Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

LawBreakers - Cliff Bleszinski's failed multiplayer shooter

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://lawbreakers.nexon.net

Guess Cliffy has decided to take the decline of consoles in stride: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-11-cliff-bleszinski-wants-to-make-a-pc-arena-based-fps

Cliff Bleszinski wants to make a PC arena-based FPS

Gears of War and Unreal Tournament creator Cliff Bleszinski is hoping to make an arena-based first-person shooter on PC.

Unreal Tournament 3. Could this represent the arena shooter that Bleszinski wants to resurrect?

The legendary developer expressed this desire on the Pointless podcast. "I have a slide deck, I have a pitch, I have concept art, I know pretty much what I want to do," Bleszinski said. "It will be a PC experience that will hearken back to a certain type of game that we cut our teeth on."

When asked what genre it would be, Bleszinski replied, "first-person shooter. It's in my DNA." Elsewhere in the interview he stated, "I don't ever want to make a game that has a cutscene or a scripted sequence in it ever again."

As far as who he'll make this mystery game with or how many people it will require, Bleszinski said, "It will require a studio. As much as I'm impressed with No Man's Sky, that's four people. They're going to be bleeding out of their eyeballs to get that thing done."

He made it clear that while he still liked a lot of people at Epic, he would never go back there. "What I want to do is something that is familiar, yet different. I don't want to work with the old guard, per se... The last thing i need is some marketing guy saying, 'Well, traditionally this doesn't sell well.'"

"They're all rearward-looking, and it just drives me f****** bats***," he complained. On that note, he also critiqued the direction the genre has gone in, saying, "A lot of these kids playing Call of Duty- I don't think they know what a proper arena shooter is."

Last edited:

Stompa

Arcane
5 years earlier, when Cliffy still had a job: "PC is only for Sims and WoW, I don't care".
Now, when Cliffy doesn't have a job: "PC only and forever !!111"

Fuck that guy

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This guy will be buried under millions of dollars once he launches his innevitable kickstarter.

Every retarded console retard will back him up, because they all want to feel hardcore. And because console port will be the 10M stretch goal.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"I don't ever want to make a game that has a cutscene or a scripted sequence in it ever again."
There's still hope for this man then.
You're talking about the guy that spent the last years making rivers of money and prizes for creating Gears of War and infesting the world with chest-high walls and popamole cover-shooting...

Athelas

Arcane
"I don't ever want to make a game that has a cutscene or a scripted sequence in it ever again."

There's still hope for this man then.
How so? He could just be referring to the Valve-style not-really-cutscenes where you're forced to listen to a character blabbing on for 10 minutes, which I personally find more annoying than 'regular' cutscenes. This is Cliffy B. we're talking about.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Who gives a flying fuck about a spiritual successor to unreal tournament?

If it was labeled "Spiritual Successor to Unreal" I might have been mildly interested, but it's obvious this man won't be making anything worthwhile ever again.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
So a guy whose main contributions to UT were some ok maps is the guy to resurrect the genre? Colour me skeptical.

Anyway, I'm happy playing UT99 for my arena shooter fix. If I get tired of that, I can always play some Q3. Honestly super-detailed modern graphics don't improve this sort of game (often the opposite), and popular alternatives like cel-shaded style mostly look fuck-ugly. The two kings of the genre are still good, and they're all I need.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I hope it will be on UE 4 because UE3 is buttfuk ugly and SHINY like dog's balls that was rescued from Chernobyl accident.
Also most important thing - modding. UT3 required some strange efforts when older one was just "drag&drop" based on file formats.
Wonder if the exchange double tap dodge for cover system or whataver.
And get the UT3 composer because music is the only thing in UT3 that doesn't suck...

Actually he can go to hell, two faced pitchforked hypocrite...

Black

Arcane
Awww, look at what came crawling back. Maybe he should try making some spreadsheets, since PCs are for WoW and Sims.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
So the only good news is that - it will be UE4. Less shiny, my ass...

Name is Silverstreak. Not catchy like Unreal, Quake, Blood etc.

Overboard

Arcane

That's Epic's game, not his.

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...-be-the-developers-first-unreal-engine-4-game

"This is a PC designed game, shipping exclusively on the PC," Bleszinski said. Epic showed screen shots of Fortnite running on the next-gen Unreal Engine, showing off gorgeous lighting and modeling advances that accentuate the cartoonish style of the game.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
As entertaining as it was to watch CliffyB flail about in the attempt to stay relevant after he left Epic Games now is probably the time to stop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom