Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Last movie you have seen + rating

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by Ermm, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Ezekielgender: ⚧ Learned

Ezekiel
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Holiday (1938) - 8/10

Blade Runner 2049 - 7/10?

The first movie was very noir. This was barely noir at all. But at least it's not the rehash that Star Wars was. I guess it was good, though. I guess. It's too long. Good visuals. Soundtrack, I'm not sure about. It was just really aggressive and unmemorable. Why is the music right after the ending, when the credits start playing, so... angry? Why would you follow that moment with anger? I'm also not sure I buy the premise. That the child would be that important/symbolic. And I felt like the ending made the whole struggle feel pointless. She's useless. The movie felt thematically pointless. Or messy. The detective work was kind of dumb. "Only one place has that much radioactivity." Really? At least the African guy from Captain Phillips got some work for that scene. I'm also grateful they didn't say Deckard is a replicant.

^ Top  
  2. Falksigender: ⚧ Scholar

Falksi
    Parrots:

Scott - Deckard's a replicant
    Ford - Deckard's not a replicant
    RGH - Something to consider after
    Villeneuve - It's not clear

It's perfectly plausable we see a 3rd film where Deckard actually turns out to be human, and the point is there's still plenty to consider & debate, with various plot threads being open to the viewers interpritation. Hence the brilliance of both films.

^ Top  
  3. InspectorRumpolegender: ⚧ Arbiter

InspectorRumpole
    Parrots:
    The Dark Tower

Just doesn't work.

8 books crammed into 1h30m. Everything feels rushed, action scenes are badly lit, and there's only a few memorable scenes. The world is not believeable.

The problems with making this a series of movies instead of just one, is that the source material just doesn't feel very original these days. It just feels like a mashup of better movies.

4/10

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Wulfstandgender: ⚧ Liturgist

Wulfstand
    Parrots:
    Did they really try to cram the whole series into one movie? I thought that it was mainly an adaptation of the first book. Haven't touched any of the books.
    Saw it myself a few days ago, what an absolute shitshow of a movie. Nothing worked.
    And to think I actually wanted to go see this in the theaters initially when it came out.

^ Top  
  5. InspectorRumpolegender: ⚧ Arbiter

InspectorRumpole
    Parrots:
    Actually, I don't know. I haven't read the books either.

Show Spoiler
    I just assumed they did, since they killed The Man In Black

^ Top  
  6. Old Onegender: ⚧ Magister

Old One
    Parrots:
    After Hours (1985) :4/5:

This film is a comedy of sorts - a Kafkaesque odyssey through New York's SoHo district at night, directed by Martin Scorsese and written by Joseph Minion. It stars Griffin Dunne, Rosanna Arquette, Teri Garr, Linda Fiorentino, and a host of others famous actors in small parts.

Dunne plays Paul Hackett, a lowly office employee who meets a girl at a coffee shop. She gives him a number to call, and he does. Even though the situations Hackett finds himself in seem a little strange at first, things appear to be going well...but not for long.

Comedy by Scorsese is not 100 small laughs, but 5 really big ones spaced out by anxiety and dread during a single night when everything and anything that can possibly go wrong, does. It's very fun to watch a movie when you have no idea what's going to happen next, but you know it's going to be something. Unusual and highly recommended.

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Melangender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Melan
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Blade Runner 2049 (2017): Expected nostalgic meh, got a good movie that actually looked right, sounded right, and actually felt like a proper Blade Runner sequel taking cues from a good Philip K. Dick story (plus your on-your-nose Kafka references). The Harrison Ford arc felt forced; this is the kind of thing which makes sequels feel like they take place in smaller worlds than the originals did (you can see this in the original Star Wars trilogy). There were inevitable concessions to the new Hollywood superhero blockbuster style. The big bad guy is more dorky than menacing. I am not completely convinced by the way the plot goes this or that way in places. But it totally has the style nailed down, in a larger-scaled, more monstrous way. The sounds are aggressive, the modern landscape is alienating, and society is FUBAR (is the city still populated by humans, or are they mostly replicants of one sort or another?). There is lots of neon. There are gratuitous throw-away lines spoken in the Hungarian vernacular. I am sold on this movie.

:neveraskedforthis: but it turned out all right in the end.

:4/5: / :5/5:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. InspectorRumpolegender: ⚧ Arbiter

InspectorRumpole
    Parrots:
    Just ordered imax tickets for tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Starwarsgender: ⚧ Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    I would love to see it at an imax theatre. It's one of very few movies in recent memory where I actually thought it was worth seeing it at the cinema.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    There's a vast amount of movies currently being made that are primarily designed for imax screenings, many of the people saying these are shit will be people viewing them in the incorrect format. Its the difference between watching the vastness of space on a small television screen and going to an actual planetarium.

^ Top  
  11. Sodafishgender: ⚧ Arcane

Sodafish
    Parrots:
    Deakins is on record as saying his preferred version is the regular 2D widescreen print.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Spotswoodgender: ⚧ Learned

Spotswood
    Parrots:
    The Long Goodbye
    :5/5: :5/5:

This is one I watch every year, sometimes twice a year. Great music (John Williams), fuckable lesbians, all the dialogue is right, Gould's 30s noir swagger amid late 70s LA, the story's interesting, asshole cops, Jew mafia cunts - everything's there for a Marlowe movie, except the annoying romance they hit us over the head with in The Maltese Falcon.

My only problem with it is this scene doesn't last long enough:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ghostdoggender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    I agree it's a very good movie. You just have to accept, if you've read the actual Raymond Chandler story, that it doesn't have much to do with the book. Robert Altman adds some awesome randomness and whacky situations.

Also Arnie makes one of his first appearances as a bouncer thug.

^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again torogender: ⚧ Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    Logan Lucky (2017) - :1/5:

A couple of rednecks pull off the perfect heist. Famous actors, good cinematography, even good acting but the script is a complete non-sense.
    I guess the director wanted to created a feel good story but that's simply not possible when the script is shit and one of the main characters has no comedic timing (Adam Driver).

Blader Runner2049 (2017) - :1/5:

I wanted to see this because the net is filled with stupid spoilers. I had hopes after I saw the good ratings above and the overall movie's reception.
    It has excellent visuals, music, sound, effects and everything technical is almost perfect for illustrating an alternative LA reality. But that's about it: the main script is shit.
    Someone mentioned that "Joe" is doing real detective work. Nope, he doesn't do shit or anything remotely resembling intelligence. He is just a zombie stumbling upon crucial clues, locations and even important characters.
    The acting, the dialogues and the scenes are so stiff and artificial that it hurts. Bad actors trying to perform great theatrical acts.
    Show Spoiler
    I wanted to scream when Robin Wright's characters was murderer. Not that I cared about her character but the entire scene was so fucking awful. Luv was a psycho-bitch for no reason.
    Harrison Ford is a sad sell out. Nobody wants to see a 70+ guy fighting even if he had an action role in the previous movie. Han Solo's death was pointless but Deckard's death is long overdue.
    Bastista's character could have killed Joe but he didn't and that's why we got 2 hours of movie. Why they cannot torture him on Earth? What is this shit with inventing rules during the game!?
    At some point I stopped counting the plot holes and around that time some guy started snoring in the cinema. This is the only moment during the movie when I smiled and unfortunately it was for the wrong reasons.
    Great ending: two kids fighting in a bath tub. So much tension, so little soap. Fucking garbage.

Bottom line: Everything works in this movie except the main story which is a pointless mental masturbation about replicants, live and other shit.
    The director was more interested in the prestige of directing Blade Runner's sequel than the actual story. That's why I give the movie one star because he did not butcher some random shit, he butchered the sequel to a great movie.

But there is a silver lining: Thematically the movie is more cyberpunk than Ghost in the Shell and visually is the probably the most impressive post-apocalyptic movie in years.
    Some scenes were taken straight out of Judge Dreed. I know this is a retarded comparison to make but that's what crossed my mind.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. IncendiaryDevicegender: ⚧ Arcane The Real Fanboy

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    "The Maltese Falcon is a 1941 film noir written and directed by John Huston in his directorial debut, and based on Dashiell Hammett's 1929 novel of the same name."

"Philip Marlowe is a fictional character created by Raymond Chandler. Marlowe first appeared under that name in The Big Sleep, published in 1939."

^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again mastroegogender: ⚧ Arcane

mastroego
    Parrots:
    Blader Runner 2049 :1/5: AND :3/5:

I wanted to skip this. Seriously.
    But friends wanted to see it, and you know how it is.

Anyway, I guess among the "sequels that shouldn't have been done", it doesn't fare too bad. Still, its original sin remains in full capacity: this movie shouldn't have been done.
    Also, the way many things have been "updated" is just sad, especially for us Prestigious Codexers.
    Let's see:

• The "brutal replicant capable of depth, whom eventually you feel even a bit sorry for", AKA the character once played by Hauer, has been "updated" to - you guessed it! - a woman.
    • There is no more gloomy background, instead we get a very gloomy, fully explicit social commentary. See following points.
    • The ecosystem has collapsed in 2020 (why so early, you'd ask? Obviously because of Drumpf, you can't help but sense unsaid!).
    • Largely gone is the Chinese: the multikulti city basically speaks, by now, Russian! See what happens when you let Russian hackers elect Drumpf?!?! (I'm convinced this was a last-minute change, I'm sure they feel so proud!).
    • The inner struggle and raw desperation of the artificial but sentient beings is gone, replaced by the desire for a REVOLUTION, you know, for rights and diversity and equality and stuff. I kid you not.
    • Man is evil and will keep exploiting children - just, like MILLIONS of them, because in the future there will be more of everything bad!
    • Generally speaking, everything is just more (after all it's a sequel, right?): cities were filled to the brim? Well now hobos will station right OUTSIDE YOUR DOOR!
    Ok I'll stop here. The honest vote for the movie would be 1 Troll, because the end wasn't entirely uncool.

But I feel it's fair to add a second vote, this time, as you see above.
    The movie does manage to recreate some of the atmospheres and the visuals of the original, updating them for the 30 years span essentially without betraying them.
    Mind you, it's no small feat.
    The direction is more than solid (my opinion doesn't change here, Villeneuve is one of the best currently active directors): for one thing it captures the scope of the sceneries and makes you feel small at times.
    Yet the best moments of the movie (and of the music) are the ones that directly recall or evoke the original. That tells you something.
    So there is a measure of quality to be found, but since mimicking is easier than creating, the second vote is 3 stars.

EDIT: half a point at least awarded because I liked the Daryl Hannah look-alike: nice catch (if that was the intent, which it must have). I believe she's the actress from the series Halt and Catch Fire.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Iznaliugender: ⚧ Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Parrots:
    I am wholly convinced that you should go back to watching Battlefield Earth atfter this.

• retadred retadred x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Spotswoodgender: ⚧ Learned

Spotswood
    Parrots:
    Haha, yeah he's the first to undress in his only scene. He's ripping his clothes off and the little guy that shadows Marlowe is in the back all shy... :D

That's a series I want to read. Chandler (Leigh Brackett too?) made noir; there isn't a detective or PI who doesn't draw from his well, at least second hand.

IncendiaryDevice
    The Maltese Falcon is great. If anybody hasn't seen it, and I sort of doubt that anybody in this topic hasn't, they need to go find it on a torrent. The only reason I choose The Long Goodbye or The Big Lebowski over it is the melodrama (at least how its portrayed in the movie, I can't speak for the books). Otherwise its top two or three noir in my list.

^ Top  
  19. Stokowskigender: ⚧ Arcane

Stokowski
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

Arrival (2016) :1/5:

Spaceships crewed by the universe's lamest taggers land and Amy Adams is sent to decipher their language. Perhaps it would help matters if she EVER SPOKE LOUDER THAN A FUCKING WHISPER. I rewatched this recently in an attempt to understand why some think it's good, and still came up blank. It's dull, stupid, and contrived. The notion that learning Space Esperanto will magically fix your sad little life is retarded beyond belief, and the revelation of non-linear time is wildly mis-handled. The necessary implication that free will is dead surely ought to be a deeply troubling experience rather than the cop-out presented here (check out Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five for deft examination of such concepts). The soundtrack/soundscape is sensitive and atmospheric, mainly because it owes a great debt to Stockhausen's vocal masterwork Stimmung, and for that alone the film earns one troll.

[​IMG]

Mr Holmes (2015) :3/5:

An aged and ailing Sherlock Holmes (Ian McKellen in frail-but-relentless old bastard mode) battles senility as he seeks to solve the half-forgotten case that lead to his retirement. The stereotypical Sherlock Holmes-isms are either absent, mocked, or kept well within the service of the slow-moving drama. Less a crime/detective caper then, and more a set of sorrowful interlocking character studies. It works (despite Laura Linney's presence - how does an actress this mediocre keep getting work? Was the casting made with US Indie film audiences in mind?) but it's certainly not for everyone. Even some Sherlock Holmes fans may be annoyed by seeing the character employed in this way, so far from his full vigour, and in a manner quite distinct from the Arthur Conan Doyle stories. Or they might love it. Who knows? I found it a solid enough drama to be worth my time, though it's not as exceptional as initially hoped.

[​IMG]

Noah (2014) :2/5:

Biblical fable as post-apocalyptic sci-fi tale? Sure, why not? Anyone who lived through the Star Wars prequels realises nothing's sacred anymore. Director Aronofsky's ecological posturing is about as subtle as a Trump tweet and Hermione Granger is annoying (naturally), but the rock ents are cool, and it seems oddly appropriate that montage scenes are filmed like pop music videos. I've seen worse, but at times it's probably only the big budget insulating this from coming across as completely demented as it truly is.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Jedi Master Radekgender: ⚧ Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Parrots:
    I see. So it is close to the original source?

:troll:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Poosgender: ⚧ Arcane

Poos
    Parrots:
    haha well played that man

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again agentorangegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    [​IMG]

:4/5:

high T movie. really refreshing to see a film that shows fight scenes without any shaky cam or unnecessary cuts, where the punches look, and feel, like they are connecting.

^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again torogender: ⚧ Arcane

toro
    Parrots:
    Vince is still trying to look menacing!? What a shitty actor.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again agentorangegender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012
    he could beat the shit out of your faggoty manlet ass

• [citation needed] x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • butthurt x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. InspectorRumpolegender: ⚧ Arbiter

InspectorRumpole
    Parrots:
    Brawl in Cell Block 99

One of the best action/crime/drama movies I've seen in a long time

I knew nothing about the movie before seeing it, and I wasn't sure what to expect from the cheesy title.

It starts out like a gritty drama/crime movie, about a no nonsense hard boiled guy, who after a drug deal gone sour, goes to prison, and finds himself in debt to a drug lord.

You know, the kind you've seen before. Good guy (deep inside) made some bad decisions in life, has a wife on the outside. Has to battle injustice etc.

But somewhere halfway through the movie, it switches gears and becomes an extremely brutal and gory action flick. To the point where it's actually a pulp movie.

But it transitions extremely well, and parts just fit together.

In hindsight, I should have probably know it would be a pulp movie, all the clues were there.

The 70's soul music, Don Johnson and Udo Kier, and the director from Bone Tomahawk. (I didn't know he directed it when I put it on).

All in all it's extremely entertaining.

The one-shot fights are raw, Vince Vaughn is great a the protagonist, and the gore is over the top.

EDIT: It's over 2 hourse, but they just fly by. Something I find is very hard to pull off in action movies.

8.5/10

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 1:01 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)