never played any Soul Reaver game, should I?
Yes. I haven't played original BO1 (though I intend to), but the series is good as long as you stomach the minor shortcomings, usually related to things like interface or camera (SR1 has wonky interface and camera, SR2 camera is mostly good, but it has other issues, Defiance's camera is something you want to shoot someone in the face for).

I'd disregard BO2, though.

Of games I played I'd rate SR1 the highest.
Defiance is a bad(and too easy) beat em up game. Only recommend watching the cutscenes...

CHR_CONCEPTS_SUCCUBUS_MR_FRONT_zps520853ef.jpg

Is this the Elder god girlfriend:lol:?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom