Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Last movie you have seen + rating

Discussion in 'Codex Public Library' started by Rasputin, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Aeon Flux

Okay, the movie was retarded, but gawd...Charlize Theron, and her MAJESTIC body. Why on earth are women such splendid creatures?
    ^ Top  
  2. MisterStone Augur

MisterStone
    Well, the good news is, you're not gay M:
    ^ Top  
  3. Jick Magger Arcane Patron

Jick Magger
    Serpent in the Staglands
    Just watched the new Tintin movie, and I liked it alot. Admittedly I've never read a Tintin story in my life (I was always more of an Asterix and Obelix kinda guy myself), so I can't really judge its faithfulness to the source material, but I thought it was a whole lot of fun. The story's admittedly very silly and occaisionally feels disjointed (at points just feeling like a random series of events barely jumbled together), but the action was good, the CGI was impressive enough to mostly avert the feeling of uncanny valley, and the voice work was very good. I'd definitely recommend it.
    ^ Top  
  4. hoopy Savant

hoopy
    Watched Spirited Away again. 5/5, obviously.

I think what separates this—and other Miyazaki films—from American animation is that it's grounded in reality and takes itself seriously. The protagonist is a normal girl with realistic behavior, and the spirit world is treated as a real and logical place inhabited by more or less realistic characters (in terms of behavior, if not necessarily appearance). There are no musical numbers or wisecracking animal sidekicks or any of that shit. The film's style would work just as well for a realistic drama like Only Yesterday (also by Studio Ghibli), there's nothing cartoonish about it. Thinking about how the same story would have been handled by Disney just makes me cringe.
    ^ Top  
  5. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Yeah, great movie. I would also recommend Princess Mononoke to anyone that didnt watch it yet for some insane reason.
    ^ Top  
  6. Shannow Waster of Time

Shannow
    In Time 3/5

I really like the general concept and the parabel on capitalism.
    But the the way the concept was implemented it had a few flaws that I wasn't really able to get over:
    1. If people saw how little time they had left, there'd be chaos. Nobody'd simply accept death. With money it's far more abstract.
    2. That time can be taken off somebody without his consent. The problem ties in with 1.
    3. A whole society really couldn't realistically work that way worldwide.

The story also suffered from a few holes and lots of deus ex machina instances.

But I made myself accept those and some other flaws and after that the movie was entertaining.
    ^ Top  
  7. gromit Arcane

gromit
    Ides of March. A fantastic cast from top to bottom. Clooney and Hoffman aren't as good as they usually are, but Giamatti's as good as he can be when someone sees fit to let him. Poor talented bastard, forever "TV ugly."

Rock-solid storytelling; as things progress and new bits emerge, it's obvious they're all going to lead somewhere, but every character is too busy gaming the hell out of each other to expect things to sit still long enough for your first predictions to come (completely) true.

The plot is nothing wildly original - it's your standard "politics are dirty, and you'll get dirty playing them" stuff, and it's certainly dramatized in parts. Still it's The Wire to other films' Law & Order in that it's more honest, and has more and better things to say about the process (even if you don't agree with the policies.)

Solid three out of four TACOs. It's tempting to give it even more, because the last two minutes are just that good.
    ^ Top  
  8. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    I think i gave it 4/5 few pages back. For being so well done if nothing else. Great supporting cast. Very true.
    I only didnt get was Gosling running for president himself at the end or just continuing with his original job?

Also, talking about Clooney - The Descendants.
    A really bittersweet, low key, down to earth drama about father and his two estranged daughters going through some rough times.
    Set in Hawaii setting that you usually dont see in movies which makes the whole thing... fresh as setting is concerned.

Its sad... but not depressing. Very human overall.

4/5
    ^ Top  
  9. gromit Arcane

gromit
    HERE BE IDES OF MARCH SPOILERS

Neither, he's continuing with Paul's old job - campaign manager. At this point, the deals are cut, and Morris is the democrat on the ticket. Through the feed in his ear, you can hear Morris giving a speech, the crowd cheering, etc. Then you hear the reporter, "we now go to Ryan Gosling's character (I forget his name)" who then essentially asks him what changes and strategies led to turnaround that had them sweeping the primaries. Film ends here, but the next line would be some fantastic bit of vague inspirational nothingness, as opposed to: "Well, I was able to quadruple-cross my mentor out of his job, because I screwed the same dead pregnant intern as our Boss... after that, it was just a matter of strong-arming him into selling cabinet positions for delegate votes."
    ^ Top  
  10. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    yeah, yeah, that was one of the options.
    I just thought that it may be happening much later in time, maybe when Clooney was running for second term since it seemed strange that Gosling was giving an interview for TV.
    I thought, aha, maybe he is going after Clooneys job, as ultimate revenge.

But its all good anyway.
    ^ Top  
  11. gromit Arcane

gromit
    Not a US resident, I take it?

Both the media and supposedly some element of the population (we'll call them "political enthusiasts") have accepted "the game" of it is too well-known and blatant these days to pretend it's not a driving factor in and of itself. So, what else to do but embrace it as the actual story, and sell the ever living fuck out of it? This is why people like David Axelrod and Karl Rove become minor celebrities before ever setting foot in public office.

There's always time to fill, Special Political Correspondent Bob Waverly likes to look smart, and we all know how the whole thing can be gamed. So in 2008, you have journalists proudly filling into the so-called "spin room" to have Axelrod answer questions on the meanings and goals of speeches minutes after the fact. Before that, you have said "enthusiasts" ooh-ing and ahh-ing even when they know Ari Fleischer is feeding them bullshit, because "he's smooth, what a tap-dance, he's good at his job."

So great. In a land full of uninformed, apathetic voters (not like that's exclusive to here) a good chunk of the people paying the closest, most careful attention stared too deeply into the abyss and are now impressed when they're lied to not even convincingly, just lied to "well." Then, they go and tell their friends to make "strategic votes" instead of just ticking a box next to the guy they're most likely to settle for.

The latter played a part in the film, with republican talk-radio hosts telling ye goode and faithful Republicans to vote for the further-left Democratic candidate - to keep the "more electable" Morris from running against their man in the general election. The truth is, this happens disturbingly often in most states with an "open primary," these days without much prompting from a public figure, despite it spitting directly in the face of a law intended to make the best of a two-party system, if not work directly against it.

I can't imagine registering to vote in a state where someone isn't allowed a say on who runs against the incumbent, simply because the capital letter after their names doesn't match a previously declared party fealty, but now it's simply naive to not foresee it being abused... and a disturbing number of people are starting to interpret that as clever and proper use of the system.

Sigh, and end rant.
    ^ Top  
  12. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Yeah i got it. I just had that thought in the end, and there was nothing to be completely sure because the movie ends right there so i had to ask.
    No, not from US.
    ^ Top  
  13. Wulfstand Arbiter

Wulfstand
    Anonymous. Brilliant movie, it tells us the story of how Shakespeare was, in fact, a fraud, and that all of his plays had been written by Edward de Vere, earl of Oxford. Excellent cast and setting, the whole plot made me think of A Song of Ice and Fire's dark twists.
    I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone, 4/5.
    ^ Top  
  14. Suchy Arcane

Suchy
    The Rum Diary
    Fucking awesome, 5/5. If you liked Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, you won't be disappointed. It's been a very long time since I was honestly laughing out loud in a cinema.
    [​IMG]
    ^ Top  
  15. gromit Arcane

gromit
    Thank you two (and Hiver.) Those (and Ides) were ones I was very interested in, but very worried about. They're now my next two to watch.

Suchy, you pasted the url inside and img tag, and it flipped out because it was already a link. DarkUnderlord I guess. While I'm at it, as above if an img is written with brackets, then it merrily eats the rest of the text unless you close the opened filter tag - a way dumber issue but still, I lost most of a post to it.

How're the options / control over order of operations in XenForo's filtering?
    ^ Top  
  16. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    lolwut?

Code:
    Show me an example of this plz
    ^ Top  
  17. Suchy Arcane

Suchy
    I didn't paste any url, nor created that tag. It happens if I just edit a post, for some reason a broken img tag gets attached... It doesn't happen every time though, can't find a pattern for this.
    ^ Top  
  18. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    The Thing (2011)
    1/5, worst movie I've seen in years. Everything was bad about it.
    ^ Top  
  19. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Kate Winslet Whateverwasherlastname was at least worth a 1.25/5 don't you think?
    ^ Top  
  20. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    I'm fairly sure I didn't see Kate Winslet in this. Did she voice the thing?
    ^ Top  
  21. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Mary Elizabeth-Winstead was her name!

*oldfagdementia*
    ^ Top  
  22. Zed RPG Codex Staff

Zed
    *googles*
    Ah, yes, that was her. The protagonist.
    Yes, she's the reason for the 1 point, basically. Because she looks pretty.
    ^ Top  
  23. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Anonymous

Its far from brilliant.
    What is brilliant in it is the visuals. Thats a sight to see in a sense, especially the views of London of that era from the air, including the people milling about in the streets bellow.
    The atmosphere, the costumes, the theaters of that time, audience and their reactions to Shakespeares writing quality.
    The actors are very good and the main theme is interesting and, really... when you hear the main arguments for it you cant help but to believe it is true, at least in the sense that William was probably not the real writer of those works.

What is bad in the movie is that not enough time is spent on that, especially in the sense of not explaining what each play or novel had to do with current situation in England, as a source of "speaking against the government or society".
    Even as a tool for inciting public rebellion.
    Past just putting one actor in costume and makeup that resembled a certain one real character who was not very liked, apparently.

And the worst is the incest plot that gets too much time and exposition, despite being the most unprovable thing and basically some sort of drama rumor or gossip.
    If you can just put that behind as quite unnecessary and typical Hollywood bullshit the movie works quite well all in all.

3/5
    ^ Top  
  24. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    You mean like the "remove formatting" button in the top left corner of the editor?

The rest are common issues with WYSIWYG editors in rich text mode. For that, click the "aA" in the top right of the editor to go to plain text mode. Otherwise, go to your preferences and remove the tick next to "Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages" option.
    ^ Top  
  25. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    I woke up, made myself a coffee and watched the new american version of Girl with a Dragon Tatoo.
    Since in that condition im extremely sensitive i was surprised how well it sat with me in the end.

Its really a good and respectful "adaptation". It happens in Sweden for starters, not in US. Even language is sometimes Swedish in the background, or news papers or books characters read.
    And its completely the same as the original. Completely.
    Except one "small" detail in the finale, which i cant figure out for the life of me. I mean, i cant figure out why that was changed at all.

Both Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara do a pretty damn good job and i somehow even like her Lizbeth a bit more but thats probably because i watched the Swedish sequels to the original movie a few days ago and they are almost completely just watered down shit.
    The villain did not turn so well as in the original, for some reason.

4/5
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)